A.O. Not Starting ASG; Hanlon to Scout

Here's the injury report (based on who's on the ice):

*Michael Nylander (shoulder) has returned after missing practice yesterday, which was his second absence from a non-game day practice in a week.

*Matt Pettinger is back, too, but he's on a line with four players, so his status would appear to be up in the air.

*Defensemen Tom Poti (upper body) and Brian Pothier (concussion) are not on the ice, so that means Steve Eminger will likely skate in back-to-back to games for the first time this season tomorrow against Colorado.

*Frederic Cassivi is still here, so I'm assuming that means Brent Johnson's status has not been determined--yet.

*Also no sign of Ben Clymer, who was placed on re-entry waivers yesterday.

*Chris Clark is also out there for a second straight day. That's significant because it means he's not sore after yesterday's hard skate.

Here are the forward combinations:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Nylander-Semin
Laing-Steckel-Gordon
Brashear-Laich-Bradley/Pettinger
Clark

The 'D' pairings:
Morrisonn-Green
Schultz-Jurcina
Eminger-Erskine

Update: The NHL announced the All-Star Game starters this morning. Check it out here. (Ovechkin is not among them.)

Update: George McPhee just said that he recently offered former head coach Glen Hanlon a position as a pro scout. McPhee said that Hanlon told him he planned to accept the job. He'll start soon, according to McPhee, and will be based in our area. Hanlon has one more year remaining on his contract with the organization.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 8, 2008; 10:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clymer on Re-Entry and P.M. Injury Update
Next: Clymer Clears

Comments

Of all of the Washington Sports teams to have an executive leave, it had to be the Redskins. Good luck to you and your family Joe.
p.s. can you take Dick P. and gmgm w/ you?

Posted by: someone else who knows | January 8, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

How is Semin?

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Turned out Larry Brooks was right after all? ...hmmmm

Dec. 14, Corey Masisak: I asked Nylander about Larry Brooks' assertion in today's New York Post that it is a rotator cuff injury, and he shook his head and said, "He thinks he knows everything, but sometimes he doesn't know anything."

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Ridiculous, AO isn't even a starter at the All Star Game, we really needed to have had voting set up in VC, something to stay competitive with the free ride given to Syndy.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Don't you mean to say that Ovechkin is NOT among the starters? He's not one of the top 3 Fs.

(Yes, he will make the team, but that doesn't make him a starter.)

Posted by: old time hockey | January 8, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Never mind, that was fixed

Posted by: old time hockey | January 8, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

yep. fixed.

Posted by: Tarik | January 8, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

We'll know something about Clymer by noon today, right?

Posted by: on ice | January 8, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I know a lot of people are down on Nylander, but I am pretty scared about what our lineup would look like offensively without him. I also think Nylander is a huge reason why Backstrom has been developing so nicely.

Posted by: Sombrero guy | January 8, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about being an All-Star Starter...Win a Cup.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 8, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin not a starter... This is a disgrace. So sad. Hypothetically, would he be a starter is he was playing north of the border?

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Tarik- Are you going to the STH party thing on Thurs?

Posted by: K | January 8, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

He is not a starter because he did not get the votes. Look how many Canadiens are on the all-star team and starting.

I think they should look at stats - Semin should have been on the All-star balot last year and Green should be on it this year.

It's just a popularity contest... just means more rest for our team.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero guy

I have to agree with yo on Nylander. He had a slow start but has looked really good lately. Sure, there are times when he should shoot instead of pass, but he is still a great playmaker and handles the puck so well.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | January 8, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Please put Pett back on the first line instead of Kozlov until Clark is ready!! Please BB!!!

Posted by: sean | January 8, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I can maybe deal with Alfie, Vinny, and Sid being voted in before Alex, but FREAKING DANIEL BRIERE got more votes than him. That's just a disgrace to all the Caps fans who didn't vote.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin deserves to be a starter. More so than Alfredsson (sp?) for example.

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

if Montreal gets him, he'll be a starter

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone is surprised. I mean the guy has been trailing this whole time. I voted a couple times a day but it didn't do any good. The fact of the matter is that for some reason people in this area just do not follow hockey and just don't care...I know a lot of it has to do with the lockout...there are a lot of people who said they stopped watching it after that...

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Finn-
If OV plays for a Canadian team, you are damned skippy he's a starter.

828-
He didn't get the votes because the majority of the votes come out of Canada.

I know it might sound like I am anti-Canadian but I am not.
The game as a whole is simply more important to them that it is to us.
It's a cultural thing.

Posted by: pmoravek | January 8, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Just a couple of thoughts. OV is 6th in the east in scoring. You can make a case that Kovalchuk should have been a starter rather than Alfredsson, but OV...not really.

Then there is the fact that the starters will play for 30 seconds and then change.

I am intrigued by Nylander's apparant denial of the specific of his injury. If he is playing hurt 6pts in the last 4 games is all the more impressive.

Posted by: Rob | January 8, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget - Singing Happy Birthday for Bruce on Wednesday

The Plan: As the first TV time out after 10:00 in the second period starts we start (note the red light by the Caps penalty box). Anybody who can, make a small sign (Happy Birthday Bruce {Gabby} is all we need) so others will know what's up.
Spead the word!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | January 8, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

It's noon... what's the word on Clymer?

Posted by: Tracy | January 8, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

It's about being one of the best guys out there. And he is. Much better than Alf, Briere (puked in my mouth a little bit), etc.

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please copy and paste the all star starters and rosters onto this message board????

My lovely office only allows me access to this website.

HELP!

Posted by: Ovie should start | January 8, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

1)Ovechkin not getting voted in is absurd. Of course he will be among the 'added', but since its afans ballot, Cap fans can only blame themselves for not voting 'early and often'
2) It will be an equal travesty if Green isn't among the defenders 'added'

Posted by: Fauxrumors | January 8, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Eastern Conference
Martin Brodeur
Andrei Markov, Zdeno Chara
Sidney Crosby, Vinny Lecavalier, Daniel Alfredsson

Western Conference
Roberto Luongo
Nicklas Lidstrom, Dion Phaneuf
Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Jarome Iginla

Posted by: Fauxrumors | January 8, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks

Posted by: Ovie should start | January 8, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many votes Kolzig got :)

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@Finn,

I know he got yours...

Posted by: old time hockey | January 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

As many times as Kolzig could vote

Posted by: Ovie should start | January 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Olie got 34,712 votes

Posted by: Tracy | January 8, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Tracy

Wrong number there...that 34,712 is the season to date attendance at Caps games.

Posted by: Ovie should start | January 8, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me why Fleischmann keeps taking up space on the roster? I cannot understand what he brings to this team. He is the weakest player on the puck on the whole team. Basically, as a defender, if you skate nearby Flash, he will give up the puck. Then he'll make a halfhearted stab at a pokecheck and skate back. He's not even a great shooter when he does have the puck - what, with like 5 goals this year? Yeah, he made a decent play on Saturday for the winner, but that was 4-on-4, and no one skated nearby him.

I would much rather see someone with some grinding skills on that 2nd line, like Laich. He doesn't have the hands of a pure offensive talent, but the dude works his butt off and is a great forechecker who can contribute the odd goal here and there.

How many more chances is Flash going to get?

Posted by: katzistan | January 8, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I have heard from an NHL contact that Clymer cleared waivers at noon.

Posted by: Jay | January 8, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

old time hockey,

You are absolutely right! He is the reason we will win the Cup! NOT

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

oMight have made a difference to if fans had to register and could only vote once. Sometimes i think Crosby fans have way too much time on their hands...

Posted by: cs | January 8, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Get Ovie into the playoffs and we'll see him get the votes next year.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | January 8, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

OV will make the All Star team, just wish so much did not hinge on the fan vote. Is the whole All Star team determined that way, or is there another system used to determine the rest of the field?

Anyway, the starters get the first shift and then the rest get on the ice. Will be interesting to see who OV ends up with on his line. I can think of some interesting possibilities.

Posted by: Kim | January 8, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

No one wants Clymer for half his salary, guess he is stuck in Hershey and we are stuck paying him an NHL salary to play in the NHL. Hope he is making retirement plans. Eminger stinks!

Posted by: Bob | January 8, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bearcap12 | January 8, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, why has BB broken up the Laing Steckel Bradley line? That line has been great together but its been disrupted. Has he mentioned why?

Posted by: I dont get it | January 8, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I cant believe Eminger was not named an All-Star starter.

Posted by: Steve Eminger | January 8, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I have to disagree with the people saying that Alfredsson shouldn't be a starter. Crosby is the one who shouldn't be a starter (and I'm not just saying that because I hate Crosby as much as the rest of you guys). If all was right in the world (which it's not), than the starters would be Ovechkin/Kovalchuck on the left side, Lecavelier at center, and Alfie on the right wing.

Posted by: Stephen | January 8, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

good for hanlon. he's a quality guy, one i'm happy to keep in the organization.

i don't know what it pays, but being a pro scout sounds like a pretty decent job.

Posted by: pgreene | January 8, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Being a pro scout sucks

They've had to offer him something..Im not sure how his contract is working but if they are still paying him im sure they had to offer him something to justify the salary for the time being.

He'll have enough of scouting in a few months.

Posted by: Jpo | January 8, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I guess the other players are playing better, but OV is playing the best hockey of his young career. Sure, give Lecavlier the start in the all star game, i don't care. I'd rather be playing like we are than like the Lightning are. Anyways, I'd like to see OV go out and score some goals in the all star game and make a statement of why he should have been a starter.

Posted by: Scott | January 8, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The Hurricanes claimed Samsonov.?

I think the Pro Scout job is just to run the last year off his contract. Hanlon had a year left anyway so this ties up loose ends, nothing unusual.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 8, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

our scouting has been awful and this is just adding to it. Hanlon will only scout players who he think would fit into his system, not BB's. I wish a coach would have more say into their players. Its like they say in the movie Miracle: "I dont need the best players, i need the right players"

Posted by: Pro scout? | January 8, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Actually I think Lecavlier should be on the starting line up. I like his play. Although Crosby is leading with points aren't most of his points coming from secondary assists? If so I don't think that is really indicative of his greatness as a player.

Posted by: K | January 8, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

That IS the guy that played on the Bruins - how come we don't get people like that? Not saying he is all world, but I remember him to be pretty darn good.

It's moves like this that will get the Hurricanes into the playoffs. I think passing Bryz was even worse.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

gmgm is horrible. When are we going to get rid of him and bring someone in who can build a real team!

Posted by: K | January 8, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I think our scouting has been just fine. How many people admire our young talent - not the ones that are playing now, but the ones that we have that are still in college or under 18. Not to mention people like Green, Steckle, Semin, Ovechkin (not too hard to scout him), etc. I think what has been bad is our picks of veterans like Jagr. And the lack of getting another goalie that can help win games.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
How many years are left on gmgm's contract?

Posted by: Curious George | January 8, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I can't understand why the Hurricanes would pick up Samsanov. He was horrible in Montreal last year and he has been even worse in Chicago this year !!!

Do the Canes know something the rest of the league doesn't know?

Posted by: red dragon | January 8, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Crosbytch is not the points leader. He leads the league in assists (by only 3), and most of them are secondary.

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Did you know that Nabokov of the Sharks has played all 41 games for them? That is insane - not to mention they have the 2nd best goals against average in the league.

I'm standing at my desk right now clapping.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@828,
Samsonov has been nothing like his days in Boston. Yes, he was a first rounder, 8th overall a decade ago but his numbers are low for a shooter. He is not a BGordon type. I would take Motzy over Samsonov anyday. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 8, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Good for Glenner. I hope he enjoys the work.

Better for Clarkie. Here's hoping he can play tomorrow.

Posted by: EricS | January 8, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to petition the bulletin board to discontinue the use of 'secondary assist.' An assist is an assist. The only time you ever hear it being referred to is in the Washington Post and on message boards.

Hockey players never fuss over who got the primary and secondary...many refs dont even take note of who was primary or who was secondary, just who touched the puck and not when.

Does is matter if Crosby has 30 secondary assists and 10 primary assists..a point is a point.

Posted by: jb | January 8, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Refs should get assists too since they touch the puck on face offs.

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

jb,

There are a lot of places that refer to it as a secondary assist. Some people wish they never had secondary assist - it's just another way for someone else to get a point. 60% of Crosby's points in his career have been secondary assists, while 20% of Alex's have been secondarys assists. Do the math.

Yikes, Kolzig got on the Saves of the Week video on nhl.com - his save is #7 vs Boston.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

BernieWolfeFan,

I see his stats now... I just remeber him to be pretty good when he was playing with Boston - thought he was younger as well.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Glenn Hanlon. I hope you enjoy the new job...and PLEASE do it well, we can't afford any more duds to be drafted.

Posted by: BSK | January 8, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I am gay.

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@828

not questioning your post, but where did you get those figures? I would love to have that at my fingertips next time my Penguins fan friends start on the Crosby worship

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 8, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

points are points.

primary and secondary assists are splitting hairs to make the argument seem what you want.

Now, did you go through every game log since both players started their careers?

Most likely not.

Posted by: jpo | January 8, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

It was in some article that showed who would have the most points if they got rid of secondary assists. I will try to find it. BTW - Alex was #1.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

What does career points have to do with anything. We were talking about this years points...

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

What if the tables were reversed...if this article is true...would you be advocating getting rid of secondary anything?

Posted by: JB | January 8, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Hurricanes probably picked up Samsonov to replace the scoring they lost in Williams.

Posted by: TAL | January 8, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

still looking, but I found this one: http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/boltsfan/2007/03/08/Who_Should_Be_the_NHL_MVP

So, if those stats are right - out of the 120 points Sid got last year, he would only earn 67 points because the other 53 were secondary assists.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@caphcky,
emmy, is that you? it's about time.

Posted by: don't ask don't tell | January 8, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

You are right - points are points. But, it shows how good Sid is when he gets a point from winning a faceoff or touching the puck in the defensive zone and Gonchar passes the puck to Malkin down the ice and Malkin scores.

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@ TAL

only problem is Samsonov doesn't score. Just look at his stats, he has 9 goals in his last 86 games and none this season in 23 games

Posted by: Mike | January 8, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

No. That was Schultz.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 8, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

And, if you want to go by this year's stats to determine who should start in the All-star game, you should go by ratings or something. Either way, someone up above hit the nail right on the head - LWs should be starting at the LW positions, RW, C, etc. Check this out - just pick the top person from East and West: http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/playerrankings/regularseason/LW

Posted by: 828 | January 8, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, have you seen this tripe? http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=12395

Apparently, Ovechkin and Kolzig rumored to be traded to Nashville.

I haven't stopped laughing yet.

Posted by: CCCP11 | January 8, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the bitterness that AO is not starting needs to just go away. This isnt like basketball, baseball, or football. Hockey players take 30-45 second shifts...He'll get plenty of ice time.

Get over it. As far as position goes..really..who cares. Just watch and enjoy the game.

Posted by: tommmmmm | January 8, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

If you want to beat down GMGM, do a better job than this Samsanov thing. Carolina is desperate for a forward, because of injuries. Williams out for the season. Cullen out with a concussion. Ladd out with a broken orbital bone. Not much at AHL that is NHL ready. They need a body.

Samsanov has 4 assists all season. You want him? Really?

Posted by: Rob | January 8, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Part of the reason that OVIe may not have received enough votes is that the NHL set up the online voting in a way that ended up favoring Crosby.

Players were listed alphabetically, and their names were displayed in a drop-down menu. When I went to look for Ovechkin in the Eastern Conference, I initially thought he wasn't listed and that and it took me a minute to find him in the drop-down menu. I can't remember for sure, but I think that there were only 3-5 players listed at the top of the menu and then you had to scroll down to find your other options.

I can see how a casual fan who is not all that familiar with the NHL might not make the effort to search for players other than the first few listed. It sure was set p so that is was easier to vote for folks like Alfredsson and Crosby rather than Ovechkin. Then again Zetterberg made it, so it also appears that Caps fans (or the lack thereof) share some of the blame.

Posted by: Ogilthorpe | January 8, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@CCCP11,
I hear ya. You think Ovie wants to be in Nashville?

@rob,
No, we don't. That has been the majority of the posts.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 8, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Could you imagine if they actually DID that trade? Management would be run out of town on a rail IF they were lucky.

That is funny! Wouldn't be much of a team left in Nashville if they did this deal.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 8, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@CCCP11-
You're right that is funny! Could you imagine what would happen to hockey in DC if something like that were to occur...talk about having a tough time filling seats!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Eklund is a dumba$$

Posted by: Finn | January 8, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd honestly rather Ovechkin *not* play in the All-Star game. It's just another game where someone can try to hurt him, and if he doesn't play well all we'll hear is how much better Crosby is. Even though he's not.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | January 8, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Well I don't think we have to worry about Alex not playing well....

Posted by: K | January 8, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Finn
That guy is the biggest hockey gossip out there.

Posted by: pmoravek | January 8, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Management would be run out of town on a rail? You'd have to find more than the 20 or so of us on here that give a rats to actually grab pitchforks and torches, which I don't see happening. The only thing it would do to WashCaps mgmt is sink their reputation across the league to a phenomenally new low never before seen.

Talk about a move that would destroy the legitimacy of the team and leave the fan base wondering where that truck came from. There is no way the franchise could afford to make this collosal a trade for the kind of assets availble on Nashville, let alone any other team (save Pittsburg).

Its a funny read, but if this kind of thing were to go down, I think I might just stop watching NHL hockey altogether.

Posted by: CCCP11 | January 8, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

That guy is just dumb. Why would you even say anything like that? If you're going to make something up at least make it believable...

Posted by: K | January 8, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Guys, gals,
The guy has been seriously hittin' the local Nashville moonshine. Let it go...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 8, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

What I find interesting about the All Star balloting is how low the vote totals are. The top vote getter in the east barely clears 500,000 and in the west it was less. And the drop offs after the first couple of vote getters is incredible.

The lead vote getter in the MLB All Star Game (Alex Rodriguez was the leading vote-getter with 3,890,515 votes) received more votes than probably voted in the entire NHL All Star game. (For the record there were 18.5 million votes total for the 2007 MLB All Star game.)

That says a lot, unfortunately, for the state of hockey acceptance among sports fans generally.

Posted by: kthhken | January 8, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Eklund on meth (E5)

Posted by: Jleftwing97 | January 8, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys read The Owners Corner on the Caps webpage today? Sounds like Ovie will be here until he's 27...

Posted by: K | January 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

scout1
Sports.
a. a person who observes and reports on the techniques, players, etc., of opposing teams.
b. a person sent out by a team to observe and recommend new talent for recruitment.

Based on the first definition Hanlon would be disqualified, as shown by record, since he couldn't figure out opposing teams systems or techniques when he was behind the bench.

As for definition two, as the earlier poster pointed out "whose system will he be scouting for?"

So you have the team playing well after Glen H's firing and responding to BB's direction. Now you go ahead and bring the fired coach back and place him as a part of your scouting staff. HHHHMMMM, that is just beyond comprehension. Even if he's a great guy and a great friend what does this do for your organization? Is it his evaluation of talent skills? When? Talent evaluators HHHHMMMMM, Yeah Rrrrrrright. OV is a defensive liability we want him to be a Messier/Yzerman type player, stated by Glen Hanlon during last years All Star Break, That's Comical!

Posted by: someone else who knows | January 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

kthhken, well, they do still pass out ASG ballots at baseball games. You're sorta sunk if you don't go to NHL.com or have a Verizon phone. And it's not like the NHL actually had a big "Click here to vote for the All-Star Game" banner on their website. It was one of the stories you actually needed to scroll to.

BTW does the NHL allow or advertise All-Star voting overseas? In MLB you have Ichiro getting a large Japanese vote and in the NBA Yao Ming has millions of Chinese votes.

Posted by: tallbear | January 8, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Tallbear: I agree with you. All Star games these days are major PR and Marketing opportunities for sports leagues to get their message out and showcase their players.

The inability of the NHL to use ALL means to promote interest in the All Star game, the players, and the league is another example in my view of the failure of the Commissioners Office, starting at the top with Bettman.

Those vote numbers are pathetic, and the Commissioners Office should be held accountable by the fans, owners, and players for their inability to execute something as simple as All Star Fan Balloting. The NHL should take a page from MLB's playbook on this one.

Posted by: kthhken | January 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Ovie/Kolzig to Nashville seems insane, but then, so did this:

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | January 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Huh, still no word on Benny? Since no one has claimed him does that mean he's going to get a roster spot here?

Posted by: captnclark | January 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@Someone Else...

Ted can't STAND spending money and not getting anything for it. Since they fired Hanlon, he's been paying off his contract since and has nothing coming back in return. So, offer him something "of value" to do.

Frankly, I'd leave him sit at home if it were up to me, and just pay him off.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

captnclark, Clymer not being claimed means the Caps are free to call him up during the next ten days or so. That's about it, there's no immediate change in his status.

Posted by: tallbear | January 8, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Is there a smaximum amount of time that Clymer can stay on waivers before he is sent back down to Hershey?

Posted by: Tryin to Learn | January 8, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"The NHL should take a page from MLB's playbook on this one."

let's hope not.

Posted by: Roger | January 8, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

here's a link with Ted's interview on XM -

sounds reassuring to me that AO, Green, Backstrom, etc.. aren't going anywhere.

Posted by: pch49 | January 8, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"sounds reassuring to me that AO, Green, Backstrom, etc.. aren't going anywhere."

That's what THEY want you to believe!

Posted by: someone who really really knows | January 8, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Roger: I remember that, everyone was so ticked off at Selig for that. My point is that MLB knows how to market the All Star Game, they may not know how to run one though, lol...

Posted by: kthhken | January 8, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@ tallbear
Ah, ok so it doesnt automatically mean he's on the roster then? Got it.

@Tryin' to Learn
Thats a good question. Anyone know?

Posted by: captnclark | January 8, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

kthhken,
just teasing...

Posted by: Roger | January 8, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@tryin
He is still with the Bears. He cleared waivers and someone above thought that for ten days the Caps can call him up, but his status with the Bears stays the same until they do.

Posted by: PC Caps | January 8, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

A lot of times pro scouts aren't just evaluating talent that might be acquired by a team but they are also taking notes so a team will know what to expect from the teams playing and can gameplan against them (a pro scout is different from an amateur scout, which evaluates players that are entering the draft)...not sure if that makes it better, but just thought it should be thrown out there.

Posted by: capinnh | January 8, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Hanlon to be a scout.......

Another reason why GMGM needs to be canned!

Posted by: Mitch | January 8, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@capinnh

It definitely doesn't make it better to look at it that way. :)

Posted by: keef | January 8, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Great News about Glen!(are you kidding me) I just heard GMGM is bringing Bruce Cassidy back as well to drive the Zamboni at Verizon.

Posted by: yougottabekiddingme | January 8, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

tarik-so what's the deal on Clymer was he claimed or what?

Posted by: DC FURY | January 8, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

@yougottobekidding: You almost have it right. The zamboni and Cassidy are heading back to Capital Centre! :-)

Posted by: Dezlboy | January 8, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Hola yo soy de bolivia y amo a los capitals no se preocupen soy legal,creo que OV es el mejor de la NHL,crosby es solo una nena que juega con malkin q es muy bueno en cambio OV no tiene a nadie en el equipo mas que un viejo de 35 anos como Nylander ,y otro inutil como Kozlov,backstron es bueno pero es un muchacho ,Semin es un lloron creo q el no quiere jugar en los caps.Go caps (dont worry i am a legal citizen ) jajaja

Posted by: jhon | January 8, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Now that Cassidy's name has come up, what was up with his tenure? Were there rumors about him having some personal problems or something like that.

Posted by: caps fan in tennessee | January 8, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@ Someone else who knows,
You're 100% correct regarding bringing Glen Hanlon back as a scout. My first reaction was, "Was it necessary for Ted to ok the decision?" But, after pondering it for a while, I realized it really doesn't matter. The bottom line is that George McPhee is the biggest LOSER I can recall at the pro sports Management level. His moves are almost laughable, they're so bizarre.
What really worries me is that if Ted will allow George to make a move as profoundly assinine as this, what chance is there of gmgm being relieved of his general manager's duties any time soon? Sadly, I believe the answer is, "Slim and none." And, that would be a tragedy of monumental proportions. I guess Ted Leonsis truly is clueless....

Posted by: Puckguru | January 8, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Why are people over reacting so much regarding Hanlon being named a scout for the organization? Has anyone ever doubted his ability to coach, guide and mentor younger players with talent?

Have we all completely forgotten what he did with young players in the AHL? Have we forgotten all of the good things that were said up until this year about his ability to get something out of nothing?

Seriously people, I know we are a people with extremely short attention spans and memories, but let's take a deep breath here.

Yes maybe Hanlon isn't cut out to be a NHL coach. Yes maybe Hanlon shouldn't be an advance scout. I'm not saying that Hanlon is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I've already stated in earlier posts that I was wrong in defended Hanlon for so long this year. But I am saying that scouting maybe the perfect position for him.

Posted by: Yosh | January 9, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse