Theodore Expected to Start

Although Coach Bruce Boudreau wouldn't say which goaltender is going to start the season opener in Boston tonight, it appears as though Jose Theodore will get the nod based on the morning skate. Theodore came off the ice much earlier than Semyon Varlamov, which is usually a pretty good indication that he'll play.

When a reporter asked Boudreau, "Goalie tonight?" the coach responded, "Yes."

Well, one member of the Caps is already in midseason form.

Some other notes from the skate:

*Based on tonight's lineup, it's apparent Boudreau plans to flip-flop right wings Alexander Semin and Mike Knuble this season based on matchups. Knuble spent more time skating with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom during training camp than Semin did, yet Semin will be on the top line against Zdeno Chara and the Bruins tonight.

"I have my thoughts and my reasons, and I think they'll stay my thoughts and my reasons," Boudreau said. "If it does anything like it did last year, we'll move around our forwards a lot. It makes it difficult for other teams to pre-scout us, because it's two totally different looks."

*The Bruins are 10-0-2-2 in their last 14 games at TD Banknorth against the Caps.

"It's not the building, they have a pretty good team," Ovechkin said. "It's good we have start against a great team so we can see if we ready for the season."

*Michael Nylander took the morning skate, but he won't play tonight. When Boudreau was asked on Wednesday why the team would promote Kane instead of shuffling the lines to accommodate Nylander, he said: "It's well-documented that we're trying to do something. It's just in the process. We'll let the process play out. Whether it's Michael or the Washington Capitals or the fans, [nobody] wants to see this drag on. I don't think it's good for Michael and I don't think it's good for us. Hopefully the resolution comes rather quick."

Of Kane, Boudreau said: "He's a bigger left wing that we had [in Hershey] when I won the Cup. You're asking a guy to play the best nine minutes he can." The primary reason Kane's here, though, is because his league-minimum salary ($500,000) allowed the Caps to shoehorn under the salary cap by Wednesday's 3 p.m. deadline.

*Word in Pittsburgh on Chris Bourque, by the way, is that he'll be their 13th forward.

*Neither Tomas Fleischmann nor Eric Fehr are on LTI, so that means the Caps are hoping both will be ready to play before 10 games or 24 days. When they come back, that will allow the Caps to send down a player or two and get some much-needed cap relief.

*Tim Thomas, of course, will be in net for the Phil Kessel-less Bruins. Speaking of Kessel, I went to Dunkin' Donuts in North Station for breakfast. On the wall, there's a nice mural with several of the key players on it. One problem: they had to cut out Kessel, who was traded to Toronto. Kessel was replaced by another Bruins player wearing the wrong color jersey.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 1, 2009; 12:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup: Caps at Bruins
Next: Varlamov to Start Saturday

Comments

brought over from last thread.

Here's something to get it going. Game 1...a new year. Ready to roll.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Yes." BB cracks me up. :)

Posted by: hillg | October 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I <3 Boudreau! He's such a clown.

Why yes, yes we will have a goalie tonight, LOL!

As far as the Bruins vs. the Caps in their own barn, to quote Han Solo, "NEVER tell me the odds!"

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

I'm pretty sure Ovechkin could successfully navigate an asteroid field.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | October 1, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@minusculeb (from last thread) - We are not playing an AHLer over Nylander; we are playing a Left Wing over a Center. There's a difference. Nylander does not play well at wing, and that is what we need on the fourth line. We played him as a winger last season, and he was TERRIBLE.

Also, as someone else pointed out, Giroux would have to clear re-entry waivers to play, and that would leave the AHL's finest goal scorer up for grabs to any NHL team that needs a scorer. Like... Tampa Bay. Or the New York Islanders. At half price.

@sargeantmofo - Maybe because he isn't hurt?! Hello, rules and CBA.

@hillg - Re: opening video - Yes, it will be different; Green Tweeted that he was going to film it a couple of weeks ago.

@SmallZ827 - Damn skippy he can! He does it all the time. Only the "asteroids" are the other team's defensive line. ;-) And their forwards. And their goalkeeper...

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Well, if Flash and Fehr aren't on LTIR, then the only way the team is under the cap is by not counting Backstrom's bonus. That's a $1.65M hit that will bite into next year's cap if it isn't addressed.

Hopefully the Nylander thing is settled sooner rather than later.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

what's this Nyls rumor that people keep mentioning but aren't disclosing? the one that people say would be "awesome" if true...?

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 1, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

what's this rumor that people keep mentioning but aren't disclosing?

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 1, 2009 1:02 PM

+++++++

Go back to the Morning links thread. It was discussed there.

Posted by: pstenigma | October 1, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@sargeantmofo

Nyles said that for every day he doesn't play, he will donate his salary to the fans that support him.

Posted by: Fro_ | October 1, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Reposting my response from the last thread:

To back up the other females on this board, I watch hockey (and other sports) because of reason [B].

The teams I like rarely change over the years. An attractive player is not going to change my loyalty if he switches teams, nor will I find a replacement on the team I follow. Females also take in, process, and discuss more information, thus we can talk stats, trades, skills, charitable work, adorableness, and haircuts - Greenie, you still look like a fluffy duckling; Varly, you have a borderline mullet. The frivolity may add to our enjoyment of the game and its players, but it doesn't make our love for the game less valid.

I didn't even know hockey players could be attractive - all those broken noses, missing teeth, scars, bulky pads. My first reaction when I saw players out of their gear wasn't, "Wow, some of them are hot!" but, "Huh, they're normal-sized."

I would agree with other posters that most women watch a sport 1) because they love it, or 2) their SO loves it. Groupies are a MINORITY!

As for male puckbunnies, you'll have to ask Crosby about that.

Posted by: pstenigma | October 1, 2009 1:02 PM |

Posted by: pstenigma | October 1, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hillg | October 1, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Nylander thing is settled sooner rather than later.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

according to cap geek, they are under the cap even w/ flash/fehr and back's bonus.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@pstenigma - *applause!* - well said!

@tominfl1 - Exactly so. Fehr is expected back in a couple of weeks; Flash should be cleared for contact on or around the 8th (presumably once he's off the blood thinners), but we have 13 games this month. One of them being ready to play will provide enough cap relief to get us back under Backstrom's bonus.

@sargeantmofo - There is a rumor that Nylander may be picked up by Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, the 14th place team (out of 24) in the KHL. This is the team that brought us Semyon Varlamov. Their record this year is less than stellar, though they did beat Barys (11th place), 5-3 today in regulation. For now, I will treat the rumor as I have every rumor I've heard: with about eight tons of salt.

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1 - The big problem is, we have NO space for injury callups for short-term injuries at the moment. If we're under the cap, it is by a very miniscule amount, and is not enough to get us any relief if someone's hurt. The Nylander situation being resolved will fix that problem handily.

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@ pstenigma - thanks! tho we've been hearing the Nyls-to-Russia thing for-freaking-ever now. it would be great if it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 1, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Here, again, is cap spreadsheet. Maybe I did it wrong. Shows the Caps $1.5M over, just about the value of Backstrom's bonus. Can someone provide cap geek link?

(Note: assumes Flash and Fehr are LTIR, which apparently they aren't)

Ovechkin 9.538
Cap Space (Est) 56.800
Available -1.490
LTIR Replacement 1.497
Space w/LTIR Replacement 0.007

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 1, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

irock,
i was just trying to refresh my memory of injurys and the impact on the cap. if i recall, you can exceed the cap by the amount of a guy's salary only if the guy goes on LTIR correct?

i guess that begs the question about why flash and/or fehr arent on LTIR. anyone know the rules on that one. i know they have to have legitimate injuries which would keep them out for a period of time. seems like both guys would qualify. i would do without those guys for a couple of weeks if it gave us some additional cap space.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Speaking of Kessel, I went to Dunkin' Donuts in North Station for breakfast."

They don't have Tim's up there? What's up with that?

Posted by: Section117 | October 1, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Does the DirecTV center ice package guarantee the caps v. bruins game tonight or is it blacked out due to VS exclusivity???

Hard Times Cafe i hear has it, can anyone confirm??

Posted by: carsonspence | October 1, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

tom, i think you are right. cap geek does show them over by $1.6 in bonus.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl

you have something wrong because they are under the cap and Fehr and Flash arent on LTIR.

Posted by: ThePat | October 1, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl

the issue is we don't know the little details of the cap. we are just using hard numbers. the cap guys know how to manipulate it to make it work and our roster was approved by the NHL so everything is good.

Posted by: ThePat | October 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1 - Yes, that is correct. The only way we can exceed the cap by Flash and Fehr's salaries is if they are on LTIR, which Boudreau has stated will not be the case for either man.

@carsonspence - It's blocked; Versus is not on DirecTV, so the only way to see it is on a provider that does have Versus. I know that ESPNZone in DC will be showing the game, and I know the Caps are throwing a viewing party somewhere, but I'm not completely sure where that is. It's in Virginia somewhere; the website has details.

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Caps viewing party is at the Springfield Hard Times. I called the Clarendon HT, and she said they're not doing s viewing party, but she imagined they would have the game on. Don't think there's any food/drink specials tho.

Posted by: Fro_ | October 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Is that a joke?

VogsCaps: Looking like Jeff Schultz and Tyler Sloan will be the Caps' defensive scratches tonight. And Nylander up front. But you knew that.

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

More on LTIR - If a player is put on LTIR, he is required to miss 10 games or a certain number of days - I'm not sure on that number. If neither Flash nor Fehr are expected to miss 10 games or x days, then it does not make sense to put them on LTIR, because if they are on LTIR, they can't come back, even if they are ready to do so before the deadline is passed.

Also, there is some question on whether or not we could put them on LTIR, knowing that they are expected to be cleared to play prior to the expiration of the LTIR deadline. If the team physician won't put his stamp of approval on LTIR, then the player can't be put there, no matter how much cap relief we need.

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@CodePoetry - Nylander is not expected to play tonight; the scratches appear to be correct.

Nylander isn't expected to play because he is a top six-ish center and we need a fourth line winger. He doesn't play well in that position; hence, the lines Tarik posted in the last thread:

* Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
* Laich-Morrison-Knuble
* Laing-Steckel-Clark
* Kane-Gordon-Bradley

Defensive pairings are expected to be:

* Morrisonn-Green
* Poti-Jurcina
* Erskine-Pothier

according to Tarik. Of course, we ARE talking about Bruce "YMMV" Boudreau, and his forward lines are always fluid. But we do have to announce the scratches prior to the Bruins doing so, so it looks like the line components above are pretty much set.

Goalie will be "Yes" according to Boudreau.

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"It's well-documented that we're trying to do something. It's just in the process. We'll let the process play out..."

What does that mean??? Are they still trying to ship out Nyls? Isn't it too late already now that the season has started? What other options do we have? I thought we've already exhausted every option available.

Posted by: Andoy | October 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

You can see all Caps games, home and away, if you want to watch online at hockeystreams.com - no blackout of anything, ever. They also show and archive World Championship games, Euro games (I think), etc. They have an HD feed. They are cheap - $9.99 a month but less if you buy in three month chunks. I think you can get the entire HD season for something like $60 or $65. I used them all last year (I don't have any cable or sat) to watch all Caps games I wasn't at or when they travel. The NHL online service is for junk at $19.99 per month (you must pay for all seven months) - with no Caps games shown.

No, I don't get get paid by them but the service is great. I think you can even buy a one day or one week set-up for things just like this...

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

ThePat: I think dcsportsfan explained it - that the cap geek shows the Caps over the cap by Backstrom's bonus. Unlike 2008-09, teams this year may elect to exceed the cap by the "bonus cushion" - but then would get a cap reduction of equal amount by the following year(if the player earns the bonus(es), and Backstrom is extremely likely). The presumption is that the organization is truly trying to move Nylander. If that were to happen, we'd be like $3.4M under the cap, even counting the bonus, and that means all kinds of wiggle room for call-ups and deadline acquisitions. Reading BB's comments, it seems as if he's really expecting something to happen soon.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl...

You are essentially spot on...but the Caps cap situation looks like this:

Total 23 Players 57.64
Clymer (Buyout) 0.37

Total + Clymer 58.01
Bonus Cushion -1.65
NET 56.36
NHL Cap 56.80
Available 0.44

LTIR wont kick in until guys are actually placed on IR and their days missed are credited back to the Caps cap room.

Hope that helps...

You can see that Bourque's additional .77 (over Kane's salary) would have screwed the team...by a mere $33K.

Posted by: netminder71 | October 1, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Please let the "something" come thru with Nyls. I feel bad for the guy and I am happy that he is being a professional about this. But I still agree that he should NOT be played as long as we are working a deal.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 1, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@CodePoetry

I read that wrong as well. I read "and nylander up front" as "nylander will be playing up front". Should have read it as, "of the men up front, nylander will be scratched".

Posted by: Fro_ | October 1, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

VogsCaps is Mike Vogel's tweeter account

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I got it. Thanks, fro_...

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@ section117: There is a Dunkin Donuts on EVERY corner in Boston nearly. It's an ungodly number. I don't know it off the top of my head.

Posted by: MaineCapsFan | October 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha. I'd heard MSG has Tim's now, just seems weird that Bah-ston wouldn't.

Posted by: Section117 | October 1, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

So if "Yes" will be in goal tonight, will the Bruins have more success against John Anderson, Rick Wakeman, or Steve Howe?

Posted by: TheLeaver | October 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What is more surprising?

Theodore getting the start

OR

Tarik getting Dunkin Donuts for breakfast???

I'll go with the first one.

Posted by: gfsportsfan | October 1, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@CodePoetry - Can't follow Twitter at work... :-( I think I'm following him at home, though... if not, I will fix that tonight after the game. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

And yeah - I read it wrong too, but what can you do with a character limit? ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@saintex,

Wow, that is an impressive looking site. How is the quality of the streams? Do they ever get choppy like you see with some of the free streams out there?

I may consider using that for the Versus games since I'm an out-of-towner with DirecTV.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@gfsportsfan - Actually, Boudreau has maintained all summer that the #1 goalie slot is Theodore's to lose.

As a side note, I am expecting the Theodore-Varlamov goalie pair to end up a 1-1A by the end of the season, assuming neither is injured.

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao, I watch all last season on either a small Vaio or my newer iBook and the HD feeds are pretty good. I might suggest doing a one-week thing for the HD feed on you laptop and see if you like it. It is sort of hard to find the "full screen" function but I was very happy with it. You get some local whatever the feed is that the NHL is allowing - I believe tonight you'll be watching the actual Versus feed. I hope it works out. I have FiOS at home so I've had no feed issues. Plus, there's no commitment beyond what you buy. They will send you and e-mail if it's about to expire and you decide what to do.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

A poster on Hockeybuzz suggested that criticism of Nylander's contract (as it relates to the Caps having to waive Bourque to get under the cap) should actually be directed at Milan Jurcina for not accepting the Caps contract offer this past summer and forcing an arbitration hearing (he got a raise). Not trying to start a rant against MJ, just putting it out there that there are many more factors at work than #92's contract.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

So now it's Jurcina ?

It's 100% GM's fault.

Who's to blame next, Bush ?

Posted by: LarryDavid | October 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

For those asking, here's the Nylander rumor.

Lokomotiv is expressing interest in Washington Capitals forward Michael Nylander, who has spent 15 seasons in the NHL, according to an RIA Novosti source close to the Yaroslavl club.

Don't get your hopes up that Michael goes to the KHL. He has stated numerous times that he wants to play in the NHL.

Though McPhee is working the phone and desperately wants to move #92, it's not going to happen via the KHL.

Nylander will remain a Capital until the trading deadline and then he may get moved. Barring any major injuries, he'll sit the pine often and play some games at center and on the "wing".

Posted by: puckman | October 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

What is more surprising?

Theodore getting the start

OR

Tarik getting Dunkin Donuts for breakfast???

I'll go with the first one.

Posted by: gfsportsfan | October 1, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

Posted by: Section117 | October 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MetalCapsFan

You will never hear me complain about MJ

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

This whole Nylander situation is pretty tired.

Posted by: Fro_ | October 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Tarik need to lay off the donuts.

Posted by: LarryDavid | October 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Excuse for the loss tonight is already in place.

Nylander.

Posted by: LarryDavid | October 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't the Nylander move pretty popular when he first came here (I wasn't in D.C. at the time)? Under that system, for a last place team, it seemed like a pretty good move I thought and wasn't his first season all right? Now, once the system was changed, and we won two division titles, Nylander wasn't a good fit. I guess the GMs option was (based on LarryDavid) to either, make Nyls contract look good through the duration, or win two division titles. I'll take the titles and concur that Nyls is stuck in a bad situation, as is the GM. But, to sit here three years after a move was made and say that his inability to move a $4+ million contract on an older player is the worst thing ever, I don't buy it. Now it seems a mistake but I'll happily eat that mistake to have the team we have here and now. We are under/at the cap, we might be the favorites to win the East, and we certainly aren't short any players.

McPhee would like to have the Nyls move back but it wasn't a mistake then. It's only a mistake now that we have and awesome team.

Irony.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

That's ridiculous, don't get into something you can't get out of.

Any half decent GM would left himself an exit strategy.

Keep on trying to justify McPhail, very amusing.

Posted by: LarryDavid | October 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

that was my post on hockeybuzz, and it was to counter the writers assertion that failure to move nylander was why bourque got the ziggy. my point was that there are 24 other guys w/ contracts and if any of them were for $100K less, bourque would still be here. i used jurcina as an example because he was a guy with a pretty recent increase via arbitration.

of course it's mcphee's "fault" cause he's the one who negotiates the contracts.

the whole bourque thing is a red herring because we all know he was heading down to hershey once flash and fehr get back. if they moved nyls, then alzner comes up to take up some of his cap space. maybe if he played well bourque hangs around as an extra forward when flash/fehr come back but probably not. but i'm sick of him now anyway. if his last name was smith, nobody would have cared.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MaineCapsFan | October 1, 2009 1:51 PM
-----------------
And the Providence Bruins (AHL) play in Dunkin Donuts Arena.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@saintex

Are you sure that site will get the games on Versus? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't but just thought I'd ask.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Can't we get rid of you LarryDavid? You post nothing but negative grenades.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

ANY UPDATE ON WATCHING THE CAPS ON DIRECTTV???

Posted by: srobert1117 | October 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

tmac, any games listed on the left of the site are the day's games. If I remember correctly from last year, they give you the Versus feed if that's where the game is. A lot of the time you HNIC for games. Otherwise, you get the local feed - you will be watching Comcast when the Caps are home. I don't know how they do it, I hope they don't get shut down, and I'm pretty sure they are north of border. They are my heroes.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@srobert1117 - Not gonna happen for tonight.

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I think NHL contracts are pretty hard to "get out of". Any player signed for four or five-years, especially a vet, is going to be hard to get rid of based on what I've seen. You sign them and you either trade them or take the hit. I think Nyls contract was for too much money but otherwise, same-same with every player with contract. The CBA is pretty tight from what I can tell.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@TheLeaver - Wakeman has awesome hands; there's no way they'd get past him!

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Great post saintex...all the GM Haters had no opinion when Nylander landed a job back in DC.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao/saintex

I also have been using hockeystreams.com for a year now. I haven't sprung for the HD, but I'm considering upgrading this season...now that I am no longer a broke college student. Anyway, it's not always the home-town feed, but the quality's not awful and it's so wonderful to not just hear but actually see the games.

Only caveat: You don't have to resubscribe, but unless you actively cancel it -- it will automatically re-up you. So just make sure you don't ignore their emails like I did ;)

Posted by: DCTexan90 | October 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

larrydavid, your grasp of hindsight is 20/20. real tough to flame on gm for the deal now. but try and go back two years to when they signed nylander.

other guys on the market, gomez, briere, drury. all signed long term, 6-7.5/per year deals. at the time, nylander w/ a 4 year deal for 4.5 made a lot of sense, even with a NMC for the first 3. the team needed a veteran center, and it didnt hurt that he was swedish to help backs. i'd take nyls w/ a 4.5M cap hit going away next year vs. gomez or briere at 7 plus for another 4-5 years.

imagine the uproar two years ago if the team lost nyls because they wouldnt agree to an NMC for three years? yeah.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

There are NMCs negotiated all over the league.

How, I ask you, LarryDavid, was GMGM supposed to know:

A) Nylander would be injured and lose half a season.

B) He would sack Glen Hanlon, and bring in a coach with a totally different system.

C) Nylander would not fit into that totally different system.

I'm sorry; I don't have a crystal ball, and neither does GMGM that I'm aware of. At the time his contract was signed, Michael Nylander was very much a necessary piece of the Caps' team. Factors change.

Dookie happens.

Live with it like the rest of us, or go find another blog to whine at.

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

On point B, He = GMGM, not Nylander. BadSal. No English biscuit for you today!

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid=Cheef

Posted by: PhilR | October 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

'When a reporter asked Boudreau, "Goalie tonight?" the coach responded, "Yes."'

Coach BB is a Vorlon.

Posted by: TheLeaver | October 1, 2009 1:56 PM

@TheLeaver: What about Trevor Horne and John Wetton?

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@DCTexan90

Thanks for the input. I decided to do a one day pass just to try it out. I sprung for the HD feed since it was only a couple bucks more.

I use Center Ice (or NBC) for most games so this would just be a solution for the 7 regular season Versus games. I'm hoping DirecTV has the issue with Comcast worked out by the time playoffs roll around or I may see another solution altogether.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@saintex/DCTexan90

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I was able to log in after making my payment through PayPal. I can see the Caps game listed on the left with the Watch buttons to the right. I assume they will become active at game time, correct?

Also, I was browsing the forums and this is apparently how they do it without getting shut down:

"Our service is based outside of the NHL's legal jurisdiction. We are not breaking any laws in our jurisdiction."

That was posted by a site administrator in response to a similar question to your's, saintex.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

dumb question, but would it make sense to buy the HD feed if my laptop doesnt have an hd display?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

Let me know how the HD feed is. I have Comcast here in Houston so I'll be watching VS tonight -- but for the 75 games not on VS, I'll use hockeystreams (or NBC, if we're picked for those), haha.

I remember watching Lost on ABC w/ their 'HD' feed and it worked great hooked up to my TV screen, so I would love it if hockeystreams had that same kind of promise. :)

Posted by: DCTexan90 | October 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I just have been living in a hole in the ground or something. Who's this Yes goalie? Why haven't we heard of him? What's his GAA?

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@srobert1117

Read the conversation between saintex, DCTexan90 and myself. You can try hockeystreams.com (pay site) or any of the other various free streams out there. Of course, there is no guarantee about the quality with those free streams. I plan to try out hockeystreams.com tonight for the first time. I'll post my feedback here after the game.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Right. Outside legal jurisdiction, beauty.

The games will activate about ten minutes of so prior to game time and when you select they should open another window (it's all windows player-based) and you're good to go.

I don't have HD on my computer (do they have that yet?) but the HD feed is higher speed, more ions, and other computer stuff that I don't understand. I don't think it's actual "HD" just better and I think it's worth it.

Let me know how it works for everyone.

The chat rooms are lame, by the way.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Not this "chat room" the hockeysteams chat rooms.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

BTW, RCN has no Versus issue. Vs is included in their hockey package for $4.80/month.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - It could be one of several; my personal preference is for a guy named Rick Wakeman... he's got incredible hands; he's all over the place, and he plays the puck like a piano. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, is Yaroslavl pronounced the way it's spelled? yar-oh-SLAH-vul?

Posted by: Fro_ | October 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Beat Boston - GO CAPS!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid = moron.
LarryDavid = tool.
LarryDavid = sad sack.
LarryDavid = useless.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid = moron.
LarryDavid = tool.
LarryDavid = sad sack.
LarryDavid = useless.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan

Tell us how you really feel

Posted by: pkendrick | October 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

What is RCN?

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

@DCTexan90

Have you gotten into any of the local Houston teams?

I moved to Houston back in 2002 and have since become a Rockets and Astros fan.

I was never much of a Bullets/Wizards fan growing up and Steve Francis (Terps product) was playing for the Rockets when I moved down here so it made it easy for me to get into the Rockets.

I'll always be a Cleveland Indians fan first (my father is from Ohio) but since I can actually atten Astros games, I got into them over the years.

I'm still a Redskins fan at heart but don't pay for Sunday Ticket so I rarely see the Skins play. As a result, I've recently gotten a bit into the Texans but not anything like the Rockets and Astros.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM |

I read that. A pretty retarded statement either way.

Sure, if Juice did not go into arbitration, we could have kept Bourque. But to look at it in hindsight and blame Juice for trying to get paid is quite the stretch.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Question for all: Did Nylander ever explicitly say he didn't want to play in the KHL or did he just say he wanted to play in the NHL?

I know it may just be semantics or whatever but saying "I want to play in the NHL" could be read as "I prefer to play in the NHL" while "I don't want to play in the KHL" doesn't have multiple connotations.

Or did Nylander say something totally different than either of my assumptions?

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere about a month ago that something like 25% of the players have a NMC of some sort on their contracts. Apparently pretty common. Caps have at least 2 on the current roster with NMC.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind, I looked up RCN. Apparently, it's a digital cable provider only available up north. That must be why I've never heard of it.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Anyeone else dropping DirectTV???

Posted by: flee001 | October 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

IF ALL OUR PLAYERS WOULD PLAY FOR FREE WE WOULDN'T HAVE ANY SALARY CAP ISSUES.

What jerks.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | October 1, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

We know Nyls is one of the NMCs, who's the other? Erskine into the offensive zone? Badda-bing!

I love Big John.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Re: "Yes" in goal tonight. I just hope Roger Dean has designed the goalie mask.

Posted by: TheLeaver | October 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

That's one of my pet peeves about pro sports. Yeah, it's great when a player decides to stop chasing money and sign for other (usually better) reasons, but it's another thing to expect them to do it. It's their job after all. Same thing applies to extensions/raises.

Besides, even if we wanted to somehow go back to this and use our wonderful 20/20 hindsight vision, I wouldn't say it's Juice's fault for wanting a raise. It would be Caps Management for accepting the raise.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Ovie has one.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40: I don't think John Wetton ever played with Yes. Chris Squire was the bassist. Wetton and Squire are likely my two favorite rock bassists ever, along with the guy from Nirvana (Novocelic or something).

Wetton was with King Crimson and then with UK. He might have been with another band in between, but i don't think ever was he with Yes.

That bass guitar would make a cool goalie stick. And, if they had it plugged in, some nice sounds when the puck bounced off the strings. And, your goalie could play tunes during stoppages in play.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@Fro_ - Unsure, but I will find out!

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

richmond,
got back and read my post about my comments on hockeybuzz. the point was not to blame jurcina. i was pointing out the absurdity of blaming the lack of nylanders movement as the sole reason they couldnt keep CB. i used jurcina as an example of a guy who got a raise so why not point the finger at him or any of the other 24 guys who get paid. that was the point.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Ovi is just a No-Trade Clause and not Nyls' NMC (you could send Ovi to Hershey if you wanted to). Alex's NTC also isn't in effect yet and it's something he can list 10 teams he can refuse a trade to.

Posted by: koalatek | October 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 3:49 PM |

Ah, gotcha. I probably was just skimming and didn't actually read what you had typed.

It certainly helps highlights other factors which were involved in CBo getting waived.

By the way, you aren't michealweiss are you? Yeesh...he's worse than any troll on here.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 1, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

no, i'm not michealweiss...i agree that his posts sound remarkably simiar to some of the ones we see around here. although i will say he seems to be a fan, despite his hatred towards gmgm.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@Fro_ - The Russian word is "Ярославль", if that helps; I am not sure if the emphasis is on YAR or SLAV...

Posted by: irockthered | October 1, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

IRTH, kicking in with the Cyrillic font. that's pretty solid.

Posted by: saintex | October 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1

Yeah, but even Cheef is a Caps fan. But he's still a troll. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | October 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow- won't see this too often, but AO is on the main ESPN page. Not sure how long it'll be up though.

Posted by: Fro_ | October 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl: No? I thought Wetton was also in Yes as well as Asia; UK and King Crimson I know about.

Oh well, my Bad; I guess that whole ELP/Yes/KC/Asia/Buggles axis has me confused...

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

...hmm. Not really, I guess. My dad's from St Louis, so I guess he's a Cards fan -- but somewhere along the way he just became flat out obsessed with everything baseball...so I've seen my share of O's and Nats games. I've been to a few Astros games with friends, and I do like them, but I don't follow them too closely. [Personal fav is Rice Baseball...a girl can dream they'll go back and take the Natl Championship again, right?]

Sadly, still a diehard Skins fan even after living across the street (literally) from Reliant for a year.
And as far as basketball? I never really got it, sorry, haha. I watched some of the playoffs last year, I guess, but I probably couldn't name more than one player (Yao) on the team.

I've been to more Aeros games than anything, probably. I'm still a sports nut but as far as actually going out to games, I probably do most of that back visiting my parents - just something that's always been a me&Dad kind of thing, I guess. Also, it would probably help if I had sports-fan-friends, lol.

Posted by: DCTexan90 | October 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@IRTR

Cool- thanks

Posted by: Fro_ | October 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1:

What about Geddy Lee...doesn't he count?

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1- what about Geddy Lee, John Paul Jones(two of the greatest bassists ever,and Matt Freeman....

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 1, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

richmond, i dont think cheef is a fan. he might have been at one time. but i think he's just bitter at gm for his own reasons...and we bear the brunt if it.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@Fro - hopefully we'll see that a lot this season. :)

Posted by: hillg | October 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody read that puff peice that Burnside wrote on ESPN.

I mean I know ESPN is probably the worst place to go for hockey info but that could that guy be any more up on Crosby's nuts? Also I really don't like his back-handed comments about Ovie.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Rhino40(Geddy Lee),you beat me to him.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 1, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

John Wetton played with the group Asia along with Steve Howe from Yes.

Also, RCN is what they call a "overbuilder" which is basically a cable operator that goes in to apartment/business offices that do not want to subscribe to the local cable system in place. In Washington and Houston, that would mostly be Comcast. Up here in NY, Time Warner Cable is the main cable operator in the 5 boroughs but RCN gets into many offices and apartment buildings.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | October 1, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Check this out.....

I called DirecTV asking what the chance was to be able to watch the game tonight. She told me they lost the channel to another competitor. I told her i thought there were still negotiations and she said as far as she is aware of, don't expect Versus to be back for a long time. haha, and then said i could always catch the replay on NHL network tomorrow! hahahahahhaha!

I told them the reason i switched to DTV was because Dish moved versus to its highest tier and would be cancelling if it isn't figured out soon.

I guess justin.tv is my friend tonight!

Posted by: OviFan08 | October 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: koalatek | October 1, 2009 3:49 PM

It's in effect now. Caps can't trade Ovie for 7 years (I think that's the period). After that he has to list 10 teams each year.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Its great that they're starting Theodore right away. The quicker they get him out there, the quicker he will put on a trademark Theodore performance, and the quicker They can give the #1 job to Varlamov with unimpeachable justification.

Posted by: LesGrossman | October 1, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Burnside also says the Devils will place in the bottom 5 in the league...for the past 30 years years.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 1, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Simply put Fleischmann (I bet he's not gonna play a game in October) on LTI and keep Bourque. That's just stupid management of the cap.

Posted by: binnenreim | October 1, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I guess justin.tv is my friend tonight!

Posted by: OviFan08 | October 1, 2009 4:10 PM

DISHTV is offering VS on their "Silver" tier now. It's not that much more than the basic, but at least you don't have to get the ridiculous "gold" tier or whatever.

I'm going to a friend's house who has Comcast for the game.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 1, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

WE CANT TRADE OVIE??? who's the moron who has hamstrung us with that albatross of a contract? thats going to come back and bite us down the road...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

binnenreim, where were you two days ago? i bet GM never thought of that. you should have sent him an email. GMGM@washcaps.com

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40:

The guy who played with both King Crimson and Yes I think was Bill Bruford (drummer).

Yes, JP Jones was excellent. I never liked Rush. I'd put Berry Oakley (Allmans) next. Guy from Metallica pretty good too.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 1, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil...

I just checked Dish Network's site and Versus & NFL Network both show only on Gold. Maybe if i call and tell them i came from DTV they will hook me up. Thanks!

Posted by: OviFan08 | October 1, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Commutative property of mathematics:

Burnside = Crosby Lover = DB = a$$#a+

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 1, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Around here in DC RCN is simply another cable provider. I chose it because of all the Comcast haters and it seems to work fine (no FIOS in the city either), though costs creep like any provider. Their extra $4.80/month package includes vs. and NHL network (their basic HD service already includes CSN and CSN+) and is modestly priced. All are in HD.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 1, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@OviFan08

Wow, I didn't realize NHL Network was replaying the game in the middle of the night and tomorrow. I checked the guide and it's the same deal for the Philly game on Tuesday.

This gives me yet another option as a DirecTV customer in addition to online streams. This Versus issue is actually turning into a non-issue.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 1, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The Nyls situation isn't his fault. Nor is it BB's, Ted's, the fans, Ovie's or any other player. This one is squarely on GMGM.

Posted by: govtimbo | October 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

BB said -this week- that JT and Varlamov will pretty much split the first 50 games, after which someone (any of the 3, I'll bet) will seize the top spot.

Nylander (no movement clause) was coming off the. best. season. of his career when GMGM so foolishly signed him. [Insert 'roundabout' joke here.]

Be the loudest Caps fan in your section, even if it's a section of sofa. Thank you.

Posted by: redlineblue | October 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Any bars in the city BESIDES ESPNZone that will have the game on tonight? I have called the Chop House, Big Hunt, Reef, and a couple others -- they all have DirecTV and most of them didn't even realize there was an impasse over Versus. Of course, most of them also didn't realize the Caps season was starting already.

Posted by: cityspirit | October 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

city,
did you try RFD or Fado?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Greene Turtle?

Posted by: hillg | October 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

2 more hours until all of the complaining about management should officially cease, and all comments should be game-specific. It's been like a bunch of old ladies whining the past few weeks. And I apologize, in advance, to all the elderly, female fans out there who I just offended... :)

Posted by: gonchpup | October 1, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

folks want to lob in predictions for the season. i assume these chats are archived so we can go back and check. mine is:

108 points, SE Div title, beat pens in round 2...lose in conf finals...sorry, in my heart i think they can make the cup finals, but i dont want to jinx anything.

ovie goes over 50 goals and 100 points
semin gets 35
green nets fewer goals but plays better d
backs top 5 in assists

ovie/backs/green are all stars...maybe semin too

our defense will have at least three different guys come playoff time.
varly will be number 1 in april.
nyls is gone by november.
BB will still be bald.

russia wins gold medal...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 1, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

dc:

I say over 60g and 110 pts for Ovie
Semin over 40g and 90 pts
Sure hope you're right about Green
Backs top 3 in assists
Varly will be #1, just not sure when
BB still bald, still a puck-genius

Don't count out team USA for gold!

Posted by: govtimbo | October 1, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from picking up breakfast. Its mega hot, mega humid, and I dont think these people have any clue what Ice Hockey is, but damned if I am not going to front my Jersey.

LGC

Posted by: trunkenmath | October 1, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Commutative property of mathematics:

Burnside = Crosby Lover = DB = a$$#a+

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 1, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Predictions:

Ovie goes over 110 points, 55 goals and his nose is broken back to the left straightening it out.

Nicky hits 100 points for the season.

Semin just misses the 40 goal mark and plays in 74 games.

Other goal numbers - Knuble over 30, Laich over 25, Flash over 20, and Gordon and Bradley both flirt with 10.

Schultz is in the top 5 on the team in hits.

Green hits 30 goals again but, more importantly, his giveaways go down.

Alzner is on the roster for the playoffs.

Varly/Neuvy combo in the playoffs.

Nicky wins the Conne Smythe.

They actually start the "Move of the Game" camera in a section not numbered 429, 430 or 431.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 1, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1 & @hillg

not a fan of RFD's TV setup, too small and too far behind the bar. plus noisy. Greene Turtle, too crowded. i'm picky!

Ventnor's in Adams Morgan is going to broadcast an internet feed on its TV. we'll see how that goes.

Posted by: cityspirit | October 1, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick

Then you woke up from your drunken stupor to find out that only 50% of your prediction happened. Still, it was enough to make the play-offs. Among the least likely predictions: Semin playing 74 games and Green ever scoring 30 goals again.

Posted by: atybat | October 1, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse