Caps' Jose Theodore nominated for King Clancy

Capitals goalie Jose Theodore has been nominated by his teammates for the King Clancy Memorial Trophy, which is awarded annually "to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community."

Theodore's teammates voted late in the regular season. A panel of broadcasters and writers will choose from the 30 nominees and the winner will be announced at the NHL Awards Show in Las Vegas on June 23.

Olie Kolzig is the only Capital to earn the distinction in the trophy's 23-year history.

Theodore is also up for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 24, 2010; 11:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Finally healthy, Flyers are forward-thinking
Next: Stanley Cup finals to begin Saturday

Comments

I hope he wins it!!

Posted by: cordobes17 | May 24, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I wonder where he'll end up next year. Looks like its going to be a goaltender heavy off season. Good Luck to him with the award, and in the future.

Posted by: j3rockstar | May 24, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I really hope he gets it. It's been a tough year for him.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | May 24, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Zippity do- dads.

Good luck Theo- and best of luck with your new team.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 24, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Very well deserved! Thanks boys for voting for Theo :) hope you win it Jo,

Posted by: DieHardTheoFan60 | May 24, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Deserving, as always.

Posted by: nicko | May 24, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

He's also up for the Foundation Player of the Year... $25K towards his Saves for Kids Program if he wins.

Posted by: Tracy2117 | May 24, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Semin looked more upset about losing in the worlds than losing to an inferior team in the Stanley Cup playoffs. This guy obviously doesn't want to be in the NHL. As Wade Garrett said in the movie Road House, "That dog, won't hunt."

Posted by: LloydChristmas | May 24, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I dont know if that is fair about Semin... this obvious distress could be the cumulative effect of losing so many times or the fact he is about to become fodder for the Russian media trashing machine again since they lost again OR due to the the potential humilation of having to face your president after you lost yet again.... or due to the trashing the paps have been delivering to the guy all week via the gossip rags..

its a different culture for them than American hockey players ya know.. he does have more love for his country than his team I agree, but I am not sure I judge him for that.. in a weird way I wish our American athletes were as vested...

Of course, I dont know the guy but he seems to internalize things and the look on his face that once when he missed the net in game 7 was just as distressed as he was here.. he only showed it for a second publically but it was there...

I do think he'd be better off talking about how he wants to win for the Caps.. maybe his agent needs to point that out to him..

I still hope the Caps dont trade him.. I think he's got that killer season in him that is gonna burst through in the next year or two as soon as he channels it..

D(*N flyers!

Posted by: kmr2r | May 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Damn flyers!!! Should have been the Caps.

Posted by: instinct227 | May 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Not that it's of any importance, but I was reading a Russian site and saw this interesting tidbit describing the Russian team arriving home at the Moscow airport:

"Players with luggage slowly wander from the aircraft to the terminal. Nikulin Sushinsky, Semin, AtyushovYoung Anisimov plastered with his right hand. Ovechkin also led on a leash new friend - Shepherd puppy."

Posted by: tess2201 | May 24, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Well gang,

About the only good thing I can say about the Flyers making it to the Stanley Cup Finals is that at least the Penguins didn't make it. I'm no Flyers fan by any stretch of the imagination. And do not care for their mode of operation and consider them a "dirty" team. And wonder how on Earth they made it to the Stanley Cup Finals with a goal tending tandem of Leighton and Boucher.

I consider them the lesser of two evils when comparing them to the Penguins. (ANY other team is the lesser of two evils when compared to the Penguins, in my humble opinion.)

I will NOT be rooting for them in the SC Finals against the Black Hawks.

(Given my track record, the Flyers will probably win the SC this year.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 24, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

@kmr2r

I think the cumulative effect of all the disappointments for Semin are what caused his latest unhappiness. I'm sure he was upset about losing in Round 1 of the playoffs.

At one point, Boudreau said all the young guns (i.e. Ovi, Backstrom, Semin, and Green) were beyond inconsolable afterwards

Sure, he wants to win for his country. In general, the Russians are very much vested that way.

I'd rather not see Semin traded, myself. He seems like he's gotten better every year. Plus, he's a talent that I'd hate to see against us.

Yes, our team needs better balance between offense and defense. I'll admit that, as well.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 24, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 They flyers made it to SC finals because of defence.

Posted by: instinct227 | May 24, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have an elite defense and an average goalie than an average defense and an elite goalie.

And an elite defense doesn't start and end with good defensemen. It's a team concept and commitment that involves both defensemen and forwards.

There is a reason that they see defense wins championships in just about every sport. And that reason is not that you don't need offense. It just means that without being a good defensive team, you don't stand much of a chance.

Sure, there are examples here and there where average defensive teams win but even in this cases, the defense usually outperforms what they did in the regular season during the playoffs.

I'm not sold on our style of play or that we have enough of the right kinds of players. I think we need changes in both areas, not one or the other.

Posted by: tmac2yao | May 24, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

*a reason that they say (not see)

Posted by: tmac2yao | May 24, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll also add that if you are making your franchise player a winger, that wing needs to be a complete player no matter how many goals he scores each season.

Hossa is a wing but the guy can be used in every single situation and plays both ends of the ice. He's a fantastic offensive and defensive player. There are a number of other plays that fit into this category.

If we are paying Ovechkin around $10 mil per season, he needs to start adding to his overall game. I wonder if that can happen in this system.

Posted by: tmac2yao | May 24, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

@instinct227

I see you're using the British spelling of "defense" in your earlier post; i.e. defence.

I understand your sentiment and tmac2yao did a great job on elaborating on that.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 24, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

I can certainly see your argument on desiring elite defense and average goaltending as opposed to the reverse.

Case in Point: Buffalo, the team with the best goalie in the league, Ryan Miller, was bounced in Round 1. And this year's edition of the Flyers and Blackhawks who have advanced to the SC Finals without elite goaltending.

But then again, Martin Brodeur, who holds so many of the goalie records, was also bounced in Round 1, 2 year in a row.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 24, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

VOLCHENKOV - that's how I would like to spell defense next year. Shot blocking machine and nasty down low. Exactly what the Caps need... If they get him, these pairings would look good:

Schultz / Green (weakest of the 3 pairs)
Poti / Volchenkov
Carlson / Alzner

Posted by: Roose | May 25, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Good for you, Jose! You deserve better and hopefully get more respect from your new coach, where ever that may be.

Posted by: JohnWWW | May 25, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd. It's like a pimple needing to be popped. Or a scab aching to be torn off a healing wound. It sounds like the name of the kid who always got hit in the nads during dodgeball.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 26, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse