Three's a Crowd; Huet Gets Nod vs. Devils

Olie Kolzig and Cristobal Huet are on the ice participating in practice. Brent Johnson? He's here ... watching from the bench. Johnson does, however, look like he's going to take shots after practice.

So that's Bruce Boudreau's plan, huh? It will be interesting to see what he has to say afterward.

Chris Bourque has been returned to Hershey, while Matt Cooke is set to meet the team in New Jersey tomorrow. It's unclear if Cooke is going to face the Devils.

Huet, by the way, has changed his mind about No. 33. He's going to take No. 38.

Here are the forward lines:
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov (together again)
Semin-Fedorov-Laich (Fedorov makes his debut)
Fleischmann-Gordon-Fehr
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley/Laing

Clark is out there, but is not assigned to a line.

Update:Huet said he will start tomorrow against the Devils. Kolzig, meantime, is expected to start Saturday vs. Toronto.

Update 1 p.m.Lots of stuff going on after practice. Here's the rundown:

*I said earlier that Kolzig was "expected" to play Saturday. That may have been premature. Coach Bruce Boudreau
said he has not decided on a starter against the Maple Leafs, and that if Huet is lights out in New Jersey, he might start again at Verizon Center.

*Johnson took shots after practice but has opted not to travel with the Caps. He said GM George McPhee said that the two are going to have a sitdown in the coming days. Johnson also said the thing that irks him the most is that he isn't practicing with his teammates.

"Huet is going to play [in N.J], Olie is going to back up and pretty much ... I'm going to be in the crowd for a little while," Johnson said. "For me, the best thing I can do right now, instead of getting all up in arms about this and upset, is to be the team guy that I've been in the past. I'm still frustrated, but I'm not going to let it get the best of me. Worse things could have happened. "

As for the practice set up, he added: "That's the one thing I don't like, but I understand it. I want to be a part of the team, not like some guy coming in off the street. But I know that if it were me, I would like to have my own net, too."

Boudreau said: "We traded for a No. 1 goalie from Montreal and now we have two No. 1 goalies and Brent is a tremendous support system that can play, and he's going to the same thing now."

"Cristobal Huet is not here to play 18 games," he added. "Olie has been playing very good as of late. Chris will play tomorrow and we'll go from there."

Kolzig said: "They didn't bring [Huet] in here to sit on the bench. It's an opportunity to get him in right away and we'll go from there."

Asked about his future with the organization, Kolzig added: "We've got 18 games left to try to get into the playoffs and we'll see what happens after that. There's things in life and in the game of hockey that are out of your control. It's how you deal with that separates you form other people. I'm just going to continue to do my work. And like I said the other day, if it's not good enough, then there's somebody else here to do it."

*Fedorov and Ovechkin had dinner together last night, and today the Russians were on the PP together. The top unit looked like this: Semin, Backstrom, and Fedorov up front with Ovechkin and Green on the points. Looks good on paper, right?

*Brooks Laich said he had a poster of Fedorov on his wall as a kid. Now, Laich is on the same line with him.

That's it for now.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 28, 2008; 10:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Q&A With Cristobal Huet
Next: Kolzig's Agent Disappointed by Caps' Decision

Comments

Huh.

I wonder who's going to play on Friday...

How's Federov look?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 28, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Will you be doing a quasi-critique on how you felt the trade deadlines movies improved/hindered the teams playoff chances this season?

Posted by: Leigh | February 28, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Huet's pads are obviously here. What about the new mask? I'm a goalie mask geek and am wondering how the new mask will look.

Posted by: E | February 28, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't think its odd... this was pretty much expected. Unfortunately for Johnny, he is the odd man out (at least for now). The starting two goalies practice w/ the team... the reserve practices afterwards.

Posted by: Andy | February 28, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Brent "Undisclosed Lower Body Injury" Johnson.

Shame of it is, Johnny could have gone to Montreal and been the veteran goalie they need to back up Carey Price in the playoffs. Bet would could have gotten even more from the Habs for him.

Posted by: stepguybrian | February 28, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Send Johnson to Hershey, and trade him for a 6th round draft choice in the offseason

Way to go McPhee. You broke it...You buy it....

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Laich to the second line? I like it. He'll pot all the rebounds Semin and Fedorov generate.

Posted by: Jordan | February 28, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@ Yo Ay, My point is that goalies get hot and cold and play different teams better/worse -- so plug in the guy who gives the Caps the best chance to win. So I looked at who is trending up (Kolzig and Johnson) versus who is trending down (Huet). I also looked at who has played NJ the best this year (too little data).

@ SA-Town, thanks for the clarification. I often enjoy your thought-out, well-informed posts (like Sombero Guy & Raber)as opposed to the ranters and ravers (like Chief & Finn).

Right now, I'd start Ollie or Johnson, and have Huet get used to the team. I'd then start the odd-man out against the Leafs -- who are surprisinly hot right now.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Im feeling that 2nd line.

Posted by: Jake | February 28, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone paste the lines in?

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

JIM,

It's up in Tarik's updated blog posting...

Posted by: Leigh | February 28, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't like it at all. Laich had one good night, he doesn't need to be playing with Semin and Fedorov out of the gate. Flash has been putting up assists and playing well. He will benefit most from Fedorov.

Kolzig should be watching, not Johnny. Olie's got the worst save % in the league. That should speak louder than $.

Who's odd man out when Cooke arrives?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Opps, I should have refreshed. I do not breaking up the hot third line. Laich is a better center than Gordo, my 2 cents

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Hooo-AAAAAAAAAAy practiced without his mask. OLD SCHOOL!

It's a shame for johnny, but he'll be here next year. can't be said for Ollie.

Posted by: Lee | February 28, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Why break up the Laich/Flash/Fehr line? At least give them one more game...

Posted by: unknown | February 28, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

What about Laing? Where was he?

Posted by: on ice | February 28, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Laich doesnt hog and cough up the puck like flash does. Hopefully sasha will like playing with federov.

Posted by: Jake | February 28, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Don't be so sure about that Lee....

Posted by: Andy | February 28, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

No mention of Laing in that lineup.

Posted by: Stormblue | February 28, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Laing is out there on the fourth line. Not sure who is going to sit. Might know after practice.

Posted by: Tarik | February 28, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Laings on the 5th line with Steckel and Brasher and Bradley...

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@unknown

BB prolly broke up the Flash/Laich/Fehr line because fehr will be sent down once Cooke is here.

Laich deserves a shot at a scoring line since hes got the hot hand and his line from tuesday will be broken up anyways.

Posted by: MetalCap | February 28, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

About last 5 Huet games... I think AO really destroyed Huet's confidence. You could see it in his body language after Ovie scored 3 goals. He went into slump after that and that's why Canadians traded him. And we are lucky to have him for almost nothing. He is 32, it is a prime for a goalie. He will get out of slump, Olie won't.

Olie won't because he is old. If Olie were 32, I'd defend him as well, but I don't see Olie will improve. From now it's only downhill for him.

Patrick Roy let 8 goals from RWs in one game and he asked for a trade. He was traded to Avs, he recovered in Denver and he got another Stanley Cup ring.

Huet will get out of slump, but he needs help from the management. He needs to be told that he is #1 right now. If he won't play to expectations, which I doubt, that's another story, but he needs that confidence vote from management. Without that it makes complete nonsence to bring him here.

Actually Roy got two rings. In any case last 5 games for Huet is similar to what Roy got when he was traded. Very similar to what we have now. It doesn't happen every day. GMGM got burned on Bryzgalov, but he bounced back with Huet.

Huet is #1, end of story.

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

So is this the end for Laing?

Posted by: not good | February 28, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Breaking up the Fehr, Laich, Flash line that did so well a few nights ago doesn't seem a great idea. Should be Gordo on that wing. Hopefully Clark can get back and take that spot.

Posted by: Laich! | February 28, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Tarik started a new one, and I was still in old thread, reposting... :)

Nobody said it, but Backstom really struggles. I really like the kid, he is unbelievably talented, but I think when he reached that mark of 40+ games they usually play in Swedish league, he folded.

That doesn't help Ovechkin either. Maybe, if Fedorov will show up, it makes sense to put Ovechkin and Fedorov together.

Backstrom is in his rookie year and he is exhausted.

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm..this is not what I wanted for Johnny considering he's been playing well. I hope that they are going to do a three man rotation and him sitting out only means he won't be in the game on Friday....

Posted by: kcme | February 28, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Yo Ay,

I'm not sure what game's you've been watching, but I feel like Backstrom's game has only gotten better and stronger as the year has gone on. I don't think he looks tired at all, and I don't think theres any correlation between him and Ovey's "slump" in the last 6 games.....

Posted by: Leigh | February 28, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Leigh...it's not Backstrom having a slump or looking tired it's Ovie...

Posted by: K | February 28, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I don't see any fatigue in Backy's play... I still have a lot of confidence when he decides to rush up the ice. He has the ability to dictate the pace of the game.

Posted by: capthis! | February 28, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@ Yo Ay,

So how do you explain Ollie being hot right now, putting up good numbers in GAA and S%? I think he's NOT too old to be good right now. Look at some data already and stop ranting.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

My Laing jersey finally shipped. Put him in the lineup!

Posted by: Jordan | February 28, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom looks fine. It's mostly Ovie missing his shots.

Posted by: tallbear | February 28, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Im selling 2tickets for the game 2mmrow in Jersey!!! i cant go im sick as a dog!!!
Section 13
Row 2
Seats 3/4
Face Value there $115 each
Im selling them for $150 total...

If you want these tickets please contact me ASAP! will meet sometime 2nite/2mmrow morning to exchange 2tickets/$$$

My Cell 703-994-3784 (Ask 4 Zack)

Posted by: ZackAttack | February 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Would rather see laing out there more than brads or gordon. I like the way he plays. He helps us out on the pk more than anyone on the team by the way he blocks shots. I would love to see him stay on the team for the rest of the season

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@ Yo Ay, Backstrom looks good in the games. He needs a consistent line to work with. Taking off Kozlov hurt the top line and other teams have played the Caps topline with their checking line and top defenders because they can. Now with an effective second line and a third line that is starting to find itself will help out the topline. If Clark comes back, the second line or third line (wherever he goes) gets a lot better.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't think its a slump. I think they hang out a lot together and probably caught the same bug and have been feeling under the weather but keep playing. Don't forget, the flu virus has changed considerably. Everyone I know thats had it this year has been down for at least 5 days and has taken 2 weeks to return to feeling 'normal'. Thats a long time to feel lousy. Plus, Ovie squeezes the stick harder when he comes up on 40 and 50. He's done it every year. This time, its coupled with the flu.

Backstrom does seem a little more tired. There isn't as much jump in his step. But I believe that there is one major reason: He has been getting hit HARD in the corners and along the walls. He's on the top line. Its going to happen every game. He still needs more bulk and more muscle. All the hitting is slowing him down and he surely has some aches and pains.

Posted by: Ovie will hit 50 by saturday | February 28, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Man, riding the pine in practice? That sucks. That can't even do some rotation.

BB comment 1: George, thanks dropping this pile of doug-doo on my lap.
BB comment 2: Johnny, great effort this year. You've really developed as a keeper and even outshined Olie in some cases. You've been great for the team. Now, grab some pine. If you need binnoculars to watch a game from the press box, you might want to buy some.

Oy.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 28, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

When Cooke gets here everyone will be battling for a 3RD and 4th line spot kinda like training camp. Cooke is crazy!

Posted by: Jake | February 28, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

With all this talk of Huet, Fedor, we're forgetting the most important thing: Clark is almost back.

That'g going to make more of a difference than anyone can imagine, although I'll bet its going to be a few more weeks.

As for this goalie cluster----, I bet Huet makes his debut against the Leafs on Saturday, since he's owned them in recent years.

Posted by: jds | February 28, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

G&M:
Montreal: The cover headline of the Journal de Montréal, in response to the Canadiens trading starting goaltender Cristobal Huet to the Washington Capitals, read: Un Pari Risqué (a risky bet). Red Fisher of the Gazette wrote: "So, yes, I'm surprised that Huet is gone. It's a mistake." Team 990 afternoon host Mitch Melnick said fan reaction was running 80-20 negatively to the Huet trade.

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

it might take time but clarkie will be back on the top line.

Posted by: jds | February 28, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

petty played 15 min in his debut with vancouver and poseted 0-0-0 with a -1 rating, we will see how cooke does.

Posted by: jds | February 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Clark back on the top line would be a good idea. then maybe an all russian 2nd line sasha fed and koz. can you say brutal ?

Posted by: Jake | February 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

On Backstrom: he is ok, but he is not the same when he had two 4 points games in a row. I still think the long season took him down a bit.

It doesn't affect AO much, I agree, but it doesn't help him either when his center struggles.

The last game was the worst game for both Ovie and Backis. Ovie was very good vs. NJ, the game before, I don't know what happened in the last game vs. Wild though. He was not himself.

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

When did Dan Snyder buy the Caps? This circus reeks of the Snyder era Redskins

Posted by: sean | February 28, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@ Jake -- Keep Kovlov on the first line, or put Clark on it when he gets back. The top line needs a physical presence to keep other teams honest and pull pucks off the boards and feed them to OV/Backstorm. Flash just doesn't fit the bill.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

some of you people dont understand that Ovechkin's slump is no big deal. and backstrom is fine. when teams play us their only concerns are shut down line 1. they do that they win. ovechkin and backstrom cant score when the puck is in our zone like a powerplay.

Posted by: Jake | February 28, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Laing should never be scratched. That boy plays his heart out. I know we need scorers out there but having a guy like Laing in the lineup blocking shots is huge for the team and the crowd!

Posted by: Capintampa | February 28, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

good call jim

Posted by: Jake | February 28, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Uh, guys? In hockey there are two (2) goals. We have three (3) goalies. Since it would be difficult to have two goalies in the same goal at the same time, someone has to sit out.

I suspect that there will be some sort of rotation.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Huet and Johnson should play. Kolzig, the diva, should sit.

Posted by: Tim | February 28, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Oy Ay,

So if Backstrom doesn't score 4 points every night he must be tired? I don't think that particularely logical considering most nights there isn't a 4-point scorer in the whole league. He's the 1st rookie in quite awhile to have back-to-back 4-point games, so clearly it's not an easy thing to do.

Posted by: Leigh | February 28, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

As much as I cringe when I think about it, I do think that getting Clark back onto the first once he's back into the swing of things would be interesting. The sheer number of shots his two partners dole out would offer up a lot of chances for him.

Posted by: keef | February 28, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@sean

No, if this were a Snyder operation, not only would he have traded for all these players, he would have signed them to 6-year, $70 million deals with $24 million signing bonuses that the club would have to pay until 2031.

And he would have traded all of our draft picks to get the rights to Clark Gillies.

Posted by: Eddie C | February 28, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to the caps website crew and the photoshop job the did for cooke on the headshots page...lol.

i dont think backstrom is playing bad, but the one thing we havent tried in order to create secondary scoring is switching backie to the second line and now that we have another quality center...it wouldnt hurt to try.

Posted by: jds | February 28, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Ovie had a slump like this around the same time two years ago. He snapped out of it in time to finish the season with a flourish. and the calder.

Posted by: Clarendon | February 28, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Ugh...Backstrom is our first line center. Today. Tomorrow. Next year. The year after.

He's not going down to the second line unless you send Ovie down with him.

Ovie's slump is partly due to the coverage he's faced since that Montreal game. It's bad for his personal stats but it's good for the team as it opens scoring chances for them with the opponent's top lines so concerned with Ovie.

Posted by: keef | February 28, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

i think after clark is back, the caps will certainly take off for the better. ovie is in his slump but not to worry fans, he'll bounce back like usual so expect the top line to be once again dominant when kozlov returns from the flu. maybe not against NJ but certainly against the surging maple leafs. i'm excited to see the new team friday night. however i believe that the 3rd line of laich-fehr-fleishmann shouldn't be broken up too soon after the performance last game. laich was all over the place which was exciting to see. great move by GMGM to get laich for bondra a few years back from ottawa! lets go capsss!

Posted by: james | February 28, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Folks,
When you only have one line that can score they face the other teams best checkers THE WHOLE GAME. Even if it's a home game and we have the last change the visitors coach does everything he can to stack his best D-players on Ovie and Niki

The best way for Ovie and Niki to break their "slump" is for this team to find a 2nd line that scores consistently and a third line that can chip in. This will start to happen soon IMO.

Posted by: LIVINIT | February 28, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I hope this goalie situation doesn't implode.

Goalies minds are weird and complicated to begin with. Does a goalie not play the next game, 2 or 3 if he lets 2 get in that he wished he could take back?

I know Johnny doesn't feel good right now watching practice from the bench. I think overall, his play has been better than Olie's this year. He had an exceptional game against NJ last Saturday. Does he get to play Jersey again Friday" I think most would say, no.

These guys might be playing like there standing on egg shells in the crease. This is a mess unless someone gets hurt.

Maybe we could have goalies change of the fly during the game. BB "Dump it guys - I want to have Olie and Huet goalie change now!"

Posted by: Nils | February 28, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Tarik

What does the pp look like?

Posted by: Dorsey | February 28, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to seeing Cooke out there. Really looking forward to Cooke and a healthy Clark out there. The all Russian second line could be scary good.

Posted by: Steve R | February 28, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

All Russian second line when Koz plays right wing there that is as Laich isn't Russian....

Posted by: Steve R | February 28, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It is interesting to read the criticism that gmgm is taking because of having 3 goalies at this late in the season. I know some of you wanted gmgm to pick up Iiya earlier in the year. It seems like no one expressed interest in Johnson or Kolzig at the trade deadline. How do you think it would have played out with 3 goalies back in Nov. with one taking up a roster spot every game?

Posted by: jay | February 28, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@Leigh

No, you don't have to score 4 points to be spectacular. Ovie had an excellent game vs. NJ, and he didn't score a goal. But it was unbelievably awesome to watch.

It was awesome to watch Backis back then, now he just doesn't spoil the picture. I don't have another explanation other than him being tired. He played only 40 games in Swedish league. Malkin complained of fatigue last year, when he was a rookie.

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

1) Just an opinion, but it would be a mistake to remove Laing from the lineup when Cooke arrives. He's an inportant PK/energy guy that others rally around
2) We'd sit The Donald. As much as we like Brashear, this time of year his usefulness wanes.

Posted by: Fauxrumors | February 28, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Yo Ay,

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see the fatigue in Backstrom that you see.

Posted by: Leigh | February 28, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

jay,

Another way of looking at that is - How would the doomsayers react to knowing that GMGM had a shot at landing Huet for chump change and passed on it?

It was too good to pass up. There wasn't a market for Olie/BJ, so we'll just have to deal with it. Any of you would have made the same freaking move. You'd have been nuts not to.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 28, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

keef

you cant think of it as first line, second line...its all about scoring and if having backstrom on a different line than OV opens up oppurtunites for both of them, then mission accomplished. But i understand where your coming from, backstrom is our best center...who knows how federov will do.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve R | February 28, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, Clark is a third liner. Has anyone given any thought to a line up of -
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kozlov
Semin - Fedorov - Fleischman (Wings can be swapped)
Cooke - Laich - Clark
Brash/Brads - Gordon - Laing.
You now have scoring from all lines but the fourth, and the fourth is a high octane energy line. The third is a line other teams will HATE defending, and top line is the top line.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 28, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The reason there is a 3 goalie situation now as opposed to back in Nov is that the trade deadline is over. The roster is locked in that way, where back in Nov we had options. ??

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

According to Darren Pang (for whatever that's worth), GMGM tried to move Johnson after the Huet deal came in, but couldn't find a market for him.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 28, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Whiter Mage,

I like the lines you have drawn up there and agree with someone earlier who said Brashear will need to sit. It's true, especially with Cooke here as well.Also Bradley reminds me a little bit of Cooke, both physical, Cooke more so but high energy players.

You can't scratch Laing, his value on the PK is too great. Plus a lot of you are assuming Clark is returning. I would love to see him back, but i just don't know.

Posted by: G-Rub | February 28, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Im not feeling moving Laich to the second line. I liked him with Flash and Fehr.

Move Brads upto the Second line, or put Cooke on there.

Posted by: TJ | February 28, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Huet to start tomorrow. Would have thought he'd get the start vs. the Leafs.

This is going to be very interesting to watch.

Posted by: JPC | February 28, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Interesting choice to start Huet in NJ. His save % was .769 when he last faced them. Hope Friday's results will be substantially better!

Posted by: Jill | February 28, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@TJ Move bradely to the 2nd line are you kidding me?

Posted by: Jake | February 28, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

1. Why Laich on the 2nd rather than Fleischmann? Laich 13 goals, Fleischmann 8. Laich -1, Fleischmann -5.

2. Why break up the FLF line? Cooke gets the 3rd line RW job when he arrives. That leaves only one of them on the line.

3. Kolzig is play not watching because since the allstar break he has easily the best numbers of the three of them.

Posted by: Rob | February 28, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Brophy is an idiot. Aside from a few posters here, GMGM's job most likely wasn't in jeopardy at all.

Posted by: tallbear | February 28, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Tallbear,

Agreed, this is the same GM that everyone has been signing the praises of over our YOUNG GUNS all year long. I guess it's more exciting his way, though..

Posted by: Jordan | February 28, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@Whiter Mage

While I agree with your assessment of Clark, with the amount of pucks Ovie and Nicky toss at the net, there's no one there to get the dirty goal. Getting Clark up to that first line gets someone in front of the net.

Posted by: keef | February 28, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Slightly not suprised at the rotation. Olie loves to play at home, and he's been doing well hre of late.

Going to be an intersting few weeks for sure.

Posted by: EricS | February 28, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

How did Fedorov look at practice?

Posted by: Finn | February 28, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@HolyOlie

No one has a problem with the Huet deal.

I have a problem that Johnson wasnt traded for even a low draft pick somewhere.

Ottawa should of taken him...The way they are playing they need a 3rd goalie much more then we do.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 28, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Whiter Mage, you left off Steckel.

Posted by: Brent | February 28, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@Finn

Federov looked great...flying all over the place...hitting people left and right...shooting from all angles.....He stayed after practice and worked on his Spin-O-Rama for about an hour..

Posted by: Goober | February 28, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

To anyone who DIDN'T read the Hockey News summary, here are some interesting tidbits one poster provided why we should feel great about these acquisitions:

"David Kramer (Posted 2008-02-28 02:44:27)

Huet has a career .917 save percentage. This is better than that of Lundqvist (.916), Kiprusoff (.915), Giguere (.915), Legace (.915), Turco (.914), Vokoun (.913), Brodeur (.913), Roy (.910), Khabibulin (.907), Belfour (.906), Joseph (.902), and nearly everyone else -- although not as good as Hasek (.923) or Luongo (.920). In the '05-'06 season, Huet led the NHL in save percentage, and then was .929 in six playoff games. I would hardly call this playing "fairly well" or being a "work in progress." If Canadiens management didn't recognize him as a bona fide starter, then that reflects poorly on them, not on him. McPhee didn't "tinker"; he pulled off a major heist that could give the Capitals an elite goalie for years to come. I doubt that McPhee's job is in danger, since all of Ted Leonsis' statements indicate that he is happy with the Capitals' rebuilding process. Nylander's injury and Kolzig's disappointing play were unexpected developments this season, but McPhee has addressed them appropriately."

Posted by: Shaggy | February 28, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't really an accident. Steckel can fight Gordon for the last line center spot, and it's really a toss up as to who I'd rather have.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 28, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, Johnson was offered around, no takers (even Ottawa!) at around $850K for next year. BJ is a career backup, nothing better and has not been consistent (good that is) since his Blues days. While BJ has played better than OldieZilla who should have been waived long ago, for some strange reason, many fans and management can't seem to tell Loaf to hit the road. Winning is everything especially at NHL ticket prices. Go Huet/CAPS!

Posted by: dossier | February 28, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. Remember Canadiens traded Roy to Denver. What we have now is very similar to what Avs got back then.

They had Sakic, Forsberg, but without a good goalie you won't get anywhere.

We might witnessed a great moment in Caps history, i.e. Huet's acquisition. He might be what Roy became to Avs.

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't disagree, but Roy had won a cup before. huet has not won a cup.

Posted by: @Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... Hockey has three periods, we have three goalies... I wonder...

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@Goober

I thought you went to Russia and disappeared there after Red Wings got rid of you. :-)

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

i made the @yo ay comment earlier. Sorry for the mistag.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 28, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Keep Johnny and Can Kolzig!!!!

Posted by: Mitch | February 28, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll be anxious to hear what the powerplay looks like -- potentially solid through two different shifts. Wouldn't that be nice?

As far as Huet, Habs fans are pissed off that he went for so cheap. And pissing off Habs fans is always good. But really, a young team like the Caps having a little bit of a slide needs a morale boost, and this and Federov is perfect.

I miss Steve Konowalchuk. Anybody else?

Posted by: Nicky | February 28, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@ Keef,

Either Kozlov or Clark on either 1st or 2nd RW. Both are a physical presence and can dump in rebounds, pull pucks off the boards. Flash is not a good compliment to Semin as both tend to be offense first, don't crash the net, and aren't really great along the boards. They both skare through traffic and shot the puck in a lot. I think the Caps need to balance their top three lines with Flash on the third, centered by Laich, and either Cooke or Fehr on the right. Three lines that can score and be responsible for the puck -- looking pretty good.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I just miss watching the team play hockey past the first week of April. Dad-gummit, it's playoffs or bust, that should be the mentality.

Posted by: Mitch | February 28, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town,

I see your point and to an extent I agree with you, but there are a couple of other points that are worth mentioning as well.

Brent is not a rental - he's under contract until the end of '08-'09. Teams looking for a short-term solution (which they generally are this time of year) might be a little less eager to take on a guy that might not fit into the plans next season.

Brent is not a starter. He's a decent backup, but the market for backup goalies may be less than that for starters.

Lastly, and I could be mistaken, but just because the trade deadline has passed does not necessarily mean that he can't be moved. The way I understand it, players can still be traded, but they are barred from participating in the playoffs. He might be able to be moved to a team that isn't going anywhere apart from the golf course in April for a non-roster body or pick.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 28, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Not traveling with the team and havign a sit down with GMGM. Hmmm, that really doesn't sound encouraging. Last thing we need right now is "drama". Not saying that it's Bret's fault or anything, but still.

Posted by: EricS | February 28, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Whoa! Wonder what that sit down is going to be all about! I really don't think Johnny is the weak link here....

Posted by: K | February 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Every report I've seen has Cooke on the left. Why does everyone here seem to want him on the right?

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Huet has not won a cup because he was never a Capital...

you people are crazy... how bout we have goalie talks in a few weeks... or talk about the lines at the end of the season. BB said there is only one def pair and that is Alex and Backstrom.

So, all the complaining about lines and the 3 goalies is just making the page load slower.

It does not matter - let BB do his work... if it's meant to be, it up to Ovie

When is the last time the Caps scored 6 goals? I want to see it.

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I'm liking the way BB is handling this situation. Seems a little unfair to Johnson.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see Brads-Steckel-Laing on the 4th line. I think Bradley provides more energy than Brashear and, while not a heavyweight, he can play the enforcer role. I like Brash but I just think that there is more of an upside to going with Bradley

Posted by: Scott | February 28, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Whiter Mage
Which LW do you move for Cooke? OV, no. Semin, no. Flash, maybe. On the 4th line, how much does it matter? But Cooke may be a waste for the 4th line. I see him as a good compliment to Flash and Laich, that is if Fehr will be sent down to work on his game while getting more minutes.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Johnny. He hasn't been bad this season, but what are you going to do. If the Caps had somehow pulled off trading for Luongo, both Johnny and Olie would be left out. It's just the way it is. 2 #1 goalies means that the #2 guy must sit.

Posted by: jwh37 | February 28, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

right shots on the left wing, left shots on the right with...works better.

Posted by: jds | February 28, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@828,

I don't think we've had a 6 goal game since we merged the "Bored at Work" Club with the "6 Goal CLub." I'm at a loss.

Posted by: Lee | February 28, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

That truely sucks for Johnson. I'm a fan of his and his hot wife.

any chance he can go down to hershey and play? (better then being cut if you ask me)

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 28, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Lee, you are now banned from the 6 Goal Club... take your Bored at Work club and get the hell on...

It's for the best, right? It's not you, it's me? Hot pocket?

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure I like the lines.

Maybe they should have left 43-21-14 together and put Gordo with Fedorov.

Of course if Clarke was healthy, he'd look good there as well.

Posted by: CantMissKid | February 28, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? Johnson is out? come on GMGM be serious OLIE is DONE thats why you brought in Huet... Olie's time has passed.....let Johnny and Huet take the reigns until varlamov and neuvirth are ready!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: capsfan98 | February 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Brent. He's been nothing but a team player the whole time he's been with the org. Hope they can work something out for him that recognizes this.

Posted by: katzistan | February 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@ jds -- Shooting side can matter, but also the players fit in a system. In Detriot's vaunted Left Wing Lock that Bowman used, the LW had to be a responsible defensively minded player, making sure the no one got through the neutral zone unmolested. Some teams play an umbrella system in which the center plays back, shooting from the point, while the wings play the boards and the crease. The Swedes play the torpedo scheme that is pretty much the opposite. The point is, make sure you have a position covered by the appropriate player. Semin in a LW Lock would be terrible, but is great in an umbrella.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Any chance Johnson's wife becomes one of those hockey cheerleader girls...

Posted by: Broseph | February 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Ok, we'll go. It's for the good of the team.

If Sluggo was still here, we'd know what to do!

Posted by: Lee | February 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Let's take a look at each of their last 10 games:

Huet: GAA-3.36 Save %-.925
Kolzig: GAA-2.54 Save %-.910
Johnson: GAA -2.57 Save %-.913 (keep in mind Johnson's 10 games starts on 27 Dec.)

Just saying, it seems to me they're all pretty equal. If you have to choose, you go with the two guys that are actual starters, not the back up.

Call me an Olie lover, but stats don't lie. There's no denying he had a horrific start to the season, but since the new year, he's looked relatively strong.

Posted by: Yosh | February 28, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Lee,
It's official - the Bored at Work and the 6 Goal clubs have been split up.

It will be raining wings soon - I can almost taste it.

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The bottome line is our goaltending situation was very iffy before Tuesday. Now it is vastly improved. Mitchell made a good comment on 980 just now. Johnny is the only goalie under contract after this year. Maybe the Caps plan is to have Olie and Cris play it out and then they'll decide at the end of the year who the #1 is and say farewell who is not. And Johnny will stay on as the backup. He was a backup this year anyway and has been for the last 3 years.

Posted by: dave | February 28, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Me thinks Johnson will get his chance before the end of the year.

If Huet gets shelled in NJ, and Kolzig wins in TOR, Johnson most likely will get the next start

Posted by: CantMissKid | February 28, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I just want to thank Johnny for all he has given the Caps. I understand the business side of things and acquiring a number 1 goaltender for a cheap price is a must take deal. It isn't fair to Johnny and he is probably going to get the short stick outta town so I just wanted to say thanks to him for what he has done for the organization on and off the ice. Brent Johnson is a real class act professional.

Posted by: Phil9 | February 28, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Dave, if you are correct - then who is the bridge for the new goalies coming up? We need a goalie that can last 2-4 years... is that Kolzig?

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

i agree with the fact that business is business. johnny has pulled his load but overall, hasn't quite got the numbers needed to be a cup contender. as for kolzig, he's been playing better of late and the combo of himself and huet might just be what the doctor ordered. huet is a remarkable goalie still in his prime. with great goaltending and capable offense spread out i look to see the caps back in the postseason this year as a lower seed. a great run indeed since BB took over! johnny must sit. sorry he's the odd man out now.

Posted by: james | February 28, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@ 1:20 - how would you propose BB handle the situation? GMGM stuck him with 3 goalies, and he has to figure out the best plan to win games. He has let Johnny know that they are going to have a conversation about it. What else would you suggest?

Posted by: Jill | February 28, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

the chances of huet being resigned by the caps are pretty high indeed. especially with him being in his prime still

Posted by: james | February 28, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Jill,
According to some of these experts - I think BB just has them draw straws - who ever has the short straw gets the start.

I'll bet Huet plays at least 12 of the remaining 18 games.

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm interested to see how Huet does with our D in front of him. Fantastic trade, by the way.

I do think Backstrom hasn't looked great in the past few games. he does look tired. He's not going after ppl in the defensive zone like he used to, and he's not carrying the puck as effectively as he used to, either. I wouldn't take him off Ovechkin's line, and, frankly, i think Kozlov's return to the 1st will be a great help to both Backstrom and Ovechkin.

I can't wait to see what Semin and Federov are able to do together.

And here's to Ovie breaking out a couple of goals against Marty on Friday. *raises glass*

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 28, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

the chances of Huet resigning are very good. Where else could he go and be the one goalie?

Posted by: unknown | February 28, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this a nice problem to have? how do we soothe the #3 goalie's feelings for the remainder of the season? I prefer Johnnie, but it's not gonna happen this season. They won't make Ollie #3. But he probably won't be back next season. And nobody pointed out the statement that huet is making by taking number 38. He's one better than ollie!

Posted by: Lee | February 28, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I miss Kono too. Kono and dahlen used to just pin the puck in the corners, pass it around between them, and then feed Halpern in the slot. It was beautiful. Since the fire sale, we've had a tenuous checking line. Cooke will shore up 3 and 4 but he is not going to be scoring goals and passing. He's not that guy. Anyone who thinks that is loco. He was traded for Petty because their stats this year are the same and Cooke doesn't fight the right fights. Had Petty been scoring 20 goals this wouldn't have happened BUT they still need someone feisty. Cooke vs Avery will be fun!

I feel bad for Johnny too. I like him. It looks like Mcphee is planning on having Olie as the backup or bringing up a youngun to sit behind Huet next year. Eitherway, as long as we have a solid #1 things are good. Its a tough position but a good one to be in. Huet for a steal.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Some of you people absolutely amaze me. You are SO THICK! The truth of the matter is that George McPhee got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He thought he had a deal for Kolzig ( Most likely with San Jose ) but was deceived at the last minute.
Not even George McPhee is stupid enough to INTENTIONALLY end up with 3 goalies. I mean, give the man credit for not being a complete and total buffoon. Even HE understands that's a recipe for disaster.
And, PLEASE people. Stop entertaining the fantasy that he attempted to trade B. Johnson. That's lunacy. Johnson makes one tenth the money The Great Olie Kolzig makes, yet has outshown him consistently all year.
Furthermore, be advised that this isn't the 1st, or even the 2nd time George has attempted to rid himself of the diva known as "Godzilla." His 1st attempt was during the fire sale 4 years ago. Unfortunately, for us Caps fans, no other GM in the league holds Kolzig in such awe as Big George. So, as was the case 2 days ago, McPhee was unable to get the inflated return ( For Kolzig )he continues to insist on.
The truly sad part about this goalie fiasco, is that NOBODY WINS. Not Huet. Not Kolzig. And, certainly not Johnson, who has had the royal screws put to him.
So, PLEASE forget the "Spin." George messed up BIG TIME. But, that's an old familiar frain with him. Isn't it....

Posted by: Puckguru | February 28, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@Jill,
I think, given Olies performance this year, that BB needs to come up with a way to rotate all three of the goalies. Olie may be given the title of number one goalie but he doesn't seem to put up the numbers that he should. By having Brent sit on the bench during practice you're isolating him and I don't think he's the one we want to give up right now. I see him and Huet being here the next couple years b/c I don't really see Olie being productive until Varlomov and Neuverith are ready to get here. I understand the loyalty to Olie but his play has diminished. Make it an even rotation b/t Olie and Johnny and possibly give Huet more starts only b/c he seems to be the most consistent. It doesn't even seem as though Johnny is getting the option to fight for a position and I don't think that's fair given the Olie's been all year.
Sorry I hit submit before I put my name up before.

Posted by: kcme | February 28, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This has to be a thrill for Laich and Ovy. I feel bad for Johnny. I guess something will be worked out.

Posted by: EricS | February 28, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Haha - Lee, that is too funny. I did not look at it like that. Maybe he did if for Federov's age or Kolzig's age next year...

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@STH

The renewal packs arrived today...ticket prices are up but the kicker is a new 10% tax that DC is imposing on ALL ticket sales.

Posted by: keef | February 28, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I think of it more as Huet is coming AFTER Kolzig, not that he's one better.

Posted by: Jordan | February 28, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Puckguru - how did GMGM mess up? We have played one game since the trade and have won... someone tell me why people are freaking out?

Like I said before - if anyone on the team has an issue about this - then they should leave. This is a team sport.

The Caps are trying to make the playoffs - not be on reality tv.

I just want to know why people are freaking out - nothing bad (in the playoff picture) has come of this yet... isn't that the point - to make the playoffs?

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@ keef

Did they raise the prices across the board (minus the 10% tax)?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 28, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

This is a mess. I think that George wanted to trade Ollie and it fell through. Nobody has three goalies on their squad. Nobody that is except George. This could be a big disease on the team. It kind of makes you question George's previous statements about 'good locker chemistry' and its value. Now both Ollie and Brent are angry. Those of us in Section 411 could not understand why on Tuesday and we still don't on Thursday.

Posted by: Ted Ferragut | February 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh good, puckguru is back to insult people.

Posted by: Leigh | February 28, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@Go Skins Go

I'd assume it's across all seats. I was only concerned about the pricing of mine. :)

Posted by: keef | February 28, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

maybe NHL revenues and salary caps are going up because ticket prices keep going up, mr Bettman, you ass. "We have the cheapest ticket prices out of the top 4 sports," yeah, because you're the #4 sport. I hate that guy. Ticket prices up again and they still haven't made the playoffs and if the do make them, it'll likely be from the weakest division thanks to Bettmans stupid rules.

Posted by: Hmm | February 28, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Puckguru - Sounds like your the one thats THICK in the head.

Yea the caps are gona have 3 goalies on the roster, for what another 18 games. Big deal. Neither Olie or Huet has a contract for next season.

GMGM was not going to trade Kolzig, if you actually think that you havent been following this team for that long. And what makes you think Olie has any value anyway?

TJ

Posted by: TJ | February 28, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"Stop entertaining the fantasy that he attempted to trade B. Johnson. That's lunacy. Johnson makes one tenth the money The Great Olie Kolzig makes, yet has outshown him consistently all year."

Exactly. Nobody's going to take Olie for the money he's paid vs the numbers he puts up. BJ was the only tradeable goalie we had.

I love how you disprove your convoluted point while trying to make it ;)

Also, Eklund is not a reliable source for rumors.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 28, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't think so, Leigh. It makes sense. maybe not exactly as stated. Could be that Huet plopped in his lap and there was insufficient time to create a palatable deal, but stuck he is.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@ 828 -- why bother with Puckguru. He's a ranting pessimist, along with Chief. You ain't gonna make a dent. I do agree with your assessment of a potentially great trade deadline by GMGM

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Food for thought. I am sure that everybody is aware of the current & future logjam at the 4th line level & maybe Petty was traded to Van because it was the easy way to get rid of him, seeing as he had another year left on his contract. Also, Cooke is a ufa after this year, so it will be easy to let him go if he doesn't set the world on fire----- from what I have read, he probably won't.

One other thought. Fehr will probably be the 1st line right wing next year or the year after & for many years thereafter.

Posted by: sidehillman | February 28, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I find it extremely sad many of you seem to find a FRENCH goalie desireable on any level!

Posted by: Bob | February 28, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

PUCKGURU IS HERE! I was so waiting for his insight to the moves that were made on tuesday. Oh, marvel us with your knowledge!

Posted by: Lee | February 28, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.,

I didnt say his main point wasnt valid, I had a problem with the delivery of his point, which is par for the course for him. He can't seem to make a point without insulting people in the process.

Posted by: Leigh | February 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

If Johnson is upset, he can come work my job for one day. He wont think being a 3rd string goalie is so bad once he's scrubbing the toilets at a correctional facility!!!

Posted by: goober | February 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@ Bob -- is that a joke or are you really that much of Francophobe? Or are you Dick Cheney posing as a human being?

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Jim - I know it, but it's not just Puckguru... it's a lot of people that have issue with this. To those - I am confused - has it hurt the team yet? Have they started their spiral already? Do you really think the locker room is a bunch of high school kids in it? Maybe Ovechkin will actually get to take some real shots during practice.

Greg S - I agree...

How could GMGM pass this up - a top goalie for so cheap - WHY NOT? Plus, we needed a bridge anyways.

Why do I even write on this thing? People have an opinion about everything - oh, did you hear about how Laich ate a french fry from Green's lunch and now Green isn't talking to him? I think the team is going to spiral now.

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@828,

Were those "French" fries or "Freedom" fries. Because that would explain everything.

Posted by: Lee | February 28, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@ 828 -- That's Freedom Fries, buddy. Don't upset Bob on top of Puckguru.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The comments on this blog about this goalie situation are a little absurd.

1. It is not that uncommon to carry three goalies this time of year, especially when of the first two, one is 39 and the other is a career backup, and neither have played that well down the stretch.

2. Both Johnson and Kolzig can be as made as they want, but both have to realize that they have played poorly. In my opinion, the Caps would have all those 5 points that separate them from the playoffs and more right now if these guys had made some of the saves they are supposed to.

3. A related point - Kolzig and Johnson give up CRAZY rebounds. I've never seen two supposedly good, experienced goalies give up such horrible rebounds. The one Johnson gave up in overtime against the Devils last week, that led to the winning goal, should have gotten him cut. You don't turn a weak wrist shot back out in front of your own goal. You either deflect it to the corner or keep it in front of you and cover it up. Any NHL goalie could have controlled that shot, and the Caps would have had a chance to get an extra point.

P.S. The guy comparing the Caps to Danny Boy's Redskins must have a major screw loose. The franchises couldn't be more different. For one thing, the Caps have a GM!

Posted by: Southside FFX | February 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

GMGM has been quitely cleaning up since the strike ended. His moves have been fantastic. Bringing in Huet gives the Capitals hope not only for this season but for next season that we've got the goalie who can take us to the next level. Those days are clearly behind Olie now as teams score consistently from BEHIND the net on him.

I hope Fedorov fits in seamlessly and that we can resign him for a one-year deal...!

I'm as excited as I've ever been for this franchise.

Posted by: MTB | February 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@828

Don't blame Greene...Laich is known for that crap..."Hands to yourself!"

Posted by: LOAFkolzig | February 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

NO BALLS.
The way to handle this is to send BJ down to Hershey. That's it.

Posted by: Chief | February 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Man, things just get worse and worse for Johnny. Now he's not even traveling with the team. I guess Clark can have someone to shoot at now when he skates alone.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 28, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Better watch out Lee, you might be handed the handle of "Grasshopper" by the Guru.

Posted by: Steve R | February 28, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Southside FFX - the experts would say that it's the defensive faults because they did not clear the crease. Heaven forbid that our goalies can't deflect their rebounds to the sides. Or at least get in front of the goal when you have NO IDEA where the puck is.

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Well hi there Chief. Forgot to take your meds again. How will sending Johnson down help the Caps or the Bears. The Bears have Cheesy playing well and Cassivi who has gotten them to the Calder finals the last two years. Does Johnson working hard and sent down send a good signal to the lockerroom? Let GMGM and Johnson work it out.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

MY DAY IS MADE! Chief is here too! All we need is "Someoneelsewhoknows" and sluggo, and we can fix all of our ills!

Posted by: Lee | February 28, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Bob seemed fine with Huet yesterday when he thought he was Canadian.

Posted by: Jill | February 28, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@PuckGuru

Yes, but...

Montreal screwed up worse. You are exactly right. Montreal thought hey had a deal for Hossa, so they moved Huet cheap. GMGM thought he could move Ollie to Anahiem, but they found a cheaper option, so we ended up with 3 goalies.

But it's far from the end of the world. Ollie used to be a guy who thrived on a lot of work, but now he's older and slower, and has shown himself to be a guy who needs rest to play his best...i.e., a backup.

Posted by: Baildog | February 28, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill, yeah, but was he a FRENCH Canadian? You just can't trust people who write so well, have the best wines, great cuisine, an enlightened view of the world and humanity -- can you?
Where are my Freedom Fries already, probably held up by some Old European!

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

828-

Yes, it could be Olie as the Bridge...Hasek, Belfour, Cujo all were #1's into the 40's and I don't see any reason why Olie can't. He has been on lately so let's see what happens.

Posted by: dave | February 28, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh-and on Laing. I love him and he is great on the PK and a great shot blocker and he's been a great story this year. But if/when Clark comes back, he's gonna be gone...And that's fine because Clark's a better player. These type of players pop up each year and everybody (including me) lobbies to keep them. When they go we're sad but all end up being good.

Remember Lawrence Nycholat? He was last year's Laing. We don't miss him, right?

Posted by: dave | February 28, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

p.s. Johnny is subject to waivers. So, they won't be sending him to Hershey. Even if they wanted to, I suspect the non-existent market for him in exchange for a 6th round draft pick would be a lot stronger where the price is nothing.

I would say the Johnny and Eminger could hang out and complaint, but Eminger has been playing.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 28, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

How are you equating Hasek with Kolzig?

I agree though - we should all see what happens. There is nothing we can do about it anyways.

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Lets look at this rationally... Throwing out the stats Olie is the leader in the clubhouse period. He is one of the top paid goalies for a reason and he has been the face of the franchise through very tough times.

Johnny is under contract for this year and next year and probably factors in the teams plans for '09. He wasn't traded on the deadline but would probably be snatched up off waivers in no time. He will not be the starter ever. The Caps have to address the starting goaltending and Huet was an upgrade over both. Having him in DC also gives the Caps a strategic advantage in signing him to an extension.

If Johnson doesn't start another game for the rest of the season it will not reflect on his ability or change his market value that much. He has a job and will have a job next year so people should take a breath, calm down, and realize that all three goalies will be just fine. I'm guessing this is Olie's last season with the club that drafted him when I was in elementary school.

Posted by: Red503va | February 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@ 828 -- they are both old and flop around the crease

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@828
How are you equating Hasek with Kolzig?

Hahahah, I was giving my best Rock impression when I read that.

Posted by: keef | February 28, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

dave,

I've been an Olie fan since I was in high school, but the fact is that not all men are built the same way. Some guys are still sharp into their 40s, and Olie isn't terrible at his age, but that has absolutely no bearing on how much gas Olie has left in the tank. Heck, some goalies flame out at far younger ages.

His numbers have only really started improving since BB started doing the 2:1 rotation with Johnson, whereas he used to be just fine playing with much higher workloads. He seems to take forever getting up after he's gone down to make a save. His lateral movement is lagging to put it nicely. When was the last time he stole a game with highlight-reel performances like he did on a fairly regular basis back in the late 90s? The man just doesn't do it like he used to...

I hope that he continues to have a place in the organization, whether between the pipes or elsewhere, but to think that he's going to carry the load for this team for the next 3 years is simply naive.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 28, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Johnny should not be the odd man out. Kolzig should! Johnny is a better backup than Kolzig. Don't push him away.
Kolzig will be gone in a couple of months. And the Huet/Johnson tandem sounds more interesting.

Posted by: Finn | February 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

NJD will crush Huet.

Career vs New Jersey W1 L6 GAA 3.24 SV% .889

Olie at least has a solid record against the Devils.

Posted by: nuuskamuikkunen | February 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I just figured it all out...It's a marketing move! McPhee is listening to the offers all day and says over lunch to the marketing guys "hey, the Habs are trying to give me a goalie, what would that do, give me a goalie controversy!?" Marketing guy says "Hey that'll get everybody talking about us! Do it!"

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 28, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I hate how this is what it takes to get the team noticed around here.

Posted by: Jordan | February 28, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Can Johnson play Point Guard?

We could use someone on the Wizards that knows how to play D.

Posted by: Eddie Jordan | February 28, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I dont think it has anything to do with NJD. Huet will be fired up to try and take over the dominant #1 position.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

What!?!?! I just found out we have three Left Wings too. That's crazy. GMGM sucks for not trading one of them. This is ridiculous.

Posted by: Scott | February 28, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I actually had a poster of Kournakova on my wall...not Federov..

Posted by: Brooks Laich | February 28, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

This line shuffling is amazing, to say the least.

BB. Please... Keep the flash/laich/fehr line together..... Or atleast put it back when clarkie comes back.

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 28, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Fehr's outta here when Clark comes back..

Posted by: Jordan | February 28, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

For what its worth...

I think that you will see Huet and Johnson in the nets for the Caps next year.

Kolzig is too expensive to be a backup. The money will be better spent elsewhere. There is no value in keeping a goalie with Ollie's salary on the bench. If he were to accept less money (backup's salary)you might see him still with the Caps.

I think the Caps will let him go.

This year's a different story. They have to pay him one way or the other. My feeling is which ever of the three goalies blinks, he has out of the picture.

I think Johnnie is far from out of the picture. He will get his chance as soon as one of the other two faulters...

Remember, there are only a few games left. The stakes have been raised.

GMGM pulled off one heckuva deal especially if Heut plays well and signs a long term deal with Washington.

Posted by: Muddapucker | February 28, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Trading B.Johnson at the deadline would've given us ZERO goal tenders under contract for next year.

There is now leverage for management to make the goalie situation fiscally appealing for next year.

It stinks for Brent, but thats the business. GMGM wouldnt be doing his job if he based his moves on emotions and what player sweaters are worn most by fans.

Along the same note... I wouldnt get too close to all the 3rd and 4th line guys...

I really think there is going to be some shake-ups down there for next year. We may actually try to put together 3 scoring lines.

Posted by: JSchon | February 28, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

GMGM really did get a good deal for Huet..I hope he likes it here so he stays for next year we could use a reliable goal tender. I'm hoping it's Huet and Johnny next year. I love Olie to death but he's not getting any younger....

Posted by: K | February 28, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

1) What will happen: Huet stays and plays the majority of games down the stretch. Kolzig plays 1/3 of remaininggames. Johnson sits
2) Huet is given a 3 year 15 mil deal. Kolzig is asked to accept a 1 year 2 mil contract and rejects its feeling he can still start.
3) Johnson, already unde contract for next year, simply resumes his back up role next fall

Posted by: Fauxrumors | February 28, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@FFS Enough

I TOTALLY agree with you about 43-21-14

They had some SERIOUS chemistry, and they need to keep playing together.

Does anyone else the OV is sick? He just seems out of it.

Posted by: CantMissKid | February 28, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov had those Russian mob ties (along with Bure) right? Think they brought him in to take care of the true reason for the slump... AO's GF!?!?

Posted by: Phil C. | February 28, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@Phil C.

Yes..Federov is in the Russian Mob. When he was in Anaheim, he was in control of all taxi's in and out of LAX. Blood Money I tell ya.

Posted by: Goober | February 28, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

This scenario will play out our the Summer. McPhee will offer a contract to Kolzig and Huet. The first one to accept will be with the Caps. The other is not resigned.

Look back through the last several months. Kolzig wanted another contract. GMGM stopped negotiating with him - their numbers were too far a part.

As George has recently stated, he wants Kolzig back next year as a Cap. What he didn't say is that he wants Olie as a Cap at his, George's offer, not Kolzig's.

Look back to last year with Zubrus, the negotiations failed before the trade deadline. Primarily because Zubbie wanted a 5-6 year contract. GMGM did want to give him that. It did not matter that Danius was a very good team member, was great with the community or kept his nose clean. Did GMGM want to keep Danius? Absolutely, but under his requirements. So Zubrus was traded and got what he wanted from NJ.

If Olie wants to play for the Caps next year, McPhee will offer him a 1 year contract for no more than 2.5 mil.

Print this out and tack it to your bulletin board. When Olie resigns or walks away, you'll see that I was pretty close on this one.

Posted by: Nils | February 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

This may be a little out of left field but here goes anyway... many people talk about Olie being the clubhouse leader of the team, GMGM not wanting to rock Olie's boat, etc. But in view of the change in leadership this year and the # of BB's boys playing for the team now is it possible that many of the players just consider Olie a grumpy old man and don't hang on his every word... and every broken stick... and every juicy rebound? I'm not even sure it's relevant to what's going on, but I'm just saying...

Posted by: Dave in Alexandria | February 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Olie better start in Boston... thats for damn sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Go SOX GO | February 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Can't Miss

A few days ago Tarik said Ovie, Semin and Koz all were out with the Flu. (In Soviet Russia, Flu catches you.)

Not only can the flu last a week or more (especially if you are trying to play through it) but it can take a bit more to recover your strength.

Also, it's been reported that his Russian GF is back home, no longer in the states. So he's got to recover from that, also. Though, i wonder if she's got some other friends on the Canes and came here with the flu... gave it to Ovie who gave it to the rest of the team.

Was anyone else cheering for Steckel to cough on that guy he got in a fight with on Tues?

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@muddpacker,

Olie is too expensive to be a back-up for what he makes this year. If he makes $2M next year and is co-#1 with someone else, that's about right.

@goober,

The Russian mob and it relevance in the NHL is/was a hot topic. Yes, it was rumored that guys like Bure and SF were somehow controlled by the mob, perhaps just through some sort of protection payment shakedown. Russia can be pretty lawless, (less so under modern Putin authoritarianism) and so Bure and SF may have made the sensible decision to pay them off rather than have their villa in Moscow mysteriously burn down. Or maybe not. Who knows. The league has tried to educate young, rich Russians in the league about this and frankly guys like Federov (and Larinov and Markov and whoever-ov before them) have also tried to grab rookies before the mob gets their paws on them. I'm not saying it doesn't happend anymore, just that it happens less for reasons that are part due to what happens here and part what happens over there. I'm going to assume that at this point in his career, SF either has a stable relationship with them or, more likely, none at all.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Nils

I don't quite agree with the "first to accept will be a cap..."

I think he will offer a contract to HUT (my pet name for our new frenchie) with the intention of keeping him as our #1.

Olie will be offered a back-up's contract for next season, probably below Johnson's current deal. If Olie accepts, look to see Johnson "assigned" to Hershey with the intention of another team taking him and his contract off our hands.

If Olie declines the offer, look for Johnson to remain with the team as the backup and Olie will have to look elsewhere.

I can also see Olie deciding to retire completely if he passes the 300 wins mark this season, especially if he can pass Hextal's 301. He needs 2 more for 300 (which I hope is the Calgary game) and 3 more to tie Hextal. If he reaches that, i can see him coming back as a coach until this team wins the cup.

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 28, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, SF comes here... AO's GF heads back. Coincidence? I think not. I hope you know all know I'm kidding... sorta!

For what it's worth about the goalie situation. Let's hope Huet plays well enough to make it a true controversy! If he does, I'm sure they will try to re-sign him. They will probably try to encourage Olie to retire and reward Johnny with the backup job for being the gold soldier during all of this.

Posted by: Phil C. | February 28, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I'll admit it-Olie's always been the man and my favorite player since he became the backup in 93. and I'll defend him till the end. This goalie soap opera will be good theater for the next couple months..

Posted by: dave | February 28, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

CantMissKid-
I was there tuesday night and Ovie is NOT 100%. I don't think he's hurt, just still recovering from the flu

Posted by: dave | February 28, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, considering McPhail is at the helm, all of this will get screwed up in the offseason, and then he'll call a press conference to explain how/why the players just wanted to sign with other teams vs. the Caps.

Posted by: Heydum | February 28, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@Nils

I don't buy this for a lot of reasons. First, you don't throw an offer to 2 guys, put one pen on the table and let them fight over it.

gmgm also stated that he wasn't going to make any significant moves, and he made 3 significant ones and one small one. Actually, he was a man of his word, but very specific ones and carefully selected at that. He said he wasn't going to make any moves that would cost us the future prospects, which he didn't. So, what EXACTLY did he say? It's important! gmgm talks for the public and may say something completely different in private.

I, too, think that Olie will be offered something for next year, but I'm not sure it will be as a player. Huet will probably be asked to stick around as the bridge for the prospects coming up through the ranks. I would suspect that Johnson is the #2 guy in net until the prospects arive.

Hopefully, gmgm keeps the goalie pipeline full. They're damned hard to come by!

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Please stop talking about the goalie situation. Huet needs to know that he is the #1 not 1a. That's what happened in Montreal with him. Last year he was an all star. When they brought price in and said to both the goalies that whoever wins plays the next game (which is stupid) he didn't play loose the way he does. If assured he is going to be #1 he will get us to the playoffs.

Posted by: smartfan | February 28, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.

I actually think if Kolzig signs for a cheap contract that Brent will be traded. Reason is loyalty. If kolzig accepts the backup role. He stayed here during rough times when he could have been traded so at least he should be on the bench when they make a run at the cup. Team doesn't owe brent anything. Plus he put of good #'s this year, perfect time to trade him

Posted by: smartfan | February 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan

More importantly, the CAPS need to know if he's a #1

Posted by: JSchon | February 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Heydum,
Wow I didn't realize we got Andy MacPhail to be our GM! Did I miss that on trade day? I mean, he did well in Minnesota, but he ruined my beloved Cubs!

Posted by: Phil C. | February 28, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

FFS Enough and Dave,

I agree with you both. It takes time to recover from the flu, sometimes weeks. Your strength is significantly depleted. Plus each person recovers differently. It's not like a cold that can go through your system in 2 or 3 days but have no strong physical implications on you.

Posted by: G-Rub | February 28, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

BJ is getting screwed. He played better than Kolzig this season and didn't whine to the press like Kolzig did. So the better goalie and team guy is the one sitting out? BS.

Posted by: Jim | February 28, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I just don't understand breaking up Ovchkin-Backstrom-Semin. When that line is going good, it is as good as ny number 1 line in the league. The guys have a magic chemistry. Don't outsmart yourself Bruce.

Posted by: rogerr | February 28, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

From what I've read GMGM is regarded highly in the league the way he is building this team(jagr was teds idea). Everything he has done is according to the plan. In his presser he said he wasn't going to give contracts that were long term and over priced. I've believe him(except for ovi wich was a steal). Hossa is expected to ask for 9mil and the cap is going up so that was a steal, GMGM had to do it.

GMGM probably offered Olie a 1 year deal for about 1mil or 1.5mil or so. Olie said no. GMGM saw that olie & brent is not a #1 goalie anymore so he jumped at Huet. His main thing this off season is to sign Huet then the backup

Posted by: smartfan | February 28, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan. I agree w/you. Kolzig will be offered the backup role behind Huet, if he signs. Brent will be gone. If Kolzig won't do that, then we still have Brent.

Yesterday I railed on and on about needing to break up that Flash/Laich/Fehr line. My thought was that Flash needed to be with Feds/Semin. But I am fine with Brooks there. He has earned the shot. If it doesn't produce, you still can put Flash in there. But I do know that Cooke is a third liner.

Unfortunately, I think the Cooke trade means that Clark will be shut down for the year.

Posted by: kenwood | February 28, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@rogerr

It's the same reason malkin-crosby-malone aren't on the same line. You can't win in this league with just one scoring line(putting all your eggs in one basket). I love what bruce is doing.

Like what he has done on the #1PP unit
semin-Ovie-backstron-green-federov

Posted by: smartfan | February 28, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@Smart Fan

It wouldn't surprise me if he did sign a player's contract. I just don't see his ego allowing him to play second fiddle to anyone. He could take a pay cut - maybe. Certainly a 1 or 2 year deal. But not a backup role. He's Olie the Goalie, not Olie the bench warmer.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

OK, I get it now!We should have replaced Olie with Ouellet, except he is not laying anywhere now, then we should have replaced Olie with Sharpie, o yeah, he also is not playing hockey, so now thank the hockey gods, the GM of Montreal is a cmplete and utter idiot who gives away the best goalie in the NHL for a 2nd round draft pick and now we are saved. To top it all off this goalie is trained in that well known hockey mecca of FRANCE!! He is not some stupid American or Russian or Swede or heaven forbid a Canadian, he is from the home of great hocky players FRANCE! I mean who doesn't remember Pelozy or the great hall of famer Bozon (I am not sure which haal of fame mind you). We are so lucky!! Get real we got Huet because he never won a playoff game and they did not expect him to win one this year. Huet was not good enough to take Montreal where they want to go and he is not good enough to take the Caps there either, ask the fans in Colorado how they like Montreal's castoffs.

Posted by: Bob | February 28, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Smartfan

You are right. Unless you want to stick Ovie infront of the net as your crasher, you also can't make a line of guys who need space to produce. If the other team knows your line is going to pirouette around near the circles, they will stay high in the zone and they won't be able to do jack. See Min on Tues night.

If somebody has to cover the crasher, your playmakers will have more room to work and make plays. You also plant someone in front to get the garbage goals. 30 garbage goals a year for Clarke is surely missed this season.

I love seeing Koz back on the first line. I'd like to see Cooke as the 2nd line crasher and FFS keep that damn 3rd line in tact!

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 28, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only Montreal Candians fan coming to the washington post to hear about Huet ? I`m really excited to see how he will be doing now with the Caps...

Bonen chance Christobal !

Posted by: Jimmy Cactus | February 28, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh:

I saw your post about the last 10 games...

I did one since the all star break, a 9 game stretch for both Huet and Kolzig and 5 for Johnson...

Caps goalies since all-star break:
Goalie GP Record Sav% GAA ShotPG SavePG
Kolzig 9 5-2-2 91.32 2.509 29.4 26.8
Johnson 5 1-3-1 90.85 2.763 30.6 27.8
Huet 9 4-4-1 89.37 3.429 28.2 25.2

Conclusion, Huet has too much talent to not turn it around and I think he will, and quickly!

Olie has been quite good since the all star game... and his #'s would be better if his D cleared loose pucks in front of the net in the Carolina game.

Sadly, Johnson is the odd man out with quite good numbers too...

Posted by: FrankM73 | February 28, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I spend an afternoon out of the office at meetings with clients and I come back to a trade deadline sized thread of responses.

I was nervous about starting Huet against NJ...at first. As has been noted, his record is far from spotless against the devils historically, but Huet is 1-0 with a 3.00 GAA against them this year. The bad news? He only stopped 10 of 13 shots that game.

I would kind of prefer to see Kolzig in net on Fri, and have Huet debut before the home crowd on Sat.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 28, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

man i gotta say I really do love Johnson. To think we have a guy that is that much of a team player makes me ten times the fan i was not only of Brent but also of the team and i didn't even know that was possible.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 28, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

@ old time hockey

Istn't that what I said? I agree Ollie is to expensive to back up next year. Johnnie is still under contract.

I look for it to be Huet (provided Caps can sign him) and Johnnie. Kolzig will simply price himself out of the market.

The money will be better spent elsewhere and Johnnie is an ideal #2 guy.

The Caps future intentions are signaled by the immediate start they are giving Huet. He figures in their long term plans.

Ollie is still in the mix because of team chemistry, but wait til next year. Ollie will not be under contract and things will change.

Posted by: Muddapucker | February 28, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

oh my gosh. the fehr-laich-flash line had one good game. let it go. if they were so good where have they been all season. they produced cause the first 2 lines have been doing well. Cooke is a 3rd liner but might be on the 2nd(creat some trafic and screen the goalie). the caps have had a problem with that this year just take clean point shots without screening the goalie,

Posted by: smartfan | February 28, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

It's funny that all the buzz surrounds the acquisition of a goalie that has yet to prove his # 1 status.
Huet will fail miserably in DC. It's fait.

Posted by: Chief | February 28, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for clearing that up Chief.

Posted by: Muddapucker | February 28, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse