Tonight's lineup: Hurricanes at Caps

Sorry this is late tonight. But I bet you know why. Anyway, Jose Theodore is starting in goal and facing Cam Ward.

The rest of the Caps' lineup looks like this:

Forwards

Goalies
Theodore
Neuvirth

I'll have more later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 28, 2009; 7:09 PM ET
 | Tags: Carolina Hurricanes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Clark on trade to Blue Jackets: 'I'm shocked'
Next: Hurricanes 6, Caps 3

Comments

We forgive you.

Posted by: uncatim | December 28, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Morrisonn-Green
Schultz-Sloan
Erskine-Alzner
---------------

while I'd love for us to get another center, this defensive lineup needs some serious improvement. Erskine-Alzner showed very little chemistry together and Schultz-Sloan just sounds scary. And Poti ain't no savior either.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 28, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

where can I get a live stream?? ADTHE is not working....please help.....thanks!!

Posted by: caps4life2 | December 28, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting sick of the Staals as much as I was sick of the Sutters... good thing there's only 3 of them, not 6.

Posted by: joek443 | December 28, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Canes 2 Caps 0 ??? What the heck happened.

Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 28, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Completely agree. Man do I hate that family.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 28, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Caps look demoralized... stupid move to can the captain on game day.

Posted by: Vermonters | December 28, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

wtf. this is a debacle.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 28, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or do they play worse with Theo in net?

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 28, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Not an ego boost for Jose.... Assume neuvy will be in soon?

Posted by: mrszilla | December 28, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Canes 2 Caps 0 ??? What the heck happened.

Posted by: scropion

Theo is in goal, this is what happened. Yes we stupidly took three penalties right away but this is when you want to depend on your goalie until the team is steadied and find its rhythm.

Let's see if we pull it together in the second or 3d peeriod. But we need a goal-scoring avalanche to get back in the game.

Posted by: caraveli | December 28, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

tough break for theo... blower

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

is it that surprising that the Caps would have a "letdown" against a bad team? It happens frequently enough that its an official trend. Even Boudreau who was asked about this before the game is unable to prevent his team from having a letdown. I don't think its the Clark trade so much. This is just normal behavior for the Caps.

And they'll probably turn it on here in the 2nd pd and even the score. They have enough talent to overcome a slow start against most teams.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 28, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Does seem pretty stupid to do such a big change right before a game...

Posted by: mrszilla | December 28, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

caps4life2- maybe just skip this one eh?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the team is still reeling from today's news. Nevertheless, there are still two periods left to pull this one out. Come on guys, wake up!

Posted by: Terptwin | December 28, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

We need some help. The crowd is out of it. The Canes are playing with confidence. And the Caps are lacking their usual edge.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 28, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I cannot fault Theo for the score, thus far. Defense is really letting him down. However, I am not in opposition of a goalie change. The team needs something to wake them up.

Posted by: elicea | December 28, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Caraveli
thanks for the insight. I though Theo was upset he didn't start the last game. Thought he'd have a better game. It's not 3-0. Unbelievable.

Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Possibly feeling confident after beating Buffalo and NJ easily and looking forward to SJ and LA, maybe the team forgot about/overlooked Carolina.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 28, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

now

Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Theo's not having a bad game, he's made a couple of really good saves. The score could easily be 4- or 5-0. It's just a shame it's happening on Theo's chance to finally play. I thought he'd have a GREAT game (which he obviously is not) to further complicate the goalie situation.... now, it just seems inevitable that a trade involving him is imminent. Who needs a goalie these days?? Anyone know?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Brb. Ate a chili cheeseburger, and now i need to take a staal.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 28, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Ok. A crappy 1st period, but nothing that can't be overcome. Not saying anything would have been different with Clark and Jurcina in there, but the trade may have impacted them some. Now, let's see who fills the role of captain and lights their asses on fire in the locker room. Time for a comeback! Let's go boys!

Posted by: gonchpup | December 28, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Why in the H was Semin playing around with the puck with 8 seconds left??!!! GD he plays cute sometimes.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

6 hits in the opening period of a game against a division foe while down by 3 goals. That to me is not putting in the appropriate work ethic necessary. Forget about the penalties for a minute. Every team takes penalties. It isn't like we played the entire period shorthanded.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 28, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I think the Canes need a goalie and does Maple Leafs? But we should wait until Varly gets healthy.

Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this has anything to do with the trade as a couple of people suggested.

First, how often does a guy like Backstrom commit a double minor just a few minutes into the game.

Just a random and rare bad play that has nothing to do with the trade.

Then, Green and whoever he was with during the intial penalty kill got beat up the middle leading to a 5-on-3.

Again, nothing to do with the trade.

Then, there were a couple of missed assignments in the defensive zone at even strength.

Nothing to do with the trade.

Finally, any team can beat any team on any given night in this league. A few of you are just making a connection for the sake of making a connection. I'm not saying the trade isn't on the minds of a few players but my guess is it has little to nothing to do with that heinous first period.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

No need to sweat. That period blew hard, but a goal on this PP, followed by one or two more in the second and this game is back in reach. The Caps are due for some PP's as well, so not giving up on this game just yet. How awesome was Alzner on that PK (before Carolina scored)? He made 3 or 4 awesome plays.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 28, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Both the 2nd and 3rd goal are the fault of...

John Erskine.

Go back and look at the tape. On both goals, he vacated his spot at the left post to chase after someone, giving the Canes easy tap-ins.

It was like Crosby at the side of the net, free to eat his lunch, have a soft drink, strecth and yawn, and then guide the puck in w/o anyone to get in his way.

Vintage Kevin Hatcher, Ersk, except you have no offensive skill to make up for it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 28, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Well the Caps are playing down to the Canes again. I can't figure out the Caps being giant killers and dog chockers. Hopefully, the Caps score quickly in the second and beat the Canes by the final horn.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I don't disagree with you about your general point but there have been numerous games where the hit totals were low where the Caps were up a goal or two after the first period.

I do think the early penalties had a lot to do with Carolina getting an early jump and some confidence. It also at least temporarily fatigued our defensemen and other penalty killers. I know their legs are fresh but those even strength goals came shortly after the multiple PKs. Several players were still trying to get their legs back.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Caps will still win this game

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

@Aldred15,

Yea, Alzner was awesome on that 5-on-3. Unfortunately, I think he got tagged with a couple of minuses later despite doing his job. I'm not sure if it was Erskine, Steckel or somebody else not picking up Staal on that first goal but Alzner seemed to be in good position.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

@Mike4169,

The odds are fairly slim that we win this game so I wouldn't make that statement with any sort of confidence.

I'm just hoping for some good play and for people not to be pointing fingers at McPhee for that poor start.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao - The odds are now a bit better! Thank you, Mr.Green!

Posted by: gonchpup | December 28, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

As long as the people that point at McPhee for that first period point to him when looking at the standings lol

The Caps WILL win this game. I am confident

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

f'me. too many rebounds. 2nd chances are burning us.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 28, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

i hate to say it, but if you want to win...pull him

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 28, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

The Caps will still win despite Erskine letting people walk all over him and score easy goals and Theo giving up terrible rebounds.

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I love Alzner, but I think he has been on the ice for all 4 goals. Not his fault in my view, but what are the chances that this happens.

Posted by: Satts | December 28, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Theo's rebound control is awful! For someone trying to make a statement that's pretty weak.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 28, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Pull Theo 4 is too many. He is a big rubber ball for rebounds. His confidence will be shattered when he lets more in. Neuvy has looked much better.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Alzner had his man on every goal other than the 5 on 3 goal. Erskine is the one letting his man roam free. The Caps better give Alzner a better partner quick. I cannot wait until the Caps upgrade their D.

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Alzner certainly wasn't responsible for the first one. From what I saw, it was Steckel or another defenseman responsible for the second one. I don't recall what happened on the third one other than Staal came in relatively untouched. I don't think it was on Alzner though.

The fourth goal started with a hideous rebound by Theodore and a late defensemen getting to the puck. I think it may have been Erskine again.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

terrible pp

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Semin? What are you doing tonight? Come on boys, put the puck in on this PP

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 28, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

wtf?!? the roof of the net, not the building, Morrison

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Caps really miss Perrault's energy in my opinion

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

"I'm getting sick of the Staals ... good thing there's only 3 of them." Posted by: joek443 | December 28, 2009 7:23 PM |

----------
There are four Staal brothers: Jordan, Eric, Marc and Jared.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | December 28, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

We need to start skating and hitting. Not a single player looks good tonight.

Posted by: Satts | December 28, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

That's it, Stecks! We've got ourselves a game!

Posted by: gonchpup | December 28, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Oooops.... Fehr! Keeping track of this game via internet. Stecks name was posted first.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 28, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of the Sutter brothers back in the eighties. I was at a game at the Cap Centre and someone yelled out, "FIVE BROTHERS...ONE BRAIN!!!"

I'm not sure how many Sutter brothers there were....
______________________________________

----------
There are four Staal brothers: Jordan, Eric, Marc and Jared.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | December 28, 2009 8:20 PM

Posted by: TimDz | December 28, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Green skated all the way in untouched and barely missed putting that in the top corner.

The booing is pretty lame, in my opinion. I understand that sports bring out the primitive side of people but for a team that has been this successful, it's just ridiculous.

Then again, some Caps fans throw hats on the ice during shootouts...

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Scoring on the fresh ice to start the 3rd will really help the cause.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Boo the refs. Boo the opposing team. But don't boo your home team. That lacks class.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 28, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

And I imagine Greenie is going to be pretty hard on himself if that miss ends up being the possible game winner.....he takes every loss pretty hard.

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 28, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Erskine needs to be scratched next game if possible. I'm putting goals 2, 3 and 4 on him, with Theo a major contributor on the 4th one for putting rebound in the slot.

The only purpose in the world for a S@H defenseman is to cover your man. Not chase some player at random all over the ice.

I don't know Ersk personally, but my money is that it's a gray matter problem and you can't fix it. Same problem Jurcina has.

Just look at the 4th goal. Canes win faceoff, put puck on net, Theo gives up juicy rebound in slot, as juicy as the tenderloin I had for dinner, and the Cane skates in umimpeded to pick up rebound and score. A total team failure, from loss of faceoff to poor rebound control to terrible coverage to bad goaltending on the rebound shot.

If Caps score on PP, though, like with EDM, I think they come back and win.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 28, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

The booing is pretty lame, in my opinion.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse
--------
agreed

Posted by: elicea | December 28, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I would split up Alzner and Erskine. For whatever reason, it isn't working.

Put Ersk with Sloan and let them watch the 3rd period.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 28, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

First period we had 4 shots on goal....many more in the second....and I believe we will come out pretty pumped up in the 3rd...keep firing that puck on net!!!!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 28, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Come on Caps, fresh ice, make it 3-4, and then the game is yours! Oh, and pull Theo

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

The booing was deserved I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like this crowd doesn't cheer it's butt off when they deserve it. This is D.C. and the costs are high to attend a game. People have the right to boo about that.

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I think I agree with you about Erskine, tominfl1.

He plays the game with the right intensity and brings the physical element to his position but I don't think he thinks the game very well.

Like you said, there is probably little that can be done about it. His lapses aren't a function of effort but rather awareness and hockey smarts.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I would call the booing lame or classless...
When the Cane's scored that last goal, did anyone on this board NOT groan or yell out some nice Juicy (as in that tenderloin tominfl1) explitive?
Multiply that by 18,722...
I would rather hear the bronx cheer from the croud as opposed to silence.

Posted by: TimDz | December 28, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

@Mike4169

I certainly agree that it's the right of the fans to boo as they see fit. I wasn't challenging that.

I disagree that there's nothing wrong with it, esp. after the team has been playing so well recently. I don't think the pendulum should swing that fast in each direction.

It's one thing if the team has been playing poorly for several games, but a little over a period seems a bit harsh.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

3rd period!!! Start Shooting the puck at the net!!!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 28, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

@kyle_woodruff - How could that have been the game winner? It would have been the third goal, and Carolina have 4 already. The game winner would be the fifth, assuming Carolina don't score again.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 28, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

@TimDz

I don't think we're talking about the booing right after the opposing team scores.

It's booing every single misstep during the course of play.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Please please please replace Semin with Flash on the first wave of this PP. Semin is showing signs of a no-show tonight (that's not bashing, I like Semin, he's just having a rough night) and Flash has looked very good tonight.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 28, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

because he is ovie....

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 28, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

@Aldred15: I just ment that if it happens that we tie it up. But your right.

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 28, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

And we got ourselves a game!!!

Posted by: cbs75 | December 28, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Sweet OV!!! Way to keep the pressure on!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao: I hear ya on that, but it's the same thing...we all, collectively, at our computers, make the same comments...it's just amplified times 18K...
Just now, when OV scored...did we all yell? Of course we did, but we were drowned out by the 18K at the phone booth...
One might say that the collective booing at Verizon may have spurred the Caps on...

Posted by: TimDz | December 28, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

You want to boo the team? Find one worth booing. Look at the big picture. Fine, if they were in the cellar, but what a spoiled bunch of fans. 18,000 fans screaming FOR the home team might just give them that added jump to help them pull this thing off. Unleash the fury!!!

Posted by: gonchpup | December 28, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Flash is due in this game -- he is pressuring and skating well. He really has grown with the Caps

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Well put, gonchpup.

Posted by: uncatim | December 28, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

This is totally random, but how tall is Lisa Hillary? Every time she interviews a player, it looks like she is standing in a hole...I know the skates add a few inches, but she must be a shorty...

Posted by: TimDz | December 28, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

PP come on boys lets tie it up.

Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Come on Caps -- tie it now!!!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

And I might add it is very easy to find a team worth booing - all you have to do is show up at FedEx on any given Sunday.

@Mike4169 - actually I believe the Caps are one of the cheaper average tickets in the NHL.

Posted by: AlexVa1 | December 28, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

She may be short, but she is in great shape and a serious cutey -- Lisa Hillary that is. Is she an ex-college athlete?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

What I though we're on the PP. This sucks.

Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

SON OF A BIRCH!!!!!

Posted by: TimDz | December 28, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Theo really, really sucks tonight -- he gets the first brown eye of the game. Big rebound and lies on the ice -- sheesh

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

poo!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 28, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Jose Three-or-more SUCKS!!!!

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | December 28, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't Bruce pull Theo??? He really bites the big one tonight -- with Varly and Neuvy, he should be the next trade. Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

hook and dive... here we go again... BS!

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

No Theo and the Caps win tonight -- his rebound control is bush league

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

How do you call a hook and a dive at the same time?

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 28, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

That's the way it goes. It's tough to come back from down 3 no matter who the teams involved may be.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone kown when was the last time the Caps give up 5 goals.

Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone kown when was the last time the Caps give up 5 goals.
Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy's first game being called back up against Toronto, but thats gets a pass since he's a young guy. Theo's a veteran and with two guys behind him playing as well as they are can't afford to play like this.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 28, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Now, I really want to know how tall Lisa Hillary is.

Posted by: Satts | December 28, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

theoreboundola!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | December 28, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Another juicy rebound, thanks Theo

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

i don't know scropion, but Theo was probably in goal

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I apologize if my random musings cause you to lose sleep tonight....

_______________________________________

Now, I really want to know how tall Lisa Hillary is.

Posted by: Satts | December 28, 2009 9:14 PM |

Posted by: TimDz | December 28, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah, neuvy...

Posted by: Chad8 | December 28, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Thx Caps XXV1
Pls 2 more goals - we have the best line in Hockey, we can do it.

Posted by: scropion | December 28, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh ok to the people talking about booing. I thought you meant booing in general. My bad.

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Haha Ovechkin plays better D and hits better than Erskine! lol

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Say goodnight Gracie....

Posted by: TimDz | December 28, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

poor effort tonight, and first goal not on Theo

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | December 28, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

FIRE THEODORE! what a bum. can't control a rebound to save his life

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | December 28, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday night:

ROCK THE WHITE!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 28, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Can we send Theo to Pittsburgh?

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 28, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

How much did the trade news affect today's game? Let's discuss.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 28, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame Jose, he just works there!

Posted by: kresneck | December 28, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Trade effected the game 0%

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

@FloridaCapsFan

Do you think the trade had anything to do with Backstrom getting a high-sticking double minor in the first few minutes of the game?

Any team can beat any other team on any give night in the NHL.

The Maple Leafs beat us by the same score just a couple of weeks ago... before the trade.

The Caps will lose many more games going forward and they would have done so with or without today's trade.

They'll also lose to other teams that are outside of the playoff picture. So will Pittsburgh and Jersey and Chicago, etc...

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

A few thoughts...

-Can't expect to win every game but this was just disappointing way to lose.
-Erskine was god awful. I put blame on him for the first 4 goals.
-Though the team didn't help Theodore out, his rebound control let him down as well.
-Schultz needs some lessons on how to shoot the puck.

Not much to be happy about this game.

Posted by: elicea | December 28, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

How much did the trade news affect today's game? Let's discuss.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 28, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame Jose, he just works there!

Posted by: kresneck | December 28, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Trade effected the game 0%

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 28, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I blame Theo's tantrum that led to his start 100%.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | December 28, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame Jose, he just works there!

Posted by: kresneck | December 28, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse
------------
this made me chuckle

Posted by: elicea | December 28, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Earlier today someone stated that the trade wouldn't affect the team because they're professionals. It doesn't matter your occupation or income, when people (friends) you have worked with for years are fired, layed off, or in this case traded, it affects you. Now overcoming this is they're next problem. I'm not criticizing GMGM or the move, but the timing of this (right after Christmas on a game day) is tough.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 28, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao, didn't see the game, I'm out of town and have no TV access. I'm sure Backy didn't do anything intentional, he's not that sort. Did the boys have any jump? Everybody here seems to be blaming Theo but how were they playing in front of him?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 28, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Theodore lost the game.Period. Not that the rest of the team did not make mistakes. But if, even a competent goalie, had kept the scoring to even 3 against, we would have at least tied and taken a chance at OT and a shoot-out. I don't know if this team is not the right fit for him, or if he is easily ruffled or what, but there is no doubt that he is the weakest of the 3 goalies we have. So, I ask, why should he be playing? And what's worse is that he is in denial. He makes excuses for himself and gets angry if he is sidelined. I don't know how Boudreau will handle the situation but a disgruntled goalie who is weaker than the other two is not an asset to the team. My opinion anyway.

Posted by: caraveli | December 28, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@ FloridaCapsFan

Theodore is definitely not the only who should be blamed. The whole team just looked out of it. Especially in the first period.

Posted by: elicea | December 28, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

looked to me to be a lack of leadership. but thats just me.

Posted by: arcassells | December 28, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

@FloridaCapsFan

I love Backstrom's game. I didn't mean to insinuate he did anything intentional. It was a rare and unusual mistake for a guy like him.

I was simply pointing out that the trade had nothing to do with that play or Mike Green and his partner getting beat up the middle while we were killing off Backstrom's penalties, leading to a 5-on-3 and Carolina getting some early confidence.

I thought the defense in front of Theodore was poor but Theodore also gave up numerous juicy rebounds as several people pointed out. He also just looks sluggish out there, probably in part due to his lowered confidence but I've thought he's looked that way often this season save a few games. He had one absolutely amazing game a few weeks ago but beyond that, he's been mostly below average.

I actually disagree with the assessment of some that say the Caps didn't play with energy tonight. I think the early penalties simply gave Carolina confidence and the defense was sloppy, not from a lack of effort but rather poor decision-making and awareness.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Yep, 3-0 is tough to come back from but, we did get 2 goals the second period. Did it get to be 3-2 and they scored the 4th? If so, I would bet it was that 4th one that did us in.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 28, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I think what some people are looking to make a connection between the trade and tonight's game.

What was the excuse against Toronto a couple of weeks ago?

I think tonight's result was in large part due to the bad penalties early in the game that gave Carolina momentum and confidence.

Beyond that, any team can beat any other team in this league on any given night.

This won't be the last game the Caps lose to a team we think they should beat and these losses would come whether or not the trade today took place. This is the NHL and not only that, it's the salary cap version of the NHL. There are clearly teams that are better than others but there is much more parity nowadays. The difference between winning teams and losing teams isn't as much as it used to be.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame Jose, he just works there!

Posted by: kresneck | December 28, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse
------------
this made me chuckle

Posted by: elicea | December 28, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Ditto
First smile tonight.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | December 28, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

@FloridaCapsFan

Nope, it went from 3-1 to 4-1.

That 4th goal was one of Theodore's worst plays of the night but the entire team on the ice failed on that play from the faceoff to Theo's rebound control to a defenseman not getting to the rebound to Theo getting beat 5-hole off his poor rebound.

Take away the early penalties and this game likely takes on a completely different personality. Backstrom is our best overall player but his early double minor combined with Green and his partner getting beat put us behind the 8-ball.

There were several minutes of PKing and even though Carolina only scored 1 goal, our whole team was catching it's collective breath at that point while Carolina was feeling good about themselves. Those factors probably contributed heavily to the 2 even strength goals that came shortly thereafter.

Again, if we don't pick up those early penalties, Carolina doesn't get a shot of confidence and this game probably has a very different outcome. It happens sometimes. It's a competitive league. Move on to the next game.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

theodore didn't lose this game. he had no chance on most of those goals. While you can say that if varly was in there he would have made the impossible saves to keep the caps in, it's the caps defence that's to blame for this loss.

Posted by: j762 | December 28, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game tonight and read the news about Clark and Jurcina. That does help explain some of the diminished spark on the Caps' part tonight. I liked both players very much and will miss them and wish them well.

There were a couple of calls I really didn't understand tonight. The penalty on Backstrom for high sticking resulted in 4 minutes instead of two. Will someone please help me understand why that happens (a four minute instead of 2)?

Also, Laich got called for "diving" when he clearly got knocked over into the net/post. The crowd was yelling "Ref, You S*ck" over and over and over for that one. Caps would have had a power play but instead had a 4 on 4.

But, even if the refereeing wasn't great, the Caps just couldn't get an offense going. Green seemed to be out on the ice for the whole game----I know that's not possible, but the guy was out there a lot and looked kind of tired and gave away the puck. Ovie also had trouble holding on. Semin didn't seem to want to shoot. Overall a pretty lackluster effort.

So, Boudreau trades Clark and Jurcina yet keeps Theo in the goal when he was CLEARLY having a horrible night. Why did he have a problem "trading" him tonight for Neuvy? Hmmm.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 28, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

OK, moving onto the next game. Uh oh, it's the Sharks. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 28, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME AND TRADE THOUGHTS:
Can you say mulligan? Ouch that was a clunker tonight. Penalty killing at times looked great - Carolina got some bounces. Then the PP can't go back to back with no shots at all - inexcusable.

Theodore - first three goals - are not on him. The 4th - that is all him. He can't give rebounds out like that. Honestly - you have to corral some shots straight on - easier said than done but he moaned about wanting back in and he made some great saves but I think all around the team was just blah tonight.

Yes the trade I'm sure was on the minds of the players but it's a business and you have to play on. If they let that trade affect them - then go play in another league. Bounces, hard effort, it all went Carolina's way but when you're on top of the conference you have to eat these bottom feeders up but for whatever reason the Canes have given the Caps fits all year and play them tough. Credit to the Canes.

For the Caps - it's time to refocus.

Jurcina and Clark - can't say thanks enough for their contributions here especially Clark. He was here through the rebuild and hung tough but sometimes the business side wins out. Best of luck to both of them in Columbus. Hello Jason Chimera. Time to get in here - mix it up - and make some things happen.

Take a deep breath haha - what a day. Once again - GO WEST YOUNG CAPS. GO WEST. It's off to the shark tank. Time to reel in the sharks.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 28, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

What a horrible game. BMo and Green both missed open nets.

Oh well..time to re-adjust and head back out West..

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elicea | December 28, 2009 9:46 PM |

Hey, don't be logical!

Theo certainly looked pretty bad tonight...but so did the whole team.

Missing repetitive easy lay-ups isn't helping.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

jonathan6, agree, we have had a tough time with Carolina all year so far.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 28, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 28, 2009 9:52 PM |

Too much logic!

BTW guys, the Pens lost 4-1 to Toronto not too long ago. :)

It's just a regular season game.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Not gonna write much because I don't wanna get stuck on here for hours like earlier today. All I'm gonna say is that some people on here keep calling me a Theo hater. As I've said before I'm not, but performances like today make it very difficult for me to like him. I'm beyond sick of this crap. Any goalie can have bad nights, but with him it just happens way too often.

The team played well tonight, IMO, and played hard, but his bad goaltending reflected badly on the whole team and changes people's perception. Theo put us in a hole early, from which our guys did their best to crawl out of only to be knocked backed down by that 5th goal. It's the same old story with him. Terrible rebound control (it's like the shots hit a wooden door) and recovery time.

You can defend him all your want, but the results speak for themselves. We have an awesome team that is way above .500 this season and yet his record has now dropped to 9-6-4. Without him 15-3-2. That's an unbelievable difference. And I'm not even gonna mention how bad he was last year.

So yeah, call me a Theo hater all you like, but the fact is he sucks and the sooner his Capitals' career is over the better.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I respectfully disagree randinno. I am on board with Johnathon6.

I guess Backstrom gets a free ride for his high sticking, and BMo does for his penalty.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

dccitizen1: The Canes player, Jokinen, lost a tooth on that Backie high stick.

It took Jokinen's parents nine months to make that tooth, so Backie should be happy it only cost him four minutes for taking it away.

It's games like this that drive me to drink.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 28, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino - love your passion as a fellow Caps fan. I admit I'm not a huge fan of Theo myself but nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing him become consistently rock solid.

I have to admit though for tonight and I only mean tonight - I disagree on Theo putting the team in a hole early. That first goal he has no shot on that rebound and they're down 2 - men - he made a few good stops before it and they almost killed it.

Second goal - bang bang - Staal smacks it out of the air. Not much he could.

Third goal - it was a nice shot under the crossbar after he was keeping other shots out. It happens.

I do not like his rebound control - he has none it seems most of the time. It seems like he's a big giant peice of rubber and when pucks hit him - they bounce WAYYYY out. Not sure what is up with that.

It wasn't soo much on him tonight. Yes he has to make saves but he's not responsible for the numerous shifts where Carolina kept coming and pinned Washington in its zone for what seemed like an eternity.

The team didn't play well as a whole. Honestly if it weren't for the PP opportunities and sporadic rushes of effort at times - this game would never have been as close.

I believe Richmondphil said it best - just another regular season game. It was a clunker. They let out a bad fart before heading west. Hopefully the colon is cleansed and they'll be ready for the Sharks on Wednesday. :)

Only my opinion.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 28, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@ j762

Disagree. You can always say that the goalie has no chance on the 2nd shot, but you have to look at how that 2nd shot was created. I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. Theo's rebound control is one of the worst of any goalie in the league. It's not that the pucks don't stick to him, but it's like he never heard of trying to deflect shots to corners. They all come bouncing out right in the slot. No defense is gonna look good in front of a goalie like this.

I obviously can't say for certain, but I believe that if Varly was in there tonight we would've allowed no more than 3 goals, maybe even 2. At least 2 of the goals were after bad rebounds, including the first one of on a 5-on-3 when our guys did a tremendous job (especially Alzner) and the last goal it took him a century to recover after the initial shot on which he completely threw himself out of position. I knew it was gonna be a goal as soon as he made the initial save.

It really amazes me how the same people who judge our rookie goalies so harshly always defend Theo after yet another stinker.

Like I said, I watched the game very closely with no distractions and our guys played very hard tonight and deserved better, but Theo's crappy goaltending changes people's perception and reflects badly on the whole team.

Green, Ovechkin, Flash and many others played a very good game and tried their damnest to win, but you can't win with goaltending as bad as what we got tonight.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 10:17 PM

You're a Theo hater.
You're a Theo hater.
You're a Theo hater.
You're a Theo hater.

There, that was all I liked.

Seriously, Theo's stats, like 37th in GAA, are nothing to write home to Quebec about. But Erskine's play was putrid.

Once Poti and Pothier return, there's no reason on God's white ice sheet not to move another of the Fearsome Fivesome (I'm excluding Green, Alzner and Schultz from the 8 defensemen) and then bring in Collins as the 8th d-man. Then, soon afterward, when Carlson is ready, another one can go. And maybe Orlov is ready next year.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 28, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

theo was not sharp tonight - but to say the team played well is a bit of a stretch. in neuvy's last three wins the team was clearing the puck from the crease when neuvy did not control it - tonight it was left sitting on the doorstep for the canes to whack at.
i do fell that varly and neuvy can be the 1a/1b on this team but it will have to wait until next year or a serious injury to theo before it happens.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 28, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Caps were mdiocre...Theo was embaressing! Those of you not blaming him...three of those goals he clearly should have had! Theo looked shaky all nigh. It is also hard for a team to get motivated when Tho lets a goal in right after we score....twice!

Posted by: capscoach | December 28, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Theo at this stage of his career is a good backup at best even if he thinks he's still a number one goalie.

Posted by: joek443 | December 28, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@ Johnathan6

We'll have to agree to disagree. I have a very different impression of the game than you do. I think neither goalie will remember this game as their best, but Theo was especially bad. The only goal I would not blame him on completely is that one timer out of mid air. The rest were either savable or results of bad rebound control.

He was in there tonight because BB wanted to give him a game. He figured it was safe vs. the league's worst team at home. As it turns out it wasn't. Theo certainly didn't do himself any favors as far as future starts tonight. I think that's one thing everyone can agree on.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Look, the problem with Theo, and I hate to say this, as I can be accused of not being PC, but...he's a midget.

Yes, a little person.

Notice how many times the last few games Neuvy came out with pads down and extended and arms in a cross and he kind of absorbed the puck into himself? I don't know quite how to describe the position he gets into, except to say it's some kind of strange cross.

Meanwhile, Theo, because he's only like 5 foot 4, he keeps upright (so puck doesn't go over shoulder) and, as consequence, the puck goes flying off his pads directly into the slot.

mrstominfl1 keeps saying, "Why do they let him play? He's too small to play. They should use the bigger ones."

Yes, leave it to a woman to figure it out:

Size matters. Sometimes.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 28, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

@ capscoach

---

Excellent point. People who defend Theo and blame the players seem to forget that. Getting this kinda goaltending is very deflating. If anyone played team sports where a goalie is involved you know that (hockey or soccer, for example). When your goalie lets in clunkers the psychology of the whole team goes down the toilet. You just feel like what's the use in trying.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Theo isn't the only reason the Caps lost but he wasn't giving the Caps a chance to win. I was at the game and can't remember him making a single big save and the third and forth goals were both weak at best. If you let in two soft goals and don't steal at least one away that should have been a goal the team is not going to win. Period. Most of the Canes shots were from the outside except for the goals. We had some bad bounces and the refs we awful missing two easy calls on Carolina and then calling the BS dive after missing a trip against Ovechkin. The team looked like they had no leadership ealry and I think not having their captain did hurt them.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 28, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

As much as the Caps did not play well, I dn't think Carolina played great either. A goalie can't alway make a miraculous save, but it is their job to keep the team in the game, and Theo failed miserably!

Posted by: capscoach | December 28, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

I don't think size is the issue. It's true that it's harder to be a good goalie if you're small, but Varly isn't much larger than Theo. Jose is 5'11, Varly's 6'1 and they weigh about the same. There have been many smaller goalies that were good. Theo himself used to be very good. It's just that sometimes time catches up with you. For whatever reason he just isn't very good anymore.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@Ranndino - I see where you're coming from with the rebound control and on the 1st and 3rd goals - maybe he should've had them corralled but it's not like they were the gigantic kick out rebounds that he is prone to giving up. Oh well no worries.

You're right he didn't do himself any favors for the future tonight. We shall see what happens. :)

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 28, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe Theo is 5'11... that's like Charles Barkley being listed at 6'8.

everyone in basketball knew he was only 6'4

Posted by: joek443 | December 28, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

@ icehammer97

"can't remember him making a single big save"

Neither can I. Like I said crappy goaltending reflects badly on the team. At no point was Theo under any siege in this game. Our guys played well enough to beat Carolina tonight, but he allowed 5 goals in a game in which he was pretty well protected.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I think we are arguing about nothing. It doesn't matter who to blame, it was all-around a poor showing.

I want Varlamov to be back to get back into the swing of thins. He seems to be like Luongo in the sense that he takes a while to get hot.

Did Backs get a point? Hope he didn't end his point streak.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Actually Varly is much bigger than Theo.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Aww, I just went to washcaps.com and Clark came up as the background. Guess they haven't changed that yet...

Posted by: dc33 | December 28, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 10:47 PM |

See: game 7 second round last year.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1

I assume the guy that Nicky high sticked must have bled as a result. They'll call a double minor if blood results.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Bad game all around!

The Caps were probably already emotional over the Clark trade.

The double minor on Nicky (and then the call on Green) seemed to give Carolina the confidence they needed to get something going.

So many times, the Caps will get so close to killing off a penalty only to have a goal scored against then when the penalty is almost over. It happened tonight. And on another one, they had skated off the penalty and then couldn't clear the puck.

What a disgraceful save percentage. Only 80%.

(The day was already not good. There was a delay on the Orange Line at McPherson square. After waiting a fewe minutes, we got off in disgust at Farragut West and walked to Farragut North and caught the Red line there.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@Jonathan6

On the more optimistic news front, a Sharks' fan posted on Japers today that they're not happy with the fact that we acquired Chimera just in time for our game with them. Chimera is great at killing the Sharks.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75
As a fan and eternal optimist - I was reading a similar comment from a fan on ESPN.com. Looking forward to see Chimera post his first hat trick for the Caps on Wednesdsay night at the Shark Tank. You heard it here first LOLOLOL ok so I'm getting wayyyy ahead of myself. Let's hope he's contributing immediately on the scoresheet. :)

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 28, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

@ richmondphil

Backie's high stick was accidental. Happens. You have every right to disagree, but I wonder how many goals does Theo need to let in for you to agree that he tanked the game? 8, 10, 12? Just give me a ballpark figure.

I'm actually gonna bother and give you individual stats if the above Wins / Loss record didn't convince you.

Varlamov is ranked 6th in GAA. Theo 37th. That's out of a total of 45 goalies who qualify for the leader table.

Varlamov is 7th in save %. Theo 38th.

Theo's rankings are as of BEFORE this game.

They both play for the same exact team. Case closed.

@Tominfl1

I've been meaning to bring up Collins for like a month, but keep forgetting. Everyone forgot he even exists. He did great when he was called up last year. Really, really impressed me.

@joek443

That may be true. I haven't personally measured him. My point was that he used to be very good at some point and I don't believe he shrunk since. Although it is possible that the shooters have gotten better on average. I don't remember as many players being able to hit top corners whenever they feel like it in mid 1990's.

OK, on that note I should check out. Man, this is addicting.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the Caps practice tomorrow morning?

Posted by: Avar | December 28, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

While Theodore doesn't necessarily s*ck all the time, when he has a bad game, he REALLY has a bad game. That was true last year.

In any case, he will be gone at the end of this season.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I think you need to read everything I type first.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

Are you saying that in some circles Chimera is known as Roy Scheider?

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

The defense doesn't need work. Period.

This defense, not matter who you plug in, is exactly what it'll be. You can wish and beg for a Pronger, a stand-out blueliner, blah blah blah - this system is what it will forever be. BB has a style and a great part of that is the offense providing cover for the defense: look at the dif between goals scored and goals against - this team is not, nor will it ever be, the Devils or the Wild. And, truth be told, I don't want to show up every night and watch a team just lock down and watch a 1-0 game.

Pick your poison - this team, as it is, with the defenders we have, can win the Cup. I'm fine with six goals tonight....it hurts but it's a short term event.

This team can win the Cup.

Posted by: saintex | December 28, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@Avar

I assume so -- at 10:00. And then they leave for San Jose.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

See: game 7 second round last year.

Posted by: richmondphil

---

That was 1 game. Yes, very bad timing, but still. Theo has been consistently terrible as the stats I posted confirm beyond any subjective doubt. For Varly bad games have been an exception. For Theo good games have been an exception. Big difference.

All right, I seriously need to get off the comp. Moving on to Wed and the Sharks. Hopefully we'll have a real goalie in net for that one.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

@Satts

I think Alzner was gassed today. He stayed for extra work after the morning skate since he was being "scratched" for today's game. However, since Juice was traded, Alzner was no longer a scratch.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

Well he's apparently a Shark Killer.

(Emotionally, I'm shocked that the Caps acquired him. He's been the main reason I've rooted against the Blue Jackets since November 1 of this year.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

@Avar - I don't believe they practice tomorrow. I read and heard they left for Cali after tonight's game. The sooner the better getting out west.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 28, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

When is Varly coming back? Or does the New Kid need to prove his "virth" against a good team once again?

Nothing like Baptism by fire for earning the #1 goal tending job.

I take it that Neuvy is now our #1 goal tender -- by default.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Theo should be more of a standup style goalie at this stage of his career because he just doesn't have the quickness that he used to have... he can learn something from Irbe who was a good little goalie himself and wasn't really a butterfly goalie.

Posted by: joek443 | December 28, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why you are talking to me about Varlamov.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

@Jonathan6

You may be more up on the Caps' practice and flight schedule than I am.

This may show how much I know but I was assuming that it would be too late to take a long flight to Calif tonight. They wouldn't be able to fly until midnight by the time you factor in getting out of Verizon and the bus trip to the airport. Which would mean getting into Calif at 3:00 a.m. California time.

It almost seems better for them to fly to Cali tomorrow afternoon and getting there at night. It's easier to adjust to California time from here than the other way around.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 28, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

______________

FYI, hockey is a team sport. I refuse to beleive that professional athletes carry these pee-wee attitude that who's in net affects their play. I also refuse to beleive that just a goalie can lose a game.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 - I don't remember where I saw it but I swear the Caps were going to charter out after the game tonight. I belive Laughlin mentioned it once or twice during the broadcast tonight. I could be wrong.

From your perspective - it may make more sense to travel tomorrow.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 28, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the practice talk. I'll just call Kettler in the AM.

Posted by: Avar | December 28, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | December 28, 2009 11:44 PM
i agree.
theo was far from 'good' tonight. it might just be me - but when varly or neuvy is in net - the d seems to make better plays in front of the net with them than they do with theo.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 28, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

@ avar I think they already left. This is from TEB's twitter

Jason Chimera passed his physical here at Verizon Center and headed straight to the airport. Will catch up to him in San Jose.

Makes it sound like the team is already on a plane

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 29, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

sorry, i can't blame theodore tonight. he was hung out to dry.

if the team can't get motivated cause he's in net - that's another issue.

but, the D did it's best to give Carolina as many layups as possible.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 29, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

@icehammer
Thanks, I guess that settles it. Crap.

Posted by: Avar | December 29, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised that noone mentioned the atrocious officiating tonight. Ovechkin gets tripped in the 3rd period, no call! Offsetting minors towards the end of the game, c'mon!!!

I have never joined in for the "Referee S***! chant before as I did tonight, and actually I never recall one that went as long as this one did with the entire Verizon Center joining in.

I guess the referee did not like the trade either.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | December 29, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Political_Stratgst

Agreed...not excusing the way they played, but that call on Laich was HORRIBLE...and very possibly cost us the game! It was pretty amazing hearing 18,000 fans chant ref u suck and all of them pointing at the screen!

Posted by: capscoach | December 29, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse