Theodore: 'It Was Just a Sharp, Sharp Pain'

Jose Theodore did not practice today and won't suit up tomorrow, but the goalie told me moments ago that he hopes to be back on the ice early next week and perhaps suit up for Thursday's game in Atlanta.

Theodore said he first experienced some stiffness/pain in his lower back during warmups prior to last night's game. The pain worsened after he made his first big save, and by the end of the period, it was extremely tough for him to get up and down easily.

Officially diagnosed as back spasms, Theodore said he believes the sciatic nerve in his back is being compressed by inflamed muscles in his lower back.

He told me he had a similar problem two years ago in Colorado -- but on the other side -- and ended missing two starts (a total of about a week).

"I think it was the sciatic nerve that was kind of jammed, so it was just a sharp, sharp pain every time I was going down or pushing out," Theodore said. "I saw there was 10 or 12 minutes left, so I decided not to leave in the middle of the period."

Theodore had been in a groove, so the injury comes at a bad time. But fortunately for him, after tomorrow's game there's a four day break before the Caps play in Atlanta.

In the meantime, the starting job will belong to Semyon Varlamov, who played well in relief of Theodore and is expected to get the nod tomorrow against the Predators. Varlamov is expected to be backed up by Braden Holtby. The 2008 fourth-round pick had been set to begin the season in South Carolina. Instead, it looks like he'll be on the bench at Verizon Center.

In order to make room under the salary cap ceiling for Holtby, the Caps placed Tomas Fleischmann (blood clot in his leg) on LTI, retroactive to the start of the season. That means Fleischmann must miss at least three more games, but that was probably going to happen anyway.

As for Varlamov, he said he's looking forward to getting his first start since a disastrous outing in Philly on Oct. 6. The 21-year-old rookie said taking a week to step back and work with goalie coach Arturs Irbe has gotten his mind -- and confidence -- right again.

"I feel better, it was good for me, my head," said Varlamov, who spoke to me without an interpreter for the first time. "I'm ready for next game."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 16, 2009; 2:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore, Gordon Missing at KCI
Next: Varlamov to Start Tonight

Comments

Varly can handle the Preds.

Posted by: ridgely1 | October 16, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Varly can handle the Preds.

Posted by: ridgely1 | October 16, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: Redwolf1 | October 16, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Varly speaking english?! I love this kid.

Posted by: asdfasdfasdf123 | October 16, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The hockey rumor wire is now burning up with the possibility of trading Nylander to Journey for Jonathan Cain and the drummer's "Foosball" t-shirt from the "Separate Ways" video.

Posted by: TheLeaver | October 16, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Ow, Theo! :-( That doesn't sound like a happy thing at all! :-(

Good on Varlamov for learning English. Hopefully, someone told him we have people who can translate interviews from Russian, even when they're given in Russia, over here, and that he needs to watch what he says about people... it'll get back to us.

Glad they're letting Neuvirth have his Hershey debut as-scheduled, and I wish I could go up to Pitts--er--no, actually, I don't want to go up there to watch. I want to avoid the whole city like the plague it is. But I'm glad they didn't decide to disrupt his debut. If Theo's down longer than he expects, I'd like to see Neuvirth get a start for the Caps, though. That boy is cool as a cucumber!

Posted by: irockthered | October 16, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I've said in previous posts about Green that it appeared to me that he was trying to improve the defensive side of his game--this I thought just by watching the games. Today I read a quote from Green where he made just this point about his play last night:

"Hopefully, he was impressed," Green told the Washington Times when informed it was Lowe's eyes in the sky. "I am trying to play tough defense. I thought (my performance) was good. I'm trying to play solid and a lot less risky, I guess. Obviously it is not as much production, but I'm trying to be better defensively and that's all that matters."

Not that I think many are currently bashing Green, but often in past posts when I have expressed an opinion about Green, usually pretty positive, I get flamed in return--often in a hyper critical fashion. I really enjoyed reading Green himself making this same point.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 16, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Nashville Predators page at the Tennessean...

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 16, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Varly > Semin

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 16, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

so we could have kept bourque :(

Posted by: mkyan978 | October 16, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Haha wow! Check out these stats:

•Washington’s Alex Ovech­kin has 14 points in seven games this sea­son, the same num­ber as all the Pre­da­tors for­wards – com­bi­ned – through six games.

•Ovech­kin pos­ted 13 shots on goal in the Caps’ win over San Jose on Thurs­day, the same num­ber as all the Pre­da­tors com­bi­ned for in their loss to Chicago.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 16, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

First it was Ovechkin's site (alexovechkin8.com) that went dark, now it is Dump 'n Chase.

What is going on, people?

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 16, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

By the end of the season, Varlamov will be tutoring Semin... if Semin wants to be bothered.

Posted by: nicko | October 16, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Semin probably tutored Varly in english and then made Varly swear that he would never tell.

Posted by: _Mark | October 16, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine if Huet/his agent wouldn't have spurned the 3 yr/$5 million offer from the Caps? The travails of Cristobal Huet in Chicago:

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 16, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 16, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

no flaming here but I think its pretty obvious that Green realizes that Kevin Lowe is more impressed with a defenseman who plays DEFENSE as opposed to a high stakes gambler who plays a reckless style. Its no coincidence that Green got caught way deep in the zone against the Devils just one game ago. But he played a very safe unGreen-like game against the Sharks when Kevin Lowe is in the stands. For those who weren't around to watch Lowe in his prime, he was definitely a defensive defenseman. So all this proves to me is, Green plays for his audience. He wants to get picked for the Canadian team so he decides to play a safer defensive game in front of the guy whose job it is to pick the players.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 16, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

1) I find it strange if Green is really changing his style, to suit an audience, w/o permission from his coach. If I'm BB, I go to Green and say I want to be in on the decision.

2) It really tears me up inside to read that the Hawks are suffering because of their decision to sign Huet.

2A) I guess GM made the right call on that one.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 16, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Theo: Don't the Caps have a team chiropractor?

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | October 16, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:
in hindsight GMGM made the wrong call w/huet - i'm now glad he decided to leave
if lowe being in attendance makes green a better dman - ted should get him season tickets - maybe find some olympic russian and swedish coaches too

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 16, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

hear hear- lowe needs to be in attendance EVERY game if it'll make Green pay more attention to his side of the ice.
As to BB being in on the decision, I wonder how it works that having Kevin Lowe attend one game seems to register something in Greenie that never has registered so far under his own coach.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 16, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@newbiecapsfan07 from last thread.

Growing up I saw the boom of youth hockey in the Northern Virginia area. When I started Mt. Vernon, Fairfax, Ft. Dupont, and Tucker Road were the only rinks in the area. I started playing for NoVa because that was the only team at the time and there were many different levels. Each level of travel had at least two teams and they had lower, middle, and upper house that had at least 4 or 5 teams all just from NoVa (which was the Vikings at the time). There was so much demand that there were many players that had to be turned away even from the house level due to lack of ice time. Then Reston came to be and started a team and took alot of the players from the area away from NoVa. Same thing with PW, Ashburn, and the others. When I left NoVa four years ago there wasn't much of a program left. I think there was something like 8 teams in the whole organization. Hockey as a whole has grown but with all of the new rinks having their own clubs some of the individual clubs have suffered.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 16, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | October 16, 2009 3:02 PM
-----------------------
@irockthered:
While I totally understand your disdain of Pittsburgh, I'm not sure what it has to do with Neuvy's debut. The Bears are in Glens Falls NY tonight playing the Phantoms (Baby Flyers).

Re: Theo's injury...As someone who has dealt with sciatic nerve issues for years, I sympathize. A chiropractor never was much help to me. Just rest, a heating pad, and Tylenol.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 16, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

being one that has a pinched sciatic nerve,let me tell you,it does not feel good:( I hope theo works it out cause its painfull sometimes doesnt go away for a long time.I've been suffering for 2 yrs now and its not fun.but with the right theropy i hope he works it out.though i also hope neuvy comes in and takes the #1 spot! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | October 16, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

How long until Nylander is diagnosed with AHSS (Acute Healthy Scratch Syndrome) and gets put on LTIR?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 16, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1--You misunderstood my point. I said in earlier posts regarding earlier games--NOT last night's game--that I thought Green was trying to strengthen that aspect of his game. I meant from the beginning of the season. And more effectively in some games than others. Green's quote was not just about his play last night but what he has been trying to do this season. I appreciate that you are not flaming me and I know you are not a fan of Green (or that is how it seems to me from your posts). Personally I say give the guy a chance. As far as I understand the defensive side of the game does take longer to develop and he is young.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 16, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Theo's injury sounds more like a herniated or bulging disc. Either way, it is not good but manageable. If my memory is correct, Fehr herniated his disc 2 seasons ago.

Posted by: puckman | October 16, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 and Capt_Kirk_in_AZ--see my response to cstanton1. I was talking about the season not last night. And I'm quite sure Green is doing what BB has been nagging him to do. Can we all just be happy that he wants and is trying to be a stronger and more consistent on the defense side of his game.

@icehammer97--one of my son's coaches grew up in this area and was an ice dog when he was a kid. He said that they had enough house teams that they could just play each other. That sounds just like your experience. Now of course the various organizations in the area play each other. But the number of interested kids in hockey is great. Best way to develop a fan is to have them interested when they are young. The coaches are just so incredibly dedicated--and so clearly love the sport.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 16, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1
Last nights game, Greene was caught at least two times that I saw behind the goal line on offense and had to really hot foot it out to back check and get back on defense, not sure he was playing a defensive defensemen that much. just my opinion.

Posted by: billd2 | October 16, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Posted by: billd2 | October 16, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

oh im sure, habits are hard to break overnight. Point is, at least he's THINKING more about playing it a bit safer on the defensive end. I don't think I've seen a game yet where Green isn't caught up ice at least once. I'll be happy if he ratchets it back, I don't expect him to ever totally think defense first and with the right partner and support he may not have to. But he definitely plays the game like a closet forward.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 16, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07

The only thing I'll say in response to this is that Green's defensive game hasn't been steadily improving since he came into the league. He actually was playing pretty decent defense for a while and then he found his offensive game and let his defense totally slide off radar. So this isn't a case of a young kid trying to find his defensive game. Its more a case of a kid who gave up his defensive game to play strictly an offensive one. And you know, thats what the focus of this org has been for a long time so its hard to put the blame on him 100%. The direction of this team has been geared towards more skill more goals, and lip svc has been paid to defense. Green's just following suit.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 16, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

If you watch the video on Caps/NHL website about the season-ticket holder event at 6Flags, Semin clearly speaks English.

About 2 minutes in......

Posted by: marksman37 | October 16, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@newbiecapsfan07 who was the coach?

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 16, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

newbiecapsfan07:
i did miss your point about green's d for the whole season - could explain the reduced amount of offense from him this year

cstanton1:
i agree with your whole post about green - especially if when you say - "gave up his defensive game" - mean he actually got a little worst.
if 18 goals got him 5M+ a year - i'm glad he didn't get his 31 then or he'd have asked for ovi money.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 16, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I like to see the Russians making the effort to learn English.

Posted by: NatyBG | October 16, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Semin and his reluctance to speak English to the media, I think he's just extremely self-conscious about making mistakes. I've lived for a year or so in both Germany and Venezuela, and although I could read German and Spanish and understand most of what I heard on TV or had said to me, I never got comfortable with making conversation with native speakers--I just froze up. It was unbelievably frustrating to be asked a question, understand it perfectly, answer it in English in my head right away but be unable to get enough German or Spanish words out to give a decent answer.

Sorry to be long-winded, but I've been thinking about this for a while. Be patient--he's making progress.

Posted by: wocoliz | October 16, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying the entire time we were far better off with Theo at 2 years and $9 mil than Huet at 3 for $15 or 4 for $20+. The deal length we got is perfect with Theo coming off the books just in time to free up money for Backstrom/Semin. If we could somehow move Nylander it really opens up our options over the summer AND at the trade deadline.

For all the moans over GMGM, getting Morrison and Knuble for the price he did was quietly well done.

@cstanton I'm hoping Green is trying to find a balance in what he is doing. I don't mind him getting caught up ice trying to make a play or joining a rush as long as the last forward back is intelligent enough to recognize this and understand they need to drop in and cover that spot. He'd probably have another goal or 2 on the PP we've just missed some setups and teams have been looking for that backdoor pass a lot more.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | October 16, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Dump Green and Semin. Green doesn't have a defensive bone is his body and Semin is completely uncoachable. Green needs to go back to basics and Semin needs a bit of humility, which he'll probably never get because unfortunately, he is so skilled.

Posted by: ejohnsto | October 16, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

ejohnsto
now that's funny

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 16, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

newbiecapsfan: I'm certainly not disagreeing with you. First, someone posted last year that's Green's goals allowed while on ice (roughly 2.15 last year) while at ES was almost identical to Chara and Lidstrom; meanwhile, Green's goals scored was much higher.

Naturally this is a team statistic but measured for each player.

My point: Green gets a really bum rap from many. And very much undeserved. It's like with Semin. Had a really nice +/_ last year but they only see the giveaways. They don't see the takeaways. I'm beginning to fear that Green and Semin could get "Larry Murpheyed" out of DC. Well, not from me. Sure, I'd trade Semin or Green - either one, for Phaneuf. That's about it.

Humphrey Bogart: "So, tominfl1, you're ready to trade them."
Me: "Sure, and I have my list."
Bogie takes the list from me and scans it. He smiles. "That's a mighty short list, Kiddo."
Me: "Yeah, well they're mighty good players."

I remain in respectful disagreement with anyone who would even think to trade either player. Unless you get a bundle. Green isn't far from Paul Coffey and Semin isn't far from Jari Kurri. We won't know until it's over. I'll be here in 15 yrs to see.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 16, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

If that was a direct quote from Varly, his English might be better than Ovi's!

I don't know where this garbage is coming from that Green can't play D, he is at often times our best guy out there. The thing people focus on is his defensive let downs because he was trying to keep up with the rush, but he's gotten a lot better at joining the rush without compromising his play.

Semin isn't uncoachable, he plays Boudrea's system just fine, he's incapable of being disciplined. And by that I mean his penalties.

Posted by: breaklance | October 16, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

well who really cares if Semin speaks to the media in english, russian or chinese or if he speaks to them at all? why does anyone even care?? they get paid to play, not talk. it's not like in nascar where the drivers have to talk and be engaging to keep the sponsors and fans happy so they can race. maybe Semin is just a shy guy, I don't really care as long as they can play.

just saw the Thrashers score a late shortie against the Devils to clinch the win.. they won 4-2. it's one rather glaring weakness I've noticed about the Caps.. their inablity to score short-handed goals. For a team known mostly for their offensive prowess, they seldom get scoring chances while short-handed. Great offensive teams in the NHL that I've seen over the years have always had the ability to score while down a man or even two. Their whole approach to the PK is too passive.

Posted by: joek443 | October 16, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I get that paranoid as well (on driving Semin and/or Green out of Washington a la Murphy.)

Okay, neither of them are perfect but they're better than most people out there. (I would even think twice about trading either of them for Phaneuf.)

It seems that Semin has almost no margin for error. He was actually off to a good start this year. 5 goals in the first 5 games. (Yes, that has been lost with all the criticism). Then, a game with 2 penalties. And, after that, the Devils game where his line was -2. (He had one mistake in there but both goals against were not necessarily his fault.)

And then he scored on the power play yesterday. So, we're talking 6 goals in 7 games. He's at last year's pace after 7 games. This the same guy who several posters here (and even some Caps bloggers) are trying to run out of town.

No, he is not uncoachable or incapable of being disciplined. Yes, he does have those lapses and they can be infuriating.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 16, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

to all the Green bashers, you need to look at number 8 in white... a year later he was traded by the Caps mostly due to all the hackling by the so called fans

the Canada cup in those days was like the world cup in soccer and he was one of the best defensemen of Team Canada in the tournament. Whenever I see Green play, he reminds me of Larry Murphy. so be careful what you wish for when you bash Green unfairly.

Posted by: joek443 | October 16, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

It seems that things worked out better for us with Huet leaving us for Chicago.

Seems that he's really struggled since then. If we had gotten him, we'd be thinking of still another "albatross" contract being as he would have signed for 3 years.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 16, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201 - Chalk it up to a headache all day. Misread the calendar. :-(

Posted by: irockthered | October 16, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Well spoken on Green.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 16, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:
with phaneuf at 6.5M - i'm not sure i'd take that for either semin or green
i also think semin is the most talented individual on the team - sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad. i happen to believe he provides more good. it's a joy to watch him handle/control the puck. if he had either ovi's physical presence or ovi's will to be the best - when we heard the name alexander - we'd all think semin first

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 16, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Poor Theodore. Hope the off days next week give him a chance to rest up and recover.

Good luck to Varly. May we see a good game and the kid starts getting his confidence back. (Periods 2 & 3 against the Sharks were a good start in that department.) He was working really hard in making saves with the glove hand during Monday's practice.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 16, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Where's Rachel? Her boy (Neuvirth) is back at goal in Hershey. Played good. Unfortunately, the offense in Hershey seems to be on hiatus, as they lost 2-1.

Song time:

"Where has all the offense gone? Long time passing. Where has all the offense gone? Long long time ago...."

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 16, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Joek-- sorry, no comparison between Larry Murphy and Mike Green. I have no idea where you got that from. Two totally different styles. Just because both are offensive defensemen does not mean they are similar players at all. Green rushes the puck up ice, Murphy never rushed the puck. He didn't have the moves or the stickhandling. He had vision and he was a smart player and he never got caught deep because he never WAS deep. He stayed up high.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 17, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Davethecapsfan

The problem is, its not a matter of intelligence on the part of the last forward. A lot of times Green pinches in deep without any warning, so no one really has the opportunity to hang back and cover him. Or he'll turn the puck over on a rush and again, no opportunity for someone to simply hang back. His defensive partner is usually the only one back there having to deal with an oddman rush. He just has to be more responsible about when to go, and when to play it a littler safer, and he can afford to skate a bit harder as well. To me anyway he looks a little lackadaisical chasing a player he just coughed up the puck too.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 17, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

for those interested, Caps prospect v Flyer prospect. Della Rovere v Zac Rinaldo. Both very similar players who play similar roles for their teams. Rinaldo is one of Dale Hunter's favorites and hate to say it, but he looks like a stronger tougher meaner better version of Daniel Carcillo. He's incredibly strong for his size and he's starting to find a scoring touch ala SDR.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 17, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Green isn't far from Paul Coffey and Semin isn't far from Jari Kurri

------------------------------------------

Its funny. Sometimes fans want to say the game has changed so much that its no use comparing today's hockey to the 1980s. And then when its convenient, comparisons get drawn.

The only reason Paul Coffey was so successful was his defensive flaws were masked by an extremely capable Oilers defense. The worst defenseman on that team was probably better than our best defenseman. When you have guys like Lowe, Muni, Steve Smith etc, you can afford to turn a Paul Coffey loose. If Mike Green had 4 top notch defensemen to play on this roster, then he probably doesn't have to change his style that much. But because we don't have that calibre of defense, it makes little sense to turn that guy loose without some repercussions. He's not protected on this roster the way a Coffey was in Edm.

Kurri played on a team full of power forwards except for Gretzky. Guys like Messier and company gave him and Gretz a lot of room out there to do their thing. He also didn't take a ton of minor penalties. I mean, has anyone taken more minor penalties than Semin over the past 3 yrs? For a guy who doesn't play a lot of physical hockey, he's racked up 220+ PIMs in 3 seasons. That's an awful lot. If I got a player racking up those kinds of PIMs, it better be a product of some hyper-aggression and strong role play.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 17, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Look for the ice to be kind of crappy tonight. I went to the AC/DC concert last night and the ice will probably be soft and poopy.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | October 17, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

minus his bongo fight and game misconduct - he is still at 205+. i can't think of any other major penalties he's taken. it was surprising to see that ovi has 160+ pims over the same time period. i can't recall ovi getting any majors either - so that's only about 22/23 minors more over three years. ovi has played more games but that is still only 7/8 minors more per year. it would be interesting to know who draws more penalties.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 17, 2009 2:16 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan75

are you as tired as i am of these self-proclaimed hockey experts always calling for semin to be traded? i think it's time they put on the board exactly what it is they really don't like about the man. did he cut them off in traffic? did he tee-pee their trees? did he date their daughters and break their hearts? did he take the last slurp of milk from the fridge and put the empty container back? what did semin DO to these guys?????

that young man could score more goals that ovie, get more assists than backy, and find a cure for cancer, all in the same season, and they still would want to trade him. :)

oh what evil must lurk behind the helmet of 28 that they dislike him soooooo?
(heavy on the sarcasm there)

Posted by: hellesbaine | October 17, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 17, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Mike Green is NOT a rushing d-man in the mold of Coffey, Bourque, Chelios in his prime or Bobby Orr. He simply doesn't have that kinda speed. he should be a Larry Murphy type... about the same size and speed. it's true Murphy seldom went deep in the zone like Green does but then again the Caps in those days were always a defense first team.

Murphy getting 70 to 80 points/year in those years to me is about the same level as getting 100 points if he were on a more offensive minded team. his play in the 87 Canada Cup showed the hockey world how good he really was.

Posted by: joek443 | October 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

So, just thinking.. Nabby in DC next year - is it anyhow needed? I would think he will gladly play in 1) contender 2) same team with Alexes and Varly for some moderated price.

I believe it is possible. He just needs to give more icetime for the 2nd goalie. Would he like that? And less dollars also.. But as far as I'm concerned Nabby will value SC more than some 2M of additional salary.

Posted by: Rambutan_ru | October 17, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

soooo, like mkyan978 said...

if Flash would have just been put in LTIR, we could have had Bourque this whole time?

That's really kind of frustrating... we lost a good prospect because of an iffy situation with Flash...

Frank

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 17, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Frank, Chris bourque? As in the guy who still has 1 more goal and point in the NHL than me?

The rules are pretty tough on ltir to avoid stashing guys there. At the time it was expected that flash would be cleared to play much sooner. Oh well.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 17, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse