Theodore's Revenge: Caps 3, Canadiens 0

That was kind of unexpected, wasn't it?

All the injuries. Jose Theodore's previous encounter with his hometown team. Did I mention all the injuries?

Didn't matter tonight.

Theodore was lights out, stopping all 28 shots he faced to beat Montreal and settle an old score against his former team. The 32-year-old goalie was the No. 1 star of the game for the first time as Cap, earned his first shutout as a Cap, and got his first standing ovation as a Cap.

"He was fabulous," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "He was square to the puck. There were no big rebounds. The saves in the second period there for a series of five minutes were pretty dazzling. His acrobatic skills and his athletic skills were fabulous. I was really happy for him."

A few other notes and quotes from tonight's win:

*Boudreau became the fastest coach in team history to 50 wins (84 games).

*Alex Ovechkin extended his point scoring streak to 10 games (11 goals, 11 assists), the longest current streak in the league. Ovechkin's 25 points this month are tops in the NHL, too. Alexander Semin was player of the month in Oct.; Ovechkin figures to earn the honor in November.

"Whether it's a slow start or some time in the middle or some time at the end, he got his [slump] out of the way," Boudreau said. "He's playing normal. He's not doing anything super special. When he gets six in one game then I'll say, 'Now that's a little bit special'. But getting a goal, that's Alex and that's why he's the best player in the world."

*It was the caps' first shutout at home since October 2007 against Carolina.

*The Caps posted their second straight sell-out at home and fourth of the year. Through 10 games, the team's average is 17,862, a 29-pecent increase from first 10 games last season (13,389).

*With a 9-0-1 record at Verizon Center, this year's team is now the winningest in franchise history at home through 10 games. The 1991-92 team went 8-2-0.

*Tomas Fleischmann's first period tally was his fifth in eight games. It was the fifth time he's scored the Caps' first goal of the game. It also was Washington's 28th first period goal, the most in the league.

Fleischmann's goal came after he picked off Francois Bouillon's pass from behind the Montreal goal. He then passed to Michael Nylander, who returned the favor.

"Fleischmann is doing that kind of thing this year," Boudreau said. "That's something we practice all of the time. He read it right. [Nylander] gave it back to him. Great play."

*Five days after defenseman Montreal's Ryan O'Byrne shot the puck into his own net, a group of Canadiens' fans held up a sign in warm-ups that read, "Ryan That Way", with a red arrow pointing toward Washington's goal.

*Boudreau said don't expect any of the injured players to come back tomorrow in Columbus. I also didn't notice any new injuries. For a change.

*Rookie Karl Alzner, I thought, was solid again tonight. He skated 23:22 and took a team-high 28 shifts.

*Canadiens' Coach Guy Carbonneau on the Caps' win: "We knew they had injuries and knew how hard they worked. Having that kind of record at home is not a fluke. They came to work and we didn't. We didn't respond."

Carbonneau on Theodore: "He was good. He was lucky at sometimes but sometimes you make your luck. He made the save when he had to, but we didn't really test him."

Lucky? Come on, Guy. How about giving credit where credit is due? Tonight, Theodore deserved a lot of it.

I'll check in from Columbus tomorrow morning (if there's a morning skate).

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 28, 2008; 11:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup
Next: Johnson Gets Nod

Comments

Just came back from the game. Great win for the Caps!

Which game Guy was watching?

Posted by: RITdude | November 29, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

typical poor loser

"how can THE montreal canadiens, the greatest franchise in all of sports, let the WASINGTON CAPITALS, a team with zero fans who should be shipped to kansas city, beat us. their whole team was injured, we were supposed to win."

thats what i heard in his quote.

Posted by: ahbest3 | November 29, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I laughed so hard when I saw that "RYAN THAT WAY" sign!

Posted by: smaksimo | November 29, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Loved Guy's first quotation but the second? Give me a break. Theo was tested alright, and he aced the test!

BTW, was anyone else holding their breath on the first goal? I was afraid that they would just keep passing and never shoot. The same thing happened with the second goal on Wed. In both cases I was SO relieved to see the puck FINALLY hit the back of the net. Sometimes it just seems as if they are afraid to shoot. Thank goodness it has worked out OK, but at some point it is going to bite them (and I could argue that it has in the past).

Posted by: Boo- | November 29, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Theo and Verizon was rocking tonight. I was impressed by Alzner who continues to be steady. Would be great if he stayed the rest of the season. Helmer too played well for a guy who just got inserted into the lineup. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: blushfilms | November 29, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

The other thing that got tested tonight and passed with flying colors was the Caps' organizational depth. The Bears won 3-2 in OT in Albany, AND the Caps shut out a very, very good Montreal team, with Hershey guys making up more than half of the Caps' defense. With seven guys from the starting lineup out with injuries (read: a third of the team), THAT is organizational depth that should be the envy of the league.

Lots of Canadiens fans there tonight. A couple of them got lost on the escalator behind me, so I gave them a hand finding their seats. Hey, I don't hate Habs fans - they're good peeps even if they do root for the wrong team. :) A Pitt or Philly fan can find their own seats.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 29, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Right on kittypawz. Us washingtonians are no hoodlums.

As for JT- HIP HIP JOSE!

The dude can be spectacular...we just need him to be consistent going forward.

Posted by: Rocc00 | November 29, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, who got the hard hat? I've got several candidates in mind, including Alzner, but I'd be curious to see who ended up with it.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 29, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

We took their baseball team and kicked the crap out of their hockey team. Come again soon!

Posted by: CletusVanDamme | November 29, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

i've been arguing against flash for years. but it seems he's finally putting in the effort and becoming aware of what he needs 2 do.. so i guess i have to give some credit to gmgm (who i am still not a fan of) for keeping him.

Posted by: am_jim | November 29, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

am_jim:
I'm with ya! Never been a huge Flash fan, but he seems to be coming into his own this season; he is slowly winning me over. But I still don't think that Fehr is all that (just checking to see if JSchon is paying attention ... ;-)).

Posted by: Boo- | November 29, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

That was an awesome game. much much better than expected. Theo was spectacular. The best Ive seen in DC for a long time. Alzner looked great, solid, pro. He's a keeper. I really like how they looked. That wasn't a chump team. they're no San jose, but they ain't Atlanta. I'm really impressed.
Adrenalin=good. columbus is going to see a lot of tape.
ovechkin. when he tore down ice after that puck and levelled the Canadien racing him, I laughed outloud. He plays like we dream.

Posted by: oo7 | November 29, 2008 1:54 AM | Report abuse

man when we're hot, we are H-O-T! i mean our guys getting called up have been fabulous. the PK was awesome, habs didn;t have really a chance to set up, we kept on them, and cleared a lot. we kept it in their zone too, i mean just grinding there. I was really worried coming into tonight's game, it was awesome to see Theo's first shutout. love the guy. and ovie was pretty much double teamed the whole game and he still found a way to score. nice to see his point streak go higher then his goal slump streak hehe. I LOVE THE CAPS!!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 29, 2008 2:56 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait to get that Laich-Fedorov-Semin line rolling again (or perhaps Flash-Fedorov-Semin). In the meantime, let's keep on winning. OBK is carrying us right now (especially the 'O' part).

Posted by: DrAdamson | November 29, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

well its about time. A complete victory. Outside of a few mistakes, such as Jurcina taking a stupid penalty after the play was over, the Caps played how I expect them to play. Defense is the issue with this team and they have the answers in Hershey, the question is will we play them? Let's see who they bring with them to Columbus, because the real problem has been on the road, not at home. The road losses have been terrible and show the lack of leadership from their captain(Clarke). Where is the vocal leadership? Do you have to be scoring goals to speak up? Let's see how they respond tonite.

Posted by: ergoroc | November 29, 2008 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Guy Carbonneau = LOSER!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 29, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if we can go 41-0-1 at home this season, we're so tough to beat at home and that's a great thing. Come playoff time, we want teams to fear coming to Verizon Center!! GO CAPS!!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 29, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Time for a Saturday Morning gloat session. First, I want to let everyone know that I do not take pride in what I'm about to do, but at some point there needs to be affirmation giving and now is as good a time as any.

Most recent is my keys to beating the Habs.

A. Start strong. CHECK
B. Get scoring from a secondary line. CHECK
C. Get improved performances from the call-ups. CHECK
D. Have Theo continue to make some great saves. CHECK
E. Unleash the Hershey. CHECK

Result 3-0 WIN.

How is Flash playing?
Looked good at the worlds and looks great this year.

How is Fehr playing?
Fehr could play on any of the top lines and produce.

How has M.Green been playing? He's been out 4 or 5 games and is still in 3rd place for the Norris Trophy.

How is Alzner playing?
There is no way he starts in Hershey the beginning of the year unless there was a cap issue.

Can Bourque play in this league?
Early returns say yes.

Do you realize that we have gone 7-3-1 with some kind of combination of not having Fedorov, Semin, Green, Clark, Morrisonn, Poti, Erskine and Gordon. This team is resilient, deep and we haven't even hit our stride yet.

Posted by: JSchon | November 29, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Once everyone gets healthy... WTF do we do?
What if we win the next 3 games and go 5-0 with the kids?

OV/Backstrom/Kozlov
Laich/Fedorov/Semin
Flash/Nylander/Fehr
Brash/Steckel/Bradley
HS - Gordon
Bourque back to Hershey

Green/Alzner
Poti/Mo or Sloan
Lepisto/Jurcina or Erskine

Why did we give Erskine an extension? This baffles me to no end.

Posted by: JSchon | November 29, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Jschon: Looking at last night's game, I think some of our regular D got a kick in the shorts last night. Theo did great, but you've got to give credit to our D, too. They took the puck back, they scooped up a couple of Theo's rebounds, and they cleared the zone (for the most part). Our Hershey buys took the regulars out back and showed them how it's done.

Maybe that's why we haven't traded for a senior D. We've got all the D we need on the farm - now all we have to do is clear the deadwood, and I'm guessing that that's slated for this summer.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 29, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

A solid win, from the drop of the puck in the first, to the final horn. Congrats to Theo...a well deserved shutout.

Posted by: shotfromthepoint | November 29, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Last night's game was incredible. I think everyone played pretty good (some great). It was an exciting game to watch - all 60 minutes.

Also curious who got the hardhat. Probably someone on D, but also thought that all of the forwards battled pretty hard for the puck.

There were lots of Canadiens fans there last night. Think that may be the largest crowd of opposing fans we have had all year. My what a difference between them and those fans from teams that shall not be named.

Finally, so good to see Jose get the shutout and how appreciative he was of the fans. Was that Jurcina sliding across the ice on his backside to block a shot at the end to help ensure a shutout? He seems to be playing a little more inspired that last few games.

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 29, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Geee Charbaneau should be fired.

Where is Cheef? I want to get his assessment of the last 2 games.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 29, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

JSchon

I totally agree that this team is just scratching the surface. Not only will they be a far better team later this year, but 1-2 years from now I think---"Detroit who"
Oh by the way, I hope you didn't hurt your arm.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 29, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

The fact that BB has given Alzner 21 and 23 minutes per game in his FIRST 2 games with Caps should be the only indicator we need to prove that BB wanted him to start the season and not send him to Hershey.

Posted by: JSchon | November 29, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I've read all the coverage, and I can't find who won the hard-hat for the Caps last night. It would be obvious to give it to Theodore, but one never knows. Anyone know?

Posted by: rufusthedog | November 29, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Latest News.

JSchon (Undisclosed upper body injury) has been placed on the LTIR list. Reports are he hurt himself using seldom used arm and shoulder muscles while typing. His absence gives a bit of cap relief. The Capitals Insider with his salary will bring in Puckguru from OnFrozenBlog.

Posted by: JSchon | November 29, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

JSChon, kittypawz

totally agree, except maybe Bourque is not ready yet - need some buffing up.

Now, regarding the D... I don't mean to play devil's advocate (but it will come out that way lol), but I'm still not convinced on how well our D played and how better were the Wilds/S. Jose compared to ATL and the Habs. Time will tell, starting with tonight's game.

Regardless, as of now I have to say that the only guy I miss on D is Green. So the question is: is this D better? If it's better is it because of effort, or because Sloan/Alzner/Lepisto/Helmer ARE better?
Jurcina and Morrison did play a lot better.

My opinion is that Alzner and Helmer are the most S@H D-men in our roster. That allows for better positioning. Did you notice that we didn't have our usual number of rushes against last night? With the Wild, we had a 2 on 0 and several 2 on 1s. This time the had only one 2 on 1, and Alzner did a good job on covering the pass imho. Then again, it could all be due to an explosive offense and fore-checking.

Speaking of fore-checking, I liked the cycle yesterday, especially how the points keep rotating positions.

Posted by: mauree | November 29, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

@ rufusthedog

The hardhat went to Theodore - heard it on the radio on the way home last night, and well deserved I think.

Looking at the D, Alzner should stay, as Jurcina just baffles me out there. I can't understand how someone so big doesn't really use it, and he gets turned around a lot back there. Anyone see him just completely bite it skating backwards past the bench last night?

I like him at times and he seems to be a good guy, but I don't see him lasting as it is better in today's NHL to have a good sized D man who is mobile (see Alzner).

Posted by: Roose | November 29, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Roose

apparently I'm the only one that sees some good in Jurcina? I thought he played real good the last couple of games. He also has a powerful shot. Oh well.

Posted by: mauree | November 29, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

@ mauree

I'm not all gloom like a lot of people in this blog; I do see some good in Jurcina, but he is just very inconsistent. One game he plays great and the next he is turning it over... But we'll see, and maybe all of this increased playing time will help him improve and stick around.

Posted by: Roose | November 29, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

mauree: Bulking up might be good, but it can be done, and I have no doubt of Bourque's willingness to do so. He's got what it takes to succeed with the Caps, I think.

I don't mind leaving Alzner in Hershey this year. Yeah, he's ready, but I don't mind letting him overcook a tad.

Any bets on whether Mo'll still be a Cap next season?

Posted by: kittypawz | November 29, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I was a juice supporter at the beginning, but I have slowly drifted away from him as the mistakes keep coming and i see no improvement. There were several times last night that it seemed he was lucky to have Alzner back with im covering. I think he's at a career crossroads. It's time for him to make a stride forward beyond being a basically a decent defenseman with a good upside to a very good defenseman who knows how to use what he has.

I'm very pleased with the youngins, and would not be surprised to see the Sexy Lumberjack go the way of the dodo or the Emminger or the SOutherby. Sorry Super

Posted by: Leeguru | November 29, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Where is Cheef? I want to get his assessment of the last 2 games.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 29, 2008 8:03 AM

Me too!!! ;)

In case this hasn't been answered, I was listening to Caps radio on the way home last night, I believe Ovi passed the hard hat to Theo.

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | November 29, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

aaaahhh! it took all night but I finally have found folks who noticed the same things about Jurcina from last nights game as I did. I hae to say that I second and third what Roose and Leeguru are saying. I think that Jurcina had alot of mistakes he made covered for him by his partners. Against faster skaters he seems to get lost and doesnt use his size the way you would think he should. he should be knocking bodys out of the crease instead of screening who ever is in the net. He doesn't. With all the skill this team has waiting to play on the blue line, I dont know why we keep tying ourselves to him.

Did nayone notice how many shifts he took in the 3rd? we counted at most, 5. i know he led in ice time but does anybody know when the bulk of that came? Just wondering.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | November 29, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

With his salary, I think the Caps are stuck with Erksine. He's a career minor leaguer with an NHL salary -- who's gonna take him? The only other option is to send him to Hershey like Ben Clymer and pray that he is snatched on waivers. Given that he won't ala Clymer, the Caps will have to buy him out. In the meantime, he's holding Sami, Alzner, Godfrey or Carlson's spot until one of them is ready and affordable.

Morrison is probably gone next year given his salary demands and that Alzner will replace him. Maybe he gets wise and signs for a responible amount of money and years and makes Erksine or Jurnica a cast off.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 29, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@Lee,

No worries, all of our D have been inconsistent at best. I was very pleased to see our call ups do so well last night. You have to admit though some of the hits that Erskine throws are quite brutal, and we need that as much as someone clearing the damn crease.

*SUPER*

Posted by: SZALACH7 | November 29, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I've been trying to temper my comments about the Hershey call-ups. I'm not one to say after 2 games that someone is the cat's meow or a goat. It's going to take me awhile to get to the point where I'll say Alzner should remain in DC.

OK. That was long enough.

On the others I see them as good team players relying on their partners to support them. I don't see where Alzner needs that kind of support. He can take care of his side of the rink just fine. It seemed to me that the others needed some help from forwards more so than Alzner. That includes Mo and Juice.

I'm frustrated with Mo's play. He doesn't seem to be as with it as he was last year.

I'm frustrated with Juice's play, too. He fires a battleship salvo from the point but we rarely see it, and then he disappears from the ice.

These two had better step it up a couple of notches because those Hershey guys can do more for less.

We may be seeing the last of these two. Possibly Schultz as well. I haven't seen too many opponents camped out in front of the net, have you?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 29, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I think there are several defensmen who are on the way out, whether they know it or not. Morrison has a one year contract, and will not be offered a new one. Or not one he is likely to accept. Alzner will take over for him. Juice is gone unless he takes that next step. Sami of Godfrey will take over for him. Or Sloan. Erskine has 3 years to play with the Caps, and as another youngster comes of age, he goes bye bye. That would explain the extension. Buying time for the youth.

Posted by: Leeguru | November 29, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

That was a "character" win. It was a game that you can reflect on later on down the road. We have have several of these games already this year. At Pittsburgh, At N.J. , and now the Montreal game, with all the injuries. I never felt the game was in doubt.
Lets finish off November with a nice 2 points in Columbus!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 29, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Or.... Brash isn't resigned and Erskine moves into the 4th line left wing spot.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 29, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Yup, when Juice first got here he played well. So well that I wondered why Boston would let him go. Since then, this season and last, he seems to have lost it. There is clearly unrealized potential there, but I've lost my patience waiting for him to rediscover it.

Posted by: Boo- | November 29, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Steve:
Well played, sir.

Posted by: Boo- | November 29, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow....just checking the ECHL schedule and the StingRays are playing the Mississippi SeaWolves tonight. I think I'll go check out the future CAPS including Ben B. For those of you that do not know, the Wolves are the farm team for the hated Flyers, and Steve Duschene ( Gaetan's Son) in tending goal for them.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 29, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'd much rather see the Caps keep Brash and let Erksine go. Stupid extension. Morrison seems too expensive compared to many who can replace him. Jurinica seems like he can be replaced. These call-ups are earning their chances so far, which is really good news for the future considering the Caps' cap issues.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 29, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Between the steady success of the call ups and our cap situation, I would not be surprised to see some trades from our existing D corps (only Green would be truly untouchable, but Poti would be unlikely) for younger prospects and picks. That would make cap room for the young defensemen and ensure the pipeline stays full; we won't be drafting high with our own picks anymore.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | November 29, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Erskine doesn't bother me all that much. He does, for the most part, what we want him to do, and he has good ice vision with those passes. And he crunches bones. We have much bigger issues on D, like Jurcina.

Jurcina - every time I start to think he's coming around, he does something boneheaded. Though I have to admit that, on Flash's goal last night, I said to my friend, "Hey, the Habs have their own Jurcina on D!"

Mo does look out of place, especially without Green. I think this season he's been pushing too hard.

Alzner should stay. Period. He played a top-notch team last night, and did his job well. I think with the injuries we can find a spot for him for the rest of the season. I hope so. He's a contributor. He's next up in our Young-Gun Pez Dispenser.

Posted by: EricCarr | November 29, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Roose!

Posted by: rufusthedog | November 29, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

haha what game was I watching? I thought Mo and Jurcina played good :D Maybe it's the Paulaner...

Posted by: mauree | November 29, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

It was amazing to me that there were so many Jurcina backers until the last couple of games. Now he is expected to be a leader with all the Bears in the line-up and he still makes glaring mistakes. Erskine would be as exposed as Jurcina if weren't injured. For all of you out there with relatively high level athletic experiences I propose this:

Jurcina is getting worse because his confidence is in the toilet. Now with the young guys coming up, particularly Alzner in his pairing, he now feels he is losing his future job. Which is probably true.

Please give up the argument that Erskine dishes out bone crushing hits. That's not enough for someone who is supposed to be able to skate over 15 mins a game of quality NHL ice time on the blue line. He misses his assignments way too often. He was a nice band-aid while but it's time to rip it off, it might even be worth a buy out. Maybe trade him for a conditional 8th round pick or something. Just find a way to get rid of his salary and mistakes.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

The guys from Hershey have shown me that yes we have depth in this team, something that I wasn't ready to admit, of course, it is only two games, but kudos to them. I guess GMGM is not as stupid as some people make him to be. Having said all that, lets not get overexcited, I saw a few plays by the new guys that would get them kill on this blog if they were permanently here.

JT had a great game. Can he do it again? The jury is still out. I hope they don't forget Johnson.

Nyls, Flash, Fehr goal against Atlanta, a master piece.

Flash, Nyls, Flash, goals against Montreal, another master piece.

Someone said it, and I agree, the way Fehr is playing he could play in any line.

Of course, all the above is from the point of view of what I see on TV with two color comentators talking more about useless poo-poo than what is going on the ice.

Posted by: opita | November 29, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

mauree- that Paulaner sure is some yummy beer!! :) I'm thinking that while you were at the fridge getting a fresh one, you might have missed some of the mistakes Jurcina made. Though I will admit, it wasn't like he was getting undressed, he just seems to be missing a spark or something. He makes dumb plays at bad times. Maybe my expectation level is a little too high. I do agree that it seems his confidence is eroding as each game goes on so maybe it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

What do you guys think, can it be stopped if Bruce gives him a night or two off to get his head back or would that make things worse?

Posted by: lamplighter1 | November 29, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I haven't heard much talk about Lepisto here, but as impressed as I've been with Alzner, Lepisto looks just as NHL ready to me. He only got about 15 minutes last night but i've liked what I've seen. Made a really subtle but sweet play in the 1st period last night where he intercepted a pass at center ice made a quick semi-circle and hit the Caps forward in stride going the other way.

He reminds me of a Calle Johannson type (only a bit lighter, but with a better shot from the point).

I've generally been in the 'hang on to Schultz' camp but if Alzner and Lepisto are indeed ready, I'd take them over any two of Schultz, Erskine, Mo, or Jurcina. I like Sloan too... and am starting to think that despite being an 'old' rookie, would also be better than Schultz. He can certainly skate better, and while Schultz's size and reach are nice, what's the point in having a slower big guy if he doesn't use his size to clear the crease and hit people? Sloan isn't quite as big, but he's more willing and has better wheels (and he's not going to command the kind of contract that Schultz will try to get an RFA... he'll probably look for something in the neighborhood that Mo got, which is too much for my liking).

Posted by: chombie13 | November 29, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

JSchon - Your lineup at 7:36 does not fit under the cap.

A few comments to catch up:

1. Jurcina is a stiff. He had 4 bad clears in that second period. Some in this forum apparently are not watching the games.

2. Alzner is top 4 right now. I don't see how they will be able to send him back down. Trade Jurcina along with a forward or two to make room. We have the offense to afford that.

3. Lepisto is not ready. He is defensively weak and played out of position a lot last night. He also overcompensates when he makes a mistake and compounds the problem. SL was responsible for 3 straight icings last night when he had an open forward and time to get the puck to him.

4. Fehr is this year's Fleishman. I defended Flash last year (as kenwood) and feel vindicated and will defend Fehr the same. Two years ago it was Laich. You have to look past the scoresheet folks!

5. Keep Sloan and Alzner. Erskine was signed to be a 6-7-8 dman. Let him rotate time with the third pairing.

Alzner-Green
Poti-Morrison
Sloan-Schultz
Erskine

When caps are healthy again, Helmer, Lepisto and Bourque to Hershey and Jurcina goes in a trade along with a forward or two. This gives us the room for Alzner and a bump at the trade deadline (if we even need it) if we trade a bigger number like Nylander or Kozlov. It also gives us a healthy scratch both up front and in back which is a much better situation to manage.

DON'T trade our young talent: Flash, Stecks, Brooks, Fehr, Gordon, etc.

Trade bait is Kozlov, Clark and Nylander along with Jurcina.

I love the job GMGM has done. We are the deepest team in the east and could be close to that for the entire league. The only issue I had with GMGM was his loyalty to Hanlon.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | November 29, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse