Tonight's lineup: Thrashers at Caps

Semyon Varlamov will be in net tonight as the Caps look to end a three-game slide and the Thrashers seek to stay in the playoff hunt.

The rest of the banged-up Caps' lineup should look like this:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Perreault-Semin
Fleischmann-Belanger-Fehr
Chimera-Steckel-Bradley

Defense
Schultz-Green
Poti-Morrisonn
Corvo-Erskine

Goalies
Varlamov
Theodore

Before the game, Coach Bruce Boudreau was asked about facing his best friend John Anderson with so much at stake for the Thrashers, who have made the playoffs exactly once in their 10-year history.

"I want to beat him real bad," Boudreau said. "It gives you bragging rights at the golf tournament."

I'll have more later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 1, 2010; 6:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brooks Laich on returning to the lineup
Next: Bradley, Caps end slump

Comments

8.5 PROMOTED TO THE SECOND LINE!!!

GO CAPS!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I really like these forward lines and I would like the see this as the forward lines for all of next season.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 1, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see how #85 does on the second line. Let's go, Caps--knock the Thrash out!

Posted by: wocoliz | April 1, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Matty P deserves it! GO CAPS!! I hope Ovie scores some goals!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 1, 2010 6:49 PM

It's not bad but Fleischmann on a checking line isn't exactly an ideal scenario. His defensive play leaves a lot to be desired and 3rd lines are typically made up of defensive forwards that are out there to slow down a top line of the opposing team.

Laich is a better overall player but it almost makes more sense to put him at 3rd line left wing if you want to put together more traditional lines.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Laich looks none the worse for wear to me...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@ tmac2yao. I think that the if the Caps can get a little better on the back end in the offseason and Varly is strong then I think having three scoring lines is a big advantage. If teams have 3rd and 4th lines that are defensive checking lines then the Caps can send out a third scoring line against the others teams second scoring line and possibly keep the puck in the offensive zone where they can't hurt us. I also wouldn't be too upset especially if they replace him with a PK killing forward.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 1, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Erskine failed to clear in the beginning and gets the gate in the end.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I want to hear Locker say that the PK has sucked...You can tell he wants to say it!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

KILL!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

No live chat tonight. Where is Geno

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

PP sucked, I'm goin to bed.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

No live chat tonight. Where is Geno

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 7:18 PM

i think he's trying to get a hotdog

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

what's wrong with our offense??

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Laich, nice rush

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Erskine looks rusty to say the least.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@Rach

At least this looks like a semi-normal game so far. Lets give the O some time to break out?

I'M HAPPY WE HAVENT BEEN SCORED ON YET!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

THERES THE wtf_e_fehr I WAS WAITING FOR

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Put that water bottle back on the net...

SO WE CAN HIT IT!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

The last two games we had 4 shoots each in the first period. I hope they will have more tonight.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or has Erskine been out there a lot?

...looking like a turnover machine...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

nice save

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

wtf: okay! I'm with you. I'm glad we aren't down like 4 goals. =)

Sweet save by Varly!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Bradley wins that battle

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Ovi need to stop trying to make cute passes and just shoot.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

there it is Rach!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Nickyyyy

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

WERE NOT LOSING AFTER THE FIRST GOAL
way to go green

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

We are winning in the first!

Also is loosey goosey the word of the day or something?

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 1, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

there it is Rach!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr

;) Nice to have the lead for once.. it's been a while. I honestly hope it's Varly come game 1 in the playoffs and yes, I am aware of the run Theo was on.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Hello everyone! Great start to this game - gotta love it!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I had a feeling we were going to get scored on right after our goal.

Varlamov made a few huge saves in that period but we got a little bit lucky that Atlanta didn't finish at least one of those chances.

Poti got burned on that one breakaway.

Ovechkin needs to avoid the risky cross-ice passes when there is no passing lane.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I want to play the Flyers! They suck and they're down 3-0 to the Islanders!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 7:44 PM

are you sure you're not secretly pulling for neuvy?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Ok Backs has got 30 goals - check!

NOW...

I want Ovie with 50 or 50+ and the AR and RR Trophies!
I want Lambo-Greenie to get 20!
I want Semin to get 40!
I want the Prez Trophy!

LASTLY and most importantly...

I WANT THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!

In a nutshell...

I WANT THE WORLD, CHICO...AND EVERYTHING IN IT!!!

...now thats not too much to ask is it?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Every time the Corvo-Erskine pairing is on the ice, I hold my breath. Both of them made a number of sketchy plays in the defensive zone.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

wtf - that's a lot of wants, but I'm with you with the STANLEY CUP

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

wtf_e_fehr:
not at all

"I WANT THE WORLD, CHICO...AND EVERYTHING IN IT!!!"

do you really want cyndy crysby too

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Come on Capt. Kirk!!

WTF: you are such a greedy guy!!!! hahahaa!! "I want," "I want"

I want the Stanley Cup, everything else you listed is just gravy.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Corvo-Erskine
one can skate and not hit...
one can hit and not skate...
so does that mean the compliment each other - jk

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah... wtf you better NOT want Cindy Crosby..

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

@kirk

I KNOW YOU JUST WANT ME TO GET EXCITED!!!

...but I'm not gonna...

..nope..not gonna do it..NOT GON

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Both of them can give the puck to the other team though.

At least, on this night...

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

But Rach...thats my streamlined list of wants?

wtf?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Brooksie back...

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Does it bother anyone else when people say "Lord Stanley's Cup?"

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 1, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Ovi's stats for March - UGLY!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

wtf_e_fehr:
i won't give
NEVER GIVE UP

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

@LloydChristmas - it does sound a wee bit pretentious.

Oh oh - Flash is down...

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

looked like flash went both knees first into the boards

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

have no power...how was the first period? Its 1-0, but did the Caps play better? How was the intensity?

Posted by: dglelite | April 1, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Varly has been quite lucky so far

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

K BUS!

What happened? I need a replay!!!

...and now a crappy penalty!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I feel a shortie coming

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@dglelite - sorry about the no power. I saw half of the first period, and liked what I saw. Seemed more focused - but compared to how they've been playing lately, they had no where to go but up!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Antropov with the D....dammit!

Ovie leads us in PIM?

I guess now he officially is a power forward.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I just bought Center Ice to make sure I get all the playoff games...was that a mistake??? come on Semin!! Score a Shortie!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | April 1, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Yea, it looked like Flash went knee first into the boards.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Hershey could probably hang tough with a lot of NHL teams.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 1, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Flash needs a break.

Havent heard much from him since that "Dont sit me" goal.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

good to see flash is back on the ice

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

YES..PENALTY!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

What the freak?? Armstrong? Open ice hit and you put your arm up like that?? cheap shottttttt

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

elbow to the head should be reviewed by the league

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

BS!! Head SHOT@@!!!!!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | April 1, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

refs STUPID AGAIN

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

makes me want the replay in hockey...

...not realy...but damn!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Head Shot on Armstrong---3 games!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | April 1, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

After all that has been said about head shots, and the refs still miss it. Just inexcusable.

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

HORRIBLE 4 ON 4 SHIFT!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Not another penalty! It gets even more stupid...

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

schultz with a poor play along the boards to allow atl to keep that in the ozone and then draw a penalty

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

See Schultz there? Shied away from contact again, so he didn't go after the puck. Thrashers keep it in the zone, Caps commit a penalty. C'mon. At what point will this guy at least get a LITTLE physical? It's frustrating to watch him sometimes (a lot of times).

Posted by: CDon | April 1, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Schultz has been flubbing a lot of pucks recently. We avoid that penalty if he collects the puck with plenty of time and space.

Armstrong is looking at 2 or 3 games for that elbow to the head.

Flash came out with a fury after coming back to the game. A strong play in the corner followed by a quality scoring chance. Maybe they should fire a couple of pucks at him before every game. He seems to respond to pain.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Please - somebody retire those Geico Too Tall Jones ads - it would be better just to have their logo on the screen and nothing more...

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

HORRIBLE 4 ON 4 SHIFT!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr

As aways, wtf. We're pretty bad at 4 on 4. 55 there was pretty fumbly with the puck and couldn't handle it there, allowed Thrashers to maintain possession.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

This is a joke. The Refs aren't even trying to be impartial anymore.

OV gets suspended for the rest of the season with a hit to the head like that.

This is a fraking joke.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

What was the crowd chanting right after the MP penalty?

Posted by: guer_j | April 1, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Grrr - darn those offsides...

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

man was that pretty by ATL

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

carp

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

ughhhhh. disgusting defense. where is our offense??

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

...AND YET SO F'N UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Like I said earlier, Ovechkin has to stop those risky cross-ice passes. I'm surprised he hasn't been burned on those more often in his career. He got burned there.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Ovi has to stop making passes into defenders.

Posted by: CDon | April 1, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

guer_j:
refs you s*ck!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

What was the crowd chanting right after the MP penalty?

Posted by: guer_j

refs, you suck!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

My husband and I were chanting that here too!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone worried about the lately really low SOG games? I know these desperate teams are playing tighter but we're not getting our usually chances lately. We only have like 13 SOG..

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Someone earlier asked of Varlamov was eligible for the Calder again next year. The answer is no, as it's either 25 games in 1 season or 6+ games in 2+ seasons.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Phew - let's get out of here for 20 and regroup!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

You have to love Laich.

His game is pretty simple!

Laich: "I have the puck, now WHERE IS THE NET?" LETS SHOVE IT IN THERE!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Too many cute passes by Ovi. I hope is shoot more so he can get that 50

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:
i'm not worried - i'm just glad they are making an attempt to play some d. i'd also say it looks like they've played 40 of 40 minutes so far

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

People can point at the defense all they want but that's why puck possession and good decision-making by forwards is so important.

Ovechkin sent yet another wild cross-ice pass in the offensive when there was absolutely no passing lane.

That cost us possession and gave Atlanta a transition opportunity.

Horrible play by Ovechkin.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

he

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Semin may yet become a superstar, but he needs to learn stick control and when to dump the puck the offensive zone. They are standing him up at their blue line and stealing the puck. He has a lot of posession but no shots. I don't think he will ever be more than a goal scorer. The off season may be the time to trade him.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 1, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow - look at the red-faced fan-dudes! Joe B. seemed a little scared...

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

One of my first posts on Caps Insider a year or so ago was about Ovechkin needing to eliminate the telegraphed cross-ice passes in the offensive zone.

I've always watched for that and have been shocked how fortunate he has been not to get cost the team more goals against on those types of plays.

I remember at least one poster disagreeing with me that it was a problem.

The guy is a tremendous player but he makes too many risky passes like that on a nightly basis.

There was no need for that pass and it's a very correctable problem. The only explanation I have for it continuing to occur is the coaches not drilling it out of him.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Yep. Still don't know why he makes that pass all the time.

In other hockey news, McBain scored again. Damn.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm with tmac on this one. Ovi really does have to stop making ridiculous cross-ice passes that rarely hit the sticks of his teammates but often wind up heading in the other direction. He was burned on the last one he made in the second.

I'd like to see him start shooting a little more, though. I want him to hit 50 goals.

Posted by: CDon | April 1, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Green and Morrisonn have looked like our best two defenders for several games now. It may be time to reunite them on the top line. Every other defensemen has been looking pretty sketchy in our own, some more than others. Carlson may have been our 3rd best defender in recent games.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to see more fans watching Shultz. If he can't make an effort at getting the puck in the corner, what good is he. Morrison has also been playing horrible lately. Goal was his fault, leaving the middle open. Poti was to gassed to get over. Green can't continue playing 26-30 minutes a game. The D needs help.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 1, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Here we go! Let's win this in regulation, just to change things up!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

if MP was 2 inches taller he might be able to reach that pass

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

It looks like Corvo, Belanger, and Walker are just rentals. They have made very little impact. Also 3 of the 4 Olympians seem tired.
Great Schultz just iced it so he wouldn't get hit.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 1, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

so much for the accolades McPhee rec'd at the deadline by all the so-called hockey experts out there.

tmac - agreed about the D - i said this yesterday - Green and Mo are destined to be our top pairing in the playoffs. Both are playing better in our own end than the rest. And Carlson is 3rd best. The rest - meh

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

These refs are terrible

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 1, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Corvo stinking it up.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I was so focused on Ovechkin's bad pass that I didn't pay enough attention to the defensive breakdown.

Still, Morrisonn has been playing really well ever since that horrible giveaway he made several games ago where he passed it right to the tape a forward in front of Theodore.

Corvo looking like an offensive forward on that last play in front of our net.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Im eating, glad to see others are commenting.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Corvo stinking it up.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

"he was our top target, we identified him, and we got him!"

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Erskine seems like this year may be it for him, Sloan hasn't played enough to see if he can still play NHL defense. Boudreau seems very reluctant to give up on any of his players he coached in Hershey no matter how poorly they play.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 1, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

ShaMo is the man.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Smartest player on the team = Backstom

Laziest player on the team = Semin

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Ovie seems distracted. Maybe he needs to be demoted to the checking line.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 1, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Tough game tonight. Stats are even in many respects. Neither team wants to make a mistake. Reminds me of game 1 in a playoff series.

Posted by: Terptwin | April 1, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

finally brads!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

YAYYYYYYYYYYY! BRADSSSSS!!!!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

bradley - nice to see him finally get one

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Matt!

Posted by: Terptwin | April 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Best player on the team = Matt F'N Bradley

Automatic backhand.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

4th line does it again. Go Bradley. Shame they only play 10 minutes a game.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Relieve!!!!!!

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

bradley abused the old man to get that puck

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

You gotta tip your hat to Chelios (sp?) - I will always feel young as long as that old man plays NHL!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

If that goal holds, Brads just won a spot on the Game 1 roster of the first round.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

CAPS CAPS CAPS!!!

Posted by: dc33 | April 1, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice effort by Bradley. Good for him.

Ovechkin made yet another risky cross-ice pass that could have led to a breakaway if it was deflected slightly differently by the Thrasher forward.

It's maddening.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

"he was our top target, we identified him, and we got him!"

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:07 PM

you'll be able to use this one for years to come

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

always nice to see a grinder score a goal. I bet it makes Joek very unhappy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Varly let's the best 10 mins of the game. No more goal.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

lol, you know i will too

anyone wanna take bets on if the Caps can hold onto a lead with 9 to go?

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I would love to win a game in regulation... and by more than one goal. Wishful thinking?

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Laziest player on the team = Semin

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:09 PM

i disagree - not always smart but very hard working

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Let's play. What is wrong with my fingers maybe it's the keyboard.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Semin's at his best when another team targets him. It wakes him up. His best games are against the Pens and Flyers usually.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

anyone wanna take bets on if the Caps can hold onto a lead with 9 to go?

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:14 PM

i might - but you gotta give me odds

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_In_AZ:

If you call skating through neutral, doing thirty stick moves, losing the puck, hooking the guy who steals it and then getting a penalty "hard work", well then I am watching a different game.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

the odds will depend on Corvo's ice time the rest of the way my friend.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

One more goal would be nice...

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

"anyone wanna take bets on if the Caps can hold onto a lead with 9 to go?"

---

I bet they do. This is the first game they've played in a long time like they've really wanted it.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if they win this game on the scoreboard. It really doesn't matter. If they don't send a message to Atlanta, and the rest of the league, after that head shot from Armstrong, they are going to continue to get pushed around. Someone needs to hunt heads and show the league that the Caps won't be outmuscled, because right now, if I were Boston or another team looking at the eigth spot, I would think I could beat this team with physical play.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | April 1, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

corvo - finally with a nice play along the boards

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

chimera's been hitting a lot more after he got demoted to the 4th line.

maybe we can do that to flash and fehr and jc

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | April 1, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

They've been looking good for the last ten minutes.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 1, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Semin, still no shots which is the only thing he does well.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 1, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

These guys flop more than an European Soccer Team. If they ever actualyl called diving we'd have at least 6 PPs this game.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Is this the swan song for ATL?

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

bradley looks possessed - he wants every puck

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

if colby armstrong can run around like that, than anyone can. I actually miss Brian Sutherby sometimes. He was a guy who held opponents accountable when they took liberties.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

EN goal for Ovi to tie Crosby?

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | April 1, 2010 9:19 PM |

lol.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

1:00 left!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Come on boys we can hold the lead here.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Semin, still no shots which is the only thing he does well.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 1, 2010 9:20 PM

semin has the best hands and stick/puck control as well as stealing the puck better than anyone else on the team

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Again, Morrisonn is playing great defensively.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"By the way, all the more important to send a message about your toughness to the team that might sneak into 8th place. This game was a loss, no matter what the score is."

---

That's horsecrap. This team has been playing physical all game. They've out-physicaled ATL this game and it shows. They've been playing the hit before the puck atthe boards all game, and it's showing late. You can see the thrashers cringe at the boards every times.

Cheap shots are not the same as "playing physical." All retaliating does at this point is risk our guys getting suspended, b/c they love to suspend out guys.

We out physicaled them tonight, they out cheap shotted and out flopeed us. This game has been a win any way you look at it, stop being a chicken little.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

The funniest part about that is probably dropping Boston's name. Yeah, the team that didn't do anything when their superstar got knocked into next year is a perfect example of why team's should stick up for each other.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

ovi with an EN'er??

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Have a counterpoint, Richmondphil? I love the Caps, but right now they don't look like a team with a deep playoff run. Anyone can take shots at them.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | April 1, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

EXCELLENT WIN!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

All right!!!! I can exhale now...

Have a great night everyone. CAPS CAPS CAPS!!!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 1, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeahhh Varly.
Bring on the Pens

Posted by: instinct227 | April 1, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

hahaha @ ATL. Boston loses 1-0.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

So if they win one more, that is pretty much clinching presidents trophy, right?

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

YUCK. A much-needed win yes, but the Caps are so much better than that performance tonight. Boudreau needs to fire these guys up going into the last 5.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 - i couldn't pull the trigger on that bet - guess that tells me what i really think about the d

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

4th line gettin more time than 3rd line. Does that make them the 3rd line then?

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone can take shots at them."

Morrison was right there. He even got an offsetting penalty for it.

What more do you want? You want Bradley to take a stick to his head? You realize that literally any sort of retaliatory shot would have resulted in a penalty and likely a suspension.

Again, stop being a freaking pansy about everything. The only thing wrong about that entire exchange was that the refs missed a blatant headshot that should have been a 5:00, a game misconduct, and a suspension.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

A pretty good defensive effort tonight.

Backstrom with an Ovechkin-like cross-ice pass for all the wrong reasons.

Who cares about individual awards... OK, I do and the players do, too... but team above player all day everday.

Varlamov was strong and made up for a number of defensive lapses.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"

"

---

O-fer on the PK tonight.

20 shots allowed all night.

2 even strength goals. At least 3 misses by my count. A couple bounces and this is a 5-1 game.

Again, after the last few, what more do you people want, esp. against an ATL team fighting for their life?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:28 PM

its encouraging that the caps can play a tight low scoring game against an opponent that is desparate - i say the opposite of yuck - whatever that might be

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:29 PM |

And on top of that, Armstrong will probably be suspended upon review.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

kirk - that was a suckers bet anyway. I do like that we only gave up one goal. I thought they'd get at least 3.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SuperZ3383

Well ATL was playing for their playoff lives and they played really well and hard. Like Locker mentioned, there were A LOT of good one on ones where the Thrashers defender defended very well. It was a good, grind it out kinda win. You're not always going to score 5 goals, especially in the playoffs. This game is probably mostly how it's going to be in the playoffs.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Philly, Boston, and Atlanta all lost tonight. hah.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

they shoulda beaten em like 5-2. We had a huge advantage on paper over them before even the Ilya trade. Crazy. Its either parity or an example of how much a team game hockey really is.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Varly, although not tested much, looked good and this game boosted his confidence.

Passing to the middle of the ice all night was not working and almost cost us the game.

Overall, a lackluster effort by the Caps. A wins a win yes, but I feel like the Caps as a team were at about a 65 percent (Brads was at 150 percent in the third). Must turn the dial to 100 percent going into the big dance.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

You want someone to drop gloves. Not a cheap shot, just a message that you won't be pushed around. No one gets suspended for that - well unless you are Ovie.

This is the problem with hockey now vs. 20 years ago thanks to the rules the NHL has created (such as they are). Armstrongs of the world can take cheap shots like that with no consequences.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | April 1, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

they shoulda beaten em like 5-2

i think if the caps score 5 then they probably would have given up 4
atl missed a few good chances too

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:33 PM |

Are you serious?

Come on now...I know that you have more hockey sense than that.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

"You want someone to drop gloves"

---

Again, Morrisonn was right there. The only reason gloves weren't dropped was because the refs broke it up. What's the point of fighting after that? More needless penalties? the refs had it out for us all game, why give them another excuse to put our guys in the box?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Why should we have stomped them? Two of the four previous games this season against Atlanta had been 1 goal games, and they improved with the Kovalchuk trade. I'm glad the Caps kept them to a low score, they needed a game like this.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it was a "lackluster effort." It was a defensive oriented game, maybe that's why it seemed like a lackluster performance. It's good to see them tighten up (except for that one goal.) They're only human, it's tough to get up for a game that doesn't really have any effect on their standing.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Cstanton..you yourself said you'd rather the Caps keep it tight, than to even win 5-4 or something like that. SO which is it?

also;

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | April 1, 2010 9:34 PM |

The instigator rule is the worst rule in the history of sports. However, if you don't think the NHL is better than it was 15-20 years ago when it was clutch n grab fest, you're crazy.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

A couple bounces and this is a 5-1 game.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:31 PM

That logic works both ways.

A couple of bounces and Atlanta scores 3 or 4 goals.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

you guys don't think that the Caps are/should be a DRAMATICALLY better team than the freaking atlanta thrashers?

can any of you name more than 3 Thrasher players ? come on. Lets not put this bar any lower than it already is.

no one here thought Atlanta even had a chance to make the playoffs this year, much less after trading away its top player.

thats my point.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry, this was NOT a playoff game. Maybe it was kind of for ATL, but they're a team who hasn't won a playoff game in their entire existence. Like I said before: the Caps as a team were at about a 65 percent all game. Not going to cut it down the stretch."

---

were you even watching the same game as me? 65%?? Really?

This is the first 60 min. game I've seen them play since the 2-0 rangers game, what, 3 weeks ago?

Holy crap guys. We are a team with literally nothing but pride to play for, and they are a team fighting for their lives. We were riding a HARD slump. we turned it around and had a solid defensive effort, only allowing 20 shots. We were hitting like madmen to the point where they were cringing in anticpation of the shot, and we allowed ZERO ZERO ZERO PK Goals.

ZERO!

What did they flash at the beginning of the game? we were like 5-11 on PK recently? 0-3 tonight!

give credit where credit is due, chickens.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say it WAS a playoff game. I said the games in the playoffs are probably going to be LIKE this game.. low shots on goal, good goaltending, defense orientated... just because it wasn't as exciting of a game doesn't mean they played at 65%. You have to understand ATL did a pretty good job defending us. I was not expecting to blow them out, they are fighting for their playoff lives.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:

I do agree that it maybe seemed lackluster because of how defensive it was. But, the "they're only human" comment is in fact the problem right now. In hockey, you have to be able to get up each night. I know it's tough when everything is pretty much locked up, but not getting up for a game that has no affect on their standing BREEDS lazy play and that can then lead to someone getting hurt and losing hockey games in the last 5 min. Not good traits to have going into the Playoffs where anything less that 100 percent doesn't cut it.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

"That logic works both ways.

A couple of bounces and Atlanta scores 3 or 4 goals."

---

Sure. I really only threw that in as an aside. In the last few games, those bounces have gone against us. Tonight, no team really got any bounces (save from the refs).

My only point is that anyone dnouncing hte effort tonight needs their head examined.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

________________________

That's easy to do without the fact that we just played them and their in our division.

Your irony is showing a bit, cstanton1.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I thought cstanton was kidding..

No one ever said the Thrashers were better but you can't just assume a team will just beat another team. Okay, so Atlanta isn't the greatest team but this is SPORTS. "Any given Sunday." Does being the better team on paper mean anything? NO!! Just ask the Redskins!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

"Not good traits to have going into the Playoffs where anything less that 100 percent doesn't cut it."

---

It wasn't less than 100% that's the point.

You're on Drugs.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

hockey is better now in certain aspects only. I like the fact it isnt' clutch and grab anymore. I don't think anyone really has a problem with that rule improvement.

But this game has lost its balls in some aspects. And balls is why a lot of us longterm hockey watchers never spent too much time watching the euro leagues. That and we didn't have anything but HTS.

Guys like Gary Roberts and Dale Hunter and even Rick Tocchet wouldn't fit into today's hockey. And those were 3 really big contributors to the game and their teams. just sayn

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line: it's nice to get the W (and the first goal). Still, overall we are MUCH MUCH better than that. Boudreau needs to build on the positives, talk about how important the passes to the middle of the ice are, and keep the defense up going down the stretch.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

still more bi*ching and moaning even after a win... one happy group

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I just did the math.

In 12 GP since the Olympic Break (ending Mar 3?), Ovie has 12 pts.

WHY DO I FEEL LIKE HE IS SLUMPING?

He sure looks like a guy who is more interested in winning, than any individual accolade.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

hey i'm not upset we only beat em 2-1. I was remarking how odd it is that within the span of just about 25 games, the gap between us and them doesn't seem as wide as it once did.

its not a big deal, just an observation, so keep yer panties on folks. please. since most of you are guys.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

You SHOULD be able to get up each night, but you can't. It's a fact. You can't get up for every game. But in this case, it doesn't apply to tonight because they did play hard.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

still more bi*ching and moaning even after a win... one happy group

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

thats right joe, we're all here to dampen your bloomers.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

cstanton, trading Kovalchuk IMPROVED Atlanta, it didn't hurt them. Sure, they lost one of the best shooters in the NHL - but in return, they got a skilled defenseman and a good forward. That improved their defense, which made the team better. And when you look at their roster, they have a number of talented players. Antropov, Afinegenov, Bergfors, Kozlov, Kane, Bogosian, Kubina, Oduya... there is a lot of talent there, and they did a great job of improving the team during the year. I really hope they don't make the playoffs, because they could be a problem for the Caps.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

That was a good, grind-it-out, blue-collar win. The Caps can expect to be played like that in the playoffs so we fans had better get used to the idea of close, tight checking, low shots, low scoring games. It'll be interesting to see if Colby gets any supplemental discipline (he should have been out of the game).

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | April 1, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

And you think that's all the Caps, and has nothing to do with Atlanta? For a guy who knows a lot about other players, you make it seem like they employ an AHL team or something.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

How about Mike Green, the defenseman!

He has been playing some of the best overall hockey of his career in the last few games. He's doing it at both ends.

If that somehow continues into the playoffs, it will be a huge boost for this team.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 1, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

cstanton:

Good point. I know it's a divisional game, and they were the "desperate" team (although if you call that game desperation then they don't deserve to be in the Playoffs), but the best team in the NHL should beat the 20th best team in the NHL (yes, they are 20th if you include the West in the mix) by more than 2-1 when at home.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Your irony is showing a bit, cstanton1.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

did you mean i'm being contradictory?

this game doesn't thrill me either way. I don't consider Atl to be a real tough opponent so the fact we beat them at home 2-1 isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't make me feel super happy. I am happy Brads got the winning goal though. See I'm not all doom and gloom.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 9:49 PM |

I wouldn't mind them at all.

Honestly, you can say every team could be a problem for the Caps.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Tonight, the Caps played strong defense, which is what they need to do. They can put up a number of goals pretty much any night, but they need to work on letting less in. It was a good game tonight, and the type of game the Caps needed to play.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

trust me Timmy, I GET THAT. I'm the one always saying you can't judge a trade by how much skill or points you give up. I get it. I'm just saying there's a lotta fans here and everywhere who would've been incredulous had anyone stated that the Thrash and the Caps were comparable at any point, much less after losing their top skill player.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, this was an "eh" win. But i'll take an "eh" win right now.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 1, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 9:49 PM |

I wouldn't mind them at all.

Honestly, you can say every team could be a problem for the Caps.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:51 PM

Let me rephrase.... they would be more of a problem for the Caps than other teams that have a good shot of ending up 8th. I would much rather face Boston or the Rangers than the Thrashers. Of course, I would rather face the Thrashers than the Flyers.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it was the best win ever, but I don't go posting how I think they should've beat them 5-2 because how they look "on paper."

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | April 1, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

atlanta's roster on paper doesn't even come close to the Caps. My point is, teams can overcome their lack of topshelf talent by committing to a team concept. Thats how you close the gap on a team with far superior talent.

anyway, i'm not sure what i'm arguin about any more. I think i overposted today. I'm beat. bye

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

as Bill Torrey the architect of the NY Islanders Dynasty of the '80's once told Brian Burke, the key to win the Cup is to build a team that can win in more than one way... a team that's comfortable playing 2-1 hockey games as well as 6-5 ones

because when you have to win 4 rounds in the playoffs, you're gonna face different style of teams and you have to have a team that can play more than one style of hockey to win the Cup... some nights you'll have to grind it out on some nights even in the playoffs, you're gonna have 6-5 type of games.

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

The Caps just won a playoff game. They blocked shots, threw the body, and did just enough to beat a desperate team. I'm proud of their effort tonight.

Posted by: Terptwin | April 1, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

"I'm just saying there's a lotta fans here and everywhere who would've been incredulous had anyone stated that the Thrash and the Caps were comparable at any point, much less after losing their top skill player."

---

If at midseason, you told me that with 5 or 6 games to go, the caps having locked up the entire conference, and the thrash fighting to stay in the playoffs at all, we would grit out a 2-1 win...

I would have completely believed you.

You're acting as if motivation has nothing to do with sports.

But, I'm pretty sure you're jsut a troll.

Must be some life, trolling the caps insider board. I bet you are a hit at parties. Or would be, if you had any friends.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SuperZ3383

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

There Lisa is again with that sexy BLACK blouse...ew

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 1, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

A gritty win in regulation! Good! Defense played well. Glad to see a solid win. Much happier than the last 3. Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | April 1, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

"Come on, I know you know better... does the best team always win? No... look at all the upsets in college basketball this tournament. That's the best thing about sports, everyone has a chance. You think we should beat every team we play 5-1? Sorry ain't gonna happen. You know these teams we're playing are professional teams and they have a lot of pride. Just because you're the best team doesn't mean you can be beaten. If you're thinking that way, then why did Pittsburgh lose to Tampa Bay 2-0 last night?"

----

Rachel, you're thinking logically. That's your error. You need to think like a sports pessimist.

The mindset of the sports pessimist is very simple: "I'm either right (when things go bad) or I'm pleasantly suprised."

It's the absolute most cop-outie attitude one could have. I can't see how anyone could take any solace in being "right" when things go bad.

I would rather be wrong, and positive, than right and negative. I imagine it's such a joyless way to go through games.

Look at some of these guys. It's 10 mins left and we jsut score the go-ahead goal. what do they say? "Hey who wants tobet be blow it?" Me? I was rockign my socks off for that last 10 mins, while they were sniveling babies crying on their couch waiting for "the inevitable" that never came.

Such a coward approach to things.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

VTDuffman: Haha, yeah I find it kinda difficult to see where some of these posters are coming from. Wouldn't sports be soooo boring if the better team always won and they won by a large margin?? What's the point of even playing the game then? That's an asinine comment from SuperZ3383, sorry...

Posted by: rachel216 | April 1, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Also, FWIW, by my math our magic number right now is 3 for the President's Trophy. Not that it means anything, but would be a nice feather in the cap for this Franchise - who were quite literally the worst team in the entire league just 2 1/2 years ago.

Literally Worst to Literally (potentially) First in 2.5 years. If you joyless suckers out there can't find any satisfaction in that, I don't know what to tell you.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

there's a great article by Burnside of espn about the Preds... luv to see them and the Caps in the finals

the battle of coaches with no neck!

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I scored tickets at the last minute and was at the game. Caps played great D in the first period, but lemme tell ya, there were PLENTY of chances that Atlanta missed by just a tiny bit---I was so glad the Caps held on and won. I was especially glad that those shots didn't go in because
Varley really needed a win tonight.

There were two uncalled delay of games -- should have been called against Atlanta in the first period. The head shot on Perrault was so blatant, really couldn't believe there was only a 2 minute called.

It was a relief to see the Caps win this one, in regulation.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 1, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

VTDuffman:"I hate to break it to you guys, but this team isn't going to score 6 goals every game."

AHHHHH, Why not? I don't think I can watch these games if they don't score more than 5 a game...... Ohh Whoa is me!

Posted by: eorr | April 1, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Perreault damn near gets decapitated, and what do the Caps do? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Time, after time, after time ---- the exact same reaction. COWARDICE!! Are there NO REAL MEN on this team? Poti and ShaMo just stand there like 2 kittie cats. If I'm Perreault, I get the picture real quick. "Ain't nobody got my back around here."
Personally, my reaction was to change the channel. And, I never turned it back either. Actually, forgot all about the sissies. I see where it was Bradley that scored the winning goal. Other than Earskine, he's the ONLY guy with any testicles. That's why they don't deserve to even SMELL the Cup. Across the top, it should read, "For men only." That would certainly disqualify them "Men?" right off.

Posted by: Puckguru | April 1, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Puckguru smells like Pittsburgh...

Posted by: eorr | April 1, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least cstanton 1 and richmondphil "Get it."

Posted by: Puckguru | April 1, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

"Well, at least cstanton 1 and richmondphil "Get it.""

----

Cstanton1 is a troll (like you) and richmondphil doesn't agree with you (read the thread again).

Shoo troll, go away. I'm sorry your penguins are one of the few teams faltering *worse* than the caps right now.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

@ eorr,
Actually, I was born & raised there. Left when I was 24. Great town!! Most of the folks have MADD TESTICLES. Not like these whoosps around here. The truth of it is, that Sidney ( You know. The guy The Caps let score a zillion goals from RIGHT IN THE CREASE during last seasons' playoffs ) and Co. won that series exactly because Wash. has no guts. Sorry, but those are the facts. Nights like 2nite almost make me wish I weren't a Caps fan. Where's Scott Stevens when we need him.

Posted by: Puckguru | April 1, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry, but those are the facts. Nights like 2nite almost make me wish I weren't a Caps fan"

You aren't a caps fan.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@ V T Duffman,
Just so you'll know, I've NEVER been a Penguins fan. Was a Pgh. Hornets fan back in the day. But, sissies like you surely wouldn't even know about stuff like that. You're probably still living at home with your Mama. Poor woman....

Posted by: Puckguru | April 1, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Puckguru | April 1, 2010 10:43 PM

you could change your URL too - and never change back

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

You were born, raised, and lived 24 years in Pittsburgh, and you were never a Penguins fan? I find that hard to believe.

Shoot, I'm only 29, but I was born, raised and lived my entire life here. I can't imagine moving somewhere else and not being a Capitals fans.

Serious question - after the Cheap shot to Perrault, Morrisonn among others came to his defense before being broken up by the refs (And got an offsetting 2 min minor for roughing for the pleasure)...

What would your preferred alternative have been. What would have been the move that would have been more "TESTICLES" or whatever you want to call it?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I knew I smelled Sh*ttsburgh. Actually Guru, I am living at home with your Momma. You should get back to the Burgh quick!

Posted by: eorr | April 1, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching the LA vs Van game on NHL Net?

Posted by: eorr | April 1, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

PuckGuru, stop trolling. Don't you have anything better to do? Maybe you weren't watching right after the Perrault hit, but as soon as ShaMo realized something had happened (since neither he or Poti were in position to see it), he came back to defend Perrault.

And maybe you should try looking at the Caps roster, because you didn't even mention their scrappiest player (who is out with an injury, btw) - namely, Scott Walker. He could whip any of those Pittsburgh wusses you are a fan of.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Where's Scott Stevens when we need him.

Posted by: Puckguru | April 1, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Stevens became a much better d-man AFTER he learned to control his emotions and stopped going after everyone who said bad things about his mama... that's why he was NEVER the d-man Langway was when he was here

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Just came back from the game. Glad and relieved that the Caps won. It appeared to be a defensive struggle, so to speak.

Varly did well enough to win a low scoring game. I think the kid's back.

Nice goal for Nicky (with assists credited to Green and Ovi and a pass in there from Semin to Ovi that wasn't credited as an assist but only 2 people can get assists.)

Nice goal by Bradley to break his scoring drought. The 4th line looked great today.

I hope Matty P. is okay. I didn't seem him back in the game after a certain point. It seemed that both Backstrom and Belanger were taking long shifts and spending time on the Semin/Laich line along with their own.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 1, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the Bradley goal, I am more impressed each time I watch it. First, by Chimera's play along the boards to knock the puck into the corner. Second, by Bradley's physicality in knocking Chelios off the puck and maintaining control afterwards. And third, by the move Bradley made to get the puck to the front and push it past Pavelec. I'm glad Bradley got back into scoring - I wonder if he can get double digit goals for the first time in his career. And 4 of his 9 goals this year have been game-winners - who'd have guessed?

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

from espn's game recap:
Washington coach Bruce Boudreau called the hit "flagrant," while Armstrong said it was an accident.

"I was going to go right through him. I think he kind of bailed on me a little bit," Armstrong said. "I didn't mean to get my arms up into his neck or anything like that."

really armstrong? your right arm had to come across your own body to make that contact - if you had kept your arms in - i would probably believe you

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 1, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with Ovi? Did anyone notice his complete lack off hustle on the sole Atlanta goal...he just watched as the Thrashers charged toward the net and put it in. Also, his passing is deplorable. Sometines I think Boudreau is so in awe of him that I wonder if he is capable of really coaching him. Ovi, unlike the more disciplined Crosby, needs to be actively coached. He is impetuous and sloppy. Don't get me wrong, I love watching Ovi, but I think he is not being coached well enough. Anyone agree?

Posted by: gocaps2009 | April 1, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

eorr - Kings taking it to Luongo.

Posted by: gonchpup | April 1, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I like BB but he needs to take Ovi off the point on the PP... both Ovi and the PP itself suffer greatly because of it

teams have pretty much figured out what to expect...

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

gocaps2009 - WHAT? Ovie is very coachable and Bruce is a hell of a coach. So he hasn't found the back of the net lately... give him a break. His passing is "deplorable"? It's never been his strongest asset, but that's not why he's out there anyway... remember the shots, hits, and energy...

Posted by: gonchpup | April 1, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyplace I can see a video of the Armstrong hit on Perrault? For some odd reason, neither NHL.com or the Caps site has it included in their highlights.

gocaps, on the Atlanta goal, Ovie was doing exactly what he should have been - guarding his man. If he had rushed into the defensive zone, that would have left an open man trailing behind him. If you watch the right side of the replay, he slowed down to keep pace with the third Atlanta guy coming into the zone, which is actually sound defense. He gets blamed for sloppy defense all the time, which is not the case. As a winger, he is supposed to guard the defenseman,which is why he sits back near the blue line so often. Boudreau has done a fantastic job of coaching Ovie - he has turned into a good passer, has improved his defense, and has become very much of a team player.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

teams have pretty much figured out what to expect...

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 11:37 PM |

I totally agree. I think the PP was much better when Ovie was on the wing, and a different forward was on the point with Green. Honestly, I would like to see how Backstrom could do there - his puck control and passing are incredible, but I don't know if his shot would be effective from there.

Maybe Green and Backstrom at the blue line, Ovie and Semin on the wings, and Knuble in front of the net?

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 1, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Both Stamkos and Ovi have 46 goals but Stamkos has 21 PP goals compared to Ovi's 12...

they put Stamkos at half boards and set him up for those wicked one-timers... they set up Ovi for one-timers as well but his shots come from the point, 50-60 feet away compared to 30-40 feet for Stamkos' one-timers

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

It was a little while ago but I don't understand so many people's b*tching about the trades.

Yes, Belanger is not a great center but acquiring him has definitel improved the team. Remember, all he cost was a 2nd round pick. His acquistion gave the Caps a much needed third line center and allowed the Caps to move Flash to the third line LW and Chimera to the 4th line.

Barring injury I think the Steckel, Bradley, and Chimera line will be the 4th line in the playoffs. They look pretty good too.

The Walker and Jurcina trades were soley for depth and will end up costing a combined 7th round draft pick (assuming Jurcina never plays).

Corvo also is not great but he has been an imporvement over Pothier. I am against pairing him with Poti but I would also be against having Pothier with Poti. I think Corvo should be paired with ShaMo and Poti with Carlson.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 1, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

timmyv38:

there is now way armstrong didn't know what he was doing

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 2, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

the best view of the hit starts at :36 in the video

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 2, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Name 3 Thrashers? I can name the whole roster! I'm a DC native living in the ATL and I have Thrashers season tix. I only root against them when they play the Caps. I hope they get 8th place, so I can see the Caps in the first round down here.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | April 2, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse