Today's lineup and pregame notes (Updated)

Coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed moments ago that Jose Theodore will start today and that Michael Nylander will be a scratch. Nylander has been a healthy scratch six times this season, but this is the first time he's been banished to the pressbox for consecutive games. (If the Caps wanted to showcase him ahead of next week's trade deadline, this is a very strange way of doing it.)

With Nyls out (as well as Staffan Kronwall), I'm counting the lineup to look the same as Thursday's 4-3 win over Atlanta:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Laich-Fedorov-Semin
Fleischmann-Steckel-Fehr
Brashear-Gordon-Bradley

Defense
Morrisonn-Poti
Schultz-Green
Erskine-Jurcina

*Boudreau also came to the defense of Tomas Fleischmann this morning when I asked him about the winger's goal drought. Fleischmann has one goal in 17 games, but, as Boudreau pointed out, he also has seven assists in that span.

"He asked me the other day" why he was struggling, Boudreau said. "I said, 'You're not struggling.' He made the best plays of anybody on our team the last few games. It was the same at the beginning of the year when he had very few points when he was setting up everybody and nobody was scoring. It will turn around. He was minus-11, now he's plus 2. I'm happy with his game. He'll end up getting his 22, 23 goals and 40-some points, and that will be good for this year for a guy who has played a lot on the third line."

*Boudreau said he'll make a decision on tomorrow's starting goalie based on how today's game goes. I'm thinking it will be Theodore again, but Michal Neuvirth has been pretty darn impressive.

*When asked about catching the Bruins, Boudreau attempted to manage expectations this morning, saying: "I think they are going to be tough to catch. We just want to win. We're not scoreboard watching. If we win and win and win, and we wake up in April, and all of a sudden they've lost a couple, and we've consistently won, and we're two or three points back, then it's something to look at."

*Asked if he actively tries to get Alex Ovechkin away from Boston all-star defenseman Zdeno Chara, Boudreau said he does not.

"It's so easy for defensemen to change," Boudreau said. "I think we would screw up our own players by doing that. If Chara is going to play against him, then Chara is going to play against him."

*Stat of the day, courtesy of Caps' media guru Nate Ewell: 17 of the past 22 Caps-Bruins games have been decided by a goal or ended up tied.

Expect another close one today.

*Boudreau said Boston's Dennis Wideman is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league because he's overshadowed by Chara. Wideman, by the way, has 12 goals and 30 assists. He is also a plus-30 (which is only third on the Bruins behind Blake Wheeler's plus-33 and David Krejci's plus-34)

"It's the same as Nicky with Alex," Boudreau said. "Alex gets all of the attention and no one realizes how good Nick Backstrom is. Wideman is the same way with Chara. Just look at his numbers.

*Boston Coach Claude Julien talks a little later. So check back for an update on injured Bruins Marc Savard, Milan Lucic and Wheeler.

Update:Lucic is out with an upper body injury. Savard and Wheeler, however, will play.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 28, 2009; 11:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boston Globe: Lucic and Savard questionable
Next: Caps 4, Bruins 3 (OT)

Comments

Hmmm, Nyls' situation is getting weird...banished? Gurus, that would a typical reason be for banishing a player to a pressbox? He's gonna say something bad or..?

Posted by: fnralch | February 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me like BB is thinking more about having the best team possible on the ice for these crucial 2 games than he is about increasing Nylander's trade value. It appears that GMGM is letting him. That to me is a good thing.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | February 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

watch out for wideman bombs !

response: a mike green bomb !

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Huh? I thought that Neuvirth was starting today? What happened?

Posted by: ladysuz | February 28, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I wish we could find a way to trade Nylander. I'm perfectly happy with Feds centering Semin and Steckel centering Flash/Fehr. It's been working. We need a real solid effort today regulation win is the only real hope of even thinking about catching Boston. Also same day as NJ/Fla 2 big games.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I doubt that BB needs to showcase Nylanders talent. Any of the league's other 29 GM's know what he brings to the table in a potential trade. Its not as if this guy is 21 and in his 1st or 2nd year in the league.

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | February 28, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps they are putting pressure on Nyls to waive his NMC?? Could be he is still saying no to a trade and this is the only thing they can do to change his mind. I still think Chicago is possible, although Montreal picking up Metro smacks of desparation. Could be something we could do there.

As for Flash, I agree that he is not clicking right now. But I think he is on the wrong line. I would much rather see Flash/Feds/Sasha together and Laich/Steckel/Fehr. That gives us two second lines. 21/39/16 would be a beast and might never leave the O zone. They would be our 'dirty goal' line. And I think that 14/91/28 would be magical together.

BTW - Has anyone else noticed how BB is not shuffling the lines nearly as much anymore? Do you think he is getting ready for the playoffs? Granted, some of this is b/c the injury bug has left us.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

suz - I guess you listened to the postgame radio show. Those guys are idiots and get more wrong than right. Even the most basic hockey questions they don't seem to have the answer to.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall needs to play, why'd we even pick him up?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

two more comments:

GO CATS! - BEAT THE DEVILS!

That 'Jonathon Warn me if your gonna talk hockey' really needs to be replaced.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

And why does Kronwall need to play? So he can let someone else get 4 shots at punching it in at the post without ever hitting anyone? He is a practice player and that is it.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@ richmondphil

My last reply got left in the previous thread. Since it's musings on social observations and has nothing to do with hockey I'm not gonna repost it. Just read it and reply to it (if you deem it necessary) there.

---

@ ladysuz

Nothing happened. There was no plan to play Neuvirth today. He might play tomorrow vs. Florida.

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Ranndino - The idiots on the radio post game announced that he was going to start. That would have been pretty nuts for BB to do so I doubted it from the onset. Those radio post game guys really suck.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Who cares who's playing for the Bruins. To bad Lucic is not playing, It's better if they are all playing now so you gain a true understanding of where you stand against the conference's best team.

Posted by: diner99 | February 28, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

ranndino: (reposted from previous thread)
i won't try to argue that theo is better than backstrom. i would agree that def teams like minn spend more time in there dzone which leads to giving up many more shots. those def systems rely on most of those shots coming from the point with a good sight line for the goalie. in my opinion if you swapped theo and backstrom - theo would have slightly better numbers than he has now and backstroms would be a little worst. however i think the caps would be better overall - as you would have more of a chance with backstrom stealing a couple of games.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2009 12:06 PM

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

i read it. it just reiterated what you said the first time. I got the point, thanks for clarifying.

now to the issue(s) at hand. kronwall certainly did not get picked up to replace one of our top 6 d men. vaanahan got picked up by vancouver. he is a solid D man..would've been nice...

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy should play tomorrow no matter what happens today.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

backsktrom benefits from the system the wild implement, but the guy is still a great goaltender. he is perfect in the shootout.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I actually wish Neuvy were playing today. It would be the perfect test, to see how he does on the road against the top team in the East.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@ waitingsince75

Agree on the line combos to the point that I have nothing to add to your reasons. You've got it covered.

As far as Metropolit goes he's actually a good player for the price. I watched him a lot in Boston last year and the guy has a lot more skill then people think. He had some highlight reel goals. He's also very cheap so not much of a salary cap hit. Unfortunately for him he's one of those players that got labeled as a checker early on so he rarely gets to play with good offensive players.

@cstanton1

Once again your amazing hockey knowledge comes through with shining colors. Kronwall was obviously picked up as injury cover. Nothing else. He's a big D that we might need in the playoffs if someone gets hurt. Your penchant for making asinine statements is amusing though. Keep up the entertainment.

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Last year Theodore beat Backstrom in the playoffs and then got waxed by the Red Wings. I will give the edge to Backstrom but we need a threatening defenseman more than we need a goaltender. The Flyers are not afraid of our defense and they are the team we will ultimately face in the second round

Posted by: diner99 | February 28, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton1

I forgot to add. Perhaps we should scratch Green in favor of Kronwall. You know, cuz Kronwall needs to play and Green sucks.

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

kronwall needs to go through a life-swap machine with his brother.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

To Waitingsince 75: Check out Boudreau's postgame presser from Thursday night on washcaps.com. Boudreau said Neuvy would start against Boston, and I didn't think he was joking. The postgame guys were just repeating what Boudreau said.

Posted by: KWall1 | February 28, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@ladysuz

Yep, Jonathan Warner and Steve Ray got it wrong, they were putting out wrong information!! After the Thrashers game on their postgame show they said BB stated Neuvy was going to start against the Bruins. Yes, they are often wrong. They get their own trivia questions wrong. Once they were giving out tickets for the question "Which Cap had the last hat trick against the Bruins?" It was Ovie (who doesn't remember that if you were paying attention?!) They thought it was Chris Clark, but a lady called in and insisted that it was Ovie and they checked and Ovie was the right answer. They kinda suck.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

KWall1:

Oh, I didn't hear that.. then BB is the liar! JK!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@ Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

I guess I'm just gonna stand by what I said before.

Backstrom still is called upon to make at least 4-5 outstanding saves in just about every game.

As far as his ability to see the shots you can try all you want, but there's just no way you can make sure that your goalie sees every one of 35-45 shots per game. Theo sucks at picking up shots through traffic. Backstrom and the other goalies I've mentioned are excellent at it.

So IMO, if Theo and Backstrom were magically swapped Theo's numbers would be much worse than they are now. His GAA would be way over 3 and save % well below .900. On the other hand, Backstrom's stats with the Caps would be as good as those of Tim Thomas. Just MO, you may disagree.

I would still say that goaltending (with Theo as our #1) is by far our biggest Achilles heel coming into the playoffs. Head to head I would take almost any Eastern team's #1 over Theo in a 7-game series.

Since I'm a Caps fan I truly hope that he makes me look like an ass for thinking that, but that's what I think now. All the pundits agree as well. Every time they talk about the Caps chances on NHL on the Fly or TSN (sources I respect the most) they say that the Caps could go far "if the goaltending holds up".

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Just a quick follow-up on what I just said. Dave Reid, whom I consider the best hockey pundit on TV (the guy is incredibly intelligent, objective and picks up on all the little details... and never, ever talks out of his ass just to be controversial like say Pierre McGuirre) says this about the Caps playoff chances.

"This is a team that is so good offensively that I see them being able to overcome some goaltending issues".

To me that is right on. I just wish we didn't have to overcome.

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@ ranndino

I agree with you 100%. Theodore is not the goalie that is going to get us to the promised land. But right now it is easier to land a top tier defenseman that strikes fear into the opposition than to swap a medium goalie for an upper tier goalie.

Yes, the Caps would have to give up Fleischman and maybe even Alzner but the return of Pronger would put the Flyers on notice. It's almost like you have to make the deal so that the Bruins or Devils can't get him.

The Flyers are also in play for Pronger if they give them Brier and Parent.

Posted by: diner99 | February 28, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The pundits all have to comment on our goaltending or defense. They're going to have to make an effort to report what they think could possibly hold us back because when it comes to the playoffs there are no dead locks for making it all the way. Even though the Wings have won 4 of the last 11 Cups they've had their years in the playoffs where they bust out 1st or 2nd round as well.

Theo has proven he can win a series last year, everyone likes to point out he got waxed in the 2nd round but who did they play? Detroit. I compare Theo to Hossa...they're going to claim you can't do it in the playoffs until it finally happens.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm stoked. Let's go Caps! But them away early so I can leave and feel okay about it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

kinda sucks this game doesnt look like its in HD :( bummer

oh well....

GO CAPS!!!!!

Posted by: dmwechs1 | February 28, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I am glad Savard is playing. I want no excuses when we beat them. Give'em a whoppin they'll remember in the playoffs!!!!!!!!

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

wtf_e_feh:

They'll say they didn't have Lucic.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

*r

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

here's to ovi not giving everyone a heart attack this time around

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll drink some OJ to that!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Nicklas!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

nice setup.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

beautiful play!!!

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

NICKYYYYYYYYYY YES

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Caught em cheatin

Posted by: austinsteve | February 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

PERFECT

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Ovie's exit pass creates that rush, beautiful!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to everyone for setting me straight on the Neuvirth/Boston issue and on postgame radio shows. I'm a relatively new fan so it helps to know which sources are reliable.

Posted by: ladysuz | February 28, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

JoeB makes it sound as if, by scoring, we played right into their hands?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

that gave me a scare

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Juice is very lucky that hit Theo's knob.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

1 Bruin, 2 Caps in front. Take the body.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

that lead didn't last long

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

...uhhhh....maybe we did?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

bless what the hell is schultz doing?

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Posted by: mauree | February 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

KWALL - The radio guys still suck even if BB did say that.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

playing hockey? maybe?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this, Semin has been battling on the boards so much better of late.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

looked like schultz had the yawning net there...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

For the last three games, including today, Comcast Sportsnet HD has been losing picture and sound every few minutes for about ten seconds at a time.

I'm on Dish Network, but this is the only problem I'm having.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Oh, and ... Go Caps!!!

Posted by: rw-c | February 28, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Once again no dman protecting the front of the net. Two there, but nothing.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Ice may be choppy...lots of swingin and missin on the puck

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm not having problems with DirecTV.
You're right, Dave. Semin has been working harder in general, but he has been going to the boards more.
Bless Kozzie. I missed his talented self.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Shultz sucks so bad! He doesn't do anything. He's got size, why doesn't he frickin' use it? Knock someone over! Trade him.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

rw-c:
direct tv/center ice is broadcasting comcastHD - no problems

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

One thing that strikes me about this matchup is how much room there is for skating. Compare this game to the Flyer game in that regard. I still think that's why we match up better with the Bruins, our skill guys have more chances to shine.

Posted by: isaacc7 | February 28, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

whisper it but a certain streaming site is working..... sssshhhh!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 28, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Happy for you, Dave!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

UKDave...

Saw Liverpool somehow lost 2-0 today. Title race is over, eh? Man Utd. in the clear.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Semin draws another penalty. Too much skill. Feds still has some heat on his slapper too.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

here we go, another PP.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

C'MON POWER PLAY!!! B's look tough even strength.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

feds is so good.

just want to see some more of that ol finish.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

I like that he's still got "it".

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I like that they're booing Ovi. Good stuff happens when he gets going.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

My comments would violate the terms of service....

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

thats a bit ridiculous.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Well we're the Caps. We're not going to get calls just gotta deal with it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

here we go again with the crappy refs

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Are we again blessed with poor officiating?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

REFS, REFS, REFS! SO BLIND.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

how could you miss that?!?

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the top-level refereeing...

Posted by: fnralch | February 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Laich dragged the right leg, BS offsides call too.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Well that ws some bulls#$t. Miss one and then called a phantom one.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

thats why i dont like Semin. Hes a primadonna...gets upset because the bigger guy Chara knocks his stick out so instead of scoring to get back at him he picks up a stupid obvious penalty. Id trade him for Boumesster in a second.

Posted by: capsfan5252 | February 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

semin top shelf.

mark my words.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Come on refs!

Dave - Chelsea won again today (last minute winner). They are not dead yet. Liverpool maybe gone. Rafa must stay!!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 28, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Semin's stick went so high and so far, it was hard for the poor refs to see??? (EMPHASIS ON "POOR")

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan5252 | February 28, 2009 1:34 PM

lol.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Semin must be working out a lot too btw for that little hook to drag Chara off his feet. He went down faster than Malkin did catching his skate at the end of their game yesterday.

Crosby might not be playing but he's around in spirit.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

JMU, btw thanks for the spreadsheet! Had that last year, it's most useful for wasting hours at work!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 28, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan5252
remember last game when ovechkin attacked reasoner for a non call high stick when reasoner wasnt even the one who high stuck him?
trade ovechkin for pronger !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I find myself defending Semin again.

How is anything Semin doing cause Chara to tumble to the ice?

Posted by: austinsteve | February 28, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

They call a trip on Semin and his stick was waist high. I didn't see much there.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 28, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

And how's my sentence structure today while I'm at it?

Posted by: austinsteve | February 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

UKDave...

Chelsea is only tied with Liverpool after that win though. Man Utd up 7 points on both with a game in hand. It's over.

Semin a primadonna? I still think he gets the weakest calls against him of any player in the league. He's also still top 4 in Points per game (excluding Kariya's awesome 11 game season) so that's like basically saying you'd trade Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin straight up for Boumeester too.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

thats what you call a chara embellishment.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think i just saw Nicky backstrom take Chara head on. He is no punk!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

hey dave, vent is always open if you want.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

UKDave, Not a problem. I loved that thing last season, especially since pretty much every game had something to do with us making the playoffs. Its a bit less "kill or be killed" this season, but its still fun to watch the teams shuffle around. I just wish I could figure out how to put the tie-breakers in.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I like how Chara doesn't get called for the interference for knocking semin's stick out of his hands when the puck was no where near him, and how they didn't call that dive. Semin lifted his stick and Chara fell. HOW CAN YOU CALL A TRIP, WHEN SEMIN LIFTED HIS STICK. These refs and linesmen are HORRIBLE. Laich was def onsides on that one play on the four on four. He had one skate inside the zone and one skate out. The NHL needs to get better linesmen and refs that KNOW what they are doing out there.

Posted by: Thomas32 | February 28, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I saw Nicky stand Chara up too. Good lad Nicky, all those meatballs over the summer are coming good now.

The call on Semin was particularly rubbish!

Dave - I'm not gonna call it over for a few weeks yet!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 28, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Good lord Greenie had to buy it. I guess if you get the fat contract you might as well.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

holy hell, ovechkin almost decapitated himself.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he drives it all the time. The Pens fans next to me at the game last weekend said they've seen his truck lately. (I'm assuming the black SUV with the red trim is his)

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@phil

Been on the laptop watching on the big screen past few games, maybe we can do it up tomorrow for Fla assuming I'm coherent after tonight. This is one time I won't complain about 3pm start vs. a 1pm start.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

That interview with Green just proved that he is a total moron.

Posted by: gtydings | February 28, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

That interview with Green just proved that he is a total moron.

Posted by: gtydings

I switched to Georgetown.. what did Green say?

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

As soon as the game started saw Hunwick replacing Lucic on the Bruins' top line and thought huh, interesting. Kid has a good hockey IQ and offensive instincts, good skater. Well, I guess he's done all right there so far.

Bruins fans suck for booing Ovie every time he gets the puck. I'm cool with booing a player if he's done something dirty, but to boo someone just cuz he's good? Stupid.

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

parise laying the smack down on the panthers.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

He talked about his hair, drove around in his Lamborghini, and played soccer before the game with the Euros.

Posted by: gtydings | February 28, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

NHL officials hate Russian players. That's why Semin gets so many weak calls against him. Ovie is the best player in the game and he gets a ton of weak calls against him. Check out the treatment that Lebron and Kobe get from the officials in the NBA. There's no comparison.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@ Thomas32

NHL linesmen are incredible at their job actually. They're right when calling offsides 99.9% of the time, which is a lot better than you or anyone one of us could do. I'm often amazed at just how good they are when watching super slo mo replays. Get some perspective.

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I, of course, forgot to mention that the interesting part about Hunwick replacing Lucic at LW on the top line is that he's a defenseman.

OK, back to actually watching the game.

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure he was offsides, he lifted his skate that was on the blueline. The only skate on the ice was over the line, so he was offsides.

Posted by: isaacc7 | February 28, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Is it bad that I miss Neuvy's rebound control? Not that he would have made every save Theo has, but Theo still makes me nervous.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I've got to go pretend I like my co-workers. Go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

i would have bet money that kozlov would have buried that

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Gonna date myself here, but one of the worst decisions David Poile ever made was letting Scott Stevens go.

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | February 28, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Florida not helping at all.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

OVECHKIN IS THE BESTTTTTTT yeah keep booing him losersssssss

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

OVIE!!

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

YES!!!!!!!!!!! OVI!!!!!!!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

GREAT offensive zone pressure.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

idiot

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

and then....

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

that didnt last long.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

good job working hard for the puck morrison

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

is the bruins PA announcer ric flair? what is with the woooo after each goal

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

We can't hold leads can we? Yeah, our defense sucks, but Jose STILL isn't cutting it, he needed to make a spectacular save on that one for us.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Caps obviously reading "The Gary Williams How to Hold a Lead Handbook"

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | February 28, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I GOT IT!!! Morrison doesn't want to get traded. He's on audition right now, and the other teams see him making stoopid plays and taking stoopid penalties and they won't give anything up for him! Genius on his part!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

How many times this year have we scored and then seconds or a few minutes later the opponent scores. It's like we fall asleep. Thomas isn't going to give up many more goals so Jose can't let anymore in. Gosh hold on to the freakin lead.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@jg284481-5-37

RE: Letting Stevens go. There is a story I've heard about Stevens being involved (sort of indirectly) in a really bad incident involving a limo and Dino Ciccarelli. Supposedly that is why they got rid of him. Has anyone else heard this?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

is that save spectacular enough for you rachel?

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else think Poti has been less than impressive since his return? I don't see him being the puck mover they expected neither has been very strong defensively.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

wow. nice save by Theo.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

bleh brooks

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

we just dont seem to be all that good at breakaways.... grrrrrrr

Posted by: dmwechs1 | February 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@ccCapsFan

that story is definetely true, even my jersey friends acknowledge it.

F*** stevens. scum. and a head hunter.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@jg284481-5-37

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:19 PM

Yes. All 4 players in that car (stevens, ciccerelli, courtnall and one other) got caught with an underage girl. They were all gone within six months or so

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

sweet move by Laich on the breakaway...which was to not make one

Posted by: gtydings | February 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil: he should've got the second goal. The first was not on him, I'll give you that.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice way to shoot it right at the goaltender, Laich. Try a move next time

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | February 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@ccCapsfan

yep the limo was with dino, courtnall, and stevens and involved a 17 year old girl

they were all traded within 2 weeks of the incident

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

very freakin sloppy PP...

Posted by: dmwechs1 | February 28, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

dino and courtnall were the supposed culprits.

im pretty sure stevens didnt want to be here anyway.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@AleksanderOMunchkin

RE: Poti

I think he has been mostly pretty strong but he seems to make an awful play (like the one that just resulted in their goal) more often than you would expect for a guy who most of the time plays at a high level.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Laich has no moves, i think he doesn't know what to do when he's on a breakaway... he's like "hmmm what should I do?" and then he's stopped.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Don't suppose anyone has a link - atdhe has stopped working :(

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

On the Stevens comment, I forgot about that incident. Thanks everyone

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | February 28, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

If Fehr wants to be a big time force in this league he's gotta bury that.

Posted by: reesem37 | February 28, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

lumberjack erks is making his presence known in this game. good thing seeing how juice is non-existant.

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 28, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@reesem37

I was just thinking the same thing.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

ralCapsfan,
Thanks but atdhe is back! Just in time for the intermission!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 28, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

You can't *expect* spectacular saves from any goal tender. Sometimes we need one because the defense has hung him out to dry, but at that point, any save is a bonus. Theo has looked pretty good at the end of this period.

Posted by: isaacc7 | February 28, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Panthers down by 4 to the Devils, so we have to win to remain in 2nd.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Devils up 6-1 end of second. Devils with an offense and Brodeur back in goal, that scares me

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | February 28, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if the 2nd goal was entirely Theo's fault. He seemed a little off balance but you can only make so many one side to the other for a wide open one timer saves a game. He made 2 after giving up that goal so I'm not going to complain. If we're going to pinch so much they need to time it better we always give up the rush and just lay back on it. Go with more conviction if you're going to take a risk like that.

Great goal by Ovie, what else can you say, good job keeping the puck in the zone and just get it to #8.

Laich always tries to deke like he's Semin or Flash when he is one on one with a D man why not give it a whirl on a breakaway?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Not that anybody cares but Boston intermission news has Cassel traded from the Pats. No QB controversy in the locker room next year.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 28, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Stevens was NOT let go. He signed a free agent contract with St. Loius, one of the first for about 1 Million a year. More than Gretzy was making at the time. The cap got 5 first round picks out it. St. Louis then signed Brendon Shanahan and Steves was sent to New Jersay as compensation, and this rest as they say is History. Poile later admited it was the worst mistake he made while GM, letting Stevens go.

Posted by: RichC3 | February 28, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

The radio guys aren't good by any stretch, but they blow Frank Hanrahan out of the water...he did the postgame a few years ago, and he knew even less about hockey....he's always been a Wizards guy...

Posted by: R617 | February 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Cutie poo! Michal blowing bubbles!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Great job by Greenie shielding the puck. We need to capitalize on this (no pun intended) you know they're going to even up the calls.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Poile had fully intended to resign stevens but the limo incident forced his hand

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Stevens was NOT let go

wut?

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

RichC3

That's what I thought about Stevens.

According to PFT, Cassel will be sent to Chiefs

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | February 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

We'll take it

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

lol.

thats how they beat us in OT last game.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

YES! Now play defense!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Same way they beat us in OT in this building.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

paybacks are hell

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

karma, didnt they win in OT by a similar play off morrisons skate

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

thanks boston! we'll take everything you give us.

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Fleischman should go to his grave saying that he meant to score that goal...

Posted by: dmwechs1 | February 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

That made up for the time we lost when it bounced off of Mo

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Let's hold this lead for more than 2 minutes.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Green is completely out of sync today. Is it his new stick?

Posted by: fnralch | February 28, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm scared they Boston will score, come on Jose and defense!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

FLASH!!!

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

just hold on to it....Claude Julien is pissin me off..."Le what?"..."That is Le Crap!! He shoot Le late!!"

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

god dammit fehr.

gotta bury that rebound.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

And Fehr blows another clean scoring opportunity. If we ever put breakaways away no one would ever beat us.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

wow that coulda been 4-2. dummy fehr.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

That marks 3 QUALITY scoring chances I count for Fehr on the day!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I love his hard work of late and how he's been putting pucks in the net...but anytime he's had a clear shot on goal and the goalie could see it he's been stuffed. Make a DEKE.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Bruins D knocking Caps players down. Paying attention Caps D

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | February 28, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Fehr ALWAYS has great scoring opportunities, if he could score 1 out of every 3 good chances he'd have like 30 goals by now.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Dave, we just stink on breakaways, there's no way around it, we just always get stopped.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

They were paying too much attention...gave up a 2 on .5, we dodged a bullet there.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

caps are looking sloppy.

ice that puck and start over.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

you knew that was coming.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

dodged a bullet with that one

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

big time kill here

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

One could predict that PIM

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

when you let boston sustain pressure like that.

not his fault, had to do something. ice it, take a penalty, do something.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

You have to look at who's had the breakaways too though Rachel...if we're talking this game and Philly you have Laich twice, Steckel, Fehr all stuffed or missed completely. Backstrom got stopped by the iron. If it's Semin or Ovie I feel like they'd bury at least 2 or 3 out of 5.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

wow talk about a game on inches, THAT was close! should be 3-3. phew! we need that next goal, i can't breathe with a 1 goal lead against the bruins.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah good point Dave. Now gotta kill this!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Ah Poti...how we missed those flips that cannot be kept in the zone.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

no way jose

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Semin didn't bury it but GREAT play to draw the hook

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

nice work Sasha

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Semin draws third penalty today!!!!

Posted by: fnralch | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

great job semin.

that is how you do it.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Pronger a Bruin...oh boy that's not good

Posted by: gtydings | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Good job Semin :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

YEAH SEMIN

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Sasha!!! Way to work it.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Nice hustle by Sasha

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

That's a primmadonna anchoring our PK. Just saying.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Bad choice of words on my part. Poile did not let him go per say he had his hand forced. At the time Pollin would not allow Stevens to be signed for that amount of money, so he had no choice than to take the 5 draft picks. Pollin is funny about things like the limo ride, so maybe it was part of it, but the Million dollar contract was to much for Pollin to take.

Posted by: RichC3 | February 28, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

That's as much on the Boston guy as Brooks.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

sigh

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

LOL.

thats interference, but WHAT an embellishment by whoever that was.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

RE: Poti's flips

I have wondered whether some of the Caps delay of game problems is other guys trying to imitate Poti's move.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Should have been a dive call as well.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

hell of job

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Flash great work! Theo shake it off baby we need a few more big stops.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Pollin only cares about the Bullets/ Wizards anyway

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | February 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

How about Flash on this kill?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Rachel

It seems like Joe Say took your critism to heart!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

great job by theo staying composed during all that.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

No reason for Laich to collapse that low after we're back to even strength. Just leaves that cross ice backdoor pass wide open.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Just need an Ovie moment to seal this here.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

oh god.... come on guys....

Posted by: dmwechs1 | February 28, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

3rd period. PK guys should've known to fuel up ahead of time.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

God, WTF???

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

oof..

hopefully theyve got another kill in them.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

the nhl sucks

Posted by: reesem37 | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

if i had a dollar for every time schultz could clobber someone and he didnt....

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

wow, another penalty, if we keep giving them chances this game will go to overtime. STAY out of the freakin' box.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

hmm. that seemed harsh

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

apparently we're just begging boston to score in this period. come on PK

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

who is in the box now, this SO the wrong time to take dumb penalties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

they're going to score sooner or later.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Does the NHL send a memo to the game officials that if boston is down late you keep calling penalties until they tie it?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

We are surely playing with fire...come on boys

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Shocking...another 3rd period penalty

Posted by: MFab12 | February 28, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

the new* nhl sucks

Posted by: reesem37 | February 28, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

i man u just new it was coming...boston has been dominating this period

Posted by: reesem37 | February 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was bound to happen

Posted by: MFab12 | February 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

that's soft

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

omg...weak goal

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

played with fire

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Order the bigger size Jose.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

*&$%^@&*($%(@!^$(@!8$%!!!!!!!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Chara is one ugly horse head looking troll

Posted by: gtydings | February 28, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Calling an Ovie game winner.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I smell a Kozlov goal.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

we couldn't even buy a break.... *sigh*

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | February 28, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

What we all just witnessed was a classic Theodore soft goal. 7 hole soft on a clear vision wrist shot. This is what we shall expect in the playoffs

Posted by: diner99 | February 28, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope those breakaways don't come back to haunt us again.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

They are so stupid. For once, I thought they changed their penalty crazy ways but I guess not, I knew they were gonna score. There's no way you give them that many chances in a row and they don't score, ridiculous. Now we might lose the chance for a win in regulation. Dumb, just dumb.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I didnt like the way theo was killing our momentum before. After that hostess ho-ho he just let in the net, I am ready to say this game is on him, period!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Considering some of the great saves he's made I'll call it even. Not making him kill 3 penalties every 3rd wouldn't hurt. Let's get the late reg goal.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

SOG stats this period is telling but not surprising considering the number of PIMs

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

This is what I always talk about. Yeah, he can make some great saves, but then he gives up the worst goal, that was a pretty terrible goal to give up especially to that ugly man chara.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

We need this one in regulation. Not only because I don't want a 3 point game, but I have to leave for Kettler in a few minutes to get to my blood drive appointment

Posted by: doncosmic | February 28, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

That's the same trip that Malkin got called for him yesterday. No dice for us.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

where was that freaking interference call!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

god bless. schultz is soooo freakin bad

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Sigh...let it slip away. Oh well we can cut it to 8 points and we need to stay ahead of New Jersey.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but it is a distinguished horse head looking troll.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

yea, worst case is still a point on the road against a team with a better record

Posted by: doncosmic | February 28, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Schultz. My god pretend like you know what's going on.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dmwechs1 | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

SEMIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

WOOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WIN!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!!!!!!!! talk about a softie

Posted by: doncosmic | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!! LOL!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSS SEMIN!!

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

suck it Bruins

Posted by: gtydings | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

LOL THOMAS

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

what...what happened?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'd trade that guy.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

ouch

Posted by: reesem37 | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

We should trade for Tim Thomas. He doesn't let in soft goals like Theo does.

Just saying. We'll take it 2 points!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Well i shall spill my blood in a happy mood.

Posted by: doncosmic | February 28, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

LOL THOMAS

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH LOL

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

karma's a b*tch, season series 3-0-1 vs bruins

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Tim Thomas is at home waiting for the CBS Evening news???

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

:D

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | February 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow...last two goals were pretty soft...one by Theo but Thomas's takes the cake...overall nice effort by the boys.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm laughin my head off! Wow, that's not good for the best goalie in the NHL.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

FROM BEHIND THE BLUE LINE...

LOL THOMAS

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:31 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:32 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

gotta know that Theo is the most relieved guy in the locker room

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Well that wasn't a very satisfying end...I'll take it though!

Even though we beat them 3-0-1 in the season - I really hope somebody beats those guys in the first few rounds. They are scary good.

GMGM needs to do whatever he can to make sure the Bruins don't get Pronger or Nierdermyer.

Posted by: patrone | February 28, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Syoma from center ice!!! AAAHHHH!!!

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Theo got bailed out...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 28, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

my bruins friend:

"I'm in fu**ing shock right now."

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Thomas has never led a team in the playoffs either. All Boston can expect is soft goals like that.

Just saying.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

congratz to the caps on fastest to 40 ever!!! i love how brashear was taunting the fans after the game winner behind the bench. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | February 28, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I really wish I could say Jose had a great game, but that was such a bad goal given up, we could have gained 2 points on them, but instead we gain 1, oh well, he did save us many times.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

this is stupid, i'm listening to 1500 am on the internet and it's not Caps.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Eat it Bruins.

Posted by: DaleDUI | February 28, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@patrone

the rumor is that the ducks want phil kessel (there leading goal scorer) for pronger. if that happens it would be like us giving up ovie or semin. their D would be amazing but they couldnt score to save their lives

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@steve

look at this bit;

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 2:56 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

i hope neuvy starts tomorrow. i have no issues with theo and think he is doing a great job...1 bad goal today...not going to complain. i think neuvy might give varlamov a run for his money since he seems a little more stay at home and doesn't flail. going to be a great next few years for the caps!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | February 28, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Semin is a game changer. Yeah he takes dumb penalties sometimes. (the one today was BS can't blame him for it) He carried us through the first 15 games of the year while ovie was struggling and look how many games he has altered since he came back from the injury. 2 Bruins wins courtesy of Semin Slapshots. He is making 4mil this and next year. And he will probably command 6 to 6.5 after that. So thats only 2 to 2.5 extra that we will have to find for him in our cap. Check out www.nhlnumbers.com and compare Detroit's and ours. Once we clear out Nylanders, Clarks, Federov, Kozlov over the next two years We shouldn't have any issues creating room to keep Semin and Backs.

Posted by: lightshow | February 28, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful. Let's hope this has long term repercussions for Thomas' confidence in the playoffs.

Shades of Salt Lake and Tommy Salo.

Posted by: DaleDUI | February 28, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@ Davethecapsfan

The difference is that Thomas gives up soft goals once in a blue moon and makes tons of absolutely ridiculous saves no goalie has any business making.

Theodore gives up soft goals in just about every freaking game. I was pretty much expecting him to give one up when he was playing well in the 3rd. When Chara scored I said, "There it is".

Also, something the Bruins analyst brought up and is right on. People always say that our D needs to be better at clearing rebounds. But everyone forgets that the D would have a much easier time and look muhc better if Theo was allowing so many rebounds right in front. It seems that almost every shot bounces right in the slot which makes our D constantly scramble. You out a goalie in there who doesn't give up so many bad rebounds and all of a sudden it would make our D look much better.

Posted by: ranndino | February 28, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I never want Semin to leave. His talent is too great and it outweighs the bad and he's finally playing better. He has such a great shot, and it's so hard, that's why Thomas couldn't handle it and it just trickled through.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Winning the season series is a lot more satisfying than catching them. Caps know that they can beat them in Bawston. Let them have all the pressure of a #1 seed, we just need our team to be healthy and fresh for the playoffs..

Posted by: VladG | February 28, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@phil

wow, that would be like us trading morrison, a hershey guy, and a #1 for pronger...i would a have taken that any day of the week.

if this is true then wow the bruins are going to be sick

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree Theo can give up a lot of rebounds. Obviously I was being a little tongue in cheek with the Thomas soft goal comments. I'd argue Theo made the tougher stops today of the 2. My point about Thomas come playoff time is absolutely valid though.

I still think Theo should wear a bigger jersey. That's how all the best goalies vacuum up rebounds.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm LOL with joy for our win, not at Tim Thomas. Yeah his goal was the clinical definition of soft but that is not why I'm crackin' up. Just happy about our win.

Way to go boys!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

and pronger just scored for the ducks....so did niedermeyer

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@_Stevo

I'm worried about the value of Fernandez. I agree with you about Kessel - I don't think he's going anywhere.

I've heard that the Caps are interested in Pronger - I'm just worried about what we're going to have to give up. To get Pronger, Nylander has to be part of the deal - that's the only way we have the cap room for it without sending Semin out the door. If we're getting Pronger and asking the Ducks to take Nylander - we're going to have to give them top talent to get it. I'm thinking Fleishman, Alzner, and one of the following Lepisto, Giroux, Osala, or Bourque.

Not sure if that's worth it.

Posted by: patrone | February 28, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Theo is not good at tracking the puck, but the D sure doesn't help him out in that dept, too much pinballing going on in our zone with the puck

Posted by: austinsteve | February 28, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Now that I'm re-reading what I wrote - I think you might also have to include Fehr to get that deal done.

Posted by: patrone | February 28, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

minus the soft goal from both goalies, i thought theo outplayed thomas today

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, NJ killed Florida. :/

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

As long as Ovi is with the Caps, Semin will never leave, IMHO. They're like Batman and Robin, Yin and Yang, Laurel and Hardy, Wren and Stimpy, Burns and Allen.....

Seriously, I don't think Semin would survive without Ovi. They're like soul mates. Before Ovi arrived, Semin was a loner, played very erratically and looked emotionally depressed most of the time. He even held out one year to stay in Russian. He'd probably take less money just to say alongside Ovi. I could only see him leaving for a ginormous contract in Russia. Or maybe to play with his idle Crosby.

But why such talk? Today we celebrate a hard-earned victory by our Caps against the best team in the league in their house. Cheers.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 28, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I know we have bigger aspirations but might only be another 2 weeks before we can crown back to back Southeast titles. I know our division gets crapped on a lot but high chance of 2 teams and outside chance of 3 making it into the playoffs this year.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't want the Caps to get in a bidding war over Pronger. I'd rather they go for a 2nd tier stay at home defenseman.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

That's not fair. Devils faced Craig Anderson, tomorrow we'll have to face the much better goalie, Vokoun.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Boudreau about Flash's productivity. While Flash may not have been scoring as many goals lately, Fehr's productivity on the ice is really good when he's with Flash. But Flash did score today.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 28, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
isn't it time to write an article about Semin?..

Posted by: fnralch | February 28, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Semin can be the best player in the league if he plays hard every game. His skill is unlinke anyone elses.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Write an article about Schultz since he assisted on Semin's goal. It was all Jeff

Posted by: gtydings | February 28, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know of a site that that tracks face-offs won/lost during games? I can't seem to find that statistic anywhere on NHL.com boxscores. Am I just not seeing it?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I think many people are forgetting that this current team with all its "flaws" is second in the conference! Why mortgage a future of 1st or 2nd place conference finish and cup finals appearances for an expensive Pronger experiment. His wife probably wouldn't like it here anyways! Alzner, Flash, Fehr and our picks are what keep us great for the next 5-10 years and not pathetic like our Pittsburgh friends to the north. The only players I would trade at this point would be Nylander or Morrison. Everyone else is part of great potential and the family atomosphere these guys have built together for the past few years.

Posted by: Pakkattack | February 28, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2009 4:40 PM

For this game, anyway. Go to the team site and click on the Event Summary.

Posted by: Section117 | February 28, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

with the salary cap era now, we have to take a run when we have the chance (which we do right now). to get one of the best defenseman in the league (pronger) over the past 10 years, we may have to sacrifice a fehr/flash/hershey guys. I would be very content giving up fehr, bourque, pick for pronger

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow a victory in Boston! And a back-to-back victory :)

So how did the Caps played? Can somebody make a summary with impressions?

Posted by: mauree | February 28, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Section117. Looking at that URL you posted, I figured I must have been missing something on NHL.com. Sure enough, it's there. Instead of clicking on Boxscore, I needed to click on Stats. After you click on Stats, you get a drop-down of Game Sheets to choose from, including the one in your link.

Thanks again.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

They even have a detailed Face-offs Comparison Game Sheet that shows face-offs W/L by player and zone. That's even better than what I was hoping for.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@_stevo
With the players we will have for the next 5-10 years we will always have a chance to make a run with or without the salary cap. GMGM seems to have managed the numbers quite well for the next few years. I'm OK with adding a player like Pronger, but would definitely not give up Alzner, Carlson, or Semin. Such high prospects and our second best player are not worth it this year.

Posted by: Pakkattack | February 28, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Mauree: A very back and forth game, coulda gone either way, and very flukey as well. Caps held 3-2 lead until 3 straight penalties (suprise, suprise!) On the third try they scored (it was bound to happen, you give them 3 straight chances, they'll eventually find the back of the net.) Jose was spectacular at times and saved us several times but that game tying goal was pretty bad, he would love to have that one back. And as I was worrying in my head about going to a shootout, Semin shoots from beyond the blue line, it trickles through Thomas and into the net, Caps win! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks rachel :)

Just saw the highlights, some outstanding saves by Theo - but the Caps had good chances as well. On 2-2 we got very lucky with Flash... if BOS had score, I'm not sure we could have tied it. The penalties must stop... was it the ref or were those real penalties?

Posted by: mauree | February 28, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

oopps my brain is fried, tomorrow it's the back to back.

Posted by: mauree | February 28, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@ _stevo and Pakkattack

You are both forgetting about the cap. A deal for Fehr, Borque, and a pick doesn't work because we don't get rid of Nylander. Unless Nylander leaves - there is zero chance of picking up Pronger. He's a 6M cap hit!

However, _stevo makes a good point about needing to add a player for a cup run. You've got to give up good players to get good players. That said, I don't think adding Pronger for Fehr, Nylander, Bourque, and a pick is a horrible trade. I think you'll need to add Fleish in there for the Ducks to bite though. Whether that's worth it is really up to GMGM - I think it might be - if only because Pronger is signed for another year - he isn't a UFA after this season.

We'll see what GMGM does though...I'm really hoping we can find a taker for Nylander - it's a disservice to him and the caps to keep him in Washington.

Posted by: patrone | February 28, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, we do technically have back to back victories in the sense that we won two in a row....

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 28, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@Pakkattack

agreed, i would not give up semin, alzner, or carlson and would hesitate on osala for pronger, but i dont think fehr or flash are off the table

anyone read claude "le" julian's comments, he says the caps talk alot.... well they can when we are 3-0-1 this season against the bruins

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

mauree: The refs were half decent today. They made a stupid call early on when Semin's stick was taken out of his hands by Chara which SHOULD OF been interference but Semin goes near Chara and kind of waves his stick at him and they called tripping. (very stupid, I know) and once again, a call which should of gone one way, not only doesn't go that way but goes the other way, If you know what I mean. The refs miss the blatant interference call on Chara and then get Semin. That and the Brooksy interference call was a little iffy. Bottom line is that we just need to stay out of penalty box. We are just asking for trouble when we're taking all these penalties, especially 3 in a row, I don't care what team it is, nonetheless Boston, you give them 3 straight chances, they'll find the back of the net eventually.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

this is why the point system in the nhl is screwed up:
wash vs bos: 3-0-1
bos vs wash: 1-2-1
WTF?
nhl needs to fix that and some of the cheap calls that go against the caps in the third period of what seems to be every game now

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Must... convert... more... on... breakaways.

Particularly, Laich and Fehr.

We likely win today in regulation if we convert on one of those. The last Flyers game probably would have had a different outcome as well if we finished just one of those early breakaways.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

much like calling an election race - here it is:
with just over 75% (of games) reporting - BOS will get the nod as first seed in the EC - with a landslide decision in the NE div
NJ (w/ brodure back) will just hang on to edge PHI in the ATL div- good for third seed
WASH takes the SE div as FLA and CAR struggle for a playoff spot - second seed in EC

DET and SJ go all the way to the wire (each winning their div easily) for first seed in the WC
CAL will hold off VAN for NW div title and third seed

presidents cup goes to: SJ
followed by DET, BOS, WASH and NJ

i know - no shocking changes to the current standings

dare i say - ssshhhhh: make my words?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

Agree about scoring on the breakaways...scoring on these tends to suck the life out of the team that gives them up.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 28, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

Smiling at the must...convert...comment. Is that a certain actor reference : )

Kidding aside you are right on...gotta put the puck in on those.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

how about 'mark' my words

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@steveo

Yeah, I read claude's comments...sounds a bit bitter if you ask me

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Dave said this earlier: It's the players that are on breakaways lately... Laich, Steckel, Fehr... If Semin were on a breakaway he'd have a much higher chance of scoring cause he's got his moves. The other players just shoot it right to the chest of the goalie...

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Tim Thomas: “That was one of the luckiest shots I have ever seen."

Um, lucky? Okay it was a little lucky but call it lucky cause you didn't stop it. Semin put everything he had into that shot and it was so hard that it trickled through him... why can't he just say "I should of had that one, my bad." What a loser. I'm glad that happened to him. :)

But nothing beats that goal scored on Vesa Toskala a year ago!! lol!!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan5252:

Posted by: capsfan5252 | February 28, 2009 1:34 PM

i think at this point you should have eaten some humble pie, after taking your foot out of your mouth and possibly your head out of your a$$. Semin basically won the game for us against the Bruins. S*ck it, dude!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 28, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Another comment: did everyone expect us to bulldoze through the Boston Bruins? It seems like it because despite the obvious hard effort the Caps put into this game, I'm sensing a lot of bitterness like people think they could have put a better effort in this game than our Caps did. Celebrate the victory, people. Quit pi$$ing on your cornflakes, people, and blaming it on our team.

Hit the Panthers hard and fast tomorrow, Capitals!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 28, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

rachel,

Tim Thomas really said that? Explain the luck. How was it lucky? I don't get it. Where did luck come into it from Semin's end? What a frapin' loser.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse