Theodore starting, Green limping, Backstrom preparing

Jose Theodore will start in goal for the Caps tonight against Columbus. But that's about all Coach Bruce Boudreau was willing to share with reporters when he spoke moments ago.

I can tell you that I saw Mike Green limp into Verizon Center. He missed practice yesterday after taking a shot off the leg Friday, and when I asked him if he could play, he said only, "Don't know yet." Boudreau said he needed to talk to Green before deciding whether the defenseman will play.

Nicklas Backstrom, who missed practice yesterday with an undisclosed illness, was preparing as if he'll play. But Boudreau stopped short of guaranteeing that the center will be in the lineup.

I'll post lines and pairings after warmups. Things should be a lot clearer then.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 1, 2009; 3:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Laing: 'A couple of days of feeling miserable'
Next: Tonight's lineup: Blue Jackets at Caps

Comments

well I hope green can play but if he can't hopefully we can pull out a win anyways. hope ovie and backie can keep putting numbers up. and here's hoping theo gets a win!

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

... the season is young and it is better, to rest and heal than to aggravate injuries ...

... and as was told again and again, the CAPS are a deep team, so let the other guys play some more minutes to gain more experience ...

GO CAPS!

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see what happens if Greenie and Backs are out. Sloan back on D; Aucoin centering the second line?

Posted by: Sonyask | November 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Boudreau has signed a tryout deal and he will suit up for third line duty if necessary.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

It's clear Backstrom got it after Semin and Ovi...

Posted by: CodePoetry | November 1, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

is nyls back from grand rapids mich. yet?
he can be a 1st/2nd line center!!

i couldn't help myself - had to bring up nyls. tarik - hurry up and post the lineup!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 1, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I really hope that he breaks up the Ovie-Backy-Semin line. It can be brilliant but can also be too full of itself and, as BB says, being "cute." I think that Knuble in the first line proved to be a great move. Much more stable. Personally, I loved the Morrison, Knuble, Ovie line combination. At least Ovie, Backs and Knuble.

Posted by: caraveli | November 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse