Theodore: 'I Still See Myself as a No. 1 Goalie'

(Jahi Chikwendiu -- The Washington Post)

Despite being replaced in goal after only one playoff game -- by the player the Capitals consider to be their future No. 1, nonetheless -- veteran Jose Theodore said he intends to come back to Washington next year and challenge Simeon Varlamov for the starting job.

Varlamov "is the goalie of the future, but he's still a young goalie," Theodore said earlier this afternoon. "I still see myself as a No. 1 goalie. I see myself coming here next camp and being ready right off the bat. I know what I can do. From there, they are going to decide what they want to do."

So what are "they" going to do, you ask? Seems that's still up in the air.

"Varly has proven that ... I think he tired the last couple of games," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "That's understandable. We'll give him a pass on that one as far as emotion. As a goalie, he staved off four straight elimination games. It's got be tough for a 21-year-old guy to do that. He definitely made a step in saying he wants to be the No. 1 goalie next year."

Asked if Varlamov will enter camp as the No. 1, Boudreau said: "That's what he wants to be. I see it as a great battle between [Varlamov, Theodore and Michal Neuvirth]. Who knows? You [might] need more than three. Brent Johnson is still in the mix. And he's a great team guy. I wouldn't count him out of being here."

Varlamov, Theodore and Neuvirth have contracts. Johnson, though, needs one.

"We just have to see what training camp brings," GM George McPhee said. "Obviously we have some idea of what might transpire. But really, if you're doing things right, you let them go at it in training camp and determine what's best at the end of the camp."

"We'll see, we can't bring them all back," McPhee said when asked about Johnson's status. Asked whether he expects Theodore to be in camp next September, McPhee said: "Yes."

"It was hard obviously," Theodore said. "All season, to fight for a good playoff position, which we did [by finishing] second in the east. Like I said, you play to have a good position for the playoff and then in the playoffs it's fun to play. It's where you want to be as a player. It's fun to have those challenges. I played one game -- it wasn't a good game. But still, a goalie can have a bad game in a series. It's just the way it is. I was ready to bounce back and I didn't have chance to do that. But after that, I was just being supportive. Obviously, I would have liked to play. It was tough to be on the sideline."

He added: "Hockey is a funny thing. Things change really quick. I played 55-60 games. I'm happy the way the second half of the season went. I see myself as a guy who wants to play 55-60 games. I just have to make sure I play well enough to play those 55 games."

"I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago [in Colorado] when I ended up not playing the last 30 games. I came back and played 55 games [the next season]. I bounced back. I don't see [next season] as a bounce-back season because I was happy with the way things went in the season. I see myself as a No. 1 goalie and that's the way I'm going to approach it."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 15, 2009; 2:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fedorov: 'I Still Have Got Some Legs Left'
Next: Boudreau: 'I'm Still Sort of Stunned'

Comments

"I see myself coming here next camp and being ready right off the bat. I know what I can do. From there, they are going to decide what they want to do."

...didn't we hear that last year and it was mid-season or later till he started getting his act together. I mean really. I was supportive of him when we signed him, but that novelty has worn off for me. Too many soft goals, too many should've been wins went down to a OT/SO/Regulation loss and just general lack of looking prepared to be in net. Maybe he's not used to playing in a system where the D-men are very offensive minded, but it doesn't take 55-60 games to adjust.

I say bring in someone else

Posted by: CentralPACapsFan | May 15, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

theo is in a contract year next year. by some coincidence, players tend to play better when they are in a contract year. if you can trade him in the offseason, great. otherwise he makes a good number 2 and excellent trade bait at the deadline...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Can we say, "clueless?"

Hey, Theo, I think Ron Wilson is calling you.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | May 15, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Theo's last game of the season stunk (4-7 vs FLA) so game one vs NYR should have been his "bounce back." It wasn't! He got his second chance and blew it and deserved to sit.

Posted by: Varly | May 15, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

i still see myself as 20 with no gray hair and no beer belly.

Posted by: jamebow | May 15, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The only problem with you seeing yourself as a number 1 Theo, nobody else does. I'm talkin' everywhere, not just DC or the US, but Canada as well.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 15, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

So I'm gonna say after next year, KHL, join Esche and Emery.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 15, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

He is still 40 years old. I don't want him signed to anything more than 1 yr. The price really isn't THAT important for next year..however if he wanted to continue past next year (yikes...a 41 year old forward playing in the NHL nowadays??) then he will have to make practically nothing.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 15, 2009 1:39 PM

Chelios is 47 playing D. at $750K
Lemieux 43 RW at $500K
Roberts 42 LW at $1.25M
Recchi 41 RW at $1.25M
Shanahan 40 LW at $800K
Numminen 40 D at $1.1M
Richardson 40 D at $500K
Roenick 39 C at $1.1M
Sakic 39 D at $6M
Lidstrom 39 D at $7.45M
Blake 39 D at $5M

I put the D guys in there because Feds can play D

Posted by: Greg S. | May 15, 2009 2:26 PM |

I knew someone was going to come up with a list like this. D men don't count, and if Feds wanted to play D full-time, then i am sure he could handle it.

Roberts retired early this year. dd not play a full year
CLemuix was completely ineffective. horrible return.
shannahan signed late. did not play a full year.
roenick was pretty much completely ineffective this year.

Listen, I get your point, but even if I included the D men, that list is VERY short. Am I saying Feds can't do it? No, but really man...posting this list really did nothing but prove my point.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 15, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Agree with CentralPa, but Theodore has a $4.5 deal guaranteed for next year and I don't see too many teams willing to take a guy who is essentially a No. 2 goalie off our hands. Brent Johnson would be a better fit both financially and not being a threat to young Varly, but think we're stuck with Jose for another year.

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 15, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Also, I don't see the problem with Theo. Let him stay his last year and fight for Varly.

Nothing makes a goalie work hard like potentially losing your job.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, everyone forgets that Theo dropped some turds in the run up to the playoffs. That's why he got yanked.

Posted by: thiazzi | May 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

and Jose is easily the No. 1 goalie in about 15 other NHL teams. ..Just not a playoff contender...haha

Posted by: richmondphil | May 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

And didn't Olie say something eerily similar last off-season?

Posted by: thiazzi | May 15, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Theo had a fantastic season. George McPhee knew his background and style of play and I remember the goalie battles early in the year, which did not surprise me at all given Theos performances in Colorado. After the Dec. 23 NYR game, you can tell Theo hardened a bit, put the criticism aside and played at his level.

If he says he can fill the no. 1 spot, then I will bet he will show up ready to play and compete for it. The uncomfortable nature of the Johnson/Theo battle is what challenged him to go on a solid run the second half of the season. I bet competing with two, possibly three other goalies will raise his game that much more.

Theo was a bit inconsistent, sure, and I screamed in frustration at soft goals throughout the year as much as the next guy. But his play the second half of the year was only interrupted by spotty play in front of him. The system MUST become more defensive...no Varlamov or Theodore can help that problem. That MUST be the lesson of these playoffs and what the Penguins showed the Caps how to do.

Posted by: fronesis1016 | May 15, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

and now TB is kicking theselves for picking up Olie and his one-armed self. They had to work some magic to get Toronto to take him off their hands.

And I can just imagine how pleased TB was that Olie's giving interviews and crying on camera about how much he loves Washington.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Good for you Theo! I think it will be a great battle this summer to see what happens. All you haters don't forget what Theo did for us this season!

Posted by: jmb9778 | May 15, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

What I would like to see happen is that caps buy out the rest of Jose contract. Varly no. 1 goalie and Brent as backup. At least with those two know you 60-75% what you got. With Jose you never know which Jose is going to show up.

Posted by: Debbie7 | May 15, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

he gave me heart attacks all season, that's what he did!

I jest, I jest. Mostly.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Said it on another thread but I'll say it again, why not have Theo and Varly as 1A & 1B, split the games to ease Varly into full time life in the NHL and it's not like we have to rely on Theo if he does hit a bad patch.

Also, one caveat on richmondphil's list - Chelios only played like 6 games in regular season and 3 in playoffs (so far) and he only played those because Rafalski was injured.

Posted by: ds_kelly | May 15, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

buying out contracts, particularly JT's contract, makes little financial sense right now.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

absolutely. that makes the most sense. of course, it leave Johnny looking for a new team...but business is business sometimes, unfortunately.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Chelios broke his leg, too. Probably why he only got into 6 games.

Posted by: thiazzi | May 15, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Theo and Varly together will be unreal. I really enjoyed watching both of them. There was not a single part of the team that wasn't questionable at some time in the year. Lets not forget we finished first in the SE and had a few wins this year :) Let them run and feed each others passion to play. (I always liked Brent too. The injury was a huge set back.)

Posted by: cappies | May 15, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Some of you people can puzzle me sometimes...

Theo got deservedly benched. He didn't whine or cry about it. He dealt with it and supported varly and the Team.

He thinks he can fight for it and earn the starting gig back. Good for him. That's what you're supposed to do.

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 15, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

A challenge forces good players to play great. I hope both Varly and Theo raise their level of play, to the benefit of the team.

Posted by: CheckingLine | May 15, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ds_kelly | May 15, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------

Like it or not, this is what the reality of our situation dictates must happen.

Posted by: Baildog | May 15, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* This was a seriously tough series to lose. Hopefully the boys learn from it. I'm still wrecked.

I have a long and busy summer ahead of me. Man, I hate summer.

As for Theo - let him fight for it. Maybe it'll help him improve his play. Varly needs a backup who can carry a lot of games - he seems to have issues with playing too much. I have no issue with doing a Varly/Theo tandem.

I worry more about D than goal right now, bluntly.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 15, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

No, but really man...posting this list really did nothing but prove my point.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 15, 2009 3:05 PM

I wasn't trying to disprove it either. I was just pointing out the other 39 and overs that are playing and what they were making.

His value isn't totally on ice. With the number of young Russian players here, it's a real asset to have Fedorov skate with them. He's a hero and a legend back home.

I thought last year's $4M was steep. Hopefully this year we're in the 1-2M range.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 15, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Totally fine with Theo and Varly being 1A and 1B next year. Ride the hot hand. Love Johnny and wish he could fit in the mix and split it with Varly because I think that would be the best scenario but Theo/Varly isn't a bad one.

Keep both of them fresh, get the schedule of what games detailed out ahead of time so that everyone knows when they are playing and change when needed.

Varly will be ready for the load next year and look who we have coming up behind him...Nuevy...then we can see how Holtby does in Hershey.

Posted by: caps28fan | May 15, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Word. I want Feds to come back next year as well, and like I said, I really don't think his price is going to matter too much for us, at least for next year. After that though, if he plans to play longer, then we will need lower that price. Start saving Feds.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 15, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Feds is an incredible asset to this team, and is worth every penny of $2M plus incentives.

Posted by: Baildog | May 15, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I worry more about D than goal right now, bluntly.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 15, 2009 3:36 PM |

Lots of low names, but solid defenders will be available this year.

I would like to see us go after Ken Klee if he wants to still play. He was the only + player on PHX, and +15 at one point. That is not easy to do on a team like PHX.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 15, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie --"he gave me heart attacks all season, that's what he did!"
-----------------------------------

Ha Ha! same here... same here

Posted by: guer_j | May 15, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Unrelated to this, I was just checking out the conference final schedule. It looks like none of the Eastern Finals will be on broadcast. I guess NBC didn't get the memo from Bettman to show Crosby whenever possible at the expense of everyhing else. That said, NBC knows that an original six Western final will get way more eyeballs than Pitt v. Whale, er 'Cane.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | May 15, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Theo has on-years and off-years, and his on-years come pretty much every year. The year before he came to Washington, he was playing in Colorado and had a 2.44 GAA and a 0.91 SV%. The year before that, his GAA was up over 3. Year before that, he had a 2.22 GAA and a 0.919 SV%.

Past performance is certainly no predictor of future behavior. But hopefully it is here.

Posted by: DC_BCF | May 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

He's a year-by-year player just like Chelios and the others (I think most are y2y). I don't think he's looking for a multi-year deal at all.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"Theodore was angry, frustrated and confused when he was replaced after struggling in Game 1 against the Rangers and he's still a bit upset. But it didn't sound to me that he's holding onto any grudges. "

angry and frustrated - absolutely understand that, any athelete should be in that situation

confused - um, theo you might be the only one who's confused. 4 goals in a playoff game to a team that scores 4 in a week...ok, not all his fault, but still.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

whats the next blockbuster headline?

Schultz: I still see myself as the crease clearing defensement this team needs.

Nylander: I still see myself as the circle skating top line center this team needs.

Semin: Hello

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

McPhee mentioned Laich moving to center possibly. That can only spark tons of rumors so have at that my fellow bloggers. (I think I'll wait till next season. I'm drained. Time to hibernate.)

Posted by: cappies | May 15, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

theo in contract years and year after
99-00 - GAA 2.1 Sv % 919
00-01 - 2.57 909

01-02 - 2.11 931 Hart/Vezina
02-03 - 2.9 908

03-04 - 2.27 919
05-06 - 3.46 881

07-08 - 2.44 910
08-09 - 2.87 900

if trend holds true, theo should be in for a big year this year.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

GMGM has a way with words. How can he say he won't be back next year or that he's our #2? Saying want he stated today gives him a "little" leverage on the team he gets traded to. McPhee is not going to say to Team B, do you want a #2 goalie (JT60) to trade for?

Posted by: puckman | May 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

whats the next blockbuster headline?

Semin: Hello

If this happens, I'll laugh so hard I cry.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

When are you going to tell us what's up with Mike Green? Will he need surgery? What's going on with him?

Posted by: teamnewtz | May 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

What player had the most points per minute played in the NHL?

Crosby? NO.
Malkin? NO.
Datysuk? NO.

Oh I know, Ovechkin? NO.

It was Sasha Semin. Semin for all of his many quirks is a offensive juggernaut at 25. I have no idea what some of you people here want but trading the most skilled player on our team because you think he is ___fill in the blank___, is just plain unintelligent.

While we're at it, lets trade Green. Actually, lets trade our team for the Rangers.

Posted by: JSchon | May 15, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

What teams are in need of a veteran goalie?? I don't think trade is gonna happen with Three-or-more.

Posted by: bhound69 | May 15, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Any word of Poti's foot and possibly surgery? Or what the heck happened to Fehr?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Colorado is in desperate need of a veteran and not completely sucktastic goalie!

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

bhound, i doubt anyone would want theo over the summer unless one of their goalies get hurt. i see him as perhaps trade bait during the season as an injury replacement or if someone isnt performing. the guy has had success in this league and did lead the caps to a division title behind a less than stout defense. plus they can ditch him at the end of the season.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

a couple of things posted at the Wash Times that I haven't seen here:

Green is unlikely to need surgery. I major injury is to his AC joint in his shoulder.

Kozlov wishes to remain a Cap 9did you ever think you'd see the day where people didn't want to leave), but won't make any decisions about his future until he talks to his family

"Poti said he hasn't heard from anyone at USA Hockey about being invited to their summer Olympic camp, which will be in Chicago. He hinted that his relationship with the organization is not great (he's not alone in that regard)." Ummmmm, anyone got to scoop on this?!?!

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Redbird,

Didn't he come from Colo???

Posted by: bhound69 | May 15, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

yes :) that's what makes the whole thing so completely, hilariously, not going to happen, but they might actually be that desperate.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 15, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon

re: Semin. right on, bro. Keep the Sash in DC. Could be an MVP if all the pieces fall into place...

Posted by: WritingLight | May 15, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

relax everybody it's contract season! Most guys play at their best when their contract is almost over.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | May 15, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Goalies are the weirdest hockey guys of all. Watch how Bulin plays when he has Huet as his backup, and how he sucked before.

Any competition is good and welcomed.

Another example is Osgood, he was traded by Red Wings, sucked in St. Louis and look at him now!

Never write off a goalie and never assume that if the goalie has talent, he will carry you, just look at Carey Price! Habs could have been much better now if they didn't trade Huet.

So, yeah, Varly is good and talented, but does he has enough guts? Nobody, including Varly, has the answer.

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 15, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Jim Carey & Felix Potvin.

Varly has potential but could also be those guys up top.
So lets wait before we cast aside Theo or Johnny.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 15, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 3:55 PM |

By that logic we should be worried about the 8 in the last crucial games by Varly.
It's all about he understudy for DC fans apparently.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 15, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Srry theo, ur time is up

Posted by: meikesports | May 15, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Varly was okay the first 8 or 9 playoff games, but dropped off after that. But also, his gaa was up but his save % was not so bad, if Caps could have kept Pens to about 20 shots a game maybe things would be different.

Theo could be #1 anyplace but the NHL.

Varly may not be the future either. Maybe it's Michal Neuvirth.

Posted by: zuby09 | May 15, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 3:55 PM |

It's all about he understudy for DC fans apparently.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 15, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

well, i would say that giving up 8 goals in two games to the pens is a little bit more understandable than 4 in one game to the rags. particularly since theo's goals were given up in game 1 of the playoffs and varlys were in his 12th and 13th games in three weeks.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Though at times I have questioned some of GMGM's decisions (signing Nylander or the CAPS love of MO); I think GMGM's initial read on the goaltending situation is correct, let them both battle for the starting job in training camp.

No one can expect a 21 yr old, facing 40 shots a game (where at least 1 in 5 were quality scoring chances coming from the sticks of a highly offensively talented players), where the pressure builds from the previous game to be able to continually "steal" playoff games. There was a reason Varly was able to shut down the Rangers and not the Pens.

Both Varly and Theo should battle it out. The addition of MN in Hershey @ camp will only add more to the mix. My hope is that Johnnie will likewise be there as well.

The CAPS issue is not entirely goaltending, the Pens showed it was our overall team DEFENSE. I love Boudreau's style of play, which is fun to watch during the REGULAR SEASON (82 games, where less a half are against superior opponents (for the CAPS: DET, BOS, PHI, PIT, CAR?), the playoffs are an entirely different matter. Especially in a long series, your opponents makes adjustments to your style of play.

Posted by: cgar_dan | May 16, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Theo is a competitor. I wouldn't want it any other way than to expect him to think he's going to be #1 goalie in camp. Although as of now I'm inclined toward Varly. It took me a while to get that pronunciation right. I don't want to have that go to waste. Keep in mind that Neuvirth pitched two elimination game shutouts this week. That was clutch even if it was only AHL. Hard to see a spot for Brent Johnson.

Posted by: rjma1 | May 16, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

He should have played game 7 against PITT.

You made a bad choice coach.

Always go with the pro in game 7 against Pitt.

Posted by: 1-20-09 | May 18, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse