Posted at 1:19 PM ET, 02/17/2011

Breaking down the Caps' trade possibilities at second-line center

By Katie Carrera

To go along with the story on the Capitals' need for a second-line center, below is another look at the players who could be possibilities.

(Keep in mind that it is difficult to know precisely which players General Manager George McPhee might target for a number of reasons, including whether he believes any of Washington's young centers or prospects might be ready for primetime in the coming years, or what the return cost of any of these players might be.)

Jason ArnottJason Arnott, 36, New Jersey
Stats: 56 GP, 13 G, 11 A, 24 P, minus-9
Contract: In final year of a deal with a $4.5 million cap hit this season and will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Arnott is a proven two-way center with 17 years and 1,155 NHL games of experience to his credit, along with several lengthy playoff runs and a Stanley Cup ring. The addition of veteran savvy and possibly some more leadership, not unlike that provided by Sergei Fedorov in years past, could be quite a valuable commodity.

Arnott has a no-movement clause in his current contract, though, so it is ultimately up to the veteran center to decide if he wants to leave the Devils. Should he be willing to waive it, it's likely New Jersey would like the chance to restock with draft picks and young players.

General Manager Lou Lamoriello "never approached me and asked me" to waive the no-trade clause, Arnott told The Record. "I think we both knew the time would probably come if we didn't start winning. That was my goal. I want to play in the playoffs. I don't have many years left, so I want to try to win another Stanley Cup."

Tim ConnollyTim Connolly, 29, Buffalo
Stats: 41 GP, 8 G, 17 A, 25 P, minus-10
Contract: In final year of a deal with a $4.5 million cap hit and will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The Sabres are only two points out of eighth place in the Eastern Conference. How much they're willing deal likely depends on how well they do before the Feb. 28 deadline and if they believe they will reach the postseason.

That said, there is new ownership in place in Buffalo and it's not beyond the realm of possibility to think they might want to try to get something for Connolly, who has been up and down during his time with the Sabres. But when not bothered by injuries, like a groin problem earlier this season, he can be a dependable playmaker.

OTHER POSSIBILITIES
When opening up to consider players who won't be rentals by virtue of an expiring contract at the end of this season, the picture gets murkier. But based on which teams likely won't make the playoffs, there are some that could be sellers. This is by no means an exhaustive list:

Stephen WeissStephen Weiss, 27 , Florida
Stats: 55 GP, 15 G, 22 A, 37 P, minus-7
Contract: Signed through 2012-13 with a cap hit of $3.1 million per season.

The Panthers are trying to rebuild back to relevancy once again, and on Feb. 5 General Manager Dale Tallon told NHL.com he would at least listen to any offers: ""Yeah, why not?" Tallon said. "This team hasn't done anything in 10 years, so why wouldn't I? It's not like we're a championship team. We've got to get better in every area."

Weiss is a considerable asset for the Panthers, who drafted him in 2001, but Tallon has already sent another player viewed as a building block away when he traded goaltending prospect Andrew Salak with Michael Frolik to Chicago for three players that include a former first-round pick and a prospect. Another wrinkle, though, is that Weiss has a no-move clause that kicked in this season, so he would have to approve of a trade.

Derick BrassardDerick Brassard, 23, Columbus
Stats: 57 GP, 14 G, 25 A, 39 P, minus-1
Contract: Signed through 2013-14 with a cap hit of $3.2 million per season.

The young centerman has already set new career best marks for points and goals this season but much like Antoine Vermette, who is listed below, any possible move here would likely be predicated on the Blue Jackets' success leading up to the trade deadline and the return cost. According to the Columbus Dispatch, the Blue Jackets are in need of mobile defensemen.

All that said, Brassard took a slap shot to the left hand in last night's loss to the Kings. Tom Reed of the Dispatch reports that Brassard said he's been told he'll miss "a couple weeks."

Antoine VermetteAntoine Vermette, 28, Columbus
Stats: 57 GP, 13 G, 18 A, 31 P, plus-2
Contract: Signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $3.75 million per season.

Dubbed the center of the future to play alongside Blue Jackets star Rick Nash when he was acquired at the 2009 trade deadline, Vermette has underwhelmed in Columbus this year and Brassard has spent quite a bit of time on the top line with Nash. That said, the price tag for Vermette would likely be high as it would be with Brassard.

By Katie Carrera  | February 17, 2011; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Trade deadline
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Line change: Can the Caps put it all together?
Next: George McPhee to speak at sports industry conference

Comments

According to Tim Leone on today's Penn Live Blog it seems like Bears fans can't wait for the Dmitri Orlov era to begin:

French said he didn't have an update on if/when Washington Capitals prospect Dmitri Orlov, playing in the KHL, might join the Bears.

“I haven’t heard anything directly," French said. "I’ve heard the same things, read the same articles and blogs and stuff that he’s planning on coming over. I haven’t received anything official about that.”

Posted by: dull | February 17, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

tj oshie!!!

Posted by: _stevo | February 17, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

OV-Backs-Hejduk
Semin-Weiss-Fehr
Laich-MaJo-Knuble
Bradley-Steckel-Hendricks

Thoughts?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 17, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll take a wild guess and say GMGM brings back Dainius Zubrus.

Posted by: blushfilms | February 17, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Zubrus, and Bondra will make a comeback for the playoffs....

Thats all we need to secure the Cup....

Posted by: SA-Town | February 17, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@underpants

No Hejduk...

I still wanna see Fehr up on the 1st line...I could definitely go for something like:

OV-Backs-Fehr
Semin-MaJo-Laich
Chimera-Arnott-Knuble
Hendricks-Steckel-Bradley

those bottom 2 lines bring some speed, grit and hitting that would I would hate playing against as a d-man over a series...

I mean, I'd love Richards if the Stars take a nosedive, or Vermette (and maybe throw in Garon...for a little veteran insurance in goal), but I think it comes down to who pairs best with Semin, and that is the question...

Posted by: cotelloer | February 17, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Talk about Brad Richards possibly being dealt is starting to heat up. If he's available the Caps should go for it. They'll have no cap room for the next few years so they may as well take advantage of the ample room they have this year.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 17, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

WEll,
i mean, IF, we got Brad Richards i would assume we were going to the Stanley Cup

Reminds me of the deal the pens made for Hossa (or the Wings made for Hossa, or the Hawks made for Hossa)...

Again, I think it all comes down to trying to find a partner for Semin...

Posted by: cotelloer | February 17, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cotelloer

I thought I read Brad Richards may have a consussion. He is not on the teams road trip. May take him out of the running.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 17, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't think they trade Richards now with the possibility of him having a concussion.

How do the Leafs feel about Bozak?

Brad Boyes? Andy McDonald?

Posted by: digster1013 | February 17, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

How do the Leafs feel about Bozak?

Brad Boyes? Andy McDonald?

Posted by: digster1013 | February 17, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

speaking of concussions...does anyone else think the caps are skirting the league's concussions policies by mischaracterizing green's injury as anything but???

cause i dont, necessarily right now, but definitely think they have with him in the past...

Posted by: cotelloer | February 17, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Worth the risk in my opinion for Richards even with a concussion. He'd probably be better by the playoffs, and he is a known producer. Thinking 1st + MP + Holtby for richards. Although Dallas may not be interested in holtby, they have Jack Campbell (of U.S. Junior fame) and have not given up on Lehtonen yet. Also, the latest espn rumors are linking richards with boston and LA. Somewhat curious what boston would have to give up to get him.

Posted by: chatton | February 17, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Supposedly Kaberle is going to go to Boston for Wheeler and a pick and Mark Stuart is going to be sent to Chicago.

Interesting. A good pickup by Toronto. Boston just got a good amount better though, now that they have more mobility on their D-line.

The deal isn't done, but is supposedly very close.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 17, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Why not bring back Fedorov? He's still playing in Russia 46 GP 7 G 14 A 21 P

Posted by: Oldscool12 | February 17, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Be careful, thats a Boston radio station. Those guy throw out nonsense all the time.

Why I dont belive it is happening. If the Bruins move Wheeler, they do not need to move Stuart to fit in Kaberle. So why weaken your D corps by moving Stuart?? Its faulty logic by the radio guys.

Now I believe Kaberle will be a Bruin. I dont think Wheeler is going to Toronto in that deal. I think prospects go to Toronto and the Bruins move Wheeler somewhere else. Them finding a taker for Wheeler at a fair price is probably why Kaberle hasnt been moved yet.

Then agan Burke could be spreading rumors to drive up the price for Kaberle. Who knows. The only thing I know is those trades together make next to zero sense.

Posted by: ThePat | February 17, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Oldschool - bringing back federov would be require him to go through waivers, just like nabokov and the islanders

Posted by: chatton | February 17, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Yeah, I've seen others shooting down the trade that was reported by the radio station so it probably isn't happening. My bad.

However, I do think that Boston may likely trade away Stuart if they can acquire Kaberle. I think the need to open up some cap room is part of it and they would rather move a D-man who might not be in their top 6 once Kaberle is acquired. You have Chara, Kaberle, Seidenberg, Kampfer, Boychuk, Ference, and McQuaid.

If they have to move salary I could see them wanting to move Stuart rather than a forward.

I'm not saying they should do it or that it will happen, but only that I think it is a possibility.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 17, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Semin has a long lost 2nd cousin in Siberia who wants to play...sign him up...

Posted by: SA-Town | February 17, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

The Bruins have:
Chara
Boychuck
Seidenberg
McQuaid
Kampfer
Ference
and
Stuart

Stuart is certainly the odd man out if Kaberle is heading that way.
Apparently they've been trying move him for quite some time now. Do the Caps need another Scott Hannan?

Posted by: j3rockstar | February 17, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

yeah I agree its possible. And it might well happen. I just dont buy it. If they can have those 8 D with Stuart there, then they are set if anyone gets injured. At least thats how I'd approach it.

Posted by: ThePat | February 17, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Weiss or Vermette would be nice for a second line with Semin. But I don't know if any of these guys really get the Caps over the hump.

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | February 17, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

sgm3 - just beat me to it.

Posted by: j3rockstar | February 17, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"Why not bring back Fedorov? He's still playing in Russia 46 GP 7 G 14 A 21 P"

The funny thing is while he is dirt slow, the Caps need everything else that he would bring to the table.

They need a stabilizing force who has Cup experience and can help on the PP. I don't think another "young guy" helps right now.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 17, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@cotelloer I think it has more to do with swelling of the bruse he has on the side of his head. You saw on 24/7 how a bruse can swell up on a plane ride. Would make sense that he got worse on the way to the West and wasn't ahving issues while we were still at home.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 17, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@ Oldschool

If they had kept him, at least tried to work the money issue out as he wasn't going to get what he wanted as he was starting to slow down, we would not only have a point scoring center but also have a strong leader with cup (3) experience and also a strong defencive mind set too. Not to mention he was one of the best skaters I have ever seen after Igor lariniov. I am a true Feds believer but its too late.

Again I say, he should never have been let go. Shame on GmGm

Posted by: bqts | February 17, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

looks like orlov is heading over to hershey

Posted by: _stevo | February 17, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

tj oshie!!!

Posted by: _stevo | February 17, 2011 1:29 PM

lol... nice pipedream!

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 17, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov? The Caps need a 2C, Fedorov isn't close to a 2C now.

Posted by: chriscaps | February 17, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@ Oldschool

Again I say, he should never have been let go. Shame on GmGm

Posted by: bqts | February 17, 2011 3:00 PM

#1, he was nearly 40 at the time.

#2, by all accounts, they couldn't work out the money issue. That's the key point.

I love Fedorov as much as anybody else and enjoyed his brief stay here during the twilight of his career but as much as I criticize McPhee, I can't fault him an iota for that decision, everything considered.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 17, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Again I say, he should never have been let go. Shame on GmGm

Posted by: bqts | February 17, 2011 3:00 PM

He got an amount in the KHL that just couldn't be matched in the cap age and he needed the money considering his agent had been ripping him off for years.

Hey Jackets can we interest you in a nice Tom Poti? He is really good guys just struggle on our team, look at what Flash did after he got traded. If you get him he will be great for your team.

Anyone think they will buy it?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 17, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Plus, I don't think Fedorov's old body could handle getting run over too many times by a wild, out-of-control Ovechkin. Backstrom's young enough that he can still recover from it. Heh...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 17, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Feds is too far past his prime at this point. I think the obvious choice isn't among those listed above: the caps should go after Mikael Sammuelson. The nucks are desperate for D - we could unload Shultz on them (though I'd rather they take Poti...but who would be stupid enough to do that!). Mikael is signed for 1 more year, and he might make a good mentor for Johansson.

Posted by: dingram3 | February 17, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think they will buy it?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 17, 2011 3:16 PM

lol... it's worth a shot. Throw in a 2nd rd pick going their way.

If it's feasible, I'd accept a sack of rotten potatoes in return. I certainly wouldn't expect a living, breathing professional hockey player and certainly nothing resembling a 2nd line center.

In all seriousness, if there is any way to move that contract, get it done. The problem is, a straight dump type of deal would amount to McPhee indirectly admitting that he made a mistake. That ain't happening.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 17, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts on last night's fire-wagon extravaganza:

Distilled to its simplest elements, the objective of the game of hockey is to have scored more goals than the opposing team when time expires.

Yes, those "not-built-the playoffs" doomsayers will say the goaltending and defense sucked last night. And maybe they're right, too.

But the bottom line is that achieving the objective is ever-so-slightly more important than how the objective is achieved. This is true regardless of whether it's the first pre-season exhibition gam or Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final...or any game in-between.

Repeat: At the end of the game, there really is no right or wrong way to get there, as long as you DO get there. The standings don't differentiate between one-goal regulation loss and a blowout loss, just as they don't differentiate between a 1-0 regulation win and a 7-6 regulation win. And it's no different in the playoffs. Yes, your odds of winning can increase with tough defensive play, but no distinction is made just because four losses were by one goal in OT ("good" defense) and the three wins were blowouts ("bad" defense)...you still lost the series.

Would I rather the Caps had held the Ducks to less than six goals? Sure I would! But the Caps did get seven, and a win is a win.

'nuff said!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 17, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@tmac we don't have a 2nd (Corvo trade). I would gladly do a 1st and Poti for either of the two CBJ centers listed.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 17, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't think many are stupid enough to take Schultz either. Most competent GMs aren't fooled by obscure statistics. Few good teams want a big, extremely slow, extremely underly physical d-man no matter how good he is positionally or with his stick. I don't think that even a team as potentially desperate as VAN would do that. Schultz would get eaten alive in the West.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 17, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 17, 2011 3:27 PM

I was entirely joking and didn't put any real thought into that one but couldn't we offer a future 2nd rd pick if we want to be serious?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 17, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The real question...

Why in God's name did McPhee extend Poti's contract?

Can a Nylander extension be far behind?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 17, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 17, 2011 3:27 PM

That is so wrong, it's beyond worth giving a response.

Not 'nuff said but you clearly don't get it.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 17, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40 I agree you have to learn how to win in both low and high scoring games. Even last year in the "hot goalie" series we had a 6-5 OT game. In the Pens series we had a 5-4 OT win and a 4-3 OTL. Not every game is a 2-1 game in the playoffs. The team that will win the Cup will be able to win both types of games. We now know that the Caps can still win a high scoring game (something I think many doubted 24 hours ago) and are doing better with the low scoring games then we have in the past but that is where we need to work.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 17, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Every single guy on this list is a minus this year.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 17, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The real question...

Why in God's name did McPhee extend Poti's contract?

Can a Nylander extension be far behind?

Posted by: tominsocal1

Quite frankly, we should "Nylander" Poti. Let's see if he can help Hershey.

Philly adds Versteeg, Bruins add Kelly (and probably Kaberle). I would like to see a pre-deadline response from McPhee.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 17, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Ditto ... all those guys are minus.

Feds coming over here would have more impact because of what he does off the ice, than on it. Would love to see him as a consultant to the Caps and motivational speaker for Semin.

However Feds would probably hurl at what the Caps upper echelons are trying to do by playing this defensive system. This is one reason why Feds was unhappy as a Blue Jacket. When he came here, it was a rejuvinating experience. He enjoyed hockey again.

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | February 17, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Kaberle going to Boston.

Toronto always seems to come out on the short end of the stick lately, where trades with Boston are concerned. Taking into consideration that the two teams are bitter, historic division rivals as well, one might guess that Brian Burke would have to be a Milbury-class moron to do any kind of deal with the Bruins again. Ever.

If I was Brian Burke, and Kaberle would only waive his NMC/NTC to go to Boston, I'd "Nylander" that S.O.B. right quick.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 17, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Caps will bring back Jurcina and Zubrus and GMGM will claim that was his plan all along.

Posted by: jake81 | February 17, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

To those who praise Steve Yzerman as being "a better General Manager" (vice GMGM), check this out:

Of particular interest is this passage:

"We're going to run our team and make or not make whatever moves are necessary based on what we have to do, and I can't react to what another club is doing," Yzerman told a few of us Tuesday. "Obviously giving up draft picks and adding a talented, legitimate player, they've deepened their roster and improved their team, but it really doesn't affect what we want to do."

Yzerman was coy when asked what he was specifically looking for.

"You're constantly trying to improve your team," Yzerman said. "If there's something that would make sense to help us this year or even beyond this year, you'd have to consider it."

Gee, if I redacted the name, one could plausibly attribute those quotes to GMGM! Could it be that GMGM isn't the only NHL General Manager who doesn't show all his cards before he sits down at the table?

Waka waka waka

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 17, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@cotelloer

Here is what I posted yesterday about the strange handling of Green's injury....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone else find the handling of Green's injury to be rather suspicious?

First of all, last week they delayed for several days (until Friday, the injury happened on the previous Sunday) in having him take the neurological tests to see if he had a concussion (as if they suspected he might have a low grade concussion, but didnt want to risk missing games by having to abide by the full blown process required to resume activity after a concussion). If you're really concerned about his health, wouldn't you give him the tests ASAP?

And, during one of the broadcasts lasts week, Laughlin used the term "concussion", and then a few minutes later Joe B reiterated that "at no point has the team used the term concussion in reference to Green's injury"... this made me wonder if Ted or GMGM or someone else affiliated with the team was listening to the broadcast and quickly had word sent to the booth that they weren't happy that the "C" word was used.

Now, lo and behold, Green played last weekend, and now he has "inner ear trauma".... which probably means he's having balance issues, which (again)... leads one to suspect that he might have a concussion.

It just all seems pretty fishy to me...

Posted by: chombie13 | February 17, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I would trade a 1st, 3rd MP, and Steckel for Weiss

Posted by: Gould23 | February 17, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Weiss would be nice.

I'd have a tough time trading any of the 3 young centers outside of MP though. I think Johansson will ultimately be a wing. He reminds me somewhat of Bondra. He has the speed to blow by people and his lack of size wouldnt be as much of an issue on the wing. Plus both Eakin and Kuznetsov are built more for a physical (but skilled) game up the middle.

I think Kuz is the most elite of the prospects, esp given his WJC performance, but I have to wonder if teams will risk trading for him, given the possibility he might not come over from Russia if he doesn't like his new destination (and the KHL antes up to keep him happy there).

I wouldnt want to trade Eakin either though because he's that fiesty Canadian heart and soul two-way player type that they've lacked for awhile now.

I do realize that you have to give to get, and I want GMGM to make a big move, but if any of the 3 guys I mentioned are moved he better have a boatload coming back.

Posted by: chombie13 | February 17, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@Gould - MP, DS, a 1st AND a 3rd for Weiss?? Are you nuts? Go back and look at his numbers.

@chombie - I agree, trading MaJo for any of these supposed 2nd line centers would be idiotic. MaJo has real potential and has already started showing it. Haven't seen Kuz or Eakin, but from what I read those don't make much sense either.

Much of what I read above is making a move just to be able to say you made a move. With few exceptions, I don't think those guys get us where we want to be.

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 17, 2011 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Re: Green's ear - strikes me with an inner ear injury that there's no way he should ever have gone on a plane. But then maybe that's how they found out about the injury (like hammering a hairline fracture with an anvil)...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 17, 2011 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Ok on the 2c's:

trade deadline moves almost always help the sellers more than the buyers because the frenzy drives the prices up. Remember the frenzy around Derek Morris a few years back?

The CBY guys are out because their contracts are too long. Ixnay on them. That leaves Weiss. Does that put us over the top? Nope. It looks like Majo may work with Semin as long as Majo - who's obviously a very bright kid - keeps retrieving that puck.

I do like the trade someone mentioned for Samuelsson (?) of the nucks...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 17, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse