Tonight's Lineup Vs. Philly

Prospect Jay Beagle was recalled this morning and Sergei Fedorov will indeed play defense. Here's the rest of the lineup:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Bourque
Fleischmann-Nylander Clark
Laich-Steckel-Fehr
Brashear-Beagle-Gordon

Defenseman
Morrisonn-Green
Fedorov-Schultz
Alzner-Poti

*Viktor Kozlov (groin strain) did not practice again today. Boudreau said he should be back early next week.

*Fedorov and Nylander opted not to skate today.

*Beagle, Boudreau said, was recalled as a reward for his performance this preseason, specifically his game again Philly on Wednesday. If you remember, he tuned up Steve Downie. I'll have more on Beagle and his unexpected rise from the University of Alaska to the ECHL to the Bears to Caps' prospect in tomorrow's paper.

*Quintin Laing, meantime, has been back home with his wife Aimee in recent days. She gave birth to their second child, a boy, earlier this week.

*Jose Theodore, as previously reported, is expected to play the entire 60 minutes tonight and again vs. Boston on Sunday.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 3, 2008; 10:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fedorov On the Blue Line (Updated)
Next: Caps Pound Flyers, 5-1

Comments

why not play erskine or juice at d?

Posted by: matty | October 3, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Wish I could go to the game tonight. I want to see Brashear light someone up. I will be there on Sunday though.

Posted by: 828 | October 3, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I would be watching out for Eminger to take a cheap shot on Ovechkin.

Posted by: 828 | October 3, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

For some reason, I really like this lineup. Beagle has been absolutely tremendous, Bourque gets a try out on the 1st line where he might be some day. Our D is absolutely stacked up and down. No Kozlov.

One thing...Where's Semin?

Posted by: 94 | October 3, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

OV-Backs-Bourque
Flash-Nyls-Semin
Clark-Laich-Fehr
Brash-Stecks-Brads

Same D

Posted by: 94 | October 3, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

First game I'll be able to watch in its entirety since preseason began. Looking forward to it! Can't wait to see how CB does up front and what the score is now that we've got of our big guns in the lineup.

Kozlov & Semin sitting with ineffectually large duo.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

lol @JMU, I can already hear their theme song

Posted by: honed | October 3, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Theodore playin the whole 60 in goal?

Posted by: Pills | October 3, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I am interested I think most in how Bourque will aquit himself. He may be the surprise breakthrough player this year (I hold little hope for Fehr, he just never impresses me.)

Sapper

Posted by: Sapper | October 3, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

honed,
haha, they should have one. That way our offense can know when they should be extra careful cause they won't be getting much help from the blueline.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I guess Semin's still recovering from rocking the roller coasters.

Posted by: Jill | October 3, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

JMU - is this on tv (philly or DC?) I have Directv, any chance I can catch this somewhere?

Posted by: NJ | October 3, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I think CB playing on the top line says the team is really giving him a look. Brash and Beagle on the same line. Be afraid Flyers, be very afraid.

Posted by: Kim | October 3, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@94 and just in general,

I really like those combinations, but you have to think how a line composed of gordo steck and brads would dominate in the face off circle and they would be forechecking demons. it would be hard to scratch your one enforcer though. we have some tough guys, but no one that can go toe to toe with the likes of cote. It was extremely impressive to see beagle drop the gloves, cant wait to see him on the big club's roster. Kozlov out is going to be a huge chance for bourque and some of the other guys, i like it.

Posted by: capsHSC | October 3, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

NJ,
The Caps are streaming it live on the website. Its not a super amazing picture, but its Caps hockey.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Not that I'm complaining, but what about:

"Boudreau also said that he's planning to treat the next two exhibitions -
against the Flyers and Bruins - as dress rehearsals, with most of the star players in the lineup and the lines and pairings looking a whole lot like they will on opening night."

?

Posted by: Section 117 | October 3, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Most of the star players in the lineup--Check
Lines and pairings look a whole lot like...opening night--Check.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-(insert injured Koz or someone else)
Fleischmann-Nylander Clark - could be
Laich-Steckel-Fehr - could be
Brashear-Beagle-Gordon - switch Beagle and Gordon, then insert Brads

Morrisonn-Green - sure
Fedorov-Schultz - who knows?
Alzner-Poti - if KA stays, most likely

Semin is really the only one not in the lineup that will be definite next week.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

interesting lineup. With Kozlov out you would think this would be a great chance for Fehr to shine but Bourque got the call on the first line. I think Bourque might actually make the team if he as another good showing tonight.

Posted by: madflava | October 3, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

828:
Why do you think Emmy is going after Ovie?

Posted by: Boo! | October 3, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

No Semin? Maaan.

At least cBo gets on the first line. That'll be fun to watch. This lineup would be spectacular with one more Semin and one less Fleisch/Fehr.

Get well soon, Kozzy!

Posted by: Jordan | October 3, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Anuone else think Kozzy isn't hurt but being traded???? Just an inkling I have....I know it was reported a "mild" groin strain...but.....??!!

Posted by: Phil R | October 3, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Interesting pairings on D. One puck mover and one s&h in each group. Things are getting interesting now, I'm liking no Erskine and no Jurcina.

Posted by: Steve R | October 3, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

@Tarik
"tuned up", lol, i love it!

Yay! i get to go to the game tonite, in a luxury box, to boot. free food + free beer + Caps hockey = heaven.

Posted by: fullright | October 3, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@Section 117

Who's saying that with the exception of a missing Semin, these aren't close to the opening day lines?

Maybe Kozzie's gonna be out longer than they're saying and maybe the team is fed up with 4 and 23.

Posted by: keef | October 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

...and yes, I used "fed up" on purpose in reference to our D. :)

Posted by: keef | October 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

btw, Downie is temporarily out with a mild MCL strain. Not expected to play until next week sometime.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Any room for one more @fullright?

Posted by: moocher | October 3, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Good for Laing, just hope there's a spot for him when he gets back.

Posted by: AP | October 3, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@ Phil R

In light of the recent hamstring injuries (i.e. Clark) I don't see the benefit of playing Kozzie in a preseason game with a mild groin strain. It couldn't be easy to trade someone that isn't playing because of an injury either.

Posted by: EssP | October 3, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Q!

Posted by: KK | October 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I still say something is in the works.....Kozzy/Erskine or Jurcina going somewhere......Just a prediction, please don't ban me from posting!!! By the way, any of you live in the Hagerstown area??? I am trying to get some fans together this years to watch games together at a local bar.....getting mighty old screaming at my tv like a maniac every year by myself!!!

Posted by: Phil R | October 3, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Glad I picked this one to go to. It will be my 6 y/o son's first hockey game. :)

Posted by: Steve in WV | October 3, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I like that Bourque is getting a real look tonight. Definitely says he's got a chance to crack this roster. I'd like to see Jurcina and Erskine out of the line up more often, I'm sure the D will look good today.

But why exactly did we send Lepisto down then? Who were the "rusty" ones?

I'm going to try and actually sit down to watch this one. GO CAPS!

Posted by: CapsCorndog | October 3, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@moocher
nope, sorry pal...i actually checked for ya!

Posted by: fullright | October 3, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

They're playing Bourque on the top line? AWESOME. I'm totally rooting for him and I told him so last night at Six Flags.

That and how Fedorov on D pans out will be the two most interesting things tonight, unless Brash and Beagle lay out a Flyer or two.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 3, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Someone say Clark was injured ? hahahahah

Feds on D ? hahahahahah

Posted by: Chief | October 3, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Chris is going to dazzle us all yet again, this kid is really trying to prove himself and I can see him in the opening night line up for sure.

Make it rain Chris!

Posted by: Anon | October 3, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is Cheif a total donkey?

Posted by: Steve R | October 3, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@828
thanks for shwoing your hockey knowledge..like eminger would run OV

Posted by: capsgary | October 3, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the idea of Feds playing D...to much risk for an injury...like putting AO on the PK...I hope I'm wrong!!!

Posted by: mike b | October 3, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, let's start a trade Semin blog! MAybe a Kozlov/Semin package? Heck, if Nylander were sitting, we'd be talking about him going....

I like what we will see tonite. i could take this as our team and be fine with it

Posted by: Caps Fan | October 3, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Thats a slight on Donkeys....

Posted by: NJ | October 3, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

capsgary, why wouldn't Emmy take a run at Ov? I'm thinking that 828 is right.

Posted by: Steve R | October 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that no one at the Meet the Team Party last night asked Koz about the injury directly...

I don't think he's going anywhere just yet...

Posted by: talkcaps | October 3, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Congrats the Laing family!!

Glad to see Bourque on the top line. I've been rooting for that kid ever since his first game in Hershey.

Also glad to see Beagle in the mix. I wouldn't want to skate agianst the Beagle-Brash line!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I would be watching out for Eminger to take a cheap shot on Ovechkin.

Posted by: 828 | October 3, 2008 10:40 AM

I hope he does, because they'll have to scrape him off the ice when Brashear is done with him.

Posted by: Hooch | October 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Help, I'm stuck on the ride.

Emmy will take a run at OV because OV took Emmy's spot on the roster. It was a tough call for Hanlon to make, but he made it. Gabby for Prez.

Posted by: Superman Ride | October 3, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve R

Donkey is way higher on the food chain than Chafe.

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: Mark | October 3, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@Phil R

I live in Williamsport. What establishment do you go to?

Posted by: Track Collector | October 3, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say ALASKA?

Posted by: Dave King | October 3, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I usually stay home unless there is someone to watch the game with. They are opening a Green Turtle soon here in H'town and I have watched a game or two at Garfield's in the mall in the past. I'm open, just need some Cap fans to watch games with!!!

Posted by: Phil R | October 3, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Bradley is a good dude." -- Sombrero Guy, who is probably not "close" to Bradley but is certainly an Internet celebrity.

Posted by: I need to start wearing sombrero | October 3, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I like putting Beagle in. The Flyers are chippy team anyway, no sense getting our talent hurt when we can just have Beagle break his knuckles. He's not devoid of talent (ala Mink), so let him enjoy a game or two with the bigs, and if Brash happens to get hurt during the year, he's next year's Brash.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 3, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@Kim - Heh. Heh. Heh. Brashear and Beagle on the same line... the Flyers are gonna get ... well, I just hope it's on the far end of the ice where I'm not trying to take pictures through the safety net. That's all I'm gonna say, LOL!

Glad Bourque is still in the lineup - AND on the top line! That should be fun to watch. I totally hope he actually makes the team!

Fedorov on D should also be interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that pans out.

Congratulations to the Laing family on the new son! :)

Posted by: I Rock the Red! | October 3, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, it was just hunch about Eminger trying to cheap shot Ovechkin. What a better way to get back at the Caps organization. It's not like we haven't seen Eminger cheap shot anyone before.

Posted by: 828 | October 3, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@ Phil R
I live just above Hancock & would be glad to meet for some of the games. Let me know.

Posted by: Sidehillman | October 3, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

If Eminger does try to cheap shot OV he better watch out - and I don't mean for Brashear. OV will turn him into roadkill on the next dump in to the corner. Headline reads:
"Flyers D-Man Taken Off Ice on Spatula"

Posted by: Roose | October 3, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope this is just an experiment for fun. I think Feds on the 3rd line is better than Feds with Schultz. I do like no Erksine and Juice, but I feel for Sami. I bet he'll be back up soon. I hope Beagle, Fehr, Flash, and Burque can all make positive statements.

Posted by: JIM | October 3, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the interview with Brads, my #2 favorite Cap. Always entertaining.

Posted by: Jill | October 3, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I will be sitting in section 112 row E tonight and Suite 212 on Sunday night!!! I didn't think I was going to get to go to any preseason games.

Posted by: Tim | October 3, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@sidehillman & track collector----I will let you guys know once I have a good sports bar lined up that will show ALL the games.....I was beginning to think I was the lone Caps fan out here....ton of frickin' Penguin fans though!!!

Posted by: Phil R | October 3, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

That's a lot of money riding on Superman.

Posted by: $$$$ | October 3, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

So Tarik, you going to be ready for the season? Did you get your shoulder rub? This is the last weekend, you have to get back to the top of your game!

Posted by: Bob | October 3, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I doubt very seriously that Emmy will try to cheap shot OV. That woould be the end of Emmy's career.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | October 3, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@828

Eminger wouldn't do that. He may be a Flyer now, but he remains a class act.

Posted by: Caps 423 | October 3, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

the pic on OFB of the team at Six Flags yesterday is awesome!

Posted by: doughless | October 3, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Caps 423, Emmy won't get a shot at GMGM and that's likely were he'd want to vent some frustration with a extra solid check. I don't think he'd take it out on Ovie, and that might be more trouble than it's worth. As some of you may remember, number 8 can hit okay himself and save Brash the 5 pims.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 3, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

anyone else remember when OV first came to the team he mentioned all the young guys like himself, Emmy, Mo... they always went out together... :D

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

@ Keef:

I think you're probably overreacting a tad. Unless you're name is Chelios, the list of d-men older than 37 contributing regularly and productively is kinda slim. At least that list is off the top of my chemical-soaked head. Here's hoping it is what it is, an experiment and little else.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 3, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be amazing if the defensive pairings looked like this the whole season so we never have to say Erskine or Jurcina play ever again? Obviously we need Fedorov at Center, but man it just looks so nice.

Posted by: Zack | October 3, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

sec 117,

see you around the arena tonight?

Posted by: capsfan98 | October 3, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

JSchon and 94, you guys going tonight?

Posted by: Steve R | October 3, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes sir. Spot the Hard Rock hat and yell, as cyber-gating has begun.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 3, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

whereeee the heck is semin?? he's not home yet...
and no i'm not a stalker i'm his neighbor
DON'T EVER TRADE HIM

Posted by: m | October 3, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

ok,i'll be wearing a signed backstrom jersey....i sit in the upper part row w...i believe your in the lower part right?

Posted by: capsfan98 | October 3, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I am missing another, John Prine is in town and we got tickets months ago

Posted by: Bob | October 3, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I can even watch pre-game skate from here! Anybody else not at the game?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO FLYERS WE BEATEN WASHINGTON TONIGHT!!!

Posted by: flyersfanatic | October 3, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess that would make up for your atrocious spelling and grammar.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@jschon
#4 on the list I'm honored but will wait a bit before posting my usual message since I'm busy being a new grampa.
Thanks for the enjoyable list.

Posted by: wendel | October 3, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Typical illiterate Philly scumbag. They have got to be the dumbest fans in the NHL!

Posted by: Smarter than flyersfanatic | October 3, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I take it there's no play by play for the video feed?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

So is Wendel Aimee's dad or Q's?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

OV 1 on 3, GOAL - SWEET!

I could only get the video and audio via IE. argh!

Posted by: H23 | October 3, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Nice 1 on 3 goal by Ovie.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Hope Cherry saw that.

Posted by: Kim | October 3, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

i like the experiment of Fedorov on the blue line. if it pans out then it gives the Caps a lot of flexibility with their line up.

the Jurskine combo is basically finished and Lepisto will be one of this teams first call ups. Feds will be a good stop gap til then.

www.feartheweagle.blogspot.com

be sure to visit and enjoy!

Posted by: tj caps8 | October 3, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me why Cote got the extra 2 minutes? I missed most of the fight, but I don't understand.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@tjcaps8
"The Washington Capitals plans today involved a 2:30 PM EST practice at the Kettler Ice Complex in Maryland."

um, what's wrong with this sentence?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Just got in from work. Wish I could have seen that AO goal, but question to you folks...

Has Beagle had a game like this all night??? My lordy!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 3, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Beagle's been pretty strong all night. He's definitely making his case to be near the top of the call-up shortlist.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I must say it's great having Clark back!

Thanks Caps for streaming these games....

and this is the most anticipated season in Caps History! has to be....

Posted by: H23 | October 3, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

ooops, i should proof read my stuff! i had ESPN on in the background and they were talking about the Ravens-Titans game!

Posted by: tj caps8 | October 3, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm at the game right now--
Beagle is really impressive
Alzner is ready - I'm really impressed
Brashear destroyed Cote ((who was an ass before the fight which I'd why he for the extra two))
Theodore has been strong, but he hasn't seen too many shots tonight
Can't wait for opening night

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 3, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks DrinkingPartner! The video feed is only whats on the 'tron, so we miss a lot of the good stuff.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I SAY ALASKA! hehe anyways. awesome game theo has had some great saves. ovie 3 point night, nice to have clark healthy and back, and speaking of back backie has shown up too with a goal. i'm posting still frame shots of the game from online as it progresses on facebook. check em out if u want "margaret mcguire"

Posted by: GoOVcaps | October 3, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

@tj caps8

ha, just thought i'd point that out. rest of the blog looked great! keep it up.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

flash has got to shoot! Passed up a good chance
Good kill so far
....damn

Posted by: drinkingpartner | October 3, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

here's my prediction:

Bourque will make this team. i am still undecided whether they keep Alzner or not.

Posted by: TJ CAPS8 | October 3, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Schultz's guy...

Posted by: Greg S. | October 3, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Happy now, DrinkingPartner?? :-D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

just like that flash!

Posted by: Drinkingpartner | October 3, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Very nice work there. Feds, Bourque and Flash

Posted by: Greg S. | October 3, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Did Ovie just curtsy to the ref?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

that goal keeps Fehr on the team. Bourque sent down tomorrow morning.

Posted by: TJ CAPS8 | October 3, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

fehr's goal was sick - I hope he can keep that up
Flash looks much faster than he did last year
Theodore's save on the 3-on-1 was amazingly quick
I sill think alzner looks great
I didn't see brashear's misconduct, though

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 3, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Nice shot by Feds from the Blue line and great positioning by Beagle. I'm liking him.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 3, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Announcers said they sent Cote and Brash to the locker room to prevent trouble.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Bourque could be the next Halperin

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

How is Beagle not on the scoreboard yet? He's been everywhere.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

just got home, first thing i saw was this; 2nd Period
03:16
PHI
Steve Eminger : Holding - 2 min
04:14
PHI
Riley Cote : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
04:14
WSH
Donald Brashear : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
04:14
PHI
Riley Cote served by Arron Asham : Roughing - 2 min

i cant wait to hear about it. i was wondering howhe wbrash was going to take that Laraque article.

Posted by: oo7 | October 3, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Bob:

John Prine is a pretty good reason to miss a game, but if it gets you down too much, "...fortunately I have the key to escape reality..."

Posted by: uncatim | October 3, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

ok now see Jose played a full 60 mins, didn;t come in cold and he played great. so stop all this theo bashing and worrying. HE'LL BE SUPERB FOR US.

Posted by: GoOVcaps | October 3, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Dear Bob, Dear Bob
You have no complaint
You are what are are &
You ain't what you ain't
So listen up Buster, and listen up good
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood

Posted by: uncatim | October 3, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I know the preseason doesn't mean much, but I like stats. Especially good ones.
Only one team has allowed as few goals in preseason play as the Caps...the Red Wings. We're also the only team with a GF:GA of 200%. Only team close is the Canucks, at 177%.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Just got back!

WOOOOOOOO! I am wery excite!

Posted by: Jordan | October 3, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game. Impressions:
Team looks solid
Ovi is still a bull!
Alzner looks solid (but made a couple of mistakes)
Theodore looked sharp
Bourque has promise (and works his butt off)
Clark is 100%
Nylander looks OK but still holding the puck too long
Flyers were flat (or were the Caps that strong?)
Hartnell is a bush leaguer and Donald needs to teach him a lesson in February

Anyone know what the deal with Semin was tonight? I thought this was a dress rehearsal?

Posted by: HockeyBob | October 3, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW all those who were crying about Eminger last couple of days and that the Caps would regret that trade? Two things, Carlson is the real deal and Eminger was a
-4 tonight

Posted by: kiltman | October 3, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Not that we will do it - but Fedorov is better on D than Erskine and Jurcina. Doesn't hit hard but angles guys out and has tremendous (no surprise) vision and patience with the puck. You can almost see him weighing his options before he does anything. Very impressive game I thought and wouldn't mind seeing it more. Overall a great game by the Caps - anyone else think it is scary how balanced this team is at forward? Every line was solid and buzzing Philly...

Posted by: Roose | October 4, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I believe BB is putting Feds on defense now so he can have a little practice so when the Caps are down a goal with say 4 or 5 minutes left in a game, he can put him out on defense when they need a goal. Imagine this: Green, Feds on D wiht OV, Semin and Backs up front.

Posted by: Rich C | October 5, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse