Theodore Will Start Tomorrow vs. Sabres

A few camp updates stolen directly from @TarikElBashir, for the anti-Twitter crowd:

* Jose Theodore will start and play the whole game tomorrow, I'm told.

* Eric Fehr says he'll have a physical later this week and could be cleared. But he still doesn't anticipate playing in a game before October.

* Chris Bourque, btw, denied a story in today's Boston Globe suggesting he's been told he'll be traded if he doesn't make the Caps' roster.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  September 20, 2009; 1:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Cut Gustafsson, 14 Others
Next: Morning Links: Caps' Stars Slated to Play Tonight

Comments

Lets go Caps

Posted by: griz0615 | September 20, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

yess. remember some of read this blog on our pda and dont have time to read twitter.. etc. Recently you guys have been less pda friendly using a lot of links etc.

Posted by: kmr2r | September 20, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

hope jose does well tomorrow!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

well i hope that Bourque rumor is false, I don't want to lose him!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 20, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I really love the countless hours of updates. You are the best in the league with information. But the only problem is the weekdays. The weekends are fine using Twitter, but most of us that work during the day are unable to access Twitter and I for one really need to have my Caps update. It really feeds my addiction to anything Caps news and keeps the headaches away. If you cant do it can Katie or Lindsay post the same updates on this site? Please help the Masses of us that need this site to get thru the workday.

Thank you Sir and keep up the excellent work.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | September 20, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday's game was definitely entertaining. Giroux at times looks like he should be in Washington for sure, but then at the same time he takes shifts off. I noticed that when I went to Hershey last year during the Calder Cup finals and the Bears' fans I talked to said it was the only complaint most Bears' fans have. They said they could live with it because he scored so much. That won't fly in the NHL.

IMO Andrew Gordon and Kyle Wilson look good.

Also IMO, Clarkie will without a doubt be an asset this season on the ice. He looked very solid against a loaded Blackhawks team.

Hopefully Directv folks caught the game on CSN Chicago last night. The Caps will be on MSG on Directv both Thurs and next week Sunday.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 20, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Not to bring some bad juju into this board of happy campers, but I have this nagging feeling that we're going to come out on the ice slow on Monday and Buffalo's going to beat us. Two games where our prospects were fighting for spots on the roster brought about a desperation I don't expect to see on Monday...

Posted by: Raber | September 20, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@Raber: I agree with your prediction. I'm headed to Verizon tomorrow and the only things I am hoping for:

- a good showing from Theo
- some chemistry for line 1
- chemistry between BMo and Semin
- see if Nylander can win BB over so he can earn the money he's going to get paid
- get out without any injuries

I honestly don't care if the Caps win. I don't think line 1 will see all that much ice time, not regular season ice, BB needs to get a look at his young boys too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 20, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I also have this bookmarked in Safari on my iPhone. I prefer the full web to Twitter. If you tweet, it would be great if it could automatically update here - the traditional place for Insider Updates.

Posted by: cwiseman | September 20, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how in the world McPhee would set a precedent and agree with a player who has a minor league option remaining (Bourque) that he will "make the big club or get moved."

No, even if McPhee wanted to do that - he would be discouraged by the owners' bargaining committee.

Anyone who thinks young Mr. Bourque will get 500 NHL goals, please raise your hand...let me count...OK, the count was zero.

Does anyone think he might become a decent player, even a spoke in the wheel of a Cup winner?

I do. But does he rate that kind of treatment, an assured spot? No.

I'm between a rock and a hard place with Bourque, Aucoin and Laing. I want them all, but don't know how to do it. I also want Clark to rebound in a big way; Nylander to ride the comeback trail; Laich to keep getting 10 pts more than last year; Flash to play like he did before P-namonia; Fehr to play like he did in WHL; Brads to keep grinding like he does; and Gordo to keep giving it his all. I'd like Giroux to step up; Osala to make the big club; Beagle too; and Kyle Wilson; and Suger to earn a regular sweater.

Since Ovie, Backstrom, Knuble, Semin and BMo are assured, that's like twice as many musical players as chairs.

I will be seated Oct 1st 7 pm on my sofa with the 58" HD on Versus when the puck drops in Beantown and root on whoever BB and GMsq select.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 20, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, by the way, so that you know that my like really and truly (almost) revolves around hockey...but first, a side note:

RAY LEWIS #52!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. All of my vacations, three a year, are planned exclusively around the NHL schedule. Wed am 23rd I fly out to Phoenix for 7 nights, the middle four of which are (again) at the Grand Canyon. I get back very late on the 30th. I will work on the 1st but will be in front of the TV by 7 pm. Unless I die.

I have made reservations for the next vacation. I will miss several Caps games (can't help it w/3 vacations/yr) the last week in January for 6 nights in Vegas and DEATH VALEY!!!!!!! Will I die in Death Valley? Let's hope not. Don't expect to die there in late Jan. Anyway, the following vacation will be Lake Tahoe next July...why July? So I have all of May and June to watch the Caps en route to HOISTING the Cup.

After rooting all these years, it would really suck to be away when they win.

And the vacation after that - you guessed it - the week before the season starts next fall. I haven't decided where, but like 17 straight vacations have been to the southwest.

I'm not one for change.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 20, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Clark is going to do great this season and get back to his form from two years ago--which should make a big difference.

I hope Theo plays consistently well or badly. I can't stand this up and down tease--is he or isn't he capable to take us all the way? On the other hand, I am not worried this year with Varly and/or Neuvy as backs ups.

I really want to see Nylander do well and find the role he deserves. I wonder is some of you have opinions about what kind of line-up would be most suitable to bring out the best in him? What should BB have done to make him an asset for the team?

Posted by: caraveli | September 20, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl

you are misunderstanding the rumor. mcphee and bourque aren;t saying make the team or get traded its more of a respect factor. sort of like byzgalov in anaheim, they knew he could be a #1 goalie and altho they loved having him as #2 to jiggy they said hey you deserve to be #1 and we can't provide that for you so we'll trade you so you can have the chance to be #1.

same applies here, bourque deserves to be in the NHL and maybe the Caps are not the team to do that for him, so the rumor would suggest GMGM understands that and said if we can't give you that sweater we'll trade you so you can try to get it somehwre else.

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 20, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

So how is anyone going to watch the first game vs. Boston.. since Versus no longer exists?? I'm hoping they fix this soon, this is such a dilemma, I cannot miss the first Caps game this year!!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd write a letter to Buttman, tell him there must be a loop hole to get outta the contract with versus.. then ask him to get down on his knees and beg ESPN to take the NHL back, give the worldwide leader in sports one free year if that's what it takes...

Posted by: joek443 | September 20, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

rachel: Versus still exists. It is Ch 1322 on my TV. Right now they have bull riding. Not my favorite sport. If I listed my top 100 sports, bull riding would be like 89th. Just ahead shotput but just behind girls in bikini carwashing (which should be an Olympic sport given the vast number of sports the Olympics accepts).

capsfan387: No, I fully understand. Bourque has never demonstrated the kind of skill that warrants that level of respect. McPhee cannot and will not give a fringe player, that age, a "make the team or we will trade you" guarantee, not when the player has waivers. The kind of thing you are describing is like with a veteran, a former all-star, getting an invite to training camp (think baseball when they can go to camp w/o a contract) with a guarantee of "You will make the starting rotation or we'll let you look elsewhere."

George McPhee does not impress me as the type of GM to give young players guarantees that go over and above the basic agreement. IMO.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 20, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Versus still exists. It's only unavailable now to DirecTV customers like myself.

My plan is to either get cable in one room of my house or try to catch those Versus games online using stuff like sopcast.

Since moving to Houston, TX several years ago, I've been able to catch all Caps games between Center Ice, Versus, NBC, etc... so this is a new inconvenience.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 20, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao: Obviously you are younger than I am. The older you get, the more you realize that life is an obstacle course. Just as soon as you finally figure out the best and quickest way to drive home, and save five minutes by avoiding the traffic, that they put road construction. Then, as soon as the construction ends, they put up a new development and some extra traffic lights that are all unsynchronized with the ones that were there. When I die I plan on talking with St. Peter about all this.
Me: "Why?"
St. Peter: "What?"
Me: "Why?"
St. Peter: "Oh."
Me: "Yes. Why?"

Now I'm back to pondering my thought at having Girls in Bikini Carwashing in the Olympics. Which country would win? Would the Bulgarian judge vote against the Americans? Would the East Germans cheat? Are there still East Germans?

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 20, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

@caravelli: I agree with your comments too. I think it would be good if we had more than one system: throw the teams off. But I'm not a coach so I don't know if that works.

But I liked what I saw in Nylander his first season. He made awesome passes like Backstrom now makes. Probably no other players besides those two who can feed the snipers. I hope he gets that chance too.

Posted by: CapsRockTheRed | September 20, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I have Comcast for cable and I still have Versus. Ch. 226 for HD and 13 for SD

Posted by: Osfan092589 | September 20, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1 Girls in Bikini Carwashing is only your 88th favorite sport?!?

The VS thing is just Comcast (which owns VS) trying to hurt its competition on Direct TV. Once enough people stop blaming Direct TV and start blaming Comcast they will fold rather then take the bad publicity. As for the contrat. Don't forget last season the ratings on VS were better then those on ESPN before the lockout.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 20, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 20, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

the ratings would be even better if it was on espn then considering many more people have access to espn than versus.

Posted by: joek443 | September 20, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

in the 1980s the NHL used to be on espn then it left there for sportschannel america for more money, anyone remember that? and it SUCKED because even less people had access to that channel than people do now with versus.

it shoudn't always be about the money and the ratings if you care about the bigger picture and not just about the short-term profit. any sport would get a lot more exposure on espn than it would on versus. I for one miss the days of the NHL on the deuce and their funky graphics.. LOL

Posted by: joek443 | September 20, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

joek I wasn't born until 1987 so I don't know what you are talking about but with VS the NHL gets a network that actually cares about growing the league and will give it the coverage it needs.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin-Nylander-Knuble/Clark
Semin-Backstrom-?

would be good? =)

Posted by: Rambutan_ru | September 21, 2009 2:48 AM | Report abuse

It's not just versus wanting more money from DirectTV. The issue is more complex.

It takes two to tango.

It's a "take-no-prisoners" kind of negotiation. Both sides have drawn a line in the sand and have gone to us the hockey consumers to force the issue. Each wants us to blame the other company.

Personally I don't like either company--Comcast (versus' parent company) or DirectTV. As far as I'm concerned it's a standoff between cable and satellite. All I care about is being able to see that Oct. 1 game with the Bruins.

So let's complain to all sides--Versus/Comcast and DirectTV. That date is a good deadline for getting a deal worked out.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 21, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

BTW finally a home game--yippee.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 21, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

I can see the Caps trading Bourque if he doesn't make the team. Regardless of his talent and potential he is the son of a great and respected player and trading Chris to give him a better chance of being in the NHL would show respect for Ray.

Posted by: ds_kelly | September 21, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse