Thursday Morning Update

The mood is much lighter today out here at KCI. I guess a much-needed win will do that.

But there are a couple of things I'll need to follow up on after practice: Ovechkin and Nylander are not on the ice. I'm not so concerned about Ovechkin, who skated 21 minutes last night and often takes practices off. As for Nylander, we'll have to see.

Semin is on the ice, which means he's probably fully recovered from the ankle injury.

Update:Poti also did not skate. He's suffering from a "nagging" injury, but Hanlon said he'll be game time decision against Vancouver.

As for Ovechkin and Nylander, they have some "little aches and pains", Hanlon said, but will play. Kozlov and Clark also could have taken the day off, Hanlon said, but they chose to skate.

Update:Shaone Morrisonn has 10 stitches over his right eye as a result of his scrap with Vincent Lecavalier. Morrisonn said the cut came from his face his hitting the ice, not a punch.

Update: Also, word is Luongo will be in goal for Canucks. Considering his numbers against the Caps, why wouldn't he be?

Update:I'm told that Poti could play tomorrow. If he can't, the Caps will give more information on his injury.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 25, 2007; 11:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup vs. Tampa Bay
Next: Poti Could Be Out

Comments

what the hell is that supposed to mean? did you see anything last night that leads you to believe hes hurt

Posted by: why | October 25, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

settle down, man. Who are you talking about? Semin is fine. Nylander isn't on the ice. Healthy players usually practice. That's what I mean.

Posted by: Tarik | October 25, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Good one Tarik. Settle down pal, Tarik will have more info soon.

Posted by: Brad | October 25, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

i was talking about nylander, sorry for the confusion. its just frustrating when it seems like everyone is finally healthy and things are staring to click and now this potential news.

Posted by: injuries=golf in april | October 25, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

good one brad

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Seems like Kozlov missed a decent amount of time late in yesterday's game... seems like Steckel was frequently out with Ovie and Clark. Was it just a case of David taking the face-off or is there more there?

Thanks.

Posted by: Dave in DC | October 25, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

we all share your pain buddy, but no need to jump to conclusions. it might not be anything serious. i mean, when have injuries ever been a problem for any DC area team? Wait, scratch that last question. Let's just stay positive and think about Dave Steckel for the rest of the day.

Posted by: therinkrat.com | October 25, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Any word on lines? I hope Clark stays on the top line-- I always thought he was a nice gritty fit there. Enough skill to elevate his game when he's with Ovie, but has the grit, hard work, and size to balance out the finesse of a first line.

Posted by: GJ | October 25, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Can you smell what Tarik is cookin? Settle down brother or Tarik is going to lay the Washington Post Capitals Insider Blog Smackdown on you!! :) Nylander is becoming an old fart and probably needed a day off. I wouldn't read to much into it.

Posted by: Mitch | October 25, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, what's the scoop with Fleischmann? Can they not find a fit for him? Is he not working hard in practice? Thanks!

Posted by: CantMissKid | October 25, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

If you saw Semin play last night, you wouldn't say he's fully recovered.

He looked slow, fell a lot in the beginning, and some of his passes were way off. He seemed tentative. He did some nice things later once he got his legs under him.

Maybe he's just not back in game shape, or he's not fully confident in his ankle yet.

Posted by: jeffmal | October 25, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I got it. Here's the real deal with Nylander. He's suffering from severe dizziness. No, it's not because he got his clock cleaned, but because of all the circles he skates during the game.

Could you imagine watching Nylander take a field sobriety test after skating all of those circles in a game?

Posted by: Mitch | October 25, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Jeffmal,

THe only way to get into game shape is to play games. Not only has he missed a bunch of regular season games, Semin also missed a bunch of pre season games. He'll come around

Posted by: Lee | October 25, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

How does Morrison look? I didn't notice if he returned to the game after his (no offense) beat down by Lecavalier. What did he do to him to tick him off like that anyway?

Posted by: Mike13 | October 25, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought I saw Mo return late in the game after the stiches but I could be wrong.

Posted by: usiel | October 25, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
This was on the Boston Herald's site, Have you heard anything similar about the new Reebok EDGE jerseys??

"According to sources in the B's dressing room, Reebok has been unable to correct problems with the new jerseys introduced this season across the NHL and will replace them at the company's expense with new uniforms made of the old materials. Players have complained since training camp that the new jerseys, which are supposed to be lighter and allow sweat to evaporate out through the shirts, have instead trapped water inside and gotten heavier."

Posted by: Chris in SS | October 25, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris | October 25, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Poti took a spill late in the third and you could tell he was hurting when he came off. It took him a while to be able to sit down on the bench so maybe it's a back issue...

Posted by: keef | October 25, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Yep, Morrison was on the ice at the final minutes. I'm pretty sure I saw him when they pulled the goalie..."

Yeah, he came out and skated I think only one last shift but was out near the end.

Posted by: keef | October 25, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Dings happen. We'll probably see most of them at the skate tomorrow morning. Good win last night.

Posted by: EricS | October 25, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Reebok is NOT going back to the old jersey designs. They're just replacing the water resistant fabric in the panels.

Posted by: tallbear | October 25, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -
you have far more patience here with some posters than I would have in your position. You truly are a blessing to hockey coverage in this market. Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: Steve | October 25, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Masisak over at the Times raised a question of mine:

How is Alzner doing? Is he playing like a #5 pick?

Tarik? Anyone?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 25, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

In juniors, I mean.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 25, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this actually answers your question about Alzner's play...but, he's got 2 goals and 5 assists in 10 games and is a +8.

Posted by: Jeff | October 25, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

The #6 pick Gagner is still in the NHL w/ 1 goal, 6 assists and a -1, then again he's still in the NHL.

Posted by: I blew my edge and I can't get up | October 25, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

A friend of mine lives in Calgary and gets to watch Alzner play and said the capitals have a heck of a player in the works. Alzner has apparently been playing like a man among boys.

Posted by: Brandon | October 25, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Nearly every player drafted by an NHL team in the first few rounds plays like "a man among boys" in junior. If they didn't they probably wouldn't have been drafted in the first place.

Posted by: zamboni | October 25, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Justification to keep Clark on first line: From "The Hockey News"

For one night, at least, all it took was a little lineup juggling. Moved back up to Ovechkin's line Wednesday night, captain Chris Clark scored his first two goals, and Washington produced its biggest output of offence all season in a 5-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning.

"We understand each other," said Ovechkin, who contributed two assists and an empty-net goal with four seconds left. "We played like we played the last two years: He scored and I scored."

Steckel scored when he shouldn't have been on the ice because he was put on for the face-off. He did a lot of face-offs on lines that he isn't assigned to last night. Maybe the real need is for a centerman, not LW? I don't know why Nylander or Kozlov couldn't center their lines. That's their position.

Maybe coach needs to have centering practice time. Oh, wait. That means coaching...

As for Semin's missing passes and seemingly being a step or two off, I'm not worried. Hockey is a game of timing. He's been off for a few weeks. He'll be back in short order.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 25, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

With the win last night does anyone feel Hanlon is off the hook? It looked like Olie played well, Denis was horrible, the team made strides but still no flow and was lucky to get out w/ the win. ?

Posted by: ? | October 25, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I returned from vacation in the Calgary area. I wore several of my Caps jerseys in the area, and those folks are hockey fanatics!! They would constantly stop me and want to talk hockey!! I also asked about Alzner. Folks up there also watch the Hitmen besides the Flames. More than one person told me that Alzner is "special". Quite a few were also high on Bouchard as well. It's a funny thing in Canada. I could walk all around the DC metro area and hardly get a remark about wearing a caps hat, t-shirt or jersey. Not so in Canada!! My wife and I went into a sports bar in Banff. We caught the third period of the Caps versus Atlanta match. The next night, the same bar had available the Caps home opener, but it there were numerous Canadian team matches in progress, so no dice to watch the Caps.

Posted by: Doug | October 25, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

@Doug:

Well, Canadians are a bit crazy about their hockey, with Calgary among the craziest. Besides the Flames and Hitmen, there's the national women's hockey team, and 2, count 'em 2 junior hockey teams. They also have 3 collegiate teams to boot.

If you really want to see a Canadian smile, after you talk about hockey, ask them how their curling team is doing.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 25, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Totally ask them about their curling team! I thought it was just something you saw in the olympics. They would get so excited and I would laugh and laugh.
And then one guy said "who cares"when I talked smack about the chili up there. I tried explaining that chili was something special. He just laughed at me. You had to be there. Now i'm hungry.

Posted by: HAHAHAHA | October 25, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I live in Ontario Canada. I am definetly the biggest caps fan in the province/country. Yes we are all hockey crazy up here. Curling though???? it depends who you talk to. I find it very boreing and so do a lot other Canadians. I plan of driving to DC this year or next to cath afew games. I did it a few years ago and had a great time. What a city!! How do you become a crazy caps fan in Ontario?? Two words. Scott Stevens. CAPS4LIFE!!!!

Posted by: Brad | October 26, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@Brad:

You can't do much better than Scott Stevens.

I guess my bias is from spending so much time in Alberta and Manitoba. They're crazy about curling there. In Winnipeg, something like half the population throws the rock in either a league or something. I don't know if it's half, but it's a huge number. They have about twice the number of curling rinks than hockey.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 26, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse