Tonight's Lineup In Tampa

From what I could tell this morning, here are the guys who are going to Tampa:

Forwards:Bradley, Sutherby, Backstrom, Clymer, Semin, Steckel, Bourque, Fleischmann, Motzko, Wilson, Brashear and Nylander.

Defense:Erskine, Pollock, Jurcina, Green, Schultz and Boumedienne.

Goalies:Johnson and Cassivi.

Note: Ovechkin is going, but "just to watch," he said. Now that's passion.

Update:I'm hearing Neuvirth is headed back to juniors and Machesney is headed to Hershey. Waiting for confirmation, though.

Update:Jason Morgan has been assigned to Hershey.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 22, 2007; 11:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Details on New HD Screens at Verizon
Next: Lightning's Boyle Hurt in Freak Accident

Comments

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Posted by: Billy | September 22, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

hey tarik, i thought sasha was sent down? Also, at this point is boumedienne a lock for opening night?

Posted by: Mike | September 22, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

that's pollock, as in jame.

Posted by: Tarik | September 22, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Any idea what's up with Eminger? There was talk of a minor injury but is he close to getting into a preseason game soon?

Posted by: Langway | September 22, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

oh gotcha, thanks....yea maybe eminger will be used in a trade? he hasnt played one game so far....just a thought

Posted by: mike s | September 22, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, fill me in on Pollock and Motzko. I'm surprised to still see them in camp; i thought they were hershey signings but they they're still around. What are your thoughts?

Posted by: 007 | September 22, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm counting five centers on that list: Nylander, Backstrom, Wilson, Sutherby, and Steckel. Any chance that Sutherby (or someone) will play on the wing so that Backstrom can actually play center tonight? I know they're trying to ease him in gently, but he's a center. I want to see him playing center, certainly in the preseason. And who else on that list could center the second line? Wilson? I'd rather see Backstrom.

Posted by: norske | September 22, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

To norske, i think they will go with Semin and Nylander and Backstrom on a line, they have been playing together in practice, so i want to see them play in a game together.

The return of the CBS line.

Posted by: Dave | September 22, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Semin Nylander Backstrom
Bourque Steckel Fleischmann
Bradley Sutherby Clymer
Brashear Wilson Motzko

Jurcina Boumedienne
Green Schultz
Erskine Pollock

Johnson

Posted by: looks good to me | September 22, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Dave and looks good, I agree that's what they'll probably do, but I still wish they'd let the kid play center.

Posted by: norske | September 22, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Great ... just when we actually get to see the Nylander & Semin line, NHL TV isn't going to boardcast the game *rolls eyes*

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

i was close, vogel has the lineups

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

To mike s, re: Eminger
According to ype=1&gnum=50">http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Preview&seas=20072008>ype=1&gnum=50 -- Eminger has been nursing an injury all training camp, and has just been cleared medically. He may appear in the next preseason game.

Posted by: I like Laich and Fehr is Fair | September 22, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link!

Posted by: MIKE S | September 22, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Morgan was assigned to Hershey with the 1st round of cuts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Ugh! Back to one-point games! This will be hell on my ulcers!

Posted by: Greg S. | September 22, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Caps with the win! 2-1. Steckel had a very good game as did Johnson. Semin with the game winner and Backstrom with the assist. Most importantly, no serious injuries. Tampa wasn't so lucky.

Posted by: ab28 | September 23, 2007 12:26 AM | Report abuse

If you think the 1-point games alone will be hell on the ulcers, take a look at the penalty sheets for the last three games. 3 or more penalty kills in the 3rd period each of the last 3 games, with 5(!) tonight.

If the shots through 2 periods are any indication, the young defense is still holding up okay by NHL standards, or fantastic by last year's standards; however, they're either getting tired or lazy in the 3rd and having to resort to penalties to cut down the chances, which is going to put us in bad situations. Let's hope it's something that can be coached out of them and not a more serious overall conditioning issue.

Posted by: Kurt | September 23, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

My confidence in Dave Steckel is finally being proven to have been correct all along. I was one of the few who railed for him to be a member of last season's Cap's crew. Unfortunately, however he was assigned to Hershey, where he proved to be an outstanding PK'er, and face off specialist. To GMGM's credit, he's obviously recognised his mistake.
You can't have too many centers on your roster. Having them gives you much more versatility and many more options ( Face offs, etc.)
Steckel's emergence is making it even more difficult for Bradley, Clymer, and Laich to make this team. Which is a good thing. It's my guess that only two of them are going to make the team. And, I think it'll be Clymer and Laich.
These are my line choices at the moment.
OV. ---- Kozlov ---- flash
Sasha ----Nylander ---Backstrum
Petty --- Gordon ---- Clark
Brashear- Steckel --- Sutherby

Yes, Id put Suts on 4th line RW. Gives you increased face off versatility, as well as grit. It's my guess that Laich and Clymer will end up being "Healthy scratchs" most nights; at least until someone gets nicked. Klepis is history.

On defense, Greenie's play is making it more difficult to keep the one dimentional J. Boomer. Thank god. I'm afraid Schultz is going to start the season in Hershey. Which I think would be a mistake. He proved last year he's a dependable young player. I'd much rather see him stick with the big club. My 2 cents.

Posted by: Puckguru | September 23, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Puckguru - I love those lines!

Posted by: Scai | September 23, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

You're right, Kurt. Another point is going 2-8 on PP last game? That's GOT to be a top priority! We HAVE to cash in on every opportunity we're presented. We don't have the D-men to save all of these 1 pointers. The other is to stay out of the penalty box. Way too many penalties. Most of them bone-headed ones, too. Hopefully, that's the pre-season jitters...

Posted by: Greg S. | September 23, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse