Theodore Hurt; Varlamov Recalled (Updated)

Here's the latest on the Caps' goalie situation. You might want to take a seat.

Jose Theodore is, in fact, hurt. He is day-to-day with a hip flexor. I'm not sure when this injury happened.

The Caps have summoned Simeon Varlamov from Hershey and he hopes to arrive from Houston in time to be on the Caps' bench by the second period. He'll backup Brent Johnson. Eventually.

So who's going to be the other goalie? Why it's going to be web producer Brett Leonhardt. You may remember him from my chat this afternoon.

The team has received permission from the NHL to have Brett take warmups and sit on the bench until Varlamov is ready. Leonhardt, by the way, had to sign an amateur tryout contract to be eligible to do this. The contract is in central registry as we speak.

Aren't you glad you took a seat?

Update: Sean Colins and Oskar Osala have been reassigned to Hershey. But I've got to imagine they are going to stick around until after the game -- just in case they need to go to Montreal.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 12, 2008; 5:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Neuvirth Update
Next: Varlamov Is In The House (Updated)

Comments

STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | December 12, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

am I the only one who's hoping that we might get to see just a little bit of Varlamov in action? I can't wait to see this kid full-time.

Posted by: nag1055 | December 12, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I still want to see a trade.

So how does Nuevirth fit into this???

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 12, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Brett who?

Posted by: redskinsux | December 12, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

haha, and I thought the injury situation couldn't get any worse. It definitely got weirder. Would feel alot better about the whole situation if Johnson wasn't also (at least slightly) injured -It might not take much for him to be out but hopefully he can at least make it through the first period.

Posted by: finnmeg | December 12, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Okay - this has got to be a first.

Posted by: basrfg | December 12, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Sweet, I cant wait to see varlamov play in Wash

Posted by: graig82 | December 12, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

OK so cancel Nuevirth and Varly is coming up?

Posted by: HBFan | December 12, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

repost:

@JIMALLCAPS

It's only been this season that BJ has had a nagging injury., and even with his injury he is outplaying Theodore (and Huet for that matter).

As for the cap space, I doubt Huet's cap hit will bode well with the team either. Nylander's cap hit is 4.875, while Huet's is 5.625.

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

So was Neuvirth ever recalled? Or no?

Posted by: patrone | December 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

WOW! Leonhardt? Redskin was right.

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

BOOOOO and boring Tarik. I know you have nothing to do with it but the trade speculation was just getting going on the previous post... back to boring injuries.

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | December 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Tarik-what happened to the reports about Neuvirth being called up?

Posted by: gebster | December 12, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

And you guys thought I was crazy.... I reported this story over an hour ago. HAHA!

Posted by: redskins2448 | December 12, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Good grief ... I go on vacation and Tarik goes into overdrive!! No such thing as a boring day in Capsland, huh?

Now, any predictions for the big game tonight?

gebster:
His five hole?!? HA!!! :-D

mauree (from the previous, previous, previous ...):
Not offended at all - actually quite amused! :-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is crazy. It sounds like a Disney movie waiting to happen.

Posted by: jen-s | December 12, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I guess that explains why McPhee was spotted running around at KCI. Although why wasn't this "injury" reported sooner? And how did this "injury" occur - sorry, my inner Oliver Stone is seeping out apparently.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

@redskins2448

you have been right all along... hats off to you :)

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

would you people give up on the trade, you really think they are going to trade Nylander with all the injuries. Let it go already.

Posted by: HBFan | December 12, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I assume Neuvirth got the call up, they found out he couldn't get here by tonight, then they sent him back down and called up Varlamov once they determined he could get here in time.

Posted by: graig82 | December 12, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@ elicea -- a trade would have to factor in the excess for huet over thedore and nylander over a defenseman. Both da 'hawks and the Caps are near to the cap ceiling, so a deal would have to be pretty salary equitable. They can't trade straight up for Nylander and the Caps can't trade straight up for Huet, much less Khabby

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 12, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

gebster,

Neuvirth wouldn't be able to make it in time.

And I' watching WPL. They just finished talking about Caps, but right after, and I mean exactly right after, they go back to talking about the Redskins. No offense to the Redskin's community and such, but come on, Caps' situation is MUCH MORE interesting, right now. Well in my opinion at least.

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

man, talk about a wierd situation.
it took all day to recall one player?

Posted by: oo7 | December 12, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Nicely reported redskins

Also, STREEEEETCH!

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | December 12, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@redskinsux

Brett "Stretch" Leonhardt is a web designer for the Caps who is co-host with Mike Vogel on the Caps Report and Pre-Cap podcasts. He played goalie in the juniors and has done some work during Caps practices if needed.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | December 12, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

WILD

Posted by: MTB7 | December 12, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh sweet lordy please let Brent Johnson make it through the first period alive.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 12, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:
So is this Brett Leonhardt's first appearance in the NHL? Poor guy - is his claim to fame going to be riding the pine for one period of an NHL game? Now that's a story for the grandkids ...

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

We got lotsof options, like Tarik just covered on WPL.

Mikey D , Joe Beniati, heck even bring KOLBE down for a period. WOW!!!

Posted by: BBDwrestling | December 12, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

@ShariLeigh131 -

GMGM was probably running around because all moves by a team must be completed by 5 pm of the day and based on Tarik's posts, the caps were cutting it close. Moves includes, call-ups, approval to dress stretch, IR moves, etc. ... although I do like you're attempt to keep the rumor mill going :)

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | December 12, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

So....You think Varlamov gets the start tomorrow, since they dont want Johnson to play back to back games on his hip?

Posted by: graig82 | December 12, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

@ elicea -- Agreed on that -- the Caps are exciting, but the Skins is like watching a soap opera

@ ThisGuy -- amen, the Caps cannot afford for BJ to get hurt

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 12, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so this situation is OFFICIALLY making me laugh my (edited for new blog rules) off.

PUT ME IN COACH, I'M READY TO PLAY!

Odd that we couldn't get Newirth up here but will try to get Varlamov on time. Someone said there was a 3rd guy taking shots, that may have been Brett.

Funny, I wonder if he'll get a jersey or if he'll be wearing JT's 60. L.M.F.A.O.

This is wild, just wild. Now we all have to pray BJ doesn't re-injure anything tonight.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 12, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

OK, I thought you guys must be kidding, but noooooo!

-Boo!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

And to clarify, when you move a guy from ECHL to AHL, it's considered a "recall" just as taking a player from AHL to NHL.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS

And who exactly do you see Caps trading? Chicago?

I don't understand why some want Nylander gone. Yeah he hasn't produced [goals] as much as expected, but he has produced points. And in my honest opinion, he has picked his game up, recently.

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Also Tarik mentioned on WPL, that Theodore has had this injury for some 2 weeks now. I still can't recall where he attained this injury.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@Hey BooBoo: That article is from February.

Posted by: graig82 | December 12, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

What # will Leonhardt wear so I can get my jersey for the 1st period????

Posted by: ChrisinSS | December 12, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

15 points is "producing points"? 5 million a year for somebody on pace for 40 some points? Give me a break. Everybody wants him gone because he sucks. Plain and simple.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | December 12, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight... a former goalie who had given up on his dreams gets a second chance to make good?

I smell a Disney movie in the works... Miracle on Ice 2?

Posted by: KBBKBB | December 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Was anyone at today's practice that saw the injury?

Someone had to have seen him go off the ice...

Posted by: Great8 | December 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Another article about Brett:

BTW, if you click on the first article that I posted you will see pictures of Brett AND the mask with the big "N" on it that someone mentioned earlier. So it sounds Neuvirth was never here. Aaah! It all makes sense now ...

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

This is wild.

Posted by: _jordan | December 12, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll be Laughlin makes a comment tonight at the open about Joe B being formerly a goalie in the "Pee Wee League" and he could be next in line.

Joe B would actually be smaller in goal than Theodore.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 12, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Whoa this is sort of like that movie...Sudden Death...almost. Please, BB let Brett take the ice for one face off at the end of the game!

Does this mean if enough skating players get injured then GMGM will contract a phone booth janitor if he has to?

Posted by: Tex21 | December 12, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

graig82:
I know it's old (heck, it mentions Kolzig), but it was the best I could do. Hey, it's better than nothing, right? :-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

OK guys and gals, It's my time. I'm officially throwing my hat in the "rink" ( pun intended) for backup, backup goalie. I played freshman year at Rennsalear Poly Tech in 63. even have my old stick.
I'll be behind the bench if needed.

Posted by: billd2 | December 12, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@ elicea -- Nylander does not suck; I do not hate him. I do believe that he does not fit in the Caps system and on track for 40 points at 5 mil means he keeps Alzner in the semi-pros. I would like to see him gone for a defensive defenseman. i would like to see the Caps trade for Huet or Khabby because JT does suck, esp. for 4.5 mil for 2 years. That's my point.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 12, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

These cap moves (salary, not team) are amazing. Saving Osala and Colins salary for a night. It's not as if these guys are flying to Houston to skate against the Aeros. Well, if such a paper move helps keep Alzner in DC, I'm all for it

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 12, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, doesn't this Varlamov recall put us over the cap? Is anybody being sent down?

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | December 12, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Oops, didn't see the update, nevermind.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | December 12, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Tex21: I was thinking about that horrible Van Damme movie also. Sudden Death...almost as big of a joke as the Caps injury situation.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 12, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@VegasCapsFan

I meant to say he has been producing lately. And again, he has picked his game up. He's becoming more and more of an offensive threat, and less and less of a defensive liability. I agree that he should have more points than what he has now, but I'm just not part of that "everybody".

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe JT can be out on LTIR -- he won't be missed much

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 12, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Boo- I liked the article. Thanks. Even if it was old and schmaltzy.

This is nuts. I just ran in the door to change clothes and make a quick post before going to te game and now I'm gonna be late. This is CRAZY!! I was planning on hitting pregame skate for pictures, but now....

I was at a certain steak house near the VC today for lunch and the foks there were mentioning that BB said they recalled 2 goalies. I thought I was getting put on. I'm headed back to get the rest of the scoop before the game.

All these folks poo-pooing a trade. I dont know?? MMMMmmmmmm very interesting.

Singles-mingle, familly night and now this? Boy the VC should be fun tonight!

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 12, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Nylander's spinning along the boards may be impressive, but he just doesn't get BB's press system -- keep the puck up ice, get it up fast for odd man rushes, shoot, shoot, shoot. Backstrom has the system down, but Nylander is a lollygagger. He lollygags in the crease, he lollygags up ice, he lollygags on the PP, he lollygags along the boards. What's that make him? A lollygagger!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 12, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Holy Cow!! Now can we trade the Washington sportscasters and reporters? Is there a wonder why hockey hasn't flourished on this town? No need to answer, I know many of you kiss the ground these guys walk on.

Ridiculously incoherent and incomplete reporting; perhaps, caused by the "breaking news" syndrome of being first.

Posted by: opita | December 12, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

lamplighter1:
old and schmaltzy? Very nice! :-P Ya know, there are plenty of jokes in that, but I'll let it go since you need to get to the game!! ;-) GO CAPS!!
-Boo!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

My question is, why not sign Miss. VA? That could be a really neat story.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 12, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Opita-
I dont think it is anything more than this being a VERY fluid situation. If I heard from a person at lunch with knowledge of the Caps situation, it has to be crazy. Most journalist will try and confirm anything before posting something as news. Thats what seperates them from us. We get to make observations on rumor and they have to prove things with facts.

I would give everyone covering the team a little slack on how this is being covered. I dont think the team has a firm grasp on whats going on.

And this is coming from a person who went on a rant about the coverage 3 days in a row.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 12, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

i'm guessing tomorrows web highlights will all be of him on the bench...

this is freaking awesome. the guy has got to be s'ing a brick right now.

i recall the caps had to sign their goalie coach roger crozier to backup one time. they also had to bring a goalie down from the press box to suit up between periods during a playoff game..

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 12, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Boo- give my regards to Dave and the gang. I am leaving now. Have a great night all! I hope to be celebrating a win when I get home!

Oh- your welcome for the yiddish comedy.

GO CAPS

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 12, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

hey JIMALLCAPS
U R absolutely right on

Posted by: wendel2 | December 12, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Every day just adds another chapter to Gabby's book. Soon it'll be thicker than War and Peace.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 12, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Green and Fedorov will be playing tonight. Woo-hoo!

Posted by: gebster | December 12, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Here is a procedural question - nerds decend...

Why did the caps need the NHL's approval to dress Leonhardt? It sounds like a valid try-out contract was in place before the 5pm deadline.

What rules did the NHL need to waive?

Posted by: patrone | December 12, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

All righty, links for tonight's game:

web: http://atdhe.net/live-tv-1395.html

sopcast: sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/36451

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth was recalled. But something happened. I don't know if they turned him around or if he couldn't make it for some reason.

Posted by: el_bashir | December 12, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

This is the best story I've heard all week! Johnson should stay down a few seconds after the 1st whistle just to freak him out ;)

Posted by: honed | December 12, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

@patrone:
The Caps needed permission to dress TWO backup goalies, Leonhardt for the beginning of the game and Varlamov whenever he get here.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 12, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: el_bashir | December 12, 2008 6:18 PM

Poor guy gets jerked around more than Clinton circa '95. ZING!

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 12, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

@lamplighter1
I agree. I am sure they are doing their best under the circumstances they are put in. My irritation is more of a frustration with the organizations for which they work than with those guys; they are just the recipient of my intolerance.

Posted by: opita | December 12, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Is tonights game broadcast in HD anywhere? Why don't they broadcast all the games in HD?

I sound like a snob - but HD makes hockey 10X better.

Posted by: patrone | December 12, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

aww man I would have liked Collins to stay :(

Can't wait to see Green and Fed back on the ice though :)

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

My dad was JV goalie for Forest Park HS in Baltimore 1950-1951. He played before they had masks. I asked him once if was ever afraid of the puck, and he said, "That's why we wore a cup."

He's lidving in New Freedom, PA. Does the club need his phone number? He's only 74. Most importantly, his CAP figure would be really low.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 12, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, quit holding out on us. What number will he be wearing? We're all ordering custom jerseys!

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 12, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of the one record in sports that absolutely, positively will never be broken. No, not Cal's consecutive game streak; no, not Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak; no, not Micheal Phelps' gold medals or Brett Favre's TD passes.

Glenn Hall, goalie for the Blackhawks, played every minute of every game (started, finished and was never replaced in the middle of the game) for SEVEN straight seasons (I think 1955-1962). The only time he missed in those seven seasons was being pulled for empty net. And he did this without a mask, only losing one tooth in his career (Jim Pappin, Toronto, was responsible).

Back then, goalies didn't have back-ups. If they couldn't continue, the equipment manager suited up. The equipment manager, BTW, was also team doctor responsible for sewing up players with split open faces.

Boys and girls, we have it so easy in 2008.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 12, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

lamplighter1:
Dave has gone into hiding but when he resurfaces, I will give him your regards (and tell him that you called him schmaltzy! ;-)).

mauree:
Care to hook a fellow fan up with a streaming feed? :-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Brett Leonhardt will be No. 80 in your game program.

Posted by: el_bashir | December 12, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Boo: scroll up. Mauree posted a feed a little while ago.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 12, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Tonight will be a great game, I can feel it. :D

Posted by: rachel216 | December 12, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

A few posts up :)

Here it is again anyway:

web: http://atdhe.net/live-tv-1395.html

sopcast: sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/36451

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

tess:
Sweet ... that mauree - gotta love him! :-) Anyway, thanks for pointing that out!!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Got it, mauree (better late than never, right? :-)) THANKS!!!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Dude, Tarik, I was kidding. You're even thorough in responding to knuckleheads like me!

We truly are spoiled here at CI.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 12, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if the Caps have a police escort waiting for Varly at the airport so he can make it through Friday night traffic a little quicker?

Posted by: tess2201 | December 12, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

The future is here!

Posted by: meagle | December 12, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

John:
Do you live in Mpls? I used to live south of there. Regardless, shouldn't you be a Wild fan? ;-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

yay! Green! Fed! It's true!

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

CSN+ is so stupid, it doesn't start showing the game until like 8pm, this is so frustrating!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 12, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Here we go, LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

game is on now

Posted by: Erika29 | December 12, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Retarded CSN+, why does it always do this????? GRRRRR this REALLY REALLY sucks!!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 12, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

What a beauty!!

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Semin could just drag all the way down the ice, couldn't he?

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

SEMIN!!! but i can't see it cause the game for some reason is not on CSN+, i'm seeing beautiful black screen.. UGHHHH

Posted by: rachel216 | December 12, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: It's your cable or satelite company that's the problem. I've had the game on CSN+ from the beginning no problem.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 12, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who missed him, here's all six-foot-seven of Stretch:

Posted by: KurtNYC | December 12, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Rachel:
The online feed is a thing of beauty ...

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Unleash Leonhardt!!!

Posted by: yrb1 | December 12, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

My goodness how good is Johnny looking right now

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

did Poti score? I thought it went in the net

Posted by: rachel216 | December 12, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

hit the post

Posted by: Erika29 | December 12, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Poor Brett - didn't even get an entire period out there. Oh well, I bet he is pretty pumped, regardless. And how psyched must he be about that sweater?!?

BTW, Kurt, I wouldn't say that was ALL 6'7" of him ... ;-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 12, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

They're trying to hurt Johnny :(

Posted by: rachel216 | December 12, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

OMG, Simeon Varlamov IS AMAZING, when we drafted him and i just looked at his bio, i have a strong feeling he will be great in washington. For a couple of reasons, 1 is his athleticism, 2 just becasue he is russian :) and 3 he is quick and has so much potienal to be a vezina winner. I never belived that the goalies we had would never be good like cassivi, sebastian chapartiar, or maxium oullet. I never thought they would be good , but alot of people thought they would be the future. This guy im certin. Im getting his jersey when he starts to play reguarly for the caps.

Posted by: samrosen8 | December 12, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse