Tonight's Lineup and an Injury Update

Without Chris Clark and Alexander Semin, Coach Glen Hanlon will have to be creative with his lines again tonight against Tampa Bay.

Forwards:
Ovechkin-Nylander-Laich/Bourque/Bradley
Fleischmann-Backstrom-Kozlov
Pettinger-Steckel-Gordon
Brashear-Laich/Bourque/Bradley

Defense:
Poti-Green
Jurcina-Morrisonn
Pothier-Schultz

Goaltenders:
Kolzig-Johnson

Update: Looks like Clark (lacerated left ear) is going to be back soon. Hanlon said tonight that the captain will travel to Florida and Tampa next week.

As far as Semin, I'm still just getting shoulder shrugs. Nothing is broken or torn in his right ankle, I'm being told, but he's not able to skate. So looks like he's going to be out for a while longer. How much longer? No one has been able to tell me.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 10, 2007; 5:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Practice Update
Next: Bourque Sent Down

Comments

Well, I'll still be wearing my red #28 Semin shirt tonight.

Get healthy.

Hey, Tarik, is there any possible way to get some fan support to Semin? I mean, where he'll actually see it?

Regardless of whether or not he can understand it, he should know that we're behind him in this weird/terrible injury.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 10, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

DON'T WEAR THE RED!!!

sorry. i think the red uni's are responisible for all that is wrong

Posted by: Lee | November 10, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope it's not a laziness issue with Semin not getting back to skating. I sprained my ankle pretty badly over a year ago and it still bothers me almost daily to some extent, but knowing Semin's sometimes lackadaisical attitude toward parts of his job, I really hope he's doing the rehab he needs to do.

Posted by: Chris | November 10, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Soft tissue injuries are sometimes take much longer to heal than fractures.
I think he rushed back into the lineup to quickly. (I don't blame the team)

We gotta learn to play around injuries. Hopefully the boys have taken a real boost from their performance in Ottawa.

Posted by: pmoravek | November 10, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Semin just doesn't want to play (sarcasm).

How could you say/imply he is lazy? Again, will go back to a post I wrote a few days ago, I'd love to know the conversations you have had with him, time spent with him or conversations with other players on the team that would give any credence to his "lackadaisical attitude".

As for red uni's, I hope that was a joke.

Posted by: Rob | November 10, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

As for this game, I think they played well the other night in Ottawa and I hope that wasn't just a once a month type of game.

If they can play that well one night, and then lose to a team like Tampa (who is miserable on the road), that would really give everyone plenty of fodder for the old fire hanlon bandwagon.

Posted by: Rob | November 10, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Semin should tape his ankle tightly and get his butt out there!
I have severely sprained both ankle's playing hockey, and it is going to hurt like hell on occasion, but it can be toughed out.(assuming he is tough)The chance of more serious damage
is usually nil if it is taped properly. He owes us some pain for the new contract he just recieved.

Posted by: TJ | November 10, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

TJ - I'm sure you skate with the same force as a NHL player. Of course, he just needs some tape. I guess the doctors and trainers must have missed the "tape it up" option.

Posted by: bob | November 10, 2007 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Bob, maybe you are not aware the it is Semin keeping Semin from playing, not trainer's or Doctors, at least that is what is being suggested. Maybe Tarik can verify this when he gets a chance.

Posted by: TJ | November 10, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Green spectacular on OV goal.

Posted by: mauree | November 10, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's think about this. If Semin was "lazy" would he really have come back in the 2nd game of the season? My guess is he tried to "tough it out" and found out that it was pretty easy to re-injure it, as well as the fact he wasn't able to do the things he normally can do on the ice or with the puck.

So now he is being smart and waiting for it to heal up so he can get back to being a rather prolific goal scorer. For anyone to suggest the guy is not giving it his all to get back to the team is absurd, unless you have some sort of inside information that you'd like to share with us.

Great move by Green to set up that goal at the 2nd of the second, by the way.

Posted by: Jeff | November 10, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

a real coach would have been all over the referee for that net moved on the caps attack

Posted by: mauree | November 10, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Great. Same team as the week before.

AO has an awsome GAA and Save percentages though.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 10, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Refs were abysmal in the 3rd period. Two nets off knocked off by TB players during Caps rushes, and Bradley was basically mauled on his breakaway. A couple of hooks not called on the Bolts as well.

It's not like we had a shot though after coming out like cement at the start of the 3rd. You'd think we could carry some momentum from a goal at the end of a period...

@Greg: yeah, any doubt about OV being a complete player is put to rest. He's out on the PK and can even play goalie in a pinch. Gotta love that kid!

Posted by: Raber | November 10, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

OK, the Hanlon Caps are back. Hanlon needs to go. He can't get his team to follow up a great victory with even a decent game. Don't blame the refs or injuries -- all teams have to play with inconsistent refs and injuries. Hanlon has to go and have gmgm should help him pack.

Posted by: Jim | November 10, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, what's your take on the Caps not giving Bourque (not just Chris, most of the prospects to come through the system) a real chance?

I mean, how does playing a young player for five minutes a game help him develop?

(I know he got 12 minutes of ice time in his debut... but why give him just five minutes in the following two contests when he didn't play bad to begin with?!)

Would appreciate your take on it, T.
/HD

Posted by: HD89 | November 10, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Referee can make mistake, but watching Hanlon not even protest a bit pissed me off big time.

Brashear is terrible. I don't know how you liked him last year Raber... anyway this year he's a disaster.

Hanlon: tonight is the perfect time to resign.

Posted by: mauree | November 10, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

1 of the net issues was valid. The one where O'Brien knocked if off (and Poti's goal got waived off) was crap. "Good call refs! Please try to focus on the game being played rather than wonder if it was a good idea to leave your keys on the seat of your car in the parking garage.

Posted by: Mike13 | November 10, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

About 1/2 way through the second period, the Lightning "adjusted". THis was likely due to a good coaching staff noticing that a) their players needed a "kick", and b) they saw some tendencies in the game/teams that they could take advantage of. They did. It worked. The bolts exploded in the latter half of 2nd period, and third period. The caps did not answer. They were pushed around all night, by smaller players, like St. Louis.

SO, where was our coaching staff? Not just Hanlon, but there are other coaches as well. Even if they couldnt "kick" the players up a notch to up the ante (before Tampa did), they certainly should have seen what was happening out there, and made some adjustments of their own. However, what we got was still Brashear on the 2nd power play unit. Ugggh.

I go to every game, and it is so disappointing. I listen to the radio show after the games. Tonight the locker room guy said, after playing back the Olie interview: "They are losing games exactly like they did last year".... I agree, the results and outcomes are the same. The players are different. THe coaches and management are the same. Hmmmmm.

Posted by: joeshred | November 10, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Are there 2 bigger jokes in this league than Brashear and Matt Bradley. They can pay me the league minimum, I will go out at the end of a power play and punch someone in their face, not only killing the rest of our power play (with faceoff in our offensive zone) but then give them a power play. What is That? And what does Matt Bradley give at all. When the net did get knocked off, his shot was deflected into the screen so it wouldn't have been a goal anyway.

Posted by: PA Caps Fan | November 10, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

OK, so Mo & Juice are our shut down D pair, Mo seriously gets under Lecavalier's skin and they were on the ice at the same time for a grand total of 34 seconds, it almost looked that Hugs was trying to keep Mo away from Vinny - that's questionable coaching, going away from what works; and what is up with having Pothier kill penalties

Posted by: Anonymous | November 10, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

how can someone be lacksidasical and be in the shape of an nhl athlete. people have talked about long-term ankle injuries. do we really want this to be a problem next season?

again, nhl playing for a career is not weekend hockey when the kids don't have plays, the boss doesn't want you to work late, and the wife is tired of cooking dinner. no offense but the practices that allow some people to "tough it out" do not set them up to be a nhl calliber player.

Posted by: jim | November 10, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO Hmmmmmmmm
Isn't it strange how, after a rare Caps' win, Hanlon NEVER MENTIONS Clark;s or Semin's absence. But, that's always the first thing ( EXCUSE ) out of his mouth when they lose.

Posted by: Puckguru | November 10, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree that the officiating was absolutely abysmal tonight, however, I don't think that's an excuse. I like Hanlon and I think he's done a great job with the team the last two seasons, but I think it's time for him to go.

At least the two goals are bright spots - Ovechkin's on a beautiful deke, and Fleischmann scoring his second good-looking goal in two games makes me think he may finally be coming into his own as the NHL goal scorer we all know he could (will) be.

Posted by: Murshawursha | November 10, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Here Mr. Leonsis, I work 50 hours a week, here is my hard earned cash so that I can watch your team play. I understand that 2 guys are hurt so I know that we won't have a chance at winning, let alone be competitive. I only hope that we score more than 1 goal so that we only lose by 3. Thanks for nothing gmgm!

Posted by: PA Caps Fan | November 10, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I can't believe it, but I've jumped on the "time to get a new coach" bandwagon. I don't find that much fault with the injury explanation. We are missing key players.

But, when the team is playing such uninspired hockey, sometimes a change is needed just to make a change. That in addition to some questionable coaching decisions (Brashear on the power play?), lead me to believe it's time to make a change. It's been said that teams stop responding to even good coaches after several years (a la Ron Wilson?). I like Hanlon, but it's time....

Posted by: Dezlboy | November 10, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

And to all those people who say to wait to fire gmgm and Hanlon. Look at the Flyers (who I can't stand) last year and the Thrashers this year. Around this time last year the Flyers cleaned house firing Hitch and forcing Clarke into leaving. We're talking about a Stanley Cup Winning Coach and long time GM there. It only took the Thrashers 6 games this year (after making the playoffs last year) to fire their Stanly Cup Winning Coach Hartley. And both of those teams are currently better than the Caps. What has gmgm or Hanlon done to prove they can make this team a Stanley Cup Contender let alone a Playoff Team. Nothing. And don't say Ovechkin, gmgm lucked out getting the first pick that year and everyone knew Ovechkin was the best player. Do it now and maybe we can salvage this season.

Posted by: PA Caps Fan | November 10, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

forget about the damn season already. It's lost. They can't even muster the effort after a good win last game. No momentum from the last game, nothing!! nothing!! Stupid penalty by Brashear! That guy has worn out his welcome in DC. I was in tonight's game and I saw the fans were into it until it was over. Such a waste of good crowd. we deserve better!!! Fire Hanlon already, damnit!!!!

Posted by: wanggo | November 10, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Pa Caps Fan, your are so right, I hate the Flyers more than the Dallas Cowboys, but you gotta give the Flyers credit, or for the most part, Paul Holgrem. They are a true hockey organization. It is time to lower the boom on Hanlon, now. I don't care who the Caps are missing, you still gotta compete, and this team seems to do it every other game.

Posted by: Pete Peeters | November 11, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

"We've talked about it enough the last couple of weeks," Kolzig said. "It all comes down to individuals knowing what they have to do and that's it. If you need somebody else to tell you to get motivated, you're probably in the wrong league."

Kolzig's comment after the game. Although the refereeing was not that great there was a noticible lack of hustle and motovation by some of the CAPS. I agree there's a learning curve, but you can't just stand around watching the other team play.

Posted by: LFR | November 11, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

"I don't care who the Caps are missing, you still gotta compete, and this team seems to do it every other game"

ahem. Every fourth game.

Posted by: keef | November 11, 2007 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Lee, I wore my white #52 at the game last night. The mojo must have wore off. We got our butts kicked up and down the ice.

Posted by: Steve R | November 11, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

isnt it strange how after a caps win, PUCKGURU is nowhere to be found?

Posted by: shmuckguru | November 11, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse