Theodore to start; Backstrom set to return

Count Coach Bruce Boudreau among the thousands of local residents forced to stay in a hotel after losing power at his home during the snowstorm.

But that still doesn't compare to what the Pens went through over the past 18 hours. After losing in Montreal on Saturday afternoon, they flew to Newark, N.J., then bused to Washington. They arrived after 2 a.m.

"If Pittsburgh could get in, it was important to play this game," Boudreau said. "[But] you always have a concern because I haven't seen that much snow."

Wait a second. Did a Canadian just say he had NEVER seen that much snow?

"In a single dropping, yeah," he added. "I've seen it accumulate and be over the lamp posts and it stays there. But in a single dropping, I hadn't seen anything like that."

Pittsburgh's late arrival would seem to give the Caps an an advantage, right? Not according to Boudreau, who has become really adept at building up opponents and making his league leading team seem like the underdog.

"I think it's totally the opposite," Boudreau said. "All they had to do was sit on a bus. We had to shovel out our houses. Half the city was without power. I know a lot of the guys had no power. You're digging out cars ...and I think that's more taxing than just sitting down."

"I'm more worried about our players, too, having to shovel out," Boudreau said. "I wanted to make sure they didn't do too much shoveling. Maybe I'm old, but I'm sore as hell today."

As far as today's lineup, Boudreau also said that all the players reported to the rink on time and that Jose Theodore will start in net.

Nicklas Backstrom, who left Friday's game with a suspected migraine, will be in the lineup. But there could be a few changes. Boudreau would not elaborate other than to say that all 22 players will take the warm up.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 7, 2010; 10:50 AM ET
 | Tags: Bruce Boudreau, Capitals, Nicklas Backstrom, Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. snow creates travel issues for Penguins
Next: Live chat: Caps vs. Penguins

Comments

OMG...PLEASE don't change the forward lines!!!!!

Posted by: capscoach | February 7, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

ALRIGHT! Good news. Hope the team can wake up.

Posted by: 1-20-09 | February 7, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Come meet your maker Pittsburgh...The tides have changed...another knotch on the championship belt we're gonna take..

Posted by: SA-Town | February 7, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

BB does have a uque ability to make his team seem like the underdog.

Posted by: capscoach | February 7, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I think Gabby is on the money with his assessment. The Pens probably slept at least a little bit on the bus. The Caps in addition to having to shovel out, haven't been able to practice much lately because of their schedule. The Pens have played fewer games recently, and that means more practice, and that can mean more disciplined adherence to the system. I said it yesterday, I think it's a wash as to who is more tired or more prepared/ up for this tilt. Is it freaking noon yet!?

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 7, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The commemorative Snovechkin tee at http://capseye.typepad.com/

Posted by: meagle | February 7, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

whenever you play the defending champs, you ARE the underdog... the current standings don't matter, it's just the regular season.

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

So who will be sitting out today? (As in which forward does Boudreau wish to send a message for due to "shoddy" play, to get replaced with Quentin Laing?)

Or will there be changes in defense?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Will Fleury be in goal for Pittsburgh?

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

The Caps perform better when they have the underdog mentality anyhow.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Snowed in,no plowed streets, no Metro. I am P.O.d

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 7, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

elicea-

Yes, Flower will be in goal. And he is going to be focused. He got yanked yesterday.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@elicea

I assume so. (That was their plan, earlier. They figured with all the off days, Fleury could handle back to backs.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I take it there's no chance I can get a refund for the tickets I bought. you know, state of emergency and all. and DC fire/ems asking people to stay at home and off the roads.

Posted by: NoVAHockey | February 7, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

He got yanked yesterday.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse
--------------------
Hopefully he gets pulled again today

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully he gets pulled again today

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 11:22 AM

Amen, girl.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@elicea

Would be nice if Fleury's performance in goaltending today merits being pulled.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@elicea

As in the Caps sending a flurry of shots behind him in the net. (Can't resist the bad pun.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@Capsfan75

haha, I was about to post that same thing.

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@NoVaHockey

Check out Ted's post on the weather and refunds.

Posted by: patrone | February 7, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it is time BB tweaked the lines a little. The last 3 wins were not dominating performances on the stats sheets. Let this great coach do what he does -- coach great.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 7, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I think the anger in Capitals nation is not focused in the right direction. Let me help everyone....

GET RID OF THAT STUPID CAPSTRONAUNT HE IS A WASTE OF SPACE....

Thank you.

Posted by: capshockey9876 | February 7, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@elicea

I guess our humor runs in the same direction.

And speaking of plays on names, may the Seminator

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

May the Seminator strike again with a game winning goal for the Caps. Although I'll be happy with a game winning goal by ANY Cap.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Me too! And goals by a lot of them. I'm ready for the game to start.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@patrone

My own personal suggestion would be to give a discount to stranded STH's who wish to renew for next year. Okay, that won't help everyone, only those who are renewing their Season Tickets but it would be better than nothing.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm stuck at work and won't get to see the Caps game. FML.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | February 7, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
I'm so excited.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

C*A*P*S Caps Caps Caps
Pluck Da pens.

Posted by: zosodave | February 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with the league; this game should have been postponed. I know the primary reason to keep the game on was to have Alex vs Sid on Super Bowl Sunday and just before the Olympics on NBC - but if the crowd is half-empty because people can't get to the game, it will look terrible on national TV.

Plus, Eddie Olczyk is too dumb and too pro-Penguins to understand that there was a storm here in DC. What's the over/under on how many times he says that the Caps "didn't sell out today?"...Olczyk as a broadcaster is an excellent waster of time.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: guiliano89 | February 7, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I really want this team to get a MEAN on!!!

I GOT MY MEAN ON BY DIGGING MYSELF AND MY CAR OUT!

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

And the seeds of excuse have just been planted. So if precious Sidney doesn't win it's because of the terrible day of travel. Oh, they didn't get in til 2:00 am. bee-oh-oh aitch-oh-oh.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The crowd sounds nice and loud. I guess the relatively few who couldn't make it all sounded off on these boards.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure which is more painful, listening to this play-by-play guy or watching Sloan-Poti play "defense."

Posted by: butcherbaker | February 7, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The kid can play.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I finally had to turn off the sound...NBC announcers are ridiculous Pengroin homers ..."NBC= Nothin' But Crosby (c**ksuckers)..sickening!

Posted by: JCB9 | February 7, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I muted NBC too JCB9---I cannot stand those guys... much rather have the game on CSN with Joe and Craig...

Posted by: RogerNoVa | February 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Boy, have the Penguins exposed ( Once again ) the Caps in this 1st. period. Basically, all the flaws I've harped on for the last 3 years are surfacing. An unwillingness to drop the gloves and FIGHT. And, a porous, shakey defense.
There were at least two occasions when a total brawl would have been appropriate. First, when Theo got run over. And, secondly when Ov was creamed against the boards. THOSE THINGS SIMPLY CAN NOT BE ALLOWED TO GO UNPUNISHED!!!!! And, don't tell me about Knuble's 4 second "A" whipping. I'm talking about an All Out Brawl!! But, it didn't happen. All they do is EMBOLDEN the other team by being such wimps. Period! And, certainly Crosby & Co. are already overloaded with courage and disrespect for Wash. DISGRACEFUL!!
Oh, I forgot. The Caps' PP is supposed to be the deterant. Yea, right. A good beat down is the greatest deterrant in thee world. But, with a team full of Fehrs, Flashs, Schultzs,Potis, Shamos, B. Laichs etc., there's little chance of the Caps STANDING UP LIKE MEN and doing what's necessary.
Basically, this is a replay of last years' playoffs. Crosby scoring from point blank range. Jesus Christ!! No guts. No glory. George, get a clue!! Forget their pretty little meaningless regular season "Success." This is playoff style hockey they're engaged in today. Do you see what Puckguru's looking at?

Posted by: Puckguru | February 7, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Puckguru, your rants are getting old...enough already

Posted by: RogerNoVa | February 7, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Caps 5-4 in overtime--as you were saying Puckguru....

Posted by: RogerNoVa | February 7, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

---there's little chance of the Caps STANDING UP LIKE MEN and doing what's necessary....Do you see what Puckguru's looking at?---

Does Puckguru see what we're looking at? With their little chance, Caps were down by 3 and came back to win.

Posted by: miseaujeu | February 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse