Posted at 11:11 AM ET, 12/22/2010

Tom Poti not practicing, Caps prospect Patrick Wey makes U.S. WJC team

By Katie Carrera

The Caps just started practice at KCI and Tom Poti is perhaps the only unexpected player missing from the ice. Neither Matt Bradley, who will be out 2-4 weeks with a broken finger, nor Boyd Gordon (undisclosed) are skating.

Eric Fehr is back after spending time with his family following the death of his grandmother and so is Matt Hendricks, who missed the game against the Devils with an injury the details of which were not disclosed by the team. Jeff Schultz (fractured thumb) is taking part in practice.

In other news, USA Hockey announced the final roster for the National Junior Team that will compete at the World Junior Championship in Buffalo Dec. 26-Jan. 1. Included on the roster is Capitals' defensive prospect Patrick Wey, a fourth-round draft pick from 2009 who is in his sophomore year at Boston College.

You can check out the full U.S. roster here.

By Katie Carrera  | December 22, 2010; 11:11 AM ET
Categories:  Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More on Andrew Gordon's first NHL goal
Next: Boudreau on players in scoring slump: 'It's up to them'

Comments

Wey to go!

Posted by: jeets | December 22, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Imagine that, Poti out again. That was one terrific contract extension there!

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Here's my feeling : I don't care who is in the lineup as long as it translates to success in the playoffs. My sense is that you have decided, however, that Erskine/King MUST be in the lineup and you will rationalize any success in their absence as a fluke or coincidental.

Posted by: MadCap1

I agree completely with this statement. It is right on point. Good stuff.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@madcap (continuing from last thread)

Erskine is a MUST in the lineup come playoff time, period. DJK? Well, Brashear served us well in his last playoff go-round vs. the Rangers; I'd imagine DJK could be similarly useful on occasion. But he certainly won't be of any value if he's only going to play a dozen regular season games.

DJK's value to us is now, in the regular season. Like I said, I'm sure he's a proud man and any ounce of pride and confidence he once possessed has been sucked right out of him because of BB's refusal to assimilate him into the team.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 22, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Maintenance day, PhilR, maintenance day.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 22, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

CTCapsPhan,

Is that from twitter? My stupid work blocks twitter.

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

VT - I missed your comment about apples to oranges so sorry about that.

I still wouldn't take AGordon out of the lineup to put DJK in. Besides last night, we have been having trouble scoring goals and AGordon has at least established himself at the AHL level as a goal scorer/point producer.

With that said, the more I think about it maybe it wouldn't be bad to put DJK in Bradley's lineup spot over the next 2-4 weeks to see if he can create some space and goon it up a bit. Only thing is Bradley is an effective penalty killer and DJK is not. So maybe tomorrow we should put Hendricks back in that spot (which would suck because then Fehr is still a scratch). I just wouldn't experiment with DJK against the Pens, against whom we historically get the short-end of the stick on penalty calls (despite the fact that they have two guys who can really throw 'em).

Hopefully you agree with that because what I really want to discuss is how soft Green is in front of our net. I don't understand why he can NEVER tie someone up in front of the net? It's ridiculous. Last night's goal against is a perfect example, but I think it happened on Saturday and Sunday as well.

Posted by: Cherno | December 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

A supposed Caps fan hoping for a loss to the Pens. Yeah, that's sure to win people to your point of view.

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 22, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Wey to go, indeed. Eakin also made the Canadian team, right? Any other prospects in the WJC?

GREAT holiday fun if you haven't seen it before. Was pretty cool to watch Carlson and della Rovere last year...

Posted by: SiberianTiger1 | December 22, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@SiberianTiger

Kuznetsov, Galiev and Orlov all made it for Russia. I'm not sure if the Caps have prospects on any other teams, but I don't think so. It's pretty good to have 5 though.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

PhilR,

No, just my humorous way of repeating what we hear on here all the time.

No substantiation to my post.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 22, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I thought Hannan played much better last night. He's looking more comfortable, more alert and.... GRITTIER.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | December 22, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I think Backstrom is playing well, now Ovie is a different story. Did any of you noticed all the missed shots Ovie took?

Posted by: guer_j | December 22, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts

I agree. He looks much more comfortable and looks like he has a better idea of where his teammates will be for outlet passes and such. He also blocked a lot of shots on good scoring opportunities last night.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@guer

Backstrom has been ok defensively, but he has been worse than Ovie on offense...he is taking 2 long to get his shot off, he hasn't been feeding ovie the puck, and it is forcing ovie to have to try to score without any help (not that he has been great either of course)

@vermont

There are a lot of goats blood drinkers who I disagree with, but respect their views...you are not one. Just b/c you think DJK and Erskine are the end all be all to this team does not make you right...there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, and having a guy take up a roster spot solely for his fists is 9 times out of 10 pointless...the Pens enforcers can at least skate and play. We have Hendricks and Erskine and I have not seen the Caps picked on by other teams very much this season...last night the whole team played physical.

There is a reason DJK only makes 650,000...he isn't that good!

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

vermontcaps: Do you even think about your comments? Brashear played a total of like 4 games during the 2008-09 playoffs and was kicked out of one of the games in New York due to a blindside his at Betts. If you are saying DJK is as important to the line-up as Brashear proved to be back in 08-09, well, you're dead on.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I see that the Pens will be starting Brent Johnson in goal tonight. They clearly want to play MAF against the Caps.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@cherno

we're actually closer to being on the same page than it might appear to some. I agree w/virtually everything you said in your last post.

Here's what I'd like to see AFTER the game tomorrow (I want last night's lineup to play the Pens):

Ovi-Back-Knuble*
Laich*-MP-Semin
Chimera*-Majo-Fehr*
Hendricks-Stecks-DJK

A.Gordon/Beagle could be substituted for any of the *players, and the lines could be furthur juggled.

I don't know what the deal is with Green. ****55 as his partner or not, he's played like this all year.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

No, A Gordon should be substituted for DJK.

Fehr back on the top line

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 22, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

If I recall, we were down either 3-1 or 3-2 to the Rags and playing in NY. Betts was perhaps the Rags best penalty killer. We proceeded to win every game and the series after that hit. Why do you think the Rangers signed Brashear that very summer? (They quickly learned, too, that his playing days were behind him......unlike DJK)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 22, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if it was already discussed, but did anyone notice that in NJD post game presser...he was on the verge of tears.

I think that team just proves how complicated coaching and managing a team is...We can all (I mean I do it 2) sit at our computers and state what would make this team win, but it is WAY more complicated than any of us can really imagine.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about the rest of you but I was excited to see what DJK brought to the table. Then I got to see. Early in the season, I cannot even remember which game, he looked like a total idiot because he was taking runs at people but was missing them by a mile, smacking face first into the boards, and falling flat on his face. Then came a couple of fights. Not sure what everyone else's impressions are but he hasn't won a fight yet. He looks gassed 20 seconds in. Please don't try to say he is out of shape because he doesn't play. There are many ways to stay in shape, even as an NHLer that makes their living as a fighter. Their off-ice training could mimic boxer type training to get the cardio where it needs to be to fill their role. He has been a disappoinment, that's for sure. I hope for his sake, and the Caps that he finds his spot on this team because he seems to genuinely be a good guy. Time will tell if letting SDR go for DJK was a good move. Right now, it does not good to argue because all we get now are opinions.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

VTcaps,

Hate to say it man but you have even lost me on this one. There is no need for an enforcer come playoff time and that is obvious every postseason. I agree with you that Ersk should be in the lineup every night as Mrs Poti should be eating nachos with Sloan but DJK? Not so much...there are other guys willing to drop the mits ie Brads, Hendricks, Ersk and I have seen Beagle drop them as well in Hershey. Beagle and AGordon bring needed grit to the team and have a better skill set than DJK ever will. Sorry man, he should only get ice time if mgmt feels the opposing team is GOING to goon it up.

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

How will I sleep tonight? It scares me that you are molding minds...

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I see. Brashear hit the ice and said I am going to take Betts out because with him in the NYR line-up we are not going to win this series. Brashear is a friggin' genius. If not for him we would have lost the series!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach - yes I agree, it's evident something is wrong with Backs/Ovie. Man, I hope they get it together tomorrow.

Whoohoo, I'm so pumped up, I’ll be at the game tomorrow! Finally will get to experience the craziness.

Posted by: guer_j | December 22, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Seen boyd gordon with a cast on right foot

Posted by: brittanyb_sm | December 22, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Vermont,

I'm pretty sure it was game 6 that Betts got knocked out of.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey PhilR, I was right afterall:

Boudreau said it was a maintenance day for Tom Poti. #Caps

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope and pray that he won't be in the lineup tomorrow night, and I also hope the Pens draw on their toughness to bully and push us all over the ice. Perhaps a humiliating defeat at the hands of our hated rivals, at home no less, will cause fans to view DJK's worth in a different light. Posted by: vermontcaps

Vermontcaps - First, I believe there is about zero chance that Goddard is in the lineup tomorrow night. Second, what if the Caps use last night's lineup and win tomorrow -- you will call it a fluke, right ? I think it's interesting how you dismiss some positive performances last night suggesting that the Devils are awful, and yet you praise Erskine for his play last night. You can't have it both ways.

Posted by: MadCap1 | December 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You guys are basing your opinion of DJK on SEVEN games. SEVEN! Based on OV's last SEVEN games I would trade him for a 6th round pick in a heart beat!

How well do you think Backstrom would play if he was scratched for 5-7 games and then thrown on the ice? I'll answer that for you, F'ing horrible.

I hope DJK is scratched tomorrow. Not because I want to see Caps beaten up (we've seen enough of that), but he would be thrown to the wolves. He has been given zero chance to hone his fighting skills and to put him in against players who have is inviting disaster.

Sorry but if you don't understand the importance of a player like DJK you truly don't understand this game. The league trend is going with MORE toughness, they realize that is what SELLS tickets. They are also seeing the success of MMA and trying to attract that crowd.

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmm, wings.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 22, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

if you had taken a class from me, you would know how to make a balanced argument...you are so bind to everyone elses opinion.

I am proud that I at least consider other people's arguments and ocassionally change my opinion b/c of them.

The funny thing is that a lot of us agree with you about Erskine, (I do) but you are so off putting in your comments, it is hard to listen to you.

If you acknowledged other people's opinions, your own arguments would have more validity...as it is...you mostly just sound angry and stubborn.

FYI...my 8th graders last year (who averaged a third grade reading level when I got them) did 65% better(pass rate that is) on their state test than they had the year before...and that was me as a 1st year teacher.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadCap1

You forget that if you disregard being consistent and accurate that you can have it both ways.

Being consistent and accurate is not of importance to vermontcaps. So he is able to have it both ways.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

FLDave,

So because I feel that Ersk can handle other teams heavies as he has proven this year he can and that we have a couple other middleweights on the team that can handle themselves as well I do not understand this game? Really? I am one of the biggest goat blood drinkers out there and am pissed that DJK has not been given more of an opportunity but guess what? Hendricks took his spot, it is just that plain and simple, you can't change what mgmt's view is. So why not keep the Beagle's and AGordon's of the world who have a higher skill set than DJK in the game and can still bring some abrasiveness?

Also, the toughness argument selling tickets is pretty asisnine, and I usually agree with your posts. How many games have the Caps sold out in a row and how many road games do they sell out? Just saying.

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

capscoach

Congrats on your success as an 8th grade teacher and making a difference!

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

while I think enforcers can be helpful at times, I don't think they make as big a difference as agitatirs (who can skate and play)

Like I said...there is a reason DJK is one of the lowest paid players in the league.

What did we have to give up for King?

Like I said before...I think coaching and managing a team is WAY more complicated than many on here give credit for...If it was as easy as trading so and so, getting so and so, and changing this style...well there would be a lot more top teams in the NHL.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

should be "asinine"....stupid fingers

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks FLDave

I am stuck at home today with the flu! Thats how the "little angels" repay me....through the spreading of disease :)

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

My problem w/public education (and thus my concern) is that it's a perfect example of a system in which enabling is systemic. No one is willing (or able) to call a spade a spade, and "strengths" and other admirable qualities in students are fabricated by schools when none exists in the individual.

Your unfailing optimism of the team, certain players, and dismissing of old-time hockey in the post-lockout era is suggestive of someone who has no problem enabling, excusing, and apologizing for the team. That has already caused me to "fire" you as Caps coach sometime in October. I'd now have to have you blackballed, ala Ted Nolan.

As unpopular as they may be, I'm confident that what I write strikes a chord and resonates with many fans. That you can have no respect for the message because you dislike the messenger, well, I know I'm making a lot of good points and time will vindicate me in your eyes. I won't rub it in :)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 22, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 12:45 PM

I've read people on here drawing conclusions about players based on a 20 second sequence on a blurry internet feed of a rookie scrimmage !

Posted by: MadCap1 | December 22, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave |

This statement couldn't be more wrong. The NHL has realized that the MMA crowd is a niche crowd. The desire to draw more fans was, by far, the main reason to opening up the game after the lockout. The league wanted more scoring, more scoring opportunities and a more up and down game. Not just a few guys fighting in the corner.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Brashear played a total of like 4 games during the 2008-09 playoffs and was kicked out of one of the games in New York due to a blindside his at Betts....well fanohock1 Brashear WASN'T kicked out of game 5 versus the Rangers for his hit on Betts. He got a 2 min penalty. He was then suspended 6 games for the hit AND a pre-game bump with Colton Orr. I love when so called Cap fans don't know the facts!!

Posted by: brandon5272lee | December 22, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps >

Um..he almost managed to single-handedly lose that series for us with that criminal crosscheck on Betts that gave the Blueshirts a 5 min pp. (BTW, the Caps - good for them - were not pleased. That was the end of Brashear on the team, I'd like to think as much because of the psychopathology of the incident as anything else...)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 22, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

Hey, you ever you one of those wine aerators on your reds? Friend told me they worked pretty decently. And if you havent, you should. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 22, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Vermontcaps -- you've officially ventured into "remember the good old days" mode. I remember those days when the Caps had less skill but more tough, hard-nosed guys. Man, it was fun celebrating all of those playoff wins and Cup victories.

Posted by: MadCap1 | December 22, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 - good posts! Love that we have 3 players for the Russians. Great quote from Kuznetsov over on RMNB to the effect that while Russian players can learn to play like Canadians and succeed, Canadian players cannot learn to play like Russians. Go Russkies!

There's a sports bar near where I work and every time they have MMA on, it looks like someone's trying to get in between the legs of someone else. I guess they're bringing a new meaning to the word "pin him".

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 22, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

PhilR

Erskine should not be figthing. He is more important to the team on the ice. Putting your D down to five player for a minimum of 5 minutes is not a good thing. With Erskine's concussions he's one punch away from being knocked out of the NHL.

In Washington toughness/fighting does not sell tickets, I completely agree. The fan base is largely high paid, educated people living in one of the most expensive cost of living areas. A large number of fans don't know the game, show up for the atmosphere and variety of beer/wine/food. It's an EVENT to them, not a PASSION. Washington is not the typical NHL city.

If DJK was a constant scratch in Philly Laviolette would need 24/7 protection from the lynch mob. That would also go for a number of coaches in a number of hockey towns.

As for people talking about DJK's salary. That has much more to do with his past injuries than his abilities. He plays a balls to the walls game and it takes its toll.

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadCap1

Funny, yet so true.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Brashear played a total of like 4 games during the 2008-09 playoffs and was kicked out of one of the games in New York due to a blindside his at Betts....well fanohock1 Brashear WASN'T kicked out of game 6 versus the Rangers for his hit on Betts. He got a 2 min penalty. He was then suspended 6 games for the hit AND a pre-game bump with Colton Orr. I love when so called Cap fans don't know the facts!!

Posted by: brandon5272lee | December 22, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

and the penalty Brash got was for roughing after the hit (9:54 Donald Brashear: 2 Minutes for Roughing Paul Mara) game 6 box score

Posted by: brandon5272lee | December 22, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

you never seem to address what I say...I agree Erskine has been great this season. As for my lack of appreciation for old time hockey...I AM 24!!!!

As for excusing the Caps...You seem deaf at my many posts in which I CONSTRUCTIVELY critique this team...last night I noted the great play by the grinder, but also expressed concerns for the top line, PP, and Mike Green. I am sorry I don't think a guy who punches people for a living to be an intricate part of the Caps success...just a difference of opinions.

As for public education...sorry if you feel some children have no value or "admirable" qualitites as you put it...just so you know...I had a mild learning disability in school and I started out below grade level. I had many teachers dismiss me as lazy or stupid. I was lucky to have parents that fought for me and helped me find my "admirable qualitites" I worked hard, had a few teachers take an interest in me and help boost my non existent self-confidence and graduated high school with more than a semesters worth of college credit and a 3.6 GPA. So yeah...I am going to keep looking for the value and gifts in my students.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

FLDave,

The Caps sell out just about all of their away games as well and I have heard that in Canada they absolutely sell out every venue. While I tend to agree that Ersk with his concussion history should not be playing the "heavy" on the team that is the position he has been put in by mgmt this year and I think he has done a pretty good job thus far. Last year I would say that DJK needed to be in the line up more as it looked to me that Ersk was afraid of another concussion and was a bit timid. This year I think he is completely healthy and ready for anything so the need for DJK is not as great.

I guess my point is I would rather have 5-6 guys that can play the game well and STILL be abrasive and be able to handle dropping the mits than having one guy who gets five minutes per game to take out the other teams "heavy" as that is all he has been used for this year. To me he simply appears a tad too slow to be a solid forechecker/energy guy......I think cstanton called it right when they made the trade, they should have kept SDR and just picked up a serviceable enforcer that was available as there were quite a few out there.

Sorry for rambling!

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

sgm3

Do you just follow the NHL on here and CSN??? No offense meant, really, but you couldn't be more wrong. Since the lock out fighting in the league has exploded. Even the Penguins who've traditionally had one semi-enforcer have loaded up.

Check out the links below and you will clearly see the trend after the lock out. The first year after the lock out there was very little fighting. It didn't help attendance and it creeped up the next year, a little more the next and then exploded.

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

PhilR

DJK is not as slow as everyone makes him out to be. He's being judged on seven games played early in the season and three fights against two of the best enforcers in the league. One against Gillies at the end of his shift and two after being jumped by Orr. I don't think he's been given a fair chance by the organization or the fans.

With concussions you normally don't magically become better with time. You become more susceptible to another one and the damage adds up and the concussions add up.

As far as SDR. I seriously doubt he will ever become a regular in the NHL.

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The Caps had very very few fights last year and sold out. Fighting doesn't fill the seats, winning does. I am not going to dispute that toughness is a key ingredient in winning. Fights that result from two guys battling and then finally getting ticked off and saying "let's go" is awesome stuff. I enjoy the fights too.

For example, one of cstanton1's D-men, Derrick Engelland, got into a fight with Pyatt the other day. While some on here saw it as a goon move, I didn't. Two guys broke out of the pack and both appeared willing to go. In hind sight Pyatt shoulda probably said uncle because Engelland had no reason to go easy on him because it is selp preservation at that point.

Right now, DJK looks totally one dimensional. Another player, even though he is a middle weight, who can play the game and can keep up with the game is Carcillo. Another guy that is hated unless he's on your team. The only "pest" in the league that I would never want to see in a Caps jersey though, still, is Avery. He just seems to have absolutely no respect for fellow players.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 22, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

Just because there are more fights than there were a few years ago is irrelevant to the effect fighting has on viewership.

It is true that many hockey fans and non-hockey fans enjoy seeing a fight. But it is rarely ever a reason why a person attends a game. If people want to see fighting they will go to an MMA, boxing, or similar type of event.

Almost all people go to hockey games to watch a hockey game. They may enjoy other parts, but the reason for attending is watching hockey. The lack of open hockey being played before the lockout was a significant factor in the reduced viewership the NHL had.

You may be the rare exception, but for drawing crows it is all about the norm, and the average fan turns on a hockey game for a few hours to see an exciting game, not to see two guys fight for 20 seconds.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

What about these lines? Reward the kids for their strong play latey. And seperate Backs and Ovi for a little while until they find their grooves.

Ovi-Majo-Knuble
Semin-Back-Fehr
A.Gordon-MP-Beagle
Chimera-Stecks-Laich

Posted by: sagerjf | December 22, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1

You're basing you opinion on seven games? I watched him play for the Blues, he was far from 1 dimensional and can play the game as well as Carcillo. He has not been given a chance to even have his skates resharpened and he's already labeled useless.

Did you read any of my other posts on who he fought and the conditions of the fights? How about judging OV on his last seven games? How effective would Backstroom be if he was played once every 6-7 games?

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Brashear was the man in the series against the Rangers, and I think part of the reason why he didn't work out in New York was because most of the team still hated him for knocking out Betts, which was a legal hit at the time.

Bottom line: Stop whining, new fans.

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 22, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

My lines:

Ovie/MP/Fehr or Laich
Knuble/Backstrom/Semin
Chimera/MaJo/Fehr or Laich
Beagle/Steckel/Gordon

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@sagerjf, I agree with you about Ovie and Backs. Your lineup looks pretty good, but after the Ottawa game, I'd switch Fehr and Knuble. He has been more aggressive and determined to get to the net than Knuble's been lately. And, IMO, Knuble and Backstrom have been playing better together than Knuble and Ovie.

Posted by: sabredc | December 22, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@GFisher1

Brashear was NOT the man in washington...hence he played 5 minutes a game.

And (this is not just you) but exactly HOW do you know what these players are thinking? So many people on here think their "connection" to the players is so strong they can know what they are thinking and feeling.

Brashear was OLD when he went to NY. Thats why he didn't work out...he started slowing down. and he was nothing special (beyond fighting) to begin with...he also seemed to be a bit of a recluse everywhere he went...did u read that artcle about his tragic childhood.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

3.6 wont cut it these days (especally with the inflated GPAs now)...guess you will have to work even harder with your kids than your teachers did with you. =)

Then again, Strayer and University of Phoenix needs students too.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 22, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

sgm3

For the average hockey fans games with fights in them are exciting. Washington as I stated earlier is not a typical hockey town. The fans are typically white collar, high income people that live in an overdeveloped high rent area. I don't think that is the norm for the league.

Buffalo sold out the Aud during losing seasons because they had the line of Ray, Barnaby and May. People showed up to watch the fights, there was very little else to savor. I love watching HNIC and the announcers saying sarcastically "Look at all of those people sitting silent in their seats!"

Do you think NASCAR is made up of people that love watching cars go in the same freaking circle 500 times? Hell no! They wanna see bumping, grinding, a car going 200 mph flipping 20 times and God willing two drivers punching it out in the infield!

Humans love carnage, it's in our DNA.

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

GFisher1

Wade Belak ended Brashears career with one punch. After that he was washed up and never the same. I don't believe he won a single fight with NY. The team embrassed his presence, the hit was part of the game and history. Fact is he refused to fight, he was too old to keep up with the NHL pace and they dumped him. The same happened to BGL when he refused to fight or when he did made it a hug fest. People want to see punching not hugging.

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

don't go making fun of my very good GPA!

My GPA was not inflated...and as for my students...as long as they are trying hard and making improvements I am happy...not everyone is college material. People around here (D.C. metro area) are ultra competitive and snobby. Nothing wrong with being a plumber, mechanic, or whatever.

My college GPA was a 3.5 which I am very proud of.

Nothing wrong with the Strayer universitites...I was very fortunate to have parents that supported me and could afford to send me to a 4 year university...most of my students were not so fortunate.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Jeebus. You'd think with the high (and unfounded) regard many hold for DJK, we could easily trade him for Stamkos.

Ditto for Erskine. Don't get me wrong, Erskine's a decent Dman and he's having an above average year but to claim that he's a key to Caps success is just silly. He's good at mucking the corners but in a wide open game, he's a liability because he's slow.

Some of these same folks are stuck in the late-1970s. The game's evolved a bit since then. There was a time when you send a bunch of lunks and goons on the ice and you'd win. Those days are gone; you send out the punchers and you wind up giving teams PPs.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | December 22, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

First off, didnt make fun or your decent GPA. I merely said that today (today being 6 yrs after you graduated mind you) a 3.6 isnt as coveted by colleges being the plethora of 4.0+s out there.

Secondly, you graduated 6 years ago from HS...so sorry to tell you, inflated (same as SAT scores). Lets make the kids feel better about themselves by padding their stats. Something tells me my kids are going to be coming home with 5.0's and 6120 SAT scores.

Thirdly, try relaxing a bit. You get so defensive/upset on a comment board.

I do agree with you on one point. We all cant be doctors and I always say, the world needs garbagemen too.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 22, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse