Theodore gets the start vs. Carolina

Goalie Semyon Varlamov was the first Capital to emerge from the locker room and head out onto the ice at this morning's skate. The 21-year-old will miss his ninth consecutive game tonight with a groin injury, but he participated fully in today's practice, taking shots from teammates and even doing some extra work with goaltending coach Arturs Irbe on the side.

Getting the start between the pipes against Carolina will be veteran Jose Theodore, who hasn't played since Dec. 18 in a 3-2 loss to Vancouver. This is a big start for Theodore's confidence and the team's confidence in him, considering rookie Michal Neuvirth got the nod and played well during the Capitals' recent three-game winning streak.

After being informed he wouldn't start Saturday night in a 4-1 victory over New Jersey, Theodore snapped his stick on the ground and told reporters, "I just work here," before backing off those comments yesterday. Here's what coach Bruce Boudreau said when asked if Theodore needs to prove anything tonight:

"There's nothing he needs to show me, we want him to play good," he said. "We've got three good goalies and we anticipate that everybody pushes everybody. It's not the most ideal situation in the world, but at the same time, it's the situation. Jose, [when] he didn't play in the playoffs last year, was so professional. In the beginning of the year, when he went through some problems, he was so professional, so I assume he's gonna come out and give us a fabulous game tonight."

*Speaking of goalies, a good indication of Varlamov's progress came when Boudreau said no decision had been made yet on whether to bring Neuvirth with the team when it leaves for its two-game road trip to California after the game tonight.

*Based on the morning skate, the scratches tonight will be defensemen Tom Poti and Karl Alzner. Boudreau said he expected Poti, who missed Saturday's win over the Devils but skated the entire practice, to be available for Wednesday's game in San Jose. Defenseman Brian Pothier, who has missed the last seven games with a rib injury, did not practice. That means Tyler Sloan will suit up for the first time since Dec. 19 against Edmonton.

"We've got nine good defensemen here, so the last time Tyler played was in Edmonton, he got an assist and played a great game," said Boudreau when asked if there was any particular reason Alzner was sitting. "I just don't think it's fair to keep him out all the time."

*It sounds like the forward lines will remain the same after the Capitals' dominating performances against Buffalo and New Jersey this past week. One thing to keep an eye on, though, is the performance of Capitals not named Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin and Mike Green. In the last six games, that quartet has accounted for 15 of the team's 23 goals -- including 10 of its last 13.

Meanwhile, as Tarik noted yesterday, Brooks Laich has no goals since Dec. 5 and just two points in his last nine games, Brendan Morrison has just two points in his last nine games, Mike Knuble has just three points in the seven games since he returned from a finger injury, David Steckel has just two points in his last nine games (though his effectiveness can't be completely measured by offensive production), and Eric Fehr has just three assists in his last eight games and no goals since Dec. 7 following a torrid November that was perhaps the best month of his NHL career.

"We go through different stretches throughout the season, different lines carrying the team, and right now it just happens to be our three best players on our team are leading us," said Fehr. "So it's not all bad, but at the same time, we want to try and contribute. ... When things aren't going well, you don't want to start being pretty. You just want to get pucks to the net, go to the net, and just hope for the best."

*Much has been made about the fact that the Capitals have held a lead in all but one game this season and have more first-period goals (49) than any other team in the NHL. In trying to figure out just how the team gets off to its fast starts, I noticed this telling statistic in the Capitals' excellent supplementary media guide. This season, Ovechkin has scored Washington's first goal 13 times, nine of which were the game's first goal. The next best is Semin, who has scored the Capitals' first goal six times. Say what you will about the defensive prowess of the Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin line, but there's probably not a more explosive threesome in the NHL right now.

*The only team to score the game's first goal twice against Washington this year is tonight's opponent, the Carolina Hurricanes. After convincing victories over conference champion contenders Buffalo and New Jersey, logic (and past experiences) says the Capitals will have a let down against the lowly Hurricanes, who currently sport the NHL's worst record at 9-22-7.

"We shouldn't have a letdown," said Boudreau. "These guys made the final four last year. When you say you have let downs, that means that you think you're something that you're not. We're just a hardworking team that's having some success right now and we get out success through hard work. If we have a let down, shame on us for thinking we're better than we are."

The Capitals will also put their undefeated 8-0 record against Southeast Division opponents on the line tonight. They defeated the Hurricanes, 3-2, on Nov. 30 in Raleigh and then won a 4-3 overtime decision at the Verizon Center on Dec. 11, two hard-fought games Boudreau hasn't forgotten.

"You look at their lineup and you don't know why," he said of Carolina's woes this year. "I think they have a great team and from top to bottom, I think they made some great acquisitions during the summer. It's hard to put a finger on it and it's not my problem, quite frankly. I just know we've had two, one-goal games against them. They've come out and they've taken the game to us."

By Mark Giannotto  |  December 28, 2009; 12:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Laich: 'I have to be better'
Next: Caps deal Chris Clark, Milan Jurcina to Columbus for Jason Chimera

Comments

Theo will feel some pressure with the start. Let's hope he responds.

Posted by: crooks_c | December 28, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

from previous post:

@richmondphil,

I agree. I do not like the idea of sitting Alzner.

But if any of these rumors are true, we may be shipping out a D-man and we may not have to worry about it going forward.

I kind of like the idea of having another blue chip prospect. From what I have seen on some video, he looks to be worth a shot. Heck, he already speaks better English than even OV.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Alzner being scratched tonite totally BLOWS... prepare for some shoddy play on the blueline tonight...

Alzner's contributions haven't only been in the D zone either... he's getting really good at stepping up at the blue line in the offensive zone to keep the puck in (even if it's just to poke it back into the corner). Don't underestimate how important this can be (the difference between more time on the attack, and retreating into a defensive posture).

Posted by: chombie13 | December 28, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

could be the reason alzner is sitting tonight. showcase the d along with theo and get some trade movement going! i would love to trade theo and have varly/neuvy as a 1/2 punch with holtby in hershey ready to fill in for injury. sickest goaltending treo for under 2 mil around!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 28, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Filatov is scary good, but it would kind of be gravy for the future.

I'd prefer wrangling in Commodore, Tyutin, or Sammy Pahlsson from them. However, all of them except Tyutin are with a fairly new contract, so I don't see any of them going.

It might just be a salary dump trade for us, which is great for us, especially if it's the worst d-man who's making the second most money. (Hint; Not ShaMo or Juice)

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

alzner is being traded to columbus? whiskey tango foxtrot?

Posted by: formerlylove1 | December 28, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Alzner should never be a healthy scratch... should always be Erskine, Jurcina or Sloan that sits out, take your pick.

Posted by: joek443 | December 28, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@RichmondPhil/CTCapsFan,

Since I don't regularly work the Twitterscape, the ferecnes were helpful. I pokeed around and indeed 23 and/or 26 could be heading out of town. Hockeybuzz hasn't jumped on it yet, which means it might be true. (Mantra: Everything on HockeyBuzz is exactly wrong.)

@Jschon, I think you're right that Theo probably won't be traded, but I wouldn't say no chance. If someone needs a rental, he might be movable. Low percentage, though. The way Neuvy's been playing, I think Theo's return next year is low.

Generally: The Semin deal reinforces what I've been saying all year: next year is the peak year for us to win the Cup. After that, there may be some dismantling.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 28, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately oldtimehockey, HB has jumped on it.

I am currently vigorously defending why Alzner is not and should not be even on the lips of GMGM except to say "You want Alzner? HAHAHAHAHAHA".

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 28, 2009 12:46 PM |

Yeah, but as someone mentioned this probably ties into showcasing the expendable d-corps.

I know the rumors are flying around about ALzner, but I don't beleive it at all. Trading Alzner would be the first move by GMGM in a long time to make me upset enough about it to talk about.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Portzline added: "CBJ trade talks w/Caps now confirmed from within organization. But GM Howson is having "serious talks" w/another club, too."

Rumors are rumors, but lots of buzz around this one. BTW, Portzline is the "Tarik" of the Dispatch, which also shares ownership of the Jackets.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

It'll be good to see Theodore between the pipes again, with all the competition right on his heels... hopefully, he'll play well tonight, and we will win the game. I'm oddly a little nervous about this one, and I can't put my finger on why...

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I cannot see Alzner being traded. I think what we are seeing is an overload of talent between the pipes being showcased. I think the Caps might move a goalie, but Alzner, no way.

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Filatov and Alzer are about the same pay scale (aside from a bonus) but it doesn't make sense on the face. The only way I see a one-for-one coming down is if GM is planning beyond next season and he's slotting Filatov into the starting line-up in place of the one-year Semin contract. Filatov spends some time in Hershey and with the Caps next season before becoming a full-time winger in 2011-12. It doesn't open up any immediate money but it does clear a load (875k v. $6m) the following year.

Of course, it's lunacy simply because I love the team, as is, right now.

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Latest buzz has the Leafs involved in a potential 3-way deal... Kaberle?

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

... or separate deals but Kaberle's name is out there too.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Theo needs to step-up his game...obviously he is not the number one guy in anyone's mind- he may have slipped to 3

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 28, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy it. At least not for a defenseman.

There are only two RFA D on the Blue Jackets' list for this season:

* Anton Stralman ($0.732)
* Mathieu Roy ($0.525)

And there's only one UFA D:

* Brendan Bell ($0.700)

Rostislav Klesa ($1.600) is under contract until 2014-15.

Mike Commodore ($3.750) is under contract until 2013-14, as is Kris Russell ($0.750 - he goes RFA that year).

Fedor Tyutin ($2.844) is under contract until 2012-13.

Jan Hejda ($2.000) and Marc Methot ($1.012) are under contract until 2011-12.

Does anybody *really* see anybody in that list that we'd want or need, and could afford?

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

________________

I highly disagree that Alzner and Filatov have the same value. In order for a team to get Alzner, and thus one of the most highly-touted young player in the world, it would take, as the CBJ beat-writer said, " The Capitals are believed to be scratching D Karl Alzner tonight when they host Carolina, but it seems highly unlikely the Caps would part with Alzner unless it's a blockbuster trade. He's one of the top prospects in all of hockey.

It would likely take Blue Jackets' top prospect Nikita Filatov (and a pick) or two-plus veterans (and maybe a pick) to get that deal done."

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are in FIRST place in the East. GMGM has not made a single risky trade since coming to Washington. Why on earth would he start now? Rumors are just that, rumors...

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

a 3-way for Kaberle would answer that question IRTR.

Feelings on Kaberle? Versus ShaMo or Juice? Versus Alzner?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, in order to make a three-way (keep it to yourself) you could move:

Kaberle > Caps
Alzner > Columbus
Poti > Toronto
Filatov > Toronto

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Re: Kaberle - His full season cap hit is $4.250... and he's 31 years old.

3 Goals
32 Assists
-6 (ouch)
10 PIM

I don't think we really want him that badly... He's been well below 0 on +/- since 2007-08, and his contract is through 2010-11...

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 1:15 PM |

I'd take Tyutin or Commodore, but like you said, we can't afford it since neither are upcoming free-agents. I wasn't sure about the length of their contracts, but that solves that issue.

Also, the rumor seems to be a d guy from us for one of their forwards...They do have a handful of decent 3rd line checking centers, but again, not sure on their contracts.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan - We keep Alzner over Kaberle. Kaberle's nearing the end of his career; Alzner's is just beginning. We don't mortgage the future for a rental player, not until we're 100% sure we know what we need, and that the rental piece WILL help us win the Stanley Cup.

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, in order to make a three-way (keep it to yourself!) with money you could move:

Kaberle > Caps
Alzner > Columbus
Poti > Toronto
Filatov > Toronto

Toronto gets a young gun and a dman to fill Kaberle's slot, the Caps get Kablerle for 1 1/2 year, Columbus gets a very good yound defenseman. It's like a Rubik's cube! I love Mondays. I know we all love Alzer but if we run around the triangle and get Kaberle here while opening up two dmen slots, would we argue?

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil - nhlnumbers.com is where I got my figures; who were you thinking the rumor was in reference to?

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't want Kaberle. An obvious upgrade over most of our d-men, but he is essentially another Green and we don't need that. We need someone to complement Green...

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

trading Alzner would be insane - he is already our best defenseman...i don't think he is going anywhere.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

In the C department, we have:

R.J. Umberger ($3.750) under contract until 2012-13.

Antoine Vermette ($2.763) under contract until 2015-16.

Samuel Pahlsson ($2.650) under contract until 2012-13.

Derick Brassard ($1.247) under contract until 2014-15.

Andrew Murray ($0.625) under contract until 2011-12.

I don't see any of these guys as a rental.

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 1:22 PM |

A forward of theirs, or maybe that blockbuster involving Azlner/Filatov, but I highly, highly, highly doubt that.

Either way, if a deal goes through, I don't see a d-man coming back to us right now..that may have to wait until the deadline.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I would take Kaberle over any of our current d-men except, Alzner, Green and Carlson. Heck, trade two of our others for him and I am fine with it, but leave the core together. Like Phil said, he is like Green and we need to have someone like Alzner instead.

One of the blogs said that Kaberle is a good PP QB and he would improve a PP, but let;s be honest, we don't need that. We are at the top already. I like BMo as the QB on ours anyway.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@IRTR

The talks are focused around Torres or Chimera.

I am currently chatting it up with CBJ folks now, trying to get a picture of them. Seems both can fill a 3rd line checking role nicely, but neither are centers.

Also, I like Pahlsson, but he just inked a new deal, so... yeah. I agree none of those centers are probably involved.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the discussion about trading Alzner is a little bit - hmmm - "strange" ...

... may I remind the supporters of that trade what the trade of Scot Stevens has done to the Caps ? ...

... and that some people thought, keeping Stevens would have brought the SC to Washington a lot earlier ... ;-)

... and there are a lot of more arguments for resting Alzner against the Hurricans than giving Sloan some practice ...

Go Caps!

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 28, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Carolina, and their aging captain Brind'Amour - Why does the NHL not give the foreign players their proper punctuation on the sweaters? Backstrom should have two little dots over his two vowels.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | December 28, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The only way I see Alzner being moved is if the Caps can swing Kaberle in return. If you trade Alzner for Filatov, it is a step maybe two backwards. If they don't swing Kaberle, they would have to get at least two players in return for Alzner's value.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Semin, who recently was signed only to a one year deal, would be shipped out to Toronto for Kaberle or even to Atlanta for Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk in my opinion would be an upgrade in the "not taking penalties." department. Any comments?

Posted by: robostop10 | December 28, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Here's the blog, btw. Tarik has it listed in the left-hand column.

Trying to find out if Torres can play center..if he can, he'd be perfect. Not a Selke candidate, but a solid two-way checking forward.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robostop10 | December 28, 2009 1:32 PM |

Why would ATL downgrade for no reason? Kovalchuk is obviously better than Semin, but it doesn't make sense.

Also, Kaberle being returned for losing Alzner is not okay with me. I don't care if we get Bobby Orr back for a rental, why give up one of the most highly-touted prospects period for a rental?

Also, a sign and trade hasn't happened in a longggg time.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Kaberle blows. The King ain't going anywhere. Please pass what the person who started this rumor is smokin' so I can partake in the hallucinations too!

Posted by: IceNutz | December 28, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Filatov is loaned out to the KHL. Doubt he is going anywhere in the NHL this year.

Posted by: lornemyoung | December 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

In all probability Alzner's name in this is simply from the wishful musings of the CBJ's beat writer noting wistfully the coincidental timing of the trade rumors and Alzner's healthy scratch tonight.

Moving him just doesn't fit into GMGM's MO at all. Remember, this is the same guy who wouldn't pull the trigger on a deadline deal last year because teams wanted our young prospects. Recall all the hype around Guerin last year.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: IceNutz | December 28, 2009 1:37 PM |

Well, um...it's confirmed from the beat-writers of CBJ and TOR that talks are going on.

As I said, rumors are rumors, but there seems to be some extra hype around this one.

Kaberle doesn't suck, but to make myself clear again. No-Want-Kaberle.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

CBJ fans just confirmed for me; Torres nor Chimera can play center.

We definetely don't need another winger..but another checking forward for a d-guy we don't really need...I'm starting to not care about this trade either way...

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I want Phaneuf. What would you offer for him?

Posted by: StanleyCap | December 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

WHat if we were just looking to trade away extra d-men that we have for some draft picks that would also free up money for a bigger rental player splash closer to deadline?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Raffi Torres is a solid player, but another winger... i dunno. I see the Caps waiting until the trade deadline before they make a move. When they do make a move it will be for a D and or a C.

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 28, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 28, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Torrres is a solid player, but the caps don't need another winger. If they make a move they will do it around the trade deadline. GMGM will want to go after a defenseman and or a center.

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 28, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, is there really a player on the roster of CBJ or TOR of whom BB and GMGM think we would absolutely need ?

... e.g. what about the stay at home D-man everyone was talking about ... ?

... and what about the team-chemistry ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 28, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

didn't mean to post that 3 times

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 28, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine them letting Alzner get away. Big mistake.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 28, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

... and what about a player, who can shut down this specific player of the wingless birds ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 28, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Capsnskins1

No worries. I just figured you stuttered.

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't see King Karl going anywhere... That is just ludicrous to think GMGM would give him up for a rental. I would lose a lot of confidence in GMGM if he were to make that move.

I am hoping for it to be salary clearing for us and that is all. I really love this team right now as they are really starting to gel and play great hockey.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | December 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I don't check hockey news for a few hours and all hell breaks loose. Found out about the trade rumors from twitter (Puck Daddy & Chesnokov). Since they're talking about it something is definitely up.

I would love to see Filatov in a Caps jersey. Boudreau actually would know how to use him unlike Hitch. I also just saw Filatov saying on IIHF.com that he's not coming back to Columbus unless things there change.

While I'd love to see Filatov on our team I'd hate to give up Alzner for him. He has really solidified our D since we dispatched Nyles to the AHL.

As for Kaberle he's very good. One of the best all around D in the league, IMO. And don't look at his +/- over the past few years. It doesn't matter. He has been playing for an absolutely horrible team so I'd day a -6 last year is actually very good considering just how much Toronto sucked.

This Mon has immediately become a lot more exciting.

P.S. BTW, Filatov is playing at 6pm vs. Finland at the WJC tonight.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

all these trade talks got me excited...I don't think Alzner is going anywhere...even if we get Kaberle in return...if there's a trade it will be one of our other Dmen. Poti, Juice, ShaMo

Posted by: ttn703 | December 28, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

How about Poti as trade bait it would take 3.5 mill.off the books and with Theo ufa that is 4.5 mill That would give the Caps 8 mill.more to play with next season.

Posted by: sporttraveler | December 28, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If filatov is not coming then I would take RJ Umberger. He is money in the playoffs.

Posted by: samb99 | December 28, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The Def. man I would like to see traded is Schultz. Plays timid and makes too many bad passes.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | December 28, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Umberger is signed through.

The only two plausible guys seem to be either Raffi Torres or Jason Chimera. Since neither can play center, what use would the Caps have with them?

As others have hinted, this may just be like Juice/ShaMo for a pick to dump some salary. (God, don't we all wish it was Poti?)

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wgoodm01 | December 28, 2009 2:00 PM |

Watch a game this year and then come back. 55 has probably been our most consistent d-man all year...

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@ttn73:

Poti beeing traded at least would explain, why he didn't play ...

... instead of: "It's a body injury," Boudreau said ... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 28, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

If it was anybody from C-bus Umberger would not be bad at all. Yet, i find it doubtful. I love the team as is except we need a d-man that plays defense and wipes out dudes in the crease as well as can throw down the gloves if need be.

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 28, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

if push comes to shove, i'd prefer saying bye to Poti or Juice. Should try to hang on to ShaMo IMHO. At least for now.

Posted by: doughless | December 28, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Our first Schultz is horrible post.

Don't know what team you're watching but Schultz has been our best straight-up dman this season.

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Mason for Theo? Hmmm.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 28, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Who started up the Doofus Bus?

Posted by: IceNutz | December 28, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Personally I would like to see Poti moved. He is a big defenseman that plays small and does not offer anything our other D Men cannot bring to the table.

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I hated Schultz last year and at times think my 5-10 200 lb frame can kick his arse, but he has been solid all year. If anybody is gone its gonna be Juice or Mo

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 28, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

So now the Leafs are out of the talks and the Sens may be in. Of course, that is according to HB.

Like I posted earlier, I think GMGM may be just trying to dump extra d-men and salary for another bigger move down the line.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Feeding the flames of mis-information:

Latest from Eklund: Leafs out; Senators in?

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Commadore would be the best one, but who wants 4 or 5 more years at 5 each. Until we know something the rest is speculation, when did GMGM ever let the public know anything until far after the fact. Patience and we shall know.

Posted by: RichC3 | December 28, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

This is a Stanley Cup contenting team, so it would make no sense to bring in anyone who cannot contribute at that high level. Alternatively, trading an excess d-man for a draft pick or prospect (maybe Filatov) makes sense. We have extra d now and need to start thinking about making space for Carlson and Orlov over the next two years. I saw Filatov play in Syracuse last year and he is skilled but not physically strong enough yet to compete at the NHL level, IMO. So I would put him in the prospect category.

Posted by: zmega | December 28, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Certainly a lot of interesting speculation regarding these rumors of a potential trade. There's a likelihood of more trade activity prior to the deadline this year due to the Olympic break. The season resumes with one game on March 1st, then 12 games on the 2nd, with the deadline at 3pm on the 3rd. So, many teams may be looking to move guys before potential injuries might be incurred during the Games, especially blue chip UFAs such as Kovalchuk in Atlanta. Also, does anyone know the current amount of organizational contracts the Caps are currently carrying? Are they at or close to the limit of 50?

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | December 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Alzner for Filatov is a bad move for DC. They already sent Filatov to Russia cause he's a cancer.

Get on the boat. The motorboat.

Nylander for Filatov is acceptable....

Posted by: CF11555 | December 28, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Theo has been set up to fail here. Everyone, including Bruce and GMGM, knows the Caps will have a letdown tonight after two flawless, emotional games. Its inevitable.

Posted by: mja712 | December 28, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@mja712:

... therefore, the Caps need a very hot goalie and furthermore Theo can show he's the No. 1 ... ;-)

... and it makes even more sense, not to start Neuvy ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 28, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

He wasn't a cancer at all...Let's not speculate about things. He was sent to Russia because the kid isn't there yet.

And as I already said, Alzner has WAY more value than Filatov. Would not be a 1 for 1, but I think we all can agree Alzner isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mja712 | December 28, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

--------------
Nah, this is brilliance by BB... Ride Neuvy against the best to test his resolve and inflate his confidence and keep Theo fresh (and hungry) to dessimate the Canes. Theo's going to play his arse off tonight

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

If Commordore were to some how end up on our team...I really hope he picks #64 for his jersey.

Posted by: CheckingLine | December 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for Ovi v. Gleason 3.0. Knee-on-knee to open the series followed by Ovi slapshot off the Gleason grill. Of course, Gleason scored a suspension on Ovi, scored short-handed but we won both.

What tonight?

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@Chad8:

I totally agree ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 28, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheckingLine | December 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Being the computer geek that I am, that made me spit out my lunch...

Too Funny!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | December 28, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Dude, that Gleason mug took a beating didn't it? That was some grisly nastiness on his face. Give the dude credit though, slapping on a cage and notching a shorty afterward? You gotta respect it. I'm sure tonight's game will be fierce.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Theo has to do something. He's never going to see the money he's getting now again, he's going to go the way of Biron and other off-again on-again starters.

If he doesn't start working, teams are going to etch him off their list of potential goalies to sign next year.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Eh, it's not speculation. Semin turned out alright, but I have a feeling Filatov is worse than Semin.

Kid needs an attitude adjustment.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

mja712

The Caps have more goalies than they know what to do with. As I stated earlier, I belive they are showcasing a goalie if any of the trade rumors are true.

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I've got a Commodore 64 emulator on my computer...haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Kid needs an attitude adjustment.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 28, 2009 2:26 PM |

Then link me, kind sir. Show me where (other than fans) are talking about Filatov's attitude.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

FLDave-
I think you could be right, if the goalie they're showcasing is Theo. I have a hard time believing they'd let Neuvy go with Theo's contract about to be up. Poti and Juice would be my guesses for trade right now, but you never know what the great hockey minds are thinking.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Interesting from Tarik's twitter:

If Karl Alzner is being scratched tonight for any reason other than it's his turn to sit, well, that's news to him.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Chad8

The defensive depth (regardless of healthy scratches) is not very deep for the Caps. That is their weakest link. If a goalie were to be traded I am not sure who would be on the market that could help the blueline.

I don't see a trade coming anytime soon.

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Re: Filatov - many players have had issues with Hitchcock's defense first system. So, it's not so surprising that a 19 yr old who may never have been expected to do anything other than cherry pick might have some issues. Judging by their play in recent times, it seems he's not the only player on the Jackets who has basically quit listening to Hitch.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | December 28, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 2:34 PM |

Anton Volchenkov.

Don't know if the Sens need a goalie persay, but that is a d-man who (should) be available.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Too lazy to dig up the full story. Here's some of the SYR take:

Posted by: CF11555 | December 28, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | December 28, 2009 2:36 PM |

Paging Peca.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@CheckingLine - Commodore 64?! ROFL!

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

That's not very convincing, especially reading some of the venom listed by the readers of that blog.

Look, Filatov may or may not have some sort of attitude problem (and a lot of people say it arised AFTER Filatov's demotion by Hitchcock...hm), but to say he is a cancer is a joke and is completely unsubstantiated.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Someone was calling Chris Clark a cancer here a week or so ago. Obviously it's a term that seems to be easily trown around.

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

CTCapsPhan:
I would take Kaberle in a heartbeat ... but not for Alzner. :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 28, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

irockthered:
You never answered my question about the Nylander move - thoughts? :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

King Karl is NOT going to be traded. He already one of our top defensive dmen. Gmgm will not move him. O believe they want 23 and 26 and maybe 89 in the lineup to showcase them perhaps. The team is heading on another western trip so rotating guys through thed corps makes sense.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Boo, how are you?!

Filatov is 19 years old. Does he have some growing up to do? ABSOLUTELY! All 19 year olds do. I would not consider that to be a cancer on a team.

Wasn't Semin considered to be "cancerous" 4-5 years ago. I do believe it is age and the right environment.

Now, with that said, I would not trade Alzner straight up for the rights to him.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

The team has been waiting for a loooong time for a really good stay at home d-man; if they dump Alzner (who finally fits that profile) I will hit my head against the wall extremely hard. I am fine with the team dishing Juice to free up money, which is good because I know GMGM was just waiting for my approval in order to take this to the next level.

@RicketyCricket - Awesome name. That show is AMAZING. It's just made its way to Canada now and I am hooked on it.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Why are we assuming that we are getting a player in this 3-way deal? I know Eklund said that the Leafs are out and the Sens are in (yeah not a reliable source) but what's to say that the trade goes Juice and Mo to Toronto, Kaberle to Columbus and we get (FILL IN THE BLANK)?

Now if it is the Sens then I agree with richmondphil that we should go after Volchenkov. How about Juice/Mo to Columbus, Chimera/Torres to Ottawa and we get Volchenkov?

PS - Alzner isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe the Alzner for Filatov rumors, but it is a strange coincidence that this comes out the same day Filatov tells a reporter he might not come back to Columbus. Add that with Alzner being scratched for Sloan, I can see where this rumor grew legs. Hopefully, all this is BB just wanting to give Sloan NHL playing time before he is shipped to Columbus with Poti/Juice/ShaMo or is waived.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel with just Neuvy and Varly as the goalies. They are both rookies and aren't any more consistent than Theo.
A few comments about "the way" Neuvy has been playing are interesting because he is pretty much break even now - he had a couple of really bad games and a couple of good ones. Not enough to judge his development and ability. Maybe it was just luck.
Basically, hoping that Theo will stay, which will provide more time for our rookies to get better.

Posted by: RusCap | December 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@ttn73:

Poti beeing traded at least would explain, why he didn't play ...

... instead of: "It's a body injury," Boudreau said ... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 28, 2009 2:03 PM

"A body injury" hmmmm.....

Am I the only one who notices a trend of increasing vagueness? Used to be "Strained MCL" or "High ankle sprain".

Then "Upper body injury" (i.e., betweeen the hip and the top of the head) or "Lower Body Injury" (i.e., between the shoulder and the sole of the foot).

Now it's "A body injury" ROFLMAO

IMHO, The NHL's front offices secretly enjoy fueling rampant speculation and argument about the nature of player injuries.

What sweet treat will next emerge from this piƱata of glibness?

I predict that the next logical progression will be something like this:

COACH: "A player was definitely injured in tonight's game"
PRESS: "Who was it, Coach?"
COACH: "I can't tell you that"

Or maybe this:

NHLOTF Announcer: "Welcome to tonight's edition of NHL On The Fly. The big story this evening is that soemwhere in the NHL a player might be injured, but League policy prohibits disclosure of the players' identites, the nature of the injuries, or even which teams have injured players on their rosters"

Isn't this getting to be a bit silly?

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RusCap | December 28, 2009 3:04 PM |

Are you really advocating keeping Theo here another year+?

Me and kittypawz forewarned about this at the start of the season, but has Varlamov not proven himself enough for you? He certainly has won me over, and I'm ready to say good bye to Theo.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I was at practice and did notice Alzner and Poti taking extra drills and concluded that Alzner is tonight's healthy scratch. Don't know why he'd be a healthy scratch since he's been playing well. Unless they figure that it's time to give Sloan an opportunity to play again since it has been a long time since he's played. Oisk and Juice have both been healthy scratches lately. ShaMo had missed time with injury. Our remaining d-men are Schultz and Green. (Pothier is still injured, I assume._

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@Aldred15 - Enjoy the first 4 seasons... season 5 wasn't bad just not as good.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

this team needs no more drama. no trades for new drama queens.

Posted by: doughless | December 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"FriedmanHNIC: @dchesnokov Nothing to report. Don't think either GM likes the fact it's public. Neither one really leaks anything."

Apparently the more we keep discussing it the less likely anything is to happen :)

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Alzner is sitting tonight because it's his turn...showcase the rest of the d as trade bait.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

On the trade speculation, I doubt if the Caps wish to trade Alzner. His presence among the D-corp will make us better in the long run, in that department. If I were to get rid of D-men, he's one of the last ones I'd want to part with. (I'll admit I'm generally biased in favor of keeping youth.)

While Filatov is a good prospect, he's not exactly what the Caps need right now. He would probably fit better with the Caps system than with Columbus' system but offense is not a pressing need for the Caps.

For Columbus, of all the guys to propose to trade to us. Jason Chimera, one of the VERY people who went after Ovi on Nov 1. Raffi Torres who Ovi collided with and the injury resulted. (That one wasn't deliberate.) I'm shocked they didn't mention Boll.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

MetalCapsFan has it right on Filatov, when he's a 19 year old playing in Defense first system under Hitch when he's supposed to be a dynamic offensive player...Seems like we had several players that were young and restricted playing that way when Hanlon was the coach here. Once Boudreau gets here, certain players took off. You let that guy play and defense will eventually come. That being said, I still would not trade Alzner for him.

Posted by: topshelf | December 28, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@--Boo-- - That's because I missed it. :-( Could you re-ask?

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Good move. Theodore needs some work and some confidence rebuilding.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | December 28, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@Capsfan75

Problem with Raffi and Chimera is that neither are centers.

This trade SHOULD be Poti for a pick/AHL'r. Wishful thinking...

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Eklund posted this on his message board @ 3:13:

"...It really does sound like Alzner is in it. He is hell of a player."

If we keep chatting up the internet noise and irritating the GM's on either side we'll kill this thing yet ;)

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

CTCapsPhan:
I'm just ducky, thank you! :-) How are you?

IRTR:
I just asked what you thought about Nylander moving? I know it's old news but I have not been around much! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 28, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Eklund's twitter post from 3:17:

"just confirmed the Senators want Filatov, as do Caps. this really may be a Filatov trade"

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks like things may be heating up for Filatov.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 28, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Eklund is an idiot.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

@RicketyCricket - Eklund is never right so I don't think there is reason to worry about Alzner going anywhere.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 28, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@ richmondphil

Varly won me over during the playoffs and he keeps proving himself. I have an issue with Neuvy. I was soo worried when he was in the net against Buffalo, Edmonton and especially Jersey! He did earn my respect after those games but he looked awful before that. I suppose he'll get more playing time this season and we'll see. Jose is a veteran, I guess I'd rather be on the safe side and keep someone with experience.

Posted by: RusCap | December 28, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Filatov would just be gravy for the future. I'm not sure if he's allowed to come back this year.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick - you are of course correct. He mucked up the Guerin trade all to hell last season. Just putting it out there for folks to see.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RusCap | December 28, 2009 3:30 PM |

I agree that Neuvy has been off and on again.

I am one of the biggest Theo defenders on here, but I can't rationalize signing him again for any amount after this season. Even if we still need a back-up for Varlamov, there are going to be much cheaper alternatives out there available to use as a stop-gap.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Eklund = NHL's National Enquirer

He's the one who said Nylander had signed a contract with the KHL.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 28, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

To me cancer = attitude problems and there ARE questions surrounding Filatov's attitude.

Essentially, he's been guilty of demanding where he goes (call up to NHL during AHL playoff run and reassignment to Russia).

Does that make him a child molester? No. But it's hard to say how much can be excused because of his age. I say only a little.

Like I alluded to, there were also issues with Semin and he seems to have turned out ok.

But, based on our needs and my time in Syracuse - I'd take a pass on Filatov if we have to give up someone important for him.

No way in hell we give up Alzner for him.

If we get him for little given up, then maybe our Russians can make him feel comfortable here.

Disagree or agree. But, I'm not making stuff up.

East side.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 28, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Filatov is a mess this year - why would we want him?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 28, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

@--Boo-- - Personally, I'm glad to see him getting some ice time. He just wasn't a good fit in the Caps' organization under Boudreau's coaching, and I'm happy for him that he's playing somewhere - anywhere - now.

Both sides handled the situation very well, and kept everything quiet, which I personally prefer over the public airing of dirty laundry.

Now, if he does really, really well in Grand Rapids, maybe someone will pick him up as a Rent-a-Player at the deadline... that would make me very, very happy.

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@RusCap - Varlamov is a very athletic goalie, but he depends far too much on his athleticism for me to feel comfortable with him as #1 for the time being. A year with Irbe coaching him, and he might be up for it, but look at the injury he's done himself, and he's not even 22 years old yet. A lot of the spectacular saves Varlamov has made have come because he put himself in a position where he HAD to make a highlight reel save to keep the puck out of the net.

Neuvirth has the better technique, and does not rely on athleticism. He makes some mistakes, yes, who doesn't, but I think he'll have the longer career, and I'd trust him in a 1A/1B with Varlamov.

If we need a veteran backup, Brent Johnson will be a UFA again in July...

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Another thought on Alzner, just because he "is in it" doesn't mean he is anywhere close to being traded. It just means that the other teams are saying that he is the one they would want.

Of course they want him. He is a good young D who is just going to get better.

But just because other teams want him doesn't mean GMGM is going to move him.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 28, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I still think this black and white distinction between "athletic" goalies and "technical" goalies isn't holding much.

Varlamov is just as technical, and far more positionally sound than Neuvy right now. He has the athletic ability to boot.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

From Elliot Friedman's Twitter seconds ago:

"It is Jurcina."

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo,

Doing well. Missing many of the posters like you from last year. I read more than I write nowadays.

As for Alzner and Filatov, I will go with Phil on this one in his support for Volchenkov. If we can't get him as part of any deal that includes Alzner, walk away.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Milan Jurcina goes to Columbus. No word yet on who comes back.

Posted by: NickG32 | December 28, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

juice traded to columbus according to mckenzie

Posted by: samb99 | December 28, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that Poti's injury is probably a groin problem. He's had quite a bit of trouble with his groin last year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

According to Bob Mackenzie, Juice has been traded to Columbus.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 28, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye Juice. !

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Bob McKenzie:

"Washington has traded Milan Jurcina to Columbus. Details to follow."

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

from MacKenzie:

Washington has traded Milan Jurcina to Columbus. Details to follow.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

glad to see I am only 10th in line. :)

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a pick/salary dump for us.

Wish it was Poti...

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

irockthered:
Glad to hear it. I know you thought he'd never go but, as I said, stranger things have happened! :-) I thought you would have been more surprised by the whole thing. Regardless, nice to hear that you support it.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 28, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

how much does juice make

Posted by: samb99 | December 28, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Full trade is Clark and Jurcina for Chimera. Wow.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

850K or something like that. Under a mil.

He had arbitration last year.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Chris Clark and Jurcina for Chimera.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 28, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Let's keep the insanity rolling. It's fun.
Alzner for Luke Schenn. Never would happen, but fair enough. Both were 5th picks.

Posted by: lornemyoung | December 28, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Full trade is Clark and Jurcina for Chimera. Wow.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 28, 2009 3:51 PM |

Wow indeed.

Chimera is a great two-way player, but he has cement in his gloves. Can't finish.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

WOW....Chimera for Clark and Jurcina!?! Is Ovie the new Captain???

Posted by: robostop10 | December 28, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Milan at 1.375m, UFA after the season.

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

What? I hearing Clark + Juice for Chimera? Is that for real?

Posted by: ablake70 | December 28, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

CTCapsPhan:
Ya, I miss the old crew too, although a lot of us keep in contact via email. I stayed on top of reading the blog for a long time even after I stopped posting so often, but I have even been bad about that this season. Oh well, at least the email crew serves as a pseudo TEB! :-) BTW, did you hear about Juice? ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 28, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

We cleared $4m in space and only took on $1.9? Wow.

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

jurcina and clark for chimera

Posted by: wendel2 | December 28, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's real and done. Hello, Jason Chimera. Welcome to the Red and White!

@saintex

Guess I was way off, huh? 850K must've been his hit last year BEFORE arbitration. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Who becomes Captain now, Ovie, Laich or someone else?

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 28, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina to Columbus. Not sure what else.

Posted by: BobLHead | December 28, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I have my Ovi jersey at home with a C on it? Could tonight be the night?

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@robostop10

Or is Laich our new captain? When Clark went out last year, I would have proposed naming a new guy (e.g. Ovi or Laich) as captain with the caveat that the captaincy would be returned to Clark upon his return.

But to acquire Chimera -- of all people!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Getting the news via Twitter seems a lot like Fantasy League info...doesn't seem legit till confirmed by an official source.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 28, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

If Juice is gone, does Alzner get to play tonight after all?

I'm betting that Tom Poti's groin is hurt. When he's out, that's generally the problem.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

so what does this trade really do for us. i get the whole salary cap thing. not sure about this.

Posted by: samb99 | December 28, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I am really surprised about Clark in the equation.

Did we get that tough grinder we were looking for that can keep Cindy out of the crease?

@ Boo,

if you want to add me to the list, my e-mail is mike.doyle@spotonmedia.biz

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 28, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I have just reintroduced myself to the refresh button.

Posted by: BobLHead | December 28, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Just saw a twitter post, I think from "Ecklund"...another trade is in the works with Columbus. Not sure if GM GM is working another or it is Columbus and someone else. I thought the trade deadline was two months or so away. LOL.

Posted by: robostop10 | December 28, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Hockeybuzz just said we traded Chris Clark and Jurcina for Chimera....

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | December 28, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

clark and jurcina for chimera... confirmed

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 28, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

It's been called by Bob McKenzie at TSN...I trust him.

"Jurcina and Chris Clark from Washington to Columbus for Jason Chimera. Done deal."

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

PEOPLE. THE TRADE HAS ALREADY HAPPENED AND IS CONFIRMED.

Clark's hit which goes through next year is gone! More money for Backstrom.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

WTF...

Wow. I do not understand this move unless something else is going to happen.

Posted by: FLDave | December 28, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

it makes sense in terms of money for backstrom, but we need to be getting something else whether its from cbj or another team

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 28, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I was shocked to see Clark in on the deal. Guessing Sloanie moves up to play on the 4th line and Alnzer is no longer a scratch.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 28, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Bob McKenzie now on TV doifor the Team Canada/Switzerland Junior Tournament game.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 28, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It looks like this is a salary dump. Sorry to see Clark leave, but frankly he has not been at all good. I wanted to keep Juice because I think he is a good value D. My bet is that Chimera will be a small step up from Clark, and we will not really miss Juice since the other D we have are roughly equivalent, with some notable exceptions (Green, Alzner).

Posted by: crooks_c | December 28, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Can't comment on Chimera because I have really never seen Columbus play aside from the game early this year the Caps played against Columbus. One thing that jumped out to me about Chimera is that he has 47 penalty minutes. Is he an enforcer type with some skills to go along with it?

This essentially looks like a salary cap move, but again, I'm pretty ignorant to the details of the trade other than the information about the players involved.

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 28, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse