Tonight's Lineup: Caps at Lightning

Jose Theodore will start in goal tonight as the Caps aim to set a franchise record for points in a season, tie the mark for most wins and clinch second overall in the Eastern Conference. A win would give them 108 points and 50 wins.The banged-up Lightning, meantime, are expected to start Karri Ramo in goal.

The rest of the Caps' lineup and a Winter Classic update are after the jump:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Fedorov-Fehr
Fleischmann-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Nylander-Kozlov
Steckel-Aucoin-Bradley

Defense
Morrisonn-Green
Erskine-Pothier
Schultz-Jurcina

Boudreau Pumped About Fenway Possibility
Coach Bruce Boudreau, as you might imagine, was pretty excited when word began to circulating that the Caps are among the teams being considered for next year's Winter Classic against the Bruins at Fenway Park. There's still no official word on the Bruins' opponent, but that didn't stop him from weighing in.

"The first I heard of it was an hour ago," he said. "I have no idea where it came from. But as a hockey guy who watched the first three, I think it would be fabulous to participate in it. I think it would be a great call by the NHL because the most exciting player in the world is on our team and the most exciting defenseman in the world is on our team."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 9, 2009; 5:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update: Caps Interested in Winter Classic
Next: Capitals 4, Lightning 2

Comments

Let's GOOO Caps! Give the Caps the Winter Classic in DC! =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 9, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Original 6 team? I am *so* tired of this elitist concept the NHL pulls out of their asses every chance they get.

Posted by: Semvechkin | April 9, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

that would be so sweet. I'd go to that game too. GO CAPS. DEMOLISH TB TODAY!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | April 9, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Darn it! Where is Mike Mckenna?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

"The most recent report, from ESPN.com, is that Fenway is "likely" but that the Bruins' opponent would be an original six team."

That's RETARDED. So what if a non original 6 team played in it?! That's so biased. Buffalo played in it two years ago against Pittsburgh, not an original 6 team as well. The NHL would be stupid not to put the Caps in it. It's really their loss if they don't put the Caps in it.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I like those lines for tonight a great deal. I'd look to see scoring from each line tonight. Hopefully lots of OFFense from the OFF line (and several points for Ovi), and a Backstrom to Flash's-20th-goal feed!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

tsn reports it is Fenway and Bruins but no mention or any other team, original six or not

Posted by: billd2 | April 9, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask:
i'd like to see all the scoring from OV - 5 or 6 points tonight should get him past malkin

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

As long as they show the game on tv, I'm good to go. I can't get myself to even pretend to have any interest in a hockey game unless the Capitals are in it.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 9, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ: Malkin may have 5 or 6 points himself, he'll be feasting on the NY Islanders. :/

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan:
i'm with you - i'm more of a caps fan than an overall hockey fan. i've only begun to watch 'other' games with some interest this past week or two

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it. Why does Bruce think that Fehr is a good fit with Ovechkin. It's been tried and it hasn't worked. what's the deal? and secondly, why hasn't a guy like Laich been tried up with Ovechkin,?if he has been trying Fehr, why not Laich?

Posted by: Ov8fan11 | April 9, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Why Theodore against a weak Tampa Bay team? Wouldn't be better to give Varlimov his promised second start tonight and finish the season with Theodore? Then Theodore would have at least a five day rest before the playoffs. Now he will have a week and possibly be stale.

Posted by: MKadyman | April 9, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

i want to know why this game needs to start at 7:30 - i thought all the retired folks in TB get home from 'supper' by 5:15

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:
in my mind the isles are going to pull off another game like they had against det a couple of weeks ago - malkin gets zip tonight

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Chiming in on the 'Original 6' Winter Classic back in Buffalo now --- Ok, I live in Buffalo. We had the Bills stadium sold out, over 80,000. Sabres aren't an Original 6 team. And on my LONG journey home - I had to re-route through Boston. I spent a good solid hr at the airport and you'd never know Boston even had a hockey team much less a team who could win the Presidents (curse I hope!) this year. It was all Red Sox everywhere. Before my trip to DC I wasn't too hyped on any team with a semi-southern or southern local having a team or being a hockey town even. My judgement was clouded by working at RBC in Raleigh the 1st 2 years when no one showed up except to games vs NE teams. And time spent near the Panthers home in FL where they don't even show all the games on TV, doesn't matter your system/service. They don't even send crews. After my trip, which I extended through the last home game, my additude about where a hockey town can be is obliterated. Hockey is whereever the fans are, whereever a majority owner like Leonsis (sp?) knows how to market the team/concept to new fans. I was seriously impressed with the random people I talked to outside the arena. Other cities I've been to for games, including the hopefully moved or put out of their misery soon Islanders on Long Island outside of NYC (Sabres playoffs) which are smack dab in what advertisers call hockey central in the US.

I say a boatload of ice experts would be needed in addition to serious influx of cash from I don't know what source is allowed to do so, to maintain ice for the game - only due to location - I say DC is RIPE for it's own winter classic. Perhaps after the playoffs which Capitals are sure to go further, if wishes were fishes I try to be realistic I have followed Sabres for 10 seasons..., adding an all but handed to Russia gold medal in Olympics. I for one hope the NHL brass will stand up and notice that yes the city is not in the north but DC is MORE than worthy and ready for Winter Classic consideration.

Now I gotta get my multi-stream going online before Caps puck drop. But I wanted to thank all who responded to my posts while in DC and I plan if all goes well to be back for a multi-pack at minimum next year. I sat in 200's (out of town last minute ticket buying always seems to be the deal) but I wandered the 100 level and wow is that a nice arena!

Thanks again, you all rock down there! Lets go Caps! Talk soon!! (I had a dream I sold my house for playoff tickets last night... too bad houses up here aren't worth much!!)

Hannah in Buffalo - Loving the Caps loud & proud.

Posted by: hannah8 | April 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

If and when anyone finds a stream for tonight....please pass it along. Thanks you.

Posted by: jarresm | April 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

It is so weird seeing Verizon Center hockey and not having the Caps involved. Or even the NHL, for that matter!

Almost time for the game... this extra half-hour is a killer. :P

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

jarresm: I know you'd prefer a feed with video, but if you are okay with audio only, then to the best of my knowledge, both WJFK 106.7 FM and WFED 1500 AM are carrying the game tonight, and both stream online.

I would offer a stream from my cable box, but I'm probably going to be hopping in on the college hockey every once in a while, and the streaming application does not appreciate it *AT ALL* when I change channels.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MKadyman | April 9, 2009 6:59 PM

No. Let Theo play the last two games to get his groove for the playoffs.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Found on Kukla's Korner (http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/coach_boudreau_has_a_dream/), Bruce Boudreau is apparently an aspiring artist. Here is his entry into National Doodle Day, which is allegedly May 7:

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

yes - theo should be in net. and if half of the fans here get their way - he'll 'tweek' something and varly can be ridden through the PO's

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I ask you, who among us ought to care about the winter classic?

Gentlemen, we are about to embark upon a full-scaled assault on the Stanley Cup playoffs, a holy crusade if you will. The ultimate prize is at stake, and the odds for the first of many battles ahead are heavily tipped in our favour.

I only hope the boys refuse to get distracted, and keep their glorious objective in mind.

Godspeed lads, godspeed.

Posted by: greener1 | April 9, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

interesting note;

Washington has scored the most goals in the Eastern Conference with 260, but has allowed the third-most goals (231) by a team currently holding a playoff position.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

wtf?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

nhl giezers have got nhl sold on the original 6 concept too. their schedule is lousy with them.

Posted by: am_jim | April 9, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

slop bucket.

what a way to start the game...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Great way to start the game Caps!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

well. at least theo isn't in the playoffs atm.

Posted by: am_jim | April 9, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

"Let Theo play the last two games to get his groove for the playoffs."

Yup, he's in a groove. Hopefully he will have a fine game but usually when one gets him early he's struggled the entire game. But in that Nashville game he gave up a quick goal but had a decent game. Come on Theo! We're counting on you. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

that was a wake up call.

Posted by: abuddy2004 | April 9, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Come on, let's match their energy..

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Hannah, I live in Boston, that's simply not true. They might be the number four team in terms of the amount of attention paid to them, but that's because this city has the most storied NBA franchise that just won a title last year, a three-time Super Bowl Champion from this decade, and a two time World Series champ from a baseball team that had enormous following prior to that. But that doesn't mean they get ignored up here by any means, they still have a huge following, trust me.

Posted by: nhcaps | April 9, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope the boys realize it's a 7:30 start, not 8:00. :P

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

anybody got a link for this game?

Posted by: andrew23 | April 9, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Right now nothing is going right as far as other scores.

Canadiens losing
Rangers winning

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

@nhcaps

yeah but the patriots cheated on those super bowls

Posted by: _stevo | April 9, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Tonight is Don Koharski's last game as an NHL referee. Interesting, he's been doing this since 1977... that means he has been a referee since before half of our team was even BORN. Crazy.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

It figures that the Lightning already have two quick PPs.. Koharski is doing this game, though it's his LAST game! YAY!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

how are the caps looking so far?

won't be able to watch for another hour. =(

Posted by: jogabonito | April 9, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

2 minutes of 5 on 3... I like it. Now now now!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I haven't started watching the game yet and now I am afraid to watch it. I checked the live game and saw that we already had two penalties, 1 shot on goal vs. Tamps's 8 and a goal against us. What's going on? You guys are uncharacteristically silent.

Posted by: caraveli | April 9, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Power Play! 2

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

if they don't score here, God help them in the playoffs

Posted by: Moose33 | April 9, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

what did that guy do? however you spell his name?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Laich!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Laich makes it 1-1 after 26 seconds on the PP. Let's get another one.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

green -> backs -> laich

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Nice laich. doing the dirty work.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | April 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

caraveli: We probably have a bunch of people down at VC watching the college hockey. *shrug*

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caraveli | April 9, 2009 7:55 PM |

It's been hard to watch. They scored 30 seconds in on a defensive fart. We had to kill 2 penalties.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Thank God! I saw that Laich scored so I can start watching the game.

Posted by: caraveli | April 9, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

" I spent a good solid hr at the airport and you'd never know Boston even had a hockey .." Hannah

A good solid hour? WOW!

I was actually introduced to the game of hockey by a Bostonian while stationed overseas, I guess he was an exception.

Posted by: opita1 | April 9, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Thought they were starting to liven it up, but still waiting

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

GREAT PRESSURE.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Help!! My cable is out!! Does anyone know if there is a way for me to watch the game from my computer????

Posted by: capsfan01 | April 9, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice possession there Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

that was a solid 1-2 minutes of pressure in their zone.

we even switched lines during it.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

isles up 1-0 over the pens

Posted by: abuddy2004 | April 9, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Like to hear it Isles

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

So far no goals for Pit! :D

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Semin tries to finesse too much, he needs to just shoot the puck more, it's getting really annoying when he tries to curl and drag around everyone.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

PP again.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:06 PM |

he still ends up with the puck somehow though.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Rangers up 2-0 on Philly

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Green turned him into a pylon. Would like to get one here.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Good job Ovie. That's just an easy call.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

LOL.

wtf was that smaby?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Another power play; We're due...

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

So savvy Ovie...tell them to check the ice so you get another few seconds of breather.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

He just walked up and snapped his stick in half.

This isnt pond hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Another broken stick kills a goal.

How is that a trip he got the puck!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

He got the puck first.

replay please.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Ovi had a beautiful play. He took out the puck before the man -- that should not have been a penalty

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

These hockey sticks SUCK! Wide open net and stick breaks

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

And there it is..even Locker and Joe B agree.

Great call...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Son of a biscuit! Misses a goal on an empty net because of a broken stick, now to the box.

At least Jersey is down 1-0.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm out of town and have the road feed on TV. Sucks by comparison.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

outshot 8 zip to start the game, another characteristic slow start for this team, glad to see Laich get the goal, kid deserves it with all the grunt work he does.

Good to not see Poti on the ice, our 4th line had a great shift to get some pressure down low and then our top line dominated on an extended shift

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

malkin got an assist.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

OV needs to stop slapping his sticks on the ice when he wants the puck - he should just go woooot woooot like they do in basketball. hairline fractures of his sticks and then they snap when he really needs it. good thing he makes 9mil a year - i'd like to see some stats on who goes through the most sticks in a season

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

They picked it up, and managed to even up the score and the effort, but they've got several steps to go to get this one in gear. C'mon Caps -- a good (if somewhat atypical) 2nd period, please.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

malkin got an assist.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:19 PM |

Uh oh. Come on, Ovie, gotta get some points! That missed empty net from last game hurts! :/

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Ovi's not the only person who had a stick break in first period. So did Fedorov. I guess you can say that they don't make hockey sticks like they used to.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 9, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Sabres beating up the Canes 4-0; Cam Ward chased from the net after giving up them all.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Montreal sucks and with the way things are going right now I'm going to be really mad if the Rangers and Canadiens switch spots. I really really want the Canadiens.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I see that the Pens are tied after 1 period. I also see that NJ is down 1-0 after 1 period. And, while it does not affect the Caps' chances any, Carolina is down 3-0. What's the world coming to -- Carolina's losing? Well hope Carolina does not make it past Round 2 in the playoffs. (I would not be opposed to them dumping either Philthy or Pitt in Round 1.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 9, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

It was about time for the Hurricanes to have a bad game. Happens to everyone. Ward was making like his 27th straight start...of course Rangers were up 2-0 on Philly last time I looked too so no ground lost if results hold.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

If Carolina loses out (they have a tough schedule, DET and BOS i believe), and certain other teams play well, they could very well see themselves on the outside of the playoff bubble.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Canadiens scored

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Nice shot Sasha

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Another opportunity; Feds

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

that comment is wrong. It applies to the Habs and the other team besides BOS is PITs.

Boy, I dont know what I was saying. Carolina already clinched.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Laich is a monster tonight

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Laich getting it.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Laich with another one!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

2 for Laich!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Brooksie is so awesome, go for the trick!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

That was a friggin nice shot placement

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

GREAT PASSING BY THAT LINE!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

BRADLEY! :D

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Steckel! :D

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

4th line rush.

gold coin---brads--stecks

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

can you say 2ndary scoring?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

great goal but the play started by pothier who made a solid play to break that pass up

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Crazy. Those "cute" passes do work. hmmm ...

Posted by: opita1 | April 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I love this fourth line!

Posted by: tess2201 | April 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Pothier showing Schultz how you defend a 2 on 1. Great energy line goal.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Pothier's play was beautiful

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Or STECKS! haha they're playing "don't stop believin! Pretty loud cheers after each Caps goals by the Caps fans in attendance, I like. :D

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Nice effort Nyles

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Time for the big guns to put this game away, take all the drama out of it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

My post at 6:59 was predicated on the supposed "promise" that Boudreau gave to Varlimov that he would get two starts before the season ended. He has had one so it looks like the "promise" won't happen.

Posted by: MKadyman | April 9, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Guess what? Habs scored. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Dear Devils,

Please enjoy the three seed.

Best, Brooks Laich and David Steckel.

----
My office has a permanent box at Fenway, I'll be rocking the red New Year's 2010.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 9, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

MKadyman: Varly did get two starts after BB said that, he started against the Sabres.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I think Varlimov did play those two games. Buffalo was the first one.

Posted by: opita1 | April 9, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Good one theo

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Flash had his chance

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

They took Mo out of the box because Feds is required to put up at least 6 PIM's a game now...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone watching the Habs/Bos game?

Intense.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

what is with fedorov lately

Posted by: _stevo | April 9, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Good work NJ finally playing like you care when it doesn't matter.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Habs tied it up at 3

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

pitt up 3-1, malkin with 1 point still

Posted by: Moose33 | April 9, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Schultz clear the crease you big galoot. He's scared of moving anyone out

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

green with a great step up in the neutral on Konopka

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone worried about the number of shots we've been getting lately? Only 12 shots halfway through.. i think we're passing too much.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

You know we don't have to worry about what the Devils do tonight as long as we take care of bidness

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Candiens up 4-3.. do we want them now?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

not a Pothier fan but he's played well today, good coverup on his man Petty

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see Brian.

Aside from that one miss there, Juice has done fine tonight

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Rangers or Habs, either is good. Confident about both matchups

Posted by: Moose33 | April 9, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

we're controling the puck though, thats more important

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Mo that was as dumb as it comes...although anytime Ovie or Semin turns a guy into a pylon and the puck goes to an empty corner while getting held like that it's never called.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

The B's don't really have too much to play for tonight which gives the Habs a better chance to win. The B's should be resting guys for the playoffs.

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 9, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Having to listen to the Tampa guys on TV. On "what's ahead," they've got the last game and then The Draft Lottery.

Glad we're where we are!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

if they don't clean up these penalties then can't be confident about any match-up.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 9, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Who cleared that one?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Against the Rangers, we went 7 points to 3 (3-0-1). Against the Canadiens, we went 6 points to 3 (2-1-1).

And holy crap, that was CLOSE just now!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Green, key play there.

It is noted that Green plays on the PK and mans the point on the PP just like Chara does...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Fehr's looking alive on the No. 1 line

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: deadskin | April 9, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | April 9, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

every team takes penalties. That one by Mo wasn't a dumb lazy hook, he stood up Konopka who was charging down. I can live with that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Too much passing there, Kozzy shoot that backhand.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

oof, that would have been nice.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

@cs

It was pretty much textbook interference...maybe tired legs but at least turn and skate for the puck in his way so it's disguised a little bit.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Wait did Locker just say Mathieu Schneider is playing?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful play; Semin Bradley Ovi

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Lundy just had a flash of absolute brilliance.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

i know it was interference but i can live with an aggressive play like that over some of the really dumb lazy penalties this team takes - hooks and holds

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Better Semin...that was a nice blocker save.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

rachel216: Box score shows him with 14:54 of ice time through two periods.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

gotta say

Erskine/Pothier > Erskine/Poti

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Erskine had a fine series there. And on the O, Ovi badly wanted one -- way to work the end of the period

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

BU leads Vermont 2-0 with less than 3 minutes left in the 1st.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Ok, solid 20 minutes to lock up the #2 seed. I'd take an Ovie hat trick in trash time but not real concerned with it at this point. We've got what we came for if we can hold this score.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Watch the Lundy save.

hopefully they show it in the highlights

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

You said it DaveTCF

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

They didn't show it.

What the hell.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Flipped over to the Frozen Four for a couple minutes. Noticed all the new advertisements on the boards...one corner says 'Champions Play Here'. It would be cool if they could keep that one for the Caps' playoffs run.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 9, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Greg I though he was injured? Out for the season?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Schneider?

no, he has two goals.

markov was out for the season, schneider was out for a game or two.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Did Locker just say young and experienced?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil: one, not two, unless there's been a recent scoring change.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

just the video...and its poorly...

Posted by: deadskin | April 9, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

No, you are right. It's D'Ago with 2.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I heard initially that Schnedier was out for the rest of the regular season and the postseason. Then I heard he was going for a second opinion about his shoulder. I guess he's good to go for now.

I heard Markov was out for a few weeks but not necessarily the entire postseason.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 9, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

They must have decided that Schneider doesn't need surgery right now.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 9, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Their defense would've been hurting bad going into the playoffs without both Markov and Schneider.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

That's weird. I thought I heard one was out for the rest of reg. season and postseason and one would be out well after the 1st round would be over.. maybe I don't want Montreal..

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

"If you are scoring 40 to 50 pts in college, you are a stud." ~ Locker

Posted by: johnzilla | April 9, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Habs Bruins tied at 4, FLA now 3-2 up. Could be dodgy for the Canadiens.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

come on ov -- need 3 pts

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

No Locker BB switched Backs and Feds if you had noticed...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Semin has the puck on a string.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

can i get a stream for the game

Posted by: bleedred | April 9, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

get a goal already -- dominating this period

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

OV is not getting any points. :/

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

can i get a link

Posted by: bleedred | April 9, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

great period so far for the caps started by a solid opening defensive shift by Green and Mo. If they can just keep playing as assertively as they did on that shift this team would be so much stronger on the back line.

and the last shift by Kozlov was awesome! too bad he only plays like that once in a while, he's dominating when he's motivated.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Ovie doesn't have any points yet...but we're about to clinch the 2nd best record in the conference and get our 50th win of the season. Still things to be very pleased with no?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo win 5-1 in Carolina but it will be for nothing if the Rangers hang on to the lead they have now.

Florida wins 3-2 to move within a point of the Habs who are tied at 4 with 13 mins to go in Boston.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

GIVE OVE SOME POINTS

Posted by: johnzilla | April 9, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone taken a look at the penalty summary for the Bruins/Habs game?

23 penalties combined.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Fehr...open scoring chance, no dice. It's a broken record. If it's not some broken play bang it in he just doesn't score.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Fehr almost scored.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

nice aucoin -- needs to be on a better line

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers and Panthers are winners tonight.

Montreal and Boston are still tied up in the third.

Posted by: Terptwin | April 9, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

That looks like it probably stung a bit.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Rangers clinch and move (temporarily?) into 7th.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

aucoin is exactly where he needs to be, he benefits from the room his linemates afford him

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

If Montreal winds up getting two points, then all 8 teams are decided, and Florida is eliminated. The order would still be subject to change, of course.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

So FLA and the Sabres are done, right?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Rangers clinch and move (temporarily?) into 7th.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

not good news for the caps, the Rangers are probably the 2nd best defensive team right now and we'll have our hands full with them, they're just playing excellent playoff hockey these days, they're averaging about 35 hits per game and holding teams to under 2 goals

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

FLA still has a chance.

Habs need to lose

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Sabres are out; Florida needs Montreal not to get 2 points.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Fehr's chance to give Ovie an assist. He was open, you know what happened.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@Greg

I think even if Mtl gets 1 pt, they are still out. FLA loses in a tie breaker to them.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

lol what is up with kozlov? he just reamed Welch for about the 4th time this period into the boards. Welch must have done something to wake the beast

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

D'oh.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

And it's a game again...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Theo didn't have enough work...that surprised him.

Oh n/m it definitely was another ridiculous bounce goal.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

oh come on

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Pens score a 4th, Guerin from Crosby and.... no-one...just Crosby. Phew!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Hello? Time for the Caps to wake up! Stop coasting through the third period.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 9, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Caps, about 6 1/2 minutes to go!

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 9, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Good...Ovie to make it 4-2, then let him assist on Laich's first ever hat trick into the empty net.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Look at it this way, Tampa are more likely to pull Ramo now its closer.

Anyone think Ovi will be on the ice at the end if that happens??

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

He had an open net last time and missed it.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Bruce is mixing up the lines

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

The Caps have really stepped it up since giving up the Tampa PP goal.

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 9, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Our old friend Matt Pettinger gets the credit for the 2nd T.B. goal.

Posted by: Terptwin | April 9, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

In general I'd like to see Ovie and Backstrom on the ice when it's an empty net...they're the most likely to be able to carry the puck to the red line to dump it or take shots.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

malkin with his second assist.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

sol this period 13-4, Caps should have a few

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Malkin assists on the 5th Pens goal. 4 point gap on Ovie. I think that seals the Ross for Malkin.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Bruce wants to keep everyone guessing going into the playoffs.

Posted by: Terptwin | April 9, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Hang on Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Vermont is on fire...they have 3 2nd period goals and now lead BU 3-2.

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

CAPS WIN!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Green locks it up

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

lock it up.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

nice greener

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Caps Win and claim 2nd place in the East!

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

2nd place in the East - Check
50 wins - Check
Highest point total in team history - Check
60 goals for Alex - Incomplete

Posted by: Terptwin | April 9, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

#2 SEED! :D Best Caps team ever! 50 victories, 108 points!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and gents, you have just witnessed Washington Capitals history.

Ottawa scores late to send NJ-OTT to OT, although the outcome of this game is no longer important to us.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

well april looks a whole lot better than march so far

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not worried about the Ross, both guys are deserving in my mind. Malkin has had a fantastic year. Let's be happy for the best seasons (points wise so far) in Caps history. Ovie's slow start made it a mountain to come all the way back as it was, it's amazing he's leading the goals race by as much as he is. Ever since finally getting to let his grandfather go he's been scoring at a greater pace than anyone else in the league.

We know who the best player in the league is, we know what this team is capable of. #2 seed it's basically playoff time already, Game #82 is meaningless.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 9, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

2nd seed baby!!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Some good news, I think. Rangers are 2 points behind Pens, same number of OTLs, but Pens have a better record: Pens 3-1-2; Rangers 3-3. For some reason they played 5 against each other.

In other words, Pens, Phi, and Car in the 4-5-6 slots.

Am I right that Rangers can't get the 6th seed?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

50 wins baby, 108 pts: way 2 go Caps!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Montreal loses in OT, but get a point.

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 9, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

MTL pick up a point at least tonight and so are level on points with the Rangers. If they lose in OT they will have the same points but the Rangers have one more win and would stay in 7th.

Its tight.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

bos-habs game of the nite so far

Lucic is a man possessed and the \Habs have felt his wrath. Not fair for one team to have both Chara AND Lucic

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 9, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Scratch my last post. With the Pens win, no one can get to the 6th seed but the Pens. Its Phi Pit Car in the 4-5-6- seeds; and we've got the 2nd!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 9, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Is that MTL point enough for them?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 9, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan: Yes. See the next post.

Everyone else: There's a new post by Lindsay.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

eastern conference is set, just need to do a little housekeeping in the next couple days to determine the seeds

Posted by: Moose33 | April 9, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

another point for Aucoin -- way to go little guy

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 9, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Update, hadn't seeen Sharks points. Retract that Bruins Presidents curse potential... unfortunately.

So East games over, I think Capitals will play Rangers. What do you all think? Was hoping for Habs, love to see them struggle with Verizon slush - but with games left. I just don't see it with the game play I saw tonight. Penguins could go into Montreal and win in regulation - Philly could get it's revenge. Then we'll get the Habs but If I had to bet I'd say Rangers 1st round.

Everyone else see Theo just asleep on TB goals? Or was I trying to watch too much? I'm back in Buffalo so I don't get any post game help & Center Ice online can take up to 48hrs to post games to archive. In Simeon's defense (Fridays OT loss), Sabres played better than I'd seen all year apart from tonight in Raliegh. I miss Johnson...

Posted by: hannah8 | April 9, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

nhcaps: Like I said I was going from a short airport visit and friends I have in town. And I'm extremely myopic when it comes to sports, I only follow hockey and when Jetblue has Red Sox logos all over their stuff -- it was just weird to me. In our house here we're both Caps fans to varying degrees but we have a running bet and total toss up Bruins v Capitals all year. Then to be there after a week in DC where you saw Capitals everywhere, people stopped me walking in random areas on street post game to ask questions... it was just weird. I follow the East pretty obsessively, working into more West next season - LOVE Sharks and Coyotes potential. So just a comment I guess on the end of my big hockey trip to DC, with an unexpected stopover in Boston. Trying to give props to DC...

Posted by: hannah8 | April 9, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Just one more tonight - Comcast broadcast tonight? I HATE CENTER ICE! Game 82 for fun, rest Theo I say. FL is out and hard for Capitals this year. Trial by fire. Hoping for Comcast, not listed up here yet, Fox sport south AWFUL. Oh FL, make that Sunrise maybe - even worse. 1st time following out of town playoffs as 1st team remotely, sure hope I get as much Comcast 1st round as possible. It goes to VS then NBC right? (brain still fried from 16hrs at Dulles I think, forgive me) Night all, been awesome following Capitals even closer with the trip and you all here.

Posted by: hannah8 | April 9, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse