Theodore Gets Start Vs. Pens

Although Coach Boudreau would not announce a starter for tomorrow night's game, I'm hearing it's going to be Jose Theodore.

Some other notes and quotes from this morning:

*Boudreau said Brashear is day-to-day and remains questionable for tomorrow's game. "We'll see how he is tomorrow," Boudreau said. "Those things have a tendency to heal in a hurry."

*As for putting Fedorov back up front, Boudreau would only say he had his reasons but would not share them.

"We love what he's done in the two games he's played defense," Boudreau said, referring to the one preseason game in which Fedorov skated on the blue line. "We'll revisit it - maybe on a daily basis. We don't know."

*The team still won't say what's wrong with Kozlov, but I saw him from a distance this morning and he was wearing a brace on his left knee and walking with a limp.

*After being a healthy scratch in the first three games, the stakes are pretty high for Fehr, who is going to play right wing with Fedorov and Fleischmann.

"I want to take this opportunity to get in there and show what I can do," Fehr said. "It's not any pressure, but I definitely want to perform. I don't want to play out of myself, but I need to score a few, and if I do that, that would be great."

Good attitude, if you ask me.

*As for Clark on the top line instead of Kozlov, Boudreau said: "It changes [the chemistry]. But [Ovechkin and Clark] have played together before and they enjoy playing with each other. But Clarkie is more of a crash-banger. I don't want him handling the puck as much as Viktor Kozlov. That's the difference. Clark would rather go to the net and do the dirty work."

*On Ovechkin and Backstrom, Boudreau said he talked to Backstrom about not always looking for the highlight reel pass.

"It's only a matter of time before him and Alex start scoring," Boudreau said. "I told Nick today that you guys are trying to set each other up too much, instead of just being yourselves and playing the game that comes natural to you."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 15, 2008; 12:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fedorov Playing Center; Brashear Not Practicing
Next: Brashear, Pens' Cooke Out (Updated)

Comments

Good call (umm, I'm #1)

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Doesnt matter since we like to hold the opponents to 3 shots in the first 2 periods.

Posted by: Erskine in Net | October 15, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

We dont even need a goalie. Just go six attackers all game.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

With all respect to Greg S., "we are doomed" :-) Sorry, won't say it again.

Posted by: Dave King | October 15, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind rotating the goaltenders but I have a feeling it's Brent's year. He's going to be unreal.

Posted by: Capies | October 15, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov tried all the positions from Kama Sutra except goalie. Can he surprise Pens?

Posted by: Dave King | October 15, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Well if Jose doesnt step up his game I say let Brent have a shot at #1.

Posted by: TJ | October 15, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I like that last interview from ice with Brent. He basically said "we'll see who's gonna be number 1". Good attitude, maybe it is the year for him.

Posted by: Dave King | October 15, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

From last post

Kenwood
Rosa's may be a lot of things, but what it is not is Mexican.

Truth
There are very few places to sit in the lower bowl that are good for watching the game on the ice. Good for watching individual players, but not the game. The best seats in the house are club level but Abe owns those and I refuse to give him more than what I spend on something to drink. That leaves the 400 level for those who actually understand the game of hockey and like to watch the play develope on the ice. Speed and power of individual players is cool once in a while but I would not trade my seats up high for seats near the glass and since I have been a season ticket holder more than 10 years I have had many offers to move at significant discounts to what others have been paying for the same seats. Dont want to move. BTW FFS has a point grow up and you will get more respect.

Posted by: Bob | October 15, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

BJ has had his shot at #1 if I remember he said no thanks, not good enough. Goalie adventures all year probably

Posted by: Bob | October 15, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree it's Brent's year. Theo was a bonehead move by George but hey he is entitled to one or two a year right? Hard to be wrong when you have the best player in hockey on your team.

Rosa's is a fine restaurant and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The women are fine but the Kozzy lovers don't care. Anita's is low rent but good food. If you want to hang out with the big dogs go to Rosa's. There you will meet many of the fans who sit in the 100's.

Wait wait what about the Green Turtle? Bet you you don't find too many Kozzy fans there. Whoa nelly that would be scary.

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Stop feeding the trolls, guys. Best way to make them shoo.

Posted by: Jordan | October 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope whoever is in goal will be kind enough to stop the first shot. If the Caps play like the last 5 periods, anyone can play goal.

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

They gave Jose a 2-yr deal, both of these guys are biding their time until 2 of the 3 Goalies in Hershey are ready.

Alternate them for the 1st month or so, and who ever comes out with the better record/play, give him 2 out of 3 starts.

Posted by: CantMissKid | October 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave King | October 15, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I would have set my sights on Ellis with option two being Khabby when Huet signed with the Hawks. But I guess the one year price tag of 7 mil was too much. Now you got two years at 8 mil for a guy who is very shaky. BTW Huet let in two goals on a shootout to the Preds the other night and lost.

Posted by: agp1962 | October 15, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

yeah, who's gonna fight Godard Thursday if Brashear is hurt? We have no choice, but Erskine will have to be in the squad... Frankly, I don't want to be Erskine if it'll happen...

Posted by: Dave King "We need Erskine" | October 15, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

okay now I'm told to grow up because my hockey sense is spot on. hey dude can I loan you a pair of binoculars? Hey nuttin against the 400's without them we wouldn't have the rah rah pitch. The 400's are very important to the current Caps' ground swell. I once sat up in the 400's and my mom hated it. I don't want my mommy subjected to the zoo. Don't get me wrong the Zoo is important and as a Caps fan I drink budwiser just like the Zoo. The Zoo likes Kozzy can't help but point that out.

I have AC/DC in the 200's so I am happy. That's all that counts.

Hey the 401ks aint looking to bad today. Must be option expiration week.

Posted by: The Zookeeper | October 15, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Anyone planning on going to either of the Bears games this weekend?

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

sorry Jim I can't make it I'm going to be in a cabin in West Virginia drinking scotch.

Hey what do Theo and Kozzy have in common?

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik or anyone else..

How big of a deal is it for Bruce to keep things quiet about Feds at C or D?

I would think for the other team, they might prepare a little differently. In my opinion it really does lean toward two different strategies.

I think Feds will be on D against quick forechecking teams, and C against the rest.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 15, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I had almost forgotten about this website, but a great place for highlights (not just goals) after each caps game.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 15, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Ovie is on pace to score 55 goals. It is only a matter of time.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Lunch break must be over eveyone is back to work.

Oh oh it looks like I covered the things that Tarik was going to tell us all. Me me spot on. (1) Fehr under the micoscope - me thinks George is on this one and (2) comment on the OV/Clark relationship and (3) Kozzy going to be out a lot longer which should give George and Voodoo much time to evaluate for future trades.

You wonder what I know. Know this Theo's play tonight will be a big topic of discussion tomorrow and Kozzy will not come up.

Me me spot on -- uncanny isn't it?

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The real truth is he goes to the games with mommy, lives with mommy, does what mommy tells him, and if mommy found out he was being naughty on the Internet she would take his little puter away!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Now SA-town has a great point. Any accounts out there know how to work this so the opposing team doesn't know right up until game time? Kind of like having home ice advantage every game. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Truth drinks beer with mommy, what else does he do with mommy? You've been a bad little boy TBT, mommy going to have to spank you now, real hard! TBT likes it when mommy spanks him hard!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I love mommy more than Kozzy that I know. Now how spot on was I this morning. Tarik was reading my posts and got the ideas from me. I missed Backstrum but can't get them all.

Ut oh there goes the 401k again. Don't look now.

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Anon at 12:56, you know Green is on pace for 82, so yea it's only a matter of time. Now that I got that out of the way, Tarik can you ask Boudreau if he can call that third line the F-Troop?

Posted by: AP | October 15, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

somehow I don't think Tarik will be covering the issue of Malkin playing soft. Just not an intelligent thougt process and would absolutely make no hockey sense. You boys agree?

Now Thoe hanging out there is another story we will have to see. What if he stands on his head? Do we get all emotional and say he is THE Goalie? What do we hockey fans say?

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey JIM, I'll be at the game against Wilkes-Barre on the 19th

Posted by: AP | October 15, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

All time Caps lineup

Ovechkin/Pivonka/Bondra
Maruk/Hunter/Gartner
Caprenter/Ridley/Gustafsson
K.Miller/Haworth/Duchesne

Langway/Stevens
Johansson/Hatcher
Murphy/Gonchar

Kolzig/?Peeters?

Posted by: JSchon | October 15, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

hahaha Ohh man, F-troop is now that line's official name. GREAT call on that one.

Posted by: Jordan | October 15, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey i got Kozzy on pace for 6. Not the lucky 7 but 6 penalty minutes all year.
Now I got him to score 6 1/2 all year. How's that for my trusty accountants? Too complex?

I'm just trying to inject a little humor in your boring workday. Hey is that your boss looking over your shoulder?

You can't take yourself too seriously. Rosa's is still good and don't look now but the 401ks are getting creamed.

Posted by: me me spot on | October 15, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

No love for Kono?

Posted by: Jordan | October 15, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey AP, do you tickets already or do you plan on getting them at the gate? I'm thinking about buying the $10 tics for the sections 210 or 211. I also noticied the Giant $4 discount, so $16 goes to $12. I don't want to pay ticketmaster the extra $5 per ticket to buy online. On a budget in this economy, ya know. Think that there'll be any trouble getting tics at the gate?

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

And don't forget the all-time healthy scratches of Mike Eagles and Quintin Laing.

Posted by: Jordan | October 15, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

JSchon

Looks good but don't forget Dave Christian...I am not sure where I would put him but he scored a lot of goals for the Caps in the 80s.

Posted by: MikeR | October 15, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I actually already got my tickets already, unfortunately I don't really know anything about what the gate is like up there, I'm a VA native and this'll be my first trip up to Hershey. Sorry I can't be of any help, where's bearswoohoo when you need him...

Posted by: AP | October 15, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@Truth

haha what's uncanny is that you're trying to take credit for parroting what had also been said by just about every person who comments here.

Fehr under a microscope in his first full season back from injury? Duh

Clark and Kozlov play differenly and that impacts the OV line? Duh. That was included in FFS's defense of Kozlov

Kozlov may be out longer that two weeks? How many times do people joke about GMGM and his "day to day" status of Clark all last seaosn?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 15, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

and Malkin didn't look soft last night, he looked slow. He still ran over people but he didn't blow by anybody or show any explosiveness. Now hopefully he doesn't make me eat my words tomorrow.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 15, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

how do you not have jason doig on defense for all-time caps? I know Dino only played for us for like 2 or 3 seasons but he was awesome

Posted by: stevo | October 15, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

AP -- I live in Lancaster, PA (DC expatriot) nowadays, so I usually buy at the gate -- not sure how close to the openning how hard getting tickets will be. If you want to let me know where you'll be, I'll say hi. Maybe buy you a frosty beverage.

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Where is Craig Laughlin?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero

Tank treads!

Posted by: Jordan | October 15, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

where's adam oates on that list?

Posted by: mbr | October 15, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Sombreo -- no no it's the timing of my comments that is uncanny. Hey I show up two days ago and me me spot on. I don't post ad nasuem day in a day out (good for you guys) like you guys. I'm not dissing your participation and that of others and I don't blame you for being bored at work. It happens. I just don't post everyday. The fact that your are a hockey fan makes me happy!

Hey Jimbob -- I was just up partying with the Amish and coverting looking for those aweful puppy mills to rat out that you have up there. Bad bad bad. Spent time in Dutch Wonderland. Thinking maybe we need a Kozzy ride?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombero Guy -- did you have to feed the troll?

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey no one commented on my suggestion we look at Corry Perry. Yes he does play in the NHL and yes he would cost us 5 mil a year but our trusty accounts can figure out how to get him in through funny accounting tricks. In the interest of full disclosure I'm not sure the Ducks will let him go.

Hye maybe they will take Fehr and Theo and Fleshman and...

Quack quack

Posted by: 401K Kaboom | October 15, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Sounds good, I'll be somewhere in the lower bowl, I lucked out and got a hockey weekend as my birthday present from the little lady this year. She's still holding onto the tickets so I'm kinda in the dark, but if I find out I'll let you know.

Posted by: AP | October 15, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jimbob -- the funny thing is I'm not a troll. and the funnier thing is you fed me first. What possessed you to feed me and why?

Ut oh look at your screens that market is crashing...

Posted by: 401K Kaboom | October 15, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Saturdays dilemma- Caps against the Devils or the Bears home opener. If the Caps weren't playing at home, I would be on the road to Hershey. The Giant Center crowd is fun to be part of, especially when the Bears are on their game (which should be a lot of the time this year).

Posted by: Mark | October 15, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

AP -- If I go to the Sunday game, I'll see if I can look you up. Speaking of little ladies, I have to see which game my wife prefers.

Mark -- If I had tickets, yes, Caps-Devils over Hershey-Baby Pens

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

A big troll day today.

Posted by: C-Way | October 15, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

hey come on guys it's break time the boss ain't looking.

Let's talk real hockey like Clark is going bye bye too! We know that right or has that been talked about on the thread?

Posted by: 401k kaboom | October 15, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I heard ovechsky is going back to germany to play

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Jim
What is the Giant $10 discount, where does one find that?

Posted by: Bob | October 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

JSchon,

I couldn't watch that team, they'd be whooped to death in the stands.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I like Clarkie back on the first line. I bet their scoring goes way the heck up with him up there. He's so useful on any line.

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | October 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

...and I'm lucky enough to live in a dry county like Lancaster. Silly me why did I move there? What was I thinking? I'm scotchish not amish.

Posted by: 401k Kaboom | October 15, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Bob,
There is a Giant grocery chain up in the Hershey area that is not related to the one down here apparently. They usually have coupons for Hershey Park and I wouldn't be surpised if they have something for the Bears.

Posted by: Mark | October 15, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey did you get the news -- margin calls on alot of Club owners. Maybe we don't have a season next year. Doesn't matter our great Kozzy won't be here regardless.

No 401K and no hockey. What is a good man to do.

Posted by: 401K Kaboom | October 15, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon,

Assume you mean Kelly Miller and not Kip.

Robert Lang was leading the league in goals when he got traded. Better center than Ridley, IMHO.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 15, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Serious question -- where is Feds going to get the loan to pay off his debt? Well we know it is actually a 1-year extension. Like mos tof us he will be working awhile longer me thinks.

Me me spot on

Extension to be announced sometime this season probably around Feb or so. Don't worry Tarik will cover this sometime this season.

Posted by: 401k Kaboom | October 15, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Jschon

Beaupre in goal, maybe Jim Carey?

What about my boy Ivan Labre? Retired his number and he gets no love.

Did someone call the 400's "The Zoo"?

And about Theo, Has anyone noticed that goaltenders all over are having trouble keeping the puck out of the net? I think the reason is its early in the season and d-men are getting acclaimated, the Offense is trying to gain chemistry. Theo looked great in the last 2 periods of the Chicago game. I think he will build on that game and everyone will be eating their words on Johnny being number 1.

Posted by: 94 | October 15, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I said this all summer but Fedorov centering Flash and Fehr is gonna be great....his crisp passing can set those 2 snipers up.

Posted by: capsfan98 | October 15, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Jim- I would not trust waiting until the game to purchase tickets if I was you I would make a trip to the box office to get tickets beforehand.usually opening night sells out and with a roster like this I would be surpried if it didn't sell out.

Posted by: Chad | October 15, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

To those wondering about Bears tickets:

Chad is right--opening night usually sells out. Even on a regular Sat the lower bowl is pretty full. DON'T get tickets from Ticketmaster. Call the box office at 717-508-BEAR and then pick them up at will-call. The only Giant discount I know of is a buck or two off if you have a Giant grocery card. But while you are at the game pick up a pocket schedule because there are discount coupons on there for future games.

Posted by: tess | October 15, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@C-Way

More than usual, thats for sure. Its probably all Pens 'fans', seeing as how we play them tomorrow night.

Posted by: captnclark | October 15, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to send some love to the Caps from the home of the #1 College Football team in the nation. (Hook 'em Horns.) I'm trying to educate Texans on Ovie, Nick, Federov, and the ways of the Puck. We're going to lift a couple of Shiners to Ovie and company tomorrow and, if things go as they normally do, I'll be able to teach everyone about Penguin dives and Pittsburgh cries.

Posted by: Austin, TX | October 15, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

They need to rest Kozlov and Brashear and make damnsure they're both healthy before they put them back on the ice in a game. If Kozzy's mucked his knee up, he could be out for two weeks, or it could be a lot longer. Let's hope it's nothing serious. Ditto with Brash's punchin' hand!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 15, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder how many Pens fans are going to try and say that Brash being hurt is his way of "ducking" their toughguy

Posted by: AP | October 15, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Who is Ivan Labre? The Capitals have retired number #7 Yvon Labre. I doubt Theodore lasts 1 period against Pittsburgh before getting pulled.

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | October 15, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Kozzy out for at least a month. A little birdie informed me. Trust me I know. Get use to it Kozzy lovers. Whew what more do I have to say.

Must be end of the day get away with posting during work hour cause boss left early to shop or play golf.

How do I know?

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Rest Kozzy? No no ship him out West where the softies play and he can go get em in the corners. Trust me I know he can extend his career out of the rough and tough Eastern Conference. That will make all the Kozzy lovers happy I'm sure.

Trust me

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Brash doesn't need to duck Godard if I remember correctly. Erskine might, I can't remember how he does against him. I think at one time they may have been on the same Islander team.

The Caps can pull out a win if they play like they did on monday night. They gotta establish the forecheck against Pitt's D and steal 2 points from the defending Eastern Conference champs early in the season. It'll be a good test to see where they stand.

Posted by: Graham | October 15, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

See the way I look it -- you know the forest scenario I laid out this morning - is that his pain threshold is not that high to see him back in 2 weeks. Okay now that I am right again let's discuss the contract year issue. Oh that is too obvious Truth you silly guy. You'r trying to pull the wool...

hey you have to admit it is a good way to pass the time on a boring job eh?

Posted by: Truth Be Told | October 15, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Which game looks to be the best tonight? Would like to see the Rangers get taken down by the slugs, but Bruins/Frogs is an interesting game as well.

Posted by: Bob | October 15, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Interesting note from Monday night. It seems the 6-goal-free-food giveway is gone. There was no Austin Grill announcement, no pizza announcement... nothing....

What are we supposed to yell when we get 5 goals?

I've got a call into my STH to get the lowdown on this depressing ordeal. They just built a Austin Grille near my house in Centreville! The only reason I went in there when they opened was to sample the wings to see if they were worth the 6 goals.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 15, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to comment on the seat snobs. My wife, my young son, and I have been sitting in sction 423 for a couple of seasons now with no issues (exceptions to come later). I agree with those that state that the view from above is the best for seeing the plays develop. Verizon Center has good sight lines from the corners. I chose 423 because as a former defenseman in my Navy days, I'm used to seeing the game from that angle.

Anyway, with the exception of when any team from Pennsylvania is visiting, we have never had any problem with the environment. Occassionally I've asked the guy behind me to cut down on the foul language and he does (you know who you are. Good guy, but I swear he has hockey tourettes sometimes). There is fairly diverse group regularly in 423. It is only a zoo when the penguins and Flyers fans are in. I can't speak to other sections in the 400s.

My hope is that with the increased season ticket base the local fans that support theother team and those that travel from out of town will be less. It would be even better if the fans from and supporters of the Penn teams would realize that they are not a part of the contest and not be confrontational with those that simply want to cheer for their team and not against the Caps fans. Last season a Pens fan got into the face of my 7 year old son and it was so hard to not give him an express trip to the 100s. The same about cheering for your team and not against the other team could be said toward some Caps fans as well.

Posted by: Caps 423 | October 15, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 15, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

All time Caps lineup - TAKE 2

Carpenter/Walter/Gartner
Ovechkin/Gustafsson/Bondra
Christian/Maruk/Haworth
Ridley/Hunter/K.Miller

Murphy/Stevens
Johansson/Labre
Langway/Gonchar

Kolzig/Low/Jensen

Posted by: CantMissKid | October 15, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@FFS:

I speak for more than a couple of us when I say keep us posted on this. I'm near that Austin Grille myself.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 15, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I watched most of the Pitt/Philly game last night and I have to say that I am unimpressed with those teams. Crysby and Malkin look like they have to carry this team because beside Sykora and maybe Duprius, their wingers are garbage. Staal is way overrated.

Philly's defense were garbage last night also. Eminger looked like the Eminger I remember, short choppy skating, falling all over the place and being abused in the corners. I also noticed that Richards looked horrible also, every time he tried to pass he flubbed. If it wasn't for the Philly goalie (not gonna try to spell it), that game could have gotten out of hand.

Overall, I see us, Montreal, and I hate to say it, the Rangers as the early powers in the East. Tonights Montreal/Boston game should be interesting and tomorrow for us is a great early season test.

Prediction: OV absolutely shines in the game, Greenie continues to put in PP goals, and the FFF line is the best line for both teams.

Posted by: 94 | October 15, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

My seats are in 404. I love the view from there, but think its fun to sit down low from time to time when the opportunity arises. In terms of being able to see the whole ice the uppers are fine by me.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 15, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

The Zoo nothing more nothing less. I've sat everywhere and my favorite is Section 110. The fans are great and you see very few opposing fans. They could be a little louder but hey that might be asking for trouble. the price is steep but that is the price to pay for not having invested in the 401K hoax.

Now you see why my mommy hates the Zoo seats. From 400 to 100 is a pretty steep drop that may be worth the admission. Hang in there the better we get (after getting rid of Kozzy and Theo and the Fehr experiment) we will see more and more of our fans then the 95 corridor zoo animals.

Well only if the economy gets better.

Posted by: 401K Kaboom | October 15, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Where did Jar Jar Binks go?

Posted by: MNMNT | October 15, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sombero --

You should go to game with me dude we would have alot to talk about.

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

FFS Enough, maybe Austin Grill took a look at the projected lineup, checked the ticket sales, did some math and said "I don't think there are enough chickens in the world to fill the wing orders" and decided to can it this year.

Posted by: tallbear | October 15, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh look MNMNT's boss is gone and he is back. Hope you had a good day and getting ready for the Deadsox game tomorrow night. Might be tough to keep focused on the day job eh?

Posted by: truth be told | October 15, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Is he gone yet?

Posted by: kenwood | October 15, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Mesa hating crunchin. Dats da last ting mesa wantin."

"Mesa have no job!"

Posted by: Jar Jar Binks | October 15, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The troll that is. me me spot on, TBT or 401k. Is that three trolls, or just one on acid dropped in red bull?

Posted by: kenwood | October 15, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"The Bosses would do terrible tings to me, terrible tings to me if me goin' back dere on de Caps sight ye hare."

Posted by: jar jar binky | October 15, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

truth be told / whatever you're calling yourself:

If you want respect on this blog, or anywhere in the adult world, you need to stop acting like an immature "I'm so good" twit. Right now, you're dogging the entire blog insisting that they acknowledge how great you are, when in fact you are simply parroting what other people have said on the blog. Please stop bragging and insisting that everyone acknowledge you because you're so great, because you're not, and even if you were, that's not how you go about winning friends and influencing people. Most of the blog is wisely ignoring you right now, because I don't care if you're right or not, you come off as an arrogant little putz. Now stop it.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 15, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

The Bears website says that if you have a Giant discount card, you get $4 off per ticket up to two tickets. The $10 ticket is in two sections (can't exactly remember which ones) are sold on game day in a limited amount. Check out the Bears website for details under the gameday link and tickets.

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

acid and red bull I say...

Posted by: kenwood | October 15, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

There. Now that I have vented my spleen.

truth be told / whatever you're calling yourself - if you are right, then time will tell. Don't say anything at all. You don't need to. Make your case, then let it be, and if you're right, enjoy the I-told-you-so's later. Don't demand that everyone acknowledge you as great, because it does not and will never make people think more of you. Those who brag most usually know least.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 15, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Turn off the teli it's aweful. Me me spot on told you not to look at the 401K. Just telling the truth. One of the few but I am.

Thank god for Caps hockey. Downside is we have to wait until tomorrow. Damn. hey you sports fans we got baseball tonight and Sports Center. No worries.

ken you got kind out of sorts didn't you? That's not you. I don't get it first you warn me and then you??

Listen if Theo has a good game (my interpretation)tomorrow I will duck on out of here for a few days but you guys need to know my hockey knowledge and judge of talent is better than the collection of overthinking that goes on in some circles.

Don't take it seriously dude I'm right and your wrong. What's wrong with that?

Did you see the close on the Market? Wonder if it will affect the owners?

Posted by: 401 Kaboom | October 15, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

okay this space for rent: I do listen from time to time and you make a good point or points.

It's good to be spot on and know when you are spot on. We should celebrate being spot on you know it's the glass half full thinking. Imagine the euphoria when we get a great compliment to the Great 8 and a really good goaltender. We will all be dancing but first Kozzy has to go.

And as you know even though I have a good batting average of being right, and it's really not an I told you so, it's to help those understand the game of hockey, I would think that some posters take themselves way to seriously, especially during work time. Makes me laugh but then we should all laugh more right? And I don't blame them for taking the time during the workday to see the latest and greatest info coming out.

Now where is the irony in that?

We have to livin things up a little bit instead of the same ol dinner drab that permeates this board by the day jobbers who should actually be working! You know the Kozzy out for two weeks, Fehr will be great on line 2, the Flyers this and the Penguins that, etc, etc,. How about talking about Corry (seems the crew has no clue because the hockey elevator does not go up more than the second floor.) My case is rested on that floor.

I'll take some time off if Theo has a good game. And I'll take your comments to heart.

Good day all

Posted by: 401 Kboom that's the truth | October 15, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Now Kenny my friend how would you know about acid? Does your boss know that you know about acid? Or is it that you speak of things that you have no clue?

I have to say you are right about Kozzy and I appreciate your honesty but me thinks you probably have no clue.

Now if Jimbob hadn't called me an idiot then...and he lives in Lancaster!!! Come on guys what's the irony in that?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

whoever you are this post: I don't think you got it at all, actually, if you wrote that. Sure, it's good to be spot on, if you are. You may know a lot. A truly wise man doesn't let on all that he knows, and your continuous insistence on rubbing other posters' nose in it is making you enemies, not friends.

Nobody cares how much you know or don't know, my friend. It sounds to me as if you're trying to get people to like you by saying "oh, I know everything there is to know, bow down and worship me". That never works, and usually turns people against you. We're not impressed by how much you know or how right you are. You're free to espouse an opinion, but presenting it as fact is a sure road to getting banned. Be friendly, be polite, espouse opinions, but don't be a know-it-all or a jerk, and you'll have a much easier time here.

Right now, nobody wants to deal with you because no matter how smart you are, you come off as a self-righteous, conceited, arrogant little prig who still lives with his mommy. You have no business judging what other people should or should not be doing with their time - what do you know of them or their day jobs, or even if they have one. You are not God's gift to this blog, the hockey blogosphere, or really to much of anything, and even if you think you are, you will win no love or friends by saying so and insisting that people acknowledge it.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 15, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I know someone who was the Director of Marketing for Austin Grill until recently. They were acquired by Thompson Hospitality and he told me that it ceased to be fun working there at that point. They made a bunch of changes, re-structured, downsized, and he has moved on to greener pastures. When I spoke to him over the summer (when he was still working there) I asked him the plans for the Wings promotion this season (he's a Caps fan) and he didn't know if it would continue. Since it hasn't been announced, I'm guessing it's not.

Posted by: wings | October 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Golly, it appears there are some not nice people trying to muck up our friendly little blog. Must be the day before a Pens game. Aren't there some fat women for y'all to be looking for? Remember, you aren't right unless you have a "guru" in your name (that's what Boo tells me! ;) )

Tomorrow's matchup intrigues me again. Fluery is playing above his head, and even standing on it, making the Pens defense look better than it is. I'm hoping the Caps guns can expose him the way Luongo was. I'm psyched.

Steve, we should go to Kraig's house and watch it on the 50"

Posted by: Leeguru | October 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@anon

i AM the boss. And what I did in the 70's is my business.

Played hockey for 20 years and a STH for the last 10. Even coached. Some of my kids went on to play in college. Not bad for someone in your words 'but me thinks you probably have no clue.'

If I may be so bold to say and yet attempt to stay humble (which is something you really need to learn my friend), I would like to think that I have a clue. Besides, since you and I agree on the Kozlov thing and you don't think I have a clue, then I guess you just called yourself clueless. That really explains a lot.

Posted by: kenwood | October 15, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

OOH SNAP!!

Posted by: the real anonymous | October 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

you are toast tbt, anon, meme, whatever. You agreed with him and then said he didn't have a clue.

You're done.

Posted by: CAPNTEX | October 15, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jar Jar Binks,
I think you've done a good job trolling today; you know I would have been gone back and forth with you a little bit but I actually had to work! Tell mommy to cook you a good dinner and we'll see you tomorrow.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 15, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Excellent! Just got the confirmation of my Caps Maryland plates being processed. Meaningless to most, but I felt the desire to shout it somewhere. Guess I'm a hockey dork.

Posted by: Caps 423 | October 15, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, much chaos.

Lee, I have a soccer game at 7:30 tomorrow.... You able to go to the game on Sat?

Posted by: Steve R | October 15, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

isn't it corey perry, not corry perry?

Posted by: mbr | October 15, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@MBR

You care correct, it is Corey Perry but its pronounced "no way in hell does Anaheim trade him to us".

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 15, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, for all the Kozlov haters (I'm not a hater, but nowhere close to a fan) him being injured and out is sure not going to help us trade him. Bummer....for that reason.

Posted by: CapsCapsCaps | October 15, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Its really nice having all these players on the team. It does suck though that we made roster decisions based on salary cap implication.

That said...

If this is the Semin that we all know that he can be, in 2010/2011 he will cost at minimum $6.5M to $7.0M a year. There arent many 40+ goal scorers and they all rake in cash.

And if Backstrom is a point a game player like we all know he is... He will be worth $5.5 (See Pominville).

Kozlov must go after his contract is up. we dont have enough cheddar for him...

Posted by: JSchon | October 15, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R:

If that's the DC United game, it's been moved back to 8 for ESPN.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 15, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

@ Jschon -- you are so right, sir

No way is there enough cheddar for Koz when the Caps have to resign Semin and Backs in the next 2-3 years. Younger, cheaper, keep the farm system going -- not overpriced FA's

Posted by: JIM | October 15, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Section 117,

Thanks, but it's me playing 7v7 in Germantown.

Posted by: Steve R | October 15, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

"That leaves the 400 level for those who actually understand the game of hockey and like to watch the play develope on the ice." Hey bob... news flash... those who actually understand the game sit everywhere in the arena, including the lower bowl. That attitude is exactly why people bicker here. "i'm better than you are", "i win" whatever... I agree, there are fewer blindspots in most of the upper level (except when you sit behind someone much bigger than you - which in my case is the majority of people there), but there are a lot of places in the lower bowl that have a great view. I have a season ticket in the lower bowl, its my preference, and believe me i enjoy the game as much as you do from my seats.
Sorry everyone, I just get tired of the 'holier than thou' attitude on this blog sometimes.

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 15, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I've had season tickets in the upper level and seats in the lower bowl. Currently in the lower bowl.

- Upper level: better view to see plays develop, fun people, cheaper, but if you have a family or the like, it can be full of really drunk college aged students and visiting fans

- Lower bowl: more "into" the action; the checks are louder, atmosphere is louder; don't have to go up the escalators and there is more room in the concourse and a better choice of food and drink; seats and rows seem to have just a bit more room, but literally 2X as much as my old tickets; the seats (at least around me) have some more "casual" fans and corporate ownership

Ultimately I prefer the lower bowl, but it really depends on how much $ you have to spend and how many games you go to. I'd venture to guess that if $ wasnt an issue, 8 of 10 would choose the lower bowl.

But to each his own - not here to tell you how to spend your money.

Posted by: moses | October 15, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow! What/who exploded on this blog?!? Guess it is a good thing that was too busy to check it out during the day! ;-)

Capsfannmiss:
I'm trying to remember which hand Brash hurt. I remember him taking his glove off, shaking his hand and looking at it. He later was talking to Jose about it and showing it to him. It almost looked like he jammed a finger. I think it was his left hand, but my mind's eye could be confused! :-) Whatever it was it could not have been that bad - he kept playing. I would guess that they are just playing it safe by having him take it easy.

Posted by: Boo! | October 15, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@Caps 423 - YAY! I have to deal with an E-ZPass violation in NJ and a speed camera in - somewhere. Maryland, maybe? DC? Before I can sign up and get my Caps plates, but I'm sure gonna do it! :)

Posted by: i rock the red | October 15, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,

Good luck my friend!

Posted by: Section 117 | October 15, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone had seen this in the video melee that occurred around the new opening video shoot. Aired on Canadian TV, I think:

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 15, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure who commented on the Flyers Penns game earlier but I got the same impression and was glad to see them playing so had (didn't want any energy saved for tonight). Both teams looked solidly average. Also, not to direspect Tarik's praise of the Penns, but I agree with The Hockey News article that compared the Penns of last to the Lightning of their Cup year. Lots of talent in the lineup at the end of their contracts and not much in the pipeline. I think the Penns have peaked and the Caps are only going to get stronger over the next couple years.

And by the way...417 is the best section Go Nancy, HCKYFGHT, Kay and number 13!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 16, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

If we could have any RW in the league, who'd it be? Iginla? I'm honest blanking on good RWs. I think Iginla's a RW. And Hossa, I guess.

Who else is a natural RW?

And part two, who, feasibly, could we land if we needed/wanted to?

Corey Perry was mentioned, is he a RW? Heatley's a RW. Gaborik?

I know this post has no real point, but I'm kind of interested.

Bertuzzi?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 16, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey, who's doing the bar crawl on Saturday?

Posted by: MNMNT | October 16, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Bertuzzi is a real jerk; a friend of mine who happens to be a dentist had to do some work on him at a game because the team dentist was not available and he told him to "just numb him up and do it as quicky as _____ possible" (you can fill in the blank with your choice of profanity. How bout a guy like J.P. Dumont? I wonder how long the Preds have him locked up for?

Posted by: mbr | October 16, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

What would it take to relieve the lightning of St. Louis?

Posted by: mbr | October 16, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

All you cap fans wondering about me and alex cemnh, saying how we are not in camp and not in shape, where are you now? Eat your crow

Posted by: mike green | October 16, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday was troll-fest. My guess is that we have a couple disgruntled day-traders on this blog.

Posted by: C-way | October 16, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@c-way,

Yes it was tough to read, i didn't bother after a while but i did see sabresfanindc aka chief aka whatever other alias uses was back, funny that a sabres fan always comes back when the pens are the subject like when the topic was about the pitt post gazette whining that they could not buy group tix to caps/pens games in dc.

That guy really has issues. I imagine the guy to be a loser living in dc trying to get back at people because he has no life and no friends

Posted by: O-V-P | October 16, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

To me, the troll was suspiciously reminiscent of Philly Voice of Reason from last year.....

Posted by: hockeymom | October 16, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I expect more trolls today. More layoffs in Pittsburgh, so they will be online before their internet is cut off.

Posted by: Leeguru | October 16, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

After seeing the crap that was on the board yesterday morning I stayed away and found myself being more productive at work.

While we wait for the Pens game any comments on who won the debate last night?

Posted by: Lipstick on a Pig | October 16, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

You guys are a bunch of babies.
So none of you are doing the bar crawl before the game on Saturday?

Posted by: MNMNT | October 16, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I have a spare ticket in 426 for Sat, anybody want to join me?

Posted by: Steve R | October 16, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

i will be a full participant in the bar crawl on saturday

Posted by: stevo | October 16, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

does anyone know if the specials for the bar crawl are on bud light or that garbage miller lite

Posted by: stevo | October 16, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Caps on Tap
The Capitals, DC 101 and Budweiser are proud to present the fourth-annual Caps on Tap downtown bar tour from 2-7 p.m. on Oct. 18 before the Caps host New Jersey. Fans can register now for the event, which costs $30 and includes a ticket to the game, wristband for the bar tour and $2 Budweiser products from 2-7 p.m. at all participating bars. Bar partners include: RFD, Green Turtle, Lucky Strike, Irish Channel, Rocket Bar, Austin Grill, Penn Quarter Sports Tavern and Bar Louie.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 16, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@Steve R

I'll be driving from CT to VA and my intention was to stop at a sport bar in WASH to watch the game... but of course watching it at Verizon would be much better :D

If you don't find anybody, I'll be thrilled to go.

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse