Tom Poti: 'My stubbornness hurt me'

By Katie Carrera

On Thursday, Coach Bruce Boudreau described Tom Poti as going a little stir crazy these days, and it's an accurate assessment. Poti has played just four games this season because of what is believed to be a groin injury that resulted in him being scratched against Ottawa on Oct. 11. He aggravated the injury when he came back to play two games in mid-October against the Bruins.

"When I hurt it, I didn't think it'd be this long," Poti said. "My stubbornness hurt me a little bit by playing those two Boston games. I should have stayed out a little bit longer and made sure it was strong enough and ready to go, but I just wanted to get out on the ice so bad and play again.

"I felt decent the first game and the second Boston game, it didn't feel good at all. I just had to make the decision with the staff to shut it down for a little while and make sure that it's completely ready the next time I come back."

Poti has missed the five games since that second game against the Bruins on Oct. 21. He returned to the ice this week, gradually increasing his time and involvement in practices with the team. He has dealt with groin problems in each of the past three seasons as well and is trying to make sure there's no doubt about his health when he returns again.

"Last time I came back, I was probably 75 to 80 percent, which is in my estimation pretty good or good enough," Poti said. "But you start off at 75 or 80 percent, and it goes down to 60 and then farther pretty quick, whereas if you wait until you're 100 percent and really strengthen it and make sure it's ready you can stay out for the rest of the time without worrying about getting hurt again."

Tyler Sloan's anticipated return to the lineup tonight means the Capitals have all the other defensemen who started the season available, but Poti's absence is significant. In taking a more methodical approach to recovery, he believes he's making progress.

"It's been encouraging. I've been able to stay out a little longer each time and go a little harder each time," Poti said. "I've been going a lot harder in the weight room and on the bike and stuff like that than I have on the ice because I'm just a little bit scared on the ice to really try to press it. But I'm slowly progressing -- I want to get it ready and get it right."

By Katie Carrera  | November 5, 2010; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Injuries, Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notes from the Capitals' morning skate
Next: Tonight's lineup: Bruins at Caps

Comments

"I think the articel about semin is very on point...he seems to just be working harder this season, and he did work his butt off in the playoffs. Hopefully he is maturing and this isn't just to get a good contract. Whoever ends up getting him, I would not sign him for more than a 3 yr. deal at a time. He may very well end up being the difference maker in the season."

I do agree Semin is working hard but he showed marked improvement last season too. As everyone knows he scored 40 goals for the first time and his PIMs per game went down. The quality of shots taken by him the playoffs is often questioned but the fact is he was firing from everywhere. Snakebitten!

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Thomas is due for a stinker. He is 7-0 and has only given up 5 goals total. The Caps are going to light him up tonight. I predict 4 goals for the Caps before the game is half over and Thomas watching the rest of the game from the bench.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 5, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

I am diggin' that prediction!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 5, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Fan, I'm betting for something more like 2-1, 3-2. I think both teams respect each other and will play a little tight, trying not to make mistakes. The game will be physical, but not cheap. Special teams may well decide it. But then again, I thought the Flames-Caps game was going to be tight, so wth do I know?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 5, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds that Flash cant hold onto his stick and it ends up in row 4 again?

Vegas has it at 2:1

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

If BB keeps the big line together I'll bet Boston responds by pairing Seidenberg with Chara; they've been splitting them up in the past to have two solid pairings.

If that does happen and Julien pairs them up, I think the Laich-Flash-Knuble line should get plenty of chances; Boston's other D are certainly beatable [esp with Boychuk out] - of course, whether they actually bury said chances [Knuble], is another matter.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo, I'd like to think I'm not thin skinned, I'm not sure it's your job to moderate the discussion, or dictate to other posters what they should post or not post. I'm pretty sure the idea is to respond to those who address your comments.

I don't think I've ever insuled anyone on this board, and if I did I would apologize immediately. Who exactly did I insult?

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 5, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I just hope the next time his stick goes flying in the stands, it lands at my seat. That would save me from buying one for about $250.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 5, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps

You would pay $250 for a game used Flash stick? Hmm, think you would be overpaying by about $300.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 5, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI: Actually the market value for most of the stick use is in the $300 per stick range. Now, their's come from what is called "pro-stock" so $300 is probably cheap.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 5, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

just curious:

does the team pay for players sticks, or do the players have to buy them...cause Ov breaks sticks like nobody's business.

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock

I think you missed my attempt at a joke at Flash's expense, insinuating that one would need to be PAID at least $50 to take a Fleischmann stick. :)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 5, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo, if you're going to call me out, at least address my response in a timely manner.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 5, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

capscoach: I don't know the answer for sure but a couple of years ago I sent a letter to Ted suggesting the team keep wood sticks on the bench for critical points of the game and mandate players use them (sticks they choose of course). Critical points being the last few minutes of a game and PK and PPs. Ted responded by saying the NHLPA would not allow the Caps or any team to mandate a certain type of stick. He followed that up with saying he wished he could mandate the use of wooden sticks because it would cost him much much less money.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 5, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Not $300 for a pro stock stick. Thoes end up being a little cheaper then retail as they don't have a 30 day warranty that retail sticks do. High end sticks are pushing $250 right now with most around the $215 range

Teams stick budgets are anywhere from $750K to over $1M.

Posted by: UMWHockey | November 5, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock

yea...I bet the NHLPA would have fought that one pretty hard! It is really annoying though when a stick breaks right at a crucial point in the game.

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach -I agree. Some people are a little sensitive today! Is it because of all the rain yesterday and the cooler weather?

I think everyone will be fine after the time change this weekend.

Posted by: jwash4472 | November 5, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Random...but all my typos are not due to lack of grammar skills, but more to the fact that my room is frezzing right now and I do not have good finger dexterity at the moment.

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"The way people argue on here(I know I am guily as well), you would thing we were all married!"

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 1:54 PM

capscoach, I "thing" the only "think" you are "guily" of today is starting to pre-game a bit too early. :P jk

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 5, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@seminallovertheice

please c above post! And to add to the sensitivity on the board today...do you have an issue with me? Because I can't tell if half your comments towards me are sarcastic or just plain nasty...I mean I apologized last week when u thought I was speaking down to you.

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@semin....sorry didn't c the jk...jumped to conclusion.

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

It's all good. Btw you missed the all important colon uppercase P as well, which would have been further evidence that a joke was being made as opposed to an attack.

People like to good on others when they make a simple mistake. Kind of like when I ordered an Egg Log Latte yesterday at Starbucks. Stupid tongue, now Im glad I burned you afterwards.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 5, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

See I did one there...Good = goof.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone will be fine after the time change this weekend.

Posted by: jwash4472

I assume this is directed at me, yeah, it could be the rainy weather, also, just want to get to tonights game to get some revenge on the Bruins. My apologies if my posts are coming off that way, certainly not my intention.

But, I think most people would be a little sensitive if they got called out on something, only for the person who called you out to disappear.

Looking forward to Sunday's game too. Flyers look to be a tough oppenent as well, I'm anxious to see how we match up.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 5, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

calm down....

2 things tonight:

1) I would not be surprised to see Neuvy come up huge. He's going against the hottest goalie in the league, and he and his D are expecting a low scoring affair.

2) We gotta crash the net. Absent a screen, Thomas is not likely letting in perimeter shots. Screens, deflections, quick passes, inside shots. It is an opportune time for the Caps to make this adjustment.

Posted by: Justafan | November 5, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

just curious:

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

players don't pay for any of their equipment. They are requirements of the job just like an office computer, pens, etc is required to do a "normal" job. therefore they are paid for by the employer. in fact, many if not all players get paid to use certain sticks, skates, etc. Thats why the team is able to sell such equipment each year cause it belongs to the team, not the player.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 5, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I will reiterate post from yesterday Knuble scores one, maybe two tonight, as his bad luck has to turn and Thomas' good luck has to turn too.

I am also guilty of millions of typos. Three things I'm very good at are math and speling but I'm a lousy typer.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm really hoping the Caps come out with energy from the start and play a very strong all-around game tonight. They need to break through against the B's.

That said, I would love to steal Bergeron from them, notwithstanding the concussion history. Great on the PK and decent offensively too.

Posted by: zmega | November 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I get grumpy when I am cold...and I think some of my deamon students got me sick on top of it! Caps better win tonight or I will need someone to keep me away from my computer.

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I am also guilty of millions of typos. Three things I'm very good at are counting and speling but I'm lousy at typing.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | November 5, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I figured Blue Chip players like OV, who have a name on a stick, are pretty much sponsored by that company and don't pay a dime for the stick they're using. The team might have to buy sticks for someone like Tyler Sloan or Steckel, but the first line is definitely not paying for sticks.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | November 5, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@Fletch - my bad, I stepped out for a late lunch and was away from my computer.

But if you really want to find me I'm going to try and skate the 11:30 pickup at Mt. Vernon next Wed; I'll be the skinny kid with beat up gear and no shoulder pads - should be easy enough to find me.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@Fletch - my bad, I stepped out for a late lunch and was away from my computer.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

About the question of who pays for the sticks. I recently read the book by Dave Hanson and in the book he talks about how when his team had run out of money to buy sticks he would start a bench clearing brawl so his teams equipment manager could sneak on the other teams bench and steal a bunch of sticks. It is a great book for all those who love Slap Shop.

As for making players use wood sticks. That is a really bad idea. Considering how picky players are about their sticks you want to make them play with something they are not comfortable with in the most important parts of the game? I am not very picky about my sticks and often switch blade patterns to whatever is on sale (although I always use Eastons because I have found they don't break as much). I tried a wood stick a few months ago and could not do anything with it. The balance of the stick is way off compaired to the composite sticks and the stiffness way too stiff and I use either 100 or 110 flex sticks (the stiffest you can get) while most NHL players use 85 flex sticks to get the whip they use to get a harder shot. If players had to switch to wood sticks you would see a lot more failed clearing attempts on the PK and no goals on the PP. So sticks wouldn't break but when the player actually had the stick he would almost be as useless as if he didn't have a stick. There is a reason why no player still uses a wooden stick.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 5, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 5, 2010 3:10 PM

and all this time i just thought it was the wine

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 5, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@Fletch - my bad, I stepped out for a late lunch and was away from my computer - not to mention I seem to be getting extra attention from the moderator today, can't imagine why.

In any case, you'd clearly like to find me, no argument here - how about the 11:30 pickup at Mt. Vernon next Wed, that work? I'll be the skinny dude with beat up pads and no shoulder pads, should be easy enough to spot.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 5, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 5, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming with all the mass amounts of double/triple postings, CI is glitching today? Either that, or they hired Double Rainbow guy to maintain their code.....double posting all the way.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 5, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 5, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I posted one earlier and it got hung up, so I posted same thing again...and it got hung up...when I come back an hour later the blog is back up with all the double posts of people who did likewise.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 5, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

No SAOTI, I decided one guy ticked off at me wasn't quite enough, I needed to try and annoy everyone else on the board too with mass duplicate postings ;-)

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The Globe's B's beat reporter says CJ will split up Chara and Seidenberg; interesting to see how long he sticks with that if BB keeps the big guns together.

Don't get me wrong, Chara-Seids is definitely a formidable duo - but it potentially exposes their 2nd pairing, IMO. C'mon Knubs, time to finish some of those golden chances!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Double Postings....All The Way!!! OMG!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | November 5, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 5, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

@j3rockstar:
actually, Timbo had a triple post... it's that kinda of rare online move.. .like the triple deke in The Mighty Ducks... Kaaa-Chow!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 5, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

@_Timbo:

Not to bludgeon a fossilized Eohippus, but I'm with you on the Crosby thing.

I respect that he has mad skills, but the fact that:

1) He plays for the Penguins,
2) He's a spoiled brat with a vile temper who buys into his own media hype,
3) He is physically incapable of giving credit where it is due,
4) He gets away with things that would get other players suspended, and
5) He has no Code,

...basically means it's a biological imperative that I must despise him.

It's kind of like how Sarah Palin's fiercely ignorant, bat-guano Tea-Bagger wing-nuttery totally ruins her hawtness ("Get AWAY from me, She-Devil!").

Of course, that's just my opinion--I could be wrong.

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 5, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse