Theodore suffers 'stinger,' expected to play

Goaltender Jose Theodore was struck by a shot on the inside of his left knee earlier in practice and suffered a "stinger," according to Coach Bruce Boudreau.

Boudreau said Theodore was in some discomfort, but that he fully expects his No. 1 to start tomorrow's playoff opener against Montreal.

"If you've ever played, when you get hit on the inside of a knee, it's like a funny bone and goes numb for a bit," Boudreau said. "We decided to keep him off because he had already had his shots and we were just doing" special teams drills.

"It hurts right off the bat," Boudreau added. "[But] it's on the bone, so it's fine."

Asked if there are any concerns about Theodore's ability to play tomorrow, Boudreau said: "None."

Theodore returned to the net after taking the shot off his knee. But he retired to the dressing room moments after attempting to finish practice.

Here's a video of Boudreau taking questions after practice:

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 14, 2010; 12:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nicklas Backstrom: 'I felt okay'
Next: Alex Ovechkin says he's healthy

Comments

Thank goodness!

Posted by: zyvo23 | April 14, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Pens signed Johnson to an extension.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 14, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Where was Carlson? I like the kid, but if he was the shooter, we may be seeing a pattern. :)

Posted by: _Mark | April 14, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Good for Johnny landing an extension. I just wish he hadn't gone to an evil team.

Posted by: _Mark | April 14, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark | April 14, 2010 12:23 PM

Other tread indicated the Theo was hit by an Ovi shoot. Should we bench Ovi?

Posted by: instinct227 | April 14, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

maybe BB should hire his buddy John Anderson immediately and let him work with the PK unit...

Posted by: joek443 | April 14, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Lets go Caps!

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | April 14, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

From Tarik's twitter:
"Asked if he knew who took the shot that injured Jose Theodore, Coach Bruce Boudreau joked: "I don't know, but he's not playing.""

Glad to hear it is light and lively at the rink.

Posted by: _Mark | April 14, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

instinct227, yeah, I saw those threads, just having a little fun at the kid's expense.

Posted by: _Mark | April 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Ahh the playoffs. First it was reported the puck was off Ovechkin's stick and hit Jose in the are. Now it is his knee. All this deception to try and keep the opponents from knowing what is wrong if anything. Except I am sure they had at least one scout watching practice who knows exactally where Theo got hurt and if the Habs can use it to their advantage.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 14, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I have two tickets to tomorrow night's game to unload. Section 411. Anyone want in? Price can be negotiated. E-mail me at woodside.christopher@gmail.com

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Ovie's done his damage in practice. Remember Clark a few years ago.

Posted by: fbutler1 | April 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 14, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 14, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

So sorry about the spamming of the board. Post website froze up. I guess now the WHOLE WORLD knows that I have two tickets. lol

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 14, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau maintains a steady temperament and the club seems loose. Contrast that with the Caps back in the 1980's where the team came out tense and lacking in confidence for the playoffs despite doing quite well during the regular season.

In the end those teams knew they had the defensive stars but not the scorers to propel the club to a title and they would have to play 'perfect' hockey to beat teams like the Islanders and Flyers.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 14, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Just to let you guys know, I just suffered an index finger stinger typing this post but I should be ready to post tomorrow...just an FYI

Posted by: Moose33 | April 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chris
Do you have two tickets to tomorrow's game?
I couldn't tell. haha

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Have faith.

Lets Go Caps!!

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | April 14, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"The veteran goaltender had vacated his locker room before the dressing room was open to the media horde, which now includes more than two dozen reporters and cameras from Washington and Montreal."

Jose is just dodging the rabid Montreal press.

Posted by: psujohn | April 14, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Jesus...maybe the Caps should just stop practicing now!

Posted by: aybee27 | April 14, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Dang it, those WhatifSports people ruined it for me. I really was looking forward to the possibility the Caps could win the Cup on home ice.

Posted by: _Mark | April 14, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if this has been posted before, but you can now vote in Pool A of TSN's Play of the Year Showdown. Backstrom is one of the nominees in Pool A (although it's really a team highlight):

Gonna be hard to be Stamkos in that pool, though.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 14, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

This is the downside of hearing every detail as it happens - Theo's hurt! He's not hurt! OMG - he's off the ice! Wait - it's just a stinger! Definitely drags the emotions up/down in a matter of seconds. This ole gal's heart can only take so much! ;-)

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 14, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The table for a historic first round collapse is now completely set...

Posted by: jack_mo_99 | April 14, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

This may sound weird, but I had a dream last night -- was so vivid, as if I was watching TV. Anyway, in the dream, in the opening minutes of tomorrow night's game, Ovie takes it down the right side and scores on a backhander from the top of the cicle. I believe my dream was a sign from the Hockey Gods and suggests that we are going to blow out the Habs tomorrow.

Posted by: CapsLust | April 14, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't blame Theo for vacating so quickly. I feel bad that these guys can't escape the media horde even in their own locker room. It's great that sports teams are so accessible but I think locker room interviews are a bit much. I'm curious how the media-types would react if someone stuck a microphone and blinding lights in their face every time they stepped out of the shower. Geesh! Rest up and get well Theo -- you've got a grueling 16-28 games ahead of you!

Posted by: AmyS1 | April 14, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse