Posted at 12:14 PM ET, 11/30/2010

Caps trade Tomas Fleischmann to Colorado for defenseman Scott Hannan

By Lindsay Applebaum

undefined

Scott Hannan (Getty Images)

Update, 12:30 p.m.: The Capitals have confirmed the trade of forward Tomas Fleichmann to the Colorado Avalanche for defenseman Scott Hannan.

Katie reports that Hannan will wear No. 23. General Manager George McPhee said he will be in St Louis tomorrow, and the Capitals might give him the day to watch before he starts playing.

[Original Post] TSN's Bob McKenzie is reporting that the Capitals have made a trade with the Colorado Avalanche for veteran defenseman Scott Hannan. The Denver Post's Adrian Dater reports that the Caps player is Tomas Fleischmann.

Hannan, 31, is in the final year of a four-year, $18 million contract he signed in 2007 after spending seven seasons in San Jose, where he was a teammate of current Capitals winger Matt Bradley. He's played in all of Colorado's 23 games so far this season, amassing six points and a plus 1 rating, and has played at least 71 games in each of his 11 pro seasons.

Fleischmann, meantime, has struggled early this season, logging just four goals and six assists in 23 games. A healthy scratch in Friday's game against Tampa Bay, he returned to the lineup Sunday against Carolina and tallied an assist playing left wing on the second line.

According to capgeek, the Capitals will have a projected cap hit of $3,193,548 for the remainder of Hannan's salary this year. Fleischmann's cap hit in Washington this season was $754, 839.

More to come soon.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | November 30, 2010; 12:14 PM ET
Categories:  Scott Hannan, Tomas Fleischmann
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin fourth in All-Star fan balloting after two weeks
Next: McPhee: Scott Hannan 'completes our defense'

Comments

wow

Posted by: pkme | November 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Avs just pick up Hunwick for the blue line? Liles has been very good but I thought they were short d-men. Interesting to see the details. Who's gone?

Posted by: saintex | November 30, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Well we have our tough stay at home defensemen. He is pretty good.

Posted by: pkme | November 30, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat - I'm with ya. Not sure if you know but I'm in Colorado. I ran into a ... friend/slash acquaintance last night at a rink here and was told that the Avs were talking to the Caps. So after all that happened yesterday I asked if it was regarding a Dman coming to DC and I was just "smiled/smirked" at! Obviously I was stoked but to be honest I hear this all the time and nothing materializes. I did have a feeling though that there was a lot of smoke around this one. Didn't know it was Hannan but off all the D here in the Mile High City he's the one I wanted the most.

Nice work GMGM.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me about this guy...is he worth the 4.5 mil? Gritty? SAHD? locker room leader?

SEE YAH FLASH!

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The Avs already have $15m in cap space...holy crap. This is strange. Are they taking on salary from us? A bit scary.

Posted by: saintex | November 30, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

later flash...

Posted by: _stevo | November 30, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Hannan, I don't want to sound like he's Lidstrom or anything but this is a phenominal pickup. He is more physical than Lidstrom by far (not knocking Lids) but he can skate and he can move that puck. He has great outlet passes and he will clear the crease. This is a great trade on many fronts.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Nice!

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 30, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I can live with that addition. He's overpaid, but it is the last year of his deal. I'm assuming Flash straight up? That's fair, in my opinion.

Posted by: thomas20 | November 30, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Well we have our tough stay at home defensemen. He is pretty good.

Posted by: pkme | November 30, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

i think you're the first person to ever refer to Hannan as a "tough, stay at home defenseman"......I, too, think he'll be a good addition to the D-corps but if/when everyone is healthy, I hope it be him and not Erskine who sits in the press box

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

So we'll see Flash in 11 days back at Verizon. Sounds like a good deal.

Posted by: saintex | November 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Is Hannan considered a top 4 D-man? Is he left handed or right handed?

Just curious, I really know nothing about this guy.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone feel bad for Flash? I suppose he'll get more playing time in CO.

Don't know much about Hannan, other than Ovie said he's tough to play against.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | November 30, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

..."but became a Bruins fan due to location and television; I've had no problem with divided loyalties"

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 12:09 PM

then i guess it's a good thing you didn't move to western PA :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex

I think the Avs wanted some more offense. So by trading for Hunwick(they traded a prospect for Hunwick) and then dealing Hannan for Flash they stayed about even on D and improved offensively.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we can finally sign Belanger? Hmm, I'll start calling some moving companies.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Will he be a top 4? Why are people saying Erskine may be better? So many conflicting views I am confused! I really doubt GMGM would trade for an expensive D man that is only comprable to Sloan

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

It is for Flash straight up.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is GREAT news! A tough, S@H defender for Flash. Trading an excess for a need, and no long-term committment, very nice. Way to go GMGM.

And someone said Sids is not a dirty player, I disagree. That shot to the nuts late player in:

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Having Center Ice and living on the West Coast I watch a lot of western conference games and I do like watching the Avs. Hannon isn't what you'd call gritty really, rather he is more of a positional d-man. I'd put his hockey sense/anticipation at average (about Erksine's level) where he probably needs to play in a good defensive system to do really well.

He was one of the worst minus players, a minus 21, a couple years ago in Colorado when they weren't having a great year. It seemed like he was trying to do too much that year and suffering for it. When he is asked for 14-18 minutes of decent defensive hockey he does alright. On a good team he should be a decent 5th or 6th d-man though. He is certainly a substantial upgrade over Sloan.

It is probably best to pair him with a guy who is decent defensively and can skate well because he does make mistakes fairly regularly but not a huge number in the grand scheme of things. Maybe pairing him with Poti would work well.

Posted by: born_rpm | November 30, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW...did anyone notice that I pointed out that Flash wasnt in the Team Building vid clip earlier.

Watch out tom, SAOTI's prophet skills keep growing stronger. Kinda freaky...

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

You'll have to trust me and see for yourself. Hannan is far better than Erskine in every aspect of the game (not putting Erskine down). Think about it his salary is 4.5M. Erskine will never make that.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

so does this mean no more sloan?!?

Posted by: _stevo | November 30, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

From the SB Nation blog (re-post; sorry, I didn't see this news post earlier): http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55482/scott-hannan
"Has good size at 6-1, 225 pounds and uses it effectively to play a tight defensive game. Is able to combine a physical defensive game with discipline. Can log a ton of minutes and is a leader."
----------
It doesn't see if he's righty or lefty. He had some decent point totals with San Jose, but seemed to be more defense-focused for Colorado. His +/- seems good aside from 2008 (-21).

I'm sure his durability was one thing that appealed to this year's injury-besieged caps -- Hannan has played in at least 75 games each season since 2000, almost a Cal Ripken-like streak.

Posted by: blackjack65 | November 30, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

At least they have 6 NHL dmen now - Sloan is no good.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 30, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Still plenty of space left. Flash and Hannan's prorates are approximate.

Ovechkin (2008-2021) 9.538
Neuvirth (extended 2011-2013) 0.822
S/T 2 Goalies 1.644
Total 24 Players 57.480
Cap Space 59.400
Available 1.920

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 30, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Doh. Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1781) says Shannon is a southpaw (left-handed).

Posted by: blackjack65 | November 30, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Hannan had a NTC so he must have waived it to come here.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hannon was leading Colorado D in PK time per game so he will help out improving PK. He also is a guy that Caps have been interested in (at least through rumors) for a while now. I remember two years ago during the Nylander saga that one of the rumors of the time was the Caps were going to trade for him back then. He is left handed for those asking.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess Hannan had a no-trade clause that he waived to come to the Caps.

My guess is that Sloan will end up staying on the Caps as the 8th D-man/14th forward. IMO, that is a good role for him. As much guff as he gets on here, he does fit that role pretty well.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Bye Flash - won't really miss you, especially along the boards during the playoffs!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 30, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Hannan will be off the books at the end of next season, and the Caps can let him go or resign for less than his current contract. But he has size and his numbers from San Jose when they went to the playoffs every year are good. The Avs are rebuilding so numbers are not comparable to the Caps.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 30, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Here's my prediction for pairings:

Green/Schultz
Alzner/Carlson
Poti/Erskine and Hannan (until Hannan solidifies his spot)

That's a pretty solid defensive core and Hannan has a LOT of playoff experience. I think Sloan will probably be put on waivers because Fahey as a call-up seems to perform better than Sloan. Sloan is on the IR so he won't be moved yet. My guess is he will go from IR to waivers.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 30, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Oops. I have MP instead of MaJo. That's about a $200K upper.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 30, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

so does this mean no more sloan?!?

Posted by: _stevo

Of course not! Every team needs a whipping boy. With Flash gone, the Caps are dangerously thin at that position. Sloan is core now!

Posted by: ablake70 | November 30, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I guess Hannan made the All-Star team in 2003-2004. He also has a good amount of playoff experience. He has played 73 playoff games.

I guess in the 2003-2004 playoffs he played a large role in shutting down Peter Forsberg when Hannan was on SJ and Forsberg was still on Colorado. (I got this from Wiki so I'm not sure how accurate it is).

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

ok guys so what are we thinking for lines as a result of this trade?

How about:
Green / Schultz
Alzner / Carlson
Poti / Hannan (possibly 2nd pairing)

Erskine as 7th (though I think he could be a 5,6)

Posted by: PSD1 | November 30, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

We still have $2.3M in cap space after the move. Hannan can play top 4, thats what he's been getting in Colorado. The deal makes sense for both teams. Colorado has been struggling scoring, and they just made two trades in the last week to add D so Hannan was expendable.

Posted by: ThePat | November 30, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

The Caps gave Flash every chance to succeed, and he did to an extent. The Caps are flush on scoring forwards and Flash is one of the literally weakest forwards of the bunch. He does not play the PK, he blew it as 2nd center, and disappears for long periods of time. When he gets hot, he is good. That kind of streaky, mediocre defensive play forward is not necessary for the Caps looking for a Cup. A tough defender, they need that.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 30, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | November 30, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

And they just lost their leading scorer for at least a month

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

ps. looks like Xmas came early here for a bunch of CI Caps fans.

I personally liked Flash and I think he'll put up good points numbers in COL, but I welcome the upgraded D (especially given the Caps lack of depth there as exposed by injuries)

Posted by: PSD1 | November 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Here is a report card from an Avs writer of Hannan after last season.

He sounds like the type of D-man everyone has been clamoring for.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

sgm3: Good point. As the 23rd player on the roster, Sloan can fill two roles in an emergency. Of course, they could waive him and bring up AGordon and then recall Fahey as needed.

Final available cap space btw with figures updated from above is 1.7. That leaves enough to get about $7M worth of players at the deadline. That's plenty.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, could this be the trade that finally brings home.....

Cstanton back to the boards? =)

(you all thought I was gonna say brings us the cup...got you good)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't one of the players or refs in Slapshot or Youngblood named Hannan? Whatever, can't be worse than having Flash for another playoff run. To all of you who thought Flash was BB's untouchable boy, oops...

Posted by: kkd76 | November 30, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Flash is worthless...terrible in the playoffs...Im all for this move...we need d-man depth...

Posted by: SA-Town | November 30, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Nope, one of the referee's names was Hannan.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 30, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

ThePat: My figure of 1.7M in remaining cap space accounts for Alzner's bonus in full this year. You really don't want to run over and have to pay next year.

BTW, I'll bet Hannan wouldn't've let Staal score the other night!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 30, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI,
Well played sir......well played!

Posted by: j3rockstar | November 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

this is a fantastic move by gmgm. flash is too inconsistent and we needed a true defenseman.

Posted by: asdffdsa1 | November 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Also, it looks like GMGMs decision to re-sign Flash was a very good idea. Instead of letting a commodity go, GMGM held on to it and used it to acquire what the Caps needed. That is called a good use of assets and good planning. In addition, doing this now instead of before the season saves the Caps some cap room which will enable them to make another move(2nd line center?) later on.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

How does GMGM manage to always surprise us...I mean first it was Vancouver and Bieska, then the Kings were part of the rumor...but out of nowhere we get a trade with CO! I think he does it on purpose.

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

LOL and capscoach already making Avs fans uneasy as she already posted on one of their sites. =)

Not to mention those guys have less clue about Flush than some of us did about Hannan....and I quote "Fleischmann is Really good into faceoffs". BWAHAHAHAHAA

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The Avs fans think that got a steal for a guy who will score 25+ goals a year. The Caps system last year emphasized scoring more than their opponent. This year they are emphasizing defense, so Flash scores less. On a team desperate for offense and has a lot less offensive talent, Flash scores less. While he is not a Chris Clark type player, like Clark, his numbers will go down now as the top offensive guy on a team that is offensively challenged.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 30, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Our team just became stronger and more well-rounded. Thank you for pulling the trigger on this deal GMGM.

Posted by: sca187 | November 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

If the salary cap is going to go up next year and we need that $850K to make another move down the road then yes Im all for it being carried over to next year.

I also agree with you, I believe Sloan will be sent down in the next 10 days and Andrew Gordon will be called up. Laich will start to play some C, when Boyd Gordon/Steckel need a break. Or at least thats what im hoping for.

Posted by: ThePat | November 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

To all the GMGM haters-would you like ice cream with your humble pie?

Posted by: AADCDERM | November 30, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Even though Flash hasn't been playing well I will miss him.

I just hope this is an upgrade? Anyone know this kid Hannan? What does he bring?

I will check back later today to see what you all have to say about the deal.

Posted by: ekbinion68 | November 30, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

If anything is going to happen it will happen today because I am in a meeting all day and will have no access to internet.

Posted by: PhilR | November 30, 2010 8:28 AM

Nice prediction. Should be in more meetings!!!

Posted by: instinct227 | November 30, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

Hmmm, about $7M in pro-rated cap room at the deadline. That seems just about enough to fit Brad Richards in. Coincidence? Maybe GMGM has a well thought out plan here.

On Sloan, like you said, he is a perfect 23rd man who can fill in on emergencies at either forward or defense. If a forward is needed for more than one game then you call up either AGordon or MP or Beagle.

Also, the loss of Flash will likely create more playing time for DJ King as he has now moved up from 14th forward to 13th.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Watch out tom, SAOTI's prophet skills keep growing stronger. Kinda freaky...

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking that the video was fairly only because none of the guys had their staches and I wouldn't think Knuble would be able to put the gun against his face with his broken jaw.

Of course you could be right and very good at looking for clues.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

Not buying this. GMGM could have used the money he spent on Flash to get a defensemen (Mitchell) or a scoring line center during the summer. I will give him credit for salvaging the situation.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 30, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about this. The Caps are pretty good right now. I've always liked Flash and I'm sorry to see him go. He had a tendency to come through in the clutch.

I don't like to fix anything that isn't broken. The Caps are headed for the President's Cup just as things are, and the only thing we lacked last year was a healthy and competent goalie. That's the only thing I might mess with our chemistry to get right now, and that's not happening.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | November 30, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I go to a meeting and miss the news I've been waiting for all week. Good news though. Can I meet your people, poker?

Posted by: nicety251 | November 30, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Even with signing Flash, the Caps had the cap space and money to sign Willie Mitchell. They decided the two-year deal the Kings gave Mitchell was too large and too much of a risk given his injury history.

The Caps did not want a large deal going over into next season. They wanted flexibility.

Also, what scoring line center was available this off-season?

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

the team building activity was before the final cuts in september i believe. MP and Andrew Gordon are in the video.

Posted by: ThePat | November 30, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like ablake70 is an offically licensed Goat's Blood vendor. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

To all the GMGM haters-would you like ice cream with your humble pie?
----------------------------

LMAO who died and made this guy into a Pronger?

Be honest, you've never heard of this guy till today and neither have I!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 30, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Glad they got rid of Flash. I hope the new guy does what he's supposed to do.

Posted by: futbolclif | November 30, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm..........an intriguing pickup. Who does he pair well with? Does the Alzner/Carlson duo split up now? It'll be interesting to see how the D pairings are shuffled in the short run. I think the Hannan addition provides quite a few more defensive options than were available just yesterday.

Posted by: prestoj | November 30, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prestoj | November 30, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Then it was just a circumstancial sign...and an eerie coincidence. :)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

You are right, until today I really haven't heard of Hannan. But from what I've read about him by the Avs writers and national writes, he seems like a very good acquistion. He is known as a stay at home, physical, defensive defenseman.

No, he is not as good as Pronger. But it doesn't mean he isn't good.

The Caps have upgraded their defense in talent, and maybe almost as importantly, they have upgraded their defense with a veteran defenseman with over 70 games expereince in the playoffs. With all the youth on the Caps, that can be very useful.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

So how will the forward lines look now without Flash?

Posted by: kevin91491 | November 30, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Defensive-minded guy, gets a lot of minutes and never gets hurt. Very nice. We need D way more than we need O.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | November 30, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | November 30, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell wanted two years and the Caps only wanted 1. It didn't matter if we had Flash or not there because it was about years not cap space. And for second line center there were some available who might have fit (S. Koivu) but he wanted to stay with the Duck and Selanne. Who else was there at center that wasn't already signed by thier own team Olli Jokinen, yeah he was a guy we needed (scarcasm overload) or Mike Comrie he is working real well in Pittsburgh (rolls eyes). Other then the high priced D that the Caps didn't want because it would tie up a lot of money for a lot of years there wasn't much out there which is why everyone was really hoping for Mitchell. With this trade we got someone who is not much worse or better then Mitchell (from what I have read really haven't watched much of Hannan) and we got him for only one year which is what the team needed.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

the bottom line to me is that, flash was expendable because we have lots of forwards. When he was playing well, he scored but he was missing for long periods at a time.

We needed a veteran d-man and we got one. one with lots of playoff experience. we needed that.

only time will tell if we have someone that fits in with us and contributes positively or not.

Posted by: natresgroup | November 30, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@JOKE, read up, some posters have watched this guy: pokerface1208 and born_rpm. I have not seen anyone post Pronger, besides you. Most posters seem happy to have a solid defenseman for what they see as a libility, Flash. You seem to love to over react. I can't wait to see what you post in response.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

ADIÓS Flash!!!

Posted by: riceldi | November 30, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely love this deal. Hannan will be a nice addition to the d corps. I am especially looking forward to Hannan decking Crosby/Briere/and anyone else who wants to pitch a tent in the crease.

Posted by: robostop10 | November 30, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@prestoj

My guess is that he plays with Poti. But I guess it is possible for Hannan to play with Green(having a more physical D-man with Green could be useful and could protect Green more) and then have Poti and Schulz be the 3rd pairing D. With all the criticism of Schulz and Poti, that would still be a very good 3rd defensive pair.

I think Alzner and Carlson will continue playing with each other. No need to break them up.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Great move, we only take on about 2 million toward the salary cap so we have some room for deal later this season if needed. Hannan isn't a flashy player, he is hard nose hard working guy. Physical and isnt affraid to mix it up.. He is above avg defender, and can skate. Just what we needed. Great move by the Caps..

Posted by: CapsBaby | November 30, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

hey JIMBO,

some of us were excited about Joe Corvo last year too, how did that turn out??

Posted by: joek443 | November 30, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

guys...We wanted Mitchell...he didn't want us.

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

So how will the forward lines look now without Flash?

Posted by: kevin91491 | November 30, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

About the same as they were two games ago when Flash a scratched.

8/19/28
21/90/22
25/15/16
10/39/26

or something along those lines depending on if we have Semin and Ovechkin together or not.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

So I don't know much about Hannan, and what i've read on here seams to range from he's amazing to he's about as good as Erskine with not much in between.

Would anyone say that this guy is about as good at defense as Flash was a offense? I guess that would make him a somewhat uncomfortable top four/top six lock. If so that's really all we could ever hope for, none of us thought we'd get a Chara/Pronger caliber stay-at-home defenseman, but a decent stay at home defenseman should make a difference.

Posted by: dcfury | November 30, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Why are people even talking about Mitchell he is injury prone... We didn't get him so who cares. This move makes the Caps a better team botton line. This guy is a rock and never gets hurt. Avg like 78 games a year. Pretty damn good...

Posted by: CapsBaby | November 30, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I was NOT excited about Corvo because the Caps needed gritty, mean, S@H, shot-blocking blueliner. Corvo was a poor man's version of Green/Poti in terms of puck moving and offense, but weak in his own end. And yet another non-sequitor: Who brought up Corvo? You drop obvious names like Pronger and Corvo, but not comparable players to Hannon. I hope the guy works out, but I'll wait and see. I have been calling for a Flash for gritty, S@H defenseman all summer and fall, so this makes me happy.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 30, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope that this trade will now allow for Fehr to get a chance to get some 2nd line minutes and work on getting his game back. No Flash...No Problem.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

GMGM Lives!!!!!!!!! We'll see if Hannan is the guy we need.

But, sonofahorse - we got a veteran D-man and got rid of Flash.

How's the talent now?

Posted by: CF11555 | November 30, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"@capscoach

Posted by: pokerface1208"

---

Scott Hannan and Lidstrom should not even be mentioned in the same paragraph, let alone the same sentence. Seriously.

Posted by: stevie7 | November 30, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@dcfury

Here is a report card of Hannan from an Avs writer after last season.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@ DCFURY

Hannan and Erskine play very similar styles of hockey. Hannan is just an all around better player. He is better on his skates, and pretty good with the puck. So take Erskine and you get the same type of game with Hannan just better all around...

Posted by: CapsBaby | November 30, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I wanted us to sign Hannon when he was a UFA a few years back. I think this is exactly what the Caps need. He isn't a guy you bring in to win you a championship but he compliments a team like ours well and will make us more sound at D. Good trade GMGM

Posted by: Phishhead311 | November 30, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

maybe they can throw in Sloan to go with Flash

Posted by: heathdog1119 | November 30, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Flash!

Posted by: guer_j | November 30, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, last I checked, Mitchell was on LTIR with injury and had missed like 8 games.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 30, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

i can now give up on my dream of creating a CI id of: wtf_t_flash

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

With Flash gone, will Mathieu Perreault get the call.

Posted by: instinct227 | November 30, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@joek443:
As an FYI: I do believe a lot of people on the message boards were clamoring for GMGM to sign Hannan the year that Colorado gave him his 4 yr deal.

I was not on that bandwagon but am certainly happy to have GMGM use a expendable/hardly producing/heathy-scratch player like Flash and turn him into a D-man like Hannan!

Hannan's particulars:
23GP, 0G, 6A, 6Pts, +1, 6PIM's, 26Hits, 18:37 Total ice time, 3:21 PK Ice Time

the only concern is that he's been on ice for 12PPGA and 30 Total GA in 23 games... by far the highest for both categories on his team!

Colorado was 26th in the NHL on the PK at 78.3... but the most important question is:
Was he the reason or was it the system?

Time will tell if this is good move but I give GMGM Kudos for using Flash to find s potential solution to the D issues (however big or small they may be)!

I will reserve judgment for after the first round of the playoffs!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 30, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Glad I don't have to hear the name "Toe-Moss" anymore. Toe-Moss Fleishmann

Posted by: LloydChristmas | November 30, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Great trade for the Caps

Posted by: Mike4169 | November 30, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Woo hoo! Glad to see Flash gone; high hopes for a durable D-man. Lotta money, but it's short term.

I've got a sense that Bruce will just sit a different D each night for some time. Erskine's proved his worth this year.

Finally an extra D. Seems like great news for sure.

Posted by: Justafan | November 30, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Can we go a single thread without compairing someone to Lidstrom?

Also Willie Mitchell has already missed 10 games and has .3 hits/game and 1.2 blocks/game. Hannan hasn't missed a game and has 1.1 hits/game and 1.6 blocks/game. Looking at that I would rather have Hannan then Mitchell anyway. Even last year Hannan had 67 hits (.8/game) and 144 blocks (1.8/game) while Mitchell had 32 (.7/game) and 79 (1.6/game). So even last year on a per game basis Hannan was better in the defensive numbers then Mitchell. So you want to compare him to someone you can say he is a less injury prone slightly better version of Mitchell.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

go to nhl network. nhl live is gonna have GMGM next. it's 1:45 on the east coast right now.

Posted by: natresgroup | November 30, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Actually, joek443, I had heard of Hannan before today, and liked what I saw of him when he was with the Sharks. He's tough, physical, moves the puck out of the zone well, and can skate. I haven't seen too much of him since he's been with the Avs, but, all things considered, I think GMGM did pretty well in getting him for Flash straight up.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | November 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Hannan was selected in the first round of the 1997 NHL Entry Draft, 23rd overall, by the San Jose Sharks from the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL. Hannan made his professional debut at the start of the 1998–99 season with the Sharks, playing in five games before returning to the Rockets for his last year of juniors. Hannan then split the 1999–00 season, his first full professional season, with the Sharks and AHL affiliate Kentucky Thoroughblades.
Hannan became a mainstay on the Sharks blueline from the 2000–01 season and evolved as an effective, gritty shut down defensman, earning selection as an NHL All-Star for the Western Conference in the 2003–2004 Season. Hannan emerged as a premier defensman during the 2003–04 playoffs gaining praise for his performance in shutting down star center Peter Forsberg in the conference semi-finals win against Colorado. Hannan played his 500th NHL game at the end of the 2006–07 season in a 4-3 loss to the Colorado Avalanche on March 18, 2007. On July 1, 2007, Hannan signed a four-year, $18 million contract with the Colorado Avalanche. He has since worn the alternate captain's patch for Colorado on multiple occasions when the usual Adam Foote is unable.

Posted by: nativedc | November 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3, icehammer

Lombardi was one UFA center available this summer. I know he's injured now, but this could very well be Backstrom. Who would be his replacement? Mojo is playing well right now, but he is still an unknown.

I think this was a good trade. The Caps needed a Dman in the worse way, the Avs needed a scoring winger for a few weeks. Spare part for spare part. But I don't believe Hannan was GMGM's #1 target before the summer. And I don't think he re-signed Flash to dangle for a dman. They had hoped Flash could play center and it didn't work out. Remember, GMGM could have gotten Hamhuis for Flash in February, but didn't. GMGM is a bargain shopper. I hope it works out and I hope there is another trade in the near future.

@SAOTI

3 parts goats blood, one part kool-aid.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

i can't wait to see how long it takes BB to turn him into a puck moving high scoring dman!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

As one of Flash's frequent critics, let me be fair to him for once. He was traded not because he's a bad player or a bad guy, but because he just didn't fit. He is fundamentally a wing/sniper, but the team needed a solid center. It was not Flash's fault the team lacks a true 2C, and he became the square peg in the round hole. With Ovi and Semin, Flash's only chance was on the third line. Given the nature of Flash's game, that meant the third line had to be a scoring line, not a checking line - not a recipe for playoff success.

This trade sets the table for the forward lines as much as for the d. I think Semin will move back to the second line for the playoffs, since there is no one to go to the crease as necessary to score playoff goals, if he and Ovi are on the same line. The team still needs a solid veteran 2C, but failing that, I would move Laich there. That would allow MaJo to be the 3C, which I think is his natural, long-term slot. He has scored a couple goals lately, but he is just not the offensive talent needed to center Semin. Majo and Chimera provide a lot of speed for a checking line (Chimera needs to get more physical though).

Now if GMGM can come up with a solid 2C, I think the team is set to make a serious run in the playoffs.

Posted by: zmega | November 30, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

It also makes sense that now we can afford to let our Potis and Greens, who seem to have nagging injuries and we are getting them back as fast as possible to avoid keeping Sloan in there too long, can now take the needed time to heal properly.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@dcfury

I'd say he is better than Erskine because he is a better skater and less likely to take himself out of a position to land a hit. In my opinion he is a very solid 5 or 6 and a decent 3 or 4. His skating and anticipation are probably not good enough to pair him with a poor skater or purely offensive minded guy. I'd say he'd be a really good d-partner for Poti.

Don't expect a world beater, do expect a solid defensive d-man whose effort level is good. Hannon's current contract is probably over-paying him by a fair bit but this is a nice boost for the Caps blueline. Caps fans, including myself, should be happy with the upgrade after this guy settles in with the team.

Give him a little time before you judge him. He'll need to learn the team's style and his new teammates tendencies and preferences.

Posted by: born_rpm | November 30, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Great trade for our purposes this year - Hannan is a clear upgrade from Sloan/Fahey, and that's the main point. We traded from a surplus area (wingers) to address a deficit (NHL-caliber defensive d-men). The Sharks are my "other" team and was bummed when they let him get signed away. Anyway, as Tom said earlier, he definitely wouldn't have left Eric Staal upright on his skates in the last 5 seconds of Sunday's game.

I think pairing him with Poti is probably good (Poti's more of a puck mover) and won't disrupt the other pairings much. On the other hand, hopefully Erskine gets rotated in frequently, which he certainly should given his play this year.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | November 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

why was this so hidden on the WaPo page?

hoooboy. i hope this trade works out :)

Posted by: j762 | November 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Hannan's one I could never quite figure out - I do remember him playing Forsberg very tough that playoffs, and in era, that was indeed a very tough assignment to draw. Which he seemed to handle well, or at least as well as could be expected.

BUT: I watched him a fair amount in his time at CO early on, and was not overly impressed. I'm not sure if he's lost a step, or what - but he definitely was, by no means, any type of "shutdown d-man." Not by a long shot. Whoever compared him to Lidstrom above, in any way shape or form, has clearly never seen the guy play. At least against good competition, he usually seems a half-step behind the play.

Now, some of this could be mitigated if he's paired with a Green or Carlson, someone who can really move, I suppose.

Around the league, I have to think other GMs must be wondering if that really was the best GMGM could get for a young, proven point producer, even if they don't say so publicly.

And Flash will by no means be counted to carry the sole offensive load in CO, whoever said that - ever heard of Paul Stastny? Or Duchesne. Or Liles.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface1208...."Hannan is far better than Erskine in every aspect of the game (not putting Erskine down)"

EVERY aspect?? Hannan woulddnt last 2 seconds in a fight w/Erskine (and last I checked, fighting and physical intimidation are still part of the nhl).......anyway, I think Hannan would be great paired w/either Green or Carlson (letting Shultz or Alzner get motivated in the press box)...this a good acquisition by the team, but no way is Hannan worth 4+mil a year

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Just read some of the comments about Crosby's "slew foot" and how you think he's actually a dirty player. Are you kidding me? As much as I dislike OVI I would never call him a dirty player. And he's done a lot more controversial things than Crosby has. Just a little hypocritical don't you think?

Posted by: BigGameSid | November 30, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Great trade for the Caps. You cannot measure the value of Scott Hannan by his statistics. These words describe Hannan: steady, calm yet decisive, positionally superb, smart. Not a bruiser, but physical ... especially in the corners when trying to win the puck. Used by both Sharks and Avs in two ways: [1] shut down defenseman against the opponent's top forwards and [2] steady and positionally sound D-partner for young, break-in defensemen. He was paired with Vlasic in San Jose and Quincey in Colorado to help those guys get acclimated while covering for their mistakes. My two cents: do not be surprised if Hannan is paired with Carlson and they get tons of minutes against our opponents' top lines. This will allow Carlson to develop with a steady, positionally-sound partner to cover for him if he gets caught out of position.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | November 30, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Love the idea of Shultz and Alner's "problem" being motivation, and the presumption that some time spent in the press box would solve it for them, vermon.

HI-larious.

But you can dream, I guess.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 30, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robostop10 | November 30, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

don't hold your breath, that's not Hannan's style....he's a good depth pick-up, and we need him as recent injuries have shown....but if you're looking for a physical presence on the backline, we'd better keep Erskine in the lineup

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Fehr is next to go...maybe we can trade him for Getlaf

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 30, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Fehr is next to go...maybe we can trade him for Getzlaf

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 30, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevie7 | November 30, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
I'll give ya the BOTD here as I haven't seen your name (I've been gone for a while).
I certainly respect your opinion of Lidstrom (poss best d ever), duly noted.

That being said I've seen Hannan play (would even go so far as to say he would know my name if you mentioned it to him) for the past 7+yrs, the best comparison I can come up with that most Caps fans could relate to would be.... a more physical Calle Jo (very positionally sound, great outlet pass or 1st pass).

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Calle Jo?! Are you kidding - c'mon, I like Hannan and all but the guy's nowhere near the d-man CJ was, let's at least try to be realistic here.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

i still have no idea what the organization was thinking when they signed Schultz to his latest deal. They certainly could have spent that money wiser in the off-season and picked up any other defensemen on earth to fill that void. motiviation seems to be one aspect of his game that is lacking; thinks his reach can get him out of all situations....hit somebody already!!
that said, there was no way Flash was going to make it through the season, and was definitely on the block from day 1. good to see the front office making this trade sooner than later.

Posted by: erico31us | November 30, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

So, you trade 26 yr old 50 - 60 Pt player. Typically, 2nd or 3rd line player numbers. Point total will probably rise in Colorado, as he will get 1st line type playing time, including more Powerplay time. You get a 31 yr old 2nd pairing stay at home defender who will get you maybe 20 pts. Not a bruiser, with low penalty minute totals, but can play the penalty kill. This kind of looks like a salary dump by Colorado, but they are well below the cap. However, they will make a couple mil savings on the trade.

Posted by: bullyboy | November 30, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

More people thinking Schultz's "problem" = "motivation" ====> [facepalm]

He's not a pit-bull, people: beating him ain't gonna make him angrier/go after people.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 30, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"That would allow MaJo to be the 3C, which I think is his natural, long-term slot. He has scored a couple goals lately, but he is just not the offensive talent needed to center Semin."
Posted by: zmega | November 30, 2010 1:51 PM

You forgot to say YET. Have you noticed how fast this kid is adapting to the North American game? Within a year he will be Backstrom version 0.75, perfectly capable of centering the second line, not the third. In fact, if all goes perfectly, he may be ready in time for the playoffs this season. And that is why GM hasn't signed a center yet. Just have to wait and see how it goes.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | November 30, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"Just read some of the comments about Crosby's "slew foot" and how you think he's actually a dirty player. Are you kidding me?
Posted by: BigGameSid | November 30, 2010

@BigLameCindy:
Maybe you missed the "nut punch" game.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | November 30, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Great trade by McPhee. It addresses a main weakness. I've wanted Hannan on the Caps for a few years now. He's similar to Willie Mitchell but without the health concerns. I'd describe him as an up-tempo defensive defenseman. Well done McPhee.

Posted by: alanb1 | December 1, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

agree schultz and alzner need time off the ice, disappointed in alzner's play but he will improve and adjust, schultz is hopeless, grossly overpaid, should be in the A and Hannan better than Erskine in every respect, come on. Erskine is the ONLY crease clearer we have and we have to have one, wish we had two. Everyone seems to be assuming a stay@home D is a shutdown D, they're not the same thing. Reading about Hannan's surfer attitude reminded me of another caps D bust - Witt.

Posted by: collegehockeyfan | December 1, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse