Theodore to start vs. Panthers

Based on the morning skate, it looks like Jose Theodore will get the nod in net tonight at BankAtlantic Center against the suddenly surging Panthers. There will also be a change on the Caps' blue line, with John Erskine coming out and Brian Pothier going back in.

"He had three weeks off," Coach Bruce Boudreau said of Erskine. "I'm sure he's not 100-percent. Players want to play so bad, they fib a little bit about how good they feel."

One area where Boudreau will be looking for improvement is on the penalty kill. While taking bad penalties hasn't helped, Boudreau said the penalty kill unit is not putting nearly enough pressure on the opposing players after they've set up in the Caps' end. He also noted that the Caps' forwards aren't generating enough shorthanded chances, which has allowed the opposition to get comfortable and feel confident.

Boudreau added that his goaltenders have also got to bail out their teammates occasionally with a spectacular save or two while shorthanded.

"We have to be more aggressive," defenseman Mike Green said. "I know when I'm on the power play and guys are on me, it's tough to make a play. If you're forced to make plays quick, you might bobble the puck or something."

Washington's penalty kill dropped to 20th in the league after surrendering two power play goals in Wednesday's loss to New Jersey.

As far as the rest of the Caps' lineup, forward Eric Fehr will be out againt tonight, which means Mathieu Perreault will skate in his second NHL game and Tyler Sloan will suit up as a forward. Also, look for some tweaks to the lines.

While Panthers might not look like a threat right now, they've won three in a row, and according to Coach Peter DeBoer, are starting to get themselves together after getting off to a slow start, caused, in part, by starting the season in Finland.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 6, 2009; 12:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin update: No better, no worse
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Panthers

Comments

Tweeks to the lines? From Coach B? Never happen!

Posted by: Greg S. | November 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I think the usual suspects will shine again tonight, with goals from Semin and hot passes from Backström. The team will score and the outcome will depend on the D and Theo.

Posted by: Snowball98 | November 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Isn't that an understatement!! Mr. Cough-Up-The-Puck-When-Pressured Mike Green.

Cordially,
RBlatch

Posted by: rblatch45 | November 6, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

My prediction will be 3-0 win tonight with the 3rd being an empty netter. On the road they can focus on team D again. Tomorrow they will win 5-2, with the 5th goal being an empty netter.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 6, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

When you are on the PK, the goal is to stop goals...not create chances...

To say you need to be more aggressive is fine...to say you need to try for scoring chances??? Not so much....

Posted by: SA-Town | November 6, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else going to be at the game in Sunrise this evening?

Posted by: thomas20 | November 6, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

rblatch45: You're rediculous. Why can't you and the rest of the Mike Green haters give him a friggin' break after a good game? Yeah, the puck deflected off of him for the 1st goal but that was an absolute fluke. Otherwise the man was everywhere Wednesday night. I'd love for Mike Green to be able to stand over you at work just for one day and point out all of your mistakes. Of course you are probably a fantasy league, PS3, never excelled at a sport person that loves to critique athletes because your high school football team used to pick on you.

He couged up the puck twice this season. Once he had the darn thing roll off his stick while looking up ice. By the way it friggin' happens when you play hockey with skill because skilled players don't stare at the puck. Which is why players like Green, Ovi, and Semin fan at times because they feel the puck on their stick, they don't stare at it. The other was when he lost the puck on the half boards on the only PP the other day. Of course you would remember that rather than his world class rush up ice that resulted in a spectacular save by Broduer, or his other rush up ice when Morrison incorrectly read the pass across, that if he had, he would have slamed the puck in an open net.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 6, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Is his user id, rblatch or R-BIATCH? because he is. if he's asking. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 6, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Fanohock1
Well said my friend!! Green is an outstanding player, it's people who don't truly know hockey who critique players.. Just like Shultz who has a + 6 which is second best among our D only behind Jurcina

Posted by: CapsBaby | November 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Dear Fanohock1 :
You know nothing about me so I would suggest you not fabricate immature generalizations about my experiences.

And in return I will not fabricate any about your immature response.

Cordially,
RBlatch

Posted by: rblatch45 | November 6, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock,
I have to agree with everything you said. I have said it myself to no avail. Can I also say that I don't put the penalties on Semin to the extent that he is receiving on other sites. The first slashing penalty was ticky tack, the second one that resulted in the PP goal was a penalty but he was forechecking hard around the net trying to make something happen. Which is what great players do when another great player is out. And it doesn't always work out, he should relax and just play his game, but at least it was an effort penalty and not a lazy one from not keeping up with his man on the backcheck. And the third one he had his stick on the ice the entire time and the guy tripped over it. He established that area of the ice as his, he didn't swing into the guys skates. Shouldn't have been a call especially when we were getting all the calls against in the 3rd period. Like it or not penalties like that are not called when the calls have been in the other teams favor, fair or not that's been hockey for a while.

Posted by: GreenerLife | November 6, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

And I'm not blaming the penalties for the loss, we should have put it out of reach before then so we can't complain, I'm just defending Semin. And I forgot to mention that I thought Varly was matching Brodour save for save until that PP goal over his glove. Other than that his glove was very solid and he was great. He can put complete games together, he needs experience and a team in front of him that doesn't allow 50% of the shots against to happen in the third period. I gained any confidence I might have lost back, which wasn't much if any.

Posted by: GreenerLife | November 6, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

And Let's Go Theo. Shut em out

Posted by: GreenerLife | November 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

And Let's Go Theo. Shut em out

Posted by: GreenerLife | November 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

ANY PENALTY WITH THE STICK IS A RESULT OF BAD POSITIONING OR LAZY PLAY. Semins hooks are stupid. Get in front and stop the guy. You don't need to lay them out, but ride a guy into the post, the boards, anything. STICK ON STICK BODY ON BODY. The caps forwards all suck at playing one on one positional D. Semins stupid little trip/interference was a high school crap play. He did it on purpose and you establish postion within the frame of your body-STICKS DO NOT ESTABLISH POSITION. SEMIN needs to grow up or pack. These guys remind of the Jags team under Cassidy-> lazy, uninspired but like to score.
Play with passion!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 6, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey everybody! I'm back on regularly. Just wanted to say how great it is being a Caps fan these days. Man, I remember in the old days this team was in LAST place some times. Now THAT sucked. But we stuck with 'em and now we can brag! I love it! We're 3rd(2nd) in the East and 6th over all! This is heaven. Some people complain about losing a few and blowin a power play or two or seeing a bad goal or having a bad PK... blah blah blah. EVERY OTHER team in the league does it! Bottom line is the Caps are one of the best in the league and we should be undyingly grateful! Thanks Caps! Keep up the entertaining hockey. It's been a tremendous journey! See you all in E-town in December!

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | November 6, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Well said, edmontoncapsfan. While I admire your pluck and positive attitude, I have to warn you the rest of the posters will find a way to turn that smile of yours upside down since they don't understand what it means to think positive. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 6, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Fehr is a waste.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 6, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

(from previous thread...)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around back-to-back games with the same team. From a business perspective, you kinda' lose out, don't you? If I were a player, I'd find it a little hard to play with the same enthusiasm for both.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 6, 2009 1:04 PM

"Home-and-home" games are a remnant left over from the early days of the League when you'd have, say, the Habs take a train to Boston for a Friday game, and then they and the Bruins take a train together (albeit in separate cars, probably a good thing after a contentious contest haha) back to Montreal for a Saturday tilt. I've always looked forward to the back half of the set as whatever animosities developed in the first game tend to boil over. I remember lots of nastiness in the 80's when the Caps would play their Patrick Division rivals back-to-back, always great games. Sadly, there's not so many "home-and-homes" now with the complexities of making a schedule for 30 teams.

However, it's still relatively common in the minor leagues, though at times it may take the form of an "away-away". Take a look at the Bears sched ( http://www.hersheybears.com/game_day/schedule.php?m=1&y=2010 ) and you'll see them flying to Winnipeg in January to play the Manitoba Moose twice in 2 days, and the Moose heading to Hershey for a weekend set a couple of weeks later. The financial realities of travel in the minor leagues can dictate that teams play a couple of games in a row in far away cities to keep costs down.

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | November 6, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

They have internet in Edmonton? Man things change...

Posted by: SA-Town | November 6, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

You're telling me he's only given up the puck TWICE this season??? What are you smoking? Green is overrated. For me, it seems that his best games are when you don't hear about him, which means he didn't screw up or lose the puck. That seldom happens.

I thought you were leaving for good? Why did you get my hopes up? For all the times you've criticized others for immature comments, the comment you made towards rblatch45 was completely immature and childish.

Posted by: JD09 | November 6, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@cadlecreek
Wow man, just watch the play, well first chill out for a sec, enough with the capital letters i can read lowercase. Semin was coming around the net and trying to pokeckeck the puck so he could make something happen on the forecheck. And is a slash a result of bad positioning. Not always, there are always exceptions, and with hockey generally offensive zone penalties aren't of the lazy, didn't get correct positioning variety, but of the trying to make a play on the forecheck kind. Because they aren't a threat to score so you don't need to save face from being out of position or lazy, you have plenty of time to catch up before the offensive zone. And he was playing with passion, that's why he committed the penalty. It wasn't smart but it wasn't lazy either, he needs to realize that he doesn't need to do it all at that point in the game. And I think that the majority of the time with him the good far outweighs the bad. And how many times in the playoffs did he get a stupid penalty that hurt us. I can't remember any, because they don't call that ticky tack garbage in the playoffs, well for the most part. And he did establish the position with his body, I was just making the point that he didn't swing his stick into the guys skates. He had his stick stationary and he didn't move towards the guy. I don't want to get into it with you or anybody else, just enjoy hating the season, you aren't ever going to be happy because you want perfection from every player all the time, get over it and enjoy the games.

Posted by: GreenerLife | November 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

They really need to get a new 4 million dollar man who CAN PLAY to be on the ice instead of the head game going on now with Nylander. It's good experience for our Hershey trainees, but would be better if the paid talent showed up and had a chance to GET TO WORK. Don't blame Nylander for the no trade clause - GMGM signed the contract too.

Posted by: dogdaze | November 6, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

WOOO, where's chickenLittle now?

Posted by: superpaqman | November 6, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

JD09: Headline, because JD09 states that Green is overrated, he is overrated. The fact that hockey experts rave about his skill means nothing. I am quite sure that rblatch45 doesn't need you to defend him/her. I will stay here just to haunt you.

Green was a stud last game. He can't go a game without someone complaining about his losing the puck because too many people disect the games rather than enjoy them. On NHL Network yesterday they talked more about how much of a world class move Nash made rather than Green being a pylon. It depends which point of view you are watching games. Rather than say Green choked the group I was with were in awe with the move.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 6, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Yea, fanohock1! Great to read your posts again. Dont let the Green haters get to you. Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 6, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

No matter what you say about Green the fact remains that he does not play his position well. Green is out of position way too often, especially in the defensive zone. He needs to work on his gap control and moving his feet, stop being lazy in his own zone. Yes, Green is a fantastic skater (when he has the puck), but as a defenseman your positioning away from the puck is most critical. As to the Semin penalties, yes they can be called lazy penalties, if he kept his stick on the ice during the forecheck he wouldn't take the penalties, which are particularly bad because they occur in the offensive zone. However, the officials were pretty bad in New Jersey, you don't make that call on BMO with five minutes left in a one goal game, you just don't. These obstruction penalties have ruined the game, every time a guy goes to forecheck he has to worry about taking a bad penalty, which completely changes the dynamic of play. But I guess it is what it is. In my opinion the caps have not played a complete 60 minutes all year, until they do the caps cannot be considered a legitimate contender. I know they will, just need to work out the kinks and get on track.

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 6, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Not defending him/her, just saying that you're simply a hypocrite.

Yes, you can defend him with that ONE incident, which was a good move. I'm talking overall play for the last 15 games. But, I'm not going to change your opinion and you're not going to change mine. The Green debate exhausts me.

I'm glad you're back. You make the comments "interesting". I'm usually mute until I come across your comments, so you make me active.

Posted by: JD09 | November 6, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan:
Haha! Thanks - I think! I shall endeavor to keep my attitude positive despite the many attempts to disuade me! I look forward to being the voice of reason. Perhaps I'm biting off more than I can chew?? hehe Go Caps!

@SA-Town:
VERY funny! Actually it was, I laugh. YES , we DO have internet up here. And we DON'T live in Igloo's! BTW, where is SA-Town anyway? I see you as quite regular on this blog so I won't start any rifts with you... being a fellow Caps fan and all. Now zip it! hehe...

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | November 6, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see so much love between the posters here.

The Caps have a really, really good team. To a man, they need to want to win, and they need to play with fire and passion. When they've done that in the recent past (Ovi or no Ovi), they've flat-out dominated. It's early in a long season. I personally think that by February, this team will be winning 8 out of 10 games consistently.

Posted by: sca187 | November 6, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

OH NO more Green bashers! OH NO that's what happens when you are held without a point for the first time in 9 games. OH NO Norris Trophy nomination has rubbed off. OH NO top ten in ice time per games. OH NO better plus/minus that Phaeneuf and plays more minutes. OH NO...

Posted by: ChickenLittleCapsFan | November 6, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to see a trade for a #1 stay-at-home defenseman who made the opposition fear going to the Caps' net, but we will probably not see that this year... Our current defensemen are mostly young guys who may have been rushed to the NHL too quickly. They are doing well, but the beauty of it is that they all have a good amount of upside - Green included.

Posted by: sca187 | November 6, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The Caps should trade Green for Bob Rouse and use Semin to pick up Dino.

Posted by: HeShootsHeScores | November 6, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

BTW, you gotta love chicken little...

Posted by: sca187 | November 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Does Tarik read or respond to any inquiries on this blog or is it better to e-mail him?

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | November 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Why are Ovi's skates yellow? Why is Ovi's original number not number 8? Tarik, you're a bad reporter.

Posted by: MNMNT | November 6, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town = South Arlington

I can spit to the Verizon Center..

Posted by: SA-Town | November 6, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Kewl! You must be a STH?

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | November 6, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

(((>.<))) (squinchy-eyes!) All this arguing back and forth gives me a headache and a HALF! Jeeez, people!

The important thing, and the one we can all agree on, is pretty simple:

LET'S GO, CAPS!!!

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@edmontoncapsfan - Tarik and Katie both respond when addressed directly.

@Tarik - Enquiring minds are driving me mad: why yellow skate laces? Why not purple with green polka-dots?

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

BTW, you gotta love chicken little...

Posted by: sca187

yes you do.

if you like chicken little - you'd also like WhyGo - but it seems whygo has went

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Has GMGM given up on an enforcer to add some protection? If not he need not look any further that New Mexico State...

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | November 6, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks irock.

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | November 6, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

JFK, Loc-Ness Monster, Stonehenge, Ovie laces....

We will never know...

Posted by: SA-Town | November 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

baaaaaaaaaaaahahaha

Posted by: MNMNT | November 6, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

What's going on w/ Nylander?

If the KHL isn't biting, they should just let him play.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | November 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

2 tix- section 415 - mezz center
$60 for the pair. ralph.macchio@gmail.com
must meet in Crystal City before 6:30.

Posted by: ralph4100 | November 6, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

2 tix for caps panthers tomorrow night
section 415 - mezz center
$60 for the pair. must meet in Crystal City before 6:30.
ralph.macchio@gmail.com

Posted by: ralph4100 | November 6, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@Hatfield223 - TWEEEEEET!!!!! I'm sorry, but under section 96, paragraph 12, subsection b of the unofficial, unwritten rules, I must send you to the penalty box.

Why?

Two minutes for mentioning Michael ("No Movement Clause") Nylander on a game day when we have more important topics to hash.

Like the color of Ovechkin's underpants.

;-)

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

On the PK, I just want more of what Knuble did in that PK shift against the NYI. He turned the momentum in our favor by working hard in the corners and we scored two straight goals after that to go from trailing to leading. Granted, we gave up that lead by taking dumb penalties, but that shift is what all PK players should strive for.

Posted by: Raber | November 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, why is Nylander scratched again? Why don't we just send him to Hershey or trade him?

Is Ovie playing tonight? And why wont they tell us exactly what his injury is? Where can I get yellow wax for my skate laces?

I have Directv and I am unable to watch games on Versus. Is there something wrong with my tv?

Why does Semin always seem to be in the penalty box?

Why didn't we draft Ryan Getzlaf instead of Eric Fehr?

Why does Mike Green always turn over the puck? When is he going to play better? Why don't we call up Alzner and Carlson?

How is Chris Bourque doing in Hershey? Can't wait to see him get his chance with the Caps! I loved it when his dad finally won the Cup with the Bruins.

Is the game on tv tonight?

Posted by: MrObliviousCapsFan | November 6, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

ChickenLittle and MrObvlivious- LMAO!

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | November 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I may be going out on a limb here...but my prediction is that Mike Green will DIRECTLY cause Three-o to be scored on...for sure 1 time...and maybe 2.

I think the caps will win 5-4...but it will be a struggle and the defense will not disappoint with the typical everyday effort they have been giving all year long.

BTW...Semin will be in the box when the Panthers score to make it 5-4 with 2 minutes left. (I know...huge shocker)

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 6, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have two upper deck tickets for tomorrow nights game? I would pay $60 for them. I live in Crystal City. Thanks.

Posted by: MrObliviousCapsFan | November 6, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

fanohock and chickylittle,
I would be willing to bet rblatch has been watching hockey longer than either of you boys have even been alive. Ive been fulltix seasonholder for 10 years, and even casual fans who know what theyre talking about have noticed that the Mike Green we've been seeing this year so far has been closer to the one who stunk up the playoffs(I know,injury,blah blah blah)than the one who scored all those goals during the regular season. If youve seen any of the games in person, youve been seeing Greenie making lazy rookie mistakes, not hustling back on odd-man rushes- he wants to score,which is fine, but hes also gotta play some friggin D!!
And yes, Rblatch, I have noticed him coughing up the puck as well, on both ends of the ice.

Posted by: peabody2 | November 6, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Peabody....it's nice to see someone on here who hasn't drank the "kool-aid". These fans think the caps can do no wrong...

I love the caps, but if you can't be honest with yourself, who can you be honest with...?

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 6, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

So Mike Green Says:

For $5 freaking million per, you should be able to make the right play quickly more often than not. Every time this guy gets the puck he waits, tees it up and then shoots. In baseball this would be called "tipping the pitch." In poker it would be called "tipping your hand." In hockey its called "If the Goaltender can see it, he can stop it."

You really have to wonder what the deal is with this guy. He's a good player, but for what he gets paid, and especially when you consider that management just coughed it up without a fight, he should be a dominant and smart player as well. And yes I know that during some stretch of the season he'll go on a goal scoring tear and break some more records.

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 6, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If Mike Green was truly a good defensive player, he would've won the Norris last yr considering his gaudy offensive numbers.
Most defensemen who put up his type of numbers usually win the trophy. Only reason he lost was the huge disparity between his offense and his defense.
End of ^$#$ story.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 6, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

by the way, this Caps PK issue has been pointed out for the better part of two years. Why is Boudreau suddenly only getting around to mentioning it NOW ? The Caps PK units have never put a lot of pressure on the point men. They're either overly passive in the box or they're too busy trying some low-percentage high risk play to skate with the puck out only to lose it back without being able to clear it. I swear I've ever seen any team who once they have the puck on their sticks decide NOT to fire it down ice but instead try to skate with it thru traffic. So stupid. Just clear the damn puck when you get your stick on it and leave the low percentage nonsense at home. For every shorty we do score we give em tons of chances on the PP becuase of our dumb decisions.

Just glad Boudreau finally acknowledged his team's PK issues.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 6, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

yawn

Posted by: Sonyask | November 6, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

No one ever slams Green for his "skill" so no need to make a skill argument. The bottom line is that any player in the NHL who scores the way Green does will get accolades from the so-called "experts"
These same "experts" probably don't get to watch Green closely enough to notice his other major shortcomings. They're too busy trying to watch every other team in the league so they can comment on them too.

We know Greenie -- he's a closet forward who at least has finally admitted he needs to improve his defensive game. Maybe that should be enough of a clue to the Green-supporters that he's not some phenomenal defenseman. He's a one dimensional player who can be as brilliant with the puck as he can be careless, lazy and reckless with it. And on the defensive side, he has shown little inkling to be the best he can be. I've seen Mike Green when he's motivated to play D. He's a heckuva player.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 6, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

yawn

Posted by: Sonyask | November 6, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

why are you here? you seem to yawn an awful lot

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 6, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

OK, anyone who doesn't think Mike Green is an elite offensive defenseman is an idiot! And anyone that doesn't think his defensive game couldn't improve is just as much an idiot! There, everyone hates or likes Mike Green, and regardless of which side you're on, you're still a schmuck for not seeing both sides.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | November 6, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the board, MrObliviousCapsFan! Read a few of ChickenLittleCapsFan's posts to help you "catch up".

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 6, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

'could improve'(double negative)!

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | November 6, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Great offensive player? What's he have 10 points? Look, I think he is a good offensive defenseman. He was GREAT last season. Lost it when he signed his big deal.

As far as his defense...terrible. He doesn't care about defense. He says he does but if you watch him play it...it is almost like he is doing it because someone told him to...

Lastly, playing him on the PK is like playing 3 forwards....DO NOT PLAY HIM ON THE PK....

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 6, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton -- I yawn because you're predictable, as are others.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 6, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 -- Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that you have something to contribute here. But to turn every nugget into a negative is tiresome.

I don't react the same to news that Boudreau "finally" is addressing the PK, for instance. What I take from the comments is that the comments finally made it into the paper. It says nothing about what coach says in the locker room, in practice, during the timeouts, watching the game film, etc. In fact, I would trust that BB is addressing the PK on a regular basis, and with some regularity chewing out guys who need it. There's no reason for him to telegraph those comments to the press.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 6, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

When you are on the PK, the goal is to stop goals...not create chances...

Posted by: SA-Town | November 6, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

they MUST create some offensive chances even while shorhanded... great offensive teams in this league have always done that.

notice how easily the Caps have been giving up short-handed chances this year?? it's about time they got some of those chances themselves.

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@ rblatch45

We DO know one thing about you. It's that you don't know much about hockey.

Green is actually incredible at holding on to the puck under pressure. It's just that some people like you only notice when he screws up and don't notice when he makes great plays. He's on the ice for almost 30 min a game so yeah, once in a while he will screw up like any skilled player who's trying to make something happen instead of just throwing the puck off the boards. If you actually had a clue you wouldn't be only noticing his errors. There's a reason Boudreau thinks he's the best D on the team and plays him a ton.

Was the a mature enough response to your immaturely ignorant statement?

Posted by: ranndino | November 6, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@ ranndino

don't bother with those morons who always bash... they're the same MFers who stareted the whoop whoop chant for Larry Murphy.

they barely know the difference between a hockey puck and a basketball.

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

those who bash Green I meant

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Green actually has 13 pts in 15 gms(after a slow start), a little better than GOOD. And everyone knows that defense(while it takes time) can be learned. Offensive abilities like his can't be taught!

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | November 6, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

bahh...im going to the Flyers Sabres game tomight. I live in Niagara Canada. I feel so dirty not seeing my Caps....But it gives my chance to whip out my Bernie Parent Flyers Jersey. My last name is Parent.

Posted by: caps4life2 | November 6, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

brutal spelling...3 beers deep.......

Posted by: caps4life2 | November 6, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

rantdino = d-bag

what, no man love for Varly tonight??

Posted by: doughless | November 6, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@ SinkingCaps

What's with the kool-aid? You must be a Republican d-wad who always says that someone is drinking the kool-aid anytime anyone disagrees with your opinion on anything. I'm sick of this stupid phrase already. Keep it to your Drudge Report comments.

Nobody's drinking any kool-aid! You and people like you are just #@# blind and don't know ##@ about hockey. If you actually had a brain you might think along these lines. If Boudreau, a great pro coach plays Green so much there must be something I'm missing. But no, you're the ultimate authority in everything and know things that apparently Boudreau doesn't. I guess Boudreau is also drinking the kool-aid, eh? Tool.

Posted by: ranndino | November 6, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

On that move that Nash made on Green, my feeling was that the goalie could have poke checked it, like Brodeur often does.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | November 6, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

sinkingcaps, what is your problem? the all-knowing rantdino has spoken. please desist

Posted by: doughless | November 6, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@ doughless

Amazingly insightful reply as always, brainless.

@ joek443

I know this is a waste of my time, but I'm trying to prevent new fans from falling under the influence of these idiots who are constantly bashing our best players and think that a team of 20 Quintin Laings will win a Stanley Cup.

Posted by: ranndino | November 6, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I've seen Mario Lemiuex who's about the same size as Nash make similar moves on Langway and Langway looked just as helpless as Green did on sunday... it's NO big deal!!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

please rantdino, can you continue to educate us hockey morons??????? thanks

Posted by: doughless | November 6, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

@ doughless

The question is rather what is your problem? Aside from boring personal insults and unhealthy obsession with me (which results in you automatically disagreeing with anything I say) and having your tongue deep in cstanton's butt crack you contribute absolutely nothing.

Posted by: ranndino | November 6, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

End of ^$#$ story.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 6, 2009 4:47 PM

The main reason he lost, was beacause Chara had more votes! :)

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 6, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

the caps used to be a team of 20 Quinton Laings for 30 friggin' years... how many cups have those teams won again??????

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I agree with you

Posted by: caps4life2 | November 6, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 thinks Bob Rouse was a better D-man than Larry Murphy, a hall of famer...

so take what he says for what it's worth..

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@Snowball98 & fanohock

I hope your predictions are right. Love your optimism.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

Hope our boy does better. Glad I missed the NJ game. It would have been like watching a video of how our kid got in trouble at school -- all the gory details.

Yes, we like the bad boy, all right. (His penalty minutes had been down -- until last game, and he had one other game with multiple penalties.)

(I'm the reason Cox was down. It was God's plan for me not to see that game.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

also this is 2009, not 1959... 40 years have passed since Robert Gordon "Bobby" Orr changed the role of a defenseman FOREVER.

some people here are still stuck in the 50's

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

The Winner of the game tonight will be representing the Eastern conf. in the Finals......hope they bring their "A" game tonight......

( thought I would stir the pot a lil bit)

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 6, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Drop the puck, already! Here's hoping we can all be celebrating after the game (well, not all--don't want the panther fans to be happy....)

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 6, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

SOS to all Caps Fans...

Tonight's game is supposed to be on Comcast; however, our Guide (in Arlington) indicates that the Wizards are on at 7:30 PM. Anyone know the scoop?

Posted by: Caps16Fan | November 6, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I followed the Caps when they were a team of 20 Quintin Laings. Yes, almost from the beginning. I got to experience every frustration with them

The years when they had Langway, Stevens, Carpenter and Gartner but so-so goaltenders.

There was no Stanley Cup no matter what they did. Or what combination of skill sets they had.

Appreciate you defending Semin. (BTW, we don't usually see Lightshow posting. Obviously, not a regular. Or does he only come out of the woodwork on bad days? He claims to be related to a Russian NHLer.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@caps4life2

Is your name pronounced in the French manner?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@ GreenerLife

This site was pretty hard on Semin after Wednesday also. (As were all other sites.)

And even before Wednesday (when Semin had only had 6 PIM total), it seemed that Semin had become the new whipping boy for Caps fans and bloggers instead of Schultz. (The "Storming the Crease" blogger has pretty much had a daily rant about Semin. He ranted about Semin after the Detroit game, I do believe, and after that, usually would link to that particular rant. The blogger has many good insights and links to other writers, otherwise, but he really detests Alexander Valerievich Semin.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

@ GreenerLife

People were ready to

1) Trade Semin for a bag of pucks

2) Healthy scratch him for tonight and play Nylander in his place

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Lines people, lines. I am dying to know tonight's lineup. I bet he (BB) will change things around but who will be on the first line? Will he keep Fleischman in it?

Two guesses for the first line:

Fleischman Backstrom Semin
or
Fleischman Backstrom Knuble

Posted by: caraveli | November 6, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Semin had ONLY 6 PIM last game? How many would be too many for a finesse forward? 10?

It's time for Semin, Backstom, and Green to step up. It's beginning to look like Ovi is underpaid, considering what he means to the team.

Posted by: zmega | November 6, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

I bet it will be Flash on first line; Semin on the second line. Flash is ahead of Semin on the Caps depth chart at the moment.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Well gang, it's 2003 again, the days before Ovi.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75: The perks of being on the West Coast is not being able to see our boy when he makes his mistakes. I shudder to imagine some of the other posters as parents when their kids make mistakes. Mistakes will happen. Does it justify disowning them and calling for their execution? No. I give Semin and all our players the liberty to make them because if they didn't know wtf they're doing on the ice, I'D be the one playing ice hockey and not them. So, sh*t happens, people. Stop yelling at your tv - they can't hear you. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 6, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Semin has 15 points already though. I wonder if he historically does better on the first or second line?

Posted by: caraveli | November 6, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

These guys are not our kids. They are professional athletes. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to play as such, particularly the higher paid ones.

Posted by: zmega | November 6, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

My bet, is that some of our "ranters" don't have kids. Many of the more "reasonable" posters, like CaptainKirkinAZ and FanOHock do have kids. Kirk has kids -- think his are near the age of Semin. Fanohock's kids are close to the age of this year's prospects.

(Of course, I'm the person with a now grown kid who's a lot like Alex Semin.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, what do you all think about Green's play so far this year?

Who's starting in goal tonight?

Posted by: MrObliviousCapsFan | November 6, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, anyone know if Erskine is playing tonight?

Posted by: MrObliviousCapsFan | November 6, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

SOS to all Caps Fans...

Posted by: Caps16Fan |

It's on CSN+. I have RCN in DC, so that means channel 371 which stinks, because it's not in HD.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 6, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse