Today's Lineup vs. Boston

Cristobal Huet will start in net for the Caps and is expected to oppose Boston backup Alex Auld. Meantime, Steve Eminger and Eric Fehr will be the scratches for Washington.

Forwards:
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Fedorov-Semin
Laing-Gordon-Bradley
Brashear-Laich-Cooke

Defense:
Morrisonn-Green
Poti-Schultz
Jurcina-Erskine

Here are some other notes from Bruce Boudrea's pregame chat with reporters:

*Asked about Fleischmann, who returns to the lineup after a being scratched the past two games: "He needs to be more meat and potatoes. He's got to bear down when he gets opportunities. What frustrates me is he gets great opportunities, but he sort of lets up. He needs to bear down and put the puck through the net. He tries to make the cutsie little play. He'll learn, and he'll become a goal scorer."

*About Gordon replacing injured center David Steckel on the checking line, Boudreau said: "Other than size, they are very similar players. With the addition of Fedorov, it makes it so much easier because we've got another left-handed face off man who's very good."

*Boudreau was also asked about Huet's play in his first two starts. "Only six goalies make the NHL All-Star Game and he was one of them last year. There's a reason Montreal was at the top of the conference when he started 14 or 15 games in a row. He's a good goalie and a good person, and if you add those two things up, you have a successful person."

*As for not getting any help from the teams the Caps are battling for a playoff spot, Boudreau said: "It's the mentally strong ones who prevail. If we look at that and get frustrated, then we're in trouble. We just need to take care of ourselves, and eventually everything will take care of ourselves."

"I get frustrated because [the team] works so hard to put itself in position. But it seems like every time you don't play, you lose ground. But we can only control what we can control."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 8, 2008; 11:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark Getting Close?
Next: Today's Lineup vs. Penguins (Updated)

Comments

Bruce is obviously expecting the Bruins to come out with guns blazing. His comments in Tarik's article are one thing, but putting Laing back in the lineup is a clear sign that he feels he's going to need some extra defense.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 8, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

My first time seeing Ovechkin and the Capitals live! Off to the Garden!

Posted by: ranndino | March 8, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Ranndino

Have a blast! Everytime I watch Ovechkin, I feel like I may be watching history in the making. He is truly one of a kind and a thrill to watch in person.

Posted by: 8 is enuf | March 8, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking for that Felisch-Fed-Sem line to put up some serious points today.

Posted by: Joneyman | March 8, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

This is a big game for Boston. They will remember..

Remember when we got pissed about the Habs beating us 4-0. How do you think Boston feels?

Posted by: SA-Town | March 8, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Welcome back! We missed you ... the board was out of control without your wisdom. All is right in the world again!! :-) BTW, you missed a heck of a game Mon - it was the most fun that I have had at VC in a long time! Hopefully today's match will be just as exciting (geez, I would settle for 1/2 as much fun! ;-)). LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Everybody said the same thing about Ottawa.

"We beat Ottawa 3 times, they will be mad."

Screw them. We can beat them, I don't care if they are mad. We are the better team, and we will win today.

Posted by: Tyler | March 8, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

The Caps need to bring back Oscar Osala so they can have a Oscar/Felisch "Odd Couple" line. :-)

Posted by: Bish | March 8, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Felischmann-Fedorov-Semin

spell check :)

Posted by: Yo | March 8, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Flash will play with a lil fire in his belly.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 8, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@Chief Boo!

Yes, I'm sorry i missed monday's game. I got on the internet to check the score near the end of the first and had to call Steve because I didn't believe we had earned wings in the first period.

I think they will do well today. they are playing well. I will now make a predicition that I will come back and point to later to show my wisdom:

If Alex Ovechkin scores, he will be happy!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Boston is going to try and take it to us early and with abrasiveness. We can't get undisciplined, period. If everybody backchecks and stays out of the box, it'll be a fun game to watch for us.

Lets Go Cap-I-Tals!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 8, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Tick-tock, tick-tock ...

Pre-game buzz sure would be nice - I really don't care about baseball ... :-/

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Waiting for the game to start on XM....

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Why aren't you watching? In the car on your way to Boston?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Time to....UNLEASH THE FURY!!!

Posted by: Jake | March 8, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Chief Boo!

I am at work. being a guru does not pay as well as you would think. But I will be at the game tomorrow.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yikes..

Bradley got smoked.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 8, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Brads just got his arse handed to him!

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Brash is showing Brads how to do it...

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Brashear did better!

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The Boston Radio guys gave bradley high marks for standing in....

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

What a start lol...

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

WOW ... the box is almost SRO! LOL!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I was planning to write a paper while watching this game, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible. Go Caps!

Posted by: honed | March 8, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize the power play had risen up to 6th in the league..

If it keeps looking like that it won't stay there long.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 8, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
I don't aspire to be a guru anymore ... anyway, see you at the phone booth tomorrow!

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Chief Boo!

We are all gurus, on the inside!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow ... this is gonna be a looooong 60 minutes! LOL!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
LOL!! Well, maybe not ALL of us ... ;-) So tell me, how on earth do you get any work done with the game on XM and WaPo on your computer?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap he's good.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 8, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

LET THE FLOOD GATES OPEN!!!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSS!! Lets Go Caps!!

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Chief Boo!,

It's tough. But I am a finance manager for a car dealership, so if I don't have a customer, I can listen to the game. Often I can go watch it on HD, but not on a saturday

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if a customer comes in, they have to listen to the game too.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Customer: "I like this BMW"
Lee: "Not now we are a man down"

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru -- I can watch this one at home, the dealership I worked for shut down this week.

Posted by: uncatim | March 8, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@Lee

Try this:

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@uncatim,

A CAR dealership shut down? that's unheard of!

@mauree,

it;s very close to that. they can't talk unless we are between periods. So all the extras gett added, and they can't protest! ;)

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
It is so nice to see that you have your priorities straight! ;-)

I am surprised that Huet does not have his new mask yet - I could have whipped something up for him faster than that (maybe glitter and googley eyes?!?).

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@mauree,

That will get me in trouble. Too much band with. plus, i will get NO work done.

Thank you so much for giving me a taste....

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
wow - justin.tv ... who knew?!? :-) you know all the nifty stuff. only problem is that that announcer is annoying ... :-X

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

What a great, intense first period. I hope they keep it up for 40 more minutes because this is great hockey.

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Green's playing like he spent too much time at the bars near Fenway last night.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 8, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

why was the knee on knee hit involving cooke a major pentalty and a game miscounduct?

Posted by: Kim | March 8, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The knee on knee wasn't intentional, the game misconduct is a very bad call.

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Great penalty kill

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 8, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Cooke's knee on knee contact looked accidentally or at least incidental. I dont think it was all deserving of an ejection

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Greenie looks hung.

Major on Cooke was a serious home call.

It looks like the pucks are not frozen.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 8, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Cooke, in my opinion, shouldn't have been ejected.

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Huet is keeping us in the lead right now

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Huet may be keeping us in the lead, but he is still not working as hard a Auld - we have more shots on goal than they do.

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

We need another goal :D

Come on boys, keep flooring the accelerator - don't let up!

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I think the major was the right call at the time because of the injury. When a hit like that requires a player to be helped off the ice then 9 times out of 10 you will get a major for it. I know he came back in the game, but the refs didn't know that at the time

Posted by: Mike | March 8, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Joe B said the "S" word!

$#!t

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 8, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@Mike
We all agree on the major, but not on the game misconduct. That was a bad call.

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Did Green's girlfriend move in or somethin'?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 8, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I looked at the rulebook to figure out the game misconduct...apparently if there is a kneeing major then the referee must also call a game misconduct.

Posted by: Kim | March 8, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO RULEBOOK!!!!

Posted by: galu | March 8, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I keep looking at the replay, and i dont even know if i see the kneeing major. yeah, i think there was contact there, but the bruins' player's pleg was the one that was extended.

if anything, cooke just didnt budge and let it happen

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

uh no....

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

aww man...

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

dear god...

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The high stick was one thing, but why did he have to pop that guy?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

this isnt good...

Posted by: kim | March 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

you've got to be kidding me...

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

oh my :(

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

OH MY GOSH ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

damnit

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Do they want to win this?!?!?!

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I guess boston has activist judges and activist refs

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

This is not good. they could end up with a big lead if this keeps up...

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

no discipline by cooke or brash
why is brash playing with a 1 goal lead and 5 minutes left

Posted by: wendel | March 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Poti totally screened Huet. He never saw it.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

why caps why

Posted by: kim | March 8, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

this is bull%$#&%#!

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I blame GMGM for this!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

BB is cursing at the refs... you don't need to lip read to know what he's telling them...

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm so bitter right now...

Cut Brashear... calls himself a leader? Cut Erskine...

Posted by: 828 | March 8, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

well looks like we blew this one

Posted by: kim | March 8, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

So stressful... I have been admiring Brash but he screwed up this time. The Poti's call that gave them the lead was bs.

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm booing Brashear tomorrow... way to be a leader tough guy.

Posted by: 828 | March 8, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

You can't blame Erskine for that.... he made a small little stick lift that got close to the players hands and the guy went down like he was shot... if you are going to make a call like that, you better call a dive as well

Posted by: Mike | March 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

absolutely tragic
Brash better sit tommorrow since he cost us the game today selfish, stupid, and costly lack of discipline

Posted by: wendel | March 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

we gave this one away with stupid plays, but the refs have to get an assist on that one. Way too many consecutive calls. That Poti call should have been a call on the B's for hooking... bad ending.

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

So stupid... what a joke...

Posted by: 828 | March 8, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

VERY upsetting loss. Need to take it out on the pens tomorrow. Brash needs to sit!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

BRASHEAR AND POTI SUCK a$$!!

Posted by: Puckguru | March 8, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

What the F! Stupid dumb penalty by Brash costs us the game. Livid doesn't even begin to describe. UGH.

Posted by: SLM | March 8, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and anyone else notice the league moves the game to 1230, and the Pens aren't evn playing today? Caps gonna be tired. . .

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Poti split that guys stick in half and the hooking play up the boards happened after the call was made on Poti. The penalty i am pissed about was Erskine.... what a dive and that is what opened the flood gates. the B's can't score 5 on 4, but you give them 4 minutes of 5 on 3 you might as well not even bother playing the game

Posted by: Mike | March 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Bruins better be thanking the Caps and the NHL for those 2 points.

Posted by: MikeZ | March 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Brash knows he screwed up big time...look at him in the box...he was as down as ive seen a player.

Plus we might need him vs some of the Pens' goons.

There were a lot of bad calls in addition to that...very depressing game

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

STUPID A$$ POTI SCREENED HUET FOR THE FIRST GOAL. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP DEFENSE MAN!!

Posted by: Puckguru | March 8, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Brashear shouldn't get a sweater tomorrow. At the end of the season we'll look back on this one. We could REALLY have used a point today.

Posted by: Lee | March 8, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Other than the Brash calls, that was some weak officiating...to put it mildly.

At least we know that the only way the B's can beat us is with a 6 minute 5 on 3. Bunch of BS...

Posted by: Scott | March 8, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@puckguru

Go away, you're not a fan...you only come out when bad stuff happens. I think that makes you a depressing human being. I could put up with you if you ever posted when the weather was fair.

IF there is such a phrase, youre a poor weather fan.

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@828
Ya I agree with you on the thanks brash, but the erskine call was bs. The guy was falling down when he slashed him. Then the one on poti, gordon,I think it was, got taken down. How did they not call that? Ya i agree they should have called a pen on poti, but how can you not call the pen on the guy that took gordo down?

Posted by: Thomas | March 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

SCREW YOU CZECHMIX!!

Posted by: Puckguru | March 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The Poti AND Erskine calls but no hold on Gordon along the wall??

Yeah, the Refs have to keep it consistent and BB has every right to complain. This was a major home call BS win for them.

Remember all, we play them here in a week.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Brash basically cost them the game today. Stupid, stupid, stupid penalty. He has been taking stupid penalties all year.

Posted by: Ben | March 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@828
How about you also say thanks refs for the last 6 min. Even BB is pissed at the refs. I saw him clapping for them as the skated off the ice. Ya brash did do something stupid, but it was very even called in the last period.

Posted by: Thomas | March 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe it... we had them...

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
As sick as I am about this loss (and the most outrageous 7 minutes of hockey I think I have ever seen), your post did make me laugh out loud! :-) Thanks - I needed that!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

WOW! Pcukgur showed emotion. If you can do that on a blog. Of course, interesting how it comes out following a loss....

I'd love to hear BB's presser after the game. Maurree, any links for that?

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

You ok there Puckguru?

Someone needs to remove the Caps Lock Key from your keyboard. You might actually sound semi-intelligent if someone did.

Wait, the usage of $ as a replacement for 's' still makes you look less than stellar.

...and the misspelling of my name...that makes you seem great.

You should apply to Referee in Boston--you'd fit in great

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I sure hope the Boston Police are escorting those referee's out of TD Bank North Garden or Gabby is going to be standing outside their dressing room door with a hockey stick ready to swing when they try to leave!! The penalities in this new NHL are stupid and if we didn't have that retard Bettman running this league the rules might be revisited.

Posted by: Mitch | March 8, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

you all need to stop hating on brash, it was an accident that he missed the guys stick and it went and hit him in the face- you cant seriously be calling for his head when he missed the stick by probably a half inch. the other calls were ticky tacky but it happens and to say poti is an awful defender is just outrageous. yes he was in the way of huet and that let the goal in but the bruins guy was pushing him back and setting a great screen, some of this was hard work by the bruins when they needed it, i mean that second goal was really nice (just wish it had been from a guy in a white sweater)

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

What a joke? An absolute joke. Boston still sucks and they can't skate with Washington 5 on 5. They handed that game to them.

Donald Brashear better HOPE this team makes the playoffs. That was plain stupid. I don't care what reputation he has had in the league. You have to be smarter than that. Just a jackass move.

The refs: consistent? That was anything but late in the game. WHERE WAS THE TRIPPING on the call on ERskine? The guy was already falling down. I swear that has to be the worst call. Then of course the no-call with Gordon being held but we can watch the slash. Try watching the puck and where the action is at ref. Joke joke.

This only makes the margin of error for Sunday that much more. Anything less than two points against the Pens is a failure. Buffalo better win in Carolina tonight or the only way the Caps get in is the #8 seed. This hurts.

Posted by: Jonathan | March 8, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I blame Semins. Say what? We are not blaming Semins anymore? OK. I blame GMGM. Huh? Ted? Hanlon? Russians? ...

I hope you admires of goon hockey enjoyed the game. I hope the Caps seat one of the Russians tomorrow.

Posted by: x | March 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

My power went out for about 15 minutes so I missed the Brash call. Why do you punch someone after you KNOW you're getting called for high sticking? Stupid.

The Erskine call....total dive. I can't believe after already giving the other team a 6 minute power play that a ref would call that.

Poti needs to be smarter, but they could have easily called a penalty on the bruins along the boards at the same time as the Poti call.

Still, we didn't play well enough to win this game. The B's hit two posts earlier in the game that could have easily been goals. Flash hit a post as well, but still, not happy with our play. We better bounce back tomorrow.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

How fitting. I was reading BB's quotes from before the game "We can only control what we can control." Can't control the refs...

Posted by: stuffedinvader | March 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I WANT TO BREAK SH#%

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@ Mr. no name poster saying we need to stop hating on Brash. What game are you watching? The high sticking penalty was an accident. Or did you miss the fact that he punched Hnidy right in the face afterward? That's what has us hating on him right now. THere was no need at all for him to throw that punch. NONE. And it only added on to the penalty kill time. In a game that close and at that stage of the game...I don't care how much of a goon you are...you should have been aware and been smart. He wasn't and he put his team in a difficult position because of it.

Posted by: Jonathan | March 8, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Brashear was an absolute dumb f. The first four minutes were unavoidable. That stuff happens. But the last two minutes should put slivers on his ass for the next three weeks.

I can too blame Erskine. His stick was no where near the puck. It isn't so much that he took the guy down, but he took him down feet first into the boards. That might not get called on the home team, but on the road, his exaggerated effort makes no sense. Who in the hell does he think he is, some kind of short handed goal sensation? Why does he play anyway? Half the guys on this blog can skate as well as he can.

The call on Poti was BS. The call should have gone on Boston. Those chicken s*** mfs would never have called that on the home team. It was bad enough they let Shara play with a broken stick.

Gawd did we get f-ed. Those two zebra a-holes (and they don't even deserve a capital A) were bound and determined to get Boston the W. Those two losers can't get HIV infected fast enough.

Complaining won't get Boudreau anywhere either, at least not this year. The league will cirle the wagons on those sh**heads. Maybe if they are equally braindead several more times this year, they might and the operative word is might, get fired. Afterall, the league finally got rid of those loser-schmucks Morrell and Hoggarth, but it took them more than ten years to come to the same conclusion the fans had formed years before.

Posted by: Old Bob | March 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Get off Brashs case... Okay so he cost the Caps the Lost 2day... He got caught in the moment "Thats hockey 4u"... Leave Poti/Big John out of this... Poti is on a point streak and has played terrific D of late... Big John is obvisouly doin something right if Bruce if putting him in the lineup more now other then Eminger/Lepisto... Yes the Refs had so/so calls and that... Lets face it Sh*t happends and we move on to Pittsburgh 2mmrow... If the Caps let this game get under there skin they wont make the playoffs at all... Hopefully Bruce will tell em to let this one go and take it to Sid Da Kid/Geno/and the Pens 2mmrow to get back into contention... Lets all cross are fingers 2nite that the Sabres can beat Carolina straight up 2nite and not have a Overtime win so the Canes can not have 2more points up on us...

Other then that dont make stupid comments like Brash has takin stupid penalties all year and such... You forget that when Donald absolutley destroys the other fighter on another team you are the one cheering Donald Donald Donald... So just let this go... People make mistakes and Brash made a 6 minute mistake to cost the Caps 2day... Move on and lets take is to the Pens tommrow... Dont abandoned ship now Caps fans we have come to far...

-Go Caps

Posted by: ZackAttack | March 8, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@Chief Boo!

I'm glad i was able to bring you a smile.

In addition to this being GMGM's fault, I also believe if Sluggo was here, we would have won!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@Old Bob

I agree on every count.

It also is interesting to note, that on the Bruins' tv station, the commentator yelled 'Oh no!' when the poti penalty occured, because he thought the call was on savard. So basically no one in hell knew what the Ref was thinking.

The same d-bag also yelled 'Take That!!' when they scored on us. Also called Backstrom a cheap shot artist

Posted by: czechsmix | March 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

zack,
sit on it

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

no way brash should have been on the ice in that situation. the coach cost this game.

Posted by: bjoad | March 8, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Remember that incident at the Dog Pond (Cleveland) several years ago when the Z's got trashed literally for several blown calls and they needed a police escort to get them away from the stadium? Some memories are sweeter than others.

Posted by: Old Bob | March 8, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Everytime the Caps are in a huge game, where they could make a statement, really help vault themselves into the post season...they blow it and play like crap. Same thing last week against Toronto. They need to win the next 3 or 4 in a row, or I think they're done. If they lose tomorrow, season over. Just my opinion. But this team loses a LOT of games that they should win.

Posted by: Sam | March 8, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I've got to say, I have seen a lot of bad calls this year, not only with the Caps. Not sure about the solution but some change is in order - or important games like this are going to be decided in a stupid stupid way. Makes you lose faith in the system.

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the refs were Rob Martell and Chris Rooney. Hope we get an opportunity to tell them what we think of their anscestry some time in the future.

Posted by: Old Bob | March 8, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

AMEN, Leeguru!! ;-)

Old Bob:
I feel your pain - I really do - we are all frustrated. But you hope the refs get "HIV infected"?!? Eww ... that's just wrong.

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@Sam,

I think that just shows the youth of the team. It will swing the other way over the next the few years.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom a cheap shot artist? How stupid are these Boston announcers?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 8, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
But the irony is, the players who were involved are not "young" ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@Chief Boo!

I was going to say that. But as a whole, the team is very young. Only 1 goal after 10 on monday? I can point to youth for that. Get over excited. Force things, DOn't do the things they need to to score.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game. What a bummer. Brash lost this one for us.

Posted by: ranndino | March 8, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
There you go being wise again ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I had a very late night last night and slept through the game. I'm glad I did, from the looks of it. Let's see:

1) Refs screwing the Caps, as always
2) Giving up goals late to lose, as always
3) Losing at a crucial point of the season, in a must-win game, as always.

Seems like this has been the Caps' story since the lockout. Does anyone remember when the Caps were solid? Does anyone remember when the refs didn't try to screw them just because they were the underdog?

Ahh, I'm just going to go back to sleep.

Posted by: Kip | March 8, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"how come there was no call when they tripped ovechkin and the blueline with 50 seconds left?"

Exactly!

"you all need to stop hating on brash, it was an accident that he missed the guys stick and it went and hit him in the face- you cant seriously be calling for his head when he missed the stick by probably a half inch."

I'm not pissed so much about the high sticking, I understand that it happens.
I'm pissed because he lost his cool and got the extra 2 minutes for Roughing.

And way to call Chara for trying to play the puck with a broken stick instead of immediately dropping it like you're supposed to!

Posted by: Joe | March 8, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope punching that guy made Brash feel better, because unfortunately he might as well have just punched each of his teammates too.

What was up with our second line today? To say they looked tentative is putting it mildly. I hope someone other than Flash is out there tomorrow.

Also, think they guys are trying to get #91 a goal. He is a leader. Did anyone else see him pull Laich over during the timeout so that he could see what was going on.

Posted by: Other Kim | March 8, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

i hope the refs cease to exist, how bout that one boo

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I hope Bruce sits Brashear tomorrow. He needs to think about how he cost the team the game. Flash needs to start finishing his opportunities. He had a wonderful chance to give the Caps a 2-0 lead, and missed it wide. Either he gets it together, or sit him out as well.

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

(die)

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I think brash just punch the caps out of the play offs, what a dumb penalty hope carolina and the flyers dont win tonight

Posted by: erick | March 8, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

its amazing how much the outcome of a sporting event can affect your mood...

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 8, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

never seen anything like the last 6 minutes of this one. there's no choice but to bench brash. Huet deserved a shutout. He deserves to play tomorrow. Can someone tell me what Poti did/was thinking? we go into overtime i'm convinced if poti doesn't take that penalty.

this one is a dagger

Posted by: MTB | March 8, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I still can't believe what I saw. We tossed that game into the hands of the referees and they sure as hell felt the need to call a very one-sided game in the 3rd.

I feel bad for Brash... He clearly knows what was at stake today and as much as we need his grit and forecheck the rest of the stretch, he needs to sit for a game.

As does Erskine.

I put up for "Big John" a lot. I think he's a very underrated member of our D, but there is NO excuse for taking a penalty like that at such a crucial moment in the game. And NEVER an excuse for doing so in the neutral zone. Unforgivable. Moreso than Brash's additional roughing.

The lack of call on the hook after Poti's slash, the lack of call on Chara's stick, and lack of call on the trip of Ovie is unforgiveable and should be dealt with by the league. Happy St. Pattys day, Beantown.

Not sure if anyone noticed, refs gave Backs a 2 minute charge and Chara a 2 min xcheck after the game.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 8, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Horrible calls on Cooke and Erskine, non-call on Chara.

For all the intagibles he brings, Brash (and Poti, I suppose) should know better, especially in that situation and at that point in the game. He obviously felt bad.

But at the same time, Caps should have buried their chances.

That's hockey, team inexperience.

Tomorrow the puck drops again.

GO CAPS.

Posted by: Sem-antics | March 8, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"its amazing how much the outcome of a sporting event can affect your mood..."

Yep. It's just a game but I'm still frustrated as hell.

Posted by: Joe | March 8, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

You know I seriously thought that the Buffalo Sabres had the worst announcers in the NHL. However, I have to think that Jack Edwards with NESN and the Bruins is the biggest piece of !@#$ I've ever heard on television. Even if the idiot knew what he was talking about he would still suck. When he was with ESPN and attempted to announce the 2002 World Cup I had to put the TV on mute because he couldn't believe that the United States was beating Portugal. Then today to hear him call Backstrom a cheapshot artist along with trying to play referee from the press box made me wish that it was Edwards that Brashear punched and not Hnidy. Edwards does a good job hiding behind his microphone, but I'd like to see him lace up the skates and play with the big boys for 5 minutes. Better yet, tie his retarded @$$ to the goal and let Ovechkin blister slapshots at him!!!!

Posted by: Mitch | March 8, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I've heard that Clarkie might play tomorrow. Any of you hear anything?

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the replays and noticed that on the first Boston goal, Liang was playing without a stick. Someone else may have mentioned it. If our announcers did, I missed it.

We spent a lot of time this year complaining about our defense. I looked at Boston and I know they got some guys hurt, but with the exception of Chara and possibly Wideman, did anyone see anyone on D from Boston that they would want in DC. I sure didn't.

This is another team that Washington will be ten points in front of next year.

Posted by: Old Bob | March 8, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Well the one thing I know is that I'm definitely going to the next game against the Bruins at VC. Should be nasty.

Posted by: Jordan | March 8, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

&?%* the Bruins and the PAtriots and Celtics all of their stupid team in this stupid city

We will make playoff IF Semin starts scoring

Posted by: Patrick | March 8, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I am so pissed!!!

Posted by: Brad | March 8, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Stupid, stupid Brash!! Arrgggggg

Posted by: Brad | March 8, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Brash should know better..Cant afford to give anything away at this point.

Uggghhhhh!

Posted by: SA_Town | March 8, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Old Bob:
I noticed that someone was missing a stick, too (but did not realize that it was Laing). So it was more like 5 on 2 1/2 ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

This lost has just made tomorrow night's game 20X more important.

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why people expect Edwards to be objective when he's a Boston announcer. I think he's actually pretty good, but it's his job to be pro-Boston during Bruins telecasts on NESN. Andy Brickley does a good job to balance him out with more objective analysis. I'm sure that if the game was on national TV like NBC or Versus Edwards would have announced it from a different perspective. All announcers for all the teams are homers when the telecast is on their local channel.

Posted by: ranndino | March 8, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the Bradley-Lucic bout on YouTube. I give Brads all the credit in the world for answering the bell (and taking off his helmet before the fight, no less) to Lucic who has at least 3 inches and 40 lbs. on him. If Lucic had any guts, he would have fought Brash, but at least Brash made a meat pie out of Thornton's face just a few seconds later.

Posted by: Brads | March 8, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but wonder what happened to the Caps in the 2nd period. They did a great job of killing the the Cooke penalty (borderline major) during which Chara goes to the locker room for the rest of the period. At no time after the penalty kill did the Caps succeed in pressing the Bruins defense in their zone. And that continued into the third.

They had their opportunities to take advantage of the Bruins before the mess at the end of the third and they failed. Hopefully the Caps will learn from today's debacle.

Posted by: Clarendon | March 8, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Brads:
I thought Lucic looked a lot bigger, too, but according to nhl.com, he's only an inch taller and (if memory serves) 10 pounds heavier ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

They applied the rulebook for the major but not for Chara's handling the puck with a broken stick. Refs should be more consistent.
I watch a few games other than the Caps and I notice their judgment is clouded by the circumstances... if a team is pushing but getting nowhere, they tend to favor it to even things out for example (it even happened for the Caps a couple of times). Which is total BS. Make the right calls, don't try to guide a game.

On the positive side:
1) Finally Bruce yelling at the Refs!
2) I thought the Caps played one hell of a game against a desperate team. W/o that penalty there was no way the Bruins could have tied.

On the negative:
1) We should have closed the game when Chara was out.
2) Two huge point loss
3) Momentum lost? We'll see tomorrow.

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually I feel bad for Brash - guy's a vet and you know being alone with his thoughts is all the punishment he needs right now. That said, if a two-goal lead is the most dangerous in hockey, why were the Caps just sitting on one? Hope they come ready tomorrow!

Posted by: honed | March 8, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

@ sombrero guy: supposedly watching your team lose makes your hormones tank. True story, I heard it on NPR.

Posted by: honed | March 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

What's your perspective on the game? What was the locker room like after the game? Give us some perspective!

I have a rare picture of Refs Chris Rooney and Rob Martell. Check it out.

Posted by: DC ONE TIMER | March 8, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"Look at Matt Cooke's penalty. That guy (Allen) didn't miss a shift," Boudreau said. "He got carried off like he was going to get his knee amputated and then after the five-minute penalty, he was back on there."

Sem-antics couldn't have said it any better.

Posted by: Sem-antics | March 8, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@honed
There must be some truth to that, even though it's just a game I'm pretty pissed off.

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

@ mauree: i know. sometimes being a fan makes me feel like a masochist.

Posted by: honed | March 8, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL shut up Bruce, your goon lost you the game today PERIOD/DOT!

Thanks for the Help! Its frustrating when OV isn't on the ice FOREVER isn't it.

Posted by: caphcky | March 8, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

This lose is on the coach. In such a close game he should not be given closing minutes to players whose major contributions to the game is fighting.
BB probably has learned from this event, watch him who he plays next time under similar circumstances.

Posted by: Goalieman | March 8, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

NHL RULE 45
A player without a stick may participate in the game. A player whose stick is broken may participate in the game provided he drops the broken stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this Rule.

please explain why Chara didn't get a penalty for playing the puck w/ his skate while holding a broken stick.

oh well, brash should know better and even with all the penalties it was still a one goal game. boston should not feel proud of their effort.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | March 8, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Complete screw job. Those refs appeared to be on the take, NBA style.

Posted by: Joe | March 8, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey Caphcky where were you Monday night?

Posted by: Rob | March 8, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I think it is funny that some people think the call on Poti was BS.... the only BS part was that the ref standing 2 feet from him wasn't the one to make the call. The reason they didn't call the hold was because the ref outside the blue line was watching Poti chop the Boston players stick in half. I still say if the ref is going to make that call on Erskine then he needs to call a dive as well... a little tug on the hands is a long way from the feet!

Posted by: Mike | March 8, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

The refs were horrible, on both Caps and Bruins part.

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with those who are putting this game on BB. We were already down one player (Cooke's game misconduct) and we looked like we were starting to skate in quicksand. We needed every player on the ice and there were still 6 minutes left. That was Brash's last shift likely. And he completely screwed us right in the rear. He deserves to live with his thoughts AND be benched tomorrow. The only time I've been more furious this year is when Olie let Toronto beat us last Saturday.

Still, this loss was a total dagger. If carolina wins tonight then the division is gone as an option. The worst part is we were on our way to a relatively easy shutout (Huet's second in three games with the Caps) and a perfect road win in a hostile environment. This is a sign that the team is still a year away. Playoff teams don't melt down like that (Brash, Erskine, Poti).

FURIOUS. Going to the game tomorrow furious too.

Posted by: MTB | March 8, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Boston fans know what happened today...Sometimes you stick your head in the toilet and come out with 2 pts...

Posted by: Boston Sucks | March 8, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans and Ovie deserve the playoffs NOW!!

Posted by: MTB | March 8, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Hi Caphcky. You related to that Boston native Chris Rooney?

Posted by: Novaron | March 8, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Hi sticks happen. The dumb penalty is the extra two minutes for the punch.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Brashear should not have been on the ice with 6 minutes to go with a lead.
I just stated that fact while watching the game(2nd guessing the coaching), when the Donald high sticked the guy.
The bench must be shortened this time of the year with so much at stake and so little time left in the game.
I have never seen a good NHL coach do the things this guy does with his player's.
Don't blame Brashear, he was just being his self.

Posted by: Oldfan | March 8, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Not enough that Poti bumps You-Eh and causes the first goal. He then can't fight an irresistable urge to slash someone and give the Bears their second straight 5 on 3. What an idiot! Poti should watch the next 10 games from the press box. Brash should watch from home!

Posted by: Bob | March 8, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

To think, these are Caps so called "veterans" on the team. Not really being good role models for the young guys.

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

That was a horrible loss because it looked like a sure win. But it's almost impossible to handle two 5 on 3. I wanted to go out and hit someone. :) I did go out, but luckily nobody got hurt. :)

I know Brash's penalty was undisciplined, but I am 100% behind him. I only wish he could've knock out Hnidy for good. The guy was hunting for Ovechkin, he really did. People like Hnidy should be beat up every freaking time they try to hurt someone.

BTW, Hnidy is a slavic last name meaning ROTTEN. The guy who was driving Konstantinov's limo the night he was injured was Hnida.

Brashear is all about the team, too bad he didn't send Hnidy to coma.

Long live Brashear!

I want him to be around as long as Ovechkin.

Posted by: Yo | March 8, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

The penalty to Poti was made up, but I agree he should've been cautious to do the plays like that when your team is already down to one player.

F@#$ the refs! Go Caps!

The hardest game is tomorrow.

Posted by: Yo | March 8, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I need a large adult beverage after that. There is only good thing I can say about the third period:

As sucker punches go, Brashear's was a thing of beauty.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 8, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who the punk is who keeps posting as me, but you are a pathetic excuse for a man. For those who're interested ( And, obviously there're quite a few, judging from your reactions to this bogus imposter ) this is my 1st post in the last three, or four days..
It is because of exactly this type of juvenile behavior that I've chosen to ignore this blog for the most part. As I've said before, there're entirely too many immature, A - holes posting foolish gibberish, to suit my fancy.
So, I've decided to make this MY ABSOLUTE LAST POST. But, have no fear. Many of you will have the privilege of seeing me in person; either at one of the few remaining home games, or most definitely at Kettler this coming fall. Trust me. It will be very easy to identify me. To begin with, I'll be sporting my Caps sweater with "Puckguru" on the back. In addition, I'm 6 ft. 4 1/2 inches tall, have some grey in my beard and head hair, AND I'M GOOD & BLACK! THERE!! Try imitating THAT!
Hope to see some of you soon. Now, whomever the sorry, fake - ass imitators are, have your fun. Puckguru is often imitated, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!! And, that's a BLACK FACT!! (smile) Peace....

Posted by: Puckguru | March 8, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I have been playing hockey all my life and i can tell you one thing for sure, had i been in Brashear's place you better believe i would have punched Hnidy at least as hard if not harder. Hindy was trying to start a fight with Brash and good old Donald obliged. Any player in that situation would have done the same thing, but Brashear just does it better....in this case too well. Personally i wasn't really phased by either the high stick or the punch, high sticks happen and you can bet he wasn't trying to do it on purpose and if someone gets in your face like Hnidy did you put him in his place. The same goes for both the Erskin and Poti calls, i thought they were both pretty tame and am pretty surprised that refs would call that on a shorthanded team at that stage in the game but what ever. What pisses me the hell off is the fact that the refs DIDN'T nail Chara for an obvious call, and i can name at least five occasions where there were slashes much worse then Poti's that the refs also chose not to see. the refs need to call the same game both ways and these ones didn't I sincerely hope both are fined or told off or however you discipline a bad ref because refs like that really do wreck the game.

Posted by: DC FURY | March 8, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh! I forgot to add that I weigh 260 lbs. Basically, your prototypical "Tall, dark, and handsome" STUD. Eat your hearts out. I know this information will cause more than a few fitfull nights. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Posted by: Puckguru | March 8, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

All of you whinners who blame the more then poor start to the season and due to this missing the playoffs (Hanlon to Blame).

Rest assure the caps have let enough games / points slip during the past two weeks. Look at the home loss to leafs and today's give away with two 5-3 powerplays and last 6 + minutes of the game on the PK.

So while the bad start is a HUGE factor-let's not put it all on that!

And all of these Jonnie Come Latlies giving up on KOLZIG. One guy who stuck around while others could not wait to get out dogde during the fire sale.

SHAME on YOU!

Olie is the man! He may not be what he used to be but give the guy credit for being there!

Posted by: CRSCK32 | March 8, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I have seen many people on here give credit to Kolzig for sticking around and trying and it is honorable however that was then this is now and the team needs to move forward towards success.

Posted by: Chad | March 8, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Old Fan, I humbly disagree with you regarding Bruce. What he's done with this team is close to a miracle. He's the single biggest reason the team is this close. Frankly I can't believe ANY Caps fan would consciously blast BB for anything. He should be untouchable this season for the work he's done. Next year, we can perhaps critique a little closer...

Posted by: MTB | March 8, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

@ Chad, totally agree

Posted by: MTB | March 8, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

DC FURY ***** Please do not use the refs as an excuse. Last time I checked, the CAPS were within 7 minutes of beating the B's.

Yes, DB is the man but at that time of the game, you gotta check your emotions.

Punching the bruin? What did that do for the CAPS? Oh, yea a 2-1 loss! Bravado, is all well and good but with 7 minutes I would take the patience and two points.

As a long time caps fan (the orginal Save the Caps) I know that one can not count on some one else's help or for that much the refs. We have to help our selves.

I recall back in early 80's ryan walter(C)sitting on the ice eating from a bags of chips and waiting for results from a later game to see if the caps would get into the playoffs - It was last game of the season and things did not work out that day.

Hopefully a better ending this year!

GO CAPS

Posted by: CRSCK32 | March 8, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

@ CHAD SO RIGHT!! BB is excellent! It was only a matter of time with all of his players from Hershey up here that he would join them.

Just too deep of a hole!

Posted by: CRSCK32 | March 8, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Why are so many here are upset at the just the last six and a half minutes of the game. If the Caps had taken advantage of Chara gone from the game during the second (11+ minutes), they wouldn't have been where they were at the end of the third.

Great teams go for the kill when presented with the chance.

Posted by: Clarendon | March 8, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Claredon,

While I do agree that Caps should've took advantage of Chara not being in the game, we would have still won it, were it not for the refs going whistle happy against Caps. There were some iffy calls and non-calls.

I think some of you will find this very interesting:

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

sorry I, can't help myself:

after the Cooke penalty kill, the Caps never sustained any attack in the "o" zone, pressuring the 'D' deep. To beat the Bruins (and most teams), that's what has to happen.

The way the Caps played with the one goal lead was down right Hanlon-esque. Boudreau has to get that out of their heads.

If the Caps had played the way that they have shown they can, (forechecking, pressuring down low, 2nd and 3rd and 4th men in) the game wouldn't have come down to a freak show.

To the Bruins credit, the Caps seemed to rely on the long pass to spring a break-away and the Bs were looking for that and the Caps didn't adjust.

Posted by: Clarendon | March 8, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with the whole Hanlon-esque thing. To me it seems everytime Caps have a chance to gain some ground on a post season berth, they seem to always go back to their old ways. Example: They had a chance to gain some more ground on Carolina, if they had won that game against Toronto. But they didn't. Another example, this afternoon. They had a chance to leapfrog Buffalo in the standings, and yet they lose.

Posted by: elicea | March 8, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Ugh ...

Philly won (#8)

Carolina beat Buffalo in OT, so they both got points (yippee - #3 and #9)

FLA won - they are now tied with us

Banner day all the way around, huh?

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, as the dust settles, regardless of who's to blame, the harsh reality is that this is likely the game that finally puts the nail in the coffin regarding our playoff hopes.

The question becomes how much better can we be next year, which in my opinion is a make or break season for this team as currently composed (including potential call-ups) to make the playoffs. With Bruce Boudreau at the helm, Huet in goal, and Ovie being Ovie...I think that next year looks very very promising for our Washington Capitals. It's so extremely critical that we make a definitive next step next season.

Posted by: MTB | March 8, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks elicea, good points.

I hope the team sleeps better then the fitful night their fans are going to have in anticipation of tomorrow's game.

LET'S GOOO CAPITALS!

Posted by: Clarendon | March 8, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

...and by "next step" I mean division championship and top 4 in the conference in points.

Posted by: MTB | March 8, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Brashear knocking Hnidy down with one punch. It was too many penalty minutes but Hnidy got involved and brash snapped. The following two calls are what lost the game. Erskine's was BS and calling Poti out but not calling any Bruin out just made it look like the refs bad decision making gave the game away.

Cooke should NOT have been given a knee on knee penalty. That was total crap. Allen ducked out of a hit rather than taking it like a man and ended up lining his leg up with Cooke's. Cooke was just setting his shoulder for a hit. And if the refs DIDN:T think he did it on purpose, they could have called it roughing or something else and not the automatic match penalty. So, bad officiating all around hands the Bruins nothing but chance after chance.

Gabby has every right to be pissed.

Posted by: I luv Brashear | March 8, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

It will take a miracle for the Caps to make the playoffs now. The other teams are playing so well we need the Caps to get hot and someone to start choking. But this season has been a huge step forward for the franchise. This year's draft will be deep so the Caps will be able to draft another key piece this year. Plus, Alzner will probably make the team next year. I can still hold out hope for the playoffs but time is running short.

Posted by: Lowell | March 8, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

I've seen Bradley in person several times and he's not a big guy. Definitely a middleweight compared to the heavyweight Lucic, regardless of what NHL.com says. I think as we both agree, Bradley is a courageous guy to take Lucic up on his challenge at the start of the game.

Posted by: Brads | March 8, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Brads:
Oh, I agree with that; he seems pretty fearless, in general. I have seen him in person several times, too, and have never thought he was that big. Frankly, I am always surprised at how "little" ALL the guys look in person. I don't know if it is because their personal stats are, uh, "generous", or if it is just because they look smaller without pads/skates. Who knows ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 8, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I think it is funny that people want to defend Brash's actions. That is something I would expect to see from Sean Avery. I can understand wanting to fight him, but let him drop his gloves. Hindy did what any teammate would do when one of their players is cut on a high stick, he came to give Brash a little shove. He made no attempt to drop the gloves and even started to back away. Brash is a tough guy and should know better than to sucker punch a guy like that. If he doesn't take that extra 2 on the sucker punch then Poti's penalty maybe gives them a 5 second 5 on 3 and we go to overtime. the B's proved all game they can't score when we have at least 4 skaters on the ice

Posted by: Mike | March 8, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

BB is doing a great job getting the player's playing his system, but he is still putting the wrong player's on the ice when the game is on the line.
This has been going on since he got here, and it should be obvious to all that really know the game.
Blind loyalty to an otherwise good coach when he makes mistakes is not being objective.
I love the Caps, but you have to call them as you see them.

Posted by: Oldfan | March 8, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

its tough enough to win in this league, play 3 minutes down 2 men and 7 minutes of the 3rd period down at least 1 man and its virtually impossible.

I've played beer league for 7 years and had better officiating.

that said. the penguins tommorrow, we need 2 points BAD.

Posted by: pch49 | March 8, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Tarik
Tell Boudreau I DID look at both penalties (like he asked in his quote) and the penalty on Erskine was the ONLY borderline call all day on either team. The only reason the Erskine call was made was he put his stick to the hands of the player and it appeared to be a trip.
The Poti call was a BLATANT slash in front of the net. BB was upset but the frustration should be with HIS team late in the game. Thanks for the 2 points!

Posted by: caphcky | March 9, 2008 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Brash's high sticking: easy call
Brash's punch: stupid play; easy call
Erskine's "hook": phantom call
I won't beat that horse anymore. This game just ate at me all night because it looked like the Caps were going to finally put a stretch of games together, which they haven't done all year and then this happens. I'm more concerned with how it effects today's game - will they come out feeling sorry for themselves or put yesterday behind them and show the nation how good they can be? This could be the season right here. Lets Go Caps!

Posted by: Roose | March 9, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

While the division title or a playoff spot may not be looking good right now, it isn't totally over yet. Carolina has a 7 point lead on us, but if the Caps can beat them head to head the last 2 times we play and get some help, it could still happen. Unfortunately, they just don't want to lose right now, so the Caps can only take care of their own business.
13 games left - 10 - 3 record = 92 points
Might not be good enough?

Posted by: Roose | March 9, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

If the caps coming out with any more fire than I have right now, then I feel sorry for the Penguins. It's going to be a great game to watch at the V.C.

See y'all there.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Super | March 9, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

@caphcky

Thanks for the 10 goal cream puff you threw at us the other night.

Get used to a few years of looking up at the Caps. Your team is going nowhere.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 9, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

@| that was about the weakest sour grapes post that ever wasted a few dozen bytes! The Bs are a fine team that has a lot going for including a freaking giant so no shame in being a fan, but to say the Caps are a club that "...is going nowhere" shows you do not have even the most basic clue as to what is going on in the NHL. He probably thinks a Gordie Howe hat trick is where you where a baseball cap backwards!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | March 9, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

who's in goal today?

Posted by: mac | March 9, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

RISE AND SHINE!!!!

TIME FOR SOME HOCKEY!

Posted by: SA_Town | March 9, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Didn't post yesterday, was too angry at the CAPS and needed many replays to reflect on the game. Yes, some marginal calls at the end, but they should have closed the deal earlier! I hate when the REFS have a hand in the outcome of a tight game, and I agree with BB - it's a shame that everyone wasn't on top of their game, this was playoff hockey and at best - mid season reffing, wonder what we can muster up today????? I just don't get how come we must suffer so many years before it goes our way??? I know there are going to be a lot of tight games, but my nerves can't take much more of this, I'll be dead before I'm 40! I have faith for today that we will at least keep our composer!

Posted by: Greenie | March 9, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Those who say that they have no problem with what Brashear did obviously have no concept of discipline. Yes, we all would have liked to do what he did, but you have to use your brain! Getting 6 minutes of penalties in the offensive zone with about 6 minutes to go when your team is up 1-0 was inexcusable. Also, don't blame Boudreau. Brashear is a veteran and the coach can expect him to know better. Also, you could see that Brashear knew right away that he f'd up bigtime. He spent almost the whole 6 minutes in the box with his hands over his head. BTW, here's a confirmation from the coach himself:

"I admit Brash's penalties were dumb," Washington coach Bruce Boudreau said. "A guy that's been in the league that long should know that."

Also, interesting what he had to say about the call on Cooke.

"Look at Matt Cooke's penalty. That guy (Allen) didn't miss a shift," Boudreau said. "He got carried off like he was going to get his knee amputated and then after the five-minute penalty, he was back on there. It's anger right now, and you have to watch what you say. We're angry that we lost a game we thought we should have won."

Overall, today is a must win. Even if we do win it's not looking good. All the results went horribly wrong for us last night. Philly and Carolina won. What's worse is that Carolina won in OT so Buffalo also got a point.

Posted by: ranndino | March 9, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Poti sucks, he should sit today so that he does not cost us more goals

Posted by: Bob | March 9, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

With all the "leasson learned" this year, next season should be much better. If they don't forget them :D.

There's still some (very small hope), although I mostly gave up on the playoffs after all the losses with the SE division opponents and with Toronto, when we were on top. BB and the boys relaxed for a few games and here we are.

I thought the first period yesterday was one of the best period played by the Caps. Incredibly intense, yet they came out on top against a skilled and very desperate team.

There were some drama movies starred by Allen, Hnidy, spectators: the refs. Who didn't call Chara and eventually costed us the game. Yes, if the Caps floored it in the second and the third it might have been different... but the fact is, we had that game.

Coming from Italy, soccer was my passion. In the early '90, it was a beautiful sport to watch, and an exciting time in Italy. Slowly it got ruined, by the refs mostly. Bad calls, driven by ineptitude or corruption. Players were tough then. Now they put up shows to sell to the refs. Why? Because the calls drive the score as much, or even more, than the game played. Touch one player now, and he'll roll in the grass forever in apparent unbearable pain.
I don't like soccer anymore.

I don't want the same thing to happen to hockey. I have seen many NHL games with mistakes/inconsistencies by the refs this year more than in the past. There is a lot of effort trying to sell the game, but somebody is forgetting how to preserve the game itself. If the players learn that selling a good show can win a game, which was yesterday's lesson, what will become of this magnificent sport?

Posted by: mauree | March 9, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Boston.com:

"I was a little shocked to get a punch like that," Hnidy said. "But it's a game of emotions. We knew we had to control ours."

Hnidy had been an irritant the entire game. Approximately five minutes into the match, Hnidy flattened Washington superstar Alex Ovechkin with a shoulder-to-chest thump in open ice. After the hit, Hnidy was chased by defenseman John Erskine but didn't back down.

Early in the third period, Brashear, still seeking retribution for Hnidy's clock-cleaning of Ovechkin, jolted the defenseman several times in hopes of getting him to drop the gloves.
---
Boston captain Zdeno Chara, who missed a chunk of yesterday's 2-1 win over the Capitals with an undisclosed injury, was not aboard the team's charter flight to New York last night and, according to his agent, will not be in uniform this afternoon when the Bruins face the Rangers at Madison Square Garden.

"He's banged up, that's about all I can say about it," said agent Matt Keator, responding to Canadian media reports that suggested his star client could be sidelined for the remainder of the regular season. "He's definitely not finished for the season. He should be fine. I don't think he is going to miss much time at all."

Posted by: Anonymous | March 9, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know today's line-up vs. Pens? I guess Tarik has a day off.

Also, I was gonna say that the Bruins should send a nice gift basket to the refs for yesterday's game that would contain a pair of Bruins jerseys with their names on them.

Posted by: ranndino | March 9, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

@ Mauree

Sorry for the offtopic, but I'm also a soccer fan and couldn't pass this one up. Soccer was exciting to watch in the early 90's?! The 1990 WC in Italy was the most boring one in my lifetime with teams eking out results rather than playing (that's how the Argies got to the final). It actually got better for a while with some rules that opened up the game a bit, but is going backwards now with teams being way too conservative.

An Italian complaining about diving and simulation is absolutely hilarious to me. You guys are the masters of winning by using every dirty trick in the book. Other countries have followed suit by watching Italy win countless international tournaments that way. There's actually a hilarious WC ad on Youtube which makes fun of how Italians practice. Search for these terms: Italy, practice, diving.

Posted by: ranndino | March 9, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I don't understand your post. I don't like diving. Italy won last cup and you know what? I was ashamed by the way they played - and most of all by the drama at the end. Apparently you're accusing me of the same things I absolutely despise.

And by the way, if you use the world cup as the meter then you don't know soccer at all. The best soccer was then, and always is, played at the club level in Italy, Spain, France, Germany, England, Holland - and Europe in general. Don't come to me telling to "google" stuff up. If you don't know about A.C. Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Paris. St. Germain, Manchester, Inter, I can name so many teams here... don't even try to pass as a soccer expert. It's like somebody saying that the hockey, or basketball in US is played at a minor level than Finland or Europe, just because the world cup/olympics are not dominated by the USA.

The US NHL is the best hockey - and the Club Soccer in Europe is the best soccer.

Sorry about the off topic.

Posted by: mauree | March 9, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse