Theodore Makes KCI Debut (Updated)

Okay, I know this isn't exactly breaking news, but I thought many of you would be interested to know that Jose Theodore is on the ice right now taking part in his first informal practice of the summer at KCI.

Except for a practice here as a member of the Avs last season, this is Theodore's first time on the "Capitals" rink. Theodore and Brent Johnson are splitting time at one end of the ice, taking shots from Boyd Gordon, Chevy Chase native Stephen Werner, Florida forward David Booth and some guy who looks like David Booth (who came out last summer).

So to recap, that would be two goalies, from the same team, on the ice in mid-August. That's not something you see very often.

And in case you are wondering, Theodore's Washington gear hasn't arrived yet, so he's still wearing his Colorado mask and pads. I hope to talk to him for a few minutes when he comes off.

Update: Theodore said he sold his house in Colorado and moved into his new place here on Aug. 10, and has been in town ever since.

"I wanted to come mid-August, get here early," he said. "It's a new city so I got to learn the places and meet some of the guys. When I heard ice was available, I wanted to come out."

"I always start early," he added. "As a goalie, it's good to go to the gym, but it's a technical position. You can be in the best shape of your life in the gym, but the other part of your preparation has to come on the ice."

Theodore said he plans to skate almost daily at KCI from here on out.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 19, 2008; 12:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching Up With Brent Johnson; Nylander Update
Next: Catching Up With GM George McPhee

Comments

Wow!

Maybe the Caps finally have a situation where they can TRUELY rotate the 2 goaltenders, until the playoffs roll around. Maybe even then also.

Tarik, is David Booth a native of the area?
What is he doing up here? (c:

Posted by: CantMissKid | August 19, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

wow..I can feel the excitment from the players already. They cannot wait to get things rolling either.....awesume news. I think we are gonna see big things from Jose and Brent this year.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | August 19, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Great to hear the players are starting to trickle in. Tarik any word as to when AO is due back in town?

Posted by: usiel | August 19, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Booth (and I'm 99-percent sure of this) is friends with Werner from their days in the US developmental program.

Posted by: Tarik | August 19, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Any idea where Werner will be playing this coming season?

Posted by: bears fan | August 19, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

What brings Booth up here?

Posted by: Jake | August 19, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I had 3 weeks off and now that I'm back to work the players start showing up. Sheesh - lousy timing. Next time I quit a job I'll do it during the season. :-)

Thanks for the report, Tarik! Only a few weeks to go...

Posted by: Jill | August 19, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Jill, wait for the playoff and sing "Take this job..."

Posted by: TheCapitallist | August 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I would love to have booth on this team. He's a real solid player. Looks like he would be a good playoff performer (when he gets the chance).

Posted by: O-V-P | August 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to find out how BJ and JT get along a few weeks into the season. . .

Posted by: WhooHoo | August 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@Capitalist - I'll be needing the money for 4 rounds of playoff tickets. ;-)

Posted by: Jill | August 19, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Nothing agaisnt Werner, but I would bet he ends up in Europe.

Posted by: old time hockey | August 19, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

You sneaky guy. We all thought booth wanted to be a cap so badly ;)

Posted by: O-V-P | August 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I was ready to start the Nylander to florida for booth rumors

Posted by: O-V-P | August 19, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The only reason we would "rotate 2 goalies" is if JT plays like crap. BJ is what he is a reasonable cheap backup who can come in if there is an injury or a bad night and spell JT once in a while when we play Atlanta or the Isles. I like BJ always have and hoped he would get back to #1 someday, but that is not in the cards. As for his little speech about him and Olie, all BJ had to do was string a few shut outs and big wins together in the last couple of years and he would not have been sitting on the bench. He didn't, so he sat. With luck he will sit a lot this year.

Posted by: Bob | August 19, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Huet>Theodore

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | August 19, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

There is no evidence to even suggest that Huet is better than JT. However there is plenty of evidence to suggest that JT is better than Price. Enjoy watching other teams in the playoffs loser.

Posted by: Bob | August 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

sabres

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | August 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

that should have said

sabres

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | August 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

what gives? ok, one more time

sabres (less than sign) playoffs

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | August 19, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Huet

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Huet

not sure what that cut off the first time

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

*SIGH*

Huet (less than sign) 5.625 million dollars

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

haha Cap Fan 1 is having the same issue I was having

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Huet

Posted by: captnclark | August 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

?

Posted by: captnclark | August 19, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Lets contract the sabres or relegate the team to the ahl. minor league city = minor league team.

I mean they already act like the farm team for the rest of the nhl.

I went to the caps flyers regular season game in philly and they were making fun of the sabres being their farm team. Poor sabres fan is crying about his sad life and need to get on a caps board for attention.

Poor lindy ruff, good coach and his career is wasted by just developing all these players for the rest of the league

Posted by: O-V-P | August 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I am glad that Johnson wants to fight for the ice time. Theodore needs the challenge/competition or Caps are screwed.

Posted by: King | August 19, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@ SabresfaninDC

How many players have the Sabres given away because they don't want to pay??
Oh yeah I guess we won't see you in the playoffs...Maybe in a few years when Miller is tired of losing he'll ask for a trade to DC

Posted by: capsgary | August 19, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

looks like Chief is trolling with a new moniker...it's OK, Chief, we still love ya (not)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Great to see that Jose is here and seeing the value of getting settled in a new place.

This is one of those times when being at Kettler is huge for the players. If he was out in Olney or Ashburn, you can forget about it. He would be demanding a trade.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 19, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

What time do these guys usually practice at? I work close by, and would love to drop in.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 19, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: NObama | August 19, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see BJ and JT on the ice battling it out for playing time...our Roster even on Defense is deep and people will be challenging for playing time all year...Could we see BJ play 30-40games??? I doubt it but I think BB and GMGM will have to go with the hot hand...winning is everything, doesn't matter who it is as long as they are a cap!

Posted by: mike b | August 19, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Jose won't wear himself out before the season starts. Good to hear that he's eager to be here.

Posted by: EricS | August 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

WHERE IS NICKY????

He should be in the swimming pool with Phelps 5 hours a day until Sept 14th.

Posted by: Where's little Nick? | August 19, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town,

The past two days the players have skated at 12:30. I'm assuming that will not change. Remember, though, this is very informal. Players can, and do, call off these skates at the last minute.

Posted by: Tarik | August 19, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Less than sign test: <
Greater than sign test: >

Posted by: anon | August 19, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

So if you put a ";" in front of "lt;" you'll get a <. And if you put a ";" in front of "gt;" you'll get a >.

When typing < in on its own, you're effectively opening an HTML tag and it will hide everything that comes after it.

Posted by: anon | August 19, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

"Nicky" is wiped out from helping me move into my new house and won't be seen until he gets that baby grand upstairs into the loft, by himself. You Caps Fans can thank me come playoff time when "Nicky" can eat glass.

Nyls

Posted by: BernieWolfFan | August 19, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

It's so great to see the guys are giving it their all already. Here's to a great season --bring it on!

Posted by: capsf4n | August 19, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Oops. You need to put an ampersand "&" in front of the "lt;" or "gt;" - not a ";".

Sorry.

Posted by: anon | August 19, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

No worries...It's a quick walk and a cup of coffee for me to get to Kettler...If they arent there..I will buy the Washington Times..j/k

Posted by: SA-Town | August 19, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

For all of you wondering where Nick is, here is the answer..
He is still in his hometown Gavle in Sweden and practicing with his old SEL team Brynäs IF. He hasn't announced when he will return to Washington but I am keeping an eye out on any local news about him and will keep you all updated..

Posted by: Gavlegirl | August 19, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I was at Kettler again today, and what struck me was how well Theodore and Johnson were getting along. Theodore was showing Johnson some moves and Johnson was listening pretty intently from what I could tell. I was more impressed with Johnson's performance yesterday then I was with either goalie's performance today, but I'm not going to make any judgments what so ever on how a goalie performs weeks before training camp facing shots from Boyd Gordon, some minor leaguers (I think), and a few Kettler employees. I also noticed that Gordon no longer has that "just back gotta do some crazy stuff to show off to myself" mentality that everyone gets when they get back on the ice for the first time in awhile (or maybe he never had it not like I know the guy), but the guy I saw today was calm, driven, intent on working on little things, and really focussed. I'm very hopeful for him and it looks like he's going make it very tough to bench him.

Posted by: DC FURY | August 19, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Gavlegirl. I hope he's been keeping himself in better shape than some blogs had feared haha.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 20, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | August 20, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I am the "Eager Beaver"

Posted by: Josie can U C | August 20, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

@ uncatim,

Seems more like a list of the top players (except lidstrom is low probably due to age)

Gee i wonder who they will put first. Everyone take a wild guess (and keep in mind this is (TSN, canada's homer)

Posted by: O-V-P | August 20, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Ted has this on his blog, but Bodog has the Caps at 15:1 to win the Cup. Puts us in their top ten.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | August 20, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

When are we going to get the fantasy league going? Who was going to be the master of that?

Posted by: Jordan | August 20, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Showing him moves"? Like they were dancing? Like DC is a good place to pick up moves?

Posted by: Bob | August 20, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

...heelwork.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

jazz hands...anything with jazz hands.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Fantasy hockey...

12 participants

3 divisions

5 forwards
4 defensemen
2 goalies
3 bench

rotisserie

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

i meant head to head

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,

Have we picked a site to track the league, or are you going to take it on yourself again?

Posted by: Jordan | August 20, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I havent looked into anything yet...

but cbs sportsline is free and complete... someone did say they wanted to handle it in here... not sure who?

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

JSchon

Fantasy Hockey

You need any more participants?

Posted by: Yosh | August 20, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

you're in Yosh... book it

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

We should get Tarik to participate... c'mon TEB... you want in...

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,

can I play?

Posted by: fullright | August 20, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

but of course... fullright in

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm totally in, just so there's no confusion.

Posted by: Jordan | August 20, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Can you skate?ever been on the ice with the caps?

Posted by: Capsfan98 | August 20, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

CBS Sportsline allow for up to 30 participants and 6 division... what are the drawbacks to having more than 12 teams?

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I'd be in for a fantasy league if there is room.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 20, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The draft would take a million years and our teams would be all thin and non-exciting.

Posted by: Jordan | August 20, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd go as many as 15, but no more... Sombrero... you're in..

JSchon
Jordan
Sombrero
Yosh
Fullright

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Im holding a spot for 828

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

In unrelated CAPS new, the pens have started the construction of there new ice "igloo". I am going to bury an old Bobby Gould Jersey in the middle of the arena....for old time sake. How many of you remeber Bobby Gould's one punch Knock out of Mario a few years ago? I am sure Mario still remembers it!

Posted by: Gould is Back | August 20, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@Gould,

Oh yeah, of course! Do you or anyone else know where it can be seen again??? I keep looking on youtube etc but to no avail. Is it on any available cds or tapes? If so, wrap it up I'll take it.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | August 20, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I was there & it was the greatest moment in my following hockey---for 58 years. I could actually see Mario's knees buckle & eyes shut as he slid down the wall. Now we need a repeat performance on cindy.

Posted by: sidehillman | August 20, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

For a few years after that, the telascreen at the Cap Center would have that clip on there hi-light reel, before games/intermission....it was soooo awesume! There is a Youtube video, but its not a really good piece on the Gould/Mario fight (it is in the back ground) I'll try to find it. I don't think Mario ever droped the gloves after that.....

Posted by: Gould is Back | August 20, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Its not the best view....but you can see it in the back ground....

Gould vs. Mario

Posted by: Found it | August 20, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon - I know I haven't posted on a regular basis since the playoffs, but I'd like to join the fantasy league if there is any more room. I have no idea what I'm doing (re:fantasy hockey), but I'll be sure to muster up some good sh!t talking (even with a last place team).

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 20, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Re: the youtube about Gould going after original crier

I love that smokin' Al Koken calling the crier out. 'Turtle up' HAHAHAHAHA.

I $#@!@#$#@$%@$#%$&^$#%&*@$%# hate those schmucks

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 20, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say Fantasy League?!?

Posted by: Boo! | August 20, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

JSchon- can I have in on this fantasy league too

Posted by: honed | August 20, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Fantasy?

Why doesnt someone start taking straight wagers up in this blog? NHL Lines, and over unders...Exotics as well

Posted by: Rick Tocchet | August 20, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Added...

Honed, Go Skins Go and Boo!?

Am I correct Boo? You're in or were you just wanting to goof on the word fantasy?

JSchon
Jordan
Sombrero
Yosh
Fullright
Go Skins Go
Honed
828

and maybe

Boo!

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I have created a league on cbs sportsline called "WaPo Capitals Circus". I suggest that since we have a crap load of time before the start of the season, we should conduct a live draft at Bugsys in old town.

Posted by: JSchon | August 20, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Jschon - I have been in leagues with 12, but you want to keep an even number if you're doing a weekly head to head matchup. If you get an odd number, someone ends up with a bye week and that's a boring week

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 20, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero:
I think you just kicked me to the curb! ;-) Not to worry - knowing how much time you guys put into the last one, I am not sure that I could be a reliable participant. I may be stuck doing the color commentary again. (And no, JSchon, I was not just goofin' ... :-P)

Posted by: Boo! | August 20, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

As much as I'd like to jump into the mix, I'd best pass on the WaPo league. I'm thinking that there might be a wee bit of time going into it.

Posted by: Steve R | August 20, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Does Bugsy's have Wi-Fi?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 20, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Boo!

We could go with 14 teams, that would still keep it even!

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 20, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll play

Posted by: MNMNT | August 20, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

JMUCapsgirl would probably want in. She played in the Worlds fantasy league back in April and May.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 20, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,

JMU will probably stick with her guns and go with the all-Russian team.

Posted by: Steve R | August 20, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

To the person who asked if I can skate, the answer is yes. I grew up playing hockey (though not very well). I actually played against Skins beat writer Jason LaCanfora in a championship game as a high schooler.

As for the fantasy league, that sounds like a great idea. But unfortunately, i can't join in. If I join another fantasy league (in any sport), my head will explode.

Posted by: Tarik | August 20, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

@Gould et al,

Yeah diddy, hahahahahaha!!!!
Knee Nothin'! Mario was puh-mulled. Didn't Gould play for Pitt a few years later? Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | August 20, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

That almost makes me want to get a Gould jersey.

Posted by: markfromparkville | August 20, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Haha, an all-Russian team and still lost...
Thanks for the nod, guys, but this year is going to kick my butt as it is. I'm in the middle of switching jobs and my major requires tons of class projects senior year. I'll be lucky to catch a game a week this coming season. I plan on reading the board as much as possible and will be expecting weekly updates!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | August 20, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

"The Capitals are pleased to announce the 2008- 09 Season Ticket Holder Gift. This season's gift commemorates Alex Ovechkin's record-breaking MVP season and features an authentic piece of the net from the night when Alex scored his 65th goal of the season. As a season ticket holder, we appreciate your commitment to our team and organization, and hope that this season's gift will be proudly displayed in your home or office. Gift dimensions are 15 1/12" x 12 3/4"

Pretty cool looking. It has a photo of Ovechkin with his 4 trophies, a smaller action photo, the piece of the net and something that looks like a plaque IDing the piece of the net as authentic, and everything is seperately matted. I'm excited.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 20, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - As a reporter you should know better than to leave your readers hanging without finishing the story (unless this is a 2-part series?).

So who won...J La's team or yours???

Posted by: Jill | August 20, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

A live draft could be fun. I only wonder if we could wrangle everybody, though..

Christ, I better start making lists.

Posted by: Jordan | August 20, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Were you in net? What position did/does Jasno play?

Posted by: fullright | August 20, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Jordan - Yahoo pre ranks all the players, but then you can go in and edit their rankings with your own if you want. That's what I usualy do. Its not as hard as you might think

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Short but pretty cool interview over at Japer's Rink with Backstrom

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Short but pretty cool interview over at Japer's Rink with Backstrom

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | August 21, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | August 21, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Time requirements for the actual season is very little. Head to head league means you only have to fiddle with your team once a week for the entire season.

The real commitment comes with the draft. 12 to 15 participants drafting 15 players will take several hours. Thats why a live draft at a restaurant/bar makes it easier to palette.

The season starts Oct 4th, thats a Saturday. We should hold the draft on the last Friday/Saturday/Sunday in September.

Posted by: JSchon | August 21, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Short but pretty cool interview over at Japer's Rink with Backstrom

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | August 21, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

I cant believe TSN put Ovechkin first on that list. I thought for sure they would put Cindy in first.

Posted by: Tim | August 21, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Tim:

I was wondering what they would do at #1. TSN keeps credibility with me for getting it right.

Posted by: uncatim | August 21, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Incase you STH's hadn't checked your e-mail (and to give more people incentive to purchase tickets this/next year), they have announced the STH Gift already for this season, and I must say I think it's one of the coolest things I've heard of...ever.

It's a piece of the net that Ovie scored his 65th on! 15" x 12" display. Now, I have no idea how they can split up the net amongst 6k+ ticket accounts, but hot damn I'm gonna love this little 1" piece of net!

Posted by: FFS Enough | August 21, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I still have my STH gift from the Capitals first season:

A puck with the Caps' logo in orange, with "Charter Member Season Subscriber 1974-75" (also orange) surrounding the logo.

The reverse side of the puck is blank.

Always thought it was pretty cheesy that Abe didn't at least print the logo in team colors.

Posted by: Joe B | August 21, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@FFS Enough - the net is pretty big to start with and the piece is pretty small, it looks like about a one inch long piece.

I wonder if this is a trend that will persist, last year's gift was also a small/medium sized framed thing too. I see my basement lounge in a few years covered in framed Caps dealies and can already see my friend's eye rolls. Of course that won't keep next year's STH gift from getting a spot too!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | August 21, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I would rather have his missing tooth

Posted by: Not interested in the piece of net | August 21, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Is that gift for full season ticket holders only?

Posted by: Tim | August 21, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@ Tim - Yes its only for Full STH. Its one of there 'incentives' they give out random gifts. Last year was a mini framed autographed jersey from Backstrom.

@Jschon - did you create the league yet or will that happen in a few weeks?

A live draft could work, but to figure out times, online may be the way to go.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 21, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, exploding heads are pretty cool...

MNMNT, you are in.

We have a long way to go before the season starts... almost 50 days...

Lets get 12 to 15 people that can commit to a year long league.

JSchon
828
Sombrero Guy
Honed
Jordan
Fullright
Yosh
MNMNT
Go Skins Go

As for the live draft, not everyone has to be present for it, but if we have half of us there its still pretty fun.

Posted by: JSchon | August 21, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Bummer that its only for full STH's. I could only afford the pick 11 this year :(

About the league, if you need an extra person then I would be willing to play. I probably couldn't make a live draft though.

Posted by: Tim | August 21, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

A piece of net ??
Talk about a joke.

At least with a puck you can give it to your kids to use or your dog, but a piece of net ?
Wait, how about a piece of lint from OV's jock. I'm sure some of you would like that.

Posted by: Chief | August 21, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey JSchon,
do you or anyone else have an email i can send a note to?

Posted by: MNMNT | August 21, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

send a note to:

corridormg@gmail.com

Posted by: JSchon | August 21, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@ Chief
If you are giving something authentic, the net is the logical choice. I am sure OV wanted to puck for obvious reasons, if not, it would have been more difficult to cut up the biscuit among the season ticket holders.If I were a season ticket holder, I'd love to have a piece of the twine that marked the plateau.

Posted by: Puck you | August 21, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

JSchon-I'd like to get in to your league, so I can sh!t all over that, too

Posted by: Chief | August 21, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The Penguins are giving away part-time jobs, bars of soap, and free haircuts to their season ticket holders.

Posted by: The smart people from Pittsburgh have left already | August 21, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Chief... Seats taken.

Posted by: JSchon | August 21, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@ Chief
You go get you some of that soap...stay as long as you like too!

Posted by: its all you | August 21, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

CapsCorndog would like to see his name on that list. He would also like a thai iced tea. Make it happen commenters!

Posted by: CapsCorndog | August 21, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

To clarify, the list I mentioned was the fantasy hockey one. I am not quite skilled enough to make the TSN top 25. Though close. Perhaps top 26.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | August 21, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The Pittsburgh Penguins are giving all season ticket holders one bowl of gruel as a STH gift.

Posted by: Oliver Twist | August 21, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Chief - it's not just a piece of nylon in the mail. It's a piece of the net in a frame with matted photos of Ovechkin with his 4 trophies, and an action photo as well.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

My experience with live internet based drafts has been about 2 hours for leagues with 12 teams. They limit the amount of time you have to make your pick to 1 minute or 90 seconds, but the clock doesn't start until the person in front of you makes their selection, so it helps to have plans A B and C ready in the moments leading up to your pick.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Capscorndog in...

My buddy Tom (STH) is in.

That makes 11

JSchon
Jordan
Honed
Sombrero
Fullright
Go Skins Go
828
MNMNT
Capscorndog
Yosh
TomFunLee

Lets shoot for 15.

Posted by: JSchon | August 21, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The Penguins just announced all STH will get a free sniff of the jock strap that Marian Hossa left behind.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Good for Ben Boudreau! Was he the son that hurt his knee in the rookie camp back in July?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

dunno if this was posted here already...ESPN came out with it's fantasy players ranking. Guess who's 7th overall and 3rd goalie ranked. Theodore. Interesting.

Posted by: wanggo | August 21, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon - you don't want an odd number if you're doing head to head. Bye weeks stink!

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

wanggo

Maybe ESPN finally started sniffing some REAL hockey analysis and realized the caps have a DAMN GOOD DEFENSE.

And as the tubby-bastard on NHL Network says, your best defense is a good offense, and your best offense, is a good defense.

Posted by: FFS Enough | August 21, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's the ESPN Rankings with OV at 2 and Jose at 7:

Posted by: RobMonroe | August 21, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@FFS Enough

I agree completely. In fact, I would like to see a stat on puck possession time it is possible. The Caps should be able to control the puck 60-65% of the time vs the opponent with some of the weapons we have on offense. Nylander is a master in puck possession inside the Blue Line. The way he cycles on the power play also, with Semen, Ovie, Green or pass back's to Federov should be just plain nasty.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 21, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I think Jose will be solid, but I think #7 overall is WAY too high considering the players below him.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@ Anonymous
Pens season ticket holders get an extra bonus, might get some Crosby peach fuzz if you look really close in my jock......he was always really up close and personal when-ever I had it on.

Posted by: Marian | August 21, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little surprised that Backstrom wasn't on the list, simply for being Ovie's center. A full season of them on the same line should bring him quite a stat sheet.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | August 21, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

tarik,

are you taking any meds for your writers block? I hear that can get nasty

Posted by: bored | August 21, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

The one good thing about having only 9,000 season ticket customers, you don't have to worry about high mailing costs when the club sends out its STH gifts.

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | August 21, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@SabresfaninDC

Think McFly Think!

Why would you spend money mailing something when every person recieving the item visits the Verizon Center 41 times? You can just have them pick it up.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

How do you fantasy-leaguers score goaltenders? sv%, gaa, or wins?

I would think it'd be tough to give one category more weight than another.

Posted by: curious | August 21, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Successful teams usually send it out.

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | August 21, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Oooooooooooooo dis.

Posted by: AP | August 21, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero

You're right, I keep forgetting. 14 or 16, 2 divisions.

@SabresFanInDc

Great thing about not signing your young talent to contracts is that you never have to worry about cap issues. Or you could be us and sign all your young talent and not have to worry about cap issues.

Posted by: JSchon | August 21, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Short but pretty cool interview over at Japer's Rink with Backstrom

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 21, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Successful teams usually send it out.

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | August 21, 2008 3:55 PM

and you would know about this from your own personal experience with the Sabres? what shred of success has Buffalo had, in any sport? Do tell.

look forward to hearing from you November 1st

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah sending out 9000 picture frames through USPS is a GREAT idea. SabresFan, I can't think of one good one reason to even visit Buffalo. If it's so great up there what the hell are you doing down here? Do you even play hockey or are you one of those guys that likes to wear Jerseys out seven days a week with your acid washed jeans, having a beer by yourself hoping for a hot girl to talk to you? Flex some more of your internet muscles and tell us how big of a hockey fan you are and why that makes you Hockey's Superfan.

Posted by: MNMNT | August 22, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse