Tonight's matchup: Caps at Panthers

(Ovie-centric roundup is here.) Looking ahead to tonight's game:

Washington Capitals (46-14-9)
Florida Panthers (28-29-10)
BankAtlantic Center, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: 1500 AM

*Caps-Cats preview (Mike Vogel, Caps Blog, Storming the Crease, Peerless, Japers' Rink)

*Nathan Horton's return could give the flailing Panthers a boost. (Sun Sentinel)

A few other odds and ends:

*Nobody even saw Ovie's hit. (Puck the Media)

*Best Caps team ever? (Examiner)

*Why every Caps fan should care about Bryan Helmer. (Rock the Red)

*Post story on arthroscopic surgery starring Olie Kolzig.

*Hooray!!!! for DirecTV and Versus. (Ted's Take)

More to come from Tarik and Steinz at the morning skate.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 16, 2010; 11:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varying reactions to Alex Ovechkin suspension
Next: Theodore set to start vs. Panthers

Comments

Rarely carry a post from a previous thread- but because I'm genuinely interested to know the answer (if it's out there):

Per Bob McKenzie yesterday:
"Chicago's Nick Boynton on re-entry waivers, to replace Brian Campbell, is the only waiver wire activity today."

This seems to imply that he had to clear re-entry waivers- which I though didn't apply after the trade deadline. Why did I think you could re-call all you wanted (or at least for an injury call up)?

Anyone have insight on this? I have a feeling I'm off a bit.

Posted by: Fro_ | March 16, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I thought you said no more Ovie links?

Posted by: JD09 | March 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Here's Babcock's quote (my bad I wrote Bowman before tho' I was thinking of Babs):

“I didn’t comment on the Cooke play when it happened, and so now, here we are. Now you ask me about Ovechkin and to me the other one (Cooke’s) was way more severe. Now I haven’t seen all the replay angles, but it’s a stronger guy (Ovechkin) pushing another guy and the accident happens. It’s very unfortunate that it happened, but to me, I didn’t think it was — aw, I don’t know. I’m not in charge."

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh and GO CAPS

Must-stay-of-laptop-today. Must-get-work-done!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 16, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Lets look ahead!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 16, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

GREAT article on Helmer!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 16, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

On the topic of re-entry waivers (from the CBA):

Any other player on a 1-way contract would be subject to recall waivers. Meaning that a player who was in the minors on a 1-way contract would have to clear re-entry waivers to return to their current teams.

The recall waiver status of a player does not change during the season – so players currently exempt from recall waivers remain exempt for the entire season, and players who are subject to recall waivers remain subject for the entire season.

Nick Boynton was signed to a 2-way deal with Anaheim, and was waiver eligible. Even though he was traded to CHI on 3/2, his waiver status remains the same.

I hope this helps. GO CAPS!

Posted by: netminder71 | March 16, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

What i find ironic is that all the figure skating fans out there who supposedly are Caps fans & are used to skaters being flung around apparently are horrified at a skater being pushed - not checked - 11 feet.

I guess they don't think the uni's are flamboyant enough & the organ music not classically danceable to.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 16, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Just saw on ESPN that Steve Downie was fined but not suspended for slew footing Sidney Crosby.

Good job Campbell, way to make people think you don't have a bias against Ovie. That is just ridiculous. I don't really have a problem with the Ovie suspension, but then they go and let Downie off for a far more dirty play.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | March 16, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

@CAPSHOCKEY2
Seriously!!! That is such BS! Can he at least make an attempt to hide his bias a little...it is insulting to Caps fans intelligence...now I will wait for a Pens fan to make a mocking comment about how Caps fans have no intelligence!

Posted by: capscoach | March 16, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Read This!

I've heard nobody mention this but why didn't Cooke get a penalty for charging and then suspended? Didn't Campbell say what Cooke did was legal? Read the rule below and see if you think it applies.

43.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

Posted by: puckman | March 16, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The whole "Cooke didn't break a rule thing" is ludicrous b/c there is a rule called INTENT TO INJURE!!!!!! If that wasn't intent to injure then Cindy Crysby is really a man (and we all know what a stretch that is)!

Posted by: capscoach | March 16, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Ovie's suspension is complete BS. That being said, having him rest 2 games (+ most of the last game) may not be such a bad thing. We should be able to win the next games even without him...

Here's an interesting topic someone I was talking to brought up:

Ovie is the best player in the world, no question. However, a strong argument could be made that Backstrom is actually more valuable to the Caps. He plays great on PK; He is a terrific defensive forward and he runs the offense...

It's an interesting discussion. Bottom line though is we are really lucky to have both.

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 16, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Here's an interesting topic someone I was talking to brought up:

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 16, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Puckman, Cooke had both skates on the ice heading East/West gliding not striding. Not charging imo.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 16, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Charging can also be deemed (at referee discretion) as the direction of the on-coming player relevant to the flow of play.

In my humble hockey opinion, Marc Savard was traveling North/South, Matt Cooke came in an East/West direction and "took a line" to Savard. That directionality, in essence IS a charge.

The front referee never saw it, the back referee only saw it peripherally. Neither was in any manner to make a good judgement of intent to injure or major penalty. That is the refs fault.

Cooke is just an a$$h*le that got away with murder. Ovie is under a microscope for everything because he is Ovie...we have to know he is going to get more praise, more criticism, and more press regardless of good or bad actions.

Downie is also a goon...but not sure what the logic behind just a fine was for that apparent attempt to break Crysby's leg.

Bottom line is, the NHL discipline system is very broken and a new competition committee and new clearly defined rules are a MUST of the league is to win back any credibility.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: netminder71 | March 16, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@adamkatzen

Nicky has certainly come out of Ovi's shadow this season but IMO it's the combination of the two that makes them the most powerful pairings in the league, including the West. Add in Knubes abilities around the net and the top line during the streak was all powerful. (I think they still need to recapture that magic but we will have to wait until TB unfortunately).

I would be thrilled if Nicky could just keep adding on goals and assists to challenge for the points total. He is a bear when he has the puck. His OT goal in that stupid Hawks game is my favorite Caps play of the season thus far. Putting it in the net through Seabrook's legs was golden for me.

Gah--MUST-GET-OFF-LAPTOP!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 16, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Nicky needs a contract extension...pronto! 5yrs, $6.55M per...? Not out of reach...he deserves it.

Posted by: netminder71 | March 16, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Re: waivers
IIRC emergency recalls aren't subject to waivers, but there's a limit to how many games a player can play. Also, again from memory, players claimed after the deadline aren't eligible for postseason rosters so there's little risk of losing a guy.

Posted by: koalatek | March 16, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

who's dressing instead of Ovechkin tonight? Anyone got a line on the lineups ? That freaking defense of ours gives me heartburn

bummer on the suspension btw. Completely undeserved but I also don't feel that our GM is doing enough politicking out there such as guys like Holmgren and Brian Burke who are always in the league's ear. That seems to do the trick. McPhee's just a good lil soldier.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 16, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope we get Nicky for a good 5-7 yrs! I think he wants a long-term contract and you usualy get a little less money with those, so I am thinking about 6mil per/yr. We can not afford to lose him...esp. since keeping Semin long term does not look promising! And Backie as a center is more valuable than Semin (not that I hate semin or anything)

Posted by: capscoach | March 16, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Nicky's value isn't really raising each day until he signs. His number is going to be in the 6-7 range, either way. Probably more on the 7 side.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 16, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

poti / oh no corvo
shamo / carlson

varly (likely)

laing, walker, ovie sitting
sloan, erskine sitting
theo resting

jurcina out w/ double hernia

Posted by: netminder71 | March 16, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

that's wrong...according to the new post.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 16, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse