Tonight's Lineup in Philly (Updated)

Based on the players on the ice right now, here is what the lineup for tonight's preseason game against the Flyers figures to look like:

Forwards
Laich-Fedorov-Semin
Clark-Backstrom-Fehr
Laing*-Steckel-Bourque
Grant McNeill*-Gordon*-Bradley*

Defensemen
Schultz-Poti
Erskine-Jurcina
Alzner-Lepisto

Goalies
Johnson, Theodore

*It's believed that Laing, Gordon and Bradley took the morning skate but won't be playing. That probably means the lineup will be fleshed out with Hershey call-ups.

*McNeill, a defenseman by trade, is in the lineup as a forward to provide a measure of toughness since Brashear isn't. Just in case, you know? He said he hasn't played forward in years.

*Clark said he's playing left wing for the first time since his days in Calgary.

*Johnson is starting tonight, which means Theodore will play the full 60 minutes in the final two preseason games.

*Kozlov and Varlamov (both nursing groin muscle injuries) did not skate.

Update:Andrew Gordon, Jay Beagle and Alexandre Giroux were recalled from Hershey and will be in tonight's lineup.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 1, 2008; 10:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Post Practice Briefing
Next: Flyers Clip Caps, 2-1

Comments

Interested to see How Jose does in the final preseason games.

Posted by: todder | October 1, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Glad Theodore is playing max minutes in his last two games, he needs it. He has looked average to below average in his games thus far, which is beginning to concern me.

Posted by: Graig From Parkville | October 1, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Well, we gotta lose some preseason games, right?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Lets hope Semin fares better with Philly this preseason. *sigh* Wonder what kind of team Philly will dress - more minor league guys or closer to a full vet squad (since they have played one more pre-season than the Caps)

Posted by: Grape8 | October 1, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

fyi, i've got some tickets posted on ebay for upcoming games. great seats. check it out if you are interested.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 1, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna be really interested to see how alzner and lepisto do skating together

Posted by: Seahawk | October 1, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Does not matter who the Flyers dress - it will be physical (the rookies played just like the big boys). Glad Grant and Erskine will be there since Brash is not!

Has Laing had any preseason ice time?

Posted by: Boo! | October 1, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

This was BB's answer to when asked about making the final trimmings of the roster:

“I would tell them quite frankly to keep doing what they’re doing and let the chips fall where they may,” says Boudreau. “A guy like Chris Bourque for example, who has arguably been our best forward in the games that he has played, he has to continue to do what he is doing to make the powers that be make decisions based on his performance. Sometimes it’s in your hands and sometimes it’s out of your hands. But the good athletes just play to the best of their ability and say, ‘Here I am.’

“The good thing about is, if you’re smart, you realize that there are 29 other teams in the league looking at you. So if there’s not enough room for one player to be in [here], some team might say, ‘You know what? We’re a little weak at that position and we could use that guy, he’s going to become a player.’ And then the phones start ringing, and who knows what happens.’

Posted by: Pat | October 1, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Interested to see how d-men 4-6 do, and crossing everything that no one gets hurt.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 1, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

(Re-post from the previous)

Rachel:
I think I am one of the few who has not written off Juice. I thought he was pretty good when he came to the Caps (and actually wondered why the Bruins let him go). But last season he was non-existent. I am hoping that he was lost in the shuffle last season, and that he will settle down and play to his potential. He is still young, and he is a big guy. Kinda like Flash - I have never been a big fan of his (and never even thought he played "pretty good"), but he is young and big - he has potential. I give them both this season before I write them off. I get the feeling that Alzner and Lepisto are just a smidge immature for the bigs, but I have not seen either one of them play a lot, so I can't even say that with a great deal of confidence. No matter how it plays out, I think we will still be weak on the blue line this season (not terrible, just not strong). We are definitely more of an offensive than a defensive threat.

Posted by: Boo! | October 1, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I said Flash - I meant Schultz (but I guess that kinda applies to Flash, too! ;-))

Posted by: Boo! | October 1, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody know what the deal with Joe Finley is?

Posted by: Seahawk | October 1, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

was greeney practicing today?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I wish Johnson well tonight. Poor guy has been under-rated in DC for a while now.

Sapper

Posted by: Sapper | October 1, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Finley is in his senior year at North Dakota. He's dying to win a national championship as UND has failed to win one during his first three years despite being in the Frozen Four the past two seasons.

Posted by: C-A-P-S | October 1, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Caps win tonight 8-2

Posted by: 828 | October 1, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Finley is playing his last year in college this year with the Sioux

Posted by: seahawk | October 1, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that they're trying Clark on the left. I'm sure this is just an experiement but it does open up a RW slot for Fehr.

It stinks that there really is no room for Fehr at this point and he can't go to Hershey without going through waivers. He would certainly benefit from having some top line minutes down there

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 1, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Is Grant Mcneill on a two-way this year or is he an AHL only?

Posted by: Hitmen17 | October 1, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I knew he was still at UND, i was just wondering if anything happened cause he came to rookie camp in 2007, but i don't remember hearing anything about him this year

Posted by: Seahawk | October 1, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@boo
yes he has had 1 game
assisted on the winner

Posted by: wendel | October 1, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

hey tarik
any idea why laing bradley and gordon are sitting?
does hershey callups mean final decisions have been made?

Posted by: wendel | October 1, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Flyers line up for tonight:

Forwards
Goon-Thug-Whiner
Dirtyplayer-Enforcer-Crybaby
Cheapshot-Punk-Noskillfighter

Defense
Agitator-Crosschecker
Diver-Knuckledragger
Bludgeoner-Cheater

Goal
Complainer

Posted by: Flyer h8er | October 1, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riddler | October 1, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I think Laing, Gordon and Bradley aren't playing because they're trying to spread out the minutes and make sure guys don't get over-used.

Posted by: Tarik | October 1, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Al's looking good. Last tiem I remember seeing him he could not stand up because his back was so bad.

Posted by: RobMonroe | October 1, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Granty.

Posted by: Egon | October 1, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

wendel: thanks!

Posted by: Boo! | October 1, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it's a shame Al had the knee and back problems that cost him a long career. He made the most it when he was healthy. Always exciting and fun to watch.

Posted by: Riddler | October 1, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

+1 for Al and his endeavors.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 1, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

G. McNeil was a demon at the home game against the Canes. Hope he stays in that form against the hated Flyers.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I remember a game where Iafrate got a breakway and ripped a 100 MPH slap shot from about 10 feet away and scored rather than try to make a move. He was fun to watch,

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 1, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I hope there's an online broadcast because I really wanna see McNeill put a beatdown on a Flyer...any Flyer.

Posted by: Jill | October 1, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Johnny...Make it 3 wins tonight.

We need a solid game from you.

Posted by: Cary | October 1, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

If those guys on 4th line are not playing......then who is>?

Posted by: Rich C | October 1, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The Flyers released goaltender Maxime Ouellet from his pro tryout late yesterday, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

Posted by: Riddler | October 1, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

You know I'm pretty irked that they are not televising any of the Caps preseason games....Especially when I was flipping through the channels this past weekend and Comcast was televising the Canes vs Flyers!!! What the F*&#!!!!!

Posted by: Phil R | October 1, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

THE WILD THING #34 BIG AL

Posted by: fat jack | October 1, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

http://tinyurl. com/3ncp9h

Posted by: Fedorov Done? | October 1, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fedorov Done? | October 1, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Cans vs. Flyers was only televised because it was the last NHL gme being played in the spectrum, since it will be imploded at end of the phantoms season.

Posted by: Chad | October 1, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Poor Ovie - slighted again:

"The 'Is This The Year?' campaign features four national television spots with Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane, Henrik Lundqvist and Dion Phaneuf, in addition to team-specific television, print, store point of sale and Web ads using players from each of the 30 member clubs."

He may not be in the national campaign (cryin' shame), but I suppose at least he will get local coverage.

Having said that, I have to admit, Crosby's spot is interesting:

Posted by: Boo! | October 1, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Ya know Boo, with injuries and the players they've lost because of free agency, I'm thinking that the Pens aren't going to be taking the Atlantic. So, I'd go with "this isn't the year" for Sid.

Posted by: Steve R | October 1, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Cool commercial, indeed

Posted by: Riddler | October 1, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The Pens do have Letang and Goligoski to fill in for Whiteney and Gonchar. Letang was supposed to push Gonchar last year for PP time but never got as much of a chance as they expected. Goligoski tore up the AHL playoffs last year, averaging more than a point per game as a D-man if I am not mistaken.

I hate the pens but this could be divine intervention for them. Get the young kids some trial by fire experience, hang around enough to be in the playoff picture when Gonchar and Whitney come back and then all of the sudden they have 4 viable offensive d-men.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 1, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

yes, will agree that Sid's commercial is quite cool!

With Gonchar and Whitney out for quite a while, coupled with who the Pens lost in the offseason, I don't think they will win their division... the Flyers will! I can see them getting healthy by the end of the season and going to the Conference Finals... but not any further...

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 1, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Clearly the "Is this the year" campaign is age-ist and boring. Aside from Ovie (clearly the most marketable player in the NHL) I would have gone with:

Chris Chelios (is this the year he finally retires?)

Rick DiPietro (is this the year his contract starts making sense?)

Sean Avery (is this the year he launches his clothing line?)

Posted by: Jill | October 1, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Jill,

Here's an addition you inadvertently left off

Olli Jokinen (is this the year he finally makes the playoffs?)

Posted by: Riddler | October 1, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@ Seahawk

Finley was not at camp this year likely because he would have had to pay his own way because he is still in college.

Posted by: Mark | October 1, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
LOL!! :-) Well said! Although, while many others have also said it and I do agree, no one should take them lightly. They played well without Crosby, and the Caps and Canes played well with other major injuries. Anything can happen ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 1, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

well crosby doesn't have to be in that picture again anytime soon, because they won't be in the finals...

Posted by: таня | October 1, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Will you be hosting the Friday afternoon chat sessions once again starting next Friday?

Posted by: Riddler | October 1, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Evgeni Malkin (is this the year he gets plastic surgery?)

Posted by: 828 | October 1, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo! In the last thread I commented that Melrose would be back in the booth by the end of the season. When the TBL don't make the playoffs, he will be as a quasi-guest. The over-involved new owners of the TBL (remind you of an over-involved owner in the NFL?) will ditch BM (aka Greasylocks), release a bunch of players (sorry Ollie), and try to win the FA season again. The team has no defense and the new parts will not mesh well and some of the stars (e.g. Lecavlier & St. Louis) are coming off serious injuries. They are putting too much pressure on Stamkos to develop right away. Oh, and Prospal will go back to his pouty mode and be traded again. They have lost the leadership that got them to the playoffs and cup. This team goes right back to dead last.

Posted by: JIM | October 1, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I will crush crosby

Posted by: ОВЕЧКИН | October 1, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Jill

Not very lady like wanting to put a hurtin' on a Flyer - any Flyer. Tsk tsk!

Beautiful sentiments, though.

828

While I want the Caps to win, I don't think it'll be anywhere close to that much of a slaughter.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Uncle Al the kiddie's pal -- some #34 video

Posted by: uncatim | October 1, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Per Tim Leone of the Patriot news Alendre Giroux, andrew Gordon and Jay Beagle did not practice with the bears today because they will be playing for the caps tonight.

Posted by: Chad | October 1, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

uncatim
Great link-thanks. Look at all those Caps who were Flyers and vice versa.
Who's the announcer with Jeff Rimmer? His name escapes me.

Posted by: Riddler | October 1, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but it looks like the Flyers website has a link for the live Webcast of the game tonight. Can we assume that out of market IP addresses will be blocked?

Posted by: Fro | October 1, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@Riddler,

First name (I think) was Mike, but I'm with you.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 1, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Anonymous,

Yes, Greenie skated this morning.

Posted by: OleMiss | October 1, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Quintin Laing,his wife Aimee, and son Hunter are celebrating this morning's birth of Hayden

Posted by: wendel | October 1, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@wendel: Whoa, congrats to the family! Got a source link?

Posted by: this space for rent | October 1, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Section 117-

Thanks Jeff Rimer and Mike Fournier (spelling?)
Thanks for the hint

Posted by: Riddler | October 1, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Fro: No, probably not. Besides, that's what web proxies are for! XD

Posted by: this space for rent | October 1, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wendel has always claimed to be somehow related to Quintin. Look back on most of his posts are mostly all Quintin related I know this because when Quintin is with the Bears he is on the Bears blog and he has not been on there since Quintin was promoted. I do not know the truth I am just stating what he said before lol.

Posted by: Chad | October 1, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

TSFR- gotcha.

Anyone renew their Sirius subscription yet? I just did and they raised the price a bit ($16.99 if you want the Sirius/XM "package"). I didn't realize the effects of the merger would go through this fast, but they did. Now I get the NHL channels, along with MLB etc. But most importantly- I get the NHL channels. Was worth the extra $4 a month.

Posted by: Fro | October 1, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Anytime Riddler, I was banging my head against the ceiling of the Cap Center with them when I was growing up.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 1, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

section117,

you going to be at the game on friday?

Posted by: capsfan98 | October 1, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I like Jill's commercial ideas better. I think the answers are "Never!", "When will it ever?", and "Doesn't he already have one?"

Oh, and thanks Roose for answering my question a few threads ago.

Game is going to be audio streamed tonight, right?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 1, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 1, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

facebook comments would support wendel's claims

Posted by: laings | October 1, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Seahawk and Mark: Finley did pay his own way to attend last summer's camp. This year he didn't attend because he was in summer school.

@ Everyone. Despite rumors to the contrary, none of these online streams have been geographically restricted so far. I see no reason to think this one will be.

Posted by: norske | October 1, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Andrew Gordon, Alex Giroux and Jay Beagle will play with the Caps tonight in Philly.

Posted by: Hitmen17 | October 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I could not get the caps stream from pa so I would say it is restricted.

Posted by: Chad | October 1, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@norske: Most likely not. Speaking as a professional in the field of Internet communication, the technical requirements involved in geographical blocking of websites is a PAIN. Some countries do it, but it is made easier by the fact that these countries know what all the blocks assigned in their country area. Doing this in the US where IP scheming is done differently is an entirely different problem, because the IP blocks are much more scattered (any such blocking has to be defined by IP). It's possible to do but not really feasible.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: this space for rent | October 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

If anyone's interested, the Rangers are losing to Metallurg, 3-1 early in the third period. NHL Network is showing the game.

Posted by: Joe B | October 1, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

mildly funny. And I stress mildly.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 1, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Chad:
I can get to the video streaming page, but there is no video yet (assumably because the game is not until tonight! :-)).

Posted by: Boo! | October 1, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Boo

that is what I got when I went to caps when they played not sure if Philly is under the same agreement but would be curious to know when game starts. I should get it because of being in hershey area is Philadelphia area.But keep me updated when game starts please.

Posted by: Chad | October 1, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

All,

If you go to washingtoncaps.com, it appears tonight's game will be streamed. The 1st story is about the game and there is a "play button". When you press the button it takes you to nhl network online....

Posted by: Leigh | October 1, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Chad:
I will unfortunately be on the road at that time (I wish I could record it), but it starts at 7pm. Good luck!

I have been meaning to ask, some of the guys at the Caps/Flyers rookie game were wearing mics - did anyone hear them during play?

Posted by: Boo! | October 1, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl

I love you. Just wanted to let you know...

Thanks for the link.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan98,

Yeah. Was looking for you last week, I didn't look hard enough. Think I might do the Monroeville Zombies jersey this time.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 1, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@ Fro - Thanks for the Sirius info! Until now, the only hockey i was getting was HNIC (which is cool) but it is only on for like an hour a day. No games. I'll have to check my channels.

Posted by: Grape8 | October 1, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

awww, thanks Greg. I do what I can.

I have XM streaming on my desktop and started getting a Home Ice channel.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 1, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Will the game be on XM tonight? I thought they weren't starting to broadcast until the regular season...

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | October 1, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

No games on XM until the regular season. Just checked.

Posted by: Leeguru | October 1, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

BTW, if any of you are on LinkedIn.com, there's a Capitals Group there. Me and 250 other fans are on it. We're supposed to get notices of "events". Since I just joined, I don't know if there have been any events.

Basically, LinkedIn.com is a free networking site. Good for people to keep in touch, and for recruiters.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

So, anybody have a guess where Olie and Smith's GAA are going to come in at? Tampa's D just plain stinks.

Posted by: Steve R | October 1, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S: I'm on LinkedIn and have requested to join the Capitals group. Thanks for the tip! I need to log into that site more.

Also, for those of you going to the STH party in Bowie tomorrow night: DRESS WARMLY. A roller coaster in 45 degree weather is a chilly proposition, and it's going to be about the same weather you'd expect for Halloween night (those of you with kids).

Posted by: this space for rent | October 1, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the LinkedIn group and so is CT Caps fan.

Posted by: Jill | October 1, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Oops - no there haven't been any events but there are discussions and one of them asks about interest in a networking event on a game night.

Posted by: Jill | October 1, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

The game has started on the Filthy website, at least the pregame warmups are on right now.

Posted by: Bob | October 1, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

the game has started on the video feed, but there is no sound and its about 2 minutes behind the radio broadcast

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

anyone else's sound horrible?

Posted by: Yosh | October 1, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh: Yes. They need a filter on the mic or something to reduce the clipping. Or they are maxing out the sound levels. But yes, it sounds pretty bad. It does have video though... ;)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 1, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

All the meatheaded Philly color guy wants to talk about is friggin fighting. Jesus.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Watch the video feed, but listen to Steve and Mike on the radio... It's SO much better!!!

Posted by: Tracy | October 1, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I tried, but the video is behind the good audio, which drives me crazy.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Flyers are using just about all of their big guns according to the game summary on the Caps website. Richards, Briere, Carter, Hartnell, Gagne, Knuble, Coburn, Timonen and our old boys Eminger and Metropolit are all skating.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 1, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

They pan McNeil for fighting, but praise Cote.. wtf. Then they make fun of him for playing the ECHL. I hate Philadelphia.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Jordan -- it's OK. Just think back to how Brashear manhandled Cote in the past...and how he'll do it again this season.

Posted by: Jeff | October 1, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Jordan,

can we get a quote please? What do you consider 'making fun of?'

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

whats the score?
anyone?

Posted by: Bladeon | October 1, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@Bladeon

1-0 Philly

2nd Period

Posted by: Phil9 | October 1, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bladeon | October 1, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

First guy about McNeil: He'll probably end up playing in Hershey this year..

Other guy: If he even makes Hershey!

Laughter, then talking about how he didn't even know there was a puck on the ice. They said that line 3 times because they must have thought it was so clever.

Then they said when he goes back to the ECHL he can tell the story about how he fought Cote, as if Cote is a friggin legend or something.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Ummm...What was that about McNiell? He's no Brashear.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

They said something to the effect of "When he goes back down to the minors he can tell all his teammates how he took on a real NHL heavyweight."

But it is ironic to hear Philadelphia announcers talk about how he had it coming based on how he was playing when the Flyers have always had a history of dirty tough guys, and Cote is yet another one.

Posted by: Jeff | October 1, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Didnt Brashear say that Cote was one of the toughest pound for pound fighters in the league?

Id go back and tell everyone I fought Cote.

What they said is probably true though, he is on the AHL/ECHL bubble.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Can we buy an out? We need to work on clearning the zone.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Beagle just owned Downie in a little scrap. GO BEAGLE. Downie is rolling around on the ice hurt.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

that was a better fight.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Beagle is my new hero!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I guess whether you see someone as being dirty is all relative.

Very few true fighters are actually dirty players. They have a role and they do it. Brashear is one of the best at it as is Cote. Neither of those guys is going to put is 30 goals a season. They are there for energy and physical play.

Its not like Cote or anyone other fighter is pulling a Tyson and biting people while fighting...that would be a dirty fighter right there.

Fighters are fighters, plain and simple.
Nobody here can tell me that Brashear is a saint but he is far from dirty too.

Cote, there isnt much skill there but makes big hits and plays his roll well, but also far from dirty.

Posted by: Bladeon | October 1, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I think he cracked his head on the ice when they fell.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I eat pieces of Downie for breakfast

Posted by: Cino Diccarelli | October 1, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, all relative

Beagle has a good fight against Downie, Downie goes down hurt and everyone celebrates.

doesnt matter how it happened, if you are one side you will think one way and the other side will think another.

Posted by: Bladeon | October 1, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Our PP needs to get going. It's not like we're lacking for opportunities against these doofs.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Bladeon,

We know. It's called being a fan.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Looks very disorganized out there. We have no flow at all. Passes aren't really connecting in stride, there's no anticipation at all, and our clearing our zone bites.

I'm sure that will improve during the year, but they should be better than they are.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

They're pretty much playing against the real deal Flyers with no Ovie, Nylander, Koz, Green..

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@Jordan

Cant argue with you on that.

Posted by: Me | October 1, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

As Jill mentioned, I am on LinkedIn. I use it for networking within my industry and happened to find the Caps linked in group. I hope they have some events, but until then I do participate in the discussions.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | October 1, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I like Johnny's flair for the dramatic in net. He's playing outta his mind.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Then of course they score as soon as I post that.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

So is it 2-0 Flyers? And how's the Alzner-Lepisto pair looking?

Posted by: honed | October 1, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

None of our D looks great tonight, to be honest.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

The real deal Flyers are making Juice and Erskine look like, well, Juice and Erskine.

Posted by: TJ2 | October 1, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Eminger looks really goood out there, eh? Maybe gmgm will let him play this year.

Oh, wait...

I know that there's no set lines yet, but there aren't really in the regular season, either. Coaches change the lines all the time. They'd better get used to making good passes and playing better positioning.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

if i see another failed outlet pass im going to murder someone

Posted by: mike d | October 1, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't want to be the first one to say it, but yes, the J&E Express are giving up pucks and getting caught outta position left right and center.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

The fools commentating said that Ovechkin is in the house. Can we get him dressed?

Posted by: Me | October 1, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

So, the good thing about Alzner-Lepisto is they are not Jurcina-Esrkine? Well that is something :p

Posted by: honed | October 1, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom scores from the corner as Biron gets caught behind the net!

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

The Backstrom scores! Love our Nicklas.

Question to those that are watching...Are Erskine and Jurcina both playing poorly or is it just the combo? Do they both bite or do they just bite as a pair?

Posted by: Kim | October 1, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I just bought 2 tickets to Friday's game on eBay for $3.30.

Hahahaha eBay..

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Erskine took two crap penalties early and can't make a breakout pass. Juice has been chasing people around and getting caught out of position. Bad enough alone, but put them together and it's reeaal ugly.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

We lost. We won't on Friday.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm not happy about 0-8 on power play. That downright bites, and is a sad reminder of last year. One of these coaches needs to take a few pages from Detroit.

Defense was not very good. There were no good clearing passes, and passes in general were off.

Someone mentioned Schultz's +/- last year as positive. Just remember that he spends time on the Penalty Kill. If he's on the ice on PK and gets scored on, it doesn't count against him on +/-.

Eminger should be getting a star of the game out there. He did good.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Johny looked really gooed out there, maybe he'll end up giving Theo a good run for his money. Beagle is my hero! I like how those two tools announcing for Philly were saying how Beagle was going to be sorry for taking on Downie - HA! Erskine is far from my hero. He was slow, out of position, and made wonderful passes...to the Flyers! The D was pretty bad all around. The forwards were pretty sloppy with the puck.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 1, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I think Fedorov was having a lot of trouble with the puck tonight. I wonder what was up with that.

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Can we please ship Erksine to the AHL already? If he doesn't clear waivers (not likely) who cares?

Posted by: JIM | October 1, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

For real. I know Sami and Alzner are young, but there's no way they could be any worse than Erskine and Juice were tonight (and often).

Posted by: Jordan | October 1, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

im lovin how philly dressed there team, when they knew the caps were gona be half ahl. still the end score 2-1 not bad, must say johnson played great, again. i love beags in hershey, im glad to see him doin work in dc. grant is a good fighter, i didnt get to se the fight tonight, but grant def fights heavywieght guys and wins quite a bit. and grant will def make the bears no doubt.

Posted by: ben b. | October 1, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse