Theodore 'real good' in OT win

After a ridiculously long day that included writing a playoff preview and trying to rescue a laptop decimated by a nasty virus, I've got to be brief tonight.

Check out my game story (it's got some good quotes), then come back for some video and a few notes:

*First off, I thought Alex Ovechkin had his strongest game in a while. He still has tallied in only three of his past 18 games - he confirmed that Mike Knuble did, in fact, redirect his shot past Tuukka Rask late in the second period - but the two-time MVP looked like his old, high-energy self with a six-shot effort.

Ovechkin drops a couple of good lines in the video below:

Boudreau on his star winger, whom he thought has held back in recent games because of the suspensions:

*If it seemed like the Caps blocked a lot of shots tonight, that's because they did. They were credited with 22, their highest total since blocking 23 against Dallas 14 games ago. Shaone Morrisonn led the way with five.

*After a pair of not-so-great starts, Jose Theodore has put together back-to-back impressive outings, which should ease any fears that he had lost it. Tonight, he stopped 28 shots, including two straight stacked pad saves on former Montreal teammate Michael Ryder, who Theodore said looked at him, smiled and mouthed some not-so-nice words.

"The Johnny Bower double stacked pad?" Coach Bruce Boudreau asked. "It's hard to save which was his best. He's made some great saves to keep us in. He's had his couple of a bad games [and] now he's back in the groove I hope. He was real good."

*The Caps' much maligned penalty kill has snuffed out all nine shorthanded situations it has faced over the past three games, including a three for three effort tonight. In all, Jeff Schultz and Tom Poti led unit held the offensively challenged Bruins to just three shots.

*Despite the loss, the Bruins earned a point and helped their chances of making the playoffs. For a really cool look at playoff probability, check out sportsclubstats.com.

*Boudreau rested Mike Green tonight. And he might rest other stars tomorrow. When asked point blank whether he planned on sitting other key players in Pittsburgh, he would only say that he hasn't ruled it out.

That's it from me. I'll check in from Mellon Arena in a few hours.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 5, 2010; 11:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's lineup: Bruins at Caps
Next: Caps recall Alzner, Beagle

Comments

Theo was incredible. He made a number of incredible saves tonight, and showed some great speed in a few of them. And the first line was very good tonight, for the first time in a while. I don't know what was with Flash, but he seemed off all night. Still, a strong effort and another good win.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 6, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Interesting note on ESPN regarding second half records and the tendency of teams who have strong second halfs to go deep in the playoffs.

In the second half, the Caps blow away the competition, and every other top team is in the West:

Team Record Points PCT

St. Louis 16 10-6-0 20 .625
N.Y. Rangers 16 8-5-3 19 .594
Calgary 17 10-7-0 20 .588
New Jersey 17 8-5-4 20 .588
Buffalo 18 10-7-1 21 .583

*not including last night

Now I get entirely that people have been disappointed with the way the Caps have been winning in the post-break time frame. At the same time, the Caps have established themselves so far ahead of the competition that they have needed to summon their motivation to win games against teams that should be brimming over with drive. Yes, I'd like to see stronger D, but that ability to win, plus the urgency they will have in the playoffs, bodes well.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

Thanks,Tarik.This is my 1st stop every morning.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 6, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

@Sonyask
Thanks for passing that breakdown along. I agree that they have not had very much to play for and yet they have still gathered points and are moving along. I think the D will be vastly improved by the team as a whole when the playoffs start and they have something real to play for again. The lines will be settled and there will not be as much experimentation. All good things.

Posted by: _Mark | April 6, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Good win by the Caps against a very desperate team. I just hope the Caps aren't forced into using the Erskine/Sloan pairing in the playoffs. It seemed like almost every time the Caps got hemmed in their own zone Erskine and Sloan were on the ice. Erskine did have some good keep ins at the point in the offensive zone. Just mentioning that so it's not all negative. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 6, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night so I didn't take a look at this CI board until this morning. What the heck fans? If the Caps win 6-4 they are not playing good hockey. If the Caps win 2-1 or 3-2 twice in a row they are not playing good hockey. Not sure what you guys want.

On the way home I listened to the Caps post game show and was surprised to hear that the Bruins are have the 2nd best road record in the Eastern Conference, 2nd only to our Caps. Our boys beat them in a pretty a must win game for them. The Devils just lost to these guys 1-0 it OT. The Caps are playing pretty decent hockey. The biggest concern last night was when the Erskine/Sloan pair was on the ice. It was an adventure just about every time they touched the ice.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

An aside, and probably a familiar complaint for both readers of the CI and the people who work at WaPo. On a day when the Post fills half the top fold of the front page with a series of pictures on the theme of "a big sports day," I have to dig to find the story of last night's game on page D3 of the sports section. It amazes me that if you're going to run a series of photos like that, that you can't find room for a mention of the Caps victory--the only winning team in town. You have (in clockwise order), an out of town basketball photo, a local baseball photo, an out of town golfer photo, an off-season local football photo. If you want to bury into the implications of each photo, it's two college basketball teams which mean little to local fans, the usual destruction of the Nationals on opening day, the return of the Disgraced Tiger, and the usual off-season stupidity out at Redskins Park.You can't make room in the collage of photos on the page for the only feel-good local sports story of the year? I enjoy (mostly from a reader's perspective)the CI, and take most of the Capitals fans paranoia about the NHL and the media with a grain of salt, but as the playoffs near, and the season winds down, it really does seem that this team which wins with grace and style and grit gets ignored. This has nothing to do with the efforts put forth by Tarik and Co.; it's higher up the food chain. But it makes me cranky when the sports page (and today the front page) is dominated by news that's nowhere near as immediate. I mean really--the Redskins? Half the front page of the sports section? Now? Who's still fooled by that? Anyway.....

Posted by: maalesh | April 6, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm very glad that the Caps have been winning tight games against desparate teams. They have some awesome confidence in their play and their teammates. That being said, the way teams can pin some defensive pairings (read Erskine and Slaon/Corso) in their own zone and that some lines are pretty weak (read fourth line) concerns me. The not-so-great Caps allow teams to cycle the puck waiting for a lapse or the Caps to get tired and commit a penalty. I wonder if Erksine, Corvo, and Sloan will be in the stands most nights and if BB will shorten his bench to 3 lines for the most part.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | April 6, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Well stated @maleesh.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I guess Corvo can't get a break. He had the second most ice time (behind Sarge), including the second most on the pp (Ovi). He was called on to fill some big shoes (Green's) and overall I'd say he played responsibly. Not great, but creditably.

The game plan last night was get back on D. We did.

Barring injury, we are not going to see Erskine-Sloan in the playoffs. With any luck, Juice and Erskine will be platooning by the second round.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Its a shame Pittsburgh didnt hold up their end of the bargain..this game could be so big.

At least the two Caps games in DC were worth the money...The Melon heads have to watch a meaningless game tonight.

Oh yea..they need the points...I forgot.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 6, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Boudreau is crazy..."Theo looked real good"...?? THis is the same guy who said Sloan was the best Defenseman in Training Camp...(BTW...other than the phat contract, how did that work for you sloanie?)...

Honest words here...(I know this board doesn't like honest opinions)

Theo is MONEY with head on shots. He is TERRIBLE when the puck moves east/west. There were a bunch of times he was on his needs like a fish out of water trying to locate the puck.

I am so dying to see the cup in Washington...but if we meet a team that tests Theo's (lack of) Athleticism, we are done in the water...

(and I thought Varley was the answer, he has been incredibly inconsistent too)

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 6, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

oh and by the way, I am FIRST to criticize Mike Green and his defensive play...HOWEVER, he has been a MONSTER in the dzone..playing more physical and still doing it on the offensive side.

ONLY because of his post Olympic play, I would NOT be suprised if he won the Norris...he has been crushing people along the wall and in open ice...

I just hope he has enough Easton Sticks for a long playoff run...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 6, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I think there's just a vocal minority that for whatever reason is only happy criticizing and complaining. I can't figure it out either. But how do you even argue with people who say we would be better without Ovechkin, or that Theo's goalkeeping isn't good enough. Too ridiculous to engage.
I for one am realllllly looking forward to the playoffs.

Posted by: catymac | April 6, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Wasted a few minutes I'll never get back but I will share my data with all the peeps out there saying the Caps are only where they are because they play in the Southeast.

Let's say for arguments sake every point earned against the Southeast is removed, not the losses, just the wins and OTL points earned. I will list the teams in order of points earned outside of the Southeast with number of games in which points earned are against teams in the Southeast in parenthesis.

1. Washington 78 (20)
2. Pittsburgh 75 (13)
3. New Jersey 71 (13)
4. Buffalo 71 (13)
5. Ottawa 71 (10)
6. Philadelphia 64(10)
7. Boston 63 (12)
8. Atlanta 63 (10)
9. Montreal 62 (13)
10. New York Rangers 59 (13)
11. New York Islanders 57 (11)
12. Florida 56 (10)
13. Carolina 51 (14)
14. Tampa Bay 51 (12)
15 Toronto 51 (12)

Yes, the Pens would only be 3 points behind and the Devils, Sabres, and Senators would only be 7 points behind. However, keep in mind the Capitals earned points in 20 games against the Southeast so they would have 7 games in hand against the Devils, Sabres, and Pens, and 10 in hand against the Sens. Considering how good they did against the Northeast and Altantic the Caps would STILL have the Eastern Conference locked up right now. In the words of Sidney 'like it or lump it' the Capitals are a good team.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, you probably got that computer virus from the same place where you get all those topless Crosby desktop wallpapers ;)

Posted by: Langway4Eva | April 6, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Any word of when Playoff tickets go on sale ?

Posted by: fzuylen | April 6, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

ROFL @ Lanway4Eva...

Nice!

Posted by: robostop10 | April 6, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Man, the Caps are really lucky to have won the game last night. If Boston wasn't snakebit offensively, they easily win as they had probably a dozen point-blank high-quality scoring chances and only scored one goal on them (the Bergeron goal). Part of it was some sensational stops by Theo, but a lot of it was the Bruins' inability to put the puck into the net when it was right there in front of them.

Also, Green and Carlson can't come back soon enough. I won't add more about Erskine and Sloan, but Joe Corvo and his one-man Keystone Cop routine was really tough to watch. Sign me up for the growing number who think the Caps were much better off with Pothier.

Posted by: cainoo7x | April 6, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

@soaringcaps -- change your name back to sinkingcaps. You are a poster child for the board and its compulsion to find a black cloud in any silver lining.

Do you watch any other hockey? Isn't Rask is one of the top goalies in the NHL? Because he gave up at least one softie last night does that make him TERRIBLE on certain types of shots? Does Chara SUCK (even though he's one of the top D in the league) cause he got beat last night?

To you and the rest of this board, if you watch a little hockey outside the Caps you'll see that the best players in the world stink it up from time to time.

Theo is 19-0-3 since mid-January and it's because he has been a beast.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Bruce is going to give Alzner another shot tonight - and frankly, I don't see why he wouldn't play ahead of Sloan.

If Carlson comes back as well, I would be very curious to see how Karl and Carl would do together in the Den of Evil.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 6, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Theodore is the most overrated 19-0-3 goalie I have ever seen.

The Caps are the worst Presidents trophy team EVER...discuss...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Another way of making the same point, about the Caps not benefitting that much from the weak division:

The Caps' overall record is 52-15-12 for 116 pts in 79 games. 116/79 = 1.468 pts. earned per game played. In the division they are 18-3-2, 38 pts. in 23 games, 1.652 pts./game. Against everyone else they are 34-12-10, 78 pts./56 games = 1.392.

Now suppose they never played anyone in the SE div, and therefore earned points at a rate of 1.392 per game all season. 1.392*79 would give them 110 pts at this stage, good for a 3-point lead in the overall standings and a 13-point lead over the Pens and Devils.

So the only effect of the relatively weak SE div is that without that benefit, the Caps might have needed a couple more games to lock up the President's trophy.

Posted by: christiansonm | April 6, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: maalesh | April 6, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

maalesh, we're talking about a classic NCAA championship basketball game, an opening-day baseball game at which the president threw out the first pitch, coverage of the world's most famous about to return to perhaps the world's most famous golf tournament, and the trading of an All-Pro quarterback to a team in the same division, vs. a Caps game that was so important to the local team that the coach sat out one of his best players to rest him. I'm a Caps fan, too, but come on . . .

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 6, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@ SoaringCaps

If you think Theo wasent good last night....I want him to be "Not good" EVERY NIGHT.
As far as Sloan, maybe he was the best at the begining of training camp, that does not translate to what he is now. He will only see the play-offs if someone (or two) is injured.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 6, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

That should be "world's most famous athlete about to return to perhaps the world's most famous golf tournament. Although, given his recent exploits, you could put a few other things after "world's most famous."

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 6, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

"RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE"

Posted by: eorr53 | April 6, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

@rbpalmer

I agree completely. Lets put things in perspective.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 6, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm not saying you guys are wrong about Alzner and Holtby getting a shot to come up but where are you getting that info? Nothing on the Caps page, Bears page, or coming up in Google searches.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town
LMFAO....Where is chicken little when we need him.

Posted by: DBnMD | April 6, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Corvo had a lot of minutes and deserves credit there but he also seemed to lose the puck or have trouble everytime he got in behind our goal. Green's absence was very noticeable.

Posted by: dalves999 | April 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dalves999 | April 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Honest words here...(I know this board doesn't like honest opinions)

(and I thought Varley was the answer, he has been incredibly inconsistent too)

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 6, 2010 9:06 AM

bahaha hey how about not leaving Theo out to dry then you can complain about his side-to-side. how many times have has the backdoor been open?

that's kind of a silly statement to make if you've been watching the game as a whole.

Posted by: MNMNT | April 6, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2010 10:30 AM

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 6, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

hm... Beagle too... I wonder if Bruce is expecting some "message sending" stuff tonight?

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 6, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

If I were BB I would sit all of my stars players with the exception of AO. Sit Backstrom, Semin, Green & Shultz in that order ... I don’t want any of them injured in a meaningless game w/ Pits. We've already proved to them we're by far the best RegSeason team.

Posted by: guer_j | April 6, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@igor_k17

I think he is just giving some guys a rest. It wouldn't suprise me to see Steckel sit this one out(with Beagle filling in) and either ShaMo or Schultz with Alzner filling in.

No point in getting guys banged up before the playoffs.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Comment from my co-worker who is a huge Pens fan: "I wish the Caps would call up the whole Bears team tonight. Then maybe the Pens would have a chance of winning. We need the points."

My reply to him: "And I'll laugh like h*ll if the Bears beat your Penguins."

Posted by: tess2201 | April 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

hell, I say we send the Bears to Pittsburgh and have the Stingrays travel to Pittsburgh, and Stingrays forfeit their 1st playoff game. That would more fair for the teams in the NHL, AHL, and ECHL.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Hell, I say we send the Bears to Pittsburgh and have the Stingrays travel to Syracuse, and Stingrays forfeit their 1st playoff game. That would be more fair for the teams in the NHL, AHL, and ECHL. Plus it would get our guys a day or rest.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Sonyask and fanohock1 for the stats - more ammo for my moron friends who think we're a paper tiger.

As for Erskine, I actually think he brings a lot to the table. Paired appropriately (and that's a key), he does great. Pairing him with Sloan is like a practical joke, though. He stays home, plays physically, passes well out of the zone, and holds the point decently.

Posted by: EricinReston | April 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

All joking aside, sitting one or two of our top players is acceptable but if I was NJ I would expect the Caps to put out a strong effort to give me a chance to compete for the division crown. If I was the Ranger, Flyers, and Bruins, I would hope the Caps would put out a strong effort come Friday. It is great to be on top but as an organization the Caps don't want to appear to be throwing games. Reminds me of a game at the end of the 2007-08 season when Florida went to Carolina and won there for the 1st time in some ungodly amount of trips. If the Panthers would have packed it in early the Caps may not have captured the SE that year. Of course they finished strong enough to be the 7th or 8th seed I think, even if Carolina would have won the division.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

OV is back. I think he played great attacking like the old OV; on the last past few games he had been stopping just above the blue line and then cruising horizontally (maybe trying to emulate Semin's wicket shots while going sideways?) making it easy to defend him - that is not his strong game.

I still see a lot of individual play among the two top lines, in my opinion, I think they need to look for each other a bit more.

Posted by: hock1 | April 6, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

BB is still cracking up a little bit when TEB flashes that camera out.

Posted by: dukster | April 6, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Big difference between "nothing to play for except pride" as in your Florida 08 example, and "nothing to play for because you have won everything there was to win so far". We always want to beat the Pens - but I don't care about being fair to Jersey. Two years ago NJ and Pens had nothing to play for going into the last weekend, both went to Philly, both got shut out (yes, Flyers actually had a goalie then); Flyers snuck into the 6th spot - and we all know the rest... So I am perfectly fine with resting a few tired guys and giving Beagle a chance he has earned. And even more so with Alzner, because our D is anything but set in stone for the next week and on. In fact, if Juice is ready for the second round, and we make it there *in spite* of our D, I wouldn't mind seeing 23-27 together again.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 6, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, Malwarebytes is free and gets rid of mostly anything that may infect your computer. You can download it from cnet. It works best when the laptop is run in safe mode.

What can I say? I am a computer technician that is a caps fanatic.

Posted by: rockinthered1 | April 6, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

welcome to our online store,we have payment by paypal and free shipping, now pls copy

and open this address ( http://www.shoes2.us )

Posted by: 898551828 | April 6, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse