Tom Poti on eye injury: 'I was an idiot for not wearing' a visor

Tom Poti is shown right after a puck hit him in the face on April 26, causing extensive damage to his eye socket and temporarily blinding him in his right eye. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Less than three weeks after suffering a gruesome eye injury during Game 6 of the Capitals' short-lived playoff run, veteran defenseman Tom Poti says he's on the road to a full recovery.

Poti, who temporarily lost sight in his right eye after a wayward puck caused significant damage to the delicate surrounding bones, said doctors expect he'll be able to play next season without a problem. But he's still got a ways to go until then:

Slowing the process of Poti's recovery in recent days has been a pair of minor setbacks: first an allergic reaction to the eye drops he had been prescribed, then an infection to the tissue surrounding the eye. Poti, who suffers from severe food allergies and carries an EpiPen with him at all times, suspects his rare condition may have contributed to his eye swelling shut for four days.
The swelling and itching -- not to mention a two-inch gash that, as he said, has strangers wondering, 'What the hell happened to that guy?' -- has further complicated a hectic time in the veteran defenseman's life. His wife, Jessica, is 39 weeks pregnant with the couple's first child.
"Yeah, we kind of have a lot going on," he chuckled from his Cape Cod, Mass., home, which is in the final stages of extensive renovations.

Click here to read the rest.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 13, 2010; 5:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin scores again as Russia stays perfect
Next: Q&A: First Things First with Tracee Hamilton, 9:30 a.m.

Comments

His wife, Jessica, is 39 weeks pregnant with the couple's first child.

39 weeks??? I thought it shouldn't take longer than 36 weeks.

Posted by: instinct227 | May 13, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Isn't his wife a little overdue?

Posted by: capscoach | May 13, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

if you think of 9 mos as 4 weeks * 9 - then it would be 36

if you think of 9 mos as 3/4 of a year - then 3/4 of 52 weeks is 39 weeks

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 13, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

9 months = 39 weeks.

How bout, "...they lifted the eyeball out..."

That made a pretty gruesome picture, just as "blood was dripping into my stomach."

I guess that gives you a whole new visual experience while the eyeball (with optical nerves still attached but stretched out) is lifted out of the socket and being held in the doctor's palm.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

10 months pregnant? hmmmm... That's no good.

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 13, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

1 idiot less, 9 to go...

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 13, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of the old saying that nine women can't have a baby in one month.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:
but does getting 9 women pregnant in one month make for 81 months of h*ll?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 13, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think it's funny that the Caps website did not do graphic or splash page thanking the fans? I think they may be sending a message without sending a message.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | May 13, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:
but does getting 9 women pregnant in one month make for 81 months of h*ll?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 13, 2010 6:26 PM

Depends how you look at it. The h*ll of the pregnancy time would still only be 9-10 months. Then there's a lifetime of dealing with the results, all those college educations to deal with, the thing of having to buy 19 season tickets to the Caps (you, the nine women and the nine kids), having to buy and maintain a vehicle that holds 19, and, absolutely worst of all, when the NINE MOTHERS IN LAW ALL VISIT AT THE SAME TIME.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1:

Get your mind out of the gutter!

I kid...

Posted by: Rhino40 | May 13, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 6:40 PM

i knew you'd come through

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 13, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

When my wife was preggers, she said the doctor said you really deliver after your ninth month and the whole "9 months" thing is a misconception (pardon the inverse pun). :P

Posted by: LloydChristmas | May 13, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Another name to throw into the UFA fray is Matt Cooke.

How do people feel about him possibly becoming a Cap again? He is probably going to be paid too much to play as a 3rd line winger for the Caps so is probably not an option since the Caps need to throw their money at different needs (D, 2nd line center), but it would be interesting.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 4:53 PM |

I would LOVE to have Matt Cooke back, and I said that not too long ago under a previous entry here.

If grit is what the Caps need, there's a lot of grit there. He was also +17 this year which was second-best on the Penguins team. I think his deal with the Penguins was $1.2 million, and despite having a good year, he also proved he's got discipline issues, which I would guess lowers demand for him somewhat. I don't think he's gonna be that expensive. I would love to see Cooke in a Capitals uniform again.

I guess he's listed at LW, so I dunno if the Caps need a LW so much. I'd definitely rather have him than Fleischmann at this point. Fleischmann, to me, seems to be the kind of player that offers the Caps diminishing returns. Almost every other team in the league needs the kind of player Fleischmann is more than the Caps do. Let the Wings have him back.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 13, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Some of the calendar-challenged need to realize there are 52 weeks in a year and thus 13 weeks per quarter. That means 9 months=3 quarters=39 weeks.

Posted by: capsfan77 | May 13, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@youaresquishy

Flash is almost definitely gone. Like you said, he has a lot more value to basically every other team than he does to the Caps. The Caps should take advantage of this and trade him for equal value (in other teams rankings) which would be increased value in terms of Caps rankings.

Then Cooke and Chimera could be the 3rd and 4th line wingers. I do like the idea of Chimera/Belanger/Fehr as the 3rd line and Cooke/Gordon(or Steckel)/Bradley(or A. Gordon or Pinzotto).

You could also switch Cooke with Chimera.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Cracked up about all the baby posts.

The example of the 9 women to have a baby in 9 months is so often quoted in the IT industry when making estimates on cost and time. Cited in the book "The Mythical Man Month", among others.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 13, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I guess we should all hear some news on baby Poti being born soon. Had no idea is wife was pregnant (and about to deliver) until now.

It's been a fertile month at my office, as of late. The wife of one of my co-workers delivered in April -- a month early. And then we got two more babies due among my co-workers: one woman who's about to deliver this month and a young man who's wife is due next week.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 13, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

The real baby boom should hit around November...nine months after the February blizzard. :)

Posted by: tess2201 | May 13, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Malkin is joing team Russia. Does anyone here have any thoughts on that after blasting Ovechkin and Semin for going?

Obviously that tournament is much more important to people in Russia than it is here in North America. The level in importance is different, not wrong.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

if you win a Conn Smythe like Malkin did last year, you will get a longer leash from the fans. Both he and Crosby stunk almost as much as Semin did against the Habs and if they didn't have the recent playoff success, they would be blasted just as much and deservedly so.

they can do whatever they wanna do in the off-season but if you make the kinda money Ovi and Semin make, you shouldn't be surprised when everything you do is put under a microscope after your team exits from the playoffs way too prematurely.

Posted by: joek443 | May 13, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

@ joek443

I guess you don't visit many Pens sites. They are calling for Malkin, Fleury, and Gonchar's heads. How quickly they forget.

Posted by: ablake70 | May 13, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see all the fertility discussions but a full term pregnancy is 40 weeks. So she's got a week until her due date.

Anyone see the stories about Montreal last night? Our "civilized" friends to the north rioted and looted after the game last night. I wonder what would have happened if the Habs had lost?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | May 13, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

how about Joe Pavelski as the second line center?

I see that he's an arbitration eligible RFA once the season is over.

@ ablake70

Fleury was terrible, you knew they weren't gonna win after he let in that first goal last night. but they did win the two game 7s before last night's and he was great in both of them last year so I'm sure the Pens fans will get over it in a couple days.

Posted by: joek443 | May 13, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

guess cleveland 'choked' too.
They pay both teams to play I guess that's what the rules say.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 13, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Pavelski would be perfect, but I don't think there is any way he gets out of San Jose.

They will match basically any offer for him barring it being a Scott Gomez sized contract.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201

I hear you -- on the real baby boom. Even if my office is probably babied out for this year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 13, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

On Malkin, Fleury, and Gonchar.

I assume the Pens will allow Gonchar to walk as a Free Agent.

There has actually been talk on the internet of trading Malkin for wingers. It would clear cap space for the Pens and Jordan Staal can move up to 2nd line center.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 13, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

So nice to watch James come up so shorter than Micheal J. Fox over the past few games. On top if that we have the mega meltdown by Crosby in the Habs series. Let's face it, Ovechkin played head and shoulders in his series this year better than James and Crosby. Right now James is being villified by the media and we are talking biggest failure since the US withdrew from Vietnam. With Crosby, we are talking from a Canadian perspective the biggest letdown since someone in Ottawa in 1896 forgot to clean the Queen's laundry. HUGE.

But the real question - how will Wilbon deal with this? Mike, you're two heroes failed more than the levies in the 9th Ward when Katrina rolled in. Can you explain this?

Wilbon seems, at this moment, considering his ramblings over the past few weeks, a bigger idiot than anyone who reads or writes at the Post could have imagined he might have been.

James will be speaking momentarily. Perhaps Wilbon will be behind him with puppet strings forcing out the words. But maybe Wilbon is holed up in his basement trying to figure out damage control.

Call me, Mike, 407-375-8392, and we can discuss (I am your customer, after all, and I am due "customer service") how idiotic your prognostications have turned out.

I am a cost estimator. If I did such a BAD JOB as Wilbon estimating the future, the Corporation would go out of business. He gets paid though like a rock star to spout idiocy.

Please tell me why before I die why idiots get paid to spout stupidity?

signed,

tom now in CA

Posted by: tominsocal1 | May 13, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more tominsocal1!

Where is Wilbon's article detailing Crosby's epic failure against the Habs? Seems like he choked just like Ovie, only if you compare their stats, Ovie was "light years" better than Crosby.

Come on Mike, come eat your crow!

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | May 14, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1: Welcome back to the fold. Excellent post.

Is it September yet?

I am hoping that Boston wins their game 7 tonight. Less because I despise Philthy (which in fact I do) than because Boston advancing sets up the latest chapter in what has been one of the oldest and most bitter rivalries in the history of the NHL.

Think the Caps and Pens hate each other? Sure they do, but check the history: To say that there is bad blood between these "Original Six" teams is an understatement of cosmic proportions.

And make no mistake, there will be blood whenever these two clubs meet.

As for who I am rooting for should this matchup come to pass, I have already disclosed my conflicted feelings in a previous post. So my looking forward to such a matchup is somewhat akin to "Let's put a couple of hungry alpha male grizzly bears in a cage and see what happens."

Disclaimer: I do not participate in--nor do I endorse or condone--any form of overt cruelty to animals. Eating meat and wearing leather do not count.

Posted by: Rhino40 | May 14, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

You're back. Woopee. I've missed your timely and acerbic musings.

The most recent dark days of being a Caps fan have been briefly tinged with satisfaction at the epic failure of their arch-rival the Crosby/Pens, who are still reeling from their utter failure in their game 7.

Now I can be a Sharks fan--though without much passion--and root for the Habs to fail (I haven't decided which team I want for the Eastern Conference because there is no box for "none of the above.")

As for Wise and Wilbon and to a lessor extent Hamilton, I don't bother reading them anymore.

Wilbon lost me after he wrote his factually incorrect piece (indeed factually lifted from a THN incorrect one) on Ovi and the camera incident, followed by his genuflection at the alter of Crosby with his Ovi vs. Sid "who is best" article.

Wise lost me with his unprofessional rant right after game 7 in which he accused (but didn't substantiate) the Caps players of partying and said that's why they lost. Even though he later apologize to the Caps management for his unfounded accusations, I found his unprofessional behavior unforgivable.

Now Dan Steinberg's Bog I have been reading. At least he's honest and checks his facts and shows respect for hockey and the Capitals fanbase. I don't need contempt from my local paper's sports columnists. I'm still grumpy at the Caps ouster.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | May 14, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

And I'm glad that Poti will be wearing a visor in the future. Hopefully Brooksie will too.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | May 14, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be a long summer!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | May 14, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it, an apology of any sorts is not forthcoming from Wilbon. Why ya'll take him seriously, I have no idea. Perhaps he'll remove his lips from LBJ's buttocks long enough to take in a Capitals game.

Doubt it.