Tonight's Lineup: Caps vs. Blackhawks

These aren't exact lines for tonight's contest against Chicago because this morning's skate was an optional session. And while this is just the fourth preseason game, the Capitals are in midseason form when it comes to line combinations -- all the forwards were in white jerseys not skating as units.

Coach Bruce Boudreau said Alex Ovechkin and Mike Knuble will be in the lineup against the Blackhawks, although neither skated -- which means one of the following won't suit up tonight.

Forwards
Ovechkin, Knuble, Backstrom, Semin, Laich, B. Gordon, Clark, Laing, Osala, A. Gordon, Perreault, Wilson and Sugden

Defense
Green, Morrisonn, Pothier, Poti, Jurcina, Sloan

Goalies
Varlamov, Neuvirth

By Katie Carrera  |  September 23, 2009; 11:07 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semin Expected to Be Fine
Next: Boudreau to Carlson: 'You're Going to be a Great NHL Player'

Comments

still hoping i get to see sugden tonight

Posted by: _stevo | September 23, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Poor Nylander. Not even on the radar. He should be well rested when he actually gets to play again, whenever and wherever that is.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 23, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Four games and no Nylander. So much for giving the guy a chance! Hasn't everyone else skated in a game now?

This falls into the category of the 15% of what I don't like about BB and GMGM.

Posted by: puckman | September 23, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

He needs to quit drinking the Mike Green Kool-Aid,take time off from being the president of his own fan club and get back to concentrating on hockey.

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Has Matt Bradley played at all this preseason?

Who is Sudgen? I'm not too familiar with him.

Posted by: adamkatzen | September 23, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Wonder why Brendan Morrison isnt in the lineup again. Hope that bad hit didn't screw him up.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 23, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Kolzig officially retired today

Posted by: _stevo | September 23, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 23, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

bradley played in the last game

Posted by: _stevo | September 23, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

griz0615

All the D-man bashing around here has officially crossed over into the land of the ridiculous.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 23, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@thiazzi

Sorry I missed the draft. Whoever picked up Leino is an a-hole! He was going to be my first FA pick-up. :(

Posted by: richmondphil | September 23, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Just wait until the season starts thiazzi, one bad game and it will be time to trade everyone, fire BB, and hang Ted out to dry(maybe Snyder can buy the team) I can hear it now....the group that posts here is getting quite old and stale, I can see why Sombreroguy and others bolted for Japers...I am getting ready to do the same.

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Thiazzi,

Were you at the game? He may have been the worst player on the ice. I hope he knocks the rust off and brings it this year, but Monday was bad.

That said, the whole team looked pretty flat Monday night. Its just presaeson so I'm not too worried about it although I would like to seeus play a little better both at even strength and on the PP.

Any news on B-Mo? I want to see him play.

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Nylander has had plenty of chances and has a chance to show he gets it in practice. Personally I don't care if I ever see him in a Caps jersey again! He looks fine in a suit in the press box.

Posted by: majiksea | September 23, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@griz0615
"He needs to quit drinking the Mike Green Kool-Aid,take time off from being the president of his own fan club and get back to concentrating on hockey" sounds like worry to me.

@richmondphil
All is forgiven so long as you stay active throughout the season!

Posted by: thiazzi | September 23, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"I'm glad to see LamboGreenie in the lineup again. He was flat out awful Monday night and needs all the practice he can get. He had several turnovers inside our blue line.

I think the contract, breakout season, Lambo, and MTV may have gone to his head. I know he was sick and beat up in the playiffs, but its been a while since he's been at the top of his game."

The problem with Mike Green is that he is SUCH a liability out there. When you get right down to it, he is a 4th forward out there. He has as much defensive awareness as Ovie.

He has a high plus minus because they put out defensive specialists against Ovie and simply put, it isn't hard to be a plus when you are on the ice for over 100 goals in a season.

This is a big season for him. I could care less if he scores 10 or 40 goals. He needs to show up in important situations, not blowing in PP goals against abysmal teams and choking when it counts.

Posted by: hackeynut | September 23, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

It IS preseason and I am not too concerned about our D in general - the competition is making this group stronger...however, Green not only played very poorly, he was more nonchalant than I've ever seen him and that's a concern because that's a tendency he's gotta get rid of in order to take it to the next level in maturity.

Posted by: jakopz | September 23, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Green looked complacent

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Now the "move Green to winger" brigade arrives. Sheesh.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 23, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Thiazzi:

griz0615

Yes, let's grill the Norris Trophy runner-up based on one PRESEASON performance, his first.--------

really? based on just one game huh? So you don't think any of his past performances factor into fans' opinions when they make a comment regarding Green? gimme a break. No one has ever bashed Green for just one performance. Anyone who has an issue with MG is basing it also on his past performances, many of them which were very poor defensive ones. Anyone who criticized his first preseason game is really saying "oh no, here we go again".

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The one player we haven't replaced with the rebuild is Brendan Witt

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Schultz and now Green.....it's *&*^^&$%&* preseason people!! So done, thiazzi see you at Japers when you get fed up with this garbage. Email me about the draft for the fantasy league.

Posted by: PhilR | September 23, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Now the "move Green to winger" brigade arrives. Sheesh.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 23, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

why move a lazy player to wing? that doesn't make sense either. Granted he wants to score more than play defense, but I see him bringing the same slackass workethic as a winger in the offensive zone as he does as a dman in the def zone.

ditto what jakopz said about MG's complacency and nonchalant attitude. He's turning into another Gonchar right before our very eyes unless our coaching staff DEMANDS better def play from him instead of giving him a free pass because of his offensive numbers

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

please, enough with LamboGreenie. the guy needs to stop thinkin his poop don't smell and play hockey. all the MTV hype is just plain annoying.

Posted by: doughless | September 23, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody else notice that they listed 13 forwards?

Posted by: pkendrick | September 23, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I like Green and I think he is a good player, but I think his success may have gone to his head. Its like he thinks that putting on the Caps jersey and being Mike Green is enough to be a star.

Time to concentrate on the basics and get hungry.

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Jeez the guy had one bad preseason game and people jump down his throat. You guys are worse than Skins fans.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Lumberjack had a great hit last game. i am hoping Juice or ShaMo take that to heart, and remember how they played in the playoffs last year. i have been a ShaMo doubter, but if he continues to play like he did in the playoff that mediation contract price ain't lookin too bad.

Posted by: doughless | September 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Who is making the "Free Nylander" t-shirts and when can I buy one?

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | September 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

actually based on Schultz's last game, I'd say at least he's trying to finally take his game up a notch. Funny isn't it-- our "bubble" players like Schultz and Alzner are making a concerted effort to start the season or preseason off on a high note. While players guaranteed roster spots like Green think there's a magic faucet they can turn on and off.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Who is making the "Free Nylander" t-shirts and when can I buy one?

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | September 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I will take one too.

Posted by: hock1 | September 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

wrong - Green had a terrible playoff season, he didn't have a great playoff against Philly the previous year either, he had spotty defensive play all last season and only got the runner up award based on his OFFENSIVE play etc. The only reason any comments are gettin tossed around is because fans want to see what his attitude will be coming into the new season. First results are not promising. So its not just based on ONE game. THAT would be pathetic if it was.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Dizzy,

How would you describe Green's performance in the 2009 playoffs? After a summer off to get healthy and refresh, I was hoping for a little more form the Norris Trophy runner up.

I'm not saying we should trade him, cut him etc., just that he needs to step it up.

Mike Green walks on water and we should declare his birthday a national holiday. Better?

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Vets are not going to put a big effort into pre-season. As long as they show up on 10/1 I don't really care.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't need to see a BIG effort. But from a guy who already has a questionable defensive work ethic, I'd sure like to see signs from him in preseason that this upcoming season he'll have a newfound attitude. Thats all.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Free Nylander, LOL!

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Who is Sudgen? I'm not too familiar with him.

Posted by: adamkatzen | September 23, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Hershey signed him as a tough guy to replace Kip Brennan who is still with the Edm Oilers trying to make their team. Sugden is one of the top tough guys at the ahl level and the Hawks are a fiesty team so he's probably in the lineup to neutralize them a little. Tough luck for the Hawks - Adam Burish tore his ACL in the last preseason game and is out for 6 months. Lets Jack Skille and/or Versteeg crack their roster.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, I don't have a problem w Nylander's play... My problem is with Nylander's pay.

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Griz: I don't think the people on this blog who are pointing out that Green had a bad playoffs which continued Monday are causing the hysterics here. I think its the people who don't like to see their favorite player criticized.---

ding ding! haha I could not have said it better. God forbid you criticize a "favorite" player. Sends a ton of people into a real tizzy who ironically blame the other fans for being hysterical. Good stuff

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick Does anybody else notice that they listed 13 forwards?

If I read the post correctly, they listed 13 and said "at least one will NOT be suiting up tonight".

On that front, does anyone know Aucoin's status? He is such a fighter, and did such a great job for us at the end of the season, I would really like to see him get a shot at the big show.

Posted by: Caps16Fan | September 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: griz0615 | September 23, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

well based on his play, his pay should be around $2/game

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 23, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

sugden playing tonight wow thought he would have been sent down for cuts maybe he will play a few nhl games this year get him in game shape for early games tor bos nyr?

Posted by: baltraven52 | September 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@griz0615, cstanton, and other "time now to bash Green" posters: What is up with you people! Now that the bashing Shultz thread has dried up it's time to pick on Green.

He played hurt last year in the playoffs, was in his own words disappointed with his output, but he had a fabulous regular season last year. Enough of one that he came in second for the Norris trophy voting.

No I don't think he walks on water, but I do think he is a fine young player, an emerging superstar, who has a true offensive/defensive style. He's the kind of emerging d-man that other teams salivate over. We are lucky to have him growing and developing on OUR team. Defensive skills take more time to develop than offensive ones. Give him time.

So yes I think you and others really are judging him from his first pre-season game. Or maybe some of you really don't like this style of an offensive/defensive d-man, in which case I'm glad you are not our GM.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 23, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green is SO bad is was the runner up for the Norris. He is so awefull he will make the team canada. Damn....wish all our players were as bad as he is....

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry newbiecapsfan, but this was pretty much BS. Can you honestly say you would take Mike Green over Nick Lidstrom for any given season?

Lidstrom has been an absolute shut down guy since he came into the league. As a 21 year old he was a +36 and he didn't have the luxury of two of the best players in the league playing in front of him at all times.

He does not have a "true offensive/defensive style". You have to play a lick of defense to have that. He is a goal scorer. I'll take it one step farther, he is Alex Semin. Great when he is scoring and completely invisible at best when he isn't. That isn't acceptable for a Defenseman or a Center.

Ever.

Posted by: hackeynut | September 23, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree with hackeynut. There are too many times Green is way to far up the ice for a defenseman. Defense first,worry about scoring second.
at least Shultz should have a good game.

Posted by: whiteltng | September 23, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@hackeynut--that's NOT what I said. You are deliberately misrepresenting me. I NEVER compared him to Lidstrom or any other legendary d-veteran. Lidstrom is an amazing player. On an amazing team. He's great at 2-way defense play. But come on, he's 38 or 39 at the end of his career. Green is 24 and still developing. Let's get some perspective here people.

I said Green was an EMERGING star offensive/defensive player. Of course that's what he is. He's not a veteran. Nor are our other young star players.

I don't know if he would or even could become a legendary figure like Lidstrom but I am willing to let him grow and develop first.

I am not handing him a free pass but I get so tired of the negativity on this board. One bad preseason game and you all are ready to dump him from the team, accuse him of complacency, of getting caught up in his own fandom-blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

A lot of players won't have shaken the rust off even after the first few regular season games. Don't read too much into a good or bad preseason performance. Team standings after the first 10 games can be deceptive, why should we think player stats would be any better or that preseason performances will be any prognosticator of things to come? Chalk it up to us all being anxious for the season to start.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | September 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Newbie, didn't mean you were comparing him to Lidstrom, but lets do it anyhow. After all, according to the Norris trophy voters, a majority would take Green over Lidstrom last year.

My point was more to the "defense takes time to develop" line. That may be true, it may not be true, but Nick Lidstrom has had that defensive ability since he entered the league.

Often when you watch Lidstrom, he is skating in small spots with an economy of motion, mostly because he is seemingly never out of position. Green can develop the positioning. However, what he seems to lack is the determination to do so. He wants to score and thats about it.

Last season during the playoffs he moaned about his stick and thats why he was playing lousy. As if the stick could keep him from getting caught flat footed on his own blue line. The only reason his stick came into play is because he equates good play with scoring production and thats a bad mindset.

Posted by: hackeynut | September 23, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@hackeynut--I took offense with your first line--that's exactly what you implied. MY POINT was that defense takes time to develop. If that was also your point, I lost it in the rude "BS" charge you leveled at me.

As for comparing them--why? Lidstrom is the type of player that I'm sure Green hopes to become. He's the anchor on that team. Will Green ever be as good? I don't know. Can he ever skate with the special economy of motion that Lidstrom has? I don't know. Can he learn to play both ends of the ice responsibly with a minimum of overly risky maneuvers--yes I think he can get there. But Green's d-style of play is described as offensive/defensive. He's not a forward. Nor do I think his play make him one.

But that was never my point. My point was enough of the negativity about our d-corps. And that I would rather have Green on our team. I think he may well win a Norris in the future and I am willing to give him a little space and time to develop his game without calling into question his motivation and determination.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 23, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse