Theodore's got the flu, out tonight

Goaltender Jose Theodore will not start tonight because he has the flu, Coach Bruce Boudreau just said. Michal Neuvirth will start in Theodore's place.

Boudreau also said that John Erskine will take the warmup and "might" play. He wouldn't give a reason, but I'm assuming that means another defenseman is nursing an injury.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 3, 2009; 5:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee: Caps looking long term
Next: Poti pulled from warmups (updated)

Comments

Guzunheidt?

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Just a ruze to show everybody why he had to spend so much "Capital" on his new 2nd goalie?

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

don't ever stop

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 3, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The plot thickens

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 3, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, poor Theo! :-( I'm sorry he's not feeling well!

Posted by: irockthered | March 3, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of any JT ruse or news I will enjoy watching The Newbie Neuvy playing tonight.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 3, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

oh really? nice. Michal time! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 3, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, STRETCH...! ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | March 3, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Let's Go Neuvy!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 3, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Schultz will have to sit out because he's nursing a wounded pride after reading this blog. :)

Or, he's recovering from being burned for five goals in the last game. :)

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | March 3, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

GMGM told theo he has the flu - a nice way of being a healthy scratch for the straight up trade for brodeur tomorrow. looks like we might get to see #80 again as a backup - how cool would that be?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 3, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

perhaps theo could drink out of schultz's water bottle and solve some of our problems.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 3, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@ dcsportsfan1

Now your thinking!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 3, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

maybe put theo and schultz on the kiss cam too.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 3, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Ovi, score!
And celebrate like a flying soccer player!

Do it for Russians!
Do it for the Caps!
Do it for hockey!
Do it for ESPN highlight #1!

Posted by: austinsteve | March 3, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

You know what? If Boudreau says Theodore has the flu, then I believe him. You can't "tell" someone they have the flu, sit out. It doesn't work that way. And I hope Theo keeps his water bottle to himself! Wishing illness or injury on someone ain't cool, even in jest... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | March 3, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1,

Not sure about that. It could go either way. JS55 could get the flu and be out, or, Theo could start standing around like a pylon, block his own vision and not stop anything. :)

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | March 3, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

irockthered:
i was just trying to be funny - guess it didn't work this time :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 3, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve,

You forgot the most important reason:

Do it for Cherry!

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | March 3, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

@ Puckdawg69

Yes, I think I just can't make myself type that guy's name.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 3, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Jon Sim was put on waivers by the Islanders. Maybe we pick him up just to keep him from haunting the Caps again?

Posted by: theshawn | March 3, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Who is going to be backup? If JT really has the flu he shouldn't be around the team so as not to infect them.

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 3, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Puckdawg69:
or theo could come out and challenge the shooter, ala avery, no matter where they are on the ice - laich could make any saves that got past theo

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 3, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Theo doesn't want to have a terrible game right before trade deadline. Anyway, GO MICHAL!! YAY!! :D

Posted by: rachel216 | March 3, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Backup tonight = Leonhard. Stretch rides again!

Posted by: hook99 | March 3, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm feeling a bit under-the-weather boss. You think I could get that kid whatshisname to cover for me tonight?

Gee, thanks. I'm gonna go get some rest. Promise not to trade me while I go sleepy-sleepy?

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm almost 100% sure that JT is sick, just funnin' around. Bad time to be ill, throws all kind of curves into our carefuly constructed 'matrix'.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I also like that "Erskine will take warmup." Wonder who is out.

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 3, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

That's what I'm wondering; who will be the backup? Do we have time to call somebody up, or are we really going with Stretch?

Posted by: terpsgirl02 | March 3, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

omg what if Schultz screens Neuvy again tonight or deflects it in? I think Neuvy will hurt him.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 3, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

If Neuvy doesn't hurt him there are a few people in 106 who will

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 3, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

maybe he'll whack him in the legs.

"Get those damn tree trunks outta here!"

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 3, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I was just reminded of a comment I wanted to make - did anyone see the way Nuvi looked at Schultz on the goal he deflected?

It was a stare of death...

Posted by: patrone | March 3, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't those GMGM comments look similar to last year?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 3, 2009 5:21 PM

VERY funny Capitain!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 3, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

those were meat to be separate comments...

Posted by: Leeguru | March 3, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

@patrone

Did Schultz then fall over from the stare of death? We all know he's a bit wobbly...

Posted by: Roose | March 3, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope its Schultz that's "nursing" and injury

Posted by: wgassert | March 3, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope Theo recovers soon, but, on the other hand, this forces BB to play one of the young goalies. It is my contention that we do not need a goalie, we have two future great goalies in the system and there is time for BB to get them ready for the playoffs.

@Cap_Kirk ...
"... if he (Nyls) could find some chemistry with some of the other forwards ..."
In my opinion, Nyls needs to find chemistry with BB. I still think Nyls is one of the best playmakers on the game, and BB is proving to be a very good coach, unfortunately, it is not working with them - why? who knows.

Posted by: hock1 | March 3, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

ERHD

117 will help

Posted by: wgassert | March 3, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Steve Hindle, the Caps guy at hockeybuzz, says that the Caps already have the max of 50 players under contract, so they have to trade a player to get a player: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=19726. Don't know if that's accurate or not (Katie? Tarik?), but if it is, that would mean they can't just trade a pick or get a guy off waivers. That could seriously reduce their flexibility tomorrow.

Posted by: Kirg | March 3, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95: that's really funny, and so true cause he doesn't even move. ;(

patrone: Yeah, who knew such an innocent baby face could give such an evil stare. Let's hope Schultz doesn't do that but for some strange reason I feel like he is going to do something really stupid that will make us all angry again tonight. I sure hope I'm wrong. Poor Schultz.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 3, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

So I've heard that players can talk on the ice. Why doesn't any tell Schultz to plant his heiny somewhere else besides in front of Neuvy? Or Neuvy could tell him before the game? Maybe threaten to stick him between the legs if he's in the way again?

Let's beat Carolina tonight! Nothing less than 4 goals against them tonight. Semin, be a dear and get that first goal in for us, please! Great way to finish off your birthday, right?!!! yay!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 3, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if tonights game is on the net?

Posted by: MReilly9 | March 3, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I've never quite understood why the NHL has such late trade-deadlines (this coming from more of a Skins fan). It always seems like you're rooting for a team all season long, & then you have this new superstar, & it's like, well that's nice, but he's not part of the team I've been rooting for. Is there something I'm missing in the culture of the NHL or the nature of hockey?

Posted by: Josh7 | March 3, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Pre-Trade Deadline Caps D Drinking Game!

Using our D as a screen to score: drink

Breakaway goal from someone misjudging a loose puck at mid-field: drink

Turnover in the defensive zone: drink

Deflection off a Caps player into our goal: drink

Delay of game penalty: drink

Allowing a garbage goal without punishing the scorer: drink

This game is null and void forever starting at 12:01 am Thursday March 5

These are the Hurricanes, they are not doormats, but we should be able to handle them.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 3, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh7 | March 3, 2009 6:20 PM

there's quite a lot of dynamics which differ from the likes of the NFL and NHL. First off, a new cog in a hockey team can do wonders for a struggling team, while a new cog on a football team isnt going to help the team if its not working anyway. In hockey, individuals have the potential to be game changers themselves, while its much more a team dynamic in football. The deadline is later because its an effort for the "almost" playoff teams to try to make a late 20-15 game run, while giving teams in the gutter a chance to pick some up picks.
Usually though, hockey management is going to form a "core" of about 4-6 players and switch around the details. you cant really do that in football.

but, you have a valid point, hockey teams do see their players moved around a lot if you arent part of the core but i dont know if its necessarily more than the NFL or MLB on a % basis.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve:
of course you must mean that the actual caps Dman that commits this 'party' foul - goes directly to the bench - chugs 12oz - then heads right back onto the ice - all in hopes of 'better' play?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 3, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe it's reversed, committing the party foul may be a sign of excessive partaking by the offending Caps d man

Posted by: austinsteve | March 3, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kolbe just mentioned Schultz twice! And they were both good plays!

Posted by: geauxcaps | March 3, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

new thread!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 3, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I live in Cincinnati, I wish we had a first place team with a goalie like Jose Theodore. Just curious why people are so hard on your team and him? Not everybody can be Brodeur, etc. I guess Theodore can be a head case, confidence, hard on himself? But I think he`s 16-7-3 since a rough start. Not bad. When he`s on, he seems as good as anybody. Inconsistent? I don`t know, I`m not there. What are the issues people have with Theodore. I do think he`s good enough to get on a roll and carry them to the Stanley Cup.

Posted by: dshieldsy | March 3, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Haven't these guys ever heard of a flu shot???

Posted by: cys868 | March 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse