New Ticket Plans Promotes Home Ice Advantage

Remember last season when the Capitals-Penguins games at Verizon Center looked and sounded like they were being played at the Igloo because of the huge number of Crosby-jersey-wearing-folks from Pittsburgh?

Well, the Caps are trying to take back their building with an interesting ticket sales strategy.

From the Caps' release:

The Capitals will feature three six-game starter plans designed to fill Verizon Center with Capitals fans for the team's biggest games, with prices starting at only $99 for Mezzanine Corner tickets. Included in those six-game plans is the Rivals Plan, which features tickets for the home opener against the Carolina Hurricanes (Oct. 6) and games against five of the Capitals' most popular opponents. Single-game tickets for those five games, other than Eagle's Nest and VIP seats, will range from $37 (Mezzanine Corners) to $95 (Center Preferred).

In other words, some Pens fans are going to be paying a lot more (seats in the Mazzanine Corners for those games are up from $22 to $37) for tickets to see their boy Crosby play in Washington.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 11, 2007; 11:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee on Fehr: "We'll be patient and take our time"
Next: The Whole Crew Is Here

Comments

Rumor is the extra cash will be used on urinal cakes in Crosby's image for the men's bathrooms.

Posted by: slappy | September 12, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

As much as I hate the Penguins, I've got to hand it to them on this one...

...what a great idea! Plus, notice in the article that all local media had been alerted, and were waiting to make sure they'd get the shot of Crosby delivering tickets.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | September 12, 2007 1:47 AM | Report abuse

If we improve 47 points over the next season, I imagine we could do that to season ticket sales too. Bonus if we actually go somewhere once we get to the playoffs (unlike Pittsburgh and golden boy).

Posted by: Raber | September 12, 2007 4:16 AM | Report abuse

How about a 6-game plan that includes the 2 Pens games, the 2 Flyers games and the 2 Rangers games. Make that affordable to folks within a give set of local zip codes and they might actually do something about taking those tickets back from the other guys.........Wait, that's assuming folks around here actually want to go to hockey games.

Posted by: Tim | September 12, 2007 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Good idea. I hope it works

Posted by: dave b | September 12, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I bought my 6-gm "Rivals Plan" yesterday!!

Posted by: E | September 12, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

tarik, what time is the game today

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I am so sick of crazy marketing ploys. If the Caps steadily improve and WIN all those bandwagon Caps fans with money will buy tickets. And season tix holders won't give up there seats to Pens fans.
JUST WIN.

Posted by: dave | September 12, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, the Caps will be so good this year against our rivals that we upper-deckers can start my favorite chant for annoying out-of-towners:

"oh so silent"--clap, clap, clap, clap, clap--"must be loosing"--clap, clap, clap, clap, clap

Posted by: Icarus | September 12, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

The Penns door to door season ticket delivery is something that has been done by other teams in the past.

Winning gets fans, not door to door ticket drop offs.

Posted by: bleh | September 12, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

good, it's about damn time the capitals put their foot down. pro teams do this all the time, and justifiably so. I'm a lifelong caps fan, and certainly do not advocate violence, but the fact that Pens and Flyers fans come down wasted by the bus load every time we play them and basically taunt us and pick fights with us in our own stadium is flat out embarrassing (on our party) and shouldn't be tolerated any longer. I can only imagine how the players feel when their home game feels like a road game. Though I'm sure Ted feels differently, i'd rather let seats go to waste then have a penguins or flyers majority crowd.

Posted by: Philly and Pittsburgh Trash | September 12, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

i still say having a connection to players make a difference for people who are going to fill seats. how many kids get introduced to the game before they know who is winning or have the attention span to handle a whole game (let alone a season). the easiest thing for them latch on to is the players who they know. having some stability in the roster (earned by players) which it looks like is building could really help. people detatch when their favorite player is lost to another team. it's hard to pick a favorite among guys bouncing up and down to hershey. like i said, if winning alone did it, why did nashville have such trouble for the preds?

Posted by: jim | September 12, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Nashville had problems because no one in Tennessee had ever heard of Ice Hockey before the Preds got there and then suddenly tens of thousands were supposed to care. THey need enough fans to watch on tv as well as to show up at games. If all the fans are at the games, how long can the population sustain the team in such intensive markets? If you think its bad now, wait until we head into the recession that's inevitably headed our way thanks to the present republican form of Govt (which is "tell people that their might not be a tomorrow, spend like theres no tomorrow, and shrug your shoulders when tomorrow arrives"). I love Hockey. I sure am gonna miss it. Until I move to Canada, that is. I'm pretty sure the anit-global warming movement is Canadian based. When the weather warms up, its going to be heavenly!

Posted by: MM | September 12, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

am I missing something? I didn't see anything about this on the ticket plan info section of the caps website

Posted by: Brandon | September 12, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

MM, you showed a complete lack of comprehension of what is wrong with ticket sales in Nashville. In most NHL cities, about 2/3s of the season ticket holders are corporations, and about 1/3 of the season tickets are owned by individuals. In Nashville, those numbers are backwards, but they actually have more season tickets among common individuals than almost any NHL team. It's the corporate support that is lacking in Nashville.

Posted by: FS | September 12, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I have to give the Caps marketing folks credit. They are responsive and they are creative. Hope it works.

Posted by: Joe | September 12, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I think the rookie game is at 4 in Voorhees.

Posted by: Tarik | September 12, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

thanks are you going

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

This is a great idea. I called immediately after reading this and signed up.

Posted by: katzistan | September 12, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Rivals pack, hunh.

6 games for about 99 bucks is....about 18 a game. Not bad all in all. I'm thinking about it. Either than or snagging a block of Eagle's Nest seats first thing Saturday.

Posted by: EricS | September 12, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

But aren't most of these people really just rival fans who live here? Hopefully I am wrong.

Posted by: silly me | September 12, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Silly me,

my best friend is a diehard pens fan. He was born and raised here; his parents are from Pittsburgh. We joked recently that this area is Pittsburgh-south because of all the Pens/steelers fans. It's just something we caps fans have to live with. THis ticket plan is a great idea.

I like the US soccer teams idea for when we play Mexico: Try and keep it in a cold weather city, and if the person ordering tickets had a hispanic name, tell them the game was sold out!

Posted by: Lee | September 12, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

FS, stop being such a d***. Its just not impressive to be haughty on a messageboard. Save that for face2face. WE've all read the same stuff, we all read the same media outlets, we all know what the cummulative issues are. Local businesses should care about hockey why? Either way, sto taking everything so seriously and acting like a stooge. In short, grow up. Its always the same, people who dont have the balls to act like you in person act all mighty in anonimity. pathetic.

Posted by: MM | September 12, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Lee-

Just please tell me your buddy doesn't refer to it as "Penguins nation"

Posted by: dave | September 12, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Dave,

No, he's actually pretty fun about it. ("Anything" Nation is so cliche) We went to Pittsburgh this past season to see a game there. i walked in to the arena with my Dale Hunter jersey on. He asked what i thought, and I told him it was the same as seeing a game at Verizon: More Pens fans than caps fans!

I do hope that changes.

Posted by: Lee | September 12, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

MM, would love to wax political science theories with you, but this is a hockey board. As far as Nashville is concerned, the problem is definitely lack of hockey identity in the region and lack of corporate support. These facts are documented. As far as the Caps are concerned, I believe the best sales event or marketing tactic, is wins on the ice. That will translate into 90% total capacity that I think Ted wants. If you carefully studied the ticket prices, particularly in the 400 series, you will find them a great value. I have tickets in 404 and was thinking of upgrading; now that they are putting up the HD scoreboard, which will show replays, why pay for more than I need?
v/r
Doug

Posted by: Doug | September 12, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand Penguins fans. I will always maintain that the Crosby lottery was fixed. Hockey great owns the team? Needs leverage to get all the money he is owed? How about giving them Crosby and then playing the relocation card. Yeah, congrats on your super improvements. Has any team in the history of hockey ever picked 1/2/1/2 over four years? Hope Crosby jilts you in 5 years.

Posted by: JR | September 13, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse