Michal Neuvirth to start against Leafs and other morning skate notes

In what shouldn't come as a surprise at this point, Michal Neuvirth was the first goaltender off the ice this morning and appears ready to make his 11th start of the season tonight against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Meanwhile, Semyon Varlamov (groin) skated with strength and conditioning coach Mark Nemish before the rest of the group took the ice for the formal morning skate.

Other notes from today's skate at KCI:
--Tyler Sloan (hip) said he won't play tonight but is hoping to return for Friday's game against the Bruins. Coach Bruce Boudreau said Tom Poti (lower body) is not ready to make his way back in the lineup against the Leafs, either. That all would indicate that Brian Fahey is going to play in his third NHL game, and first at Verizon Center, tonight.

--When asked whether Eric Fehr would play against Toronto after being a healthy scratch in Calgary, Boudreau said: "He might. We'll see." No other skaters except for Marcus Johansson, who is still out with a hip injury, took part in extra work or a traditional scratches skate. So it looks like we'll have to wait for warmups on this one.

--Johansson (hip) is still out on the ice with the assistant coaches, taking part in extra practice as I write this post. He's no longer wearing the gold no-contact jersey and seems to be weathering the long skate well.

By Katie Carrera  | November 3, 2010; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  Brian Fahey, Bruce Boudreau, Eric Fehr, Injuries, Tom Poti, Toronto Maple Leafs, Tyler Sloan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps recall Brian Fahey
Next: Preparing for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Comments

Yeah, time for MaJo to get back in the lineup!

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 3, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@ Cap-lanta

you watch the last couple of games? You really wanna change that second line now ?

Shout out to Section 115 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | November 3, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@bqts

Um, what last couple of games are you referring to? They were barely ok in Calgary, terrible in Minnesota and mediocre in Carolina. And the line has changed several times with Semin now on the 1st line.

Posted by: jakopz | November 3, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@ jakopz

Given on the Minnesota game and to be fair I think you are being way to harsh on the Carolina game. Barely ok in Calgary ??
Its been a while sence the 2nd line has produced 10 shots and not end with minus +/- numbers.

Posted by: bqts | November 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@jakopz

barely ok in calgary??? Fahey redirected the one goal, we were outplayed for the first 10-15 min only then completely dominated the 2nd and spanked them enough that they just skated around aimlessly in the 3rd...kept them to less than 30 SOG, ignited out PP against a team with a very good PK %...what more did u really want from that game? I am all for a full 60min game, but in reality teams only have a few games a year where they dominate 60 minutes...I will be happy when we consistently start dominating for 80-85% of a game and ocassionally more...b/c that is realistic.

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

and I also agree with bqts that u are being pretty harsh about the Carolina game.

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Am I wishing right now that we picked Eberle instead?

YEP!

Do I agree with this article?

Hell Naw!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 3, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I think Fehr got the message.

PLAY HARD AND SCORE!

...now just play him.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 3, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

dont do the "RED" or "O" thing during the national anthem. First off I find it kind of disrespectful, and the "O" part is and Orioles thing/baseball thing if my history is correct (not to mention I find it kind of disrespectful as well). Not nearly as disrepectful as the jackholes that decide to use the anthem song to heckle and/or shout crap (typical Rags and Philthy fans etiquette ), but a little disrespectful all the same.

Posted by SAOTI

I could not agree with you more! I'm a veteran and stand at parade rest throughout the anthem and find it completely disgraceful that people shout things during the nations anthem! My children always ask me why people do that and I simply reply that they must not respect their country and the men and women who have died for it. I also tell them I better never catch them even speaking during the anthem less more yelling obnoxious chants. Wish more people felt the way you do, thanks for the post!

Posted by: PhilR | November 3, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

what really happened to varly? did he reinjure his groin AGAIN after he just came back for 1 game or did he come back a little premature and is just still taken time off to heal completely from his first injury from preseason?? I really hope this time he figures it out and plays a better way that is not so prone to being injured.take a few pages from neuvy on positioning and poise. I'm reaaly pulling for varly to do good but if he goes out again this year (which he probably will)I think his time is done and try to trade him while there might be a lil value left in him.or not redo his contract for the future.Its just sad cause he coulda been great.Im prayn for ya varly!! GO CAPS!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | November 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@ capscoach

I was talking about our 2nd line. The line had 6 SOG and was a +/-0 and won 9/23 face-offs. It wasn't fabulous by any means in Calgary. We should have higher expectations than that. I was at the Carolina game and although they worked hard, they were definitely not clicking offensively. They mustered 5 shots (4 by Laich) and were +/-0. That's not good enough for players of that caliber.

@ bqts

I am curious what you meant by "breaking up" the second line considering its lack of consistency. In Calgary: Fleischmann-Laich-Knuble, in MN: Laich-Perreault-Semin, in Raleigh: Laich-Perreault-Semin

Posted by: jakopz | November 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

its gameday...please don't spend all day arguing about the national anthem

Posted by: _stevo | November 3, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The national anthem issue: I get (and mostly agree) with the idea that O and Red shouting is disrepectful...for me, I am in my 20s and until recently had no clue that the O was originated in the orioles...I thought everyone did it everywhere and was standard! The RED...well I don't think people who do it mean any disrespect so I don't get angry when they do it. I wish they didn't... I also wish that fans would stop doing the who cares chant when the other team scores...I care! and they should too!

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I like how the Blackhawks fans cheer throughout the entire anthem. Bad a$$

Posted by: Fro_2 | November 3, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

PhilR: I'm from Baltimore and I've always hated that "Oh" thing. It might have been started by Wild Bill Hagy and "The Roar From (section 34, back in Memorial Stadium) 34" back in the early 80s. Oldtimers will remember Wild Bill twirling his hat in a huge circle to get the crowd going for his "O-R-I-O-L-E-S" chant.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm on board with Fahey not being the best NHL defenseman but he is considered our 8th option. Someone said he kicked two into our own net. Well, either I am watching an NHL season from a parallel universe or that statement is wrong. Yes, it is true that he had a goal go in off of his skate against Nashville, redirected would be the term I would describe the situation rather than kicked. The second one went in off the shaft of his stick against Calgary. On both plays he was facing the pressure and playing the man like he should. Against Calgary he should have probably stepped up a little more to take away some space but it just shows how hockey is a game of inches. Neuvy had to make a spectacular save on a puck that was directed towards the net off of Carlson's skate. I guess Fahey is the only goat when it comes to that.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 3, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I think all of you who left criticial comments of KC's reporting skills need to send her a much deserved apology.

Posted by: jcreech1 | November 3, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I have been a Caps fan since they were first hatched, and suffered through the rough times, and relish these relatively good times,but....am I the only one who thinks the catch phrase now being used "Building America's Hockey Capital" is a bit pretentious until we actually win the Stanley Cup. What have we done so far (other than winning the President's trophy one year, and annually stomping the weakest division in hockey) that would justify such a notion for Washington, versus one of the storied original American franchaises, i.e. Detroit, Chicago and Boston. It all sounds too sickenly similar to the Dallas Cowboys annointing themselves "America's Team"

Posted by: northvajim2 | November 3, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Not to split hairs with PhilR but, you should stand at attention during the National Anthem. I don't like the "O" thing either (I didn't like it when I was an Orioles season ticket holder (before the baseball strike, yes I'm old).

As for Fahey, I know you get a drop-off with your 8th d-man. It would look so much better with Sloan in Hershey as the 8th call up. Mottau, Mara, Jurcina, A. Johnson and others signed for 1 million or less and have NHL experience. I just have to keep beating this dead horse.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

northvajim2:

Yes,sounds like we've been following the Caps for about the same duration (I changed allegiance from the Flyers when Washington came into the league....family ties to Philly).

You are not alone......"Building America's Hockey Capital" is a little too Dallas-ish for my tastes.

Posted by: prestoj | November 3, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@ PhilR and SAOTI -I agree with both of you. I've never heard such a thing as yelling Oh during the National Anthem until I moved here 16 years ago. I hate that people have to disrespect it.

I also heard that it's disrespectful to even sing the National Anthem, but can't prove it.

Posted by: jwash4472 | November 3, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

1. Caps just need to come up with a 'fight' or whatever song that's played right after the Anthem where folks can get into it with singing, whatever. Have a contest, give away a used Congressman, whatever.

2. Then tell folks before a few games that this isn't the Orioles. Glad they have their O thing but please stop.

3. As for red, just make sure the song in No. 1 has the word Red in it.

Done

I actually heard some folks screaming at another word last year. It's a joke and I hope it stops as well. Just give them a fight song.

Posted by: tslats | November 3, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse