Theodore nominated for Masterton Trophy

Jose Theodore has been tapped as the Capitals' Bill Masterton Trophy nominee by the Washington Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

Theodore, who lost his two month old son in August because of respiratory complications related to a premature birth, has been one of the team's best players in the second half, going 19-0-3 since Jan. 13 with a 2.61 goals against average and .921 save percentage during that span for the league's Presidents' Trophy winning club.

The award is given each year to the player who demonstrates sportsmanship, perseverance and dedication to the game. The winner will be chosen by the PWHA's 30 chapters and the trophy will be awarded at the NHL Awards show in Las Vegas in June.

Brian Pothier was the chapter's nominee last season.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 8, 2010; 10:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin still has something to play for
Next: As playoffs approach, Caps nearing full strength

Comments

James Mirtle on his Globe and Mail blog has a list of who is nominated.

When I just checked he had not updated it to include Theo but he did say:
"In my mind, the best candidates this year are players like David Booth, Kurtis Foster, Fernando Pisani and Jose Theodore. We'll have to wait and see if they're nominated."

Well one of his best candidates has been nominated.

Posted by: rbluesw | April 8, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Good for Theo! Going into the season, I was expecting Varly to step up and for Theo to end up the back-up. I was kind of hoping for it considering Theo's past. However, several months ago I felt myself start to pull for Theo. I would be very happy to see him be the one to take us to the Cup, and it seems like he can actually do it.

I don't think he gets enough credit, and after what he's been through, I'd love to see him achieve something great.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | April 8, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Stories like his remind us that there are bigger things in life then this game.

Posted by: sroessle | April 8, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Good pick and good on Theo.

But, Tarik, who is this "Washington Chapter"? Ever since the Times folded, isn't that just you?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 8, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I am a huge CAPS fan but am currently in school down here in auburn, AL. I was wondering if there has been dates or times released for the first rd of the playoffs so I can get my travel plans done for coming home whether I need to drive or fly and all. Any help would be appreciated. Also anyone who knows about tickets also help would be greatly appreciated on both these topics.

Posted by: aucapsfan | April 8, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I think this is a worthy award but in general hockey has way too many of these individual awards and trophies compared to other sports, especially for a sport that likes to think of it as an ultimate team sport.

Posted by: joek443 | April 8, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

good for Theo. Well deserved.

Posted by: doughless | April 8, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

An excellent choice.

Posted by: nicko | April 8, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

It is so easy to forget what Theo has been through this year. I REALLY hope he can keep playing the way he has through the playoffs...I think he is due for some good luck. If he keeps playing the way he has, then I would put the Caps as the clear front runner for the Cup.

Flyers fans want to see us in the 1st round of playoffs b/c they think we have weak goal tending...well they obviously have not seen Theo lately and I would LOVE to teach them a lesson about bashing our team and goalies!

Posted by: capscoach | April 8, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

aucapsfan,
i think they are going to announce it on sunday or so.

Posted by: MNMNT | April 8, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I was trying to think of players who actually have a shot to win this award - every team nominates a player and some have no hope of winning it.....but I think Theo actually is the front runner because of his comeback to form this year.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | April 8, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: aucapsfan

it looks like the caps will play Thursday night because the WIZ play Wed. I am selling 2 tickets to game 1. 2 seats Section 228 row K. I paid 200.00 a ticket so that is what I am selling them for. email me if you are interested. tprpolen@yahoo.com.
Lets Go Caps!!!!

Posted by: Tprpolen | April 8, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I guess there's still Brian McNally with the Examiner, as far as local reporters covering the Caps. While I enjoy Tarik's work, I do chuckle sometimes when I watch post-game press conferences 'cause they sometimes seem to become "The Tarik Show" (his voice is so recognizable asking questions even if you don't see him) because, well, there's just not a lot of newspaper reporters in town to ask questions anymore. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 8, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: aucapsfan

Lets Go Caps!!!!

Posted by: Tprpolen | April 8, 2010 11:37 AM

he's asking for a definite schedule and it hasn't been announced yet.

Posted by: MNMNT | April 8, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'll betcha Theo would rather have the Conn Smythe. I am amazed he has been able to focus. I don't know how I would be doing right now. He and his wife have suffered a parent's greatest fear.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 8, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Although a big Varly fan last year, my daughter became a Theo fan after meeting him at the Caps Convention last September. Now she groans when Varly gets the start. Besides being a much better goalie than even his own fans give him credit for (how many Theodore jerseys do you see at VC, 1%?) he is a very nice and very classy man. I wish him the best in hockey and in life.

Posted by: LeopardSeal | April 8, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I am so excited and happy that Theo received this nomination. He is really an inspiration and when watching him play, I am constantly reminded of what's really important. Congrats to Theo on this nomination!

Posted by: JillC | April 8, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

OMFG...Tarik: 2 minutes in the penalty box for illegal mind-reading!

While I was composing a (very; see last thread) recent post about which players I'd have on my All-Time Caps team, I was thinking:

"Y'know, after what he's been through and what he's accomplished thus far, Theo should get the Masterton this year. I'll start a campaign..."

My refresh several minutes after the "All-Time Caps" post showed no responses. So I scrolled back to the top and...

...wierd.

Now....if I could just exert my powers to accomplish another objective:

"Brooks Laich for Selke Trophy"

...Please discuss.