Tonight's Lineup: Rangers at Caps (Updated)

One day after his 21st birthday, Simeon Varlamov will start in the biggest game of his NHL career, tonight's Game 7 against the Rangers at Verizon Center. Henrik Lundqvist, meantime, will be looking to bounce back from a pair of uncharacteristically ordinary starts.

Chris Clark is expected to return to the lineup for the Caps, replacing the suspended Donald Brashear on the fourth line. For the Rangers, high-scoring prospect Artem Anisimov will take Blair Betts's roster spot.

Based on warmups, here's what the rest of the Caps' lineup should look like:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Fedorov-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Steckel-Bradley
Fehr-Gordon-Clark

Defense
Morrisonn-Green
Poti-Jurcina
Erskine-Pothier

Update:Just in case you were wondering, there is increased security near the Rangers' bench in the form of a District police officer. The Verizon Center has also put stanchions between the panes of plexiglass separating the bench from the stands.

I'll check in later with some postgame thoughts/notes/quotes.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 28, 2009; 6:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Who Replaces Donald Brashear?
Next: Live Game 7 Chat: Capitals vs. Rangers

Comments

GO CAPS! :]

Posted by: vt_caps | April 28, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

1st? LETS GO CAPS

Posted by: apollak8 | April 28, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Chat tonight?

Posted by: RichC3 | April 28, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Go Caps

I wish I was there but I am cheering loud here in Winnipeg

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 28, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Well when is Varly's real birthday? Ted said in pregame it was tonight, so is it tonight or was it last night?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 28, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

here we go baby

Posted by: Worried1 | April 28, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

What's up with that clip of Ovie punching Semin. :( Those punches looked hard.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 28, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

"should"....

I hope Gabby totally screws the lines up and just lets the boys play.

Put Ovi, Gordo and Juice on the third line. Maybe Varly will center the checking line.

Match THAT Torts!

Hilarious: that night Gabby had everybody on screwed up lines, Semin and I-forget-who-else ran a set screen play to perfection. You take them out of their cages, their genius comes out more.

Regardless of the matchups, with Clark back we're going to have even more action in the low slot. And just look at our shot charts lately.

These guys had another gear all along. I'm real optimistic.

Sick 'em Caps!

Posted by: large23220 | April 28, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Good luck people, let get 'er done.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 28, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

his birthday was yesterday. party is tonight what ted was referring to

Posted by: Worried1 | April 28, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

pokerface1208: Varly's birthday was yesterday.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 28, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: the best part of that clip is the WTF? look on Semin's face. :)

Posted by: tess2201 | April 28, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Is everyone else as keyed up as I am?

I have to keep reminding myself:

Breathe in, breathe out,
breathe in, breathe out...

Posted by: grackle5 | April 28, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Sem-yon looks SERIOUS!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 28, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

It is so hard to be so far away in Houston, but they won when I was home and they lost when I was at the game on Saturday, so...

Posted by: suzannepdc | April 28, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Is everyone else as keyed up as I am?

I have to keep reminding myself:

Breathe in, breathe out,
breathe in, breathe out...

Posted by: grackle5 | April 28, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

HOW CAN YOU NOT BE!?!?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPSSSSSSSSSSS!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 28, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

small prediction....Backstrom gets one!

He is due.

No OT!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 28, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

This is a two bagger; one to throw up in and another to keep me from hyperventilating.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | April 28, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Вы думаете что этот ряд закончен?

("You think this series is over?")

Никогда не бросьте ...только забивают голы!

("Never Give up...just score goals!")

Ничто не закончено пока МЫ не решаем что это закончено!

("Nothing is over until WE decide it is!")

FEAR THE WEAGLE!
CAPS ALL THE WAY!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 28, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Backs and Semin on the same line again. Sounds like goals.

Posted by: LouLewis | April 28, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Cue the online horn guy - honk, honk, honk.

LET'S GO CAPS!

HONK, HONK, HONK.

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: grackle5 | April 28, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

terrible start by D...

AWESOME START BY V!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 28, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey CDon, I don't think you got it because I think they cut off the chat before my message came across but not a problem bro. I just believe in a possitive attitude and as bad as we were in the 1st 2 periods I just felt like we were good tied and the better team would win. Mind over matter buddy, gotta believe.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 28, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse