Posted at 2:18 PM ET, 02/10/2011

Capitals embrace a tough practice

By Katie Carrera

Given the pace of their schedule the rest of the regular season, the Capitals likely won't have too many stretches of substantial practices like the two days before they face Los Angeles on Saturday, remaining.

Washington took advantage of the chance Thursday morning, though, when they practiced for nearly an hour and a half, capped off by a three-pronged bag skate (up and back the length of the ice, the width of the ice and then a short final session between the blue lines). Although it was an intense practice, it gave the players a chance to loosen up a bit and forget about Tuesday's 2-0 loss to San Jose.

"It is very important, we just want to have fun," Karl Alzner said of the tough but light-hearted practice. "One thing we've noticed is that we seem to get really down when we lose a game, I think because we expect so much out of ourselves that coming to the rink the next day -- it's like we're hating life. It's been one game that we've lost and that happens, so I think it's good to get on the ice and forget about it and get back to playing and enjoying the company."

The Capitals were able to rejuvenate and focus the last time they had two practice days in a row, before the Tampa Bay game on Feb. 4, and the players hope that they can begin to build positive momentum during these days that will carry into the contest with the Kings and the upcoming road trip.

"It was a good practice and that's what we need," Matt Bradley said. "We talked about how last week we had a couple of good practices that carried on into the games so the same goes for this week. We're just going to have to bear down, I think we're working on scoring in practice definitely trying to really bury our shots and working hard down low. Hopefully we can get that going in the game on Saturday."

--Along with the update on Mike Green from earlier, Coach Bruce Boudreau said that both Tom Poti (groin) and Eric Fehr (shoulder) are a week to two weeks away from returning. Boudreau added that it could be as little as four or five days but stretch further into a two-week span for both players.

Fehr skated on his own after the group while Poti hit the ice with the rest of his teammates but left about 15-20 minutes into the session.

"I just talked to him," Boudreau said of Poti. "He's getting better but he didn't want to take part in the physical part. We were doing two-on-twos and stuff like that and that was his cue to get off."

--Even two weeks before the NHL's trade deadline, some deals are starting to play out. Yesterday, it was Anaheim acquiring Francois Beauchemin from Toronto for Joffrey Lupul and a conditional pick and the Blackhawks picking up Michael Frolik from Florida.

And the latest move is Nashville snagging center Mike Fisher from the Ottawa Senators, who have all but declared they will be rebuilding, for a first round draft pick and a conditional second or third rounder for 2012.

By Katie Carrera  | February 10, 2011; 2:18 PM ET
Categories:  Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green still must undergo testing, but says he 'should be good to go'
Next: What makes David Steckel so good at faceoffs?

Comments

Would have taken Fisher. Not interested in drafts this year, interested in the Cup. Gotta give to get. Too much conservative dealing. If nashville can do it, so can we. Make it happen, McPhee, complete the puzzle.

Posted by: oo7 | February 10, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I would have traded the following for fisher...

Fehr
Gordon
Steckel
Poti
Semin
Perrault
A Gordon
Beagle

I would have given 3 picks...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

oops..

No, not all of them...any mix of them...

sorry...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Now we can pluck Spezza for :

Fehr
Perrault
2nd rounder

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Given what Nashville gave up, I just don't know... it's a 1st and either a 2nd or 3rd as the conditional pick...

and Mike Fisher at 4.2 for 2 more years would be nice but I'm thinking that for his hot wife he probably requested Nashville... so I don't think we could have had a chance unless we gave a lot more!

go here for the latest trades:

Posted by: FrankM73 | February 10, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

@ThePat

My apologies, I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were implying you had heard that there was a chance the scenarios you mentioned would happen and that your gut told you they would. I didnt realize you meant all of it was coming from the gut. ;)

I cannot remember the exacts of poker's post...but it gave 3 different possibilities, we with a 40% chance of 1-2 of them happening.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 10, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

My frustration was summed up adequately by ten Swedish tourists sitting behind me during the Sharks game. Broken english aside, when they said "Caps Sucks", I knew exactly what they meant.

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 10, 2011 2:32 PM

Hilarious... can't blame em for callin it like they see it.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Mmmm yes, let's see. Team X - you take all the Caps' garbage and give the Caps your best players.

Does anyone here who is bashing McPhee for not getting Fisher actually have his phone records to see who he called and what he offered?

Ottawa apparently (judging by the return) didn't want salary, so why would they take Caps' players off the roster? Nashville's picks are going to be better than the Caps' most likely.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 10, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Spezza is a very good player and woul be great for the 2nd line of the Caps.

However, he makes $7M/yr for the 4 years after this year. He will be 28 when next year starts. He isn't worth more than Backstrom, especially for the next 4 years. That is too much money for too long of a period of time for him.

Need to go with another option.

I still think a deal for Weiss may make the most sense. However, that may be tougher to do because it is an intradivisional trade.

Even though he wouldn't be one of my top choices of players likely available, for some reason I think the Caps will end up with Tim Connolly. Just a feeling, based on nothing substantive.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 10, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

That seems to be true even when he's healthy and playing, aside from the occasional half-hearted cross-check accompanied by a much less than intimidating staredown.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Besides a 2C, does anybody think we need anything else? Not that a 2C will be easy to obtain but I think keeping our D and goaltending the same (with Poti as the 7d & hopefully never used), we can be a LEGIT cup contender with the following offensive lines:

Ovi-Backstrom-Fehr
Laich-(Acquired center)-Semin
Chimmy-MJ90-Hendricks
Brads-Stecks-Knuble/Gordon/DJK

I think we can get also use Knuble on the 3rd line but jesus, we need to stop giving that old man so much time on ice. MP85 should be back in Hershey, or better yet traded, because he doesn't have a place on this team.

Any comments or disagreements on this??

Posted by: TimeForACup | February 10, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Ovi-Backstrom-Fehr
Laich-(Acquired center)-Semin
Chimmy-MJ90-Hendricks
Brads-Stecks-Knuble/Gordon/DJK

Any comments or disagreements on this??

Posted by: TimeForACup

I think when rosters are allowed to expand at the end of the season(or is it just the playoffs) that Beagle will be on the team and on one of the 3rd or 4th lines.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 10, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Now we can pluck Spezza for :

Fehr
Perrault
2nd rounder

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

We don't have a 2nd rounder this year we traded it for Corvo, I think that is part of why Nashville got him it was a 1st plus a pick that bacomes a 2nd if they win a round. We don't have a 2nd to give and moving it to next year takes down its value big time.

I do think it is funny the headline on www.tennessean.com the headline on the trade was "Predatirs acquire Carrie Underwood's husband."

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 10, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Nashville made the deal bc they have multiple 2nd round picks this year. I think 3: their own, one from Arnott trade, and one for Hamhuis rights. So they can easily get into the first round at the draft if they wanted to.

First round picks will be dealt this year because the draft supposedly isnt very strong. Difference between 1st-3rd round players is not very big from what I have heard.

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"we can be a LEGIT cup contender with the following offensive lines...
Brads-Stecks-Knuble/Gordon/DJK

Any comments or disagreements on this??" - TimeForACup

I disagree, I dont think the NHL will allow a offensive line with 5 people on it ;)

waka waka waka

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 10, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

So who sits if Beagle comes up, assuming everybody is healthy? Gordon & DJK probably, but then you have to choose between Knuble, Hendricks, and Brads. I like Beagle as a 4th liner but I cannot see BB sitting any of those 3 guys (and he probably shouldn't).

Posted by: TimeForACup | February 10, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat & SAOTI

What I basically said was that yes (Pat) I agree that a move won't be made til after the road trip or not even til the day OF the deadline. The 30-40% thing was referring to us acquiring a top 6 forward. The majority of what I'm hearing is tweaks altho there some "discussions" over a few top 6 forwards that's why I said 30-40%.

I would look to the western conf for the top 6 forward. What I mean by that is, if it's just tweaks they come from everywhere but if we get a top 6 guy most likely will be from the west.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 10, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

better?

"we can be a LEGIT cup contender with the following offensive lines...
Brads-Stecks-Knuble

Gordon/DJK: healthy scratches"

Posted by: TimeForACup | February 10, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimeForACup

I'm not sure if BB would do it, but I would play Beagle over Bradley (I think Hendricks has pretty much taken over that role) and possibly Chimera.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 10, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I think that's a fair argument about Spezza's contract but I don't mind his age a bit.

Take a look at the cap hits of the forwards, d-men and goalie Pittsburgh has on long-term contracts (a few years or longer):

Crosby - 8.7
Malkin - 8.7
Staal - 4
Martin - 5
Michalek - 4
Orpik - 3.75
Letang - 3.5
Fleury - 5
-----------
Total: 42.65 (8 players)

Hypothetically, let's say the Caps snag Spezza or someone with a similar contract and move Semin.

Our Top 9 long-term commitments of significant contracts would be the following with some hopefully reasonable assumptions for future contracts for core players:

Ovechkin - 9.538
Backstrom - 6.75
Spezza - 7
Green - 6 (cap hit on next contract)
Carlson - 3.5
Alzner - 3.5
Poti - 3.5 (would love to get rid of this but unlikely)
Schultz - 2.75 (same as Poti)
Varlamov or Neuvirth - 3.5 (assuming we make a decision to keep one in the near future)
--------------
Total: 46.04 (9 players)

If we can move one of Poti or Schultz, our 8 long-term players would cost very similar to that of Pitt.

Not saying Pitt is an ideal model. They are very top heavy and may eventually decide to move Malkin and/or some other players.

Still, I think we could deal with another expensive center once we cut ties with Semin.

I usually avoid cap related discussions cuz that ain't my cup of tea so feel free to tear apart my mistakes. I just don't think it's beyond reason to add an expensive proven center, assuming we get rid of Semin and the center in question is worth it (not necessarily Spezza).

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Im sure this has been beaten to death already but I just heard about it so :)

the Fisher deal is exactly what the Preds needed. They're a team who is strong on the backline but weak upfront. Fisher gives them exactly what they lack upfront.

For the Caps not to be able to outdo that deal tells me

1) McPhee doesn't value Fisher that much
2) McPhee doesn't get what his team really lacks.

The Preds didnt' give up the house for Fisher. The Caps should have been able to sweeten that deal and steal him away. Assuming that Ott would trade him to us that is.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

Ok, i missed that yesterday. But yeah I agree with that.

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

how refreshing would it be if GMGM would make a statement, any statement, as clear and logical as this:

Said Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile in a release:

"We were seeking a top-six forward and Mike Fisher was the player we set our sights on," Poile said. "He plays playoff-style hockey all season long. He plays on the power play, kills penalties, is strong on draws and can match up against any opposing line."

"Mike's playoff experience will be invaluable to our team and he immediately makes our team stronger and deeper," Poile said.

Posted by: doughless | February 10, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
I guess I would be more "easygoing" about this had it been said by anybody other than Poile. Here are my thoughts tho:

1. GMGM makes statements JUST like that. Every GM does.
2. Playoff experience? What has Fischer won? There are a lot of players out there with just as much playoff experience
3. He will make their team better and he would've made our team better

My disagreement is more over Poile than Fisher. I really like him as a player and has gotten a bit of a raw deal from the fans there. The guy is an exceptional person and has done quite a bit in the community in Ottawa.

David Poile alone has made me hate the word "potential" so I can't believe a word that ever comes out of his mouth.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 10, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

We still couldn't justify paying our 2C Spezza more money than Nicky. Plus, Semin can be our most talented player when he chooses to be.

Posted by: TimeForACup | February 10, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin

This won't last.

Chimera-Perreault-Laich

Looks like another disastrous 2nd line.

Hendricks-Johansson-Knuble

Taking Beags off that line makes it weaker. Knuble can't get into the corners the way Beagle can.

Gordon-Steckel-Bradley

Very avg "4th" line. But at least Steckel isn't on the wing.

When Fehr gets back I wonder who sits.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

GMGM knows what the team needs. He didnt value Fisher at all from what I gathered. I dont believe he has spoken to Ottawa about any of their players.

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Someone made a good point on Fisher not being worth a #1 pick in the 20s.

Since 2004 we have picked Green, Schultz, Finley (oops), Varly, Carlson, Johansson and Kuznetzov in that range of selections.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 10, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao

I don't think it is beyond reason either to pay a good amount for a center. I just think Spezza's situation itself would not be a good fit because two years from now he is 30 and making $7M/yr and he really hasn't played like a $7M/yr player lately and his career is likely on the downslope now(likely, not 100%).

If Spezza's contract was only for 1 or even 2 more years, then I think it would be worth considering. 4 more years is too much, IMO.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 10, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

What do you think that McPhee thinks the team needs?

more finesse?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

You'd have something like this framework 2 years or so from now:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-
?-Spezza-Kuznetsov
Eakin-Johansson-?
?-?-?

?-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Schmutz-?

Varlamov or Neuvirth
?

I'm just speculating on how we would use Kuznetsov or Eakin. I don't even know which wing Eakin prefers to play if he's not at center. Maybe he could be used on the 4th line. Not sure. Not sure if Kuznetsov is cool with playing wing either.

Anyway, with that kind of foundation, it would be up to McPhee (or hopefully a better GM by then) to fill in the missing pieces with the right combination of grit, experience, etc...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat; @pokerface1208

It seems like GMGM much rather prefers to deal with teams from the Western Conference and focuses his dealings with those teams. Especially when trading away players currently on the Caps roster.

Would that be fair? If so, should our focus be on players in the West.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 10, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Someone made a good point on Fisher not being worth a #1 pick in the 20s.

Posted by: tominsocal1

How is Fisher not comparable to any or all of those players? He plays the game like Keith Primeau did. Straight-ahead, super strong on his skates, great defensive center, plays the PK and the PP, hits as hard as hell, total team player and overt visible leader on the ice, not afraid to play hostile road hockey. The guy is the real deal. The only iffy part of his game is how much pure skill does he have. But in the playoffs, that balance teeters towards the guys who can play an effective straight-ahead cut thru style. Not the guys who like to go around obstacles, but thru them.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

he knows the team needs a 2C with size, but he might have to go get a wing with size instead. And end up moving Laich to C.

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

And we all wonder why the Captain is not having a not-so good season.

Go Bradley!!!

Posted by: instinct227 | February 10, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Would that be fair? If so, should our focus be on players in the West.

Posted by: sgm3 |

if his focus is only in the West, he's cutting his own d!ck off by reducing his available talent pool to draw from.

And the west has too many teams vying for playoff spots to simply be "sellers"

All that being said, the odds are overwhelmingly against McPhee grabbing any player that the fans seem to want or end up discussing. He either does nothing or he makes extremely lame trades. We're going to end up discussing the same 3 or 4 players now - Regehr, Umberger, blah blah.

McPhee's just a bonehead. He's so deliberate in his movements that we'd do better with a slug as our GM.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@TimeForACup

=) was just busting your huevos.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 10, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

he knows the team needs a 2C with size,
-----------

Arnott has size. I'd rather get a player who is 100% dedicated and willing to USE his size. Arnott isn't that player. He'd be a very very very slight improvement to our team. He'd be another big guy who doesn't use his size effectively. Isn't that pretty much the insignia of this squad? A big shy team?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I've brought this up before... total speculation but I often wonder if our strength and conditioning is up to par with that of other teams. I don't know much about it or how you could even compare our regimens to those of other teams.

It may be a non-issue. My concerns may just stem from McPhee bringing in too many players that are either too soft, too slow, etc...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

that is a fair statement.

@cstanton

I know Arnott wouldnt be a big upgrade. Thats why I said look for W's and Laich to move to C.

He has shown he will look at the east, look at last year. If he is giving up an NHL roster player in a deal, he will deal him to the West. He'll give picks and prospects to East.

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that pretty much the insignia of this squad? A big shy team?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 3:38 PM

Very much so... which is just an awful way to construct a roster, esp. in today's game.

The Caps have the tallest and heaviest set of forwards in the NHL. Did you guys know that? Yet we are way too soft from a statistical are eye test.

We also have the tallest and one of the heaviest set of d-men in the NHL? Once again, too soft overall there.

In today's game, speed is at a premium. If you are going to go big and slow, at least make sure the guys are extremely tough and use it. Otherwise, you're shooting yourself in the foot twice.

Among the many general misconceptions about our team is that we are super fast. You hear it all the time and I simply don't believe it to be close to true. That misconception was mostly due to our style of play than the actual team speed. We're largely a bunch of slow oafs in relative terms. You can't just pick one or two speedy players. You have to really look at the overall roster and compare it to that of other teams. It's all relative.

Here is the data about height/size:

It's from just a few months ago so it's probably still pretty accurate.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Mike Fisher -- 209 hits last year

Jason Arnott -- 24 hits in 2009

One of em also has some youth on his size. Guess who.

There are many other factors obviously than just # of hits (skill, defensive play, playoff/Cup experience). But Fisher is infinitely more effective using his body than Arnott is. The only advantage Arnott has is his reach. But he's nowhere near the player he used to be. Maybe he'll get a boost if he gets traded or something, I don't know. But his everyday style of play doesn't equate to a "center with size" (not saying that Pat was referring to Arnott, but his name does come up a lot).

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

New thread again

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 10, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

pokerface:

my point is i don't think McPhee has a clue what he wants. He seems afraid to actually go out and get the "right" pieces. Poile made a good move. i guess you appreciate the comments GMGM made during the Della Rovere/DJK move. yeah, that is some good stuff!!

Posted by: doughless | February 10, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

on this team, you need BOTH Brads and Beags in the lineup.

Now if we had thought AHEAD and perhaps drafted and developed a bigger stronger younger cheaper version of Bradley, this wouldn't be an issue.

Without making another deal the rest of the way, the only way to maximize our roster strength is by bringing up Beags, waiting for Fehr to get healthy, and then replacing MP and Gordo in the lineup.

Then you'd have

Ovy-Backs-Fehr
Semin-Laich-Knuble
Hendricks-MaJo-Beags
Chimera-Steck-Brads

That would be my lineup with some flexibility on the lines. And I still wouldn't expect to get out of the 1st round with that. I think the 1st and 3rd lines would be decent. The 2nd line would be up in the air. And the 4th line would hit once every 2 or 3 games.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that is exactly what the Caps need, Fisher, a mediocre player in a mediocre team with a +/- rating of -19 and a career average of +/- 1.9. A prolific goal scorer with 167 goals in 11 seasons and a top assist man with 181 for the same period - WOW!!! GMGM must be an idiot for not breaking up the caps or at least giving 3 picks for this guy, why he makes everyone around him better.
I am with you guys ... now back to the lunatic asylum.

Posted by: isthatallthereis | February 10, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

cstanton:

think those look pretty good. i am not sold on Beagle, however.

Posted by: doughless | February 10, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Spezza, I don't think we need two Semins. I've compiled a list of candidates would love feedbacks on fit/possibilty to come here

The dream acquisition Rj Umberger ( won't happen)

Candidates:

Travis Zedjac
Stephen Weiss
Tim Connelly
Dainus Zubrus ( best year with Ovi)
Alexi Kovalev ( federov rejuv factor, won't cost much)
Big monster on the oilers (Dustin Penner? Name
Phil Kessell ( only for a bag of turds and Poti$
Anyone of the top 3 offthe Blues if they become sellers doubtful that team needs to be te playoffs financially.

Posted by: Bricucci1 | February 10, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Oilers Center name I can't remember.

Posted by: Bricucci1 | February 10, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

@isthatallthereis: So you judge players strictly on stats. No watching and making observations, no passing the "eye" test. When GMGM makes a trade, you want it to be strictly on stats. Go back to your fantasy league and leave the lunatics to rule this asylum.

Posted by: penscapsNOTarivalry | February 11, 2011 7:56 AM | Report abuse