Tonight's lineup: Caps at Sharks

Michal Neuvirth will be back between the pipes tonight for the Caps, who have not won in San Jose since 1993 (when goalie coach Arturs Irbe was the Sharks' netminder.) Evgeni Nabokov, meantime, will get the nod for San Jose, which is tied for first place in the Western Conference.

The matchup pits two of hockey's highest scoring teammates -- Joe Thornton and Dany Heatley (98 points) and Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom (94). It also marks the debut of Jason Chimera.

The rest of the Caps' lineup should look like this:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Morrison-Knuble
Chimera-Backstrom-Semin
Fleischmann-Laich-Fehr
Laing-Steckel-Bradley

Defense
Schultz-Green
Morrisonn-Poti
Erskine-Alzner

Goalies
Neuvirth
Theodore

I'll have a postgame wrap later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 30, 2009; 9:00 PM ET
 | Tags: San Jose Sharks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green: 'I really wanted to be a part of that team'
Next: Sharks 5, Caps 2

Comments

GO CAPS!!!IT'S LATE GAME, PLS. WIN..

Posted by: newfanofcaps | December 30, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Go Caps! I hope to watch the first period tonight, and then the rest in the morning with the kids.

Prediction: Green gets a Gordie Howe hat trick to let off some steam.

Posted by: crooks_c | December 30, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Should be a great game tonight and a good barometer of where the Caps pair up with the Sharks. I bet Green's going to be fired up to play.

Posted by: snappytommy1 | December 30, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Whoa whoa whoa. Why isn't Theodore starting?

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 30, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@CapsXXVI

Guess you missed out on the last few games.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Rachel216 (where ever you are),

It appears your boy is now the Caps #1 goalie. Has the job by default since Varly's injured (and in Hershey) and Theo hasn't played well.

Of course, two solid victories against first place teams helped also.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

His last outing he gave up 5 goals (not all of them his fault), but I think it would be wise to get him into a rhythm after all that time off. I think Neuvirth and Varly are likely to get the nod (or nods) over Theodore the rest of the season.

Posted by: bassguy654 | December 30, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

This is a very good line-up. I love having Fehr and Flash on the same line. The 4th line is perfect. The 2nd is has some omph with Chimera, the first is going to have Knuble roughing them up with Ovi attacking. I love it.

Posted by: saintex | December 30, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Whew, good thing I took a nap, its finally game time.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Should be a good game.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

BIG TILT!

Posted by: nolanb | December 30, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Chimera on the 2nd line. Get ready for some magic.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

are they booing Ovie?

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

NEUVY!

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

holy neuvy! great save

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

That last shot is a goal on Theo.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 30, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

WOW....NEUVY!!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 30, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like they r booing Ovie. That's outrageous. It's their way of showing respect for his greatness.

Posted by: nolanb | December 30, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Nice backcheck by Chimera

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

why break up ov and 19?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | December 30, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Chimera on the 2nd line. Get ready for some magic.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

And don't forget, Chimera sounds like Charra.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 30, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

@capsfansince

why not?

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

NEUVVVVVVVVVYYYYYY!!!!!!!``

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 30, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

how many failed clearing attempts was that on the PK?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

why can these guys NOT clear it out of the zone when they have the opportunity?

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Are there any of the current Caps who were on the team before the lockout? I've been thinking but the only one I could think of was Chris Clark but when I researched it I found he signed in 2005. Anyone know the answer?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | December 30, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

how many failed clearing attempts was that on the PK?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse
--------
I counted 4

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

ok killed that one

noivy looks sharp so far

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Was that my man Tom P. out of position, forcing Laing to take the hooking penalty and then twice failing to clear the zone on the PK?

Posted by: zmega | December 30, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

oops

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I blame Theo.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 30, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

No surprise. San Jose has been the better team thus far.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

ouch. neuvy had no chance

Posted by: nolanb | December 30, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

that is the second time that happened and this time we paid for it. The left D takes the man right and the right D cant cover in time.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

now that was NOT a great line change - hello greenie!

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

No surprise. San Jose has been the better team thus far.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

We need to redo our lines. I know BB is anxious to use his new toy in Chimera but we need a line with Backs and Ovi on it. Weather he wants to use Knuble or Semin is up to him.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 30, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

classic mike green. trying to score by himself then skating back slowly and letting them score...

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 30, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

What's going on with the D?

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

SJ is earning it

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

SJ is dominant right now. We're being completely outplayed

Posted by: nolanb | December 30, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

or obi wan knubie - or some one

now WHAT?

OH crap

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Please, George Mcphee, trade Mike Green

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 30, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

one in the last minute of the period would be okay

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

ø yeah - green can't make team canada - why should he play for the caps? ø

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

that right there, sticks in the lane, its been happening all this period. SJ has been breaking up almost all passes and shots with there sticks.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Woah. this was a fast first period. I didn't realize there's only a few seconds left.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

meh

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Damn that was a long period. Almost 45 minutes.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 30, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

fairly dominant period by SJ.
we just got PUNCHED IN DA TEEF!!!

...lets see how we respond.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Bad, bad, bad 1st period. Everyone playing as individuals. Not crazy about the line shake-ups.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 30, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse
---------------
Not trying to take anything away from San Jose, because they're doing a great job of getting in front of Caps' passes but that said Caps need to make better decisions and find better passes or better shooting lanes instead of trying to force the puck through.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Between Monday night amd that first period, this team looks slow and like they don't care at all. Being totally outplayed. C'mon boys...somebody step up! Is nobody in that locker room upset they got rocked by an AWFUL Hurricanes team 2 night ago?!?!?!

Posted by: badkarma723 | December 30, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Where oh where has the Caps' offense gone?

Oh where oh where can it be?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Mess with chemistry and you can burn yourself.

Posted by: festus75 | December 30, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Bruce will do some line juggling in the 2nd

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I never make excuses ever for the Caps. in fact, I have taken my share of grief on here for defending calls by refs that have gone against the Caps in the past. HOWEVER, Green was hooked on that back hand saucer pass from Knuble and it wasn't called. It is what sent him flying into the boards also. No sure how Pavs was that wide open either way, but that hook should have been called.

Either way, the Caps got DOMINATED. That looked awful, and it could be 4-0 if not for Neuvy. There is still roughly a minute left on this PP, a quick goal would be nice. They better do something, it's 11:49 pm for me already and I have to get up at 8 am.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 30, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

We're looking like we did against Carolina.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Next game we play the LA Kings who we could not beat last year to save our lives. And now they're a better team.

Sorry for the pessimism, gang, but they're not looking too good here.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how long the trade after shock will be, but we sure miss Jurcina. We don't have anyone who can replace his size. The team speed isn't helping either.

I hope they pick it up. GO CAPS!

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | December 30, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@elicea

does a bear sh#t in the woods - LOL

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey GMGM, how's that trade and line change workin' out for ya? Worst period of the year...

Prediction: We will see Ovi/Backstrum/Semin togther for the 3rd period.

If Sharks can score quick in period 2 I can forget the game and get some sleep...

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | December 30, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@DevilsCapsGal

In answer to your question on pre-lockout Caps, the only ones left are Boyd Gordon and Alex Semin.

BTW, it looks like your "Backup" team is the best in the Eastern conference. While I'm no Devils fan, I was happy that they beat the Pens.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@elicea

How do you want to set up the lines?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, we looked AWFUL that period.

The Sharks thoroughly dominated us.

A shot off the post... an open net for Nichols and he puts the puck right into Neuvy's chest.

It could be a lot worse than 2-0.

And how about the inability to clear the puck early in that PK. Steckel then somebody else with plenty of time and space and they can't get it out.

Then Green gets a glorious scoring opportunity off a terrific Knuble pass (our best and possibly only real chance to score in that period) and somebody doesn't get back on the other end and boom, we're down 1-0.

Is that a forward's responsibility? Who should've been covering for Green?

Alzner with a clumsy play leading to the 2nd goal...

We'll need a serious turnaround to get any momentum going. San Jose is dominating every single facet of the game so far.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Varly has made a start or when he will in Hershey??

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | December 30, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75:

Yes I watched the Devils/Pens game earlier tonight - nice 2nd consecutive shutout of the Pens! Johnson started in goal for the Pens and he looked good only giving up one goal. Every time Crysby and Malkin go without a point is a good game for me!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | December 30, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable!!!

9 scoring chances for the Sharks in the 1st period alone.

There are games where teams don't get near that number.

I agree with one of the previous posters. This period was probably worse than the one against Carolina even though we're only down 2-0.

All I can think of to say is WTF???

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | December 30, 2009 10:33 PM

alex semin, boyd gordon, brooks laich, shaone morrisonn and techincally nyls

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

yawn - one more sharks goal and its into the arms of Morpheus for me

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 30, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

The Carolina game on Monday and this first period has given me serious deja vu to the Caps of a few years ago. I can't handle that again!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | December 30, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

San Jose is taking away the Caps speed. gotta start dumping it in.

Posted by: bigschu8 | December 30, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I am really curious if the meeting of the Caps brainstrust went something like this:

GMGM: We gotta break up that Ovi/Backy/Semin line. They score too much.

BB: Yeah, if we can get a speedster like Chimera,well jeez, we can change everything around, 'cauz we sure are not having a very good year so far.

GMGM: Right,it will be like training camp all over again, except the games count!!

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | December 30, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Cap'n!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | December 30, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see if it was Morrison or Morrisonn but one of them were responsible for not reading the play on the first goal.

Green was back in more than enough time as Laughlin just pointed out.

I'm assuming it was the forward, Morrison, since Green is paired with Schultz.

If our forwards can't read plays when our d-men pinch, well... they better figure it out.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Please, George Mcphee, trade Mike Green

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 30, 2009 10:40 PM

Off to the Doofus Brigade, gocaps01.

The 1st goal was scored on the left side. Green is right side d-man. Green tried to get back and cover left side. He couldn't make it. I have it recorded. Who is Green's partner? Whoever, the partner d-man was way out of position. On the second goal, Alzner let the puck slip by him.

Goals are half the time bad d coverage and half the time poor goaltending. Each of these goals was at least "mostly poor d coverage."

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Semin took one to the face.

Must capitalize here.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

oh my golly

be good on 5 on 3 caps

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Except Nyls was a returnee who went to another NHL team in the meantime.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

So I didn't have a chance to check CI before the game started and was floored by our line combos. Not sure what Bruce had for breakfast, but I thought why would you mess up all of your lines going into a game like this, against one of the best team on their ice?

On the evidence of the first period this experiment has not worked at all. Put Ovie and Backie back together. They were totally ineffective.

Posted by: ranndino | December 30, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

You can't complain about our record, but I do agree that Boudreau makes to many changes to the lines. I have wondered why for the last year and a half. When you hear of great lines on the past they played together for years. Playing with different line mates every night is crazy.

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | December 30, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I would really hate to see our number on 5 on 3, we seem to really suck in that area

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Except Nyls was a returnee who went to another NHL team in the meantime.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:03 PM

right - forgot about that

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Green almost with a highlight reel goal.

For the most part, we look like an AHL team through the first 25 minutes, kind of like SJ looked at Verizon several weeks ago.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@elicea

How do you want to set up the lines?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse
-------------
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Fleischmann-Morrison-Knuble
Chimera-Laich-Fehr
Laing-Steckel-Bradley

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm out of town and can't watch on CSN, so I'm streaming the 1500 AM audio. I think I'm glad I can't see what's going on--listening to it is painful enough. Why the F can't we manage to score on the PP lately? It's maddening!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 30, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I recommend that the Caps have a hard practice tomorrow and watch tapes on how the Sharks do things. Especially PK.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

IS IT ME OR HAS KNUBLE NOT DONE CRAP FOR THE CAPS.EVERYONE MADE BIG DEAL BUT I DONT SEE WHY.HE NEEDS TO PRODUCE ALONG WITH ALOT OF OTHER CAPS.GET IT TOGETHER CAPS.LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: gratefuldid | December 30, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I have noticed that Laing doesn't block as many shots...and I understand why. Wonder if we are going to bring someone from Hershey to replace him.

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | December 30, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

really hate how slow my computer is loading right now...

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Erskine lets his man get behind him.

This is getting ugly.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@elicea

Yes, back to our "normal" lines except Chimera in Clark's place.

I guarantee one thing about the lines for the next game. It won't be the same as for today's game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

@wocoliz

Cause we just s*ck at the PP.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I think BB has already made line changes.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan75
It's hard to argue with you about that right now. Come on, Caps!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 30, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

I stopped watching the game. So who's on the lines now?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness the PK doesn't s*ck tonight. It also sounds like Neuvy's having a great game despite the score.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 30, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

DID I JUST SEE SEMIN SLIDE ON THE ICE AND BLOCK A SHOT?

...there is hope people

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I think they get the big 3 back on the top line. I haven't really noticed beyond that.

Regardless, we're getting schooled out there.

They're making us look completely impotent, dominating the game in every single zone, beating us to every loose puck, intercepting passing, out muscling us, etc...

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap! Semin just threw a hit and blocked a shot on the same shift! This is also after getting tripped and cross checked.

Posted by: ranndino | December 30, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

DID SEMIN JUST DIVE AND BLOCK A SHOT?? AHHAHAHAHA makes it worth being up at 12:30 am to see that! that was amazing! i got as much joy from that as i would have had the Caps scored two goals at the same time!

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 30, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I would say the PK does suck to an extent.

They've done some good things but the inability to clear the puck is scary bad.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@wocoliz

I don't have a problem with Neuvy's play. Just our offense. Or the pretenders who make up our offense.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

DID I JUST SEE SEMIN SLIDE ON THE ICE AND BLOCK A SHOT?

...there is hope people

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse
-------------
haha. Pretty surprised to see that as well.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wocoliz | December 30, 2009 11:11 PM

try this

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Green just got walked through. Neuvy with the save.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is aggravating.

Posted by: LA_caps_fan | December 30, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@Aldred15

Where are you, if it's 12:30am where you're at?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Neuvy. The team in front aren't helping him out much.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

sj seems to be getting to every loose puck and clogging every passing lane

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

The Sharks are cute, the second they start feeling short-changed in the penalty department, they start flopping like a European Soccer Team. It was hilarious, right after we got that hooking call right after the unsuccessful 2-man, they started flopping like fish. It took, 4 or 5, but it finally worked.

On that play where Erskine got beat, you could see that he was making a play at the puck, when he doesn't get it, he tries as hard as he can to get his stick out of there, but the Sharks guy kicked his foot out to hit the stick before taking his dive. They got the call and have stopped flopping for now.

The guy above who stopped watching needs to start watching again. They're finally playing right. Nabakov isn't going to be able to stop all these.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

They are winning all the little battles too. Most collisions are ending in Caps on there butts.

But I think Neuvy has looked good after taking those first two on the chin.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Green just got walked through. Neuvy with the save.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse
------------
So much for having some motivation to prove team Canada wrong.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Will do. Thanks, Cap'n!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 30, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@Aldred15

Where are you, if it's 12:30am where you're at?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:24 PM

my guess would have to be a couple hundred miles out in the atlantic ocean :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@elicea

I feel bad for Neuvy also. He had a better team behind him in Hershey.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Obviously, somewhere in the Atlantic Time zone. Newfoundland?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

You guys are weird and over-dramatic. It's so early in the game, especially for this team.

I'm not usually on here during games, is it always like this?

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy is keeping us in this thing. Notice how much better his rebound control is than Theo's. Either eats them up or kicks them past oncoming players.

Posted by: ranndino | December 30, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

If that wasn't the epitome of how this night has gone, I don't know what is.

Clowe just casually dumps a puck in and we have THREE guys back in front of him. He gets to the puck first then gets it out and a few seconds later the Sharks get one of their best scoring chances of the period. Neuvy had to make a kick save and fortunately no Shark was in the slot to finish it.

That is embarrassing. We look scared out there.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

@ Capsfan75 I live in Nova Scotia

I would also like to propose David Steckel take the draw on the face off for the PP. Every PP the Caps seem to lose the draw and then waste 30 seconds chasing the puck, bringing it back, and setting it up.

I don't know the exact stats, but I bet if you take Steckel out of the equation the other 3 centermen as a whole must have one of the lowest overall percentages in the league.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 30, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Obviously, somewhere in the Atlantic Time zone. Newfoundland?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:28 PM

do they have the internet in newfoundland yet?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

second post

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

second post

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

@Aldred15

That was going to be by initial guess.

Gee, you're in Sid Crosby territory.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, Green has rung the post twice. He's got it going on that end for sure.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Why does the PP always try to force things through the crease. Every, single time, without fail. So easy to defend.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 30, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Green trips Clowe.

Penalty shot SJ.

Sigh.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Green got the puck on that, bad call.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 30, 2009 11:29 PM

i've thought that before too - he's big enough to park in front of the net - he doesn't need special talent for that

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 30, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75 I played hockey against Crosby actually. He played for the best team in the league and I on the worst, but it's still cool enough I suppose.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 30, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

We deserve our fate after not cashing in on all these PP opps in this period.

Neuvy has kept us in it long enough for the offense to show up...and they havent.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 30, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow. The D is having a lot of trouble clearing the zone

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

This team doesn't want to win right now. No pride whatsoever. Nobody is skating hard, nobody is converting chances, nobody is upset at how BAD they look in a marquee match up. I'm honestly disgusted with the way this team has played the last two games. Absolutely pathetic.

Posted by: badkarma723 | December 30, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

SJ putting on a clinic.

22 minutes to go in this one.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

What the HELL is going on? This is AWFUL. Absolutely awful.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 30, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Nabokov is standing on his head tonight. When he misses, we hit the post, what a night.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

We failed on the 2-1.

Backstrom with the penalty.

SJ PK coming up.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Ø if the caps can't come back tonight - the theo bashers will be out in full force Ø

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

We'll have the bashers of everyone coming in force. Especially the bashers of the trade.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Isn't confidence in the goalie supposed to make a difference?

Posted by: miseaujeu | December 30, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Can't remember us being dominated quite like this all season. SJ could easily have 6, 7, maybe even 8 by now.

Posted by: ranndino | December 30, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Saved by the bell.

We're lucky SJ has only scored 3 goals with the way they've controlled the game.

Granted, we could've had 2 or 3 ourselves but this has been all San Jose all game.

I think it's safe to say we've been worse here than against Carolina the other night.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not up on my hockey rules. Do you have to hit the puck with the blade of your stick? Green very clearly hit the puck with the shaft of his stick on that Penalty Shot.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Caps dont have any legs tonight.

Posted by: pch49 | December 30, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I feel sad for Neuvy. I feel like he's given the team a chance to win until the penalty shot. What's wrong with the offense?

Posted by: rachel216 | December 30, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm off to bed. No point in staying up to watch anymore of this game. We're basically outmatched and outclassed.

Better luck against LA but given their horrible track record against that team, I'm not counting on it.

I just hope we can turn it around soon.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

The last two games the Caps just haven't had the energy or focus. Backstrom and Semin particularly seem to be a little off. They need to forecheck more physically and win battles in the corners.

Posted by: CDon | December 30, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Worse than the Carolina game? You're crazy.

They're playing way better than they did monday. SJ is just a way better team than Carolina.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Stinko! I am turning it off and hoping for better on Saturday.

Posted by: crooks_c | December 30, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

trying to figure out why Erskine got a sweater tonight.... also where is Gordo? best defensive forward shouldnt be sitting on the road against the Sharks.

Posted by: pch49 | December 30, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

noooo...we suck again!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 30, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

See, this is why I think you people are silly.

Semin off? Semin BLOCKED A SHOT. Does Semin ever block a shot? Even Joe B was shocked that it was Semin who blocked that.

Sometimes you get beat. Right now we are getting beat. That doesn't mean we aren't playing hard. They could be playing harder,for sure. But worse than the Carolina game? That's crazy-talk.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

San Jose looks awesome.

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 30, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

I agree. And next is LA who we can't beat to save our lives. I may just go to Saturday evening church service and avoid watching that game entirely. Maybe my not watching them will spark them.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Not to pile on, but it seems like they're not giving 100%. The only that's showed up is Neuvy and he's tried his hardest to keep the team in it. Can't believe they didn't cash in on any of their PP opportunities. I know SJ has a good PK but from the passes to the shot selection, it just hasn't looked good at all. Plus, two periods in a row where we haven't been good. They beat Buffalo and NJ and maybe they've gotten complacent.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 30, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Saved by the bell.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse
-------------
This pretty much summarizes everything.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

see what happens when the team doesn't play defense in front of the goalie? no matter who is in goal; maybe all the idiots that think theo sucks can finally see that it's not the goalie's fault. i think theo's salary shouldn't be 4M but even then he shouldn't be getting the blame for why the losses when the team collapses in front of him.

Posted by: MNMNT | December 30, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

CsapsFan75

You just made mention of the bashers coming out and the trad bashers but you pretty much said we would lose against LA. I am confused.

As for the trade. It has been bad so far. No defense and we don't have a captain. It has affected the team, so be it maybe just in the short term. Lets hope

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | December 30, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

San Jose looks awesome.

Posted by: blindskateluke

San Jose does look awesome. But we're not playing the way we are capable of playing.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 30, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

Good point but I'm tempted to say that we've played worse through 40 minutes despite the difference in competition.

SJ HAD NINE SCORING CHANCES IN THE FIRST PERIOD ALONE.

Teams often don't get that many chances in an entire game.

I'm scared to even look at the numbers after two periods.

It looks like men against boys out there tonight, both physically and mentally.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope to see more hitting in the third from the Caps.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

Sad to say, I think Neuvy had a better team in front of him --- at Hershey.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

This does not look like the same SJ team we played a few months ago. I'm just hoping this is proof of how much home ice matters to the outcome, especially for the marquee match-ups. However, this has been utterly pathetic if you're player and fan of the caps. Let's just hope they turn it around this period and leave the tank having earned some degree of respect. GO CAPS...

Posted by: nolanb | December 30, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

Semin looks off offensively. He's whiffing on shots, making questionable passes and getting thrown off the puck the last two games more than usual. The blocked shot was fantastic. A great individual effort on his part. But offensively he seems a little off his game.

Posted by: CDon | December 30, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

it's not always about the Caps... SJ has been one of the best teams at least during the regular season for a few years now.

there's no shame in splitting the season series with them.

Posted by: joek443 | December 30, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I just listened to that whole Surfin' Bird song or whatever it's called. That song is absolutely absurd.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 30, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

14 shots through two periods against Nabokov is just NOT gonna get it done. Seriously, 14 shots? ;(

Posted by: rachel216 | December 30, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

"maybe all the idiots that think theo sucks can finally see that it's not the goalie's fault."

---

Theo let in 3 in the first period to literally the worst team in the league. Neuvy let in 3 in two periods, one of which was a bad call on a penalty shot, to one of the best teams in the league.

Your comparison fails on it's face. If Theo was in goal, it would be 6-0, and Neuvy would be in by now.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

@Caps4Life1

I must confess that I'm not confident on our chances against LA since we couldn't beat them last year and that team is better.

However, I do think the Caps will right the ship at some point, if not on Saturday, it will happen next week. They generally do not have prolonged losing streaks.

Was the Clark trade really that bad for them?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Worse than the Carolina game? You're crazy.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:41 PM

I agree.

@pch49
Gordo's back might not have felt great after a cross-country flight. Hopefully he'll be on the ice Saturday afternoon.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 30, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope to see more hitting in the third from the Caps.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse
----------
I mean more shooting. Don't know why I said hitting...

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

@CDon

On Semin, someone did see him leaving the ice on Monday in pain due to his wrist. He returned afterwards in the game. But could the wrist be hurting again?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

Sad to say, I think Neuvy had a better team in front of him --- at Hershey.

Posted by: CapsFan75

But I think he's made some good saves despite the bad defense.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 30, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Well, we're leading in hits 31-21 so that's not really the problem.

San Jose is just harder on pucks and controlling every zone. They're a step ahead of us on every pretty much every single play.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 30, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

@wocoliz

I would not be surprised to see Gordon back on Saturday. BB will definitely do something different then. Who would you recommend sitting out instead?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

I agree! I think he's made a lot of good saves. Otherwise, we'd be down 5-0 or even worse.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Meh, I'm not giving up yet.

We had some good chances last period. A couple great saves by Nabo and a couple bad beats by the posts, or this one is even.

We've come back from worse.

Go Caps!

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe BB will scratch the new guy... we have not won a game with Chimera

Posted by: cparkerhere | December 30, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Defense needs to improve. Main reason Caps' are losing, imo.

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with VTDuffman. SJ is the second highest scoring team in the league. CAR is the lowest scoring and not to mention the worst team in the league. He's giving his team a chance to win, unlike Theo. It's just kinda hard when the offense is out of sync as it is right now. And if it weren't for Neuvy it'd be like 7-0.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 30, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Never give up...caps can come back!

Posted by: nolanb | December 30, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 30, 2009 11:39 PM

i doesn't have to be the blade but i don't think he got the puck until well after the takedown

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 30, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

Right on Theo. He was terrible Monday. He gave up several awful rebounds that resulted in Canes goals. He couldn't make a clean save pretty much that entire evening.

@CapsFan75

Good call. That could be it. Would make sense.

Go Caps!

Posted by: CDon | December 30, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

@cparkerhere

I think Boudreau will scratch someone other than Chimera for next game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Gordon will return. The person scratched on Saturday instead might not be a healthy scratch.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 30, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

good sign - 2:30 minutes into the third and sj is already just trying to clear the zone instead of skating it out

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 31, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan75
I don't know who I'd sit for Gordo. At this point I'm willing to try just about any combination. (Man, why did Nabokov have to be so good tonight?)

Posted by: wocoliz | December 31, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

k-nuble

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 31, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75
i was joking ;). He won't be scratched until he has sucked the winning out of the Caps.

Posted by: cparkerhere | December 31, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

That's interesting. Knuble got moved to the third line and scores.

Posted by: elicea | December 31, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

wow, worked hard for that one

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 31, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Chimera!

Posted by: nolanb | December 31, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

from chimera

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 31, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

NHL goalies are supposed to make great saves, it's their job... they're not out there to make just the routine saves.

yes Neuvy has played well but I wouldn't say they would be down 5 or 6 goals if it werent' for him

Posted by: joek443 | December 31, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Great shift for Chimera. Nice work big fella. Let Semin touch your gloves for luck....or skill.....or anything

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 31, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

There's one.

Someone really want to tell me this team can't score 2 more in 15 mins?

First point for Chimera. Think him and K-nubs are gonna make a good team.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 31, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

that sucked

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 31, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

that's just unfortunate

Posted by: nolanb | December 31, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Dang.

I admit that's probably game.

I'm really starting to dislike this team's defensive philosophy or lack thereof.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 31, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

we, that should do it...good night

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 31, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

there are 4 players in front of the net and no one gets in front of that goal or at least gets their stick in the lane!!!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 31, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, Semin has gotten too much crap this game.

Where has 8 been all game?

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 31, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Don't know how that is a penalty shot

Posted by: elicea | December 31, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Wow Really, two penalty shots? That's just silly.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 31, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

varly better get his 'conditioning' game in soon - we need him back

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 31, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Neuvirth doesn't deserve this.

Posted by: LA_caps_fan | December 31, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

It's not a penalty shot, he wasn't denied a reasonable anything. That was piling on by the refs.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 31, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Erskine threw his stick.

We can't put two passes together.

Ovechkin has passed the puck to SJ sticks all night long.

This is embarrassing.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Same defensive effort tonight as they gave against Carolina Monday. Sloppy in their own zone. Not clearing the puck. Not dumping the puck offensively and grinding out a couple of goals. (How many times is Oveckhin going to stand around with the puck right over the blue line and either try a cross-ice pass that gets picked off or simply have the puck taken from him? Dump it and chase it.) Caps have to solidify the neutral zone.

Posted by: CDon | December 31, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Our D is terrible....2 penalty shots in one game..and 2 goals..piss poor effort. I hope GMGM is continuing his search for blue line help.

Posted by: JCB9 | December 31, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

LA, he really does deserve this.

While the Thorton Penalty Shot call was completely incorrect, the shot itself was nothing special.

He should have saved that.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 31, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

I believe both penalty shots were perfectly called by the refs.

Green got the skates on the first one before the puck.

Erskine threw his stick on the second.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Has Neuvirth had shoot out experience at Hershey? I think goalies with NHL experience get practice stopping penalty shots because of the shoot-out gimmick.

Posted by: miseaujeu | December 31, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

@CDon

Perfectly said. Every word of it. Exactly how I see it.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Mcphee has got to get us some defensive help...

Posted by: nolanb | December 31, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Get it out of your system now, guys. Gotta hope for a better game on Saturday. (Jeez, two penalty shots in the same game. Ugh.)

Posted by: wocoliz | December 31, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

tmac,

Can you show me the part in the rulebook where it says that "throwing your stick" resulted in a penalty shot?

I was always under the notion that it was "Denied a reasonable attempt at the shot" I didn't know that there was "or a stick was thrown" addendum on there.

If you have a link that would be super.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 31, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Horrible second Penality shot call. He clearly lost his stick when it got knocked out of his hand when it made contact with the skate of Thorton. If he was trying to throw the stick it wouldn't have gone way away from the puck or the player toward nothing at all.

This one again shows why I keep saying trading Clark was a horrible decision. Ovechkin may be the teams leader on the ice but on the bench and in the locker room Clark was the leader and without him the team has just lookd lost.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 31, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

It's too bad GMGM traded away one of our better D-men already. Seems like he's going in the wrong direction.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 31, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

minor league goaltender. overmatched by the sharks.

Posted by: WJStephens | December 31, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Erskine threw his stick on the second.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse
------------
Did he? Looked to me like he just lost it.

Posted by: elicea | December 31, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

In games like these (and in the playoffs), you have to play gritty hockey and get some tough ones in close (like Knuble's). You can't out-finesse and out-cute everyone. You gotta work hard sometimes. Washington's grinders don't have great scoring touch, and the Caps skill guys don't seem to enjoy battling for pucks in the corners. As I see it, that's what McPhee needs to address with this team (in addition to a D-man).

Posted by: CDon | December 31, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

On a positive note, Chimera is having a pretty good period.

Posted by: elicea | December 31, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

ovi just hitting anything wearing teal

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 31, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The way Neuvirth is being held out to dry is unacceptable. To get beaten by the best team in the league (well, San Jose sure looks like such tonight) is no crime. But to get beaten like a drum and literally feeding your young goaltender to the sharks? That just can't happen.

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 31, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

On the second penalty shot, one way or the other, Thornton was denied a reasonable attempt at a shot from what I saw.

Either way, our D is getting schooled. Sharks have been getting behind them and through them all night.

We can't clear the puck out of our own zone on the penalty kill or at even strength.

Our forecheck is impotent.

We can't put two passes together.

Ovechkin is trying to go one on one or making horrible passes cross ice right to Shark sticks.

It looks like boys against men out there tonight.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

ovi - nice

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 31, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Too little to late for Ovechkin

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 31, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

HEY!

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 31, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

ovi is a freakin monster...he puts it all on the line, win or lose. you gotta love that

Posted by: nolanb | December 31, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I may be wrong on the second penalty shot but it looked like he interfered with him from behind in some way.

Regardless, the point is that Thornton just burned Erskine right up the middle in the first place.

We have been stifled tonight.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

The Caps system (when it doesn't work) leaves goalies out to dry. Any goalie that plays for the Caps is going to experience it. Fortunately, the system usually works, and the skaters score more goals than the goalie gives up.

Posted by: miseaujeu | December 31, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

San Jose looks like the best team in the league tonight -- true or false?

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 31, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I thought the Caps and Sharks looked pretty conservative early in the game. But once the Caps got down a couple, they had to try open it up and take some chances. I think they need to play a little more wide open to be successful. Not conservative

Posted by: bigschu8 | December 31, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what the Sharks are doing or what we're not doing but we can't get the puck out of our end cleanly, we can't put two passes together, we can't apply a consistent forecheck and the Sharks are just one step ahead of us in every zone.

Oh well, stuff to work on, right?

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Ugh! But they are a great team and the Capa are now the ones who just had a long flight. We have time to regroup and practice hard before meeting the Kings. I am going to hang in there. Woo hoo happy to see Ovi just scored. Boy winning the draws does help. don't have the stats but it felt as if the Caps were losing all the draws. Despite the score I think Neuvy has done well. He has been thoroughly tested tonight--geez two penalty shots. Sorry for the meandering post but I do remember how well we schooled the Sharks at the Phone Booth. So the pendulum swings both ways.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 31, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Ovie wants the C!

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Ovie dropped the gloves.. Semin blocked a shot... been an interesting night, to say the least.

Posted by: elicea | December 31, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

HAHAHA!! GET HIM OVI!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 31, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Factor in both games against SJ this season, how confident would you be playing them in a 7-game series?

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

i think it would be a hell of a series. the team who has home ice wins.

Posted by: nolanb | December 31, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

attaboy Neuvy!

Posted by: elicea | December 31, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

The Sharks' passing skills from the defense on out is amazingly good.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Tmac, if the series were to be played right now and if San Jose played like they have tonight, then they win -- especially if they have home ice. But things change from now from now until the spring.

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 31, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could see another game between these two teams in another month or two.

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 31, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Well, THAT was ugly. Think I'll wait till later this morning to read the postmortem. Good night, all.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 31, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

would love to see the caps play the blackhawks too

Posted by: nolanb | December 31, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, this is a growing experience for the Caps.

I know we beat them good in our own barn but I think we did that more through special teams.

Tonight was a clinic in every aspect of the game from 5-on-5 to special teams and in every zone.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Boy that was some rough play between Ovi and no. 3 (not sure of Shark player's name) right up to the end of the game.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 31, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Everything the Sharks did seemed so in sync. They worked as a team in every zone and were making passes tape to tape. Players were always in position. They were stong on the forecheck.

On our end, we looked like a clusteryouknowhat. Too much individual play, we couldn't string passes together, we were turning the puck over left in right in every zone and players were constantly out of position. When we could get the puck into their end, we couldn't sustain anything with our forecheck.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

And to add to what you're saying, Tmac -- most of the times when the Capitals did muster some offense, Nabakov shut it down. Or the puck just clanged right off the post, like with two of Green's lasers.

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 31, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Chimera, Ovechkin, Bradley and Knuble were the best non-goalies on our end tonight from what I can recall. Ovechkin made several poor decisions with the puck but at least he played balls to the wall and showed some grit in a game where we were getting spanked convincingly for the most part.

Neuvirth was very good, too, despite the 5 spot. The first goal was stoppable from what I saw based on the angle and it would have been nice if he could've stopped one of those penalty shots but he was left out to dry and made a number of strong saves.

Learn from this and move on.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I thought Neuvirth was fine, considering how he was blitzed tonight.

Posted by: blindskateluke | December 31, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

POSTMORTEM I MEAN POSTGAME THOUGHTS:
That was utterly disgusting. It seems as if Green was the only player on the ice in the first period that got the memo to SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK and when he did unfortunately the goal post became Nabokov's friend.

Can I have the fundamental Caps team back that apparently didn't arrive out west yet? Where the hell did the fundamentals of using the end boards to clear the puck out of the zone go? That was just pathetic. This team was as careless about clearing the puck as I've seen all year.

Brooks Laich - scratch him. Sit him down a game or two. I believe it was Laich after the Caps cut it to 3-1 that just carelessly swung at the puck trying to clear it out and didn't succeed which led to the Sharks getting the fourth goal. If he's gonna continue to try too hard and play stupid hockey like that - sit down and take a break.

Congrats to Knubs for getting on the scoresheet and nice to see Ovi mix it up and get a nice one off the draw. Welcome to DC Jason Chimera. Love the speed and drive to the net. Great addition.

Neuvirth - would loved to have seen him stop one of the penalty shots but hey what can you do? Great move on the first one and a perfectly placed shot by Thornton on the second. Neuvy taking that one off the mask - wow. He was solid when could be but his team let him down BIG TIME tonight.

Erskine - they can't package him away in a trade soon enough. The aggressive forecheck by our defensemen should not include him. He pinches up and if he's caught like he did tonight - he has no speed. NONE. How many times do you see an odd man rush and you see Erskine trying to catch up but still stuck skating in concrete?

There better be a MUCH IMPROVED effort in LA. This was inexcusable to come out tonight and get 3 measly shots in the first period. Joe Beninati could've suited up for the Sharks in the first period and kept the Caps scoreless. Ugh. Time to get it back on track.

Down to Tinseltown for an afternoon date to crown the Kings on Saturday.

Ice Breakers Goal Shakers.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 31, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse
-------------
I thought Semin had an ok night.

Posted by: elicea | December 31, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

We out hit them 46-32. That's a huge number on our end. 6 from Ovechkin, 6 from Bradley, 4 from Backstrom, 4 from Green, 4 from Morrisonn.

Faceoffs were pretty even.

Giveaways and takeaways were fairly close to my surprise. They actually had more giveaways than us but a few more takeaways.

We blocked 14 shots to their 12 (one of our's noteably coming from none other than Mr. Semin).

Statistically, this game doesn't look nearly as bad as it did on the ice. The numbers looked much worse after the 1st period.

Regardless, the game isn't played on paper. WE NEED TO TIGHTEN THINGS UP STARTING FROM OUR OWN END.

I don't know if it's a personnel issue or something that the coaches can fix but we need to make good decisions and execute in our own end. We also need to improve our passing game and our forecheck.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

@Tmac2yao - interesting stats. Even though it felt blah - it does feel like this game was alot closer than the score showed. Take away the 2 penalty shots and you have a different game.

I almost forgot - Semin showed up fell down - got stuffed on a great scoring chance and then slid to block a shot - are you kidding me? Interesting.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 31, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

@Jonathan6

I was surprised by the stats, too.

However, I didn't feel that the game was closer than the score showed.

We made crucial mistakes repeatedly in our own end while the Sharks were nearly flawless in their's.

The Sharks were putting on passing clinics, tape to tape, all night long while we couldn't seem to string two passes together.

They got behind our defense countless times and earned at least one of those penalty shots if not both.

They hit a post, too, and had an open net that they put into Neuvirth's chest early on.

It just really seemed like they were infinitely more cohesive and responsible as a team, almost like men playing against boys.

We took it to them at Verizon but I don't recall the same level of domination. We did most of our damage like Carolina did against us in the past game by getting a bunch of early power plays. Sure, we earned those power plays but I don't think we dominated even strength play the way the Sharks did to us tonight.

It's hard to judge where you stand against a team that you barely ever play but I did feel that San Jose's performance tonight was spectacular and based on those statistics, it does look like we put forth the effort. They were just must better and avoided the costly errors.

When we beat San Jose, they didn't even seem to be trying for whatever reason. They looked lifeless in that game. We tried as hard as we could tonight but just couldn't get anything going. That's what worries me.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 31, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

@tmac - I think your post is spot on. The Sharks were tenacious tonight. They earned it but I think we took it to them in DC when we had the chance. The comparison is tough when the teams play each other twice all year and nearly 3 months apart.

If these two teams met in the Finals - I think it would be a fun and long series. Sure the Caps need to refocus and play better in LA but I'm not overly concerned. They simply still need an upgrade or two at defense. We shall see what's up. Only time will tell.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 31, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Hmm. So scratch this game. On to 2010!!!

Posted by: mrszilla | December 31, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

When ever the Caps play poorly everyone picks on Green. But he does sometimes play like he is hurt. Green needs to crack it up. I also heard the reason why he did not make "Team Canada" is because he is not tough enough . I would like to see Greenie play with some more physical attitude. Like bust someone in the mouth. I love it when OVI drop his gloves against the sharks he was pissed and he was showing leadership on the ice. Drop them like their hot OVI . My wife thinks your sexy hot and wouldn't mind you boarding her . I think she is nuts !

Posted by: terryreece | January 2, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse