Tonight's Lineup: Islanders at Caps (Updated)

Jose Theodore will start in goal tonight against the NHL-worst Islanders, who will have Joey MacDonald in net but no Mark Streit (groin muscle strain). Milan Jurcina, meantime, will be the odd defenseman out for the Caps, while Donald Brashear (sprained knee) remains sidelined.

The rest of Washington's lineup will look like this:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Fehr
Fleischmann-Fedorov-Semin
Laich-Nylander-Kozlov
Steckel-Aucoin-Bradley

Defense
Morrisonn-Green
Erskine-Poti
Schultz-Pothier

Update: Erskine and Pothier were a pair during warmups, and Schultz and Poti were together. Apparently there was a late switch.
I'll have some additional notes and quotes after the game.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 1, 2009; 5:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Sign Draft Pick Della Rovere
Next: Mike Green Hits No. 30

Comments

I like those lines.

Anyone need a pair for tonight? Too late to ask for $$, but I can e-mail them to you if you provide an address. Sec. 411.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I will take the tickets. Email them at dwddavid@hotmail.com

Posted by: DavidWDuncan | April 1, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Not enough grit on the 2nd line. I would put Laich on the 2nd line and Flash on the 3rd, better balance. Just as an experiment.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

David:

I haven't seen you here. What are your bona fides? Don't want these re-sold.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

No problem. My brother and I will use them tonight.

Posted by: DavidWDuncan | April 1, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

There's a game tonight? It's like an oasis in a desert. 2 points tonight gotta have it. I hope the Pens beat NJ...what a dagger to root for them.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Can't root for the pens, so I am just going to try to ignore that game.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 1, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask: Send a spy by your seats and have them ask for David. ;)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

mike: It's easy... you're not rooting FOR the Pens, you're rooting AGAINST the Devils. Big difference! :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Have BB put Laich on the top line before? I don't recall ever seeing him there. I think that would be a nice experiment.

Wemiss21

I like that experiment too, but who would produce on that line. Flash, Nyls and Kozzie hardly score as it is now.

Posted by: bajgirl | April 1, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Headed to class for the night. First Caps game in what feels like ages and I can't even watch it. DVR, ahoy! Go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 1, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I HATE SCHULTZ

Posted by: wgassert | April 1, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Sigh, ok greg, I will try.

Wgassert, why don't you let us know how you really feel about schultz?

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 1, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask: Send a spy by your seats and have them ask for David. ;)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I forwarded those tickets on faith (had to pay for the privilege too!). Anyone want to check 411 Row J seats 11 & 12 be my guest, and report back.

Maybe I get good karma no matter how legit the request.

Go Caps!!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Bajgirl

I was thinking that Flash might pick up his scoring if paired with a couple of good set-up men like Nylander and Koz. Too optimistic?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask

I would have taken the tickets. I would have love to be in VC rocking the red on my 34th b'day. I'm not too disappointed though, my hubby and the kids planned a bash at the Greene Turtle(MD), so about 20 of us will be there watching the game.
The only thing that can make this more memorable if if the Caps win tonight.

GregAnnapolis: you're not rooting FOR the Pens, you're rooting AGAINST the Devils. Big difference! :)

Couldn't have said it any better.

Posted by: bajgirl | April 1, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

be careful what your wish for. pens have been caps killers in the playoffs for years.

Posted by: am_jim | April 1, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Wemiss21

Probably, but it could work seeing that Flash has gotten goals taken away for a couple weeks now.

Posted by: bajgirl | April 1, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

not a fan of Fehr on the first line instead of Kozlov.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 1, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I am rooting from home tonight. Resplendent in my Mike Green t-shirt.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

This blog moves at a turtle or supersonic speed, nothing in between.

Repost to
@uncatim
Thanks for the link about Thaler. I am happy to know that he is not leaving town.

Posted by: tELb | April 1, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | April 1, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the line combos for forwards. I really like having backs on line 2. Fedorov and OV are enough on the top line. Backy on line 2 should work well with Semin. He's prooven he doesn't need to be in OV's shadow, and can anchor a line without OV.

And laich has earned a higher spot than Fleischmann.

My suggestion-

Forwards

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Fehr
Laich-Backstrom-Semin
Kozlov--Nylander-Flash
Steckel-Aucoin-Bradley

Posted by: floms | April 1, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Green for Norris:

Leads all Defensemen in Goals and Points.

6th in +/- among Defensemen with a +24

Solid in minutes per game at almost 26 minutes a game (Lidstrom is 26:03 per game)

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, by putting Fedorov, Flash, and Semin on the same line, you basically create another 'care bear' line. You need at least one guy to back in the corners and crowd the net.

I really don't see why Flash is in place of Laich at the very least.

What do you guys think of my line combo suggestions? I believe that's what they did last Friday night, although without Semin I think.

Posted by: floms | April 1, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

floms

I would personally like to see Brooksie on the top line, but I agree, I don't see why Flash is on the 2nd line and Brooks on the 3rd.

BB wants production from the 3 lines, that's all I've got.

Posted by: bajgirl | April 1, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

ROVERE SIGNED?

M/14th STREET BULLIES????

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Good tie up by Green maybe saved a goal.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Make Laich learn to play RW and put him on the first line.

Flash-Backs-Semin

koz-nyls-fehr

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Chara has to win the Norris. Greenie's D is a lot better than most give him credit for and his O has been insane for a D man but you cannot ignore the force that Chara has been on the ice this year. Green should get nominated but not win it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Phew! Made it home just in time for the drop of the puck...

(Honk, honk, honk!) Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Feds-Flash-Semin looking dangerous

Posted by: DrAdamson | April 1, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Im blacked out on Yahoo stream here on the Eastern Shore of MD. Anyone have another stream for tonight???????

Posted by: jarresm | April 1, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Bears fan, what the hell is up with Pokuluk? He is on the Stingrays roster right now? He was supposed to be something...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Semin and Feds did some board work there...they're tougher than they get credit for in the corners.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you one thing about Pothier...he's sharp holding pucks in and moving it D to D in the zone. Every game his passes get a littler bit crisper.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

HELP!! On a layover at JFK and sucky Islanders have it blackedout here!!!!! I have legit center ice online. And I am now searching all um, not legit sites now. PLEASE HELP!!!!! Thanks. Hannah (who's halfway to DC for Friday game!!)

Posted by: hannah8 | April 1, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

That scripted cycle from the SOB line just was sick. You get zone time like that more often than not they're going to rack up points tonight.

Odd he went to semin on the top line so early.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Haha.

Isles dont even show their games against the money making teams.

that is sad.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Nylander with a really ill-advised between the legs to nobody pass in our zone.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Odd he went to semin on the top line so early.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:21 PM

Odd? I like them split up, but i cringe every time I see Fehr there.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil: I think the game is blacked out on Center Ice because the game is on MSG+, so you're "supposed" to watch it on that. Kinda hard if you are stuck in an airport though...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@phil

No debate there...believe me.

I like him going to it for a spark and when they are on it's just sick to watch the possession and zone time. Still I'd prefer Kozlov up there.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 7:25 PM

ah, im an idiot.

For some reason I was thinking that she couldn't see it at her home...at...JFK...yeah....

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Carlson looking good. Alzner still coming along as well. Help on D is coming.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Chara has fewer minutes per game than Lidstrom or Greenie, fewer goals than either, and a lower +/-.

He is formidable, no doubt, but the numbers say he is the 3rd best defensemen.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

+/- is a hard stat to judge it on.

Wideman's is so good because Chara draws the tough defensive assignments every night. On the whole he is the biggest defensive force in the league right now in my opinion and his offensive numbers aren't too bad either.

Screen in front, goal.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

good screen.

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

As I have stated previously:

The Norris is basically an offensive d man award nowadays.
As commendable as Chara's defensive play has been, Green's offensive play has been truly remarkable this season.

I think Green should get it. The problem is that I really dont see the league giving a team the Hart and Norris, with no one team being truly dominant all year.

Alright, lets get one back.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

That was a good goal by the Isles.

Time for a great goal by the Caps.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Chara plays MORE minutes than Green or Lidstrom btw.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

clear the friggin puck already

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Bears at Norfolk tonight. Leading 1-0 on a goal by Bourque in the first minute of the game. Neuvy in goal.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 7:37 P

fill me on what the deal with Pokuluk is.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Just found a hockey fan who works here, directions to sports bar that should have Islanders game on and assured me minimal abuse for rooting Caps. But so angry paid for center ice online for traveling, wanted to cancel but was too long - most I've ever needed it and I'm blocked. But this guy said tons of screens, Islanders game on and if not on already should switch for me. Jesus, coming from Buffalo - they don't ever black out anything Sabres. Too bad they aren't my team anymore! 2 mins and I dash to sports bar. Wish me luck!!

Posted by: hannah8 | April 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Hannah...let's hope Caps are just waiting for you to start watching before they start scoring.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Good place to say, Friday I'll be at the game solo. Looking for anyone sitting near me or meeting up for fun after game? Club 205 row C seat 5. I'll have retro Feds jersey on I had made or thin Russian OV jersey. Short dark hair, bigger punkish (but grown up) girl, I'm friendly!! I'll be checking here non-stop but also feel free to email, pasisz@tmail.com

Posted by: hannah8 | April 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Need to generate more shots from our zone time. Feels like they needed a period to warm up some.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Tough period. We're going to have to toughen up on that passing. Some nice puck possession in the zone, but sloppy on the D side and too many giveaways.

Cmon Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Another one of those apathetic periods of hockey from the Caps.

Posted by: CDon | April 1, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
Pokuluk had a concussion very early last season. After he was re-activated he was sent to S. Carolina and kind of bounced back and forth between the Rays and Hershey last year. Spent most of this year with the Rays. Really only came to Hershey when most of our Dmen were in Washington and we were shorthanded. He's a big kid, but not very fast and looks tentative to me. Just my opinion, but I wonder if the concussion maybe scared him. I haven't seen any positive progression in his game in two years.

Just a note: now Norfolk leading 2-1.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Bears now down 2-1.

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

pens now up 2-0

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I forgot about his concussion last year. He was packaged as being a real offensive force on the blue line when we drafted him and I remember him having some lofty expectations.

ah well...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

2-1 Pens now...another NJ loss would be so nice tonight.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Hows the game going? Should be a easy win tonight

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Caps up by 7. Piece of cake.

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Poti making ice angels.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

OV's 54th

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

someone please tell me the score is it 5-0 6-0 Caps ????? How many points does Semin have Hat trick yet????

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

ERSKINE WITH THE BODY SHOT!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

7-0

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I love Da Wrecka.

too bad that fight isnt jump starting anything.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

So-so fight, but maybe it'll spark things.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Great play Poti.

our defense sucks.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope they dont run the score up Islanders have had a terrible year ....Please take it easy on the Islanders ...REST!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Great headshot green.

frackin idiot.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Great overhead right by Schultz

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

3-1 pens

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

7-0 Caps.....Yes!!!! But the Islanders dont have much of a team. I wouldnt expect anything less

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

They, unfortunately, are embarrassing themselves, their fans, and hanging their goalie out to dry. Not sure what the deal is with this Jekyl/Hyde team.

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooovechkin!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Feds. Feds. Feds. Feds.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Ovi!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

wow Pens are sure rolling ...Just intime for the playoffs ... You want to be on a roll when the playoffs start

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Bears update:
Machesney in goal to start the second. Not sure if Neuvy was pulled or is injured. Walton says Neuvy is not on the bench (or in the hallway where the backup usually sits in Norfolk).

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

that pass right there and his leadership and being able to play on the blue line when called upon is why we should sign fed to a deal until he wants to retire. he looks like he could keep on going acouple years

Posted by: capsfan5252 | April 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

second goal by OV (too bad the first one was against the Caps) - Great play by Federov and OV

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Is it 8-0 now?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if somebody farted on the bench or not but it looks like we woke up finally.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

wow. great pass by feds, his experience really is invaluable to our team.

schultz throwing a punch=classic.

Posted by: jogabonito | April 1, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

AUCOIN!!!!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Gold Coin.

get your own rebounds.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Aucoin!!!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Aucoin!

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

aucoin with the secondary scoring!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

There we go!! In front of the NET!!! The call-up is working hard, now it's time for everyone else to pay attention!

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

So StanleyCup, WHEN the Caps advance in the playoffs and your beloved birds that can't fly are eliminated, are you still going to come back with your comments? Just curious.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Coiner!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Aucoin! A heads-up play!

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Sure Quiet in here for a team thats up 8-0

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Aucoin put one in. Great way to follow up on his rebound and on a great game Friday night.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

He was heading for a line change. Nice read on the pass!

Posted by: ludeman95 | April 1, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention a great intervening game for the Bears

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

So glad Aucoin's hard work is paying off, he deserves it!

Posted by: jogabonito | April 1, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Sure hope Neuvirth is OK.

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Caps wont advance Pokerface.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Ignore

Caps are picking it up

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Three stellar saves, back-to-back-to-back!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Caps are giving up way too many chances. Gonna have to hustle that D

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

the horse's skin is falling off now that the shtick has been beaten and driven into the ground.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

To me, of the forward call ups this season Aucoin is the guy who has played the most like he wanted to stay. That, taken with his experience and production in the AHL makes him a welcome forward option

AND ITS TIED...I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!

I JUST WANTED TO SEE SOME FIGHT IN MY TEAM!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Great crash effort Fehr!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Flash tricked me.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Also......we need to EARN a powerplay!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

that looked like a goal

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

So was that Flash?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah kinda funny we have not had one yet

Posted by: ludeman95 | April 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

norfolk again, Bears down 3-1

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

What's up with Hershey? Blow-off game, or what?

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I think it was Flash.

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it was Flash. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

If u sent Semin down to the Bears He might help....MAYBE!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Man, Aucoin's got a great feed

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Brads-Au-Stecks

lookin really good. Stecks is actually screening their goalie! Go figure!

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Good on Flash

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

"What's up with Hershey? Blow-off game, or what?"

Not that it should be an excuse, but we are missing two of our big guns...Aucoin's in DC and Mink is out with the broken hand.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Fehr...you need to draw the penalty or get the shot of.

not neither.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Stanley,
any chance you back up your talk with $? Name your price.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Pokerface -- please, the idiot's a troll. Ignore -- most around here have learned to to that. Ignore, and the goof doesn't post. That's Troll rules

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

How much do you have poker?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Caps were starting to forget they're playing a game and not skating drills at the end there...

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

All you have to do to kill a troll is stop feeding it. I don't know why some people don't get that.

Responses = Troll food

No responses = Death to troll

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

poker face another rule ...Is you have to ask everyone else, who and when you can speak..thats the rules.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I said name your price SC. I'm fairly confident I've got it covered.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

sonyask- sorry, kinda new to the board but he's over the top. Makes me want to do the same thing to Pensblog but I just don't have the time. I have better things to do with my life I guess. I would really like to take his money though! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Grandpa is doing all the work himself! Hilarious interview! 'Yeah, I didn't see it cause I was down the other way on a 3 on 2" aka: thanks for killing the momentum!

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

whats the bet? Caps wont win the Cup?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

There is no bet. I think he just wants to pay you to leave.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Well I was eating, but got to watch.

Game's going fine, probably better than it was for Detroit and Philly recently.

What a pass by Feds on Ovie's goal. Great to see Aucoin chipping in too.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

johnzilla: i completely missed the interview, who said that?

Posted by: jogabonito | April 1, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

pens up 5-1

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the Devils are somehow down 5-1 at the halfway point of regulation.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Ok Poker here is the Bet ...If the Caps win the Cup I will never post on this site again...But if they lose you pay for my season tickets!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Feds is talking discussing his tremendous dish to Ovie... and Feds pointed out he was playing D, very dryly - hilarious. Smokin' Al asked if Feds felt Erskin's fight sparked the Caps effort, and Feds said he missed the beginning of the fight cause he was in the middle of a 3 on 2, at the time!

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Poor Locker has gotten a case of the giggles, oh my... :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

If they Caps win the Cup we wouldn't see you for ages...just like you'll disappear once we take a lead.

Devils hit a little rough patch eh? Just goes to show all the doom and gloom over a little 0-3-1 stretch were very over the top. EVERY top team has had a prolonged bad stretch this season. Big 3rd period to drop the magic # to 1 and open up a 3 point lead on the Devils with 5 games left each.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Bears update:
Norfolk leading 3-1 at 2nd intermission. Possible lower body injury to Neuvirth after he got tangled up with an Admirals player late in the 1st.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy's out? That sucks for everyone if Johnny doesn't get healthy fast.

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

@johnzilla.

Yes, I love Feds. Very tongue-in-cheek.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Backs/Semin/Laich?

Trying to work that Feds/Ovie magic again I think...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Well Poker are you "All In" or fold!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

You changed it SC. You said the Caps wouldn't advance to the 2nd round. That was going to be the bet. Do you not like that?

Richmondphil gets it.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Winning the Cup a year and a half after being last in the league seems a little unrealistic...I'm sure it's been done across all sports almost...never?

I'd expect making it to the 2nd round and maybe the ECF would be about right for expectations. Anything beyond that would be gravy imo.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

"Did you know that he [Federov] was playing defense?" Locker to Joe B.

"I know you are doing color commentary" - Joe B's response.

Well, he does know the name of the hooters girl.

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Blame Fehr for that one.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

nice non-call on nyls.

oh well. lets get it back.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Bears goal! Alex Giroux with #55. Ovi needs another one to keep pace with our Alex! Bears 2-Norfolk 3.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

The Caps should win the first round they wont get by the 2nd and could even lose the first round

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Bourque, Giroux, & Kronwall combine for both goals.

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Darn. my cable box just died.

Posted by: opita1 | April 1, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Be interesting to see how the matchups work out...people said the West was cramped 4th-9th was a 5 point spread in the East before tonight's play.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

i will say this for the last time.

no competent cap fans expected a cup this year, even before that loss to ATL opening night.

most caps fans (including myself) did not expect to be either the 2nd or 3rd seed in the East either.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

how did semin muff that up?

wut.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

This is getting frustrating...

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow Semin very unlucky...sick play to dangle that out to a better angle.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

So like I said, you wanna bet that the Caps make it past the 1st round? Why are you back peddling? My point exactly, you're just talking smack but won't put your money where your mouth is.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

and how did mcDonald stop that deflection?

what is going onnnnnnnnn

dooooooom

glooooooom

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Backstrom at least showing shot there to set that up...that play is wide open for our guys all the time, a la Ovie trying to hit Feds with under 3 to play in Game 7 last year.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

We need a power play. Can't believe NOTHING has been called.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

How about some penalties our way for a change..?

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Devils are down 5-1 at the end of 2, and it appears that they were issued a bench minor for abuse of official at the end of the period...?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

and that is why Green getting the Norris isn't that much of a stretch given his offensive numbers.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, here's that powerplay.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Cheap shot retaliation there.

We'll take it though. Hahaha what a baby having to throw that hit off the puck.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Poker Its Win the Cup or they call all the others "losers"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Well here we go. It's about time we're on the PP. He got his 2 minutes worth. Gotta bury one here.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 9:10 PM

yeah, sutter was mad.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, no more comments... I'm done

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

...and a cheapy ends that one after 9 seconds.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

@phil

He did have a total giveaway though that would've been a semi-breakaway if not for the penalty.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh boy, pretty borderline call there. We're still better 4 on 4.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Why is Pothier on the PP...? What the hell are you doing BB, do you want to tie the game or just play a guy on the PP cause you feel bad for him

Posted by: bryan579 | April 1, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

how did semin muff that up?

wut.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse
Geez back off Semin He just got off his death bed! Give him a break...He needs some rest maybe 5 days off would help

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

He has the most giveaways in the league for a D man. That is a direct result of his offensive production.

He, unlike a lot of our D, can play the boards. clear the puck. take the body.

He just needs to be more consistent with it.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful steal and shot by Semin on that 4 on 4

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Green was gassed that why Pothier was out there.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Phil, I'm just saying the perception is going to be all the risks he takes when it's pretty clear if you look at his play in our own zone his defensive game is far better than he gets credit for.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Okay, power play time.....!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryan579 | April 1, 2009 9:14 PM

Pothier used to quarterback the PP in Ottawa, and he has always been pinned a puck moving d man.

whats the problem?

amazing takeaway backstrom.

now set it back up.

...GREEEN

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

SWEET!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

That Semin guy, what a waste...no vision.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Semin...just pass.

he seems he cant hit the net for anything the past games.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Semin is the man!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Boy it's be great to get some space from the Devils. Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

It'd be

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Semin-Ovie-Backstrom-Semin-Green. That's your passing sequence. Money.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice save, Sonyask.

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

MIKE GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN! #30!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

GREEN 30!!!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

MR MO-MENTUM MIGHT BE CHANGING HIS ADDRESS

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

ITS A GREEN ATTACK!!!!!!!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

That interference call was textbook...pushed Poti and himself into Theo. No question.

Not sure Flash got a piece of it though it didn't appear to change direction.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Norris

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

My DVR says good goal. Don't need to review anymore! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

No touch there by Flash

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green has 10+ more goals than the Islanders' leading scorer. Holy smokes.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Well 30 goals might give him the Norris. It's hard to argue with these kind of performances.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

30 for 52 = Norris

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Isles want it. Tighten up Caps

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

16 years since someone has done it? Only 8 all time? Yeah, I don't miss Robert Lang anymore. Haven't for awhile.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

@greg

12 to be exact.

my girl was just pointing out that exact same fact.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Flash looking very Datsyukian there.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

If we ever learn to clear our zone we will be monsters.

Big save on Backstrom.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

good coinage richmondphil

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Theo!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Look at those SOG. Besides an odd turnover or two it's one of our dominant 3rd's you saw towards the end of last season.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, I did not originally coin it.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

New post to celebrate Mike Green's historic 30th goal.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's a great word!

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Man, Ovi

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Also if there is one thing I love about the prettiness of puck handling, it has to be those clean rip offs.

Backstrom and Flash had beauties this game.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Final score: Bears lose 3-2 to Norfolk.
Bourque #2 star.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 1, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

While I'll take the 2 points I still don't like our play as of late. I thought with 4 days off we'd come out on fire but it took over 2 periods for us to get going. I would like to be playing better before the real season comes. Could care less about points really but we need to play better. This is the worst team in the league and we're the 4th best according to the standings.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Seals the deal. Go Backstrom

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Man, from the the faceoffs to the steals, to the recent muscle, Backstrom is looking good.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Happy for the win but the offense bailed the embarressment of a defense. Tonight's defense isn't going to cut in the playoffs unless we score 5 goals a game. Maybe we can chalk it up to having not played in a while. Devils getting killed and Philly losing 3-1 makes the night that much sweeter.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Just saw on TV somebody in a Pens jersey at the game? I've always wondered why people wear jersey's of team that aren't even playing not to mention a Pens jersey at a Caps game. Unreal. Disappointed in Caps fans that he was still walking!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

To echo the sentiments of one annoying blogger on this board (1907)...How dare Mike Green focus on personal records when his team had a game to win!

Congrats Greenie!

Shaky start, not the best play, but a win is a win! And now we are 3 points ahead of the devils! (Just icky score by the Penguins...)

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 1, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Tremendous two-way playing for Nicky the last half of the season! Tremendous 3rd period! Next time... would it be too much to ask for 60 min of non-flu-like effort?

Posted by: johnzilla | April 1, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

What was up with Semin tonight? He screwed up at least two golden opportunities. In one of them, he passed at the last second when he had a clear shot on the net.

Posted by: caraveli | April 1, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse