Preparing for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Dion Phaneuf, Toronto Maple LeafsThe Leafs are hungry for a win after captain Dion Phaneuf, above, cut his leg in a loss to Ottawa last night. (Getty Images)

After getting off to a 4-0 start this season, the Leafs have fallen into a 1-5-1 skid heading into their match up against the Capitals at Verizon Center tonight. It's Toronto's first set of back-to-back games this year, and a 3-2 loss to rival Ottawa Tuesday left little to be pleased with.

Not only did they struggle to make the most of their offensive opportunities -- despite outshooting the Senators 35-24 -- but the Leafs were dealt a larger blow as captain Dion Phaneuf left the contest with a cut to his leg after a collision with Ottawa's Peter Regin.

TSN's Darren Dreger reported on Twitter that Toronto GM Brian Burke said Phaneuf will be out at least four weeks.

While this may look like a prime opportunity for the Capitals, who ordinarily would have Phaneuf opposing their top line and power-play unit, Coach Bruce Boudreau stressed that the Leafs' hunger to break out of their slump and make up for the absence of their captain may even things out.

"The way I look at it is if Phaneuf's not in the lineup, you always dig deeper when your better players aren't there, for the fear of losing is a great motivator," Boudreau said. "They scored a couple goals in the third period [against Ottawa], so they're not going to be holding their sticks as tight. They're going to come in here loose, thinking they've got nothing to lose."

Some other notes to get you ready for the Caps' game against the Leafs tonight:

--Toronto is just 6 for 47 on the power play this season, and that only compounds recent goal-scoring troubles. The Leafs have tallied just two goals in the past three games, and went without a goal for 167 minutes and 39 seconds before posting two late markers against Ottawa Tuesday.

--The Capitals are fourth in the league in goals against per game with a 2.27 average, and they've allowed two or fewer goals in seven contests so far. Here's what Boudreau had to say about whether Washington has turned over a new defensive leaf:

"So far it's only 11 games, but they've taken a lot of pride in that. The Calgary game, if this was last year, might have wound up 9-5 and we'd have just kept going, but they were really insistent on not allowing more goals. I think that's something [that] we took enough criticism where guys are tired of hearing it and they've sort of bought into it a little bit."

--The quote of the morning came from Boudreau in response to Brooks Laich's comment that the line of Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Semin -- which looks to be intact at least for the start of tonight's game -- is the best in the world:

"They haven't played [together] enough because after about four games they drive me nuts and I break them up again. But if they can keep it going and play on a consistent basis together, then yeah, they'd be as good as most lines in the league."

By Katie Carrera  | November 3, 2010; 12:32 PM ET
Categories:  Toronto Maple Leafs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michal Neuvirth to start against Leafs and other morning skate notes
Next: Tonight's lineup: Leafs at Caps

Comments

I really don't think Toronto comes in hungry this evening. It is the second of a back to back, they lost to their biggest rival last night, and their Captain is out at least a month. To me that spells a whole lot to be down and out about. Now I do believe that they will attempt to goon things up more than usual to try and get themselves up but that will only lead to PP chances and less pressure on our very depleted defensive corp.

Posted by: PhilR | November 3, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I have got to disagree with Katie, I think this has got to be the quote of the day. Damn good to hear this!

Posted by: PhilR | November 3, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm on board with Fahey not being the best NHL defenseman but he is considered our 8th option. Someone said he kicked two into our own net. Well, either I am watching an NHL season from a parallel universe or that statement is wrong. Yes, it is true that he had a goal go in off of his skate against Nashville, redirected would be the term I would use to describe the situation rather than kicked. The second one went in off the shaft of his stick against Calgary. On both plays he was facing the pressure and playing the man like he should. Against Calgary he should have probably stepped up a little more to take away some space but it just shows how hockey is a game of inches. Neuvy had to make a spectacular save on a puck that was directed towards the net off of Carlson's skate. I guess Fahey is the only goat when it comes to that.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 3, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I wasted an evening at jobing.com arena on Saturday night watching the Coyotes vs Tampa. That was probably the most boring NHL game I've been to since the lockout. I wish people that complain the Caps don't throw the body around could have watched that one. Tampa looked pretty good but Phoenix played terrible. They did just return from a East Canada road trip but, man, they looked bad. As for Belanger, he was practically invisible.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 3, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

4 weeks for a cut on the leg? Wonder how deep and if he did any tendon/ligament damage. Must have been a nice collision.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Leafs may not come in hungry, but how many times over the last 3 seasons have we seen a slumping team that is struggling to score come limping into VC only to see the Caps play down to their level and get less than 2pts? The Caps can take this one comfortable, IF they come to play.

Posted by: ds_kelly | November 3, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think it's good that Boudreau is always prepared for a fight from the other team. unfortunately, that needs to translate to the players.

We should dominate tonight. Look for Neuvirth to let in 2 or fewer (likely fewer). I expect a fight or two, and a 3-or-4 to 1 caps win.

Posted by: j762 | November 3, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@ds_kelly

Almost every home loss last season was to a sub-par team. Was sad.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wilson is a prepared coach. The Leafs will play a system, esp. w/o Phanuef, built to slow down the Caps. Here's hoping that the Caps have bought into a more defensive and patient game to win one's like these. Let other teams get frustrated and sloppy against the Caps for a change.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 3, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The Caps pulled 66 out of a possible 82 points on home ice last year and their ability to beat teams at home is being questioned. Come on fans, what the heck?

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 3, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I think when teams lose a star player for a significant period of time the rest of the players do seem to pick it up for the first few games after the injury. Then the decrease in talent sets in and the team with the injured star starts to play down.

So I actually expect Toronto to play pretty decent tonight. However, if the Caps can get 1 or 2 in the first period I could see Toronto imploding.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 3, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

You are missing the point I think sir. We are saying, hope we dont take the Leafs lightly due to their recent struggles and losses (games and player). We also were comparing that to our outstanding home record last year, stating that most of the losses coming at home were almost identical to tonights scenario. I dont think anyone was questioning our ability to beat people at home.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Toronto is going to come out and play us well. Without Phaneuf they change a little bit, but they have guys to fill in. I expec them to play us exactly how Atlanta has played us so far this year. They will be physical, take the body, and really pressure us on the forecheck. And I also have no doubt that our guys will be ready after not playing since Saturday.

Posted by: ThePat | November 3, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I miss this board ......... so funny come back and read everyones high hopes for tonight :)

Hey look at it like this we are not playing the lions tonight ......... sorry deadskins fans :)

Posted by: bqts | November 3, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Toronto's fan base really does not care for their new Captain. According to ESPN Burke had to hold an "impromptu press conference during the first intermission" of Saturday nights game against the Rangers to scold fans for booing Phaneuf every time he touched the puck.

There is one comment on that story and it simply says "The guy is a bum."

I know Toronto fans expect the world but has Phaneuf really been that bad? I have only seen two Leafs games at the very beginning of the season and he looked pretty good to me.

Posted by: PhilR | November 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Caps will win tonight, I just got the best news of the past couple weeks. The worthless secretary at my job is taking a job elsewhere. We are finally rid of her. Hmm, I should probably buy a lottery ticket tonight as well.

Caps win 4-0.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I love Neuvirth, but I also don't want to wear the kid out. He's currently 7th in the league in minutes among goalies - and third among goalies who have started 10 games.

He's first in rookie goalie minutes, too. Only Bobrovsky is close, and he's a full four periods behind Neuvirth.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 3, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

regarding the article below mentioned in a previous thread:

ummm, homerish at it's finest!

So a 22 year old goalie going 7-3, with a 2.15 GAA and a .926 save percentage isn't a great accomplishment compared to Canada's newest addition to the "pay homage to our Canadian players" Jordan Eberle? he had a good month... but a goalie playing in every game as a rookie and putting up those numbers is damn impressive!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I'd read about the Phaneuf injury earlier but am now deciding to rant. So I apologize. When are all NHL players going to start wearing the kevlar socks? It seems like so many are getting injured with these cuts to the legs that could be easily prevented. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ovi wears them. If I'm a GM, id be damn sure that every player on my team had them on. Seeing whats happened to Staal and now phaneuf, you think they'd get the message. Its not even a "macho" issue like weather or not you wear a visor. I just don't get it.

Posted by: chatton | November 3, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else out there think CStanton was suspended by the WP for his intemperate remarks? If he was suspended, I hope they let him back soon. He is missed, even though many of us disagree with him from time to time.

Posted by: zmega | November 3, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@ FrankM73

Greg Wyshynski lives in VA and is a Devils (closet Caps) fan. No Canadian bias. Just a guy with a different opinion.

@ zmega

A poster found cstanton1 on Redskins Insider yesterday. A delegation of SAOTI, tominsocal, and ThePat have been sent to persuade him to come back.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 3, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

cstanton was the most literate of the Dark Siders. A worthy adversary to be sure. Of course, he couldn't handle more than two beers, but we really shouldn't hold that against him.

I will agree with sgm3 though sometimes you got the impression that cstanton watched every hockey game ever broadcast and some that weren't.

Notice that sgm3 is hardly around too. Maybe it just isn't fun for him without the fighting, the way Oscar Madison was miserable in the movie when Felix Unger left.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This is from the earlier post but i just thought it was rediculous so i had to write a lil something.
How do you get that shouting "O" or "RED" during the anthem means you have total disrespect for your country and the fallen that have served for our country.I have been a fan of the orioles and caps for over 30 years and been goin to games as long and have always taken part in the O or RED part.Actually i live in tampa now and go to every caps vs lightning game to support the caps and shout RED even in there building.Its all in good fun and support of your team and country.I love my sports teams and my country so dont tell me i disrespect it cause of that.Some people are too uptight and need to relax.In the words of the joker "why so serious?" your country is not gonna hate u if you shout O or RED during the anthem.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | November 3, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how the WP would prevent posting by an individual, but I suppose such a ban could be CI-specific or it could be broader.

Katie, could you tell us if CStanton has been banned?

Posted by: zmega | November 3, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I see the above note. I will go look for him.

If Katie is reading, we have put out an APB for cstanton1. Perhaps WaPo can let us know if he was restricted at all, in which case there would be no reason to search.

I admit he got ornery at times but his heart was in the right place.

God I miss him!

(OK, it isn't that bad.)

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73:

Puck Daddy is actually based in the DC area, He is a Devils fan so it's not the Canadian Media saying the Neuvy shouldnt have got Rookie of the Month. Just an FYI

Posted by: darrylrbaker | November 3, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

even if cstanton was banned all he need do is get a gmail and a new username. He is very knowledgeable and has interesting insights, but maybe a few more anger management classes so he doesn't go off the deep end again would be advised.

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I posted this:

If any of you encounter cstanton1, please tell him his pals at CI want him to come home.

I don't want to resort to milk cartons, so please help.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 3:16 PM

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't have the time to track down @cstanton. He'll be back I am sure at some point. A group of people wanted him gone so he left. He's still there lurking and reading the posts im sure. Asking someone to leave one time people dont take it seriously but when people on here told him to go to hell basically every 5 minutes, I'd do the same thing he is doing. He can find hockey talk whever he wants to.

Posted by: ThePat | November 3, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

But if he got a new username, how would we know it was him?

Uh, OK, dumb question.

Posted by: zmega | November 3, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Phaneuf gets a lukewarm reception in Toronto at best. He has a long way to go before becoming embraced like other Leafs, like Sundin, CuJo, Tucker, Domi, Gilmour, Clark, etc.

There was a lot of skepticism whether Phaneuf will be worth the contract. also, Toronto was already 'relatively' rich on D and in greater need of scoring.

the bigger story is that Burke has made a few big moves (Kessel for what turned out to be Seguin + next 1st rounder, and acquiring Phaneuf). Burke is steadfast in his defense of these moves and the players, but the fanbase VERY skeptical

Posted by: PSD1 | November 3, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

People don't like what I say and come on and attack my sex and make horrible derogatory remarks yet I am still here...cstanton is a big boy and he can take it. I personally don't miss his attitude...I do miss his remarks that challenge my beliefs, but others on here do the same without being a complete a**. Stop begging the guy to come back...u r only feeding his narcisistic tendencies and a seemingly borderline personality.

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

was he wrong in saying what he said to you sure. we have all ben wrong on here in how we handle things. And I think you calling him a narcissist is wrong and out of line. The problem on here is 70% of the people on here are the biggest hypocrites in the world. They feel by sitting behind a computer they can talk trash but when people talk trash to them they call them out on it. It is a message board and like i said a month ago, everyone needs to relax and get over themselves. Then this board would be much easier to read.

Posted by: ThePat | November 3, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@ tominsocal1

Good job! If that doesn't work, we will have to send the milk cartons over to Redskins Insider.

@ capscoach

I read the blog that night. Didn't you question cstanton1's family life? How is that any different from what he said?

Posted by: ablake70 | November 3, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

If CStanton were to return, I think he should apologize to capscoach and whoever it was that he threatened to kill. I don't know the guy personally, but he seems like a fundamentally rational person who had a few bad days, and he crossed the line.

Posted by: zmega | November 3, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

As someone involved in one "internet confrontation" with cstant, I just want to correct one misperception:

No one asked cstant to leave. It was a straw-man fully-stuffed and then propped up by himself. People responded - one way or another - when he did so, but the original martyr-complex-inspired sob-story was his own.

And of course he's still here, lurking.

I'd love to have him back. I don't care for his rage/conflict issues nor the way he treated capscoach, but it's the internet: he can be a jerk and I can tell him to go to hell for being one until the cows come home/Caps win the Cup. Ready Room rules.

My two+ cents.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 3, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I agree, especially with the "chillaxing". Not to mention, I felt what he said might have been a little inappropriate and not my style...but it got blown way out of proportion in my eyes and wasnt nearly as bad as some make it out to be nor compared to some of the things that have been tossed around.

@capscoach
We aren't begging him to come back, fueling his ego...we are asking a fellow commenter to let bygones be bygones, and bring back his typically opposing view with insight. It's not fun to just post and have everyone post "I agree with Mr. X". He brings a standpoint and hockey knowledge that leads to good debate and can enlighten the blinded or educate the less hockey savvy.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Well said

@zmega

He didn't threaten to kill anyone. capscoach and another poster were angry because cstanton1 dared to disagree with them. They criticized his home life, so cstanton1 told capscoach to "put on some makeup and get some" and she was offended. IMO, they were both wrong and should both apologize.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"have always taken part in the O or RED part... Its all in good fun and support of your team and country.I love my sports teams and my country so dont tell me i disrespect it cause of that.Some people are too uptight and need to relax.... your country is not gonna hate u if you shout O or RED during the anthem.GO CAPS!!!"
Posted by: gratefuldid | November 3, 2010 3:10 PM

Apparently you were never taught any respect for your country as a child. Obviously a product of the public school system. Anybody who would scream during the singing of the National Anthem would also yell out during a church service or belch loudly during a funeral. Exactly the same thing. Just knowing that it offends a large majority of the fans in attendance should be enough to persuade you to control yourself. Just grow up, please.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | November 3, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, threatening to kill is a little different than me asking capscoach how much Kool Aid she's had.

Really, nothing here should be taken seriously, although one poster this morning (correctly I might add) called someone out for using a derogatory remark due to sexual orientation. That and racist remarks are way, way over the line.

If we act like adults and limit it to Kool-Aider and Dark Sider that shouldn't get anyone bent out of shape :)

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I miss Cheef. I had fun giving him words to use other than "pathetic" when he was attacking my comments.

Everybody has an opinion, no big deal if it's not the same as mine, I could care less.

Cstanton stays away or he comes back, his call. He knows his hockey, I'll give him that.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 3, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@Wiley_One1

so i guess with that logic...you don't like when Leafs fans sing along with their anthem and especially when the cheer and yell during the anthem in Chicago

Posted by: _stevo | November 3, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@ablake and thepat

the difference is...when I get out of line I back off and apologize...a few days ago seminallovetheice took something I said badly and what did I do...I apologized. We all get hot headed on here from time to time, but cstanton took it to an entirely differnt degree...I don't THINK i mentioned his family(don't have the transcript)...he was in a more heated argument with someone else that night and I think for whatever reason I got the worst of it. But look at u...u sit and defend him, but since u don't "like/respect" me or my posts I get reprimanded for what I said...When I am told to shut up, get guzzied up and get some...and I respond by calling him a narcisist...well that is a fair/toned down response...he didn't respect my opinion (thats fine) but he couldn't handle me not agreeing with him and giving in. I am not a hockey expert but I know a bit and should be allowed say what I want...and lets not pretend that was his first time getting real nasty.

I have liked CI with him gone, people have disagreed with eachother like always but have discussed it without nastiness or common insults. I have learned more about the different philosophies and beliefs and the worst words of late have been hater and koolaid drinker. If that is boring to you...well I come on here for heated discussion not whatever we were all doing before.

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Puckguru was also entertaining in a recently stopped taking his meds kind of way. Wonder where he's hiding?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 3, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I dont know where you come up with me not liking your posts for the reason I am defending him. And if you read what I said, I said what he said to you was wrong. I just think people need to relax, talk hockey. If people personally get attacked, to me its no big deal its a message board. People can call me all the names they want, Ive been called them before not on a message board. In my years on this earth I have learned to ignore peoples words like that rather than take things seriously. Just my opinion. I took your narcissist comment to point out you are doing the same thing he did, that was all. To me the whole thing is stupid, and its not even the reason cstanton isnt on here anymore.

Posted by: ThePat | November 3, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@ablake

I think (not 100% sure) that it was the other poster and not me that commented on his home life. If I did and he came on here I would of course apologize. My issue with cstanton is not what he says (minus sexist comments)but how he says them. He knows a lot more about hockey than I do, and quite frankly I learned a lot from him...but as my students would say...he started it! ok just kidding. I hope he comes back at some point, but I hope the online screaming matches are left to the past.

And I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with people dissagreeing with me...and I think if you look at my post history you would realize that MOST all of the time I respond in a tone that is condusive to discussion.

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Wiley One: I am a public school product and would never talk during the Anthem. See, you condemned an entire group due to the actions of one.

I was on vacation I think during the cstanton/capscoach incident so missed all that. I think they should kiss and make up! They might enjoy it!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

For the record...telling someone to "get some" isnt really sexist. It comes from the latin gettumusnakedus and it is a unisex verb. You can say that to male/female/other and it means the same to all sexes. It's basically calling someone uptight and good way to relax a bit is to...well, get some. :P

I may have just attributed to some of the younger posters on here receiving a slightly lower verbal score when they take their SATs, for that I apologize.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@thepat

but I didn't kick him off, report him, or say I cared if he came back...I do think it is kinda funny that people are begging the guy to come back...but thats just me and by all means just ignore that personal opinion post. the narcisit comment, well I don't think that is really bad, but I guess i should be careful what I say if I am sitting here being offended by sexist remarks...at least I was offended...wounds heal quicky

cstanton...come back...lets be friends (or friendly aquaintences)call me a koolid drinker and I can call u a hater and the earth can spin on its axis once again!

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@ablake,

Sorry, bud, your memory fails you. You're just flat wrong about what went down that night, and a record exists.

That said, we should all let it go, including me.

But we wouldn't be having this discussion if cstant hadn't made himself conspicuous by his absence, an absence due only to himself, no one else.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 3, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@seminallovertheice

good point...but lets not make fun of peoples' SAT scores...thats mean!

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I apologize. It was stevie_in_gp who started the bickering by calling cstanton1 a prick.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 3, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Now you're remembering correctly, ablake!

I did indeed. And while I have apologized for my language, I have not and do not apologize for my attempt to get us to disagree without being cstant-level disagreeable.

But that's just my take. If others aren't bothered by it, again, it's the interwebs. We all get to massage the discourse via whatever means available.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 3, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Lets all just send a big online hug to each other and exhale! now doesn't that feel better...now about Toronto

This is very random, but is anyone worried about Nuevy getting fatigued? I realize he had lik 3 days off, but I am thinking mental as well as physical...this is a lot of pressure for him...esp. considering he and eveybody thought he would have to compete against Varly. He is playing great and not showing any signs that the pressure is getting to him, but I feel like BB is planning on playing the guy until he cracks...why not let Holtby or Danny get a start. BB has a tendancy to just ride goalies but bench them once they have a bad game...I would rather try the lets get u back in the saddle technique.

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"but lets not make fun of peoples' SAT scores...thats mean! " - capscoach

Uhhhh What? How? Huh? owwwwww there's the brain pain...there's the brain pain....

1 hour til happy hour OH YEAH

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@semin

now why act like that? it was a joke first off... thought ur post was funny b/c if I said that to half my students they would probaby believe me. I think I need a drink 2!

Posted by: capscoach | November 3, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

neuvy did crack
against boston

he was in TERRIBLE position for their 2nd goal

Posted by: cotelloer | November 3, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I always find it hilarious when people make such conclusions off of such minor actions.

I do not, but some people like to cheer/sign during the National Anthem. That in no way means that they hate America or people who serve in the military. Comments like that are laughable.

People can celebrate things and pay respect to things in different ways. To one person the proper way to pay respect might be to stand quietly. Absolutely fine. To another, the proper way is to sing proudly. Also fine. To each their own.

It is okay to be annoyed at people singing or yelling during the anthem and it is okay to say that you prefer people to not act in that way.

But it, in no way, draws any conclusion on that persons feelings towards this country and the people who serve in the military.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 3, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll essentially second that, sgm.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 3, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

sgm,

I saw stats that showed 98% of people who yell "red" during the anthem are members of the communist party. The remaining 2% are socialists.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 3, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

My original statement merely stated that I dont preach doing it, because I find it slightly disrespectful. I said nothing more about it or those who do do it (HA, I said doodoo). And yes I know you arent singling me out, but since I more or less started this fire...I felt obligated to state how it actually sparked. HAZAA

HAPPY HOUR IS UPON US...DRINK UP ME HEARTIES YOHO.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

What about the people who yell "Oh!"? What are they? Scotsmen?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

ROFL nice one Steve_R.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Catching the Leafs at the right time, they seem to be in a freefall. Phanuef is a big body, OV should have room tonight.

Incidentally, Beauchemin might be a player that gets moved this year.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 3, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

Maybe they just really really enjoy and huge fans of Oprah's magazine?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how long its going to take tonight to see DJ and Colton Orr go at it...

Posted by: outrbnksm | November 3, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

can the caps loan either sloan or fahey to the leafs until phaneuf comes back? that would make a lot of people in here happy.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 3, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Ok all you Dark Siders, Kool-Aiders, and Middle of the Roaders (btw, we need something more catchy than this for the middle of the roaders..Hobbits perhaps, get it?? Middle earth...wow Im a tool) I am off to the bars. Rocking the red and struting the Semin jersey tonight.

430 representin' Seacrest OUT.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 3, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@ stevie_in_gp

I learned to use the archives!

@ Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Caps also have a spare LW/C for New Jersey.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 3, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Caps also have a spare LW/C for New Jersey.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 3, 2010 5:16 PM

well - a left wing anyway

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 3, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

How bout the goat blood drinking Kool-aiders or the Kool-aid drinking goat blooders??? KADGB, hmmm, sounds like a Soviet era agency that would send miscreants to Siberian work camps, or just KGB'ers (Kool-aidin Goat Blooders)? Actually I like that, I am now the self-appointed Premier of the KGB. Like MIA says, "Don't mess with me, cuz I got more names than the KGB" -- you know u love it.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 3, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

K

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 3, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

G

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 3, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

B

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 3, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Koolaid Goat Blooders = middle of the roaders

JIMALLCAPS is the primier of the Politboro, don't mess with me or you'll be digging up potatoes from the Siberian premafrost faster than u can say Babushka

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 3, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I say BB play Holtby tonight. Home game, Phanuef out, coming off big win, Nuevy runnin' ragged. Didn't BB mention Holtby getting some time on the road trip? What happened there?
Give Holtby the NHL experience at this situation rather then later when points are even more at a premium.

Posted by: RodLangwayFan | November 3, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

How bout Dark Siders, Fence Sitters and Kool-Aid drinkers?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | November 3, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me you're joking....have you ever seen the national anthem in Chicago arena?? Fans clap, cheer, and scream to an incredible crescendo and I get chills just watching it. My veteran friends have no problem yelling "O" and "red" so what gives? Maybe because I'm a product of public schools, unlike yourself, I'm unable to get it

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 3, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Also, if it really offended a "large majority" of fans then who's doing all the yelling? Obviously, a large majority of fans. What I find offensive is that the Caps, unlike most other teams, don't telecast the national anthem....I'd love to yell "o" and "red" in the comfort of my living room :)

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 3, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

PTI- Just noticed a few comments and figured I'd drop in to say that I checked and cstanton has not been banned.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | November 3, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

The Raptors, Leafs, Habs etc., regularly face the booing of the Canadian National Anthem, we just think it's typical American manners. I noted that a few years ago when our Anthem was booed in Long Island causing your Anthem to be booed a few days later in Montreal, the then Governor of New York got all uptight and patriotic. The next American team to show up was saved the same insult when Jean Beliveau (or God as I refer to him)addressed the crowd in both languages and asked the Montreal fans to remain silent and not jeer the US Anthem. Anybody else might have been ignored. BTW I've been in Chicago when the Anthems have been played and how ours was received only cemented my opinion of US courtesy to-wards foreigners.

Posted by: sjag1 | November 3, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay: Thanks for that info. We'll go then and put his handle on milk cartons and maybe he'll be found.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 3, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiley_One1

This from a guy who says political comments don't belong on hockey blogs. What a tool. Albeit a patriotic one, but, alas, a tool. Why not take your insecurities elsewhere?

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | November 3, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse