Tonight's Lineup: Caps at Red Wings

Jose Theodore will get the nod in net tonight at Joe Louis Arena and is expected to oppose Chris Osgood in the first of two meetings between a pair of hockey's most skilled teams.

Based on the pregame warmup, here's what the rest of the Caps' lineup should look like:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Morrison-Knuble
Fehr-Steckel-Clark
Laing-Gordon-Bradley
Scratch: Nylander

Defense
Morrisonn-Green
Poti-Jurcina
Pothier-Sloan
Scratches: Erskine, Schultz

Goal
Theodore
Varlamov

I'll have more after the game. (BTW, I'm not sure what I saw more of this afternoon. People walking around in Zetterberg jerseys or people walking around in Steelers apparel. The Steelers play the Lions tomorrow.)

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 10, 2009; 6:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore to Start Against Red Wings
Next: Caps Can't Hang on Against Red Wings

Comments

How about scratch Steckel and play Nylander?

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | October 10, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm so excited. LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 10, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh man -- I was first -- for the first time! And I didn't type "first!" (Thank goodness I was able to refrain myself). LOL!

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | October 10, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

wth is nyls still scratched, this is redic! seriously it's getting pathetic now

Posted by: capsfan387 | October 10, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I want us to play EXACTLY like we did for the first 5 periods of the season....

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

4th Liners!!!!

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

don't these hockey refs ever retire? how old is kerry fraser now, must be pushing 70... LOL it's a shame he has to wear a helmet and hide his perfect hair

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

not that i think puckdawg's idea of scratching steckel for nyles holds any merit but it is funny how the only players to ever get rotated in and out of the lineup are always the bottom 6 forwards and the bottom 2 defensemen. They're the ones to least effect a game.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 10, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Not to ask to much of him, but Ovie botched that one. Probably had 1/2 the net open and shot it right back at Ozzie.

Posted by: Raber | October 10, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I know it's hard to believe sometimes but the players on the other team get paid to make plays as well.

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Bears Update:
Bears at Binghamton...start of the 2nd...Bears lead 2-1, both goals by Alex Giroux. Bacashihua in net, Holtby backing up, Neuvy might play home game tomorrow depending on how he feels tomorrow at morning skate.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201

Thanks for the updates. So the Bears are currently carrying 3 G?

Posted by: ralCapsFan | October 10, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

ralCapsFan:
Yes. Once Neuvy is declared healthy (strained hip flexor), someone, probably Holtby, will be heading to S.Carolina.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

@tess

Yup...I had forgot that Neuvy is still on the mend....thanks.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | October 10, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I see Comcast has joined the ranks of those providing a useless all-the-time ticker. Too much advertising for their TV shows. Words, words, words. They are pimping the Shshvsky interview like three times every two minutes. Very distracting. And hyping the Phillies-Rockies game even though it was cancelled about 10 hours ago, weak. And you probably shouldn't have the score of the game you are watching in the ticker. It's behind most of the time and if you are watching the game on a late-night replay, you are likely going to give the final score of the game away to people who may not have seen it.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 10, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

TOO MANY PENALTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

COME ON PK, BAIL SEMIN OUT AGAIN!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

2nd intermission in the Bears game:
Bears lead 6-1. Second period goals from Andrew Joudrey, Steve Pinizzotto, Darren Reid, Kyle Wilson.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Holy moly. Thanks, tess2201 and GO BEARS!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 10, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Did Lisa Hillary just come from a funeral?
That blouse is a bad decision.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Semin needs to sit. These penalties are ridiculous.

Posted by: MyJobsMyCredit | October 10, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Sasha needs to watch himself. At least this time, it doesn't look like either was on purpose... but STILL! Jeez, Sasha!!!

20 more minutes, and it's a one-goal game. Power play for the first 1:50something of the 2nd frame... fresh ice. Let's GO, CAPS!

Posted by: irockthered | October 10, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Semin's fine. He just drew a penalty too, so let's see him redeem himself with a goal of his own, eh?

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Detroit seems to be on their game, especially Osgood after that soft goal. If we dont get on the PP and work some magic, I think we are done. Lets hope Semin can make up for his '08 flashback of taking dumb penalties. Ovie, while incredibly active and determined, appears snake bitten. He has had at least two opportunities that I have seen, where he would normally have EASILY scored. AND SOMEBODY PUT AN APB OUT ON THE '08 MIKE GREEN!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 10, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

B MOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

..seems like that should have an E at the end...

B MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

BMO baby!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ralCapsFan | October 10, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

OK....THIS IS IT....LETS GET IT IN ON THIS PP!!!

...where the heck is everybody?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again. First we get the lead, establish a momentum and then the penalties come one after the other. I don't mind it if we lose. They need a harsh dose of reality before they really stop repeating the same mistakes. I must say, though, Theo has been excellent tonight. The first goal was absolutely not his fault. He stopped the puck, what 3 times before they finally shoved it in? I don't get what the D was doing standing around and staring at it? Also shouldn't the ref have blown the whistle at one point?

Posted by: caraveli | October 10, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

caraveli -

15 minutes to go and you're throwing in the towel?

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caraveli | October 10, 2009 9:03 PM

agreed

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

no whistle shoulda been blown on the first goal. it was loose and theo kept with it for a long time but it was clearly lose before leino chipped it under theo. not much theo could do. and on the second goal he was screened hard. theo has been amazing

Posted by: capsfan387 | October 10, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

...uh...that Datsyuk guy...he's pretty good

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

5 minutes left in the Bears game. Now 8-1. Third period PP goals from Andrew Gordon and Kyle Wilson.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Feelin bad for Theo if we lose this one. He has played well and deserves a better fate.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, we just can't close the deal. Sort of like a guy who is always the girls "friend."

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | October 10, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

some of these phantom penalties being called in the NHL these days such as the one on Green just now are like debris cautions during nascar races... hard to see what the heck they're looking at.

it's truly SCARY to imagine how many goals Gretzky would have scored if he could have played in this era in which almost sneezing on a star player can result in a penalty.

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Bears game is over. Final 8-1.
Goals by Giroux(2), Wilson(2), Joudrey, Gordon, Pinizzotto, and Reid.
Bacashihua in goal.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Good game for a fan of the game. A bit disappointing for a Caps fan, but our boys played better overall. Ovie certainly got the point about playing both ends - great back-checking!

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Thought we played pretty good but we have to stay out of the box. As far as playing games with playoff caliber teams, if we get more than three penalties, we won't win the game. We need all 5 guys on the ice for at least a solid 20 minutes (1 full period).

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | October 10, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

joek443 -

I think Green sold that one himself when he put his arms up in the air as if to say, "Guilty".

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

outclassed and outplayed...stupid penalties AGAIN!!!!!

Posted by: JCB9 | October 10, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I think OV's having head problems. He needs to get a good practice in and then have a night out to stop thinking about hockey. His skills were fine tonight but his decision making was awful.

Posted by: Raber | October 10, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Theo did everything but score for the Caps..Can't blame him tonight

Posted by: JCB9 | October 10, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Did Lisa Hillary just come from a funeral?
That blouse is a bad decision.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 8:44 PM |
--------------------
Joe B's tie is even more hideous than Lisa's blouse!

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought Theo had his best night as a Cap.

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | October 10, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I am not a hapy camper at the moment. Figure the caps can make playoffs. Stanley Cup semi-finals -- highly unlikely.

If they don't shape up, Poti will be traded at the deadline. Pothier will be allowed to walk.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@Raber:
Sometimes I get the feeling that Ovie tries to do too much and then gets frustrated when he can't carry the team on his back.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 10, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Did Lisa Hillary just come from a funeral?
That blouse is a bad decision.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 8:44 PM |

I agree...UGLY!

Posted by: JCB9 | October 10, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The Capitals need to stop hanging out with the Redskins...

Posted by: Caps16Fan | October 10, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@UnleashTheCaps

Yeah, the boys can't stay out of the box. The question is: who will be the healthy scratches on defense on Monday?

Gee whiz, we now have a LOSING record.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Caraveli: "Also shouldn't the ref have blown the whistle at one point?" I thought so too, but then on the replay I thought not because Jose didn't have control of the puck---it bounced off his pads as he was falling over backwards. But I had a better angle on it than the ref, and I thought the ref would have blown the whistle had it not been in Detroit's house because there's no way he could have seen the puck. But, either way, that's the breaks.

Green's first penalty for holding was iffy, at best. Although Detroit didn't score during those two minutes, they did right after that. Penalty kills hurt the energy and momentum of our guys. Semin's high stick could've been an innocent mistake, but the next penalty was not.

Clark and Poti not looking good. Didn't see much from Backstrom tonight either.

But Jose---oh my! The guy was on fire. Tominfl---you were right that the Caps were going to play much better tonight. They looked very good, but Detroit's a very disciplined and talented team and it shows.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 10, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Raber - ? He was a beast tonight. 9 hits and paying attention to his defensive responsibilities. Just because he didn't find the net?

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

@Caps16Fan

True. (Somehow, I don't think our boys are going to make the trip to Carolina to do that tomorrow.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I, too, think Theo had a good game. Here's a thunk...on Monday, sit the worst Dman...Green! 2 penalties, etc. etc...not doing crap. Practice what's preached. Sarge has done better than Greener this season so far. I need more chocolate.

Posted by: CapsKH | October 10, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

We just couldn't hang with them....even with Theo on fire...stupid penalties. What's BB gonna do?

Posted by: JCB9 | October 10, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I won't comment on the play, but I want to thank atdhe.com for allowing me to see the game while traveling. I also will like to say that it was nice to hear a play-by-play guy and a commentator who could keep their talk about what was happening on the ice, other than one quick comment at the end of the game about Theo losing his son the talk was strictly about the game. THANKS!!! And by the way, these guys were NOT homers, they were very fair - how refreshing.

Posted by: hock1 | October 10, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I thought Theo had his best night as a Cap.

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | October 10, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

LOL is this Theo's first season as a Cap???

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan387

I guess if Boudreau ever wants to send a message to any forward, play Nylander in the guy's place. (Okay, I'm kidding.)

I do recall the time Nylander was the first line right wing (when Kozlov was injured and Semin was also injured). At that time, people were speculating that Semin was really being benched. Nylander at 1st line right wing was a total disaster (and Semin really was injured at the time.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Wah, wah, wah.... 5 games into the season and a bunch of you are ready to scrap the team. They played a much better game and obviously most of them took what coach said to heart.

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute...

Is that REALLY Mike Green on the ice or is he in his PLUSH loft? Could he have invested in a clone to play parts of the season so he can be fresh for the playoffs?

Hmmmm.....food for thought...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 10, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I liked what I saw of Tyler Sloan.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 10, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Caps will get their act together. This year's tough since they have no cap space for maneuvering due to the Nylander contract.

I'll be pleased with this season if the Penguins somehow do NOT make the Eastern Conference finals. (And to show the depths of my hatred towards that team, that would be true even if the EC Finals were to be Philthy against the Rangers.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

The cheap penalties are obviously a problem, but I am just as concerned about the inability to clear the crease. This was a big factor in two of the Wings' goals - multiple stuff attempts and a screen on a longer shot. Pothier and Poti are just not big and strong enough to move anyone out from the crease. This is especially a problem on the penalty kill. I give credit to Jurcina though - he sent one of the Wings in the crease airborne and was physical in clearing all game.

Posted by: zmega | October 10, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I wish they would sit Green. Unfortunately, I think BB is blinded by his history with Green, who has been ineffective since Easton quit making his "Stealth."

dccitizen1 is right about Clark too. What is up with that guy? I think I saw him get checked once and stumble around on the boards and that's about it. I think some big changes will take place this summer especially on D. I just hope we lock in Backstrom. Semin I'm on the fence about since he takes so many stupid penalties and gets hurt so often. Oh well.

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | October 10, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

"LOL is this Theo's first season as a Cap???"

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

{shruggs shoulders} uhhh no, it's his second.....

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | October 10, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

so it's really FOOLISH for anyone to suggest that this was his best game as a Cap, ain't it???

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Earlier this week, I had found a beautiful picture of Semin, Ovi, and Backstrom and made it my desktop. Since the Caps have been so unsuccessful since then, I have changed my desktop to something else.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | October 10, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

seriously, how long have you been a hockey fan? first you say this was the best game Theo played as a Cap and now Green should sit down?? LOL in case you haven't noticed this team barely has 4 NHL caliber D-men and Green is BY FAR the best D-man they've got. he plays more minutes than anyone on this team... who's gonna fill his minutes for the team? the tooth fairy???

Posted by: joek443 | October 10, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Too many of you look only at the obvious... did they score? Did they hit? Did you not see Clark break up several rushes, draw a penalty and start the rush that sent Bradley in which drew another. Clark, Bradley, Gordon, etc... are role players and need to be measured differently.

Posted by: gonchpup | October 10, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Amen to your comment on Penalty kill. It seems like so many times we have the penalty nearly killed but can't clear the crease at the end. Or have the penalty killed time-wise, as was the case tonight, but keep letting the other team having shots, like Detroits 2nd goal.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 10, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse