Theodore Flashback: Stops Fan During Canadiens Practice

We media types at Kettler couldn't remember if the video of Jose Theodore stopping a fan who jumped on the ice during a 2006 practice in Montreal has been posted since he signed with the Capitals but here it is. Along with Theodore's great take on the incident.

From the Montreal Gazette, thanks to Tarik's research skills:

"I'm shocked. That's the first time it has happened. I saw the guy coming, but didn't really know what was going on. He came at me with his head down and I wanted to welcome him to the (NHL)."

"I thought of getting out of the net when he came back and not play to his game. But he had the balls to get on the ice, so I figured I'd let him have a free shot,"

By Katie Carrera  |  July 11, 2008; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe-Zay Thee-O-Dore and Other Stuff (Update)
Next: Caps Re-Sign Gordon

Comments

Okay

Posted by: CA Caps Fan | July 11, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

hahahaha.. I think I play pickup with that guy..

Posted by: Jordan | July 11, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Jose - welcome aboard. They wont come that easy in September.

Posted by: pch49 | July 11, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Glovely

Posted by: beanboy66 | July 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Was that Martin St. Louis?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

..one of the many reasons hockey is my sport.

Can any of us see Shaq squaring off with some fan who grabs a ball during practice and drives for the net? ..or Jorge Posada taking a pitch from whatever nutjob sneaks into the bullpen during warmups?

I don't mean to say hockey players are better people than the rest, but to a fan, it can sure seem that way.

Posted by: Eli | July 11, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

how embarrassing for that poor guy. what a lousy skater. would've been funnier if theodore had leveled him instead of poke checking...

Posted by: pgreene | July 11, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I remember laughing at this when it happened. Didn't realize it was our own Jose. Good stuff.

Posted by: J | July 11, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I love how Jose just said what the hell; I'll let this guy shoot on me.

Posted by: Radfish | July 11, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Jose's response--good for him. Somebody should have told the coach to lighten up with the fan.

Posted by: Love it | July 11, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I am now reassured about the upcoming season because I don't think Huet or Olie would have stopped that second shot!

Posted by: Jose Will Rock the Red | July 11, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Did Jose mention the guy's balls?
I'll cut 'em.

Posted by: Rev. Jesse Jackson | July 11, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

HIP HIP JOSE!

Posted by: Victor | July 12, 2008 3:01 AM | Report abuse

I look at this as Jose taking a shot at a pro career away from this poor recreational league player.

Had he let him score we might've have seen this guy in a Montreal Canadiens jersey later that season, as he had hoped.

Another dream lies in ruins.

Posted by: ranndino | July 12, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse