Posted at 9:52 AM ET, 02/28/2011

On Hockey: As trade deadline nears, Capitals shouldn't be finished yet

By Tarik El-Bashir
Tarik El-Bashir

Plucking Marco Sturm off the waiver wire Saturday was a good start for the Washington Capitals, who, somewhat inexplicably, still can't score consistently, either at even strength or on the power play.

But fans had better hope it's not General Manager George McPhee's only move before today's 3 p.m. trade deadline. The Flyers, Lightning, Bruins and Penguins -- teams 1-4 in the Eastern conference standings --all have made moves and, presumably, are better than before.

The Capitals could certainly benefit from the addition of a playoff-proven, second-line center and possibly a capable defenseman, too.

Off all the rental pivots linked to the Capitals, the one who makes the most sense is Devils veteran Jason Arnott, who, according to reports, is willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to a playoff-bound team. Yes, he's past his prime and has been ice cold as of late, playing on New Jersey's third line and getting an occasional shift with Ilya Kovalchuk. But it's possible the 36-year-old could be reinvigorated by playing alongside Capitals winger Alexander Semin. Just as important, the asking price, depending on demand, figures to be a draft pick.

Arnott has a Stanley Cup ring (he scored in double overtime of Game 6 to clinch the Cup for the Devils in 2000), and possesses the perspective of a 17-year veteran and a former captain, having worn the 'C' in Nashville. So he could help the Capitals on the ice and in the room.

The young man who currently occupies that job, rookie Marcus Johansson, is far more comfortable than he was in October. And from all appearances, the 20-year-old is going to be a solid two-way contributor for a long time. But he's never suited up for an NHL playoff game and is winning only 40.7 percent of his faceoffs. Johansson could also learn a thing or two from a veteran such Arnott (or someone else). Think about the effect Sergei Fedorov had on Washington's youngsters upon his arrival at 2008 deadline.

I'm less concerned about an addition on defense. But that could be because there isn't much solid information about the injuries to Tom Poti and Mike Green. If Poti can return later this season, as McPhee believes, and Green's latest injury isn't long term, then it's possible the Capitals won't need any help at all. Preventing goals hasn't been the problem most nights, anyway.

It's always tough to get a read on McPhee, who has one of the best poker faces in all of pro sports. And, I'll admit, I'm still not sure what to expect from him even after a 15-minute interview a few hours before Friday's 6-0 loss to the Rangers on home ice.

"I don't anticipate taking anything out of our lineup," McPhee said. "If we did anything, it would only be to add."

McPhee did, however, say that his fellow general managers have been attempting to pry away his prized prospects.

"Some of them have a certain player's name on the brain and it doesn't matter what you say, it always comes back to that player," McPhee said. "You can tell them 10 times we're not trading that player and they continue to ask. But we've made it clear that we've got four, probably five players that aren't with our team right now that are untouchables."

He wouldn't name names, but I'm thinking he's talking about Braden Holtby, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Dmitri Orlov and Cody Eakin.

"If there was ever a star that would make a difference, you would consider it," McPhee added. "But there's none of that out there."

Weighing present needs versus future returns is not the only risk McPhee must consider.

Last season, he did a little too much GM-ing at the deadline. He added Joe Corvo, Scott Walker and Eric Belanger to a lineup that already was well on its way to the franchise's first Presidents' Trophy and the top seed in the playoffs.

The additions were viewed in the dressing room with skepticism. More important, the newcomers disrupted the team's near-perfect chemistry.

Coach "Bruce [Boudreau] was shuffling guys in and out," winger Mike Knuble said the other day. "It got a little awkward, even for pro hockey, guys used to be on the edge and things changing quickly. You've been here with the team and settled into your role, then all of sudden there are a bunch of bodies around. Guys were playing well but still [sitting] out, and that was frustrating."

That said, this isn't the 2009-10 Capitals, as Brooks Laich told The Sports Junkies last week.

Something's definitely missing.

And now McPhee and his staff have five hours in which to find it.

By Tarik El-Bashir  | February 28, 2011; 9:52 AM ET
Categories:  El-Bashir On Hockey, George McPhee, Trade deadline
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ask the Caps: Mathieu Perreault answers your questions
Next: Jared DeMichiel practicing with Capitals, David Steckel leaves practice

Comments

@tom, I think that Eakin was very close to making it this year, considering he was one of the last cut the team seems to agree. Not every player needs to get some AHL time first. I think that he will be ready at the start of the season to be a #3C. MJ might not put up great offensive numbers but he will help cover up some of the defensive mistakes that his wingers will make especially if he is with Semin.

Also TSNBobMcKenzie LAK Justin Williams signs a four year deal worth $14.6M .

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey I finally got that post in before a new thread started!

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Will Santa come to town, or will the Grinch steal Christmas?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@poker. I predict Santa comes but we don't get the one toy we asked for the entire month of December and are forced to pretend we like this toy we didn't want.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@Ice, yeah Sarge has picked up his blocking ability, yet I still think he is a weak link with his lack of grit and meanness for his size going into the playoffs

I do hope the Caps can land a 2C, I imagine they are close to such a trade given that MP is in Chocotown...

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 28, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I would say Semin isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: kgain73 | February 28, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

They got rid of that Perrault thread pretty quickly. Did he already get traded?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Semin sticks

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Semin isn't going anywhere. True.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that McPhee won't make any significant moves and we are going to have to deal with the roster they way is it currently. Sturm is a good addition but not significant.

Posted by: SkinstownUSA | February 28, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I would love to add McDonald and Penner. McDondald wont cost much, Penner a 1st and a prospect.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Allen
#nhltrade Told by a general manager that he is surprised by how many players arele available in the marketplace.

I hope that is good news for us.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather see us keep Carlson, Alzner, and Johansson (the assets teams are reportedly interested in), than give away a promising rookie for a rental. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Semin traded, as he's a shrinking violet in the playoffs and never seems willing to get his nose dirty.

Posted by: Fletch_F_Fletch | February 28, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@Jim, not saying that Sarge is a must stay but I would much rather have him then Souray.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fletch_F_Fletch | February 28, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't get his nose dirty? Ask Marc Staal about that. :)

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Boyes to Sabres for 2nd round pick

Posted by: RITdude | February 28, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

yeah, the fear of getting you're @ss bongoed.

Posted by: guer_j | February 28, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I always find it amazing that everyone says Semin sucks in the playoffs. He is exactally the same in the playoffs as he is in the regular season. He can be great like he was at the start of the season or against Philly and NY and he can be horrible like when he went over two months without a goal or the last two playoff series. He is what he always is but he is not always horrible in the playoffs.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

[your] SP

Posted by: guer_j | February 28, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Billy Jaffe
My gut tells me Wash and SJ will each make a move or 2 that kinda surprises people. Caps obviosuly need a 2nd ctr and SJ a good dman

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Varly not practicing. Jared DeMichael or whatever his name is is on the ice.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Katie Carrera
So goaltender Jared DeMichiel is on the ice with the #Caps at KCI.

So is Varly still "hurt" or is he really being traded? Love deadline day it always gets me thinking.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Or Hatcher. I'm clinging to that Flyers series as hard as I can.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 28, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

ice: I don't see how eakin can be "untouchable" unless we project him as a future Ovi/Backie. Really. Pat Peake was Canadian Major Jr Player of the Year (all Jr leagues) for 1992-93 and it was n't until late in 95-96 season in NHL (after Portland time) that he BEGAN to show NHL flashes. MaJo, this year, to be honest, has been a marginal/adequate #3.

Why do we think Eakin will step in next year and do so well at NHL level?

If he scores more than 25 NHL pts next year I will eat my shoe.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Something tells me Varly will be part of huge trade, probably involving at least 4 Caps players.

Posted by: guer_j | February 28, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

IMHO - Team needs to do something major to shake things up, but I agree I don't see it happening. GMGM is too enamored with holding on to prospects and future draft choices - not that I would trade Eakin either.

Fact is - 2010/11 Caps can't find their identity and BB has lost the team. I don't think he is the worst coach but team is clearly not listening to him anymore. They need to do something major to change the mix but I don't see it happening this close to the deadline.

I would trade Shultz for a Ham Sandwich - should have done it last year when he had some value. That guy is a stiff, I think a cardboard cut-out back there could play as effectively.

Looks like a 1st round playoff match-up vs. the Penguins and hopefully not on the golf course until at least May this year.

Posted by: rskinsfan | February 28, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

It is amazing to me that the only players that seem to do no wrong on here by the ones that pee on this blog are Erskine and Hendricks. Is it because the bar is so low for them, or simply because they rattle teeth, in Erskine's case, sometimes at a very bad time leading to a glorious scoring chance?

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

First, we only pee on this blog because we have you to lick it up. Secondly, Erskine and Hendricks earn every penny of their NHL paychecks and don't float around the ice like some entitled prima donnas.

As for Erskine giving up "glorious" scoring chances while seeking teeth to rattle, that's the nature of the beast when it comes to that style of hockey. However, I can't think of a time this year he's done that...now it's pinching in or getting caught too low like the other night.

I'd rather see a goal scored by Erskine launching himself at the wrong time instead of resulting from ****55's brand of flag-hockey. Simply put, Erskine's gaffes are no more/less than any of the other dmen, including any and all of the chosen ones.

BB MUST GO!! (two)

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 28, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Hope everyone is ready for the fireworks....or not.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

My guess is nothing happens until waiver claims go through at noon.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

if you think McDummy will make amove, prepare to be disappointed. Marco Sturm, please!

Posted by: doughless | February 28, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@tom, I see Eakin as being our version of J. Staal in Pittsburgh. Not by next year but in year after next he will be close but not as big. Not the greatest offensive numbers but great defensive ability. I would not be surprised if either he or MJ move to wing at some point otherwise when Kuzzy gets here we will have 4 real good C's. If we were really just one player away then maybe we could trade Eakin is it got us that player but we aren't that close and there is no reason to hurt our future that big for this year.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@rskinsfan

I agree. McPhee needs to go to business school. The phrase "sell high" is new to him.

If we are not in a conference final, this season is a HUGE FAILURE. Everyone associated with this team, GM on down, should believe their jobs are in jeopardy.

You don't get a sense from McPhee that his job is in jeopardy. As a fan of this team, who has witnessed collapse after collapse, that is what I find most disturbing.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Mark Stuart signs extension in Atlanta...5.1 million over 3 years.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Guys,

I had a chance to watch Jared DeMichael last season here at RIT. He's a pretty good goalie and took the team to the frozen four for the 1st time in school's history. But not sure if he will start in the NHL anytime soon.

Posted by: RITdude | February 28, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

People here are very pessimistic about the playoff, but I think this year, psyche wise, the Caps are a better team. Last season they were overly confident. I still remember a game 5 pregame interviewed Ovechkin did; he said something like “we’ll win, if not today, then the next game”. I think that’s the reason they lost, they thought the series was in the bag. After a big dose of humble pie last season, they definitely don’t have the same mentality now. So far, for big games this season, they had delivered, barely, but got the job done.

Posted by: guer_j | February 28, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Dvorak to Atl for Bergfors and Rismiller

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

FLA trades Dvorak to ATL for Bergfors and Rissmiller.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

ANd here you guys go:

TheFourthPeriod Just hoped on Team 990 in Montreal with @TonyMarinaro ... while on air, received msg that Caps' Semin is in play. No guarantees, though.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

ice: I'm not disagreeing with you.

BUT, no matter what happens, we need a #2C thru end of next season. Neither MaJo nor Eakin can be expected to be Koivu types by then, and that's the type of #2C you need to be a Cup challenger.

Let's take Jordan Staal for a minute. Here he is in like his 5th NHL season and he's just now stepping up to #2C. And he was like 3rd overall pick! And we think Eakin or MaJo might do some of that next year?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

vermontcaps: Why do you always try to make things personal? Everything about your post was absolutely fine except the 1st sentence. THOSE are the kind of sentences that make the internet a crappy place to debate because computer geeks don't talk crap when they are face to face with people. Lick these balls and crap like you said are stupid. This is an informal place, that's for sure, but so is a bar where this stuff is dicussed with fellow caps fans like me all the time, and whether or not we agree, things phrases like the ones aren't used in person. Maybe things like "whatever," "you don't know what you're talking about," "you're wrong," but not juvenile ones. I venture to guess that is because people tend to respect each other more in person, and the fear of an actual physical confrontation keeps things more civil too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Please, please, please. Find a new home for Semin. His return, and possible cap relief, would be really nice.

If Montreal lands Arnott, it's really gonna force McPhee's hand.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the Caps should touch Arnott with a ten foot pole, if they are looking for leadership. I live in Nashville, and it is clear that the Predators were happy to get rid of his brand of leadership. I don't know if the problem was in the locker room, off the ice, or both. What I do know is that the team has expressed enthusiasm about his being gone.

Posted by: gustafson16 | February 28, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

looks like arnott to montreal may go down

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Trade deadline day folks. Let's talk about the deals.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Billy Jaffe
FLA also in talks with another SE div team on moving a dman...could happen soon.

next tweet
Poti still out and with Green potential head issues it makes sense for Caps to get another skilled dman. I also expect Caps to get a center

Sounds like the two tweets go together.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Mike Vogel
My own take on what's in store for #caps today: can't see a goalie going unless it's a blockbuster. Believe Caps would deal 1st-rounder.

Is GMGM finally going to trade a real pick to get a real player?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

What dman would Florida move?

I expect lots of moves once noon hits.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

Dennis Wideman potentially

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

"By 2012-13 and 2013-14 we should have a great center corps. We need that bridge, though, and have needed it since last summer. "

... and who are the wings ?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 28, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Poti lasted all of 20 min today at practice. Can't we just get rid of him someway? It is like Nylander all over again.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

question(s) for all of you:

I went to Hershey game yesterday. Souray looked pretty good on the PP. Would/could/should we do something about it him?

High salary, but at this point, I think Edmonton would have to shoulder some of that. However is that salary sharing just this year or next year too?

Finally, is he just done and not worth it?

Posted by: jerry2178 | February 28, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

who on the FLA blueline would the Caps need/be able to get?

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

McPhee committed to 2 more years of Poti. If we "Nylander" him, that is the same as McPhee handing in his resignation.

He should be put on LTIR immediately.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@icehammer

if Poti is hit right now, his groin muscle could become detached from the bone. That is basically what he is dealing with. He's trying to build the muscle back up without surgery. So he skates and then when contact starts hes off the ice.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@jerry2178 see two threads ago.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@icehammer97

Trading a real pick doesn't necesseraly imply that you get a real player who will make the team better ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 28, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

... and who are the wings ?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 28, 2011 10:52 AM

Unknown as of now.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't see MaJo being anything else than a really good #3C that occasionally can fill the role of a #2 in the near future, much like Jordan Staal. And if one of our prospects should be traded it's Eakin. Love what I saw from him during the JWC, but if it lands us the true #2 (Stastny please) I would gladly trade him.

Is there any chance that we could lure James Van Riemsdyk away from Philly?
They don't have much space to resign him after this year with Leino still unsigned, he could be a good 2nd-line Winger for us.

Posted by: Walle | February 28, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@Pat, yea when I posted that there hadn't been a tweet yet about that being when contact started. However even when healthy I would not put him in our top 6 D and still wish there was some way to get rid of him but I agree we can't Nylander him because if we do that again so soon FAs will question if they want to come here for fear the same thing could happen to them.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Was Steckel pulled off the ice?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Spezza anyone?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 28, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@Walle Colorado has already said Paul is staying. I also see no way Philly trades JVR. They want to win a Cup this year and aren't thinking about next year right now.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@underpants not that I have seen, or was that a joke?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't a joke. Someone on Twitter made reference to it.

I was asking.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

Yes he left practice

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@underpants. Ok with all the stuff I am bouncing between I couldn't tell if I had missed something. First trade deadline day at work is different, I miss sitting at home on this day.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@icehammer

If I were to trade away an asset I would also say he wasn't going anywhere to drive up the price. No-one's untradeable!

That's kind of funny, because I already am. No matter how badly I want us to win this year, I still think this ship has sailed. Philly is in good shape though!

I thought I saw him sent down to the AHL recently, and they are really stacked with wingers, so why not?
If JVR could be had during this offseason I'd jump on it though. A 1st and a prospect?

Posted by: Walle | February 28, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

Dont know why he did, but Vancouver was looking for a 4th line C that is good on faceoffs. But he could just not feel well.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Talk about procrastinating and leaving everyone guessing. I have no idea what to expect, but GMGM better make something happen because the Caps need tweaking.

Posted by: SirPelleas | February 28, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

And here it is

SkyKerstein Sky Kerstein (beat writer for 106.7 Thefan)
by JapersRink
#Caps Steckel has left practice

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

what would we actually get in return for steckel?

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

From Ducks beat guy RT @icemancometh: Ducks interest in Konopka believed to be very serious. 57.5% on faceoffs (fifth in NHL).

Maybe the Ducks if they can't get Konopka?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Also another reporter is saying the Caps say Semin isn't in play. Who the hell knows whats going on. I give up.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

let's roll the dice as is for the playoffs. the team has got to man up.

Let go CAPS!

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | February 28, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Mike Brophy
Despite reports to contrary, Caps say Semin NOT in play today

Pierre LeBrun
Capitals source say theyr'e NOT in on Brad Richards for those who wondered

Pierre LeBrun
Islanders asking for a second-round pick for Zonopka

So if the Isles are looking for a 2nd teams who don't want that price maybe a 3rd for Steckel?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta
Islanders trade Konopka to Anaheim for a 2nd RD pick

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Now it seems that the Ducks trade isn't final yet

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This nuts. I am sitting here going round and round read stuff every where and it just crossed my mind, imagine being a player today on a team that is a seller. Bet that sucks :)

Posted by: bqts | February 28, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

HockeyyInsiderr Hockeyy Insiderr
Hearing #caps are going to make a move soon. Steckel could be an asset they move. Hearing they are in on Macdonald, Vokoun and Connolly.

Posted by: samb99 | February 28, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

If Steckel is moved, IMO we will see big things today.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

That may be the first time I have seen Stekel and asset in the same sentence not quoting GMGM

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta
Islanders trade Konopka to Anaheim for a 2nd RD pick

Posted by: icehammer97

A guy that could have been had for nothing this summer? I like Konopka, but this is overpayment by the Ducks. This just shows the importance of getting players well before the deadline.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 28, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

And as the article states, last year's trade with Corvo, Walker, and Belanger was a terrible decision.

Posted by: SirPelleas | February 28, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

ThePat - still 99% sure Semin isn't going anywhere. Leaving 1% only b/c anything can happen.

Steckel has left practice. No apparent injury.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I will be disappointed if we only add Arnott.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

We better get something good in return if we are to trade out top face off % guy

Posted by: bqts | February 28, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

GMGM doesn't have the guts to make a big trade. While Pittsburgh has made deals with all of their injuries and are dealing from a position of weakness, they aren't willing to mail it in for the playoffs. It's almost as if GMGM wants to show Ted that the Caps can't win with BB as coach so it's easier not to make any bold moves.

Sturm is coming of a knee reconstruction and L.A. put him on waivers. Does anyone see him being a Top 6 forward on a playoff team? Arnott is a band-aid - not even as a good an addition as Belanger last year. If the Caps were looking to really make improvements, a trade would have been made weeks ago.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 28, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

semin left the ice also

Posted by: samb99 | February 28, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'd love for them to switch out Steckel and bring in Konopka in a separate move. Think of Hendricks - Konopka - Bradley in the playoffs.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 28, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

What? Semin?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

ESPN has a great blog right now . Melrose and Lebrun and the other crew are on answering questions. . Anyone it was great last year. Make sure you behave yourselves if you go on there.

Posted by: pkme | February 28, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

yeah, i am on the ESPN blog converation now. Very cool. Real hockey experts over there.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Semin's agent has not been contacted. Folks Semin is staying. Has to be. Good depending on who you talk too. The ESPN live blog is really good and goes all day.

Posted by: pkme | February 28, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I seriously LOLed that we are trading Semin again. Green got better chance to get traded then Semin.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 28, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Per TSN: Caps get D Wideman from FLA for prospects

Posted by: YouAreABigWhiner | February 28, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

god, WHY? Wideman sucks.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 28, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Don't get this at all unless Green is done for the year. We got enough Wideman types. Argh..

Posted by: rskinsfan | February 28, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

What's the point of speculation that ends in disappointment? We should cross our fingers but certainly shouldn't hold our breath. Go Caps!!

Posted by: MaxnDC | February 28, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

2 concussions in a week and the wideman trade. I'd say it's official, Green is done for the year.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | February 28, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Wideman is a good PP guy. It would have been nice to get a left-handed shot. Traded a 3rd round pick & a piece of ECHL trash, so really no harm there.
Capgeek shows the Caps over the salary cap but, a Sloan waive would get us under. He has less chance of getting claimed then DJK.

Posted by: chriscaps | February 28, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse