Tom Poti: 'I'm hoping I'll be ready' vs. Bruins

Rookie defenseman John Carlson left the skate early this morning because he was sore after blocking a shot in Saturday's game against Nashville. Coach Bruce Boudreau said his status against the Bruins will be determined Tuesday.

"We said we're down in numbers right now, so let's not push it and wait until tomorrow and see how it feels tomorrow," said Boudreau, who added that he believed Tom Poti will be ready to play against Boston.

Poti participated in the full practice and skated the hardest he has since being scratched for last week's game against the Senators with a lower-body injury. Mike Green (upper-body injury) and Matt Bradley (lower-body injury), who skated but came off the ice early, both remain day-to-day.

"I'm hoping I'll be ready. I'll have to reassess it in the morning but hopefully when I wake up in the morning I still feel good," Poti said. "I thought I played pretty good in the first two games and to get derailed and not able to get into a rhythm, I pretty much have to start over again."

--Asked if Semyon Varlamov will play one of the two games against the Bruins this week, Boudreau didn't tip his hand. "I'm hoping he's going to play soon, but Neuvy's playing pretty well," Boudreau said.

--The Caps' Mike Vogel reports that 2008 first-round pick Anton Gustafsson is returning to Sweden after informing the team that "he is not enjoying hockey at this point in his career."

--Following the Capitals' most uneven contest of the season against Nashville, I'm working on a story about the team's quest to play a full 60-minute game, featuring Boudreau's assessment that pulls no punches.

"I told them they're winning on talent," Boudreau said. "Not on the way they're playing."

By Katie Carrera  | October 18, 2010; 12:49 PM ET
Categories:  John Carlson, Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Are you concerned about the Capitals' unbalanced play?
Next: Capitals' penalty kill rolls on

Comments

I am starting to worry about Green!

Posted by: capscoach | October 18, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

worry about Lil' Gus facing his dad after quitting... *shudders at how that could turn out*

HEADLINE:
"Former NHLer charged in savage beating of son"
*I'm joking people*

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 18, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 18, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

Actually I saw more of a headline followed by an interview...

HEADLINE -
"A Gus injured again, this time emotionally"

Katie C: So Bengt, what are your thoughts about your son quitting on the Caps organization and going back to Sweeden?

Bengt: Hmm, I am not sure what you mean. I do not have a son. You must have me confused with a parent who might be proud of their child.

ZING

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 18, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Whoa..things really blew up around here the past few threads huh? Calm down people.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 18, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree with richmondphil2. Everyone needs to stop worrying about "Baby Gus."

He's just living up to his nickname!

Posted by: jwash4472 | October 18, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

So anyone notice how the Juice played use the other night and now he scores 2 goals. Oh and we have Sloan :(

Posted by: bqts | October 18, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I was referring to the posters here, not A. Gus.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 18, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

what happened now?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 18, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

winning on talent, not on the effort... old habits die hard, eh??

they talk a good game, that's about all they do well.

Posted by: joek443 | October 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I know some people on here hate stats and some people love stats. Here are stats from a different sport, the NFL. Yet very amusing at how meaningless stats can be sometimes.

The 2-4 Chargers lead the NFL in total offense & total defense; the 1-4 Cowboys are ranked No. 3 in O, No. 4 in D.

Pretty interesting, I just thank god im not a fan of either of those teams. And more importantly Im not a coach of either of those teams bc Phillips and Turner are going to get fired unless they turn it around fast.

Posted by: ThePat | October 18, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Those stats only look at yardage. Not turnovers, penalties, or most importantly, points scored.

In hockey terms, I think the most similar would be ranking teams offensively and defensively only in terms of the number of shots on goal per game.

They both matter, but they are not enough by themselves to determine how good an offense or defense is.

In addition, those NFL stats do not look at special teams which cost both the Chargers and Cowboys the past few weeks.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 18, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

dont get your panties all in a bunch. I understand what the NFL stats mean. You don't need to go on a tirade. I know its yardage stats. If team's are that good on offense and on defense though you would expect better records. Im not saying expect the best, but those numbers should indicate more than 3 wins combined between the two teams.

Posted by: ThePat | October 18, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

winning on talent, not on the effort... old habits die hard, eh??

they talk a good game, that's about all they do well.

Posted by: joek443 | October 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I think the quote was they were winning on talent not the "way they are playing". Didn't see anything in this post questioning their effort. But however you want to read it is ok so long as it fits your view of things.

The fact is they were playing with three rookie dmen, including a guy who was making his NHL debut at 29. Oh and Tyler Sloan who should not be relied up to play such minutes. They gave up two goals and no PP goals.

The Preds aren't the 80's Oilers but they are a well coached team who should have been able to beat a team with the lineup the Caps put out there. But they didn't. The Caps were sloppy and got bailed out by Neuvy. The effort was there but any team missing key minutes guys like Poti and Green would struggle.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 18, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

No tirade, no panties in a bunch, just clarifying your inexact statement.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 18, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@bqts...Are you serious. Jurcina scored 5 goals in his last 2 years here. He probably won't score 2 more this year. When the Caps are healthy, Sloan goes right back to the scratch suite where he belongs.

Posted by: Big_Pushy | October 18, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice that Teddy yanked the $1 hot dog night this year. Even with the potential to have a rat dropping or 2, I was looking forward to one of the best promotions Verizon Center offers. But alas, no gorging for me. :(

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 18, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@ Big_Pushy

Yes I am serious. I know he probably will not score again but I would take his D as a scratch and there if needed over Sloan anyday.

Posted by: bqts | October 18, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@ SeminAllOverTheIce

That's cause he has to keep them for Sloan

Posted by: bqts | October 18, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

my "inexact statement" was a FACT. So sorry you dont like dealing with those.

Posted by: ThePat | October 18, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

bah...now I dislike him even more now. Thats MAH GRUBBAGE. First he gets to make $700k to be a Caps spectator whereas I have to pay to be one...and now he's hogging all the dogs. Man, trade him asap.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 18, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@ SeminAllOverTheIce

Well maybe they get rid of him next year and we can have $ dog night back, I pretty sure $ dog night is cheaper anyway and sure makes the fans happier

Shout out to SECTION 115

Posted by: bqts | October 18, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Looks like noone - players and fans alike from the some of the comments have learned nothing from last year...NOTHING

These habits are hard to shake...being inspired by being down and playing desperation hockey is not the hallmark of a championship caliber team

Do I like our team? Ofcourse. But it is still very much:

Too Cute
Too Lazy
Too Flat (at times)

But for Neuvirth, we could be 1-4.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | October 18, 2010 4:00 P

We should all calm down and enjoy the ride. Imagine the pain of Devils' fans - big-dollar signings in Kovalchuk, Volchenkov and Tallinder and they're 1-4-1 and playing like garbage...They were all screaming for change after last season's early playoff exit, they got big change, and it hasn't looked so good in the early part of the season. And they are still in salary cap he!!. So why don't we all take a deep breath, watch and enjoy this team and hope that the aspects of their game that we can see and criticize the coaches are also working on.

Peace...

Posted by: Thisistheyear | October 18, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

my "inexact statement" was a FACT. So sorry you dont like dealing with those.

Posted by: ThePat

Yes, your statement was a fact. I was merely clarifying your statement because you failed to define in your post what the rankings were based on. Hence your inexact statement.

Why are you getting upset about this? You failed to include some information and I then followed up by adding that additional information. Not a big deal.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 18, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

sorry but your original repsonse to define what total offense and defense are was not needed. The only reason you did that was in an effort to spin things for the way you want them to come acorss like you always do. Anything about stats just dont respond to my posts from now on. I'd rather you not try to twist things I bring up. Thanks.

Posted by: ThePat | October 18, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I wasn't trying to spin anything or even make a point. I was just clarifying. Maybe some readers did not know how NFL rankings were determined.

Then I made an analogy that ranking NFL offenses and defenses on yardage would be similar to ranking NHL offenses and defenses in terms of shots on goal. I think that analogy is pretty apt. Others may agree with me on that. If you disagree with that analogy, that is fine.

I was just making a simple statement in the conversation. I was not trying to be confrontational in any way. There is no reason to be upset by anything I said.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 18, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

ThePat and sgm3:
Cool it already. Petty bickering like this is exactly the reason people get tired of reading this blog.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 18, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

OMG, it's the "don't respomnd to my posts" thing again!

Chill out both of you...please!

LOL

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 18, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201

I'm not bickering. I'm not arguing or upset. Look at what I wrote. Nothing argumentative. I did not say anything about ThePat. I was just pointing out the nature of my post and my thinking behind it.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 18, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

okay children you two will be getting a timeout if you can't settle your differences.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | October 18, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@nimrodrsp

I have no differences that need to be settled.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 18, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, two of the first three picks in the 2008 draft are already complete busts.

This is why the Caps long term plan of building from within is not sustainable. They pick too late and they miss on too many picks.

Posted by: alanb1 | October 18, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I do love the fact that we are all on the blog talking about the 7th defenseman. Throw Johnny Minus (Erskine) into the conversation if you like. I think we should be happy with the start and the overall team. If it gets bad near playoff time, we have cap space to pick up another d-man.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 18, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Is somebody really pining for Milan Jurcina?

Posted by: ouvan59 | October 19, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"Tirade? I was just making a simple additional comment that needed to be said to put the statistic you pointed out in better reference.
No tirade, no panties in a bunch, just clarifying your inexact statement."
Posted by: sgm3 | October 18, 2010 3:48 PM

Sheez! It seems like more than half of your posts are defending the other half of your posts. You might want to grow a thicker skin.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | October 19, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Man I hope Tom Poti gets back soon. As do John Carlson's =/- numbers.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 19, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"+/- numbers," that was supposed to read. Man, I really need to hit that preview button a little more often.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 19, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse