Tonight's Lineup Vs. Boston

This is how the lineup looks as of 10 a.m., but Coach Boudreau said it's there's a good chance that it will change before tonight's preseason finale against Boston.

Forwards
Ovechkin-Laich*-Fehr
Steckel-Fedorov-Semin
Fleischmann-Nylander-Clark
Bourque-Gordon-Bradley

Defense
Morrisonn-Green
Jurcina-Alzner
Schultz-Erskine

*Theodore will start and is expected to play the full 60 minutes again.

*Laich is on the top line because Backstrom is suffering from cold-like symptoms and will not play, Boudreau said.

*Boudreau also said he wanted to use this game as a dress rehearsal, but Backstrom's illness and Kozlov's injury are going to prevent that from happening.

*Kozlov (groin strain) also is not playing but is expected to return to practice this week.

*It's looking like the Caps are not going to make final cuts until the last possible moment because various roster scenarios are being contemplated. If you read between the lines and take into consideration the team's tight salary cap situation, it's looking (to me, at least) like the Capitals might keep fewer than the roster maximum of 23 in order to save money against the cap and provide the team with some flexibility down the road.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 5, 2008; 10:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Pound Flyers, 5-1
Next: Boudreau Pregame

Comments

Is Poti injured or just taking a break?

Posted by: Anton | October 5, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Cold-like symptoms -- is that an "upper body injury"?

Posted by: uncatim | October 5, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, my favorite players are dropping like flies. First Kozzy, now Backstrom..

Injuries and illness have made these lines all screwy.

Posted by: Jordan | October 5, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Also, why have I never seen this Boudreau commercial before?

Posted by: Jordan | October 5, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@ Anton-

"Boudreau said Tom Poti is out because he's already played two games this week, and being the elder statesman didn't need the work."

Posted by: Riddler | October 5, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@Jordan
That commercial is hilarious, where did you find it?

Posted by: seahawk | October 5, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jordan | October 5, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

That commercial will be airing this season. They just shot it a couple weeks ago. Steinberg had a blog article from the shoot.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 5, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I love that commercial! He couldn't look more awkward and its hilarious.
I would say I'd volunteer to suffer through Back's cold for him, but I've already got one. Glad to hear Koz's skating again.
Flash-Nyls-Clark seems to be a line BB's sticking with. Besides Greener & Mo, it seems to be the only line that's sticking so far. Looking forward to the game tonight to see how everything works out. Especially with "Juiskin" back on the blueline (although blessedly broken up)

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 5, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think Tarik may be right. The reason for skating Fedorov at D is to make sure that we can start Alzner at Hershey but still have 7 players capable of playing D at the NHL level.

OV-Backstrom-Koz
Laich-Fedorov-Semin
Flash-Nyls-Clark
Brash-Steckel-Bradley

D would be Mo, Green, Poti, Schultz, Jurcina, & Erskine. If one of those 6 needs the night off, Fedorov plays D, Nyls moves up to 2nd line C and Gordon or Laich fill in as 3rd line C.

Alzner gets top pairing minutes at Hershey to start the season.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah.. now TWO of our pairings will suck..

Posted by: Jordan | October 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Some pretty interesting combos for this afternoon.

I agree with Sombrero Guy. It only makes sense to move Alzner to Hershey, for all the obvious reasons. It will give him time to play massive minutes, put the team under the salary cap, and it can be done without hurting the club.

I know, I know, the nattering nabobs say all of our D-men suck but in fact they don't. So just get over it. We have a pretty good D, an awesome O, and I think the G will be fine.

I'm looking forward to a good season but, man, there are a LOT of good teams in this league. There are going to be 82 major battles this year and that just gets us to the war. I hope.

Paul R

Posted by: Paul R | October 5, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Im selling 2 tickets in Section 105 Row C Seats 7/8 aka 3 rows back, right behind the Bruins net tonight, were the Caps shoot twice!!!

Face Value = $80 a ticket

Will accept BEST OFFER for the 2 seats!!!

Please call Zack at 703-994-3784 to set up a exchange time...

(Centreville, Fairfax, Chantilly, Tysons Corner areas)

thanks alot GO CAPS GO!!!

Posted by: Zack Attack | October 5, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Love the BB commercial! :-)
Leeguru - you should have gotten him in to do that for BMW! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 5, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@ Jordan
I am sure alot of others teams would be more than willing to have as you say, "two sets of sucking D". Lets wait untill mid-season and see what you say then.

Its only preseason, but our "D" is one of the top in the league. Let the young guys grow from last year.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 5, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I will be at the game hoping my boy Fehr knocks in a couple.

Posted by: JSchon | October 5, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Capsfannmiss,
I think Jordan was referring to my comment that Juiskin was broken up and not playing on the same lines tonight.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 5, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Reminder to everyone that you need to cheer a little louder today against Boston because I won't be there. ;) Decided to let my dad take today's tickets, don't worry, he's a Caps fan.

Anyone doing beers before the home opener?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 5, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I know we're a great defensive team, sheesh. Don't be so serious all the time, I was just commenting that Jurcina and Erskie blow. If some other team wants that duo, I'd be happy to oblige them if I were GM.

I'm one of the people that LIKE Poti and Schultz. Gimme a break!

Posted by: Jordan | October 5, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

has anyone checked put the lineup for the bruins today? this is not going to be easy.

Posted by: sheesh | October 5, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else a little worried about the flippin and floppin of our boy Jose? I know this is just his second full game but...

Posted by: Robb | October 5, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Well we are back from the game and I guess the best thing I can say is if it had been You-Eh (7 goals on 15 shots) the Bruins would have scored 21. Frankly, other than that, I can't think of much positive to say about JT's performance tonight. It seems a lot of players have stepped up with the notable exception of JT!

On a more positive note that play Alzner/Borque made was great! Alzner was very impressive tonight, if the two of them are sent to Hershey, watch out!

If that was typical of JT on shootouts, out guys need to spend the next week practicing penalty shots, but I would suggest shooting them at BJ or else they will get a false sense of security when EVERYTHING goes in the net.

Posted by: Bob | October 5, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I have seen the Mercedes commercial a couple of times already and I must say Bruce is much smoother than Eddie Jordan. I wonder if Mercedes really has a cup that big.

Posted by: Erin | October 6, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse