Tonight's Lineup: Maple Leafs at Caps

After watching from the bench as Jose Theodore played well in Boston on Thursday, Semyon Varlamov will get his first start of the season tonight against the revamped Maple Leafs. The Caps will be looking to win their eighth straight home opener, while Alex Ovechkin will be looking to keep his goal streak in home openers going. The two-time MVP has seven goals in four home openers, with three two-goal performances and a goal in the other.

The rest of Washington's lineup should look like this:

Forwards:
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Morrison-Knuble
Laing-Steckel-Clark
Kane-Gordon-Bradley

Defense:
Morrisonn-Green
Poti-Jurcina
Erskine-Pothier

The healthy scratches will be Tyler Sloan, Jeff Schultz and Michael Nylander.

I'll have more after the game.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 3, 2009; 4:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'Good Teams Do It Over Time' (Updated)
Next: Caps Win Eighth Straight Home Opener

Comments

Somebody has to take care of Colton Orr

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 3, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!!! =) Go Varly!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Somebody has to take care of Colton Orr

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 3, 2009 5:24 PM

Insert standard "Semin's got it covered" joke here.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling the Leafs are saying "we need to stay away from their powerplay". If Orr goes nuts the Caps will burn them.

So my thinking is that we do not need to take care of Orr. Orr needs to take care of himself.

PS Goon on goon fighting is stupid.

Posted by: megatroll1 | October 3, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Once the score is 7-2 Caps late in the 3rd what kind of intimidation factor will the powerplay be???

Posted by: FLDave | October 3, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

This was posted over on the Caps message board:

I'm sure some of you have already seen it. I found it pretty funny.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Semin will break Orr's back.

Mark my words.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds of Semin committing some kind of retaliatory penalty tonight?

Crosby committed one last night. It was very Semin-like. He slashed at Staal's ankle after getting a little shove. Oh, Sid... you never fail to amuse me.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Sloan isnt in the lineup because Erkshine is the guy to watch Orr. I would like to see Sloan in the lineup though. I also think the Caps have too many D and hope they are playing Erkshine and others to show them for a trade. Sloan and Alzner will play this year.

Posted by: jgrasse | October 3, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

So Toronto is down 7-2 against their arch rival Caps...yeah of course Colton Orr is going to go insane and fight Ovechkin so as to send a message....oh wait, we aren't their arch rival, there's an instigator rule (stinks but it is there), and if Orr does happen to start taking runs at our stars...what happens to their stars? They start getting drilled by the Matt Bradleys of the world. Worth it to Toronoto? Doubtful.

Posted by: megatroll1 | October 3, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh, bongo drums, bongo drums
Bongo all the way
Oh, what fun it is to fight
Colton Orr, you'll make my day
Bongo drums, bongo drums
Bongo all the way
Oh, what fun it is to fight
Colton Orr, you'll make my day

OK, $1 for someone who makes it better

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 3, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: megatroll1 | October 3, 2009 6:07 PM |
There's stars on Toronto?

Sorry..too easy....

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgrasse | October 3, 2009 6:05 PM |

Trading Erskine would be pointless. He has more value to us than he would to any other team.

ShaMo or Juice will be gone eventually.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I am watching NHL Network, and I am pretty sure I saw Sloan on the ice.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

anyone have links the game online? the one i was going to listen to says "unavailable"! Unacceptable!

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla,
Try this one: http://www.justin.tv/hockeybash

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I got it, thanks! Just in time for shot #1 and goal #1!! If I'm going to be home sick on a Saturday night i'd better be able to listen to the game!

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sweet. Hershey's top line just connected for a goal of their own. They're up 1-0 too.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

OV is on fire!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | October 3, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

OMG VARLY JUST MADE A RIDIC SAVE!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow what a save! Go Varly =)

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

JUST WHAT WE NEED!!! I LOVE YOU GMGM!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Seriously. Knuble was the missing link. What a difference a summer makes. Erskine with a huge hit too!

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Boys and girls, I think this is gonna be one tremendous season!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 3, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

brooksie...gotta keep up with OV!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bryaningrocery | October 3, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

LOL why are we so good??? Laich and Ovie will score 70 each!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I second that, wocoliz!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

i guess laich wants to give ovi a run for his money :)

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

oh my, it's the first period and they have taken a timeout and the announcers are starting to talk about a goalie change for toronto

Posted by: bryaningrocery | October 3, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

They make it look so easy!! Gosh, I love Brooksie.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Is this really only the second game of the season? I LOVE IT! GO CAPS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 3, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Bears up 2-0. Top line of Aucoin, Giroux & Gordon again.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if BB thinks that the SOB line could just be so dominating that it's better than spreading it the snipers out over two lines. BB " i will keep the line together until the Russians get too cute" I love IT!!!

Posted by: bryaningrocery | October 3, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

How shrewd a move was the Laich trade? I mean he does nothing but get better!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

also liking the bears updates....TY

Posted by: bryaningrocery | October 3, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Caps get an ovation. Redskins get boos. (Even after a win!)

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

We look "SICK" right now, IN ALL PHASES OF THE GAME!!!

Its hard not to get your hopes TOO high for the rest of the season.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Bears PP clicking at 2 for 3. PK is at 100%. End of the 1st.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

agreed, thanks for the bears updates! man, what an amazing game so far!

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A FIRST PERIOD!

Definitely agree with bryaningrocery--thanks so much for the Bears updates!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 3, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Bruins are PISSED about the other night, and they are taking it out on the Canes.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, jmu_capsgirl, thanks for the Bears updates.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I figured I'd be extra nice to make up for abandoning you guys this summer. :-P

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

AMAZING OPENING 20 MINUTES. THAT'S THE WAY GOOD TEAMS GET GOING AGAINST LESSER TEAMS. Sharp sharp sharp. Now it's time to continue it for another 20 and then another 20 :)

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS

Posted by: Jonathan6 | October 3, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Ewww! Did anyone just see that? I saw two women with Pens jerseys!! What are they doing here?! They need to LEAVE our place!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, The Monster is in net. Run for your lives!!!! I mean, psh, monsters don't exist. Sieve him too!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

So much for them cutting into the lead...

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Could'nt ya just feel Semin was going to get that?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

The more I see it, the more I'm believing (and loving) the defensive pick-up of Semin.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

rachel...any idea what section (that may be asking too much...). I have a few friends there tonight...I can get them to...oops....spill a beer on them.

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Just over 8 to go in the 2nd, Bears still up 2-0. Holtby with 11 saves. Bears on the PP for another 20 seconds.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

what was that site JoeB referred to, where the Russian journalist is chattin?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievably fun to watch, but so wide open. If not for Varly the Leafs could be tied with us right now.

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

wtf_e_fehr, probably CSNWashington.com

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

TimDz- HAHA! Actually CSN showed the two women walking (probably) back to their seats for the start of the second period, so they weren't in their seats. But seriously, what are they thinking? One of them was wearing a Jordan Staal jersey, I couldn't see the other one, but it was clearly a Pens jersey.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl- why is Neuvy not playing?

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: how cool would it have been to see a girl in a Caps Sweater throw a body check to one of them right there in the concourse?

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

wtf_e_fehr, probably CSNWashington.com

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 8:23 PM

Thanks

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

HOLY COW, WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Ant the rout is on....

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Nice night for the new boys, huh?

Posted by: wocoliz | October 3, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

And (stupid man fingers)...no ants at the phone booth...

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

rachel, I'd imagine they're getting Holtby a few more games as a Bear before they send him to SC's training camp. Their camp starts this week, but their season doesn't open til the 16th. I'd also guess they're being careful with Mikey, even if he's checked out medically with his tweak.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

HA! power play... 5-1... only the 2nd period....

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

The only thing thats missing is points for the Mike Green. I hope he gets into the fun soon.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

End of the 2nd, Bears still up 2-0. Holtby with 14 saves so far. 50% PP, 100% PK, 18 SOG.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

TimDz- That'd be pretty funny. But I seriously wonder what they are doing here.

jmu_capsgirl- Thanks. I forgot Neuvy was hurt.

YEAH!!! SEMIN! 2 goals!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't the fans get chicken wings now? =)

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey who passed to Semin on that goal? I missed it..

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Let's get 7 goals! This is soooo fun!! I'm so happy but I will probably be depressed tomorrow with my Redskins. :(

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

rachel...not sure if you are a native to the area, but DC is so freakin' transient. Thank God the STH base is pretty strong...

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey who passed to Semin on that goal? I missed it..

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:40 PM

Ovie

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Laing has had a presence in this game. On offense and defense.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA another consistent 20 in the books. Damn does this team not look like ice breakers goal shakers for another night? Just beautiful. Keep it up. 20 more minutes. WOO HOO.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | October 3, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

ALL CAPS!

I almost feel bad for the Leafs. Almost. They're blaming their goalies already. The goalies are not their problem. I thought Gustavsson actually did great when he came in and we still scored 3 in a period on him. We're just absolutely flying!

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green has points, well point, just no goals.

Posted by: kyureosity | October 3, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

TimDz- I know D.C. is transient but I wouldn't go to Mellon Arena with a Caps jersey on when the Pens are playing the Canadiens.

wtf_e_fehr- Thanks. That was a beautiful pass by Ovie.

And the Tampa Bay Lightning continue to suck! So funny how every year they think they're going to win the Southeast. Haha.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Caps are going to be devastating the East this year. Watch out Pens!

Posted by: ejohnsto | October 3, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

The first 2 games are proving that you really don't need a goon taking up a spot on your roster these days. We have no one who really wants to fight and Myers just made an ass out of himself and got 2 PIM. It was actually funny.

Myers: Fight me, fight me...
Erskine: Why the hell would I wanna do that? Take a gander at the scoreboard.

Having said that who thinks we gonna call up Sugden for the Flyers game on Tue?

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Admirals score. Game now 2-1 Bears.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

IDK Rachel...I could see any one of us posters here heading up to the Igloo with a Caps Sweater

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't feel too bad for the leafs. I remember a game a few (or more?) years back where we lost 7-1 at home to the leafs. I remember because it was the only game I was able to make that season - I was a bit bitter.

Posted by: Raber | October 3, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Well, maybe not in Philly Rachel...

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Frack. Come on boys!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

AGordon with his second of the night, from Giroux (and Carlson this time). Bears up 3-1, less than 10 remaining.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

TimDz- You sure are right about that. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | October 3, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

3 weak goals for Varly. He may be the future but certainly isn't the present. Theo needs to get the nod. Personally I'd be angry after the performance he put on in Boston, only to sit after being told he's the starter.

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 3, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

A shorty would be nice here...

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Any second now that Colton Orr kid is going to take over. ?

Posted by: megatroll1 | October 3, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

3 weak goals? I count an overplay (his fault), a kick save rebound on a shot from 10 feet (not his fault), and a deflection on a puck it looks like he never saw.

1.5 goals are his fault at best.

Posted by: Raber | October 3, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

scarletcaps.com???

Is this thing out of control?

Does this happen in other cites?

Not complainin'

Just askin'

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Bears win 3-1. Holtby stopped 23 of 24. Andrew Gordon with the hat trick. Giroux assisted on all 3, Aucoin on 2, Carlson on 1.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

rovingbandit I think shareing time for the two will help the team in the playoffs. Look at Detroit the last two years. Osgood plays only about half the regular season games and leads his team to back to back finals. Theo knows there are 82 games and he isn't going to play them all so I don't think he is too upset about this.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 3, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 3, 2009 9:18 PM

not buyin that...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Rebound control and vision is what makes all-star goaltenders. Acrobactic saves make out of position goalies. Varly would make a great back up this year. He can hold his own on games we have the offense humming but he isn't ready to win a game on his own.

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 3, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

e_fehr why not try and increase the fan base to include more women?

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 3, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Another one.

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 3, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

...well the complexion of this game continues to change

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

As a female, I can appreciate the relative good looks of our team, but I don't know if that's the best way to market the game to women. Maybe I'm just weird. The site is slightly awkward.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Poit has to lift the stick in front

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 3, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

e_fehr why not try and increase the fan base to include more women?

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 3, 2009 9:31 PM

...all for it!

Just lookin for an answer to the question.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Oddly enough, this is probably a better outcome than if we won 6-1. No one's going to get a big head after this one, and we'll be working hard again on Tuesday. We'll need it against the Flyers.

A win is a win! LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Raber | October 3, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

well that is a good lesson for the caps to learn, not to let it get that close!! but a good game and a good win, they've just gotta keep the energy consistent.

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Good first two periods very poor third.

@ e_fehr I think that the caps were the first NHL team to do it

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 3, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 9:34 PM

...thanks, thats the kind of viewpoint I was looking for.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, that got a little hairy at the end. Amazing how things can swing in an open game. In the first period Toronto had great chances to score, Varly stopped them and we came the other way and scored. 3-0. In this period Ovie could've put them out of their misery, but whiffed on the puck with an empty net in front of him (during a 3-on-1 with Backie and Semin) and the Leafs come back and almost make it a game.

In any case, congrats on the win.

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

A win's a win.

Posted by: Terptwin | October 3, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Poti does, but Varly has to learn not to count on his splits to make the save. He over commits too much and does not play in the proper position. Hopefully Irbe can help him with this.

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 3, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, totally awkward. I might wear a small jersey (kids size... i have two official ones but they really are just too big on me!) but i can't see myself wearing outfits like the "red rockers" outfits. i too appreciate the effort, but it just seems so... non-hockey of them? i dont even know why there are even cheerleaders at a hockey game...

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Raber and mrszilla.

As far as Club Scarlet (couldn't they have come up with a better name?) goes, I joined hoping to learn more about hockey; I'm the only hockey fan in my house, and I don't have any friends who are more knowledgeable than I am to learn from. I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of substance, so I don't think I'll be a frequent visitor. So I guess I'll just have to keep learning from you fine folks! :)

Posted by: wocoliz | October 3, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 3, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

you don't need your A game when you're already up 6-1 after two periods. they stopped playing defense in the third period. Grant Fuhr won an awful lot of games 6-4, 5-3. this is ONLY game 2 of 82, this aint the playoffs. they both need to play.

Posted by: joek443 | October 3, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@rovingbandit

What bad goals for Varly? I sometimes wonder if people are watching the same thing as me. If not for him we'd be tied or down after the first instead on 3-0 up. He actually made unbelievable saves even when the puck bounced of his own D skates (like on the 4th), but there's only so much that's humanly possible to do. The 3rd goal was a tip out of the air right in front. At best he's at fault for 1 (the first one).

Varlamov is infinitely better than Theodore. Maybe you missed the whole last season. Like I said after our first game Theo had absolutely nothing to do in that game. My grandma could've played in that one. Varly had way more work tonight. This was a very open game.

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

wocoliz, We're here to help! I started watching the Caps two seasons ago after being away from the sport since the early 90s when I moved from Canada. The posters here were most helpful in bringing me back up to speed on post-lockout hockey.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Varly is very ballsy and I actually like that. did he overcommit, probably. were most of those goals were scored the same way (off the rebound when he left the side open) yup.

so he might have some work to do but i personally like his confidence. He's got time to sort out all the kinks during the regular season.

as for now we can celebrate the win!!

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I totally agree. Varlamov made some spectacular saves. The only questionable one was the 1st one and even then, the defender should have taken the Leafs player's body.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 3, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | October 3, 2009 9:45 PM

Seriously diggin' the Fuhr reference.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Varly has something that you just can't teach which is his sheer athletic ability. some of the saves he makes most goalies wouldn't even try. he just needs to learn not to rely on that ability too much and not to get over-anxious. the first goal he gave up he just got faked outta position.

Posted by: joek443 | October 3, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree with what most people here are saying about Varly. He is an exceptional talent. It will work VERY well in the teams favor if Theo can be strong enough to challenge him for #1 this season.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 3, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

We need to find a mad scientist and mash Varly's athleticism and Neuvy's technical skill into Neuvlamov, the best goalie ever! (Okay, sorry, I'm tired and getting silly.)

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@rovingbandit

Varly's positioning is actually very good. He has to rely on making split saves when there's a cross ice pass, which btw is almost always results in 100% goal on Theo because he just gives up on those.

Also, you must've never seen Irbe play. One of the most acrobatic goalies of the modern era. Smaller goalies have to be acrobatic to survive in this league because they can't rely on the puck just hitting them.

Anyway, goalies had nothing to do with the high score in this game. It was a wide open game with a ton of great chances. Almost like pond hockey. I didn't think Toronto's goalies were bad either. Only the first goal on Toskala might have been his fault, but then again it was Ovie shooting.

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Blaming Varlamov for open net rebound goals is just silly. Those were rebounds after ridiculous saves that very few goalies have the ability to make. On most goalies there wouldn't be a rebound because they would be nowhere near the original shot. So you're blaming Varly for being really good basically and making saves other goalies wouldn't. It's the D's job to clear the puck after a goalie makes a save that leaves him helpless. The goalie's job is to make the 1st save. Everything else is a bonus.

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse