Jose Theodore says he's ready to return (updated)

(Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

Jose Theodore says he could be ready to return tomorrow after suffering a hip flexor injury Tuesday night on Long Island.

Theodore practiced for about 40 minutes and told me afterward that he's recovering faster than expected.

He said he suffered the injury in the first period of the Caps' 7-2 win when he went down awkwardly to make a kick save. He attempted to play through it, but the hip stiffened up considerably between periods and got progressively worse, forcing him out of the game.

"I'm really happy with how today went," said Theodore, who has six straight wins. "I worked really hard. I'm going to talk to the medical staff and let them know how I feel and see what they think. I felt better quicker than I thought. Today was a good test. Hopefully I'll be able to back up tomorrow, or play."

Although the news is encouraging, the Caps might wait on sending Braden Holtby back to Hershey just in case Theodore's hip stiffens up overnight. If it doesn't, it sounds like Michal Neuvirth will get the start tomorrow against the Panthers and Theodore will be his backup.

Practice today was extremely optional with the Caps in the midst of another brutal stretch of games (four in six days, including a matinee against Tampa Bay on Sunday). So only Holtby, Quintin Laing, Theodore, Matt Bradley and Tyler Sloan skated this morning.

One other note: The team says they've assigned Michael Nylander to Finnish club Jokerit. The veteran had been with Grand Rapids of the American Hockey League.

Update:Holtby has been returned to Hershey, so that means Theodore is ready to return.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 28, 2010; 12:53 PM ET
 | Tags: Jose Theodore
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore practicing
Next: Poll: What do the Caps need?

Comments

How ironic that Nylander would land at Jokerit. Glen Hanlon used to be the head coach there, although he's no longer in that position.

Either way, it's a step up from Grand Rapids, that's for sure.

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 28, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

lol....Nylander...

-8 in 20+ games for the AHL team...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 28, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

From Hockeybuzz: Hockey Players superstitions:

Sidney Crosby (Penguins Forward): What is it with the really great players and their laundry lists of superstitions? Here’s what Sid gets up to. First, he won’t call his mother on a game day because the last three times he did he got injured (busted teeth, dislocated shoulder and a broken foot). Second, once he has taped up his sticks before the game no one can touch them or make like they’re going to. If they do Sid will remove the tape and re-tape the stick. Third, if the team is travelling on the bus he will lift his feet and touch glass if they have to cross railroad tracks. Finally, if playing on the road he will only use tape supplied by the home team for his sticks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In reaction the Capitals release a statement to all NHL teams announcing that they will no longer be providing tape to opponents at VC.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 28, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Just found this short Semin clip. I don't know Russian, but I still love when he laughs at the end!

Posted by: dc33 | January 28, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

RE: Sid the Kid's superstitions. I get the first two but the last two are very odd. Of course, if the Caps win when I drink a particular brand of beer I refuse to change brands until they lose again. So, I guess I shouldn't question his quirks. :^)

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 28, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

FYI, there was a study published recently showing that even rats are superstitious (ok, I'm not trying to be funny about Crosby here). If they walk in a circle and then get fed, they will continue to walk in a circle whenever they want food. It's simply a matter of performing induction on a very small data sample. So, you can definitely understand the one about not calling his mother on game days.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 28, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The lifting your feet for railroad tracks thing is not new to Sid; I've heard of that one before. I hadn't heard of touching glass to remove the jinx. It falls into the same category as holding your breath when you pass a cemetery (which, in Indianapolis, around Crown Hill, gets to be damned inconvenient!)

Posted by: irockthered | January 28, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't touch my sticks! Don't breath on my sticks! Don't even look at my sticks!

Jeezus. Doesn't do much to dispel his crybaby image. Gotta wonder what his teammates think of that one.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 28, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that Ovie pulls a "Tom Brady" and restructures his contract to allow the Caps to keep both Nicky and Semin long term? Is this even possible?

I am torn as to whether the caps need to make a move or not. I guess if they can obtain a top 4 stay at home D man, who can clear people out in front of the net, that would be a nice move. Although seems to me, by obtaining Knuble in the offseason and the emergence/net presence of Laich/Fehr/Fleishman we don't really need to add anything up front. I keep reading about a need for a true 2nd line center. Whats wrong with with Flash has been doing lately?

I think a healthy theo with either Varly or Nuevy is fine for the goalie situation.

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | January 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | January 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@SkinsFanInNYC

Not possible with the current collective bargaining agreement. It most likely won't be allowed in the next one as it seems that the NHL is trying to make a point that they do not want NFL style back-loaded contracts.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 28, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

take it easy there jose...

don't be so damn scared that you're gonna lose your job (again) to one of these kids...get your body straight so we're good to long term.

Posted by: carsonspence | January 28, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

So the Nylander saga is finally Finnished.

Posted by: BobLHead | January 28, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@SkinsFanInNYC : I'm glad you brought this up. Let me state unequivocally that Alex Ovechkin is the greatest hockey player in the world. Now, is there a chance that GMGM overpaid him relative to the overriding goals of the team? I have wondered for a while how they arrived at their number. I don't picture Ovi demanding an extra couple of million per year. So, I assume GMGM was expecting the cap number to go up for the next several years and did not anticipate a major recession, a drop in revenues and a corresponding drop in the cap number. Anyone have any thoughs on this?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 28, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes Nylander was -8 on Grand Rapids, but he is also tied for 2nd in assists, having only appeared in about half their games... Like him or not, the guy can dish the puck. I know it's old news and doesn't matter now, but just for fun, what the heck did he really do to GMGM?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 28, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

So the Nylander saga is finally Finnished.

Posted by: BobLHead | January 28, 2010 2:05 PM

---------------------------------

*eye roll* I bet you were really proud of that...

Posted by: Raber | January 28, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond : I think the problem was with Boudreau and his system. I'm not an expert on this but Boudreau's highly successful and exciting system is very vertical and aggressive; Nylander plays very horizontal and kind of passive. At this stage in his career I think he just couldn't make the adjustment. Everything I've read suggests it was nothing personal.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 28, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Ovi is well worth what he is paid. This is fact. If Kovalchuk gets his $10-11 million, Ovi turns into a steal.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 28, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

skinsfanin nyc, nhl contracts cannot be restructured ala NFL deals. all contracts are guaranteed and final. you cant restructure or otherwise change the terms. the only thing you can do is buyout a contract under certain circumstances.

no doubt that in five years or less someone with far less skills and impact than ovie will sign for more per year. that's the risk ovie took for the long term security. thats also why this will turn out to be a good deal for the caps.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 28, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1: I think you make a good point about guys being signed for more than Ovi in the future. The number feels pretty high now given its length and the "hometown discount" you might expect from a guy who loves where he plays. But, it should be less likely that when Stamkos signs for 15 mill per in 2012 that Ovi will freak out. At least that's the hope.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 28, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

BobLHead: It cracked me up!

Posted by: uncatim | January 28, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Tarik- out of ALL the Jose pictures you guys must have in your archives, you had to use one where he's giving up a goal?

Posted by: scmonty1 | January 28, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@cccapsfan

what team would dedicate more than 1/4 of a 57 million dollar capped payroll to one player? thats not a very sound investment in a team game. and the camp is definitely not going up anytime soon. it may even be going down.

Posted by: ngraham1 | January 28, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I guess some of us are still unwilling to accept that Nylander can't play at a high level any more. If there was any hope of a NHL team picking him up for the playoff run, he probably wouldn't have gone to Finland IMO.

Posted by: zmega | January 28, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Submitted for your approval:

1) Well I did get some of my predictions right: Although the Caps did not score 8 goals, nor did OV get a hat trick, he and Sasha did score, and the Caps did win their 8th straight. Almost as satisfying: Caps-love has returned to NHLOTF.

2) The Caps have many players who have tallied multiple-goal games, but none have recorded a hat trick yet this season. Therefore, I propose a new statistic/celebration ritual:

Since either a sun visor or a skullcap could genrally be agreed-upon as constituting two thirds (2/3) of a hat when compared to other types of headgear that combine both a top and a bill/brim, A Caps player scoring two goals in a game would thus be considered to have accomplished a "Visor Trick" or "Skullcap Trick".

In such an eventuality, the fans could rain headbands, bandannas, sun visors, skullcaps, tam o'shanters or berets onto the ice surface.

However, no baseball caps, fedoras, derbies, boaters, homburgs, stetsons, bonnets, fezzes, deerstalkers, porkpies, pith helmets, kepis, panamas, sombreros, top hats, trilbys(sp.?) or war bonnets would be allowed.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 28, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

nothing new needs to rain on the ice. a hat trick is a hat trick and you cannot suggest changes to the traditional fabric of hockey...

our team will keep finding new and exciting ways to rack up the goals...a hat trick is due soon...for someone

Posted by: netminder71 | January 28, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

From TSN.CA:

"The Pittsburgh Penguins announced Thursday that enforcer Eric Godard will miss four-to-six weeks with a groin injury."

He was seen fighting with Sidney before that...

Posted by: Greg S. | January 28, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

scmonty1,
Why do you say he's giving up a goal in the photo? Looks to me like he and Sarge are both looking behind the net.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 28, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"out of ALL the Jose pictures you guys must have in your archives, you had to use one where he's giving up a goal?"

Based on the position of his stick, I'd say he has the post covered pretty well.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 28, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@SkinsFanInNY

Good on you for following the Caps and for living in NYC.

Is it possible to have Backstrom, Fleischman, Semin negotiate their new deals in common? (I know that Semin is good through 11, but...). The top 6 on this team form a core (if Green and Varlamov are included) and they should have a lot of success if they stay together.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | January 28, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

...and the ref is clearly not indincating a goal.

@ccCapsfan - what is your current brew? Maybe we should all be drinking it.

Posted by: ds_kelly | January 28, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: netminder71 | January 28, 2010 3:35 PM
-------------------------------------------

@netminder71:

Scott Z? Is that you? Düüüde!!! Couldn't you tell that I was joking?!?!?!.

Seriously, I would only throw a hat on the ice for a real hat trick.

That said, it would be a special hat, whose flight characteristics would enable a person of average physical strength to get it all the way to the ice from the "nosebleed" seats.

Respectfully,

Rhino40

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 28, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

So by assigning Nylander to the Finnish League, I assume that is a nice gesture on the part of the Caps because they have come to some sort of agreement that Nylander will not be paid another dime after this season? I figured sending him to Grand Rapids was to pressure him in that direction. Riding the bus around the cold midwest couldnt have been fun for a guy making $5M per year. Any news?

Posted by: daddy_axe | January 28, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse